[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you think about Mad Men's ending?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 1271x628) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 1271x628
What did you think about Mad Men's ending?
>>
>>63143095
It was shit, faggot.
>>
I drank a Pepsi out of spite for the disappointment.
>>
Brilliant
>>
File: Mad_Men_THE_KING_ORDERED_IT.jpg (115 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Mad_Men_THE_KING_ORDERED_IT.jpg
115 KB, 800x533
Petefags were right. They were always right.
>>
Out of the last few big shows to end it had the best ending. My only complaint was a real lack of Peggy/Don scenes in the last half season.
>>
File: oghJd.png (514 KB, 899x677) Image search: [Google]
oghJd.png
514 KB, 899x677
>>63143244
>Alison Brie will never be visibly aroused by seeing you punch a man
>>
>>63143095
It was fantastic, because it works on two levels. Either:

Don found peace in meditation and gave up advertising to live in a commune and created the "Buy the world a Coke" ad to channel his new age reformation into advertising.

Or

Don's journey to the US was an attempt to absorb the culture of America that he'd lost from being shuffled between agencies. He needed to reconnect and in that moment of meditation he truly understood how to sell corporate products to hippies. He literally bought and sold the counter-culture movement.
>>
File: 1234743212.jpg (456 KB, 656x732) Image search: [Google]
1234743212.jpg
456 KB, 656x732
>>63143380
the night it aired an anon explained how it was reiterating the entire theme of the show, juxtaposing don's enlightenment with a cheap ad. since it was so effective putting the audience in the mindset of an ad man everyone thinks the coke commercial was the whole point instead of recognizing he changed.
>>
>>63143095
i was sad because it was over, never has a show really made me feel like i was watching the past through a peephole.. when the show first aired i never watched it... i was 18 and didnt really buy the whole shtick.. but i didnt really know what it was about... finding out what i was missing years later made me feel like a fool. fucking amazing and anyone who says otherwise is either a troll/ contrarian/ plebeian

as for the final episode the part that stuck with me the most is the group scene where the man talks about how he feels isolated in his life and unappreciated.
>>
File: 1446510216577.jpg (59 KB, 449x688) Image search: [Google]
1446510216577.jpg
59 KB, 449x688
>>63143095
I had mixed feelings at the time, but in hindsight it was fucking great and could have been so, so much worse

I really miss this show goddam
>>
>>63143499
Do you have a screencap?
>>
File: 3IWyQ9A.jpg (59 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
3IWyQ9A.jpg
59 KB, 720x720
>>63143095
10/10
>>
>>63143095
>>63144950

happy Don is best Don
>>
>>63143095

I don't get it. Were they implying that he came up with the Coca Cola ad?
>>
>>63143095
>Mad Men's ending
now that's a good news
>>
>>63143095
Laughed my fucking ass off and screamed "Bravo Weiner" at the top of my lungs.
>>
Last episode was jarringly shit compared to the unblemished quality of the rest of the series. That Peggy-Stan ending made me want to vomit in how contrived and incestuous it was.
>>
>>63145207
yea he found peace and went back to work, got his hands on a product hes been trying too make ads for since the begining of the show and made a revolutionary commercial that changed the way we sell products... basicly it was a very happy ending (for the most part)
>>
>>63143095
I was happy for Don.
>>
I liked it when Weiner came out and BTFO of cynical fucks who said Don never truly changed and just exploited the hippie shit

Then they started crying about muh death of the author
>>
>he was a dreamy hippie dreaming of being an alpha ad man all along
That's dexter-tier ending.
>>
It was okay. I wasn't heavily disappointed by it or greatly impressed.
>>
It's excellent. But the best episode of 7B is Time & Life.

