[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western /u/ Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /u/ - Yuri

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
Post and discuss TV shows, movies, comics, animation, and games from the west that feature /u/.

Previous Thread:
>>2034866
>>
File: tumblr_o63ryzYm9N1sxe1hno1_1280.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o63ryzYm9N1sxe1hno1_1280.jpg
259 KB, 1000x1920
>>
>>
File: words.png (244 KB, 1100x1500) Image search: [Google]
words.png
244 KB, 1100x1500
Shouldn't've used a 3d image.
>>
File: 119024383577 - 01.jpg (434 KB, 645x799) Image search: [Google]
119024383577 - 01.jpg
434 KB, 645x799
Here's the remaining airdates for Person of Interest for those trying to keep track with CBS's weird scheduling:

5x09 -- May 30, 2016 (Mon) -- Sotto Voce
5x10 -- May 31, 2016 (Tue) -- The Day The World Went Away
5x11 -- Jun 07, 2016 (Tue) -- Synecdoche
5x12 -- Jun 14, 2016 (Tue) -- .exe
5x13 -- Jun 21, 2016 (Tue) -- Return 0

>>2061674
Oh well.
>>
For people who know PoI, is there a guide or something that tells you which episodes to watch and which you can skip just to follow the lesbian bits?
>>
File: deconstructed shoot dialog.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
deconstructed shoot dialog.webm
3 MB, 960x540
PoI has a very interconnected story, so if you only watch random episodes, you'd probably be very lost on what's going on. If you only want to just see the lesbian bits, it would probably be better to watch a youtube compilation of Shaw and Root's scenes together.

If you want to try anyways, someone posted this link in the last thread, but it also includes any of the episodes where Shaw or Root appear but don't meet or interact with each other: http://blue-univers.tumblr.com/post/140669482842/starter-guide-to-person-of-interest
>>
>>2061701
>includes any of the episodes where Shaw or Root appear
I meant to say "includes any of the episodes where Shaw or Root appear and play a notable part of or are the focus of the story".
>>
>>2061684
If you're watching this show just for Root and Shaw, this show isn't for you. Hell, you might even up disappointed with how things'll end this final season. This is such a great show already, their relationship is an additional perk

That said, these are pretty useful up to season four:
http://blue-univers.tumblr.com/post/143328271462/all-rootshaw-episodes?is_related_post=1
http://blue-univers.tumblr.com/post/140669482842/starter-guide-to-person-of-interest
I'm sure there's a video compilation of all their scenes together, though you'll probably miss the bigger picture.
>>
File: rootshawiron.jpg (32 KB, 596x390) Image search: [Google]
rootshawiron.jpg
32 KB, 596x390
>>2061684
>>2061706

I also cross-referenced with this guide:
odesandrants.tumblr.com/post/128131669757/person-of-interest

Root/Shaw scene compilation (spoilers obviously, and i do recommend watching the abridged series according to the ep guide):
youtube.com/watch?v=SwBxkhRFGao

Ultimate feels scene (spoilers):
>>>/wsg/1100953
>>
>>2061684
You're not doing yourself a favor by just skipping everything for the lesbian parts. I know this is /u/ but this show is actually pretty good so just start watching it like a normal person

Though the school reunion one can be skipped
>>
>>2061977
Can't remember what happened in that ep? All I recall is Shaw impersonating some ugly betty and being uncomfortable.
>>
>>2061977
What's up with you and that episode? It was a fun episode. Lots of fun moments and important plot points. You also get the start of a dual-wielding Root due to, what I'd like to think, is because of Shaw's comment off handed comment.
>>
>>2062006
I'm not the same anon and I don't really care because Shaw is always like that.

It's just not a good episode
>>
Anyone been watching Heartless? It's a Danish drama about a pair of twins that have a strange power. Anyway it seems like the sister is gonna have some sort of romance with the daughter of the school's headmaster. I'm only a couple episodes in, but so far the show is alright. The main characters aren't all that likable, but it's an interesting show.
>>
File: Busj9tuIQAASKyJ.jpg (53 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Busj9tuIQAASKyJ.jpg
53 KB, 600x600
>>2062012
I watched it. It was kind of far fetched but the romance is alright. The brother is beyind annoying though.
The scenes between the two girls tho... that headmasters daughter is fine as fuck.
Love me a woman with a strong jaw.
>>
>>2062012
>>2062020

If anyone wants to watch them:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e546h_lesbian-storyline-sofie-and-emilie-3_tv

There are a couple of videos on dailymotion that seem to cover their romance, entirely subbed in english. That one begins their romance more or less.
It is worth noting that even though the brother has het romances the lesbian one seems to be the main romance for the show.
>>
That sex scene was terrible, like everything associated with Root.
>>
I don't watch Wynonna Earp, but I made some webms of the recent lez scenes for those of /u/ who might be curious about it.
>>
>>2062190
>>
>>2061977
Seriously, this is too good of a show to selectively watch. The first season is a slow build but it gets much deeper every season. It is the most fun I've had with a show in a long time.

>>2062190
>>2062191
They are the only reason I'm still watching though its unfortunately hard to watch when they're not on screen since I don't like Wynonna much and most other characters are flat. Also Nicole best kisser.
>>
>>2062191
>>2062190
Cute.
>>
>>2062190
>>2062191
Now I'm interested in this show, what am I in for?
>>
>>2061949
>that webm

What a surprise
>>
>>2062310
so am I, but i'm impatient so i'm going to start watching it tonight. needed something to watch while ironing for the week.
>>
>>2062190
>>2062191

Is that Sansa?
>>
Now that's a reunion. The gang's finally back together. I'm so happy.
>>
>>2062338
No.
IMO the biggest disappointment of the 2000's X-men trilogy was that the bisexual Canadian Rogue and the lesbian Canadian Kitty Pride didn't make out. It would've saved X3.
>>
>>2062349

It sure fucking looks like Sansa
>>
>>2062351
imdb gives no mention of Sophie Turner being on this show. I will agree in this webm at least the girl could be her twin.
It may be this chick if I had to guess?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1705735/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t29
>>
File: Shoot True Reunion.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shoot True Reunion.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
POI spoilers:
Nice to finally (and actually) she them reunited. It's interesting to see how contrasts to the simulated reunion in 6,741:
-Shaw barely shows any emotion
-Root is much more emotional
-Root doesn't passively stand by and let Shaw try to commit suicide

>>2062338
>>2062351
>>2062362
Her name is Katherine Barrell
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4408847/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5
>>
>>2062190
No Sansa what the fuck are you doing? You're supposed to be the Phoenix!
>>
>>2061949
>>2061706
Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for.
>>
>>2062367
i wish root and shaw had more screen time for the reunion but i'm satisfied. hope they address shaw's big fat issues in the coming eps.

>>2062190
>>2062191
ty for making these sis.
>>
File: 49066634_p0.jpg (249 KB, 1052x1074) Image search: [Google]
49066634_p0.jpg
249 KB, 1052x1074
Regarding the next episode of PoI, the previews seem to be implying that one of the characters may die.

If so, I would say out of the cast:
-Elias is the most disposable, plot wise
-Fusco would be the most predictable
-Root would be the most shocking

Based on the press release for the second-to-last episode, I know that Finch, Reese, and Shaw definitely won't die in tomorrow's episode.
>>
>>2062479
I think it's most likely Elias that's dying in the next episode.. The funny thing about Fusco is that they've already killed him once, behind the scenes.

After watching this episode, for the season finale, it'll be nice to see Root and Shaw dying together rather than separately, if that does happen. They were so extra this episode.

I'm a bit sad that tomorrow's the last of the biweekly episode airings...
>>
>>2062328
>What a surprise
It wasn't real, tho.
>>
>>2062484
I'll be so disappointed if they kill of Root right after she's been reunited with Shaw. I don't think I'd be able to deal with that at all.
>>
I ship Judy Woodruff and Gwen Ifill.
>>
>>2062029
Shut up Samaritan, you're just jealous that your "Analog Interface" is shit (and if you thought the sex scene was so terrible, you should have made a better simulation).
>>
Heads up, PoI 5x10 is out and I have to say mmmmooooooottttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeerrrrr fffffffffffuuuuuuccccckkkeeeeerrrrr!

