[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: I obliterate bullshit criticisms The movie wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: star-wars-BBC.jpg (145 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-BBC.jpg
145 KB, 858x536
ITT: I obliterate bullshit criticisms

The movie wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. tired of seeing criticisms that don't make any sense.

I'll tell you why these are bullshit, but I will also give you a criticism for every one I reject. That way contrarians can be a little less butthurt.

> Rey is a Mary Sue! She's too talented!
Her origins justify her fighting skills and technical know-how. It's literally the only point of her first few scenes.

Plus, being force sensitive, her feats are no more amazing than Luke's in the first movie. Luke goes from being a backwoods hick to the best pilot in the rebellion fleet within one movie. He destroys the Death Star with a one in a billion shot. The Force makes people extraordinary.

Rey's piloting skills are the only really unbelievable thing. I think she has Skywalker in her blood. After all, Luke and Anakin were intrinsically good at piloting fighters. If that's not the case, then the whole piloting thing was pure bullshit.

> Kylo should have won the last fight easily
Kylo got shot by Chewy with a blaster able to kill fully armored storm troopers in one hit. At first he dominates both Finn and Rey. As he loses blood and becomes more enraged, he loses his focus and eventually the fight.

Also note that at first he is only trying to subdue Rey, not kill her. He is trying to turn her if he can.

One thing I didn't like about Kylo is that he looks like a dork. It's hard to take him seriously when he looks more like a kid in cosplay than a terrifying warrior. Hopefully the next movie will show him with a fucked up faced and looking a little tougher.
>>
>>63786618
Is that Cara?
>>
>>63786618
continued (last rant)

>Why is there a rebellion and a new republic? That makes no sense!
There's a lot we don't know about the politics. It seems like the Republic may not be totally on board with the rebels. They offer aid, but not total support. Given the fact that the First Order is somewhat large, the new republic may not be so quick to go to war.

Also, it may still have imperial sympathizers or those who are playing both sides to see who comes out ahead.

It wouldn't be hard to see why this could be the case. After the Clone Wars, there was a lot of anti-Jedi propaganda. My guess is that it stuck in the political culture, and some people were not thrilled that a bunch of rebels were working with Jedis to overthrow the government. Also, I'm sure lots of planets benefited from imperial rule if their leaders were kissing the emperor's ass.

>Phasma doesn't do anything cool!
I agree that she doesn't, and yes that kinda sucks.

However, the point of her in this movie is to set her up as an antagonist down the line. Finn got the best of her twice. She's probably going to do something terrible to him in the next movie. I wouldn't be surprised if she kills Boe.
>>
>>63786618
>>63786696

Thanks copy and paste. Just fuck my formatting up.
>>
The first defense is kinda weak. Yes, she's force sensitive. But Luke was force sensitive in a New Hope too and he only uses the force once, which was to fire the torpedo. He had no knowledge of how to use the force except for that one moment and doesn't build on it until he trains with Yoda later.

Rey is just magically better at using the force than Kylo, even though Kylo was trained by Luke, seems to know how to mindtrick people immediately, etc. There's a very clear difference in aptitude between these two protagonists in these two movies

I don't mind her knowing how to fight or her being a mechanic, that's fitting giving her background. Although her skills with a lightsaber are a bit questionable
>>
I don't understand everyone saying she's some master pilot. She knew how to fix the falcon but she was an okay pilot. She crashed the thing everywhere.

I just rewatched the rey and kylo fight and I'm pretty sure her closing her eyes was her "use the force luke" moment. She let the force in it helped her. I still don't understand how she used the mind trick but that might have a reason later.
>>
>>63786889
same anon here, started thinking about it more but what if rey figured out how to do the mind trick after kylo looked into her mind? obviously the mind trick didn't work out perfectly but obviously she's strong in the force so maybe that's how?

It would really be great if they mentioned this in episode 8, even just off hand
>>
>>63786889
Going from never having piloting a ship like that to weaving it in that wreckage and out maneuvering the other pilot is kinda over the top. Have you ever seen someone get behind the wheel of a car for the first time? Now imagine it's a massive space ship. She picks it up like nothing.

Only makes a little sense if she is also a Skywalker.
>>
>>63786799
She had some advantages Luke didn't.

She seemed to know a little more about Jedis and the force as topics. Plus like another anon says, I think Kylo underestimated her, which is why she got a little in his head. I think she gained some knowledge from him that neither intended.
>>
>>63787147
I mean driving a car for the first time isn't that crazy though. After a little bit you figure it out. Plus who knows what kind of crazy shit you might try when on the verge of death. I really don't think she's being set up as some bad ass pilot like poe, just got lucky and learned how to fly good or bad however you see it
>>
>>63787258
I agree she's not on Poe's level but she certainly held her own against a trained First Order pilot.
>>
Why Kylo didn't use the force in a fight? Like I don't know, force push Finn or shit?
>>
>>63786799
She is obviously trained and just doesn't remember for whatever reason.

>touches lightsaber and experiences flood of memories
>triggers r2-d2 with her presence

She is clearly somehow related to Luke. She probably has like two decades of training she forgot. It's just an obvious setup for the next movies.
>>
>>63786799

> only uses the force once
>He had no knowledge of how to use the force except for that one moment

This is factually inaccurate. Luke receives a formal lesson in how to use the force from obi-wan while aboard the falcon. And he didn't exactly blow up the death star on his own, he was receiving advice from a force ghost.

Rey on the otherhand instinctively know how to do everything flawlessly.
>>
>>63787559
He was bleeding out and he couldn't fight with his saber and concentrate enough at the same time.

Plus, as previous scenes established, he has almost no discipline. He swings wildly. Despite his strong force powers, he still has a lot of training to focus himself in battle and not go totally apeshit.
>>
>>63787744
See
>>63787229
>>
>>63786889
>Rey closes her eyes during the fight
>Luke Skywalker's voice: "Use the Force, Rey" like Obi Wan in New Hope.

Just that minor addition would have made her sudden skill with the lightsaber that much more effective AND solidified a connection to Luke and the original trilogy.

Pure poetry.
>>
>>63786618
the movie is just empty nostalgia pandering, marketed towards children and manchildren who want to relive their childhood through a popcorn flick.
>>
>>63788150
That addition would have been fucking dumb.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.