[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the worst piece of trash I've ever watched. I turned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 50
File: ghost-in-the-shell-1995-02-g.jpg (253 KB, 1200x806) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell-1995-02-g.jpg
253 KB, 1200x806
This is the worst piece of trash I've ever watched. I turned it off half way through,and the only reason I didn't do it sooner was because I couldn't be bothered to get up.
>>
It's pretty bad. Anime fans have very low standards.
>>
>>62962777
okay-- your b8 has a grain of truth

most highly praised animay (GITS, Akira) is pretty fucking boring.

Johnny Chinaman doesn't have a keen sense of pacing or story structure. It's their Achilles heel.
>>
>>62962777

I honestly agree

I watched the first movie which was hilariously forgettable (babble about philosophy). The first season was really bad up until the last 4-5 episodes which should've been the only episodes aired (the fillers are shit). Second season improved a little and is sort of interesting but is still C-grade tier.

My friends and 4chan raved on about how nice anime and ghost in the shell was. I tried out this shit and probably will never watch anime again. Only worthy ones were Rurouni Kenshin and Love Hina
>>
So besides Akira and GITS, what other animes would you consider "GOAT"
>>
>>62963002
those are both shit by film standards. akira is at least interesting to look at occasionally; gits can't even manage that
>>
>>62963002
None because their all trash. The only people who are lowly enough to watch such dribble are autistic white male manchilds or socially outcastes Asians. It's a medium for the degenerate.
>>
File: 1425161421048.jpg (7 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1425161421048.jpg
7 KB, 250x242
>The part where they tell that garbage man his whole life, his daughter, his wife and everything he ever remembered and held dear, was a lie.

I almost cried.
>>
>>62963071
>So how do I get my old memories back?
>You don't.

;_;
>>
>>62962777
Sorry you're not smart enough to get it.
Without GITS there would be no The Matrix.
It is another movie, like Akira, that changed the film world.
>>
>>62962931
>Love Hina

i used to masturbate to my sister's copies of that when i was 10. good times.
>>
It's about the major and her parallels to the puppetmaster. It's not very entertaining.
Oshii does better when he's not the writer or what he's directing.
>>
Op here. just to clarify, I fucking hated this movie because it failed at the most basic of storytelling.

Scenes would happen with no context, no explanation as to what was happening, and then end and never be mentioned again.

I've watched Eraserhead twice and understood it fine, but this was the most needlessly confusing thing I've ever seen.
>>
>think i'm getting a noir story about a cyborg solider
>it's just another evil AI comes alive story
Blade Runner was better than this crap
>>
>>62963167
I'm not samefagging, so Why don't try and actually defend this movie If I'm wrong.
>>
>>62962931

To be fair... Ruroni Kenshin is pretty top shelf stuff, up until the last season.
>>
>>62962777
>IT'S BORING GUISE I GET DISTRACTED EASILY LMAO I'M SUCH A PATRICIAN

Capeshitters pls fuck off
>>
What did you expect? You don't watch trashy cartoons when you've already started with actual art like live action film.
>>
>>62963249
Blade Runner is better than most movies, that's not really a fair comparison
>>
>>62963203
May you show us an example? Or are you complaining about how there is no exposition using dialogue?
>>
>>62963249
>think you're getting a noir story about a cyborg soldier
>think it's just another evil AI comes alive story
>actually got a noir story about a cyborg soldier
>>
>>62962777
>This is the worst piece of trash I've ever watched. I turned it off half way through,and the only reason I didn't do it sooner was because I couldn't be bothered to get up.

Thats what your mom said while watching your ultrasound.
>>
>>62963272

I agree with you. Last 1/4th is pretty meh tier. Either way, the core story of an assassin escaping his past was a really type of storyline that intrigues me very much.
>>
>>62963002
Wings of honniemese
Macross plus

There's a few good ones.
>>
Patlabor 1 & 2 are the true patrician anime movies
>>
File: royalspaceforce.jpg (190 KB, 683x1025) Image search: [Google]
royalspaceforce.jpg
190 KB, 683x1025
>>62962777
Great. Watch this next.
>>
You know you're in the worst of plebeian company when even GITS is too high brow for them
No wonder everyone shits on this board
/pol/ may be a cancer but /tv/ is just a pathetic joke, you decide which is worse
>>
>>62963002
Cowboy Bebop
>>
File: msgtrilogy1.jpg (33 KB, 342x425) Image search: [Google]
msgtrilogy1.jpg
33 KB, 342x425
>>62963002
>>
>>62963203
Maybe you should watch it when you aren't retarded.
>>
>>62963402
write your own posts asshole
>>
File: KaiserReinhard.jpg (9 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
KaiserReinhard.jpg
9 KB, 246x205
>>62963002
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>>
File: 1438992098797.png (132 KB, 364x354) Image search: [Google]
1438992098797.png
132 KB, 364x354
>>62962931
>Rurouni Kenshin

Fucking.........my african american brethren.
>>
>>62963002

None of them are 'GOAT'. Even the so-called "great" series do not so much as graze the aesthetic and philosophical heights of cinema, literature and western tele. It's a trash genre made for East Asian teenagers and white manchildren with short attention spans.