A hearty kek to all the fedora-tier detractors in this thread
>>
>>63145460
wtf? this was your interpretation? are you retarded? this HAS to be bait
>>
File: Lane_Pryce.jpg (36 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
Lane_Pryce.jpg
36 KB, 319x319
Since Bert got to appear as a ghost, how come Lane didn't appear in a Don's dream/hallucination sequence?
>>
>>63145551
cuz he cant sing nor dance duuuuh
>>
don never grew or changed through the series, it fits him.

betty was sad as fuck.
>>
>>63145515
I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, I admit. The ending was confusing.
>>
>>63145591
don did change but whatever
i feel like betty getting cancer was fan service because everyone hated her.... shes really the one who never changed
>>
>>63145638
welp i gotta agree with you on that... your whole "don was a hippy daydreaming the whole series" couldnt be more wrong
>>
>>63145640
I don't really understand why people hated her so much but excused Don for the stuff he did

It was made explicit that both of them had pretty terrible role models growing up
>>
>>63145640
>don did change
how do you think? i didn't catch that. i felt like he went through all these experiences, relations, and just returned to how he was in s1. he went back into the beast with the coke ad.

>>63145640
yeah she was annoying but fuck it was still soulcrushing to see her finally find something she wants to do independently, become a real person and then just fucking dies
>>
>>63145704
He went back into ads, but he did it knowing that he was an ad man and being okay with it, instead of being a depressed wreck.
>>
>>63145696
well she was immature and a giant bitch while don was just a slutty alcoholic... >>63145704
he finally found peace and possibly stopped his old ways (got sober and stopped womanizing). i feel like he found peace with all the people hes lost and the lies hes told, realized that he has some people around to make him want to make things better (for everybody)
as for better yea youre right it was really sad... i was just starting to like her but i guess that was the point
>>
>>63145819
>well she was immature and a giant bitch

like her father, brother and strict mother

> while don was just a slutty alcoholic

like the hookers he lived with

when you think of it like that I just feel sorry for the two of them rather than hating them
>>
>>63145394

So then he really didn't change at all?
>>
>>63145446

I can't see how he changed, myself.
>>
>>63145792

Was being an ad man something he struggled with throughout the show?
>>
>>63145941
well he was never exactly happy
>>
>>63145896
see >he finally found peace and possibly stopped his old ways (got sober and stopped womanizing). i feel like he found peace with all the people hes lost and the lies hes told, realized that he has some people around to make him want to make things better (for everybody)
he had an identity crisis, went to rehab and got clean.. took therapy and did meditation. he finally accepted himself as a father, friend and ad man instead of the inner turmoil and insecurity of not knowing who he was.
>>
>>63146008
>got sober and stopped womanizing

that's a pretty big assumption. he tried to stop being a piece of shit several times in the series and he always failed.
>>
>>63146008

>possibly

There was nothing really to show that he stopped drinking or womanizing, was there? Didn't he end up in Cali due to his womanizing?

Did he ever accept that he wan't Don Draper but was born of poor white trash and was really Dick Whitman?

He didn't change, nigger.
>>
I thought it was pretty okay.
It sort of went out with a fizzle rather than a bang but it could have been much worse. I'd have liked to see a character montage seeing how much all the characters have changed throughout the show, a la The Wire.
All in all mad men was amazing though.
>>
>>63146066
alright the reason i say hes changed by the end is because if he did in fact make the coke ad then it means this
>he probably wrote the hook if not all the lyrics to the coke ad song
>the ad features a word that makes him so uncomfortable he hardly says it to his kids
hes was always putting up walls and pushing people away since the begining but in the end hes literally singing another tune singing
I'd like to buy the world a home
And furnish it with love...
And I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
>>63146177
wow dude your arguement is so strong you had to call me a nigger hah
>>
>>63146177
seriously kill yourself
>>
>>63143095
Finished the entire series recently and I loved it. Though I tracked down the thread from when the finale was airing and it turns out /tv/ is pleb as fuck
http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/56541163
>>
>>63146245
>>63146227

Sweet rebuttals.
>>
C O K E
O
K
E
>>
>>63146317
>http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/56541163
just scrolling through this made me want to off myself
>>
>>63146327
yes i know, im the big guy
>>
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/18/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-mad-men-finale-and-the-mantra-of-don-draper
>>
>>63146537
>film-crit-hulk
Can't read his shit without getting eye cancer.
>>
Last two seasons were pretty bad compared to the first five.