I'll be interesting to see what the potential meltdown on social media will be over this episode.
>>
>>2063016
Hm. I'm on the boat that's not too worried, yet. There were BTS images of Finch and Root together on the roof for the season finale. Plus, it doesn't conflict with current my theory thus far. I'm good till they prove it wrong for the next three episodes. What a cruel, cruel cliffhanger though.

Really not looking forward to the social media reaction. They tend to overreact a lot. Gotta have hope, yo.
>>
>>2063022
Forgot to add, Amy's livetweeting tonight so we'll see what happens, if there is any verdict.
>>
lmao
>>
The social media reaction was as expected. Hopefully that'll thin out the people only watching it for their ships. I mean, there's been a goddamn huge warning sign with big bright lights attached to that ship since day one.

I for one don't think she's dead. This show's GREAT with character sendoffs and this was a shitty one for a major character like Root. Also, it's just poor writing if they go that route, which is something I don't associate with the POI writers. Still too early to tell, in all honesty. This isn't my delusion speaking, but that episode was just handled very very poorly. I mean, c'mon, right after she's finally reunited with Shaw??? Real shitty and a dick move.
>>
>>2063022
Finch and root on the roof may just be metaphorical as she becomes the machine watching over them, or her and Finch are both dead in a Machine "afterlife". this honestly felt pretty definitive given most of Root's dialogue. fucking blows if it's true, but i'll be less salty about it if we lose most of the rest of the cast too. fusco can live, maybe shaw.

>>2063090
i think they properly set up her exit with all the existential lines and the idea of everyone existing in the machine forever. it sucks. maybe shaw and root get to be happy in machine afterlife. getting some city of light bullshit flashbacks.
>>
I'm really pretty tired of shows killing lesbians. Like fuck, I remember when Buffy did it.
>>
>>2063097
I've been thinking about that too. My head keeps going back to the very fist teaser we had for season 5 with that Root voiceover in the subway. Now that just might be TM using Root's voice. I just don't like how things were handled this episode.

Soo, apparently the POI official twitter posted this: https://twitter.com/POIWritersRoom/status/737834447605665792 Please let it be what I think it is.
>>
>>2063102
how i feel about this episode will probably change given how the rest of the season plays out. it's going to be a tough three weeks. if we lose more characters, i'll feel more comfortable with losing root. if we only lose root, I'll be pissed. but i think it makes sense that she really became a part of the machine. it sucks that lesbians die all the time but PoI is one show that could go complete Bad End for everyone. they are doing what they can with the compressed season. we got a whole episode that was Shaw-centric and focused on how much shaw cares for root. i'm sad, but, this episode was too good for me to hate. the performances from everyone, esp acker and emerson were amazing.

with any character monologuing that hard tho, it's a big fucking death flag.

the schrodinger's cat thing is weird because they actually showed us Root on a slab. and the fake body theory don't make no sense imo. but I could see this going in a weird, omipotent-AI, universe-fuckery direction, rather than, "HAHA ROOT WAS NEVER REALLY DEAD!!!"

Amy Acker is listed on the 2nd to last episode as Root in iMDB credits, but that's never a reliable source. she is likely playing the machine voice.
>>
File: Cj1XMwGWgAABmU5.jpg-large.jpg (103 KB, 642x468) Image search: [Google]
Cj1XMwGWgAABmU5.jpg-large.jpg
103 KB, 642x468
Well shit. The interviews out.
>>
>>2063110
Well fuck that then. Though I guess they're not wrong in any of their assertions.
>>
>>2063113
They did her so dirty though. A reunion after one+ year, first to die in the team, and all before the Samaritan arc ended. I just...Now I just want the entire team dead after the season ends. Especially Shaw. Just kill Shaw so they can be together in the afterlife. After the "I can't live without you", I just want them to be together.
>>
>>2063115
what I don't understand is why Shaw wasn't the one to go to the hospital. i hope there is a reason for this set up in next weeks episode, otherwise we missed out on some great sad lesbian suffering.

as shitty as it is, we're lucky to get what we did given how CBS screwed the show. at least it isn't the fucking 100.
>>
Some a bunch of post episode interviews are out and unless they're really screwing with us, Root is definitely dead. Amy Acker mentioned that she ended up staying on the show for the last episodes to be on set and say the Machine's lines to the other characters while she was just off screen.
>>
>>2063116
Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't believe she died...alone...one episode after she got Shaw back. No matter how people put it, she died to steer the development of Harold. I can't believe this of all shows did this.

I'm probably just really bitter today, maybe things'll change in a day or two or weeks, but not now. Now I'm thinking about Shaw talking with The Machine in this BTS pic for the future episode (https://67.media.tumblr.com/cb3a66e2cef236f2aef0aaba48b8fb30/tumblr_nz7g0ea6LN1s4oyapo1_540.jpg) and I'm sad all over again

And this quote from the interview: It’s indistinguishable between Machine and Root. So what I love in particular that comes up is that the Machine kind of maintains the same relationship with the characters as she’s talking to them that Root would. So she takes on the same affinity for Shaw and talks to Reese the same way and everything. It just really seems like the Machine is kind of honoring Root, because she chose her and has made her – it’s like Root is there. Her body’s not there, but she has all the same interactions with the characters I'M SO SAD AND BITTER, but I'll probably continue watching, can't stop now.
>>
>>2063122
it definitely helped steer harold, but, she also needed to assimilate with the machine. I believe when they say Root was always going to die, and i'm guessing most of the remaining members of TM will as well. harold almost for sure, reese or shaw have to survive to take care of bear. i know this doesn't really help, and i'm sorry youre hurting sis. i'm sad too, and i hope that the show will end in a place where i don't end up bitter as well. just emotionally wounded.

given the alternative was the show outright getting cancelled or shahi not making it back in time to film, i'm still in the "thank fucking god" we got as much as we did mindset. i remember waiting for info on whether or not the show was even coming back.
>>
>>2063131
Yeah, I guess I just didn't enjoy the way they handled her death. Any other way would've been infinitely times better than how they wrote it this episode. I just. The POI writers actually failed me...

But it'll be interesting to see how the next three episodes play out. I've read that the scene between Finch and Root at the rooftop is an emotional doozy

Also, this is like the second time Amy Acker's played a character ascending to a higher power. Which is, interesting haha.
>>
Speaking of Sansa, I find it interesting that she wants a lesbian love scene with Margaery - and hilarious that she wants a lesbian incest scene with Arya. Like calm the fuck down.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20/game-thrones-sophie-turner-sansa-lesbian
>>
>>2063110
meh
But only because it feels like cheap af after how they pandered online and how 'weird' it feels after all the buildup regarding Shaw and Root.
I feels like if its a fakeout but that actually would in a way bother me more...its weird.
Whatever, i'm getting out of western stuff for a while.
I was getting more and more feed up since the last couple of years.
>>
>>2063110
So all we got outside of the simulation was Shoot briefly holding hands before Root gets shot and bleeds out off camera all alone. Meanwhile when any other character was in even the slightest danger everyone would drop everything to protect them. It was like they realized how shitty it would be to kill her like this so they didn't spend any time on her death to lessen the impact.

>>2063116
Just like how in the last episode Reese didn't go into the building that blew up. The rushed schedule is making for some lazy writing. I won't be satisfied unless everyone else dies. Shaw better join her in death for an eternity of simulated sex or all that "I'd rather die without you/I'd rather kill myself than hurt you" shit was for nothing".
>>
>>2063139
Well theres a lot of rumours about Sophie and her sexuality.
Too bad that nothing its going to happen in the show thou.
>>
>>2063139
based sophie turner.

>>2063138
i'm mad the samaritan op that's been shoehorned into an actual character this season is the one that offed her. i hope he was developed so we can see shaw hurt him.

otherwise i don't have much beef with how she went. maybe minor tweaks like a bit more screen time, but the "Root?" "No, Harold." was a crushing, but important delivery. hurt so much. of course i wish we got more root and shaw overall this season but i can only be mad at the circumstance. and maybe the infection episode.
>>
>mfw we live in a world were Once Upon a Time was the only show to deliever a happy and qt af lesbian couple...fucking Once Upon a Time...
>>
>>2063154
didn't the lesbians survive in Hannibal?
>>
>>2063144
Yeah honestly i felt like they actually pandered a lot this season. You had constant shoot mentions, they added the sex scene in the simulation which was in no way necessary, made everything extra shipp-y, and talked about it online so much it was odd to me.
>>
>>2063155
Oh yeah...but that was mostly because the show was cancelled, i mean Alanna pretty much became Chilton so she was lucky that they never reached the SoTL arc...but then again Will running away with Hannibal would probably, maybe, could have changed her fate.
>>
>>2063144
>>2063158

but would you have been happier if they just dropped the shoot altogether? i'll take the pandering this time around.
>>
>>2063154
Now we wait and see if Wynonna Earp will kill off the lesbians now that they finally figured their shit out and got together.