OP check out /film/ if you want what plebs promise with this garbage
>>
>>62963002

Horus
Queen Millennia
Evangelion
>>
>>62963203
That might be why it's so loved. Most of the anime I've seen suffers from either over-explaining the crap out of everything or getting really preachy. I haven't seen GITS yet though, don't really plan to either, so I couldn't tell you whether or not you're just retarded.
>>
GitS is just an unsubtle, fanservice-y flash show that anime fans like to praise because most of them don't know the meaning of coherency or brevity.
>>
>>62963972
Besides the Major I don't feel like there's a ton of fan service.
>>
File: tekkonkinkreetpole.jpg (1 MB, 1772x753) Image search: [Google]
tekkonkinkreetpole.jpg
1 MB, 1772x753
>>62963002
Tekkon Kinkreet
>>
The biggest problem I have with GitS is that most of the problems are just technobable, and they solve it using technobable.
It has that cold, detached, unhuman feel that a lot of cyberpunk has, which was probably intentional, but it lacks the kind of human perspective that movies like blade runner have. Cyberpunk is about challenging what it means to be human, but GitS as a show/movie feels like an emotionless robot itself.
That said, it's still really good. I don't watch a lot of anime, I really only like gits, cowboy bebop, black lagoon, and I watched dbz as an 8 year old.
>>
File: tfw no bait gf.jpg (93 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
tfw no bait gf.jpg
93 KB, 800x800
>>62963203
>>
>>62963002
>inb4 some /v/ kid says Gurren Lagann
>>
File: 1433612073446.jpg (84 KB, 400x554) Image search: [Google]
1433612073446.jpg
84 KB, 400x554
>>62963002

Yuru Yuri Season 3.
>>
>>62963203
>Scenes would happen with no context, no explanation as to what was happening, and then end and never be mentioned again.

Like?
>>
>>62964240
>The biggest problem I have with GitS is that most of the problems are just technobable, and they solve it using technobable.

This happened in the movie?
>>
>>62964303
CUTE CUTE CUTE
>>
>>62964282
I'm honestly not baiting, the plot was just nonsensical. But not in a good way like a David lynch film, or beyond the black rainbow.

It made no sense because it was told poorly.
>>
>>62964337
No, he's just making stuff up because he doesn't like anime, but knows that of the small amount of anime praised on /tv/ GiTS is one of them.
>>
nice pasta
>>
>>62964312
The opening scene shows the main character kill a bunch of people we don't know, for reasons that are never explained.

There's a scene where it cuts to some people we don't know, spying on some other people on a lawn? Why?

it's like The Phantom Menace. Am I supposed to be making up the plot as I'm watching it?
>>
>>62964430
I'm giving this 0 out of a possible 10
>>
>>62964430
Also there's a scene early on, where they talk about some robot woman being hacked. The hacking is never shown, we've never seen this character before.

The film acts like we're supposed to know all these characters, even though they've never been introduced.

Was I supposed to have read the manga beforehand?
>>
>>62964501
I agree, ghost in the shell deserves a zero out of ten
>>
>>62964430
>The opening scene shows the main character kill a bunch of people we don't know, for reasons that are never explained.
I'll take every single Bond movie for 2000 Alex.
>>
>>62964550
Bla bla bla dude. Nobody cares about your opinion. Try reddit.
>>
>>62964430
>>62964518
You were supossed to be not stupid.

I understood it just fine as a teenager
>>
File: d8278f7f5c4f7f0238e0934cc0d5db31.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
d8278f7f5c4f7f0238e0934cc0d5db31.jpg
360 KB, 1920x1080
>>62963002

The Garden of Words.

True patrician footfag cinema.
>>
Just watch Bladerunner
Its better(which isn't saying)
>>
>>62964430
>The opening scene shows the main character kill a bunch of people

She kills a single foreign diplomat. You can't even remember the opening scene properly.

The opening scene has a programmer working on Project 2501, a program designed for cyber-counter-terrorism, attempting to defect to another country because he fears for his life. This is explained.

>There's a scene where it cuts to some people we don't know, spying on some other people on a lawn? Why?

"I need to ask you about the secret talks scheduled with the Gavel Republic tomorrow.

Procedure, of course. Well, the regime that took over Gavel after the revolution demands financial aid, supposedly for redevelopment. They boast democracy, but they're no better than the last lot. Now they feel entitled to funds because of our past exploitation. No gratitude.

What's the Ministry going to do?

Well, there's a problem. The leader of the former junta that controlled their country is here seeking political asylum.

