[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just can't watch low budget scifi tried "the expanse"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: gangster1.jpg (65 KB, 336x450) Image search: [Google]
gangster1.jpg
65 KB, 336x450
I just can't watch low budget scifi

tried "the expanse" and although there were some cool moments like low gravity sex or gravity torture but HOLY SHIT the way it was shot hurt my eyes

when outside
>>unimaginative game like spaceships and shit

when inside
>>grey lighting on grey walls
>>shit angles, literally WHY

And oh my god when we first see the belt from the inside and its supposed to be this long trackingshot kinda feeling where you see the omgsomodern parts and then we follow a drone into the slums where theres talks of space drugs and a revolt or some shit with a preacher and I was thinking holy shit, this is literally the set from total recall, the one with arnie, when they hire a taxi on mars, even the fucking camera angle was the same and the already mentioned upper parts look like something rendered on ps 1

and motherfucker, they put like 10 trees in a TOTALLY STERILE, WHITE ENVIRONMENT

has anyone ever thought that this would look good? who is designing these shitty sets? I've seen the likes of this and when a scene is so sterile , you know it's gonna be a shis scifi

I had to skip every 5 minutes to be able to finish it. How can people watch shit like this? bad designs, the story I can't say much about, I'm sure it will have some ok moments but basically if I die without watching this I will be like "I'm ok with that,because that was boring and disgusting" and I will not even say the acting is bad, because it had the fucking breaking bad henchman guy in it, he couldn't save the scene so basically if I had to watch the whole season, I would have gauged my fucking eyes out.

1/10
>>
>>64341871
If low production quality is off putting to you how will you ever appreciate arthouse films

Autism, ADHD and plebeian baked to a one bait post.
>>
>>64341895
>arthouse
I like arthouse, really.
My problem is with motherfucking low budget scifi. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that 99% of it would make sufficent torturing devices. Because it's set in the future, because it's supposed to make you believe what you see and make you wander like 'whoa, that is amazing' like the speeders in star wars, but NO. With low budget its KILLING THE SOUL of any potential storytelling.
>>
oh and sorry, meant to give a 0/10 but I'm thinking mostly in a 1 to 10 scale, my mistake

so again 0/10 for the expanse for killing the child in me
>>
File: df.jpg (27 KB, 328x340) Image search: [Google]
df.jpg
27 KB, 328x340
CUNTS
>>
File: b5_01.jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
b5_01.jpg
23 KB, 400x300
I blame shows like Battlestar Galactica and Firefly for setting the new, lazy standard Science Fiction TV is still following, production wise.
>>
>>64342311
good point
>>
>>64342311

The writing and universe building saved the terrible over use of similar sets, in a lot of ways like Buffy/Angel

Where they had very little to work with
>>
File: nepal.jpg (52 KB, 592x454) Image search: [Google]
nepal.jpg
52 KB, 592x454
>>
>>64341871
>i can't watch scifi without constant action scenes and space battles
we get it, you're spoiled and autistic
>>
>>64341983
Low budget sci fi is perfectly possible, just like low budget war movies are possible. I think the problem is the film makers not properly guaging the limitations.

Primer manages time travel on a minute budget, and Monsters managed aliens on a small budget, because they knew what to focus on.
>>
>>64341871
The expanses problem is not budget, it's hipster fashion/vision of the future, terrible terrible colors, bad to average camera angles, mostly bad actors, and when there are good actors, like the detective guy they are given personalities and haircuts that are not natural to them and they just look and feel terrible and out of place. Also mostly bad/generic dialogue.
>>
>>64342653
who said anything about action scenes?

presenting a scene is not about whats happening but HOW its happening
>>
The quality of their cameras are like late 90s music video tier. I thought the same watching Killjoys. Really high contrast, lots of whites blowing out. Dark Matter didn't look so bad, though.
>>
File: 1417932021950.jpg (24 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1417932021950.jpg
24 KB, 240x320
>>64341871
Here's your reply.
>>
File: Lost Submarine.png (197 KB, 352x390) Image search: [Google]
Lost Submarine.png
197 KB, 352x390
>>64342766
Exactly. There's usually so much speed to television production, it's rare to see a show where thought has been put into is, often resulting in rushed and amateurish execution that could have been avoided or mended if there was more time and/or better planing.
That is why I think all high concept Science Fiction and Fantasy shows that don't have 90s Star Trek money should all follow a mini-series/Netflix like model where the entire season is planned out and written before production begins, is filmed and edited in its entirety before release with a single Showrunner or a team that works well together overseeing the entire thing from start to finish instead of the mishmash of people we often get.
>>
File: 1450215587039.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1450215587039.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
>>64343121
>That is why I think all high concept Science Fiction and Fantasy shows that don't have 90s Star Trek money should all follow a mini-series/Netflix like model where the entire season is planned out and written before production begins
I don't know if that'll help as far as the skill of the people making it is concerned, even Childhood's End had really shoddy camera work, and that was the most contained a show can be.
>>
shit hipster show but shit sets too
>>
>>64343250
>I don't know if that'll help as far as the skill of the people making it is concerned, even Childhood's End had really shoddy camera work
lel no it didn't.
>>
firefly is shit too but at least has goofd characters
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.