[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can they fix Rey in the next movie? as a character can she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: 084980306220.jpg (66 KB, 590x714) Image search: [Google]
084980306220.jpg
66 KB, 590x714
How can they fix Rey in the next movie?
as a character can she even be saved at all?
>>
They can have her struggling with the dark side (look at how she wails on Kylo), some kind of twist that she was a Knight of Wren, her parents were Knights of Ren but she doesn't get to redeem them like Luke. Basically anything would work right now, I think most people complaining about her being a mary sue simply are asking for her to fall on her ass once.
>>
cut off her hand
>>
As a character she's great. The only thing people are bitching about is that she's really good at things.
>>
>>63945970
>How can they fix Rey in the next movie?
Give her more portions
>>
>>63946451
>As a character she's great.

lel
>>
>>63946558
Explain what's wrong with her.
>>
>>63945970
If you need a second movie to explain atrocious character development then you already failed.
>>
>>63946451
>As a character she's great
There is exactly one decision she makes in the entire movie that propells the plot in anyway, or adds to her character, and that is when she decides no to sell BB-8.
Besides that, she does literally nothing, but react to the situation she's in, and try to do nothing.
The only reason she even ends up fighting the First Order, is because they capture her, and it becomes obvious that they will keep coming for her.

She is the Anti-Leia. Super powered, and pathetic.
Leia had no special qualifications, beyond that one time she sense Luke was in danger.
Yet she takes charge of situations, stands up to oppression, takes the innitative to fight the Empire, even if it means personally overseeing one of the most dangerous and important missions, she doesn't need force powers to resist torture, she refuses to break, and she stay by the Rebels through the worst of times, because it is what she believes in.

Rey gets thrown into shit, runs away, gets thrown into more shit, runs away, isn't left anywhere to run, fights back and then seeks out Luke and that's her character.

She's one of the weakest, most pathetic female characters I've ever seen, and no amount of irrational skills and experience are going to change that.

So to answer OP: Make her someone actually respectable. Someone who actually does something on her own accord to become a hero, instead of just some leaf that gets blown around by the plot.
>>
They don't.
She don't wanna be saved.
>>
>>63946337
>cut off her hand
That will make everyone resist the need to hold her hand. I mean, come on it's 2015. She doesn't need a man to hold her hand!
>>
>>63946743
So she's the weakest, most pathetic character because she can handle herself and is tough?
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>63946851
As a character? Yes.
Being powerful does not a character make.
How the character act, what their motivation is, how they fight to fulfil their goals? That is what makes a character.
Video Game characters can all handle themselves, and they are all tough.
Very few of them are remotely decent characters.
>>
>>63946825
>She gets her hand cut off
>It falls into shaft
>Near the end of the movie, Finn approaches her
>"I was bellow you when you fought... I..." *raises his hand, in which he's holding Rey's cut off hand* "I found this. Maybe they could fix-"
>"STOP HOLDING MY HAND!"
>>
>>63946615
1. Her instant ultracompetence in everything invalidates any possible challenge. After she beat the main villain twice without any training whatsoever, how can we except anything to more than mildly inconvenience her after training?

2. She does not have a character beyond stock heroic traits. Her moment of self-doubt is extremely brief and seems to be already over.

3. Everyone instantly likes her. Even Kylo Ren is fascinated by her. Compare to how the very same Han Solo initially treats Luke in ANH.

In short, she's a classic Mary Sue.

Answering to the OP, the only thing that can fix her is becoming the real villain.
>>
>hey girl use this lightsaber!
>nooooo I refuuuuse *runs away*

>later on, she uses that same lightsaber to defeat the boss without any hesitation
BRAVO JAR JAR ABRAMS
SUCH CHARACTER DEVELOP
>>
>>63946934
>>63947009
It's pretty clear that she'll be cut down in the next film by Kylo Ren (to what extent who knows) and then will have to redeem herself.
This is just a teaser film.
>>
>>63947125
Hey, >>63946934 and >>63946743 here.
How does that excuse anything I just said?
>>
File: athena cykes.png (85 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
athena cykes.png
85 KB, 400x240
The simple fix is that she was the one who slaughtered all of Luke's Padawans.