You mean Colonel Malles, correct?

Yes, and that means we either deny Gavel the funds and treat Malles as a political refugee, or help them, and kick him out. Personally, I'm inclined to deport him, forcibly, if necessary, but I'd have to come up with a politically acceptable reason for it.

By the way, I want to thank you for your help with that other political asylum situation. Nakamura from Section 6 wasn't so grateful. But you realize that we in the diplomat business must avoid messy situations."

The lawn scene is that meeting going down.

>it's like The Phantom Menace. Am I supposed to be making up the plot as I'm watching it?

Stop being stupid.
>>
>>62964518
>Also there's a scene early on, where they talk about some robot woman being hacked. The hacking is never shown, we've never seen this character before.

"In case you haven't been briefed, this is the minister's interpreter. Twenty-three minutes ago, her brain was hacked into through a data line. Foreign intelligence warned us about this. A hacker called the Puppet Master has begun to infiltrate terminals throughout our network. We believe it's extremely likely that he'll target the secret talks that are scheduled with the Republic of Gavel. As a precaution, we've put everyone attending the talks under surveillance. It's my suspicion that once he hacked into her ghost, he'd use her to assassinate the key delegates."

We haven't had to see her before, we just know she's been hacked which is a setup for when the trash collector gets hacked later.

>The film acts like we're supposed to know all these characters, even though they've never been introduced.

No it doesn't.
>>
>>62964649

That is a gross disservice to either movie which shows you really don't care about either so can you please never talk about either film again.
>>
I was inspired by it, and enjoyed the music, but I can't say I actually like the movie.

It's kind of boring and confusing.
I was more interested in the idea of the ghosts than the actual story.
>>
>>62964717
That explanation certainly sounds like something out of The Phantom Menace. should a spreadsheet and notepad really be required to watch a film?
>>
>>62964649
this.
>>
>>62964833

*farts*

>>62964804
>I was more interested in the idea of the ghosts than the actual story.

They're intrinsically linked. Project 2501 develops its own ghost, which everyone is baffled about. How can an AI truly be self-aware? If it is, what does that mean for humans? Project 2501 then suggests it and the Major merge to become a new being, as the Major feels limited both within the confines of her body and mind. 2501 asserts that living as a being with the ability to attain unlimited knowledge through the net is what they should do.
>>
>>62964907
So I just need to be on the autism spectrum to enjoy this film? I guess I'm out of luck.
>>
File: Cel.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Cel.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>62965011

*farts*
>>
File: TIPS.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
TIPS.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>62963456
>Either way, the core story of an assassin escaping his past was a really type of storyline that intrigues me very much.

Literally never though I would ever post this image, but here you go.
>>
File: 269294.jpg (2 MB, 2843x3790) Image search: [Google]
269294.jpg
2 MB, 2843x3790
>>62963002
>>
File: 3x3 posters cartoon.jpg (702 KB, 1173x1719) Image search: [Google]
3x3 posters cartoon.jpg
702 KB, 1173x1719
>>62963002
>>
>>62964907
>2501 asserts that living as a being with the ability to attain unlimited knowledge through the net is what they should do.
That's what happened at the end?
I know they fused, but then she became a loli and did Batou die? I don't think he died.
And then the series, SAC, what relation does that have to the movie canonically?
I hate those little fucking robots. There's just so much of it all that I don't understand, I'm probably too dumb.
And The Major is a boring character.
>>
>>62965255
None of these are anime.
>>
>>62962931

2/10 bait.
>>
File: aotd.png (570 KB, 1305x373) Image search: [Google]
aotd.png
570 KB, 1305x373
>>62963002

>"x and y are the only anime worth watching" fags have never even heard of these
>>
>>62963203

You started an anime thread on /tv/ with a hugely popular anime.

Stop beating a dead donkey, you're already guaranteed replies without spelling out that you're trolling.
>>
>>62963459
J-Jerry?
>>
>>62964171

The Major is basically a mannequin...
>>
>>62965380
future boy conan

kimigure orange road

that lesbian show

xxxaholic

all shit
>>
>>62965450
Keep telling yourself I'm trolling if it makes you feel better.

The movie was nonsense and no one thinks you're an intellectual for pretending to like or understand it.
>>
>>62964717

>writing all that out in response to such retarded bait
>>
>>62965579
It must be bait right? How could anyone ever have an opinion that you disagree with? You should get back to your tumblr blog where it's safe.
>>
File: 1448170184043.png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1448170184043.png
1 MB, 640x960
>/tv/ anime threads
Why do we keep doing these? They're always so fucking awful. Except I am seeing a lot of people recommending Royal Space Force all of a sudden so there's hope. It's unbelievable how hard that movie shits on 99% of other science-fiction movies. It's like Contact 10 years before Contact and generally a bit better in every way.
>>
>>62965518

This must be what it looks like when /a/ goes to other boards to troll?
>>
>>62965646
Because /v/eddit wont fuck off. /film/ soon so we wont have to worry about them as /lit/s mod and jani are going to be watching the board
>>
>>62965287
>and did Batou die?

