[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frostgrave General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 193x261
I've been hearing about Frostgrave recently and I'm wondering what /tg/ thinks of it.

A friend has been insisting that you can play in accordance with the rules even if you're using miniatures from a different line. Is this true, or an asspull?
>>
>>43578020
Its true, you can use whatever miniatures you want, a lot of people were posting warbands made from minis they had from their Warhammer collections, some from old DnD stuff, and yet others using stuff from Malifaux and stuff. Some people even suggested using sci-fi or pulp figures in a thread on Lead-Adventure.

I think its a fun game, but for some reason it didn't become that popular. I personally think it was a lack of background on the city and a general lack of anything other than basic rules for the game, but yea. I wouldn't say its dead, but it doesn't generate as much hype as it once did.

And to reiterate: You can use whatever models you want, the troop and wizard profiles are generic as all get out.
>>
>>43578020
>A friend has been insisting that you can play in accordance with the rules even if you're using miniatures from a different line. Is this true, or an asspull?

You can play with other miniature lines. The rulebook even says you can.
>>
>>43578556
Is there a PDF floating around of the rules? I'd like to look them up and figure out if it's for me.
>>
>>43578596
There is a Pdf of the rules, you should be able to find it in the op of this thread:

https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/42898314/

I would suggest reading through and giving it a whirl, its a pretty fun system in and of itself, and is pretty easy to adapt to most fantasy settings. There are a few articles online about people trying it out with almost anything as miniatures, including the infamous article titled BrikGrave, where in someone decides to use Lego minifigures to play it.
>>
>>43578020
>A friend has been insisting that you can play in accordance with the rules even if you're using miniatures from a different line. Is this true, or an asspull?
Rules have a high degree of abstraction and no factions. As long as the equipment is visible clearly, you can play with a human, a gnoll, a troglodyte, a deep one or whatever else might tickle your fancy.
>>
>>43578980
Here's the OP for the generals by the way.

Frostgrave: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City
(it's actually a skirmish game desu)

>What is it?
Skirmish fantasy game, 10 models per player max, you play wizards leading a band of hirelings into battles over treasure

>Appeals?
Campaig rules, discovering treasure, levelling up

Semi-back/forth activation system during turns

Run, jump, climb, just as you'd expect from a skirmish game

Streamlined rules and combat resolution, it's one die roll, love it or hate it.

Wandering monsters

You already have a lot of reaper bones miniatures, why not try out the pdf with a friend or two?

>Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

>Online warband creator
http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

>Rulebook:
https://mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

>Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
https://mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467

>Wizard sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
>spell cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are (ie the soldier archetypes have set gear, the mini should have that, or your soldiers should follow a

logical or consistent progression)

Don't use a goblin for a thug, and then another goblin who looks exactly the same except he's got a red belt so that makes him a treasure hunter.
>>
>>43578992

>"Required" scenery and minis to set up the 10 scenarios in the book
6 special treasure token - 3 per player (These are your mission objectives during most scenarios and the standard game)

By Scenario:
>The Mausoleum
6x6 inches piece of scenery - the mausoleum. Ideally with a door on each of the four sides.
An unspecified number of skeletons.
>Genie in a Bottle
A Genie Miniature or anything else that you could count as greater Demon.
>The Silent Tower
At least 10 inch+ high tower with three storeys minimum.
Two other buildings with walkways to connect them to the tower.
>The Library
Enough walls to build a Zone Mortalis kind of board with narrow corridors.
Four doorways, one for each side of the board.
>The Living Museum
6x Statues.
Enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building.
>The Worm Hunts
One giant worm miniature.
>The Haunted Houses
6 small buildings without roof.
6 wraiths.
>The Well of Dreams and Sorrows
A well.
>The Keep
4x 2" diameter discs - Teleporters
>The Complex Temple
6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)
>>
>>43578556
> I wouldn't say its dead, but it doesn't generate as much hype as it once did.

Its barely half a year old though. They are going to release more books and miniatures. (Plastic cultists coming soon)
>>
>>43578556
>I personally think it was a lack of background on the city

Thats what it made good in my opinion. You can easily take the rules and let the game take place in your own campaign setting or whereever you want.
>>
>>43578556
>I think its a fun game, but for some reason it didn't become that popular. I personally think it was a lack of background on the city and a general lack of anything other than basic rules for the game, but yea. I wouldn't say its dead, but it doesn't generate as much hype as it once did.
Are you even fucking serious?
Game came out two month or so ago. A new expansion with new miniatures including another plastic kit has been financed through a price Kickstarter equivalent.
Your opinion is so woefully uninformed I'm inclined to think you are trolling.
>>
>>43578020
I was also interested in this game, but sadly as the other anon has said its pretty much dead.