That way her powers become a problem. Npw Poe has to deal with Darth Sue flying around in her Millenium Falcon and Finn has to try and figure out how to 1v1 Christ, Jesus
>>
>>63947175
>how does the fact that her character arc isn't complete excuse the fact that I'm trying to pretend as if it is
>>
Rey needs to get knocked down a peg and Kylo Ren needs to go HAM next movie.
>>
>>63946337
I like it. She has to lose in the second movie.
>>
>>63947263
that's 100% what's implied in the movie and the cycle of movies
>>
>>63947255
Oh, excuse me.
I didn't realize that a character is supposed to be a complete wet sock up until the point when their "arc is complete"
Fuck, I was such a fool.
Why, I do think Luke's arc was pretty much done by the point his parents died then no?
After all, he decided to go after a princess he didn't know anything about, joined the rebellion, fought against impossible odds despite being an avarage joe all on his own, without having to be forced into it.
You know, he did stuff.
Clearly his arc had to be over, since only then can a character allow themselves to do things on their own.
>>
>>63945970
Impossible to fix, feminism dictates that a woman can't have ANY flaws or be bad at something, or the ultimate crime of the patriarchy, needed help from a MAN!

The best part is all the normies here trying to argue she is anything besides a mary sue on a level not even Anakin or Luke could achieve.

Feminists literally don't understand that a woman character can have flaws.
>>
>>63947454
>Parents
Meant to write aunt and uncle, but after reading such bullshit, it's difficult to give enough of a shit to type properly.
Seriously >>63947255 you sound like you haven't seen an actual movie or read a book in your life.
>>
File: 1444516783228.jpg (236 KB, 1280x1493) Image search: [Google]
1444516783228.jpg
236 KB, 1280x1493
By sucking the BBC :)
>>
>>63946743
>So to answer OP: Make her someone actually respectable.

See, this phrase made me think.

Doesn't JJ have a systematic aversion to people being respectable or admirable in any way? It was noticeable in the ST reboot too. In TFA the only person worthy of respect is Poe, who is pretty much a non-character. Returning characters from the OT are systematically dragged down into the mud, by reversing Han's character development and making Luke and Leia completely abandon their core heroic traits. The new cast are treated as perfect heroes, except that they are anything but, and their actual motives are unheroic, like clinging to one's childhood or getting pussy. Even villains don't have respectable traits that made Tarkin and Vader into effective antagonists.
>>
>>63946451
you should tell your dad to stop visiting you at night you are not 12 anymore.
>>
The second movie makes or breaks her

Either Rian Johnson goes full POETRY and has her lose to Kylo Ren and gets her hand cut off, or something interesting happens.

See, Star Wars is a rare fucking occurence - it's a guaranteed trilogy with a huge fucking budget. When viewing the trilogy as a three act story, it's OK for Rey to be a Mary Sue - for now.

But they have to fucking do something smart with it. Darth Revan type of twist is the best bet. If they just have her be generic hero then it's fucked.
>>
File: jkjfdksjf.jpg (608 KB, 1179x1628) Image search: [Google]
jkjfdksjf.jpg
608 KB, 1179x1628
>>63947936

Her powers come from the BBC, her determination to survive to suck and get fucked by that BBC make her stronger. Up until the she'd only had little white penis and was on the verge of depression till superior black cock came and gave her purpose.

It's also why Kylo Ren loses cause he hasn't realized his position of cuck yet and flounders trying to be a real man.
>>
File: I too like to live dangerously.jpg (161 KB, 1511x819) Image search: [Google]
I too like to live dangerously.jpg
161 KB, 1511x819
>>63948304
>that image
>>
File: black-stormtrooper.jpg (110 KB, 1164x654) Image search: [Google]
black-stormtrooper.jpg
110 KB, 1164x654
>>63948304
Man the BBC thing doesn't bother me anymore, poor Finn didn't get to do jackshit.

Remember when his gun locks into place and Rey has to save the day by doing a loop de loop with the Millennium Falcon?
>>
I think if they flesh out her backstory a bit better and show they she was trained as a Jedi from a young child but somehow lost her memories, people would be a lot more forgiving about eh mary-sue shit.
>>
>>63950559
Training and being the best at everything would still make her a mary sue, but just with a really dumb backstory.

Like what training program makes you the best at everything lmao.
>>
The only way to fix Rey is to fix the characters around her.

Rey as a character is undoubtedly a mary sue. Just show her failing in a serious, impacting way and or show the antagonists succeeding due to her failure. Have her completely and utterly beaten by something. Every good character has to have a scene like that, otherwise the audience keys in that this person is covered in plot armour, immediately making anything they do boring.
>>
>>63950559
>>63950636
Make her Revan

Make her powers have actually fucking downsides.

