[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The greedy traveler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
I cannot enjoy traveling, I really don't enjoy spending my money.
>$20 for a bed in a hostel? Shit u could have bought lots of cool stuff with that money
>$10 for a meal in a cheap restaurant? Well it was tasty but in the supermarket the food is cheaper
>$200 for a one way plane ticket? I'd really like to go but I don't earn that much.. I don't want to be broke when I'm back home

I always get this feeling before, during and after each travel; I try to push myself to spend some money in the stuff I like but at the end of the day I end up counting every euro or local currency I spent.
There are in here more greedy travelers?
>>
>>1123849
Not really greedy, but more frugal I'd say.
I'm so used to being a poorfag that I avoid spending as much as I can and end up missing out on a bunch of neat things when traveling.
>>
>>1123849
That'snot greedy, that's cheap/being a cheapskate
>>
>>1123849
Yeah, I can relate. I never bother paying for any beds and people usually feed me, so I used to spend not more than 10 euro a week or something. (Also, I'm always hitchhiking of course) I suggest you giving no fuck about this, OP
>>
Did you grow up in a household where money was a big issue? It may be rude to say but I think that mentality has its origins from people who grew up poor or had parents who did.
Travelling is expensive and the only value comes out of your enjoyment, with that in mind spend as much or as little that maximises hapiness in experience and actual cost if tbat nakes sense
>>
File: 8b9.jpg (9 KB, 200x311) Image search: [Google]
8b9.jpg
9 KB, 200x311
My greed has cock blocked me on more than one occasion.

>be in Paris
>going to see the Eiffile tower and have a light evening meal/wine on the lawn
>5 of us, me, another guy and 3 Portuguese grills
>all pretty cute
>two 7/10s and an 8.5/10 a
>hang out for a bit and the two 7/10s want to call it a night so hostel bro heads back with them
>8.5/10 doesn't want to leave
>illstayherewithyou.jpeg
>we have great chemistry
>decide we want more wine
>we walk around to find a store that will sell us a cheap bottle of wine
>all super markets/mini markets closed because it's late
>8.5/10 only has 5 euros in cash and doesn't want to hit an ATM but says she'll pitch it in for a bottle of wine at a cafe
>I tell her wine is too expensive to buy at a cafe and I don't want to spend the money
>walk around for a little bit more and go back to hostel
>come home with at the end of my trip with over 5k left in my bank account
>mfw I realized what she implied when she told me she had a private room back at the hostel
>mfw I missed out on prime pussy in Paris because I didn't want to fork out 15-20 Euros for a bottle of wine

The worst part is I saved up all that money for the sole purpose of traveling and having a good time, I also blame my autism though. Moral of the story, don't be a frugal cunt all the time, live a little.
>>
>>1123849

$20 for a hostel? Just camp if the weather is decent a sleeping mat is fine.. Bad weather you'll need some decent clothing, a good small tent, and a 0 degree sleeping bag.

$10 for a meal? Not necessary just buy the super market food or get to know some locals who will feed you.

$200 for the plain ticket there are ways to get cheap flights through rewards / etc. It's a lot of work though.
>>
I'm actually a greedy asshole in everyday life, i don't even have a car at 30 but i spend around 20percent of my income in travels, i rarely splurge but i wanna enjoy myself.
>>
I am all for saving money whilst travelling but the things you're talking about is just ridiculous. You're such massive, massive shit cunts for not wanting to pay $20 for a hostel, or not spend more than $200 on flights. Shit you can't even fly interstate in Australia for $200 return most of the time.
>>
>>1124369

> You're such massive, massive shit cunts for not wanting to pay $20 for a hostel

stfu aussie fag. you're not the center of the world. $20 may be cheap for Australia but would be considered expensive in most parts of the world.
>>
>>1123849

Travel with you're own tiny house OP. It's called camping, RVing, couchsurfing, ... Solves all your problems. Tis wat i do.
>>
ITT: smell
>>
>>1124374
If you can't set a budged aside to spend while traveling, you're not ready to travel to the place you want.
If $20 is too expensive for you, go elsewhere where you can find lodging for less.

Now if you can set a budget aside but you're unable to spend the budget because you think everything is expensive, then the problem is not the price, but with your own mindset.
>>
>>1124387
It's funny how you speak with such an absolute authority on those matters.
>>
>>1124474
It's funny how you come here expecting people to be humble and show humility.
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>itt we confuse the definitions of greedy and frugal/thrifty

You know someone can be greedy and be a big spender, they often go hand in hand in fact. Gluttony
>>
>>1123849
Not really, when I travel I tend to not be as frugal as I normally am, I think to myself, its a once in al lifetime situation, I probably wont be here ever again so fuck it I want to make the most of it(within limits of course, always stay away from tourist traps)
>>
>>1123849
I am very much the same and have been hesitant to spend heaps on travel. But life has recently pushed me in that direction and I very much believe you have to go where life takes you, even if it ends up costing.
>>
>>1123849
It isn't hard desu, just set aside a budget you're happy with spending prior to leaving and spend it. If you're spending too quickly and running out of money then slow down and vice versa.

Obviously be realistic enough to make sure that the budget is enough that you can actually do everything you want to do, including eating out and hostels and so on, but even though I'm pretty thrifty back home I've never found it hard to spend as much as I like abroad so long as it's within predefined limits I've worked out are ok.
>>
Maybe you are all cranky while traveling because you got the cheapest shittyest hostel possible and got bad sleep from those shitty mattresses,
Then you cheated out on every meal so you don't have enough calories to have mental tolerance for anything. keep in mind you tend to walk around more as a tourist.
>$20 for a bed in a hostel? Shit u could have bought lots of cool stuff with that money
"Cool stuff" is almost always more of a waste of money then a cool experience
>>
>>1123849

Memories are priceless. Stop being greedy.
>>
I have this feeling constantly, even in daily life. That being said, I always overestimate the ammount of money I actually spend during my trips because I am an pretty humble person who doesn't need much to have a good time. I enjoy a good drink though, so I always bring my own hooch and buy local beers at the supermarkets to save money I'd otherwise spend in expensive bars.
>>
>>1124856
Stop using greedy incorrectly. Stingy maybe, greedy this is not
>>
Y'all motherfuckers genuinely don't know the difference between stingy and greedy. That's basically English. And this is supposed to be the smart board. This planet is doomed.

Tl:Dr : Greedy deals with an excess of consumption/attainment. Stinginess is an excessive reluctance to part with what's already yours
>>
>>1124887
>>4chan
>>smart
Bitch, please!
>>
>>1124211
fuuck, brutal. i could totally see myself doing this too though
>>
>>1124887
I know. I could not believe the idiocy of this thread, when I saw it yesterday I just closed the browser window and did something else.

Obviously just another /pol/ attempt to mock Jews, they took over bother Israel threads.
>>
>>1124912
sorry, not everyone is a native english speaker here
>>
>>1124887
>basically English
>tl;dr same length as post
>>
File: nathan-explosion-brutal.jpg (30 KB, 597x351) Image search: [Google]
nathan-explosion-brutal.jpg
30 KB, 597x351
>>1124910
Advice for anons:

Girls get turned on by you spending money on them.
>>
>>1125196
money grubbing whore (i.e. typical female) detected
>>
>>1125242
No
I'm just a dude who knows that it works.
There are other ways to turn women on of course. But money is the one that always works.

>also I see that that OP's image finally got deleted. Was amazed it lasted as long as it did
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.