[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about buying a van to live out of. I have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
I'm thinking about buying a van to live out of. I have no clue what I'm doing. I just know I want to travel central and south america for maybe a few years.
>what's the best van to get, gas mileage and durability wise
>what should I avoid/definitely see
>how to make money while one road
>do I need a visa just to run around or can I use my passport
>how much would it cost
Mind you. I'm going to try and be as cheap as humanly possible. Picking mangos and coconuts every chance I get, camping out, pretty much do it kombi life style.
>>
File: dirty-laundry.jpg (330 KB, 594x808) Image search: [Google]
dirty-laundry.jpg
330 KB, 594x808
>>1119940
Spend a few nights in your car away from toilet + shower and you'll change your mind.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1119981
Not true, I'm know around town as "the SUV guy" because I lived in my smallish one for about a year. I preferred it and in some ways it was better for my health. I still wonder why I don't move back....oh yeah.

Anyway I got really used to squatting over a small trash can with used old bags inside--sometimes I still do it at home because now it just feels more natural. I used to make fun of Indians "poo in the loo" and all that but it is genuinely a tough habit to break!
>>
>>1119981
Not true at all. (okay some people would change their mind but doesn't mean that's you). borrow a friends van or something and do a lil road trip as a trial run though. sleeping in your car is a pain in the ass, vans are nice because you can actually spread out.
>>
See, I know I can do it. I've been to 48 states. Alaska and Hawaii are the only ones I haven't touched. I'm good with road trips. I love them. As for sleeping in car, it's okay. I don't like it. But I can do it. I usually have a tent packed and a blowup mattress for that reason though. I figure it would be WAY better in a van where I can possibly keep a small mattress. I have driven days on end. Sometimes 3 weeks at a time. That part doesn't bother me. I know I can do it. It's the other stuff that I know nothing about and need information about.
>>
OP get a water cooled kombi over there then bring it into the US and sell it.
Must be 25 years old to bring to US and A
>>
>>1119940
Not OP, but is 10000$ too much to pay for a used westfalia?
It has the pop up tent roof and all, seems to be in good condition...
>>
>>1120245
Is that the typical resell value? Yes.
Is it worth 10k? Hell no.
>>
>>1120372
Thanks
I'll just buy a van and do some customization
>>
>>1120372
totally worth it
some are as much as 120k now because they are fucking awesome
>>
File: $_1.jpg (47 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
47 KB, 400x267
>>1121724
The 100k- models are the 1st generation Type 2s, each successive generation is less valuable. If it's got a full pop up, chances are it's a Vanagon camper from the 80s and really are nothing special. 1.8 litre flat 4 under the seat, really you'll struggle to go more than 110 kph. And fuck all room in the back, you'll get sick of the "kitchen" fast.

Many boomers jack up the price on 80s Vanagons, to sell to other boomers who can't afford an original Type 2 mini bus from the 60s. They're unremarkable little vans, a pro is that the engine can be easily repaired on its own, but it's a noisy, rough ride that will stop being cool after the first day. And the AC is almost always broken.

For that same 10k you could get a well maintained Chevy Astro, GMC Vandura (pic related), or Ford Econoline camper that's twice as roomy and will have ice cold air. That's the way to go, you could probably get a Vandura from some dead pensioner for 8k and have 2k left for gas.
>>
>>1121733
There are late 80s westies going for 120k
There was never a 1.8.
There was a 2.0 aircooled from 1980 to 1983.5
Then a 1.9 till 85
Then a 2.1 from 86 to 91.
These things are a blast to drive.
With the vanagon models, the newer, the more they are worth.
>>
File: p2.chevrolet-astro-petrol-mpv.jpg (39 KB, 640x406) Image search: [Google]
p2.chevrolet-astro-petrol-mpv.jpg
39 KB, 640x406
>>1121741
Oh no, you're right. The fact that they're 1.9 litre changes everything.

Basically this autistic fanboy is encouraging you to buy a loud, slow, cramped shitbox because the hippies used to shoot smack in them in the 60s. Back in reality, you could have a newer, quiet, comfy camper with a thick soft mattress and that antarctican A/C for far cheaper.

But then your quiet smooth ride (like pic related '98 Astro) wouldn't be as "fun" to drive because apparently camper vans are a blast to drive now? I guess autismo here is doing burnouts and drag racing his little shitbox Vanagon?
>>
A guy posted a good guide a while ago on this OP. I'll try to find it.

My advice is to just fucking do it. See if you can get a remote job then just go out and do it. Nothing is stopping you but your own will power. I'm planning on doing it out of college if I can find a (either fully or partially) remote job.

The best resource is cheaprvliving.com go to the forums there
>>
>>1121962
Found the guy: http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1041554

So yeah, that guide and cheaprvliving.com OP. I really hope you do it, I hope I do it to. Life's too short
>>
File: vanagon-3_si.jpg (211 KB, 1024x740) Image search: [Google]
vanagon-3_si.jpg
211 KB, 1024x740
>>1121755
Did not mean to make you so angry.
Usually when something is in high demand there is a reason for it.
I have had all sorts of cool cars over the years from hot rods to long convertibles .My vanagon is by far the most fun of them all and gets the most positive attention. I am glad you enjoy your astro, its all about where you go
>>
File: 4515886174.gif (106 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
4515886174.gif
106 KB, 450x338
>>1122022
interior
Tucked away are a sink a stove and a fridge.
There is always cold beer and snacks in case I want to leave work early on a friday and go fishing all weekend.
>>
File: [email protected] (45 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
22400726-770-0@2X.jpg
45 KB, 640x428
>>1122023
The front seats swivel and a tables flip out so four people can eat at once.
It can also sleep one couple up top when the tent is popped and one couple down below.
There is a closet where I keep freshly pressed shirts.
The van remains inconspicuous enough that I can stealth camp with the curtains drawn.
There is a curtain between the front seats and the back so it looks like no one is in the van

with tinted windows its hard to tell if the curtains are drawn or not.
>>
>>1119940
Bumping
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.