>>2063155
I didn't watch it but wasn't the show canceled before it finished?

>>2063158
I love how every time they hype it up only to defend their choice the same way saying how important it is to the story. Lesbians are apparently a prime source of story advancement. Too bad they can't be a prime source of happy endings
>>
>>2063165
Ehhh, Canada doesn't really does the 'dead lesbians' stuff as much as 'Murrica, Orphan Black aside.
And they actually seem invested into getting gayness on their stuff.
I still remember how surprising it was that when the couple of Rookie Blue got sunked because one of the actresses got a new gig they didn't waste any time to ring Katharine Isabelle to play a hot lesbian cop for their gay character.
kek...Katharine Isabelle needs to become the goto actress to play gay chars...
>>
>Want to watch a romantic movie
>You've seen all the good ones already
Man, fuck.
>>
>>2063155
>didn't the lesbians survive in Hannibal?
Hannibal had lesbians?
>>
100 seems to be a really unlucky number for lesbians.
>>
>>2063193
We finally got more lesbian movies but we still can't get new ones that I want to re-watch more than D.E.B.S. Looking through IMDB's lesbian tag and I don't even see any new worthwhile content through 2017. Why is life so hard?
>>
>>2063233
Yeah Margot and Alana...heck the two main couples by the end of the show were GAY AS FUCK
>>
>>2063264
Dont give them hope, while Margot has always been gay, the whole alana Margot thing is such a small thing of barely any screentime.
>>
>>2063236
>another lesbian dead
While I would like to add it's been a huge fucking disappointment, I really can't because I've been expecting this since they've started hyping it up.
The only good thing to come out of it is the shitstorm it's going to start. Anyone got any juicy links where I can read and laugh at the outrage?

"Very happy" my ass. As soon as she said "we're just information" I knew where this was going.
>>
And this is why I switched to anime. I miss all the fanfiction though.
>>
>>2063270
Why limit yourself? Just avoid the bad. Pretty easy to spot.

Not much fanfic in the first place, you know. And if, it's mostly shit. Not that that's anything new.
>>
I'm still hoping for a bait and switch, but let's get fucking real for a second.
The writers tweeted a link to Schrodinger's Cat on wikipedia, but what it probably means is that she's dead in real life and alive in the machine at the same time, which would be some contrived bullshit that came out of left field as a form of damage control because the script has probably been completed long before 100 killed their gays.
Amy Acker kinda projects the air of knowing about the complete and utter betrayal the show will turn out to be in her interview tho, topkek. I never dreamed that there would be a day that I'd say "it was all a dream" would be a step-up.
>>
>>2063266
Not to mention of the spoilers I read on Wiki that Margot had to seduce the main guy for the pregnancy subplot that they couldn't tackle it differently than him being just the donor like in the books.
>>
>>2063273
The episodes were finished long before The 100 did the thing.
>>
>>2063276
Yes, actually both Alana and Margot had sex with the main dudes. to make the sting worse, that fetus gets murdered so it was for naught and she has to pump the sperm from her fucked up brother anyway the books are a bit more complicated because in those Margot is a testorone driven body builder who cant have children because all the testorone. Its best to treat carefully with comparisons.
>>
>>2063272
Literally everything I would have watched if I were still watching western shit has either killed its lesbians or had them fuck guys.

And there's considerably more PoI fanfiction alone than in most recent yuri fandoms put together.
>>
>>2063280
All that happened before they met each other, though. Once they become a couple, they're just the cutest little schemers.
>>
File: 1410550567408.gif (524 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
1410550567408.gif
524 KB, 500x620
>>2063022
>Gotta have hope, yo
>>
>>2063300
>Once they become a couple, they're just the cutest little schemers.
How much of screentime they actually get?
I suppose it's not kind of series worthy of watching just for their scenes alone?
>>
>>2063316
>I suppose it's not kind of series worthy of watching just for their scenes alone?
Not really, no. The series is about the relationship between Will and Hannibal, with everyone else playing second fiddle. It's really good, though.
>>
Do you think killing all lesbians on TV is some kind of social experiment the show makers collectively agreed to do at some point?
It's beyond the point of being a series of coincidents.
>>
>>2063424
They want to see who gets the most death threats.
Or they just want the xyzwt+ crowd to off themselves.
>>
File: 14346489053.png (230 KB, 549x308) Image search: [Google]
14346489053.png
230 KB, 549x308
I was pissed when I found out there was a lesbian kiss in Vikings that they cut out in the American version
>>
>>2063424
Queer characters are expendable because they're rarely MCs and every writer think they're the first person to write a tragic lesbian love story (because women love tragic romances and lesbians are women, so doesn't that mean they'll love it even more?) because they're generally unfamiliar with lesbian canon. I don't know what the excuse is for writers who profess to love lesbian characters and their fans and to have researched them. They're just dickheads.
>>
Anyone still watching Orphan Black? Seems like Delphine isn't dead after all. Now I just hope they don't kill Cosima instead.

>>2063447
Goddamn I want Lagertha to switch to women so bad.
>>
>>2063457
>what the excuse is for writers who profess to love lesbian characters and their fans and to have researched them
Probably a case of thinking their writing skills are so good that they'll make you love dead lesbians anyway.
>>
>>2063474
Sounds about right.
>>
>tfw I thought there were two episodes today
>tfw there weren't

>>2063474
There's no 'probably' about it, they said as much in interviews. But it's less about a lesbian being dead, and more about a main character killed off for stupid reasons.
What I don't like is it being twisted into some hateboner for gay characters.
>>
>another dead one

Top fucking kek. Running out of options now, aren't we?
>>
>>2063491
Can we ship cooking show personalities?
But they'll probably die from hot oil burns when we start though.
>>
>>2063500
Ships don't kill, canonicity does.

So as long as they don't take the shipping as encouragement and come out, they should be fine.
>>
I just realized something. On Unix, root user has uid = 0. "Return 0". Huh.
>>
>>2063164
I, for one, would've prefered the show without Shaw's and Root's relationship. I don't think I'm gonna watch the rest of the episodes now even though Finch finally shows his badass side.

It's funny because I've never been so invested in a TV show before and now I'll definitely steer clear of them (especially if they have lesbians in them). Person of Interest is a great show but I'm just emotionally scarred at the moment. I'm going to go and cry a river now, excuse me.

>>2063483
Agreed.
>>
>>2063424
historical trend of murdering lesbians intersecting with an increase in more lesbians on tv in general.

>>2063457
Nolan wants to hurt the entire fanbase, not just the lesbians as far as I've read.
they know they're being dicks. poi was always a bad horse to bet on.

>>2063462
Is she really? I'm an episode behind but as soon as they started going on about HOW SHE WAS SERIOUSLY REALLY DEAD I was like no this bitch is coming back.

>>2063483
It sucks poi is going to catch flack for this but it's the only way shit is going to change. blame jroth and the 100 for fucking up so badly this year

>>2063193
What are some essential Western /u/ movies?
>>
>>2063544
>What are some essential Western /u/ movies?
Someone didn't check the sticky.
>>
>>2063447
Wait, I have only watched the first season of Vikings. Is this a one off thing or is something serious?
>>
>>2063550
I want to know what this thread likes and the sticky is 3 years old
>>
>>2063570
Not much changed.
I liked IM&Y, Debs, Fucking Amal, But I'm a Cheerleader, Anatomy of a Love Seen.
>>
>>2063110
>becoming The Machine
I'm really hoping that either the whole team gets uploaded and reunited or if the rest of them survive we get Machine!Root constantly flirting with Shaw through an earpiece.
>>
>>2063574
Nah, fuck that transhumanist crap. Root better be faking it.
>>
>>2063576
>fuck that transhumanist crap
>in a postcyberpunk show
I'm not sure what your expectations are here.
>>
>>2063568
It was just one scene where the horny princess kisses lagertha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o2XOYnGvCE
>>
>>2063483
Seriously. The more I think about it, the more I think this was a dumbass writing choice. It might be due to the truncated season, but it's still terrible writing. John should've been the one to bit the dust first. Finch and John's relationship would've carried more weight and emotional impact due to how long they've known each other and he was like Nathan to Harold in terms of importance. Not saying her's didn't carry weight, John's would've had more. I just.

