[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have one free day on a two-nights Business trip to Vienna in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png (11 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png
11 KB, 2000x1333
I have one free day on a two-nights Business trip to Vienna in April.

Where should I stay? Where should I go?
>>
Bump. Help me anons.
>>
I'm very interested in what people have to say. I have a really romanticized idea of Vienna and have always wanted to go
>>
>>1089637
I stayed near Karlsplatz/Karlschirche last visit, at Am Konzerhaus.
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1276-hotel-am-konzerthaus-mgallery-collection/room.shtml

Good central spot just outside the ring, a nice walking distance to Cafe Sperl, nachtmarket, Karlschirche, opera house, safe university foot traffic at all hours (felt safe to walk at night, and vienna is a safe/prosperous place anyway). You can walk easily,or the tram/bus that doing the Ringstrasse as a quick "tour" without walking. Sisi tour is popular for all tourists, great gold/gem/religious artifacts (too many to count) and I suggest a rush-through of the 10million china patterns at the end, and peek out the door at the library bit at the end, where some of the first known printed "travel guide" books that belonged to Sisi are located, and great early advertising of vacations in art.

If 300+ art musuems aren't your thing If you want to get out of the city and weather is nice, I highly suggest a half day trip to go down to medieval Melk's Benedictine monastery with intact library (spot a theme? lol), train one way and danube cruise back through wine valleys with ruins and "typical" austrian architecture in several towns. You'll be back in time for early dinner and some evening plans. Vienna is lovely and all that, but realize it was COMPLETELY rebuilt after WWII. Storybook cool stuff exists just outside of town.
>>
>>1089686
Thanks man. Much appreciated. I'll definitely do the things you describe in the first paragraph.
>>
>>1089690
Don't be overwhelmed at choice. There are enough things to do in Vienna to warrant several years of visits. Just think "ooh, nice day in the city" and walk around. Cafes are a part of the history and lifestyle of an austrian, so do wander in, get a coffee, try the house pastry like the sacher torte or strudel, maybe have a schnitzel with a delicious beer, and then move on to the next idea. Its a lot of ground to cover, and to be fair, many people do less than 3days between prague and budapest 10day trips, 3-3-3, so just tell yourself "I'll be back one day!"

If you're a shopper, it's a pretty unique city (look 7th district) that contains still some handicrafts of quality, like custom shoes and leather craft, traditional costumes/tailoring such as those gorgeous stitched blazers 25% of men still wear, musical instruments, serious fashion designers of ball gowns and dirndls, art design and art glass...and a foodies heaven in every way. Might be something to research, so you'll know if you'll be walking right past one of the treasures.
>>
I will try to add some info to this, I've lived here and in the area most of my life.

Public transport in Vienna is pretty good, trams, subways, busses and trains bring you to pretty much anywhere you want. One thing to remember though is that after 1am on week days it gets more difficult and only select night lines are available. A 24 hour ticket from a machine at any subway station or cig shop is worth it if you take more than 3 one way tickets and work for anything within the city. If the weather is nice, there are also spots where you can rent a bike and return it at other spots, might be fun to ride around the city if that's your thing. My favorite spots are Museums Quartier, 1. 2. 4. 5. 6. 7. districts, Naschmarkt is nice but only really worth it if you're planning to cook a meal, the restaurants there are overpriced and often not very good. If youre looking for some parks and green surroundings, Schönbrunn, Donauinsel, Stadtpark and Belvedere are nice to see. You get around fairly quickly, I would also just recommend walking and exploring there are a lot of hidden spots.

There are lot of restaurants that claim to be "must eat" places that have the reputation of having "best schnitzel" or other traditional food but you just end up paying too much. I have found that there are other smaller places that do it a lot better, lots of modern restaurants popping up here for the past ~5 years, there are definately better places to eat. Or you can try and find a Heurigen to get a more traditional feeling.

Have fun
>>
>>1089712
Thank you based Austrian anon
>>
Heterosexual and not in a serious relationship? Go to FKK Goldentime.
>>
>>1089637
There are some great museums; the art history museum, the military museum (see Franz Ferdinand's blood stained uniform), etc.
>>
Go to Flex or to the Fluc Club buy some weed and ecstasy and party straight all night
>>
>>1090219
also this
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.