[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Criterion Leaving Hulu for "Filmstruck" App, In Partnership
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: Hulu.jpg (19 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
Hulu.jpg
19 KB, 620x350
>TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

>Film buffs soon will have a new viewing option for contemporary and classic movies with the start of a streaming service called FilmStruck this fall.

>Developed by Turner Classic Movies in partnership with Criterion Collection, the new subscription-based service will feature hundreds of films from independent and major Hollywood studios. Those include “Seven Samurai,” “Breaker Morant,” “Blood Simple” and “Mad Max.”

>FilmStruck also will be the exclusive streaming destination for Criterion Collection, which specializes in licensing classic and contemporary films. Criterion will operate a channel on the service to spotlight more than 1,000 films and other content such as commentary on films and filmmakers.

>The service will be advertising free. Specific pricing details are still being determined.

>“FilmStruck is a terrific example of our strategy to meet consumer demand for great content across all screens,” John Martin, chief executive of Turner, said in a statement. “It’s tailor-made for the die-hard movie enthusiast that crave a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films. And it takes advantage of TCM’s powerful curation capabilities as well as its proven track record of building a long-term relationship with passionate film fans.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/movies/tcm-and-criterion-to-offerstreaming-service-filmstruck.html

Not sure how to feel about this just yet. Criterion's the major reason I pay for Hulu. Hoping it's cheap I guess. And available on PS4 or at least Apple TV.
>>
yeah that's pretty fucked up. Criterion titles have been a huge part of Hulu's identity since it launched.

TCM definitely needs a stake in the streaming game though, so I guess it makes sense for them.
>>
>>68766751
It's as if they don't understand that exclusivity breeds piracy. I don't want to sign up for 4 streaming services when tpb + vpn gives me a better selection.
>>
Another reason to pirate, they keep splitting up content on Netflix/Hulu/Prime to make their own service to compete with them instead, which will cost twice as much if you want both.
>>
>>68766751

If its under $10/month and can work through PS4 I will sign up.
>>
There's a trailer explaining it a bit on the Filmstruck Facebook page and their website..

http://filmstruck.com

"New titles every week."

This may very well be the patrician streaming service
>>
>>68766914
This is my feeling. Now to debate keeping Hulu or not for television. Seems like this new app will offer more updates and selection. Hulu got a few new Criterion titles only every few months.

>Global media company Turner is launching the company's first direct-to-consumer product in the U.S., called FilmStruck. This brand new subscription video on-demand service for film aficionados, developed and managed by Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in collaboration with the Criterion Collection, will feature a comprehensive and constantly refreshed library of films comprised of an eclectic mix of contemporary and classic arthouse, indie, foreign and cult films. FilmStruck will also be the new exclusive streaming home for the critically acclaimed and award-winning Criterion Collection, which will include the Criterion Channel, a new premium service programmed and curated by the Criterion team. FilmStruck will allow viewers to watch movies anywhere and anytime on the device of their choice, in a completely ad-free environment, and is slated to launch in fall 2016.

>FilmStruck's impressive library will feature a deep roster of films from such celebrated indie studios as Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, along with movies from Hollywood's major movie studios including Warner Bros. Among the hundreds of critically acclaimed and award-winning titles to be featured on FilmStruck are Seven Samurai, A Hard Day's Night, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player.
>>
I don't know how it took me so long to realize, but I've only started using the TCM app on iOS. The back catalog's not much, but live streaming is key.
>>
>“Criterion is teaming up with TCM to launch an arthouse film lovers' dream streaming service,” said Peter Becker, president of the Criterion Collection. “Working with TCM's programming team, we'll present a broad, constantly changing cross-section of Criterion titles on FilmStruck, a platform designed from the start to present films with the kind of robust supplemental features that Criterion is known for. The addition of the premium Criterion Channel will offer subscribers the most comprehensive Criterion experience ever available anywhere, including a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else. We’re very excited to be joining forces with TCM to make FilmStruck the streaming service serious movie fans have been waiting for.”