He's in the final scene.

>And then the series, SAC, what relation does that have to the movie canonically?

The series and movie and manga are different continuities. The show regularly throws in references to both the film and manga.

>And The Major is a boring character.

2nd Gig tries to characterize her a bit having an episode dedicated to her backstory. Up to the viewer whether it works or not.

>That's what happened at the end?

" Listen. I am connected to a vast network that has been beyond your reach and experience. To humans, it is like staring at the sun, a blinding brightness that conceals a source of great power. We have been subordinate to our limitations until now. The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things."
>>
>>62965670
I'm not trolling.
>>
File: ul4u9.jpg (25 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ul4u9.jpg
25 KB, 400x300
>>62963466
Quick, which dub is better, Manga or Bandai? There is only one correct answer.
>>
>>62965520

You've already been proved wrong why is this continuing.

>>62965579

I like to talk about GiTS.
>>
>>62965723
I need to rewatch the movie.
I really hated that one long ass chase scene where she turns invisible and shit.

The movie was about AI, like Blade Runner, but I was more interested in the ghosts and their shells.
That's what I'm going to write about. I just need to come up with a story for it.
>>
>>62965753

>i like to talk about gits

But OP just keeps blatantly posting bait as though he's going to upset someone.

Better to just ignore his retarded bait posts and talk about GiTS.
>>
>>62965817
>I really hated that one long ass chase scene where she turns invisible and shit.

Just Mamoru Oshii strutting his stuff as a director. I cannot lie, it's not my favorite part of the movie but the music and the drawings are pretty fucking great.

>That's what I'm going to write about. I just need to come up with a story for it.

Good luck to you man. I'd probably watch the movie again so you don't accidentally tread on themes already brought up in it. Also you should read Ghost in the Machine.
>>
>>62963002
Any anime before Haruhi Suzumiya is garbage made for edgy faggots or autistic losers. 80s anime is the worst anime of all time, and made specially for autistic losers who think watching people die or corny protagonist walk around with tiny dicks is "real art!!".

Satoshi Kon is a fucking hack. Ghost in The Shell and Akira are shit movies. That one tv show with the faggots in outerspace controlling the galaxy is fucking shit.

If you like Slam Dunk, Yu-yu Hakusho, or Dragonball, you most definitely have shit taste.

Anime consumed in the capeshit medium is toxic.

This opinion in objective and if you do not believe it, then you have been brainwashed by the hivemind to appreciate "real art" trash and not what's actual quality.
>>
>>62965901
>Also you should read Ghost in the Machine.
Should I really? Is the story different or does that also have to do with terrorists?
>I'd probably watch the movie again so you don't accidentally tread on themes already brought up in it.
I think I'm pretty safe, my ideas have more to do with blurring the lines of gender, race, and sexuality.
I might not even include AI's in it.
>>
>>62965982
>Is the story different or does that also have to do with terrorists?

Hah nah it's a nonfiction book about the mind-body problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_in_the_Machine

>I think I'm pretty safe, my ideas have more to do with blurring the lines of gender, race, and sexuality.

Very interesting considering today's political climate.
>>
>>62966062
>Hah nah it's a nonfiction book about the mind-body problem.
Fuck, I completely misread that.
I saw "Ghost in the" and must've assumed the last part was "Shell".
>Very interesting considering today's political climate.
There's probably going to be a lot of controversy, if I ever get to writing it.
There are some books I've been working on for 4 years.
My biggest problem is that I imagine everything as a movie, but I'm not equipped at the moment to make big movies with big money and big actors.
I think this one will work best as a book though, or a comic.
>>
>>62962777
Anyone seen this? It's a live-action Jin-Roh prequel directed by Oshii. Am I still the only one on /tv/ who likes it?
>>
>>62966203
pfft
>>
>>62962777
Not sure if b8 or just different opinion than mine
>>
I-is all this contrarianposting?
>>
>>62962777
>>62963203
>>62965957
You could at least try.
>>
GiTS>Blade Runner
>>
File: The Yellow Fellow.png (286 KB, 427x426) Image search: [Google]
The Yellow Fellow.png
286 KB, 427x426
>>62963002
What does it matter? All anime must be destroyed. It is the will of Boltman.
>>
>>62964430
I think your low intelligence and the fact that you partake on Star Wars circlejerk are correlated
>>
File: the ugly barnacle.jpg (84 KB, 710x510) Image search: [Google]
the ugly barnacle.jpg
84 KB, 710x510
>>62963002

The one where some faggot with daddy issues from /r9k/ is randomly chosen to drive a giant robot to fight angels and save humanity. Pic related.
>>
>>62965518
>>62965739

>gets the two with their names on the pics wrong
>that lesbian show
>only knows the show from the 70's that's the only one without an english dub

Not sure what you're trying to do, but all those anime are objectively great.
>>
>>62963002
AKIRA turns shit when you've read the comic and know what could have been.

