[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hermit's retreat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: friedrich-wanderer_above_the_sea.jpg (643 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
friedrich-wanderer_above_the_sea.jpg
643 KB, 2000x1000
Hey /trv/, I might have an unusual request for you.

I'm about to graduate and have come to the conclusion that I'd like to bug-out with a stack of books to some small village with some great scenery and walking routes. I basically want to spend a month living in the lowest key, clearing my personal reading list as well as my mind.

This might be unusual for /trv/, as the only travelling I'd like to do is to whatever hidey-hole I slope off to for the month, with the exception of maybe visiting a couple of acquaintances en route.

Anyway, I was wondering what locations you guys might recommend for a bit of reclusive contemplation. I wouldn't want to spend too much (max £2,000) and ideally lodge within walking distance of a local bar and market.

By the way, I'm a Britbong, so I'm naturally thinking of somewhere on the continent, like Spain, but I'd be interested to hear about anywhere outside the EU as well.

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated!
>>
>>1111670
Based OP. i would also like to know
>>
>>1111670
balear islands in spain are good, just don't go to ibiza, that's the expensive one
mallorca is cool and peaceful
alternatively jump the ocean come to mexico and get lost in chiapas, a friend of mine runs a hostel there and tell me it's not that dangerous
personally, i would prefer mallorca
>>
>>1111670
If you don't mind cold weather, you could always try somewhere in Canada or the northern parts of Scandinavia (though these might exceed your budget).
>>
>>1111670
I'd say Eastern Europe somewhere. Western Europe is, on the whole, too densely populated for this. I'd propose the Carpathians, or maybe Poland's "Lake District".
>>
File: mccandless.jpg (606 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
mccandless.jpg
606 KB, 1200x630
OP this sounds like my ideal getaway too but I feel it's pretty difficult to do nowadays. Ribbon development and one-off housing has destroyed the countryside in the UK. Every quaint village has been invaded with soccer moms/WAGs driving their SUVs down the narrow roads or hordes of ignorant Chinese tourists waving their selfie sticks around.

To get away from other humans, you need to go to the most inhospitable, uncomfortable places on Earth. I've been toying with the idea of living in a tent in rural Canada's far North for a few weeks. But like I said, it wouldn't be the most pleasant stay - no electricity, no toilets, no air conditioning, mosquitoes and bugs everywhere. I realize this is a different retreat to the one you're seeking but I though I'd chip in.

>>1111704
Canada gets very warm in the Summer, even the isolated Northern settlements like Yellowknife. It's obvious you don't live there.
>>
>>1111716
Never said Canada never gets warm though.
Don't know why you even considered that.
>>
>>1111716

dude if you're willing to live in a tent why not somplace in rural USA? It would be warmer and easier all around. Are you planning on hanging around the town or having solitude for days at a time and only go to town for supplies?
>>
>>1111721
Hypothetically, I would be staying in solitude for days at a time with a stockpile of non-perishable food. There have been times when I've hiked deep into isolated stretches of National Parks in the USA, thinking I'm all alone with nature, only to come across other hikers moments later. It kind of disrupts my vibe. I know it's selfish and unrealistic to want a whole National Park to myself so I don't expect. Hence rural far North Canada.
>>
>>1111716
It doesn't seem like OP wants to be completely isolated of any human interaction for a month, just a quite place to stay. You won't find local bars and markets within walking distance in the Canadian wilds.

Countryside still exists in the UK, the Outer Hebrides are pretty fucking isolated m8.
t. grew up in small, isolated rural village in SE UK, pretty fucking isolated

OP, you could do this in most countries, and it depends on what kind of environment you want.

I stayed in a fairly isolated cabin in the High Tatras in Slovakia and it was fairly enjoyable.

Suggestions:
Norway
Baltics
>>
OP, you would be using quite a bit of your budget to get there and on accomodation, but would
http://victoria.craigslist.ca/vac/5558165095.html
be suitable?

Gulf Islands in BC, or anywhere along the coast outside of 4 cities sounds like what you want.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 320x240
Thanks for the great response, guys. I think I will check out northern/eastern Europe.
>>
You could find some random village in northern ireland.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.