I'm so upset over the fact that I couldn't even enjoy how great Root and Shaw were due to what happened. Couldn't the deaths be in the last two episodes?? After their reunion last episode, I just wanted them to have one episode, this one episode, for them to just be. I wanted more time for them before shit hits the fan. I can't believe they had her die alone. That was the fucking worst. After her saying that she's been "alone for 12 years", they have her die alone??? The transcendence thing just felt messy to me. It was a great idea, something they've been hinting at, but it was just not well executed, imo.

>>2063543
Yeah, I stuck with this show since Shaw's introduction episode. I fucking love Shaw. I can't believe they did me so dirty. But now, one part of me really wants Shaw to die so she can reunite with Root in the afterlife. The other part wants her to survive if the last emotional arc is about Finch and John's relationship, the two white male leads, if that's the reason why John lived. Shaw needs to live. I think I'm gonna just stick with watching show's in interested in through .gifs.

I'm forever grateful with how they wrote the relationship of Root and Shaw and Root and Shaw as individual characters, but man, was that a shitty death for a great character. I'm not upset about her death, I expected her to die at some point really, but not this early in the finale. arc and not with this shitty writing.
>>
I just really, really hope this is some plan to fake Samaritan into marking them as "dead", and that's why they did the whole Schroedinger's Cat thing.

never mind that the whole point of Schroedinger's Cat was that it was meant to show that the Copenhagen Interpretation was absurd rather than make any actual physical statement on reality but then TV writers probably don't study quantum physics
>>
>>2063582
I studied quantum physics and I've still never really gotten the point of it. Thanks.
>>
>>2063577
I only want humans to stay human.
And alive. Fuck me for hoping this might be the one show that gives us all. I should've known better than to harbor any hope.
>>
They fucked up the transhumanism angle, they spend the season 4 and 5 making Root very human. In fact she shouts it in the Radio episode, her relationship with Shaw and also reaction to her friends fates show that she does not believe in any of this information shit because Shaws existence or shape would not cease through her death, the machine could have probably copied shaws information the way she is now doing roots. Root talking about fairy tale endings, root feeling lonely, all this shit does not fit what we saw this episode. Furthermore selling people on the concept that humans are just info and that the machine assuming roots voice and behaviourism as concept are just way to complicated to spring on us in three episodes. The machine becoming a root copy basically furthermore undermines the character the machine developed before this, as it was a "person" before this. The machine using roots data sucks. Root didnt transcend shit. But at least Harold got his stick out of his ass, hope it was worth getting fridged root. Your death was also super lame considering the crazy shit she survived
>>
>>2063604
Good to see more people think there was something off lately, but it's probably just budget and meeting deadlines.
I've seen people say that Root coming back to become the machine was what she wanted since the beginning, but that's ignoring everything she learned about humans not being "bad code" after all.
It's as if the last two seasons were shoved away.
I'm almost expecting it to go "okay, we've mourned for 30 seconds, we've got a new number, let's get cracking" next week.
>>
>>2063424
Lesbians are allowed to die as much as straight characters.
I don't get this "they're just being dicks to us" mentality. They killed Elias off, one of the best side-characters in the show, are they being dicks to balding men or people in glasses?

Now, if you said "Do you think killing main characters off in a stupid way for a not very well thought out reason is some kind of social experiment the show makers collectively agreed to do at some point?" I would've agreed with you.

>inb4 other shows do it because they hate lesbians so this show is doing because it hates lesbians
That's not how it works, every show is unique. It's not some one filming company set out to trigger every /u/-fag ever.
>>
>>2063630
I feel bad for based Elias. No one remembers him in this shitstorm. Just last episode he was acting like a boss.
>>
>>2063620
I wasnt even mad until people started to pretend roots death was great and meaningful when IMO it was rushed and awkward. I love POI but this attitude of defensivness is annoying. It wasnt good. It was hollow, i mean compare it to Carter whose send off was all about her plot and her fight against HR, while Root gets a stray bullet so Harold can progress, i mean i was sure they pulled a fast one on me until the corpse. Fuck even then it felt fake. A terrible death for a major character really. And this transhumanism stuff is tacky and with way too little built up ignoring Roots complete character arc. I am Incredibly disapppointed in the writing of this, i knew root was probably gonna bite it but this was terrible
>>
>>2063632
Yeah, I didn't really like they killed two major characters in the same episode. Kinda undermines the impact.
And besides that one shot with Finch getting dragged away from his body and John arriving at the scene, they didn't really linger too much on the fact that he's dead now.
On the other hand, Root got it even worse. Dying off-screen is a low blow for a main character, especially after getting shot by a some bearded extra they only hired in this season.

Interestingly, their deaths are somewhat similar, with Finch being forced to leave them both behind.
>>
>>2063633
Writers thinking they're hot shit doesn't help either, but what else are they going to do.
>>2063637
Root's feels too neat to me still.
And what's with that Temporary Resolutions thing?
I'm such a fag I'd forgive everything if Root turns out to be alive in the finale.
>>
>>2063641
Somebody on /tv/ assumed that she might've died as "Root" only to come back as "Samantha Groves". I'm not sure if any of the interviews refer to her as "Ms. Groves", though. If they do, it doesn't hold.
>>
>>2063642
That was me
>>
File: ain't that a kick to the head.webm (957 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ain't that a kick to the head.webm
957 KB, 1280x720
After reading the post episode articles about how the show runners always planned for this to be Root's character arc and how they ended up writing in a Shaw x Root's relationship because of the chemistry between the two actresses, I feel like the latter ended up conflicting with former with Root's character development.

In this episode, Root keep talking about how even if they die, now that there's an artificial god (the Machine) that has observed them, that knows them better than they know themselves, and will remember their "shapes"; that they'll all live on (as transhuman A.I. constructs) as long as the Machine does. Those ideas fit with Root's character back when she first found out about the Machine and first became the Analog Interface, but doesn't really fit with her actions and feelings towards finding/rescuing Shaw since If-Then-Else.

Since Shaw's been gone, Root has repeatedly prioritized finding Shaw over the Machine's wishes, showing that she valued saving the real Shaw over the risk of the destruction her God and the "Shaw" that the Machine could potentially create and "live" on as long as the Machine existed.
>>
>>2063643
I knew it! It was Anonymous all along!
>>
>>2063645
meant to post this webm
>>
>>2063645
>Shaw wearing heels
>in combat
Irks me every time.
>>
>>2063645
She was so proud of Shaw!
>>2063646
>513
>Root steps back from the laptop in the faraday's cage: Samaritan: Bazillion - Machine: 1
>Se sets out to sacrifice herself, because that's the only scenario in which the Machine can win
>Samaritan's video drivers malfunction triggering a kernel panic. Root gets rescued by Shaw. Greer trips on a bunny slipper Bear left when doing undercover mission in Samartian HQ and breaks his neck.
AMD Catalyst. Not even once.
>>2063651
Why didn't they fucking shoot the button?
>>
>>2063645
Its not just her relationship with Shaw, but everyone else really. She was incredibly worried about Reese just earlier. Especially the stunt with Shaw only last episode makes zero sense, she risked the whole mission and machine just to play chicken with a gun, and explicitly told Shaw she couldnt live without her. Even in this episode her dialouge doesnt add up. "I finally found a place where i belong" or something and the 'i wont leave you again' makes absolute no sense in context of the transhumanism they tried to pull. I mean we could argue that root herself didnt believe all this and just wanted to make an ass joke
>>
File: e9cGle_7li4.jpg (445 KB, 1800x1234) Image search: [Google]
e9cGle_7li4.jpg
445 KB, 1800x1234
As for comparing "Root in the Machine" to "Lexa in the Flame", the Flame is only accessible to whoever has the chip in their head, but the Machine makes Root accessible by any network in the world. Root is closer to (a more grounded) Madokami than the Commanders in the City of Light.
>>
>>2063669
>Root
>Madokami
Do we even know if the Machine is going to be emulating Root's behavior completely? So far she only used her voice.

