[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy TV shows general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: duthdzjwxjkmhw5eohxt.jpg (56 KB, 532x362) Image search: [Google]
duthdzjwxjkmhw5eohxt.jpg
56 KB, 532x362
>>
File: 03.jpg (39 KB, 480x324) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
39 KB, 480x324
>>
File: 1451699459563.jpg (274 KB, 721x887) Image search: [Google]
1451699459563.jpg
274 KB, 721x887
yuru yuri
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (240 KB, 1280x998) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
240 KB, 1280x998
ITT only the best
>>
File: blunt to death.jpg (106 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
blunt to death.jpg
106 KB, 600x600
>>64402114
Bored to Death and Blunt Talk, both written by Jonathan Ames.
>>
>>64402471
Fuck off Judd, no one cares about you failure of a """""TV show""""""
>>
File: 1383104636663.png (75 KB, 506x608) Image search: [Google]
1383104636663.png
75 KB, 506x608
>>64402114
>tfw leo doesn't understand how some people can have just one drink
>>
>>64402643

>tfw Sam Seaborn had better things to do than work in the white house
>>
Thinking of watching Frasier, though not it its entirety, what is a good season to watch?
>>
>>64403338
First seven are excellent, last four are still good but not as good.
>>
>>64402114
I've been using this as my background show recently, and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. I like the characters and am a fan of Sorkin dialogue when it works, but viewing it in a post Newsroom world I realized early on that the political explorations were bloviated bullshit, and that's like 75% of the show. Most episodes you can hear the faint sound of all the rails Sorkin blew, which isn't as funny as it should be.
>>
>>64404455
>I realized early on that the political explorations were bloviated bullshit,

Example?
>>
>>64402642
>failure
>literally a cult phenomenon
>>
>>64404594

I don't think you know what literally means
>>
Gilmore Girls
Twin Peaks
Seinfeld
3rd Rock from the Sun
>>
>>64404649
Ah, Reddit. I wondered when we'd be seeing you again
>>
>>64404564
Literally any given episode. There is no consistency throughout the seasons that I've watched and it became fairly apparent early on that the characters adopt differing viewpoints based on whatever point Sorkin wanted to make that week.
>>
>>64402114
>watching liberal trash
>>
>>64404742

Fine but give me hard examples
>>
>>64404845
This isn't a fucking college essay. The point is that there is no internal consistency or logical progression to the characters' points of view. The slate gets wiped clean every episode and plot points get plucked at random based on the political message that Sorkin wanted to tackle that week.
>>
>>64402643
>>64402114
I have watched 3.5 seasons

Sam Seaborn has just left to go become an Orange county congressman. It's comfy. How long is it before the show goes to shit? Now that Bartlet is re elected the thing I'm waiting for is for Josh and Donna to realize they love each other. But that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen for like 2 seasons.

I like most characters and the show in general. It's cute how optimistic it is. When they kill the equivalent to Bin laden extra judiciously they have long talks about the morality of it, they do it in great secret. Today Obama is icing Yemeni weddings like it's no thing and spying on everyone.

The show is basically like propaganda for representative democracy aimed at liberals. Aaron Sorkin couldn't make a show like this today because people wouldn't buy an idealistic depiction of federal government in action.

I like those debates about morality/politics. There's one episode where you notice clearly that it's the first episode that directly deals with 9/11 and the anger everyone has towards it. It's really cool that there was a show that could talk about politics in such a direct way, yet still being really cinematic and cool. Here's one of my favourite scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN8U-TSbfwE

Anyway I really like this show.
>>
>>64405020
>Sam Seaborn has just left to go become an Orange county congressman. It's comfy. How long is it before the show goes to shit?

You've reach the high point. Seaborn leaves mid season 4 and Sorkin leaves at the end of season 4.
>>
>>64405106
So if I forever wanna keep my love of the show, I should stop after season 4. Weird that they would write out Seaborn. He is the most charismatic guy on the show and he tends to have the same political views as me
>>
>>64405020
My main complaint with it is that it's about as grounded as a balloon that a kid let go and it tries to have serious political discussions every week. There's a tonal dissonance that results in it feeling super preachy.
>>
>>64405229
>Weird that they would write out Seaborn

They didn't write him out, he left. He was initially supposed to be the showrunner but Martin Sheen was so captivating as the president they gave him more time while reducing Lowe's character.
>>
File: 1450428338188.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450428338188.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>64402370

>Gochiusa

FTFY
>>
>>64404950
>>64405246
Prolly same guy? I see what you´re saying but I like that style
>political message that Sorkin wanted to tackle that week
I think this has a bit to do with the time that the show was written in. With netflix every tv show has character development etc.

West wing episodes are often really good as self contained episodes.

I like that Sorkin doesn't hold anything back and that you get the total political discussion contained in one episode. Rhetoric set pieces practically. I find it sexy. It's like you're there hanging out while Sorkin and his buddies smoke crack and talk about politics at a high pace. But I could see that people would find it annoying.

>>64405348
Based Martin Sheen stealing a TV show from Rob Lowe
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.