I don't see how YOU WERE A SUPER SPECIAL JEDI AT A YOUNG AGE BUT WE HID YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE THE CHOSEN ONE makes Rey more bearable

I do think YOU'RE A FUCKING PSYCHO BITCH YOU KILLED FIFTEEN PEOPLE IN A RAGE HOLY SHIT YOU MADE BEN SOLO GO EVIL BECAUSE OF HOW PSYCHO YOU ARE is a better development
>>
Give her some fucking flaws.
>>
>>63948983
It felt like they were competing to see who would be the main character, I kinda liked that
>>
>>63951099
And Finn lost the competition every fucking time

Poor bastard
>>
Rey gets cocky from all her success. This pride leads her to neglect her training while Kylo takes his very seriously. He crushes her at the end of 8 and only her father Luke sacrificing himself saves her life. In 9 she redeems herself with hard work.

Also, she no longer knows Wookie so R2 translates (she still knows droid).
>>
>>63947307

That's just the basic rules of trilogy story arcs. The first movie sets the stakes and the odds against the protagonist and by the end, sets a cautiously optimistic tone for the heroes, then the second movie reprises the villains as actual threats to be taken seriously, often completely undoing whatever progress was made in the first film. In the third film, with the odds more stacked against the heroes than ever before, they manage to pull off an unlikely upset that stops the baddies once and for all.
>>
i like how finn tries really hard despite not being competent (besides trying to run away that one time)

and rey reluctantly falls into her role despite being really competent
>>
>>63946772
don't save her
>>
>>63947936
>it's OK for Rey to be a Mary Sue - for now.

thank you
>>
>>63951075
>I do think YOU'RE A FUCKING PSYCHO BITCH YOU KILLED FIFTEEN PEOPLE IN A RAGE HOLY SHIT YOU MADE BEN SOLO GO EVIL BECAUSE OF HOW PSYCHO YOU ARE is a better development

>thinking that would ever happen
>>
File: 1448862265109.jpg (244 KB, 1679x1082) Image search: [Google]
1448862265109.jpg
244 KB, 1679x1082
>>63951360
>she no longer knows Wookie
>>
Make her a descendant of Mace Windu.
>>
File: 1450757928838.jpg (871 KB, 1874x1306) Image search: [Google]
1450757928838.jpg
871 KB, 1874x1306
>>63945970

Maybe kill her off and get someone else? She looks like a damn full grown baby. Creeps me out
>>
>>63946451

I see where you're coming from, but it's just way too much way too fast.

A Mary Sue is more of a character where it doesn't feel like they really need anyone else around, and well Rey didn't.
She could deliver the droid without Finn showing up.
She could pilot the Millenium Falcon if imperfectly, despite it being a 2 person craft.
She could McGuyver her way out of the First Order's base, and with her mind tricks, it wouldn't have taken long for her to get into a Tie Fighter and get the hell out.

In the entire movie, there's like two scenes where it looks like she isn't in control, and neither of those scenes are really threatening her life. (Getting captured and being captured).

If you set up the right series of events, maybe Luke could have looked this good too, but it's unlikely.

Besides, there's always the issue that if she's this freaking good at engineering and piloting, why is she still a scavanger?
Are there no engineers on Jakku? Couldn't she make more money fixing up the boss's ship? (The Millenium Falcon? The heap of garbage?)

It's impossible to believe that she's some down-on-her-luck scavanger, when she has skills that would make anyone else a top dog in their fields.

With Luke, at least he feels like an avarage farmboy outside of the few moments when he's using the force.
>>
Make her an amnesiac Darth Revan or something. If they wanna redo the themes of the OT, they can have her second movie revelation breakdown be over her dark history coming to light. Then she can redeem herself in the third movie.
>>
>>63945970
Kylo got pissed about "a girl" being with Finn and BB-8, I wanna know why. It seemed like he knew her, but he never brought it up during their fight.
>>
>>63947009
>defeats Ren twice
very annoying

I REALLY loved when the Storm Trooper threw that mind trick shit right back in her face. "Ill tighten those restraints resistant scum!" fucking perfect.
Then she got her mind trick to work, and the moment was ruined. It wouldve been perfect had she been told off by the trooper and that be the end of it.
>>
>>63945970
More scenes involving her feet / showing close up shots of her soles
>>
>>63952507
>why is she still a scavenger
good point, but you're still retarded
it was the wage gap
>>
>>63952671
He's a frustrated permavirgin, essentially /tv/ incarnate
>>
>>63952300
delete this
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.