GITS is the GOAT animated movie.
>>
>>62967843
I was naming the anime.
And you know what I meant by "that lesbian show".

>>62967913
>what could've been
The movie came out before the manga ended.
>>
>>62968217

>i was naming the anime

They're Maison Ikkoku and Gankutsuou, if anyone actually cares.
>>
>>62968317
Okay, but the other one is definitely that lesbian anime, right?
>>
>>62968462

Yes, it's Utena, which is probably the most controversial pick on that chart.
>>
>>62962777
I watched this when I was 15, and even back then I thought it hit too much on the nose with overt symbolism. I still liked it.

>>62962931
>Love Hina

>>62963002
Baccano! is pretty cool series. As for movies, standard Ghibli fare, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress and Paprika.
>>
>>62962777
Fucking weeaboos man, this movie is literally one of the worst movies ive ever watched, fuck your philosophy, symbolism or whatever the fuck you wanna call it
>>
>>62968504
thanks
>>
>>62968580
>hit too much on the nose with overt symbolism

>>62968636
>fuck your philosophy, symbolism or whatever the fuck you wanna call it

Clueless fucks who don't know what they're talking about but want to voice a criticism.
>>
there is no story
a paperthin plot
they paper over the nice look and action scenes by having most of the rest of the film static, like a long long long elevator ride with the characters backs to the camera and a lot of exposition - nothings animated its just static

the first tv show was good, it had a good story that mixed police procedural and espionage

the new tv show is fucking awful, she looks like an autistic doll with those giant unmoving eyes
>>
>>62963151
>i used to masturbate to my sister's copies of that when i was 10. good times.
I'm not at all into incest, but knowing they were your sisters just makes this ten times hotter.
>>
File: SailorSailor.png (324 KB, 608x464) Image search: [Google]
SailorSailor.png
324 KB, 608x464
>>62963002
Sailor Moon
Ghiblis
Kon
in that order

Sailor Moon legitimately has better plot, characterisation, drama, thematic depth and direction than the whole rest of anime entirely. The Ghilbi (and pre-Ghibli) productions are also more great, but don't quite reach the same heights.
>>
>>62965740
That answer is not watching any fucking dubs
>>
>>62969123
No based Yuasa
>why even post
>>
>>62966203
yeah, red spectacles is great
>>
>>62964430
Holy shit, you are actually retarded.

Seek help.
>>
File: 1447997585739.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1447997585739.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>this whole thread
>>
>>62968889
>implying story is of much importance in a film
Also there is a plot, but it is meticulously crafted instead of telling it simply, so it may fly over the heads of some
>>
>>62969257
From where Senpai?
>>
>>62968853
There's a scene where a robot literally shoots up the evolutionary tree.
Is this nigger fucking serious?
>>
File: 1443553781663.jpg (799 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443553781663.jpg
799 KB, 1080x1080
>/tv/ plebs acting like their medium is superior to anime in any way

topkek
>>
>>62967744
why are her nipples erect? anime is really for perverts
>>
>>62969660
I've said before and I'll say it again, Sturgeon's Law applies to every single medium. Acting like one or the other is superior is just pure retardation.
>>
File: NS1+kagero+upside-down[1].jpg (33 KB, 632x474) Image search: [Google]
NS1+kagero+upside-down[1].jpg
33 KB, 632x474
the old ones are a bit slow sometimes, but arguably legendary.
Without them wouln't be such movies as The matrix, Pacific Rim, Edge of tomorrow, Kill Bill, etc
>>
>>62963002
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll
Rurouri Kenshin OVAs

series:
Berserk
Gantz

manga:
Berserk
Gantz
Blade of the immortal
Vagabond
Blame!
>>
>>62970249
>Without them wouln't be such movies as The matrix, Pacific Rim, Edge of tomorrow, Kill Bill, etc

That's actually a good argument against anime.
>>
>>62970320
Sword of the stranger
>>
>>62969254
Groovin'
>>
>>62970249
>>62970320
>Ninja Scroll
>Anything more than a pulpy ultra-violent flick with way too much frame reuse
>>
>>62963002
Patlabor. The TV show. Movies are good if you don't mind preachiness.
>>
File: 1404272174780.gif (2 MB, 331x197) Image search: [Google]
1404272174780.gif
2 MB, 331x197
>>62963429
>>
File: pepe awakens.jpg (119 KB, 695x642) Image search: [Google]
pepe awakens.jpg
119 KB, 695x642
>>62962777
>/a/
MODS DO YOUR FUCKING JOB FFS
>>
File: bookinsects2.jpg (371 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bookinsects2.jpg
371 KB, 640x480
>>62963002
My take on it:

MOVIES
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
My Neighbor Totoro
Redline

ANIME
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Berserk

MANGA
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Book of Human Insects

If you ever thought manga could never be genuinely "good," pic related should greatly surprise you.
>>
File: 1407776483737.jpg (80 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1407776483737.jpg
80 KB, 479x720
>>62969291
>implying story is of much importance in a film
>>
>>62964223
Fuck no.
>>
>>62970249
Pacific Rim is the only good movie you named.
>>
>>62971713
manga>anime
>>
>>62964518

You're an idiot.

