[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are good examples of games or game franchises "jumping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: fsdfsd sdfAEfdj.jpg (103 KB, 600x921) Image search: [Google]
fsdfsd sdfAEfdj.jpg
103 KB, 600x921
What are good examples of games or game franchises "jumping the shark"? Game related media welcome as well.
>>
Metroid Other M
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Ninja Gaiden III
Assassins Creed III
Pokemon Gen IV
Halo 1
>>
>jumping the shark

What does this phrase mean
>>
>>319731336
In the show "Happy Days" the character Fonzie, jumped a shark on a set of water skiis, and the show was immensely popular, and rode this popularity constantly, trying to improve. The jump the shark scene was supposed to be amazing, and people thought it was retarded, and after that scene the show and its popularity were never the same, and people believed it killed the show's popularity. It's a show in the US, but now people say "Jumped the shark" when something good and popular gets retarded and people quit liking it as a result.
>>
>>319731197
Agree, except for Pokemon got a good recovery in gen V, and Ass is creed 4 was good except for the ass is creed portions. Good list though.
>>
>>319731629

This is correct. Popular examples of jumping the shark include Seven on Married with Children, or when Roseanne won the lottery.
>>
>>319732042
>seven on married with children

Is that the other kid they adopted?
>>
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
>>
>>319732327
Fucking this. The DS version was okay, added the giant mario feature and was kind a nice reboot, the wii counterpart was understandable, but this shit was crazy. Though I did enjoy New luigi u for the difficulty spike.
>>
>>319732042

Or Season 2 of Lost. Or Season 2 of Heroes. Or Season 2 of Marvels SHIELD. Or Season 2 of...
>>
>>319732832
Fucking tv man. So hard to get right. Usually good shows end due to low ratings after one season, or go past one season and fuck everything up.
>>
Did you like AVGN /v/?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
For a lot of people the Metal Gear Solid series has jumped the shark so many times where it's impossible to pinpoint a moment where the series became too insane for itself. I'm a little more tolerant than most I guess.

but that fucking jeep ride is where I finally lost it.
>>
>>319733695
Are you counting the original Metal Gear games as well?
>>
>>319733670
James Rolfe seems like a chill guy.

AVGN the character is trite garbage that's hugely responsible for shit-tier "gamer humor" on youtube, and other garbage personalities like Nostalgia Critic, whose voice makes my blood pressure rise. You can hear the reddit flowing within him.
>>
>>319733670
dunkey is the only e-celeb that I like
>>
>>319731197
If anything Pokemon Gen IV caused something of a renaissance for the franchise after a drop in popularity during Gen III. The introduction of internet capabilities into the series did wonders.

I think Gen V jumped the shark initially with how less conventional BW1 was as well as how Zoroark was forced as fuck early during then, but by BW2 they quickly got their shit together. Too bad about the weather wars.
>>
>>319733695
MGS1 didn't exactly have the most grounded story either what with crazy ninjas and psychic powers etc etc. It gets off on that kind of over the top thing that I don't think it jumped the shark at all.
>>
Didn't Gen 4 pokemon sell better than Gen 5?

Is Gen 5 actually more well-liked than 4 by anyone besides meta-game autists?
>>
>>319733843
His early videos, where he was not charactery, and legit critical of games were fun. But that's it really.

>>319733879
No clue who that is m8

>>319733917
Gen IV was to slow for me, as a big fan. Platinum fixed that though, so I can say it was a solid gen overall.
>>
Persona 4
>>
>>319730403
When Ubishit decided that Asscreed should go past 2012, you know, the entire goddamn point of the fucking series.
>>
>>319734314
Elaborate please. The second one more so for me, since Hitler was a bad guy in it.
>>
>>319730403
AVGN jumped the sark way before that.
>>
>>319734404
Agreed for sure, really early in his videos. But this literally killed his series. He does not do AVGN anymore really.

>>319734389
But muh yearly reprints, muh free money.
>>
>>319733670
I still kinda do.
Though the last episode that he had that made me laugh was either Atari Sports or Tiger Games.
Both of which reminded me of the Jaguar episodes because they were pretty informative.