>Betty gets lung cancer
>Peggy and Stan
>Peggy's poorly delivered Burger Chef pitch
>Don's breakdown in the Hershey meeting
>show started pandering to its audience: Joan asks Peggy to go into business with her, Don and Betty suddenly start getting along again, Pete and Trudy get back together

It should have ended with all of them miserable. Weiner lost his nerve, wanted to wrap things up way too neatly.
>>
>>63146596
SPOILERS YOU ASSHOLE SPOILERS
>>
>>63146596
It should have ended with Pete shooting up the office
>>
>>63146587
YOU CAN, YOUR LAZY SELF IS JUST MAKING EXCUSES
>>
>>63146587
yea its really fucking hard to take him seriously when he keeps referring himself as the hulk in third person so i dont and i didnt
>>
>>63145446
Awww
I liked that idea that he just doubled down
Oh well
>>
I wanted to see Don around the modern era, but otherwise I liked it. I too am the man in the refrigerator.
>>
>>63146783
>peggy much older in the early 90s
>suzy works for her learning everything she knows
MAD WOMEN
>>
>>63146587
>>63146711
I've read his screenwriting "book", it was a very good read. And english is not even my native language. Pussies
>>
File: Crane.jpg (112 KB, 590x375) Image search: [Google]
Crane.jpg
112 KB, 590x375
>tfw Harry didn't get an ending
>>
>>63146841
good4u anon...... youre still a dumbass tho
>>
bad desu
>>
>>63146859
who cares he was kind of a tool
>>
>>63146859
You get a pretty picture of what his life has come to

>desperately trying to latch onto old work buddies because he's so ronery
>probably exploiting young actresses all day erryday like he tried to with Megan
>>
I'm glad it avoided most of the shitty fan service that anchored the Breaking Bad ending. Besides Peggy/Stan (which was believable anyway) it did its own thing.
>>
>>63146965
>exploiting young actresses all day erryday like he tried to with Megan
being a total losery creep that works for tv was his ending
>>
>>63143244
Pete is a top tier character and you all know it
>>
>>63143244
>tfw Pete's ancestor was Walder Frey
>>
File: minionbong.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
minionbong.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>63143095

Peggy write Coke ad.
>>
>>63147041
I didn't really see the end of Breaking Bad as fan service, what do you mean?
>>
>>63147184
Badger and Skinny Pete being 'lol so funny' with the laser pointers, Walt having everything going his way with the epic machine gun, just to name a couple.
>>
File: ginsberg6202.jpg (218 KB, 620x416) Image search: [Google]
ginsberg6202.jpg
218 KB, 620x416
What was the point of this character?
>>
>>63147139
It wasn't Peggy
>>
>>63147212
He was the only one that could really rival Don creatively, which made Don mad jelly

unfortunately he had to be written out early because the actor got a part in Silicon Valley
>>
>>63147244
He actually got the co-lead in A to Z.
>>
>>63147210
I can see what you mean with the Badger and Skinny Pete; however Walt with the machine gun didn't even feel like fan service, it just felt shitty.
>>
>>63147212
idk he went coo coo bananas tho... good question... anybody got an insightful answer?
>>
File: mad-menfridge.jpg (99 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mad-menfridge.jpg
99 KB, 640x427
>>63147216

sorry bro, Peggy wrote Coke ad

now go back in refrigerator
>>
>>63147264
He was introduced to rival Don, but then he was replaced by Ted and writers forgot about him.
>>
File: sddfsdfasf.png (261 KB, 1052x512) Image search: [Google]
sddfsdfasf.png
261 KB, 1052x512
>people in this thread thinking it was a happy ending and that Don found "peace" with himself

The ending was a statement about the entire point of the series revolving around the tragedy of the endless hopeless threadmill of desire that the advertisement industry cultivated at the dawn of the consumerist age which the liberal counterculture of the 60s which tried to resist against was eventually consumed by it.

