[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm in Ashville, NC for the next few days. What are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: rooms-main-img-attractions.jpg (57 KB, 970x367) Image search: [Google]
rooms-main-img-attractions.jpg
57 KB, 970x367
So I'm in Ashville, NC for the next few days. What are the best places to go and things to do? Besides the usual tourist spots, what are some unique, fringe spots that might get overlooked, but are cool nonetheless.
>>
is ashville walkable at all? im going there in august and i dont have a car will this be a problem?
>>
>>1121677
You could go to the dark corner in SC it's not too far away and has moonshine
It also has some great mountain views
>>
>>1121677
if your still around pic related is probably the most boring thing you can do there. i haven't been in probably 10 years. but to tour the biltmore is like being trapped on a rollercoaster. all the rooms look the same and you cant escape you kind of had to finish the route to get out. id just check it out from the outside.

the greenbriar hotel for years was a legend for those in hospitality industry for being a non chain that was known for its service standards being so high. and just innovative like having fireworks and gingerbread house competition etc. I know it got bought out so I suppose much of that has changed but its worth a look around or having a drink at the bar. particularly around holidays.

>>1121687
yes and no. the downtown is. but in general yes I would think it could be a problem if you are going for more than a couple days. but taxis or uber or whatever will be there.
>>
File: Fremont Solstice parade.jpg (398 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Fremont Solstice parade.jpg
398 KB, 1024x683
I agree with >>1123211 the ''house'' tour is BORING, unless.. You enjoy (pretend-French) Architecture -or- are a film buff - a handfull of american films were filmed there. Food at the Biltmore Estate is WAY OVER-Priced with small sevrings of average tasting food.
The view is nice. Skip the tour and SMOKE a BONG on the front lawn by the fountain, bring a frizzbe and a picnic ..and get kicked out with your Go-Pro Camera & mountain-bike(s).

Skip all that noise. Instead.. WALK around downtown Asheville. You will find coffee shops with HipsterS (post-modern conservative hippies) twanging on (boring) two-chord accoustic guitars, bongos, and three piece drum sets. Sometimes you can find a Black person to point at.. Lots of Gluten-Free-Super-Organic-Farm-to-Table bullshit and ONE Starbucks & ONE McDonalds and lots of alcoholism voting for Hillary, because she's a ''woman''.

-- Love, Seattle WA ( ..the West is the Best, Bernie. )
>>
>>1123782
sounds like norcal/washington

if you can reccomend a good fumigator I'd be grateful
>>
I went to college in Asheville and loved it. It absolutely is walkable, especially the leafy, historic Montfort district on the north side of town (get the tater tots at tod's tasty's). Just be ready for some hills. On merrimon Avenue also in north Asheville is a place called Asheville brewing / brew and view, where you can drink craft beer, eat good food, and watch cheap movies (often current features). And Luella's barbecue is IMO significantly better than obama's favorite place, 12 bones (which, I'll admit, has a nice location on the river).

West Asheville (across the river and up a big hill) when I worked there was the up and coming part of town; that mantle may have passed to the south slope (breweries! Minor league baseball! sketchiness!) or maybe even the east side (wouldn't recommend the east side though--it's too disconnected from the city last I checked).

The river arts district is just west of and down a hill from the downtown and has food, drinking, a greenway (iIl assume construction is done), other random art stuff, and a river. You can get a tube and float down to The Bywater for drinks and whatever. Not sure the best logistics for that; never tried it.

Also, you can drive the beautiful riverfront road all the way up to marshall, nc, which is a scenic town with a budding arts scene.

Most of these recommendations are for things outside or on the periphery of downtown, which is its own beast. Anyway, I'd write more and better but I'm on my phone. Lemme know if you have questions and I'll try to respond. Hope you like the city.
>>
>>1121677
Downtown is nice, Lazoom is a fun little comedy tour. Check out the local restaurants, they kick ass. West Asheville is nice but doesn't have tons of attractions. South side is more.. Commercialized. Downtown has lots of attractions, nice shops (Honeypot, Mela, some antique shops, chocolate lounge is a must if you want sweets, plenty of local breweries on all sides of town).. When in doubt, get some comfy shoes and take a hike. Black balsam and bear wallow are great day hikes, as is the arbouritum. River floats are always fun. And there's a healthy gay scene (check the schedule, catch a drag show at scandals nightclub).
Hot springs is a drive, but nice.

Really.. once you get here, just ask some locals and they'll have some suggestions about where to go.

Source? I'm a local ashvillain, born and raised.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.