Also, there seems to be crippling problems such as the snowball effect which are not being addressed, unless using random peoples custom rules is your thing.

Threads on /tg/ are about 1 a week with 10 posts each.
>>
>>43579506
>I was also interested in this game, but sadly as the other anon has said its pretty much dead.
>Threads on /tg/ are about 1 a week with 10 posts each.
The lead adventure forum is very much. How much interest a thread gets on /tg/ is hardly indicative of whether or not a game is dead. According to that logic even Warmahordes was dead, because it's hardly represented here, when in fact it is the second biggest fantasy game manufacturer on the market after gw.
The planned Frostgrave Fridays are bad for me for example because I'm always busy Fridays. Those threads are usually dead before I come home.

>Also, there seems to be crippling problems such as the snowball effect which are not being addressed, unless using random peoples custom rules is your thing.
Not really sure what you mean with that. Snowball effect? How is that a problem for Frostgrave? They just financed the first expansion, a second plastic kit and a whole bunch of metal minis with their second Nickstarter.
>>
>>43580061

Warmahordes has continuous threads that reach 250-300 posts each time, so I"m not sure what you're talking about.

>Snowball effect? How is that a problem for Frostgrave?

He means in game. If a player keeps winning games, it's more likely they'll win subsequent games due to having a larger amount of good gear and dudes compared to the other players. There are some ways to deal with this like adjusting treasure values for players who are lagging or having multiple weaker players team up against stronger ones, but they're not fullproof and can sometimes shit on a player for doing too well.
>>
>>43580216
Joe wrote a scenario/rules to balance that by throwing some monsters into the mix that are pissed off at the high level player.
Can find it on his blog.
>>
Does anyone have a .pdf of the rules that is printable?

I have the one in >>43578665 >>43578992 but there's blank pages and pages with halves of tables on and stuff. Like it's been converted from an eBook or something.
>>
>>43580478
>>43580216
Yes but this is retarded. A fix needs to be properly designed and incorporated into the base rules.

Along with using d20s.... that needs to be addressed properly.
>>
>>43581062
>A fix needs to be properly designed and incorporated into the base rules.
The Game has just been released. Maybe something will be added in later printings or the Lichlord expansion.

Your argument would be valid if we were talking about software or something like a living rulebook. Complaining about how this isn't in the book after it has been printed and the game - although playtested - has seen it's first wide release is inane.

>Along with using d20s.... that needs to be addressed properly.
What's to be addressed? The book tells you what dice you need how they are used and how to make the checks required for the game.
Don't really get what you are complaining about desu.

If you don't like it that's one thing, but the things you mention seem a little far fetched to me desu.
>>
>>43581189
How on Earth was this released with these glaring problems? You say it was playtested... did they not try running a campaign?

The d20 issue is surrounding the randomness of the d20 roll - very varied. Surely you've come across this on the lead adventure forum...

I really want to like this game. I'm desperate to find a decent (in print) skirmish game but its pretty hard with the critical faults FG has...
>>
>>43581291
>How on Earth was this released with these glaring problems? You say it was playtested... did they not try running a campaign?
Of course it was. Nothing is ever perfect though. Show me the game that was perfect in it's first edition, please. That aside the book makes it a point to spell out that you are supposed to houserule things that you are unhappy with. Not the best solution, but still better than nothing. That the author of the book addressed this and said he's gonna wait for more feedback to roll in is also not nothing. He's aware of that but not going to make rash decision.
Seriously, read his blog. That should answer your questions.
>The d20 issue is surrounding the randomness of the d20 roll - very varied. Surely you've come across this on the lead adventure forum...
It's swingy. Sure. But it's part of the appeal I think.
>I really want to like this game. I'm desperate to find a decent (in print) skirmish game but its pretty hard with the critical faults FG has...
Well, Osprey games has a few other smaller games, or ask /hwg/ for suggestions, there are a bunch of good rulesets to be found there too.
If FG is not what you were looking for that's hardly FG's fault... Just keep looking, you'll find something.

For example Carnevale, 1650, Alkemy, Deepwars, ShadowSea, In Her Majesty's Name, Wolsung, Malifaux, Wild West Exodus and dozens of other games are in print and offer a different experience that might be more to your liking.
>>
>>43578020
>A friend has been insisting that you can play in accordance with the rules even if you're using miniatures from a different line
Funnily enough, this is true of literally any game ever because no-one is putting a gun to you and forcing you to use the official ones
>>
I'm more an RPG player than mini games or board games, but Frostgrave seems like it might be fun and requires pretty low model investment compared to a full on war game like Warmachine or 40k.