It bugs me how it basically undermines the fact that the Machine has a personality of her own.
>>
>>2063633
>Root gets a stray bullet so Harold can progress

Don't ignore the fact that her death also allowed the machine to progress, and we'll probably see how the rest of the team changes in the next episode.

>>2063659
>Why didn't they fucking shoot the button?

Cuz shaw was preggers and they had to write her off for a season.

It's sad and awful that root died alone, that's part of why I'm ok with it. I'm fine with the direction the show is moving. the end is supposed to be bleak. I'm in the minority here but despite some weird writing to probably get the shoot in her death felt like proper closure to her arc.
>>
>>2063670
>Do we even know if the Machine is going to be emulating Root's behavior completely? So far she only used her voice.
The post episode interviews have said that the Machine will interact with different members of the Team the same way (or very similarly) to the way Root would.

Based on the conversion between Root and Harold in the car, Root seems to be implying that the Machine has the ability and will eventually create "post-analog" versions of them after they die and of the ones that are already dead.
>>
>>2063669
This is assuming the machine could just perfectly replicate a person. While her simulatioms are accurate considering its failure rate and underestimating for example Roots desire to save Shaw and that the machine and root were not on the same Page a lot i find this "they are interchangeable now" quite meh. Last episode root also talked about a faint believe of an after life, therefore believing in a soul that could pass on, which directly smashes the whole transhumanism shape nonsense. root is not alive in the machine, i dont pretend a really good impersonator is the actual president either. This is a similar thing as writers "immortalizing" themselves via their writing, their ideas and personality us indeed and "lives on" doesnt make goethe less dead
>>
>>2063671
>It's sad and awful that root died alone, that's part of why I'm ok with it.
She died alone and off-screen, we weren't even given the closure of seeing her die.
I would've been okay with seeing paramedics trying to revive her but failing, but just straight up cutting to her corpse in the morgue? Nah.

>>2063674
>The post episode interviews have said that the Machine will interact with different members of the Team the same way (or very similarly) to the way Root would.
Welp. Prepare for the awkward A.I.-human flirting.
Joking aside, that's idiotic. Root and the Machine clearly had different personalities, why replace one with another?

I really shouldn't be so hasty with posting.
>>
>>2063683
The point of not being hasty with posting is to avoid deleting posts.
>>
>>2063676
If we saw her die on screen then we wouldn't have gotten the machine giving the reveal of her death, which was honestly pretty powerful.

Machine could be adapting its communication style to appeal to its listener, which is an entirely human thing to do.
>>
>>2063685
There's difference between adapting your communication style and changing it completely. The Machine isn't going to adapt -her- personality to appeal to listeners, she's going to adapt -Root's- personality while basically discarding her own.
So it's not going to be the Machine talking to the team, but sort-of-but-not-quite Root talking to the team. Which makes the whole arc about the Machine having its own personality, which sometimes clashed with others, kinda pointless in the end.
>>
>>2063661
Just last week she was all "I must send a message to Shaw in a risky and daring attempt".
Last season she was "Bring me to Shaw or I'll jump off this building".
And now she's dead because we're apparently shapes and it doesn't fucking matter or somesuch horseshit.
>>
>>2063686
Or you can view it as the Machine using an AI construct of Root to speak for it (Machine-ception).

>>2063675
Root might not think it'll be a perfect replication, but that it's much better than the what happened before the Machine was created (ceasing to exist).
>>
>>2063633
>Root gets a stray bullet so Harold can progress.
Are you people stupid? Do you even watch the show? How are you confusing stray bullet to diving head first into assassin's bullet?
>>
>>2063690
Root must believe it to be kinda garbage though because she'd rather kill herself than dealing with machine!shaw
>>
>>2063692
>Are you people stupid?
>Only 1 out 40 posters on this thread said it was a stray bullet
>>
>>2063692
I was under the impression the bullet was meant for harold aka target but i was admittedly kinda sleepy watching the episode because i had to stop till 4 am to catch it. Why is gooddude mcguffin good enough to hit someone in a moving target anyway. He must have practiced day and night after getting out of prison
>>
>>2063696
>>2063695
You're on fire tonight.
>>
>>2063698
That wasn't me this time.
Rude.
>>
File: Shoot - MAXIMUM LEWDNESS!.webm (804 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shoot - MAXIMUM LEWDNESS!.webm
804 KB, 1280x720
>/u/ can't show this type of obscene content on TV!
>>
>>2063696
I was referring to the people who keeps calling it a stray bullet.

>>2063697
Root saw on the assassin and swerved the car on purpose, with full intention, to take that bullet for Finch. Now I know people are salty and are hell bent on comparing POI to t100, but stop spreading these misconceptions.
>>
>>2063708
>Instead of swerving the car to the left where there was plenty of space she swerved it to the right where she would risk getting hit
One job, Root.
>>
>>2063707
that hurt
>>
>>2063694
Right? I'm waiting until the next episode to judge this but I can't see how they'll write this convincingly. The Samaritan genocide plot was shocking and well thought out so why isn't Root ex machina similarly intriguing? We haven't seen any evidence that the Machine could replicate all the intimate thoughts of a person, even Samaritan needed Shaw to get a full simulation going and even that wasn't successful.

>>2063697
Samaritan told the sniper to hit the passenger as primary and driver after. It doesn't make sense that he would have missed the passenger and then not taken another shot since he missed his primary objective. Plus he didn't even flinch when Root ricochets a bullet next to his perch. But we're in plot-first writing territory now so what can you do?

>>2063707
I was waiting for someone to post that. They even interlock. How obscene.
>>
>>2063708
To the People? In this thread thats literally just me, sleepy europe anon. I own up to having misunderstood that scene because i wasnt paying enough attention. The point i am making still stands in my opinion
>>
File: Root checking out DAT SHAPE.webm (996 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Root checking out DAT SHAPE.webm
996 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: 1464081583750.webm (393 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464081583750.webm
393 KB, 1280x720
>>2063707
Sure beats the 2x09 scene
>>
File: The Symphony of Shoot.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The Symphony of Shoot.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>2063708
If that's what she did, they did not show it at all. Not only did she shoot at the guy so that he missed where he was originaly aiming, she also could have gone to the left and noone would have been shot. Might aswell have killed her from a falling tree while they were both running away from it in the way it was falling before she pushed Finch out of the way.
>>
File: pll.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
pll.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>
>>2063944
What am I looking at?
>>
>>2063947
pretty little liars
>>
>>2063944
soo how does this couple ends?
>>
>>2063957
Oh, then the webm is where my interest begins and ends.
>>2063958
From what I've heard about the show, probably not well.
>>
>>2063110
I dont understand why production cant just shut the fuck up about certain topics.

You killed another lesbian (or the only black guy, or the only jewish guy, whatever) and you have your reasons. Fine, okay. Don't come out and start lecturing and trying to get people to see things your way.

Jeez.

Or maybe Marketing just told them that any publicity is good publicity.
>>
>>2063944
holy shit what has happened on this show. i saw like, two seasons and it was a wild, ridiculous ride.

>>2063958
>>2063960
high likelihood of not ending well. show is perpetually off the rails, they have at least one dead lesbian. the whole starting premise of the show was the blonde chick being dead.
>>
>>2063963
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

People will get pissed at them if they don't comment on it and people will get piss at them if they do comment it.
>>
>>2064062
>didn't lie
About what?
>>
>>2064064
Never mind. Forget about it.
>>
>>2064069
Too late, I already read it.
>>
File: Shoot Bangs - 2 (NA).webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shoot Bangs - 2 (NA).webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Just to settle the issue about Amy Acker's tailbone:

>TVLINE | Now, did Sarah Shahi really “break” your tailbone during that Episode 4 sex scene, as you said in a New York Comic-Con video, or were you exaggerating for comedic effect?

