[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mexico City
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Will be heading out to Mexico City, Mexico soon.

What are some must see/do's there and anything after that.

I plan to visit historical sites and some museums

after that it's mainly nightlife but i'm also down to check out other shit.

Any mexican anons please help out first time visitor. give me a rough guide or anything to the capital city and surrounding areas.
>>
go to the anthropology museum. it's really top 10 museums in the world and is in a dope location. might as well go to the castillo de chapultepec while you're there.

go to tlatelolco and sit on a bench and think about the government killing 500 people in that spot and its historicity. think about what 1968 meant as a year and mexico's unlikely involvment in that.

go to clubs if you want. i am the first person to say that DF is a world class city and is every bit as cosmopolitan as any other place on earth, but the night life has always bored me. it kind of sucks.

go to see murals. colegio de san ildefonso, secretaria de educacion publica, bellas artes, world trade center, the UNAM campus, frida's house, the siqueiros room in castillo chapultepec, etc. the mexican mural movement in the early 20th century is really an unparalleled outburst of creative energy.

other odds and ends: go to teotihuacan. it's a full day trip and exhausting, but climb the pyramids and know that what you see is likely less than 5% of the original city. hang out in the plaza de coyoacan. get coffee from el jarocho and eat at the comedores on calle higuera, especially the pozole. el rey de tacos is close by on the corner of hidalgo and division del norte -- its one of the best spots in the city. see a bullfight. it's fucking brutal but the plaza mexico is the largest bull arena in the world. take a boat tour through xochimilco, but don't pay more than 300 pesos/hour.

ask me about anything else. this isn't even scratching the surface.
>>
>>1114257
What are the hostels like their? What is there to eat?
>>
>>1114263
hostels are cheap. i stayed at one a few blocks south of the zocalo and it was maybe $20 for a 2 double bed room. split 4 ways and its fucking cheap and in the center of the city. i'm sure there's a lot of options like that.

eat shit on the streets. don't be a fucking pussy. ask for surtido and sesos and lengua and tripa and all the good shit you can't get back home. the cuisine is sort of a mex of everything. you might also be in season for chiles en nogada, depending on the time you go. you'll know if you are, every place in the whole city will have them
>>
>>1114267
Any issues with zetas or sicarios? Should I expect to be held for ransom?
>>
>>1114273
no. you (presumably) have nothing to do with the drug trade. i lived there for several months (and have been back since, hence staying at hostels) and have never felt unsafe. rather, i have felt far less safe in the city i live in in the United States than i ever did in Mexico City. it's big news that there have recently started to be deaths which looks drug related, but its like 2 at a time in shitty neighborhoods that you, as a tourists, would have nothing to do with.

i would guess that the very worst that would ever happen to you on the very off chance is a secuestro express. basically where a taxi driver unexpectedly drives you to an ATM and tells you to take out X amount of money. honestly i would just fucking bail if that happened. with the traffic in DF, just jump out. but that's me. i took probably well over 100 cabs in mexico city as a lone white guy and it never happened, so it's pretty random.

i have a lot of friends that have gone there very afraid of all these things and come back saying they absolutely loved it. the most dangerous thing at this point is probably the shitty air quality. it's pretty bad right now
>>
>>1114279
Is there any form of public transportation or is it all cabs and uber or walking?
>>
>>1114281
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Metro

"In 2012, the system served 1.609 billion passengers, placing it as the eighth highest ridership in the world."

there is a shit load of transit dude. aside from the metro, there are a shitload of peseros, buses where the cost is based on distance (and something of the driver's discretion, but the range will be like 5-8 pesos, aka like 30-50 cents). these are unofficial but widely, widely, WIDELY used. i.e., totally normal to take. they don't really have normal times or stops though. mostly they will just have their route written on the window of the bus, and it's yout job to flag it down and tell him where you're going. welcome to mexico city.

there's also metrobus, trolleybus, and a few other more legitimate services. but the metro is typically your best bet. but cabs are fucking cheap. a 20-30 minute ride through morning traffic typically ran me somewhere from 3-4 dollars. 45-55 pesos. it'll be more at night, but even once i got ripped the fuck off and it was like 8 dollars.
>>
>>1114286
Sounds good thanks for the help
>>
>>1114257
why does the night live bored you? I lived 6 years in DF at the night life is one of the things I miss the most.
you have all kind of scenes and price ranges
>>
>>1114407
not the same anon, but in my experience it was sort of limited in scope. Very focused on a consumeing atitude. Produce yourselve, buy drinks, dress up, pay entrance, it all seemed terribly stiff, especially for a city as mellow as df. I liked the pulquerias and a part of the bar scene though
>>
>>1114482
any good bars/ultra lounge type thing you recommend while there??
>>
hookah joints?
>>
>>1114567
i got the sense that it wasn't very popular with most mexicans themselves, but i was always a big fan of the bar on the 43th floor of the torre latino. it's really all about the view tho desu. definitely not a very "authentic" mexican kind of bar, but i dont care.
>>
>>1114567
I don't know what a ultra lounge is. No offense, but it sounds like the kind of stuff people in Mexico in general are into. You might also like the bars ar>>1114568
ound the plazas/centro of coyoacan and tlalpan. They have an bohemian vibe but are fairly tame. Cheers!
>>
>>1114622
didn't want to tag>>1114568
fuggen cellphone.
>>
a thing to beware of is traffic congestion.

At rush hour, the metro is packed full. Like, really full - people really squeeze themselves into the carriages, and the whole station space is also packed full. (Interestingly, during rush hour they also have separate carriages for men and women.)

At the same time, the roads are also at a standstill. So, yes, you can take a cab, but it won't get you very far. You'll be just enjoying a traffic jam. So between like 18h30 the only way you can move around is by foot (maybe also bike).
>>
>>1114633
>between 18h30 and 21h
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.