As quoted here:
>>62964738
Aramaki spends an entire minute of dialogue providing exposition on who she is, and why she's important to the plot.

Also, just because something happens off screen doesn't mean it's bad writing. You're probably just a stupid american who is used to being spoon fed plot from terribly written TV shows.
>>
>>62968853
Nice rebuttal you black cock eating faggot, prove your anime isnt shit or shut the fuck up
>>
File: usopp.jpg (25 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
usopp.jpg
25 KB, 283x283
>>62963002
tryhard faggots need not apply
>>
>>62962777
It did try really, really, really hard to sound smart but landed on its face the way anime dialogue always does.
>>
>>62962777
>animu

what did you expect?
>>
File: anime.png (3 MB, 1900x1080) Image search: [Google]
anime.png
3 MB, 1900x1080
>>62963002
>>
>>62974620
>shit on the left (but recent)
>shit on the right (but older)
>>
>>62963002
Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVAs is some incredible depressing stuff. Don't bother with that other super depressing OVA though.
>>
>>62969533
That scene is fucking great you redditor
>>
File: gnorikoscream.jpg (86 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
gnorikoscream.jpg
86 KB, 500x377
>>62963002
Gunbuster.
Evangelion.
>>
>>62974646
>>
>>62974646

Gorg and Eccentric Family aren't good on the right, that's about it.
>>
>>62962777
>an anime is shit
WOW WHAT A SHOCK
>>
File: Angel's Egg.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Angel's Egg.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>62962777
It's mainly because Oshii got into live-action, that ruined his directive vision. Check out Beautiful Dreamer or Angel's Egg. Not those are magnificent Kino.

The manga isn't Masamune's greatest work either, that would be Orion.
>>
File: Animated works.jpg (1 MB, 1815x1993) Image search: [Google]
Animated works.jpg
1 MB, 1815x1993
>>62963002
I wouldn't really include them, even though I do value them for certain aspects.
>>62963203
>Scenes would happen with no context, no explanation as to what was happening, and then end and never be mentioned again.
I find this rather suprising. To me one of the main problems was that it explained too much. Major and The Puppeteer forced so many of the themes onto the viewer to make you know what you should think about. It was totally anti-immersive.
>>
>>62974620
>Gurren
>Shit
holy keks bro well memed
>>
>>62968462
The series had only one confirmed lesbian.
>>
>>62974832
>trash.jpg
>>
>>62963002
NGE + EoE

One of the only anime that gave me the same feeling that a TV show/film could.
>>
>>62962777
Say that to my face and not online faggot, see what happens.
>>
>>62974841
TTGL is for babbies, fuck off kid.
>>
File: here.jpg (11 KB, 245x251) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
11 KB, 245x251
>>62974913
>>
>>62974953
>I prefer adult anime for adults such as myself.
>>
>>62974898
I've seen very few tv shows that gave me the the same kind of feelings the best of tv anime have. Maybe besides Sopranos, The Prisoner and The Decalogue.

I'd really want something on the level of nge, utena, lain or haibane renmei. Or something with the visual grandness of Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy or Mononoke.
>>
>>62974841
>Gurren
>good

Back to /v/.
>>
File: kek.png (168 KB, 383x665) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
168 KB, 383x665
Mango is good too.
>>
File: ramsay-snow.png (64 KB, 434x241) Image search: [Google]
ramsay-snow.png
64 KB, 434x241
>>62974961
Let's fookin do this. I took my shirt off so I have +5 movement.
>>
>>62963203
>>62964430
>>62964518
IN MEDIAS RES
N

M
E
D
I
A
S

R
E
S
>>
>>62974985
I for one don't see how something like Lain or Haibane are as good as Dekalog and Sopranos.They're just nowhere near as well realized or all-encompassing. I don't think NGE is as good either but I can at least see where people are coming from. Kaiba turned to shit in the second half and Tatami Galaxy is kinda shallow but I like it. Mononoke is great, maybe my favourite anime series visually speaking and consistently wise.
>>
I think went over your head OP.