Though, I didn't even watch the movie and probably won't for a while. It seems alright, but I wish it went with something more like Wayne's World.
>>
>>319734762
imo he should just switch to reviewing movies in a mostly-serious manner

just forget the comedy, forget the screaming, i wanna hear james talk about movies he likes
>>
>>319734065
Gen 4 is still pretty slow overall. I finally got my hands on Platinum a few months ago just to see how good it is over Diamond, but I just didn't feel it. Doesn't help that HGSS had most of the Platinum additions either.

>>319734061
I believe DPP and HGSS did sell better, yeah. Gen V itself was also quite short.

>Is Gen 5 actually more well-liked than 4 by anyone besides meta-game autists?

As far as /v/ goes, I often see people thinking that either Platinum, BW1, or BW2 was the best game compared to the rest of the mainline. Depends on what they look for in a Pokemon game.

Gen IV's meta I believe was more popular. Gen V meta is full of Drought Ninetails and Drizzle Politoed.
>>
>>319734762
I'm rewatching it, and a lot of the videos are cringy, but I like him reviewing the games when he is serious.

>>319734851
I want this movie, but legitimately with games, as in actually reviewing them seriously. It would be really cool.

>>319734931
I guess it varies. The changes in platinum helped the pacing a lot of me. Still could not get into Diamond after playing it either. HGSS was great, but that level scaling bullshit was still there.
>>
>>319734627
It's for the better. Board James clearly has more energy behind it, and James is pursuing stuff that interests him more often. AVGN seems only to exist because people expect it to exist.
>>
>>319730403
gears of war 2's multiplayer

MGSV: the entire game

Saints Row IV: basically Saints Row III DLC, the game

Devil May Cry (the new one)

and Battlefield Hardline
>>
File: 1449201001050.jpg (66 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
1449201001050.jpg
66 KB, 370x370
>>319733957

But that's what I'm saying, the series is used to that shit, serious government conspiracies combined with over the top cheesy action. But in order to really fuck things up in the MGS series you have to do that cringe worthy pretentious speech on this awkward jeep ride that's supposed to be the whole exposition to skull face's plan. When it just feels so farcical to whatever point Kojima was going to make on Race and Revenge.

MGS1 didn't pretense shit, just some stuff about genes and changing your fate which I can get behind no matter the spectacle. But when you seem too important for that shit and have no idea what the fuck your message is supposed to be? That's when things get stupid.
>>
>>319735084
>>I haven't watched it, probably because I didnt play as many board games growing up. I really liked the early reviews because I rented a shit ton of NES and up games in the past, so, I played a ton of the ones he reviewed.
>>
>>319735062
I've been rewatching them and it still holds my interests. Some episodes are better than others.

I do like the video game cover thing he's been doing recently.
>>319734851
He used to do that, and still does for Monster Madness.
I wonder why he doesn't do many movie reviews anymore.
>>
>>319735751
Holds my interest too, really videos where someone tags along and dresses up does it get cringy for me. I haven't watched the cover things. I guess I should if they're decent.
>>
>>319735970
Some of those are better than others. The Friday the 13th one is still one of my favorites because the other person in it was silent and mostly only stood in the background.

The Spider-Man one still has a certain value to me since it was the first one I watched.
>>
>>319733695
MGS is one big shark jump. It built its entire series on them.
>>
Halo: Reach
Metroid: Other M
>>
>>319735751

The video game cover thing is pretty much a ripoff of Yahtzee's cover thing. Even Yahtzee said so, but that he didn't want to start any shit between them.
>>
Serious Sam 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Saints Row The Third
>>
When did TF2 jump the shark?
>>
When did Simpsons jump the shark?
>>
>>319741875
There's so many fucking seasons so I can't pinpoint when, this is quite over the top but I don't think it put the series in decline

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo
>>
File: 350px-Mann_Co._Logo.png (14 KB, 350x110) Image search: [Google]
350px-Mann_Co._Logo.png
14 KB, 350x110
>>319741436
>>
>>319730403
Saints row IV to some degree, I liked the game but I know some people fucking hated how dumb it was.
>>
>>319732042
>Roseanne won the lottery
I honestly think this is even more appropriate than saying "jump the shark." The show was constantly funny throughout its entire run up until that point.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.