/film/ launches, now this...coincidence?
>>
>>68767425
I thought that was a meme. when is /film/ launching?
>>
>>68766946
>streaming
>patrician
>>
>>68766751
>>68766946
>>68767039
>2016
>paying for movies
why
>>
>>68766751
Id buy it just for the TCM content.
>>
File: everything3a[1].jpg (42 KB, 800x325) Image search: [Google]
everything3a[1].jpg
42 KB, 800x325
That's fine. I already watched all the Suzuki in their collection.
>>
>>68767490
Convenience. The ability to see a wide variety of media on a whim. Supporting a worthwhile artistic endeavor.
>>
>>68766859
>>68766901
Yeah fuck competition and shit. I wish we had one single gigantic streaming giant with no one else on the market to keep them in check and prevent them from just jacking the prices up for no reason other than to increase profits. I fucking love monopolies, comrades.
>>
>>68766751
Very excited to watch all these obscure movies from Kurosawa, Fellini and Godard thank you Criterion patricians
>>
>>68767532
>The ability to see a wide variety of media on a whim
maybe you should spend the money on good internet instead if you have a problem downloading torrents in a timely manner
>>
>>68766751
I'm interested in the special features, that's something streaming services like Netflix don't offer.
>>
File: janus.jpg (41 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
janus.jpg
41 KB, 1920x1080
Was thinking of signing up for standalone Amazon Prime Video, will now save shekels for this.
>>
>>68767652
Oh god, this tired argument again. Yeah, your internet setup is super impressive. You've done well for yourself, awesome machine, great VPN, lightning fast internet, bravo, really.

Some of us, for the cost of a sandwich a month, like the ease of use and selection. Thousands of titles ready to be played in a nanosecond depending on your mood, who you're with, etc. It's cheap and easy and takes no time at all. Nothing against your setup, again, i'm sure it's totally impressive.
>>
>>68767746
why would I need to pay for a VPN
>>
>>68767652
not every torrent has a reliable or fast seed pool. unless you only watch multiplex McCinema, that is.
>>
>>68767790
Not sure I follow, I didnt imply that?
>>
>>68767877
>You've done well for yourself, awesome machine, great VPN,
>>
>>68767790
Not the guy you're replying to, but depending on where you live/your ISP you may very well need to use a solid VPN. Those massive quantities of data can get noticed quickly and result in either a shut down or a big fine.
>>
>>68767039

Only have Netflix and Amazon Prime Video because I signed up for Amazon Prime. Rather have this Criterion/TCM combo than Hulu.
>>
>>68767888
Yeah I just mean I assume you have a good VPN in place, which is great. Paid or unpaid. I'm not knocking such a setup, or method, it's just not nearly as convenient and doesnt allow such vast choice.
>>
>>68767907
>Those massive quantities of data can get noticed quickly
do you live in North Korea? ISPs don't care until they get a notice from copyright holders, which is why you use private trackers.

>>68767834
criterion movies do though

>>68767970
I don't have one paid or not. It's worthless
>>
>>68767039
The paying for ads bullshit was frustrating for years, and I only upgraded once they basically extorted you into doing so by steadily increasing the ad-load. Without Criterion Collection, the only real use to Hulu I think is basically having a day-after cable service. And I don't have cable because 99% of the shit on there is useless, with the other 1% available to stream off various apps.

Hulu doesn't have any original programming that I give a shit about either, so it's a pretty easy sell for me.
>>
>>68768164
>criterion movies do though

Maybe a couple dozen of the greatest hits, but there are honestly a ton of lesser known non-Bergman/Fellini/Kurosowa etc titles
>>
I'm into it. I like Criterion and TCM. Criterion on hulu always seemed like a bad fit anyway since you can't even search shit like actors and directors.
>>
Anyone know when they are leaving Hulu? I need to know how many films I can watch before they're taken down.
>>
>>68768366
>you can't even search shit like actors and directors.

That's been such a frustrating, befuddling flaw in the UI. Even Netflix allows you to do so with their roster of literally whos.
>>
>>68768410
"Fall"
>>
>>68767459
it was only discovered yesterday that it's even gonna happen. No idea when the launch is.
>>
>>68768410
>>68768457
Fall is when it launches. they could pull out of Hulu before thar
>>
>>68768164
>do you live in North Korea
No.

>ISPs don't care
Believe it or not, those big companies making lots of money off of bandwidth and connection speeds do care. Many of them will throttle your connection if they think you're sucking up too much data space.

>until they get a notice from copyright holders
You don't think that the major studios have legions of lawyers sending out letters every single day trying to sue for money and curb copyright infringement?