>Acker | I mean, there was a bruise. I’m not sure it was “broken,” but yes, damage was done. [Chuckles]
>>
>>2063967
Why would they need to comment on it? To explain? That means their delivery failed.
>>
>>2064106
Those actresses looked terrible, no real passion
>>
File: 1463252864742.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463252864742.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
Who Liv/Peyton from Izombie here? That episode where Liv gives Peyton a lapdance after she eats a stripper brain...
>>
>>2063707
Holding hands = 3rd base for purelove

"going all the way" = neck kisses
>>
>>2064108
There are some people who blindly react to lesbians getting killed off because "muh ded gays". I suppose they tried to calm those people down.
>>
>>2064155
The issue was that the Interview was incredibly defensiv, the question was already phrased in a way that it annpyed me more than the defense itself. The interviewer asked for no reason about the trope because he clearly decided before the interview that Poi wasnt guilty of it. I am all for deas tragic gays so i dont mind too much but her death was really really bad so i am disappponted not because a gay character died but a very good character died a terribly executed death. But apparently i am in the minority about that and unreasonable, considering i have seen even gays defend thos death "as makimg sense"
>>
>>2064201
Well, Root dying makes sense. She was always too obsessed with the Machine and Harold, and had raised all possible death flags.
However, her death was poorly executed. It's shoved into the same episode as Elias's death, doesn't give any closure (shot by an extra, no visible wounds except for those she got earlier, no final moments) and the whole part about the Machine adapting her behavior clashes with Root's character arc, as she now no longer sees the Machine as a superior being and humans as inferior ones, so transhumanism ideas don't really fit.

Not to mention that her death was avoidable, and she didn't even go out fighting like Elias did.
>>
File: AUTOSTRADDLE-tv-death-6.png (457 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
AUTOSTRADDLE-tv-death-6.png
457 KB, 1000x2000
>>2063630
>Lesbians are allowed to die as much as straight characters.
Gee, I know right. It's almost like lesbians were killed at an approximetely the same rate as straight characters and people are complaining about nothing.
Oh right.
No.
Of course "lesbians are allowed to die". How about some of them don't though?
Come back with that again when only 16% of all straight characters on TV get happy endings. I'm pretty sure more balding old men got happy endings in media than lesbians.

>inb4 I was only talking about POI
well my post was about the current state of things in general. It also wasnt that serious
>>
>>2064201
>>2064206
Plz no more. The circle of "muh bad death" validation is boring. It's not like anyone is going to change your mind.

>>2064269
Getting kinda tumblr in here. you are amongst friends, most of us are well aware of how much being a /u/ fan is suffering. current state is also better than it was in the past when you watched shows because two girls exchanged a potentially meaningful glance and then survived on fanfiction.
>>
>>2064206
>She was always too obsessed with the Machine and Harold
Well, lately she wasn't that much, so y'know. She was getting reckless, tho.
>inb4 salty
Well, yes. Yes, I am.
>>
>>2064373
>Getting kinda tumblr in here.
I'm tired of "muh tumblr" / "muh sjws" being used to silence any kind of discussion or even acknowledgment that issues exist.
If an anon says "lesbians aren't special and die like everyone else" when I know for a fact lesbians die at a rate much greater than any other group and it's been proven with research then I'm going to respond with said research.
>>
>>2064471
Tell that to the poor mook guys who die twenty four seven in every show.
>>
>>2061668
>holding a gun next to someone's ear

Is deafness a fetish now
>>
Root has been the most interesting and fun character on PoI, hands down. I see the purpose in the overall arc for her dying and transcending into the machine, and I saw it coming halfway through the episode, but if they wanted a major character death they should have chosen John, who has for a long time just been a literal tool.

As far as Shoot goes, keep in mind that according to writers they've been canonically hooking up casually since early in Season 4. Like everyone else I wanted one or two episodes for at least some breathing room of them to be together -- I feel bad for Shaw more than anything since Root was central to her motivation to break out successfully and is one of the only humans she's ever taken emotional comfort around. It had to happen at some point, sure, but they could have also had Shoot's reunion 2 episodes sooner, before the throwaway wedding ep, for example.

>>2063632
Elias had it coming for a long time. I mean, you just can't play capo forever. (Also, the whole blatant favoritism the show and team had for him vs the Brotherhood, essential moral equivalents, never sat well with me -- seemed far too black and white, pun intended).

Related to John, Elias, and the show quality in general, for the past 2 seasons they've been trying to mesh in this NYC gang warfare plot and paint it as somehow worth the team's energy on a comparable level as saving innocent numbers or, you know, preventing the apocalypse. I know the writers wanted to go back to the show's roots, but the show's roots were honestly quite mediocre.

Whatever, binging on fanfic: go to ao3 and sort by kudos to avoid the crap.
>>
>>2063651
>>2063659

That ep was fantastic (as long as you knew Shaw would return eventually, which you pretty much did the next ep) except for the fact that the writers couldn't think of a better macguffin than a fucking ELEVATOR BUTTON.
>>
>>2064484
Isn't that the scene where they start nonchalantly firing their guns and making stupid poses? Pretty sure it's a parody.
I don't even know where it's actually from, but I've seen a webm.
>>
>>2064512
I admit they bamboozled me in his first episode. That reveal at the end was glorious as fuck. That was good POI.
>>
>>2064512
>canonically hooking up casually since early in Season 4
What? That's weird, I never felt that they actually acted on their sexual tension from any of their interactions. Isn't that kind of the whole reason it was played up as tension? I guess I don't care either way but I don't see it.
>>
>>2064522
Yeah, me neither.
>>
>>2063688

This. Also it's clearly the same writer who did the mediocre ep after the Stock Exchange, with the complete Didn't-Do-The-Research misinterpretation of quantum mech, and a totally shitty excuse for Shoot flirting (really, "You've got a great shape"? That's the best you can do with the woman who gave us "I love it when you play doctor"?).

>>2064478
>mook guys
No indication on whether or not they are lgbt. Also not discussing violence in media in general. Also #MookLivesDontMatter
>>
>>
>>2064528
She dead though.
>>
>>2064269
>well my post was about the current state of things in general
>That's not how it works, every show is unique. It's not some one filming company set out to trigger every /u/-fag ever.

>Come back with that again when only 16% of all straight characters on TV get happy endings.
I will, when 90% of population becomes LGBTABCD and straight characters will only take up 20% or so of the cast.
How about we round up the deaths of straight characters, in absolute numbers?
>>
File: CRUqXsgVAAAYQAY.jpg (17 KB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
CRUqXsgVAAAYQAY.jpg
17 KB, 440x300
>>2063737
I don't want to see an Ai version of Root.
>>
>>2064533
NO SHES NOT
>>
>>2064522
It's not quite canon, some of the people behind the show have teased that it's possible that Root and Shaw have been having casual sex with each other since their first team-up in the middle of season 3 (Root's line to Shaw: "He's hot. I mean not 'hood and zip ties in a CIA safe house with ten hours to kill' hot but..." was a possible allusion to that). If true, that would mean that all this time Root has always wanted to be more than "friends with benefits" with Shaw and Shaw only recently admitting that she also has emotional romantic feelings for Root and willing to enter a more standard romantic relationship with her.

Them having had sex with each other regularly seemed to be contradicted by their pillow talk in 6,741, but considering it was a simulation, there could a number of explanations for the (possible) discrepancy.
>>
>>2064535
>well my post was about the current state of things in general
>That's not how it works, every show is unique. It's not some one filming company set out to trigger every /u/-fag ever.

Cool except it was you who responded to my post about GENERAL TREND with talking about this one specific show. Did this show do it better or is more justifiable in killing its lesbian? That's debatable but it's still part of the trend.

>I will, when 90% of population becomes LGBTABCD and straight characters will only take up 20% or so of the cast.

That's not how percentage works my dude. It doesn't matter that there are more straight characters therefore more straight characters dies. On avarage the percentage of dead straight characters is significantly lesser than the percentage of straight characters with happy end.
If LGBT characters make up only 4% of all characters in shows, yet 10% of all deaths something is fucking wrong.
>>
>>2064471
Im calling you a tumblr faggot because that's where this "discussion" belongs, or go piss on some delusional redditors.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit and anyone that's been on this board long enough knows our motto is "s/u/ffering" so you're not changing any minds. can we not turn this thread into a Sad Lesbians in Media pow wow with the added bonus of trolls? At least overlay some hand holding over your infographic if you're going to post one.

