[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Thing (1982) and Alien (1979)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 1980 (1).jpg (135 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1980 (1).jpg
135 KB, 1280x720
Which sci-fi horror is better?
And who do you like the most, MacReady, or Dallas?
>>
>>67316828
The Thing
>>
The Thing
MacReady
>>
Videodrome (1983)
>>
>>67316828
i'd just like to point out here that kurt russell looks exactly like french duke rollo in that pic

that is all
>>
>>67316828
Are you joking? Guy on the right was a pussy.

Russell's character owned the fucking continent of Antartica, not even the thing could fuck with him. He held the flame thrower and burned the bastard.

The guy on the right was pathetic. He ended up in the pipe system with a flamethrower and the Alien near him and he couldn't even burn it once. He just sat there like a floppy cock with the flame infront of his face and never pulled the trigger. Number 1 rage moment in movie history was watching the pathetic fucking cast from Alien try to kill it. They were so so so fucking useless they all just walked at it and died with no fight punching flames or anything, pathetic shit Alien movie doesnt even come close to The Thing.
>>
>>67316854

This
>>
File: 1414939600987.jpg (99 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1414939600987.jpg
99 KB, 500x750
alien better sci fi but they are pretty tied for horror. they both have very immersive atmospheres.

while they both were pretty selfless, macready stayed more collected/rational/proactive, thus more effective in a survival situation. also kurt russel seems really fun.
>>
The Thing did better scares, but Alien did better suspense.
>>
>>67316828
Alien.
>>
>>67316828
Captain Dallas was a fucking pussy and a company man while MacReady was cool and didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>67317074

>beat me at chess will you, fuck you computer
>>
They're different. Personally if I were to choose one to rewatch I'd rewatch The Thing, but I don't think you can say one is better than the other.
>>
>>67316828

Both are great movies. MacReady is the stronger character though, made smart decisions throughout the movie and survived till the credits.
>>
Macready no contest. How can you not respect a man who's sole motivation is to go back to his cabin & get drunk?
>>
>>67316900
>Russell's character owned the fucking continent of Antartica
He was a drunk that got butthurt at a computer beating him at chess.
>>
The Thing never fails to enthrall me. Alien is boring.

I know I just shat out pleb opinion: the post but its honest
>>
File: 518444.jpg (478 KB, 1920x820) Image search: [Google]
518444.jpg
478 KB, 1920x820
Alien, and Dallas
Just prefer alien.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU
>>
Reminder: xenomorphs could fucking rek the thing
No weaknesses
All life is fair game
The more the thing assimilates the more burning, screaming agony there will be when faced with the ultimate organism
>>
>>67317437
Could the thing even assimilate with the xenomorphs? They have acid blood so would that just fuck the thing up
>>
>>67316964
>dat pic
:3
>>
>>67317437
Even if this is bait, probably the truth.
>>
>>67317437

I don't think we've even seen the true form of the thing.
>>
>>67317502
Whilst there isn't really any reason why the thing wouldn't be able to assimilate a xeno, I imagine a shitload of acid blood would erase the thing from existence.
>>
>>67316828

The Thing stands up better to multiple viewings but Alien might be the better film.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Alien is just so slow and the interactions between characters more limited. The Thing has a higher tempo and more things happening, more performances to watch.
>>
>>67317502
The materials they're made of are literally incompatible with carbon-based organics with which the thing interacts with readily, their whole bodies are basically poison to the thing.
Xenos are the one and only natural deterrent to it.
>>
File: thing1c.jpg (13 KB, 600x257) Image search: [Google]
thing1c.jpg
13 KB, 600x257
>>67317292
From where I was sitting, it looked like MacReady won.

Humanity: 1
Smug Robot Shits: 0
>>
File: 661.jpg (560 KB, 780x2146) Image search: [Google]
661.jpg
560 KB, 780x2146
The Thing

MacReady of course
>>
>>67317437
>thing turns into a giant monster and stabs the Xenomorph with an arm spear
>arm spear melts off, Thing roars with pain, Xeno still dead

Not being able to assimilate it doesn't mean shit.
>>
>Snake
>versus faggot that died like a bitch
How is this even a competition?
>>
File: deathwish.gif (977 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
deathwish.gif
977 KB, 450x250
>>67316854
this, but only because Alien is more sci-fi than horror. ps. Dallas was bitch and died like a bitch
>>
>>67317591
I think most people that watch both feel that way. The thing has a great soundtrack and keeps the viewer entertained, but alien has a pretty distinct lack of scores during the majority of its scenes, I'm sure that's literally the reason people find it boring. But it wouldn't be anywhere near as suspenseful if more music was added, it's not needed.
>>
>>67316986
The Thing is more suspenseful imo. Just that atmosphere of paranoia that permeates throughout does it for me.
>>
>>67317911
They're similar films, but peoples opinions are usually based on what they find more terrifying, being stuck on the nostromo with the alien, or being at the research station with the thing running around with you.
I've found that claustrophobics tend to find the nostromo worse
>>
>>67317760
>going after a xeno with the biological equivalent of spears and knives
WEW LAD
>>
>>67317752
who's the artist of that poster?
>>
>>67318256
nvm found it (it's Justin Bartlett)
>>
>>67317760
this is assuming that the thing can kill the xeno from range, a feat rarely accomplished by anything other than someone with an automatic weapon.
I'd say if the xeno gets close, things fucked.
>Climb atop the thing
>If it stabs you, happily bleed all over it
>If it doesn't, murder the fuck out of it
>>
>>67316828
Let me put it like this. I've seen Alien. I haven't seen The Thing. Alien must be better.
>>
>>67318339

Very arbitrary
>>
>>67318339
I'm going to watch it for the first time in like 10 minutes, pretty excited
>>
Alien is better because it has prime SigWeav in her underwears.
>>
>>67318499
if she had any ass whatsoever that scene would be perfect
>>
>>67317760
>implying xenomorph biology wouldn't act like a literal cancer when exposed to the thing and all its cellular meddling
>>
>>67316828
Predator 2
Pregnant woman
>>
>>67318480
You'll love it but sleep badly
>>
>>67317509
The Thing's true form is a single cell.
>>
>>67318845
patrician
>>
Very hard choice for me, but I think the Thing deserves it for the special effects.
>>
>>67319088
Care for a crab leg, dear boy?
>>
>>67319081
This.
Anything else you see is imitation.
I don't think something like this could evolve naturally tho, I believe it's an alien experiment gone wrong.
>yfw the beings that created it had the last sample contained on the ship and were on their way to Mercury to dispose of it in ritualistic manner by burning it in the sun's radiation in order to atone for the sins of their biotechnological meddling and all the death they had caused
>yfw the distress beacon couldn't get through all the ice and snow and the ayylmaos assumed the escape but also that they committed suicide by flying into the sun
>yfw the beacon is now damaged, the thing is set loose once more and nobody is prepared
We are fucked.
>>
>>67318480

I envy you right now.
>>
>>67316900
Do you make dragon noises when you watch GoT?
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>67316828
Carpenter didnt want his monster to be just a guy in a suit, like the alien at the end of the alien movie.
>>
>Americans role playing as Macready in their minds.
Remind me again, why didnt monarchy work in the US?
>>
Love both, but The Thing is way better. Better pacing, atmosphere, acting, action, suspense, gore.
>>
>>67319478
the elder race created the shoggoth
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.