Look, I'm not saying that most people ever have a problem with it. But if you're torrenting for literally everything you watch you're increasing the likelihood of needing a VPN to circumvent detection. More power to you famalam, but honestly the pittance people pay for Netflix and shit for the convenience is the better option FOR MOST than having to torrent everything.
>>
>>68768505
>it'shappening.gif
>>
>>68768571
>on't think that the major studios have legions of lawyers sending out letters every single day trying to sue for money and curb copyright infringement?
Not for private trackers
>>
>>68767459
>yfw /film/ will be a subscription-based board
Do it Hiro
>>
>>68768873
this
>>
>>68768505
>>68767459

It's invite only now in beta, but so far much, much better than this cesspool
>>
>>68766751
This is something I would actually pay for
>>
>>68769903
>babby's first 4chan bait
>>
>>68769992
if you purchased a 4chan pass you got an invite sent to the email you bought the pass with
>>
>>68768873
Excited for the launch of The /film/ Wine Club and this year's /film/ Classic Cruise
>>
>>68766751
Criterion is the only reason I subscribed to Hulu. I'm glad I'll be able to cancel that soon enough because Hulu is shit.
>>
Capitalists (jews) would love monopolies much more than communists.
>>
File: carole.gif (709 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
carole.gif
709 KB, 245x245
>>68766751
I mostly watch Hulu for new TV shows and weeb shit so this doesn't bother me. Also I've been holding my breath for a TCM streaming service for years

>mfw I'll finally be able to watch the TCM library of classic Hollywood movies anytime anywhere without a cable package, and Criterion as the icing on the cake
FUCK YES

What would make it even better is if they got Kino Lorber and Olive Films on board, but I guess we can't have everything.
>>
>>68770468
>Kino Lorber

I thought that was the same as >>68767039
>such celebrated indie studios as [...] Kino
?
>>
>>68770604
I'm pretty sure they are different companies
>>
>>68770728
Ah word, maybe in time, impressive lineup thus far.
>>
File: it_has_to_be_now.jpg (60 KB, 653x612) Image search: [Google]
it_has_to_be_now.jpg
60 KB, 653x612
>>68770759
Especially Warner Bros, I always thought their "Warner Archives" service wasn't worth it for the price, but as an add-on to Filmstruck... pure poetry
>>
If I wasn't lazy and depressed and still watched more than one movie a week I'd actually pay for this

>>68766858
Not really. They have barely any front page advertising on Hulu, the navigation for the Criterion page is abysmal and it gets updated with new titles like 3 times a year

>>68770728
Kino Lorber is Kino Films + Lorber Films, its the same.
>>
>>68766946
>>68766751
When I graduate college I will literally only pay for this and netflix.

imagine only having $20 a month for entertainment expenses. What a world.
>>
>>68771018
Yeah Warner Archive is a big one. I hate how Netflix's classic studio film lineup has vanished over the past few years, not just the old black and white movies but random titles from the 60s-80s that were always neat to check out on a whim
>>
>>68766751
This and Chiller seem cool, bring that shit overseas dummies fucking every streaming service but Netflix is America only
>>
>>68771896
Thats because EU has different licensing agreements. Criterion has the market cornered for classic arthouse films in the us, but in those native countries the rights are held by a dozen different people
>>
Criterion titles will be available on Hulu until November, for anyone wondering. I'll be switching over then, seeing as Criterion is the only reason I have a Hulu subscription

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4032-introducing-filmstruck
>>
>>68772852
>rotating selection
This is going to be shit
But they'll still make a fortune because their fans are delusional drones
>>
>>68771052
>If I wasn't lazy and depressed and still watched more than one movie a week I'd actually pay for this

too real :_;
>>
>>68773437
Whose fans? I don't really care much about Criterion, what matters to me is what TCM, Kino, Warner Bros and other Hollywood studios are bringing to the table. The service will be cool with or without the Criterion Collection
>>
File: 1456634196471.jpg (32 KB, 388x496) Image search: [Google]
1456634196471.jpg
32 KB, 388x496
>>68771052
>be lazy and depressed
>this means watching FEWER movies
nigger you're doing it wrong
>>
File: 1449623467138.jpg (226 KB, 740x1130) Image search: [Google]
1449623467138.jpg
226 KB, 740x1130
>>68773801
>suffering from actual depression
>not losing interest in things you care about

I wish it were different but when its bad, it's like, what's the point.
>>
>>68774048
Ah, I see your point. I've never had serious depression just minor dysthymia, general malaise and hardcore sehnsucht.

Sounds terrible. Meds?
>>
>>68772852
huh interesting, so theyll be on both services for a few months...
>>
>>68766858
Hulu is locked to 720p though. Hopefully this changes that. I pay for PlayStation Vue mainly for TCM. This might change that. May also get rid of Hulu, as I don't watch TV.
>>
File: 1441851075435.png (1 MB, 912x905) Image search: [Google]
1441851075435.png
1 MB, 912x905
>PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS LITERALLY FREE
>PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT THE CREATORS OF ARE DEAD
>>
>>68766859
>competition
>one service has all the criterion collection
>all the others don't

Competition would imply both hulu and filmstruck have the criterion collection, which will not be true.

It's jews jewing jews, they're turning the internet into cable tv.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.