[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>crafting >item drops >open world >roguelike elements
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1446679252221.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1446679252221.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3000
>crafting
>item drops
>open world
>roguelike elements
>unlocks

will it ever end? will skinner box ever not be the most popular design tenet?
>>
>>316470245
I do like a lot of these elements, when done correctly or in the right dosage, but I agree, there is a bit too much in modern big games.

Like I picked up Mad Max for cheap (I think $17) and it's fun to an extent, but most of the time it feels like your just grinding very slowly for more crap to make your car very slightly better, and the world just has tonnes of 2-3 scrap sized piles everywhere.; I mean it's got all this, and instead of being able to walk and jump between cars and fight on war rigs all you do it ram stuff and punch stuff, not much variety really, I mean just cause looks like a better mad max game than mad max.
>>
>>316470536
name one game that does it right

fucks sake, i remember drakengard having a requirement to pick up hundred obtuse weapons in order to unlock crucial game contect. thank fuck for the written let's play.

MGS went from meticulously crafted areas to survival reshuffle extravaganza.
>>
>>316470868
>written let's play

You mean a walkthrough?
>>
File: 1349122557900.gif (464 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
1349122557900.gif
464 KB, 500x338
>>316470868
>>316471775
>>
>>316470245
You don't seem to have a grasp on what the Skinner box was.
>>
>>316470245
Nope, normies took this hobby over and to them, spreadsheets / grinding is their entire life, much like their overpaid gym sessions.

What was once cancarous carrot on a stick is now intentional, good design, because of this audience shift.

It's over, my man. It'll never go back to quality mechanics or exploration. It's all about grinding a progression bar and following an arrow now.

Get out while you still can
>>
>>316471775
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

>>316471894
skinner boxes slash gambling are the staple of modern gaming spearheaded by valve and actiblizz.

pull the lever, faggot.
>>
>>316470245
>will skinner box ever not be the most popular design tenet?
The last true Skinner box was WoW up until around 3.2.0, the "welfare epics" patch.
>>
File: 1279202106398.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1279202106398.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>316471993
>http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

Jesus Christ
>>
>>316471993
Dude... Stay in school. At the very least you could have googled it to at try to seem retarded.
>>
>>316472109
calm down sperg

have an upvote

there
>>
>>316470245
>skinner box
elaborate
>>
>>316472109
>tells others to stay at school
>can't write one line in simple english
top kek
>>
>>316472191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c
>>
>>316472162
Another fine post, anon.

Well I'll let you get back to being an ignorant retard now. Not that you have a choice in the matter.
>>
>>316472051
global offensive

hearthstone

every day z clone

mgs V

etc

>>316472191
just google skinner box and start from there

if you don't see behavioral science dominating modern gaming you have a lot to read
>>
>>316472387
thanks sperg

don't forget to pull the lever

maybe you'll get a better post next time :)
>>
>crafting
It's fun if it's like the alchemy in atelier games, crafting in western games is a shit though.
>roguelike elements
Permadeath is the exact opposite of a skinner box. Any skinner box that contains it is missing the point. There's nothing addicting about getting far with all of your upgrades and shit and then having to restart. Permadeath only belongs in games that require you to git gud rather than grind.

I think more games should employ the "I (never) WARNED YOU ABOUT GRINDING BRO" thing that SaGa games have going on. It makes avoiding enemies pretty tense since actually fighting too often will make the game literally impossible to beat. It has to be done exactly like SaGa though. Oblivion style level scaling is just retarded.
>>
>>316472857
permadeath is just one aspect of roguelikes

and it is completely in vogue with the gist of skinner box, given that it pushes you down the dungeon hole again

punishment and random rewards etc

just look how binding of isaac is a sperg magnet and then say it's not addicting
>>
>>316472415
>global offensive
?????
>>
>>316473268
do i really have to explain how valve's business model is based around gambling and random item drops that feed into auxiliary websites doing the free marketing for them in turn? you failed to notice ecelebs doing 'crate unboxing' for tens of thousands of gullible minds?
>>
>>316473468
it's not part of the core gameplay in any way shape or form, unlike in actual games where the core mechanics are based on Skinner's theory. So CSGO fails as an example in that list.
>>
>>316473962
people spend more time juggling crates than playing the game

it's like saying that game menus and options aren't part of the game.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.