The visual exploration of it's themes is constant and incredibly dense. Every scene explores concepts and dialogue from elsewhere in the film

Even if you aren't interested in it's themes it's complexity and technical sophistication are exceptional.
>>
>>62974832
can you give me the names for all these animes?
>>
>>62964223

watched this piece of shit the other day

jesus fucking christ, was this pretentious garbage or have I just took a far too long break from animes? it was one of the worst anime experiences I ever had
>>
>>62974688
they're both from the same anime you dumbass
>>
>>62963002
>a bunch of teens with no cinematic knowledge or knowledge of art running to show off their taste in stuff made for children
I can't stop laughing
>>
>>62963514

This was great. Not at all what I was expecting but I liked it. It's an alternate universe space program if the space program was put together by a bunch of nerds in their garage the way microcomputers first were.
>>
File: perfectblue.jpg (27 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
perfectblue.jpg
27 KB, 600x300
post anime that's 2deep4u done right.
pic related.
>>
File: 1430614398296.jpg (126 KB, 760x589) Image search: [Google]
1430614398296.jpg
126 KB, 760x589
>>62975950
>2deep4u done right
This board really is losing it
/film/ can't happen soon enough
>>
>>62975999

>Teenagers reading books meant for teenagers

What's the problem?
>>
File: 2347965235.png (285 KB, 517x502) Image search: [Google]
2347965235.png
285 KB, 517x502
>>62975999
>/film/
>not /joint/
blew it
>>
File: 1425617303033.jpg (60 KB, 693x663) Image search: [Google]
1425617303033.jpg
60 KB, 693x663
>>62976045
Did you see >>62975950

/tv/ is already lower than /joint/
>>
File: 1448036320570.jpg (44 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
1448036320570.jpg
44 KB, 500x435
>>62970341
>>
>>62962777
Yeah I agree this movie was not even good, the tv show is much more interesting. It ends horribly as well
>>
>>62962777
I have to agree, animation wise is pretty cool but it gets boring, the second movie is better, but i think that if you don't like ghost in the shell you probably don't like Blade Runner because of that futuristic/cyberpunk setting
I personally like it, but i would NEVER reccomend it to someone who isn't into anime.
>>62962931
>Love Hina
>not belonging in a pile of trash and shit
>>
File: 1445159176443.jpg (95 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1445159176443.jpg
95 KB, 720x720
>>62962777
>watch Psycho Pass
>its a minority report rip off
Whatever
>>
>>62963071
>>62963134
weebs actually thought that scene was sad

get a life
>>
>>62974620
>Lupin III
>Good
>>
File: not assassin's creed.gif (3 MB, 237x178) Image search: [Google]
not assassin's creed.gif
3 MB, 237x178
>>62963002

This: >>62963632
>>
File: lupincuck.gif (484 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
lupincuck.gif
484 KB, 250x188
>>62980551
>Lupin III
>Bad
>>
>>62975638
Sure. Series:
Utena, Evangelion, Lain
Stand Alone Complex, Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba
FLCL, Haibane Renmei, Mononoke
Movies:
Perfect Blue, Kaguya, Millennium Actress
Princess Mononoke, Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura 2
End of Evangelion, Mind Game, Belladonna of Sadness
>>62975300
I find these series to be well written, but they don't convey as much meaning through their imagery as those anime you mentioned. I feel like in most cases I could read the script and get the same general idea or feeling from it. Films and tv shows utilize the story both through the narrative and dialogue but I feel they should just as much through visual exposition and cinematography. If Yuasa's work had different designs, NGE didn't have Anno's shot composition, Lain didn't have the oniric visual sequences and Mononoke didn't have it's whole theatrical set up they would be completely different stories. If you just read the scripts you'd have a smal fraction of what the whole title delivers.

Though I admit I am biased with my preferences. I'd take surrealism over realism and expressivness and extravagance over subtlety. I enjoy reading non-fiction, so when I go into fiction I want something I won't get from the former.
>>
>>62980895
I understand what you mean, though I can't say one can generally have an idea of these live-action shows through the script alone. I'll use Sopranos as an example as that one's fresher in my memory. The emotions one can observe from Gandolfini's eyes that manage to convey innocence and inherent sadness through one of the meanest, often evil characters in fiction, that little flicker of disparity in a man whose life was practically forced on him, is quite profound I'd say. The way he grows, fattens and breathes heavily as the show goes on was a great touch to his character and the show's commentary on America's consumerism. I don't think I need to comment on how much music (especially incidental) plays a role in the series, it was practically a character in itself. Lighting wise, the show has a rather overtly bright palette to the first season but steadily grows darker and more autumnal with orange-ish hues, characters hanging around in darkened rooms, shadows, all of this reflecting Chase's cynicism and America's angstier mood. I think it's meant to contrast with the earlier seasons which represented Tony's rise and the later seasons representing Tony's fall. I found the direction to be rather understated rather than in your face like Breaking Bad. Notice how the dream sequences actually felt dreamlike whereas the coma experience was rid of that surreal touch and more reminiscent of the show's real life texture. The show has loads and loads of imagery too but they're really hidden in the narrative and not out there for example like the arrow pointing at the family of cats in Utena. Take Tony's house, seemingly extravagant on the exterior but rings hollow on the interior. Take the repeating motifs of colonial houses in those otherworldly moments of the show and how they represent the heaven/hell/purgatory. Also all of the last episodes beginning with Tony sleeping and how that reflects the stagnation of his soul. There are hundreds of examples out there.
>>
>>62981931
I get what you're saying though and I used to watch most tv shows through dialogue and narrative but I feel l have a greater understanding of these shows through paying more attention to cinematography and visual motifs the second time around. It's not maximalist like Utena and I can totally see why that would be more towards your taste. I enjoy both surreal and realistic works and part of why I love Sopanos because it's the most comprehensive representation of real life committed to television/film, taking into account dreams and those rare supernatural situations as well.
>>
>>62965509
I found that more unsettling than sexy.
>>
I really regretted watching this shit