>>2064512
pretty much agree with you, an earlier reunion would have been nice but roots death made sense. I think they wanted to play with the machine!root dynamic and that's why she was first, John was a good candidate to die tho. we have four TM members left and 3 episodes so either someone is left standing or were in for another character death double feature. or the writers are full of shit and not going to cull nearly as much as they're implying.
>>
>>2064558
>That's not how percentage works my dude.
It is.
There are 100 straight characters in the show. 5 of them die. That's 5% of all straight characters in the show. Therefore, 95% got a happy ending.
There are 10 LGBTABCD characters in the show. 5 of them die. That's 50% of all LGBTABCD characters in the show. Therefore, 50% got a happy ending.

Note that the quantity of dead characters is the same in both cases, it's the percentage that varies.

>If LGBT characters make up only 4% of all characters in shows, yet 10% of all deaths something is fucking wrong.
I don't see a "10% of all deaths" statistic on your chart.
I also don't see an absolute number for the deaths of straight characters, main straight characters and dead main/side lesbian characters. As far as I see, the chart doesn't distinguish between insignificant one-off characters and protagonists, so we might as well count mooks' deaths as well.
>>
>>2064571
>we might as well count mooks' deaths as well.
God fucking dammit, I fix one mistake and then immediately make another.
>>
>>2064566
>Im calling you a tumblr faggot because
I honestly don't care t b h familia

>that's where this "discussion" belongs
>go piss on some delusional redditors
>I doubt anyone here gives a shit
>you're not changing any minds
>can we not turn this thread
> At least overlay some hand holding over

>whine whine whine

Or, consider this: don't respond and if this discussion truly doesn't belong and it will die out. Alternatively: report and hide and if mods agree with you it will also die out.

>>2064571
>95% straight characters got a happy ending
>50% of gay characters got a happy ending

And this is not a problem how? If 95% of straight characters are allowed to get happy endings shouldn't 95% of gay characters be also allowed to get happy endings if they are really just treated equally to straight characters and it just happens that some lesbians sometimes die?

>I don't see a "10% of all deaths" statistic on your chart.
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/1/11669730/tv-deaths-character-best
>Indeed, in our data set, fully 10 percent of all TV deaths were of queer women
>>
>>2064578
>And this is not a problem how?
It's not a problem because it's a hypothetical scenario I made up on the spot to demonstrate how percentage works.

> in our data set
I would be curious to see this data set. Unless they're referring to that "Every character that died on TV in the 2015-'16 season", in which case it's bullshit.
Also, according to the article they link to just a sentence earlier, there are "156 Dead Lesbian and Bisexual Characters On TV", starting from 1976. Which is, obviously, not enough to be 10% of all the deaths, and it also contradicts your infographic. To be generous, I'll add 50 more deaths to that count, just to compensate for possible forgetfulness and new deaths that happened since that article was published (11.03.16). Obviously, those are actual named characters. I'm not sure how many actual protagonists there are on that list, though; I see at least several characters who barely appeared in the show prior to their deaths. Now let's take... well, let's see. Game of Thrones has a fuckton of deaths, right? Let's take that one.

I used this infographic to round up a total number of named male characters' deaths with a reason behind their murder. I also tried to count at least somewhat important characters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/entertainment/game-of-thrones/

So I've come up with 47 deaths of dead named male characters of average to high importance. That's 1/4 of all supposed lesbian deaths since the first appearance of a lesbian character. And that's only one show. How about we add women to the mix?
About 60 deaths. Also two dead wolves.

So until I see this supposed "data set" they used, I'm going to stay skeptical about "10% of all deaths".
>>
>>2064601
Only 2 dead wolves? You not up to date.
>>
>>2064604
Did they kill another wolf? Goddammit, wolves were the heart and soul of this show.
>>
>>2064601
>It's not a problem because it's a hypothetical scenario I made up on the spot to demonstrate how percentage works.
>
So I've come up with 47 deaths of dead named male characters of average to high importance. That's 1/4 of all supposed lesbian deaths since the first appearance of a lesbian character. And that's only one show.

Yet you still don't get that when you have 1000 characters of one group and 50 of them dies it's a lesser impact than when you have 50 characters of another group and 25 of them dies?
Yes, you have a ton of male characters who died on game of thrones.
Now imagine those 47 guys were part of a group of only 100 guys that ever appeared on TV this season and everyone else is either a woman, an alien or a pink space gorilla.

>Unless they're referring to that "Every character that died on TV in the 2015-'16 season", in which case it's bullshit.
Please do explain how is it bullshit. They specifically list every single dead character from TV season 2015-2016 along with their gender and sexuality.
Out of 241 dead characters, 29 was gay which is ~12%
>>
File: once1.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
once1.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>2063154
Yeah, no kidding.
>>
>>2064609
>Yet you still don't get that when you have 1000 characters of one group and 50 of them dies it's a lesser impact than when you have 50 characters of another group and 25 of them dies?
Obviously it has a lesser impact. You're comparing 5% with 50%. When you have 1000 characters and 500 of them dies, that seems like a pretty big impact to me.

Besides, how many of those ~206 dead lesbians/bisexuals do you really care about? You talk about "general trend", but how much of this general trend has an impact on you personally? If a lesbian dies in a show I don't watch, I don't care. It might be stupid, pointless, "muh ded gays" and everything, it still wouldn't have any impact on me.
Kinda the problem with generalizing things, really.

>Please do explain how is it bullshit
Because "12% of deaths in the 2015-16' season" is not "12% deaths of all time". I thought that was obvious.
>>
File: once2.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
once2.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>2064610
They really get into it tho. It's like a pair of vacuum cleaners.
Keks at the rest of the characters standing there awkwardly.
And Fa "I'm gay for Aurora" Mulan, which, mark my words, won't be so gay for Aurora, or anyone else, for long.
>>
>>2064611

>Obviously it has a lesser impact. You're comparing 5% with 50%. When you have 1000 characters and 500 of them dies, that seems like a pretty big impact to me.

Exactly

>Because "12% of deaths in the 2015-16' season" is not "12% deaths of all time". I thought that was obvious.
But no one claimed it was all "of all time"? Gays weren't even something that happened on TV semi regularly until very recent, so even if they killed every lesbian that ever appeared that wouldn't make 10% of all killed characters in the history of TV (which is another problem) But we are in the year 2016, talking about shows from 2016, so facts from 2016 are still relevant.

>Besides, how many of those ~206 dead lesbians/bisexuals do you really care about? You talk about "general trend", but how much of this general trend has an impact on you personally? If a lesbian dies in a show I don't watch, I don't care. It might be stupid, pointless, "muh ded gays" and everything, it still wouldn't have any impact on me.
I don't know Anon. Even if I don't watch the show I still like knowing that girls who love other girls exist in it and are alive and happy.
I don't watch The 100 (I had it on my to watch list though) but I was still pissed when reading the lesbian died from a stray bullet after getting laid once. The fact that it seems the girl she loved is being built up to end with a dude is doubly maddening.
>>
>>2064629
>Exactly
Well, if you want to put it this way. As I said, I don't see how 25 characters from 25 different shows dying has a bigger impact than 500 characters from 500 different shows dying, even if those 500 are all straight white males and 25 are all lesbians, unless you're invested in all of those 25 shows and in all of those 25 characters, don't care about any non-lesbian characters and nobody else dies.
Which, in the context of PoI (I assume this is what started this discussion; if I'm wrong, ignore this part), is not true.

>But no one claimed it was all "of all time"?
Let's recap. You posted an infographic covering 1976-2016 period (a period from the first appearance of a lesbian character on TV to this day). Which is, basically, "all time" in the context of this discussion.

>>2064558
>If LGBT characters make up only 4% of all characters in shows, yet 10% of all deaths
"4%" isn't present on the chart nor in the article, so I assume you got that off somewhere else. Either way, there's nothing in this sentence implying you were talking about 2015-16' period, since it was posted before you provided that link.

>>2064571
>I don't see a "10% of all deaths" statistic on your chart.

>>2064578
>http://www.vox.com/2016/6/1/11669730/tv-deaths-character-best
So you linked me to this post after I asked about where you got the "10% of all deaths" from. Now, I assume a misunderstanding happened somewhere along the way, because when I first asked about the 10% thing, we weren't "talking about shows from 2016". In fact, you yourself said you were talking about a general trend.