I live around Atlanta, anyone else a Georgiafag and knows about regular games or anything?
>>
>>43581291
Yes, it's swingy.
The swinginess gives the underdog a fighting chance. Do you know what would happen if they minimized swinginess?
The person who lost the first game would get assraped for the rest of the whole campaign.

As things are now, if I have a shitty game or two and need to hire some dogs and cheap mooks because I got shitty loot or whatever, things are not 100% hopeless even if I go up against a better warband.
And even if I fucking rock and have templars and knights they're still not guaranteed to win against thugs every time. Maneuvering and clever play or sheer luck can all triumph over a stronger warband, because otherwise it would be absolute shit to play campaigns.

If you're looking for something to always play 1 on 1 standalone games in, Frostgrave is absolutely not a good choice. But that doesn't mean it needs to get fixed, because it's also a pretty great game to play narrative campaigns in with 4 or more players on the board. You know. Like you're friends. Having fun.
>>
>>43581773
> requires pretty low model investment compared to a full on war game like Warmachine or 40k.

Very true, but don't underestimate the investment in terrain to play the game.

It plays like absolute ass if you just have normal wargaming amounts of terrain, ideally you want to absolutely clutter the board with 2--4 story buildings and narrow alleys.

If you only use like, 40k levels of terrain the wizards become totally nuts and ranged goons are too good. It's also kinda shit to play with only 2 players at the table, it's way better with 4 or more warbands.
>>
>>43580764
Dude the epub is £12 https://ospreypublishing.com/frostgrave
I haven't buy it yet just because i still don't play a demo game ... But it seems so fun
>>
Frostgrave needs a ton of terrain. We've been using papercraft terrain to really fill up the board. Works great.
>>
>>43578556
Since I joined the facebook group before the games official release, the number of members has jumped massively. Just because /tg/ doesn't talk about it doesn't mean it isn't doing well.
>>
>>43581291
Anon, I hate D20 RPG systems and even I think that is retarded.
You WANT a quick and simple resolution mechanic in a Wargame that allows for a broad range of outcomes. In a skirmish game, where you want more detailed rules than in a Platoon Wargame, but less detailed ones than in a RPG, the D20 is a great die. It's mechanically nearly identical to a D100 and it allows for a broad range of modifiers, while being very satisfying to roll.

Fucking hell, the dice hipsterism is getting out of hand. It's not about the shape of the dice, it's about using the right dice for the job.
>>
>>43581693
Most other games at the competitive level require you to abide by certain parameters for the miniatures.

I've seen Warmahordes players get shit on because they showed up looking to play an army that was mostly proxies since they were testing whether or not to buy models.

I've also seen Malifaux players opt out of games if the person they're playing with isn't using the specific models they're declaring. These examples are from casual game nights, not competitive events.
>>
>>43588901
That is completely, 100% retarded though.
Fucking hell, that's GW's real legacy, I guess. The gaming community just sucked up the 100% OFFICIAL REAL WYSIWYG bullshit, even though there is no fucking reason to.
>>
>>43588937
I think Privateer Press has gotten better about it. Things are legal so long as the weapon traits are accurately represented (reach, chain weapon, etc) and the majority of the model uses PP bits. It's based on your opponent knowing what they're looking at during a game.
>>
>>43589351
It used to be that you HAD to use the base model, i.E. converting an Avatar of Menoth from another Warjack would be illegal. Did they change that?
>>
>>43589484
I think the way it works now is:
>Weapon traits must be appropriately represented.
>At least 50% of the model must use PP materials.
>At least 50% of the model must be made up of the official model.
>You cannot use emblems or design features from other IPs (i.e. can't use the 40k Chaos emblem on your Menoth models).
>>
>>43578556
It hasn't become 'popular'? Just because it hasn't displaced 40k doesn't mean it's not popular. It's just a ruleset designed more for Club style wargaming rather than tournament play American style LGS gaming.
>>
File: Northstar_Frostgrave-The-Mule-.jpg (50 KB, 720x411) Image search: [Google]
Northstar_Frostgrave-The-Mule-.jpg
50 KB, 720x411
Anybody know when the new minis from the second Nickstarter are coming out?
>>
can we actually have some discussion about the game in here?
>>
>>43578556
/tg/ is not a relevant quantifier, this place has a massive self-select bias towards GW and D&D as primary game systems.
>>
>>43581488
DESU, snowball in campaign was an issue in Mordheim too. Like, as early as 2nd and 3rd game in, if one side won by a landslide, there was little chance to catch up. It's an obvious and well-known problem that really should have been taken into account.
>>
>>43593531
Er... sure. Ask a question to get the ball rolling maybe?
>>
>>43593651
how fun is it
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.