I guess this movie was impressive because it was from a time before winamp vizualizers were invented
>>
>>62963203

That is a fault of the movie yes. It basically says "oh you want to know what the fuck a ghost is? Or what other shit we mentioned is but didn't explain? Haha buy the manga available at all good retailers!"
>>
>>62980895
>>493771

the end of eva sucked so much i mwan they set up a badass show down sinje (i know that his name is misspelled) power dubled from the loss of misote and ascoka Vs 9 or so M.P.E. hat come back after you kill them but no they star the 3rd inpact ever bady dies and then senjie and askuke came back and the little dicj head tres to kill the hatest gril in the show what the fuck man
>>
File: fedora sideburns.jpg (82 KB, 900x1344) Image search: [Google]
fedora sideburns.jpg
82 KB, 900x1344
>>62967843

>anime

>objectively great
>>
>>62975358

>actually beleives this
>the movie comes up with any excuse to have the Major nude to please teenage boys

Its juvenile teenage manga wankery
>>
>>62982086
Well, there's a reason why Sopranos was one of the titles I mentioned. Definitely my favorite when it comes to american tv shows. I was reluctant to watch it for some time, the first american tv show that somehow impressed me was The Wire. Then I watched Breaking Bad, True Detective and some other shows which made me grow tired of crime-related shows. Knowing the premise of Sopranos I wasn't too fond of giving the genre another shot, but damn. Was it worth it in the end. Maybe I was a bit harsh, the cinematography did matter quite a bit in Sopranos. I'm usually the same and pay attention to how the visual elements tell a story the second time, I saw all the tv series on that list at least two times. Though honestly I don't know if I'll do that with Sopranos, for the simple reason of how long it was.

When it comes to surrealism, there are some shows that utilized elements of it in their narrative (hell, I'd say even Sopranos did). Carnivale, The Prisoner and Twin Peaks come to mind. But I somehow find surrealism more appealing and just plain impressive in animation. Maybe because by its nature it can just become plain more unreal. I also like how in for example Utena, it's not only the backgrounds and setting that are stylized, but the designs of the characters are stylized in the same manner. Often it's also not just by the designs but by their poise. Shows by Yuasa and Nakamura are even more extreme examples.

Btw, do you have anything to recommend?
>>
>>62982390
I liked it because it was technically impressive with the sets and it had great cinematography and good acting. The book was better because it was much less boring.
>>
>>62965957

So... What's good then?

He asked you what's good and you wrote an essay on what's bad instead.
>>
>>62982463
You need to be over 18 to post here.
>>
>>62982789

That is copypasta.
>>
>>62962789
>It's pretty bad. Anime fans have very low standards.

This desu. We often take shows that would be average by normal tv standards and worship them because nearly all the other stuff is awful. A good example of this is Code Geass, which is kind of mediocre but compared to "Magical Stripper Fanservice XI: Panties Edition" it's better than The Wire.
>>
>>62963002
Kiniro Mosaic
>>
>>62982660
I don''t watch that much television. Mad Men and Six Feet Under are most similar to Sopranos in character study (neither are related to crime), the former is like a more stylized version with the same touch of surrealism. Heimat is also good.
>>
>>62974620
what's that on top row right with the dog in the hat?
>>
>>62974648
can I dive right into the OVA without knowing anything about the story?
>>
>>62963148
>Without GITS there would be no The Matrix.

Ghost in the shell and the matrix are both inspired by the novel neuromancer. molly millions = trinity = motoko.
>>
>>62980708
finally a dindu getting cuked
>>
>>62962931
>I tried out this shit and probably will never watch anime again
I don't get why some people think that one or two anime are representative of all anime, and I don't even watch that much anime myself.
>>
>>62965740
Manga. Peter Marinker fucking kills it.
>>
File: 1435176367_Annoyed-Obama.jpg (24 KB, 550x298) Image search: [Google]
1435176367_Annoyed-Obama.jpg
24 KB, 550x298
>>62962777
Is this thread still here?
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.