>I was still pissed when reading the lesbian died from a stray bullet after getting laid once.
You don't even know the character. She might've been an unlikable bitch (which she kinda is, although that's mostly due to the sheer stupidity of the plot), is her being a lesbian really enough for you to elicit such reaction?
>>
>>2063154

Isn't Once Upon a Time lesbian friendly?
>>
>>2064657
I thought the general consensus here was that it's mostly fanservice.
>>
>>2064658
The general consensus is that it's pretty much terrible.
But has good fics, or so I've heard.
>>
The difference between Shoot and OUAT or Clexa or other series is that 1. PoI is a decent show and 2. Shoot is an ultimate OTP with fantastic chemistry and a relationship dynamic that's distinct and compelling (psycho + socio), even if it were hetero. That's why only getting 4 episodes of confirmed Shoot (note 3 involved one of them getting killed in some manner, and the 4th had less than 8min total of either Root or Shaw.) without a single moment for them to just "be" is so grating.

Regarding the dead lesbians meme, if you're bothered by the sjw tinge, just settle on the notion that such a disproportionate number of lesbian couples getting bumped off means it's become a massively overused trope. Indeed, Joss Whedon said even 20 years ago he would have redone things due to its overuse when the trope was brought to his attention after he offed Tara in BtVS.
>>
>>2064652
>I don't see how 25 characters from 25 different shows dying has a bigger impact than 500 characters from 500 different shows dying, even if those 500 are all straight white males and 25 are all lesbians
Well the difference is, if 500 straight characters dies you still have 3500 other to choose from. When 25 lesbians die, you are left with only 25 lesbians. You are statistically far more likely to find another straight male character you like.
I guess we have a different point of view here, where you don't care unless you are emotionally invested in a character, and I do care as long as it concerns the specific group of people.

>Let's recap. You posted an infographic covering 1976-2016 period

Yeah the graphic was supposed to show how few of all lesbians ever on American TV got a happy end. Over the course of the discussion I started talking more in terms of the current TV shows like POI, The 100, Empire etc. I should have clarified the 10% figure concerns contemporary TV (which is still a significant number, especially considering how few gays there are in the first place), but really, like I said, there wouldn't be enough lesbians to make up the 10% of all time anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

>"4%" isn't present on the chart nor in the article, so I assume you got that off somewhere else.
Yes, actually.
http://www.glaad.org/files/GLAAD-2015-WWAT.pdf

>In fact, you yourself said you were talking about a general trend.
Yes, a general trend of recent years. Which kinda couldn't be considered a trend 20 years ago when lesbians either appeared once a year or were there for the sake of stereotype.

>is her being a lesbian really enough for you to elicit such reaction?
She was a lesbian warrior/leader, who died a shameful death, of course it is.
>>
>>2064686
>Yes, a general trend of recent years. Which kinda couldn't be considered a trend 20 years ago when lesbians either appeared once a year or were there for the sake of stereotype.
Or more like the trend was always there, hence the trope of dead gays, but the more lesbian or gay characters in media appear and the more meaningful roles they have, the more noticeable that "trend" gets.
>>
>>2064686
>She was a lesbian warrior/leader, who died a shameful death
She left her people to die and betrayed her allies, she deserves a worse death.
>>
>>2064708
qtpie lesbians never ever deserve death
>>
>>2062310
i am the impatient anon and I watched up through episode 9 of wynonna earp so far. it's a syfy show, so bad cgi is par for the course. the lesbians are pretty cute, but one of them has a boyfriend until episode 7, but you only see him being obnoxious for the most part. there is some cute flirting before the breakup too, the gay cop shows up in ep 2. gay cop is great, and according to the producer will be alive at the end of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsHEQvPvKo

if you don't like scifi/horror/people in cowboy hats, you won't like the show but there are already compilations up on youtube. the writing of the mc and her sister is very hit or miss, and you will probably either like or hate them. it gets slightly preachy at times, follows a sort of monster of the week setup, and has het. and a het femdom shoe fetish scene. it's not a top shelf show, writing is either funny or cringey, but it has some charm. also, i know this bothers some people, the dialogue uses a fair bit of slang, such as "hella dope". mostly from the mc.
>>
>>2064761
>scifi/horror/people in cowboy hats
wait what. I thought it's some kind of normal cop drama only in Texas or whatever.
>>
>>2064767
it's actually more supernatural, my bad.

alcoholic white girl becomes reluctant protagonist that shoots white trash demon people because of a family curse.
>>
>>2064776
That actually greatly increased my interest, thanks.
>>
>>2064148
This scene was unexpected and awesome.
>>
>>2064533
There's still the chance she didn't die and has a genetically modified (neolutionist) body.
>>
>>2064779
np anon.

>>2064789
it was confirmed that the last someone saw of her she was alive, but picked up by an UNIDENTIFIED FACTION. last ep of the season is next week and not sure if she's going to show up for a second or they're going to drag out the reveal until next season.
>>
>>2064673
>said even 20 years ago
>trope's still there

Yeah, really looks like they'll drop it.
>>
So, apparently POI 5x12 and 5x13 scripts were leaked online, the CC script actually. Search "poi zetaboards" and look in there if you're curious. Credibility issues and all and I don't want to spread false information.

I actually don't know how I feel about the season finale or the entire show now...how could something so great and amazing turn out like this? I'd expected it, but damn, did they majorly fuck up.
>>
>>2065173
Guess I'll be hiding this thread until the finale then.
>>
>>2064673
>20 years ago was only 1996

Why do I still think of the 80's when I see 20 years ago
>>
>>2065183
Definitely should. Gotta steer clear of social media too. Man, it's gonna be a difficult three weeks
>>
>>2065173
Oh hell, man, just post here and spoiler or something, I don't consider wading through forums fun.
>>
So from /tv/, there might be a new X-Men movie featuring X-23 as the lead. And rumors has it she might have a female love interest instead of a male. How would this deviate from the comic?
>>
>>2065280
Wrong place to ask considering there's a comic thread up but wouldn't deviate that much. X-23 is wolvy in her line of comics or something. The female lead would be the biggest deviation.
>>
>>2065290
So she's in love with Wolverine? That's weird since that's technically her father. Anyways I thought thread was about discussing western media like TV and movies. My apologizes.
>>
>>2065303
Literally where did that anon say she is in love with Wolverine. They have a father-daughter relationship.
I'll be cautious and call bullshit on her having a female love interest though (where is the source of that rumour btw?)
>>
>>2065303
>So she's in love with Wolverine?
Where did I say that? Alright so you have a point but if you wanted a better answer you should've asked in >>2050259 since you're asking about deviation from comics more than speculation regarding a possible movie
>>
File: x23jubilee16.jpg (209 KB, 773x1089) Image search: [Google]
x23jubilee16.jpg
209 KB, 773x1089
>>2065280
>How would this deviate from the comic?
X-23 been shown to be het, but she does kind of have a gal pal-ish friendship with vampire Jubilee.
>>
>>2065354
>vampire Jubilee
Should I even ask?
>>
>>2065362
It was dumb.
>>
>>2065363
It was hot.
>>
>>2064871
>last ep of the season is next week
Season finale actually airs on the 16th.
>>
>tfw afraid to look for recent fanart
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>2062191
so when does one of them die?
>>
>>2062191
She kinda looks like Christopher Walken in the close-ups....
>>
>>2064516

yes,
https://youtu.be/pgEYvVBP_20?t=44

> Person of Interest s04e11(...).jpg
>>
>>2066030
SHOOT
THE
FUCKING
BUTTON
YOU NIGNOGS
>>
>>2061677
>finale is called return 0

Nice.

>>2061701
>that webm
That was a great episode overall but that part was just hilarious.
>>
>>2062190
>>2062191
>this show has lesbians

Fuck why did I drop it after the second episode?
>>
>>2066057
Because it's a not very good show?
>>
>>2066058
But...lesbians...
>>
Are there any good shows involving lesbian separatism in positive light?
>>
>>2066060
In a not very good show.
Binge watch their scenes on YouTube, you won't miss out on anything.
>>
>>2065354
>vampire jubilee
>fem wolvy
>GRUFF N TUFF LESBIAN SHATTERED BY SHINY VAMPIRE
where do I throw money
>>
>>2066115
two or so years in the past
>>
>>2066074
Holy shit, no kidding.
I tried the first episode, was the script to this a fucking songfic?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.