The series was about a hidden cultural war where the bad guys won.
>>
>>63147360
ah tru tru
>>63147340
LIES
that photo from that scene... i liked that monologue that man gave
>>
>>63147371
You're mostly right but it wasn't that bleak.
The cycle of neverending temporary satisfaction and creation of new desires isn't necessarily a bad thing, Don understood and accepted it and even the other characters are happy, for the moment, until the cycle resumes.
>>
>>63147371
>idiots only desire shit because of dumb advertisements

You're a fool.
>>
>>63147340
I'm pretty sure both Weiner and Hamm confirmed it was Don
>>
>>63147608
I never implied that, I assert desire is a fundamental part of the way we think, the importance is that it was never manipulated on the scale it is today by a centralized source until the mid-twentieth century.
>>
>>63147600
>>63147600
>The cycle of neverending temporary satisfaction and creation of new desires isn't necessarily a bad thing

It is when it is manipulated in order for people to give money to coca-cola
>>
>>63147780
It's not really manipulated.
Advertising just panders to what the cultural zeitgeist of a given era is.
That's exactly what Don does it the Coke ad. Alienation and death of the american dream weren't manufactured.
It's more a thing about human nature than a capitalist conspiracy.
>>
>>63145941
Yeah it made him feel soulless. Remember that episode where he gets robbed by that couple and his dad gives him shit about not having a real job
>>
It was good. I wish I hadn't seen all the predictions that they'd use the Coke ad for the ending.
>>
>>63147947
It is manipulation regardless of whether Capitalists are individually conscious of it, being that its not simply something working class people choose to view or create, they are subjected to them and have no choice in their creation, they are aimed not towards their satisfaction but only for pure profit.
>>
>>63146864
no doubt about that
>>
File: madmen finale.png (135 KB, 982x584) Image search: [Google]
madmen finale.png
135 KB, 982x584
>>63144484
i gotchu senpai
>>
>>63148113
Working class people, just like every other individual, contribuite to create the enviroment that generates determinate needs that advertising then panders to.
You seem too focused on comdemning capitalism, when the show never took a stance like that. It would have been cheap and undermined the significance of the whole thing.
>>
>>63147371
Easily the shittest analysis I've ever read on /tv/
>>
>>63148306
Of course they are which was the aim of the counter-culture movements of the 60s such as the cult in the end, to try on the ground to make a conscious effort to defy the central hegemonic culture, in the end though the Capitalists simply incorporated their ideals against them.
>>
>>63148478
The counterculture wasn't a main focus either.
The guy that gives Don the idea for the Coke ad at the end has obviously little to do with the counterculture. His was a shared sentiment in the whole nation back then, in the whole western world even.
>>
>>63148243
i like this post but the last few sentences seem like kind of a non-sequitur unless there's something i'm missing
>>
>>63148056

No I've never seen any episodes. But I might pick it up after reading this thread.
>>
>>63147371
yeah pretty much

don took advantage of the 60's counter culture and put it in an ad

for those that still don't get it: DON MADE THE COCA COLA AD and went back to being the real person he always was. no, not dick. DON. he was and always will be DON. even the season 5 ending was like that

if they ended it after season 5 i'd be ok with it too
>>
>it's a Jon Hamm covering his bulge episode
>>
Mad Men went to shit after season 4
>>
>>63150826
SEASON IS GOAT
>>
Don is happy again , go's back (like he always does) and makes the most famous/influential ad of all time

i dont see how you can get anything out of it other then that
>>
>>63143278
That phone call scene was great though.
>>
>everyone forgetting the best quote: happiness is the moment before you want more happiness

Something like that
>>
>>63154423
>I don't think you should be alone right now
>I'm in a crowd
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.