[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: ugly monster thing.jpg (522 KB, 1600x964) Image search: [Google]
ugly monster thing.jpg
522 KB, 1600x964
>Previous Thread: >>48125930

>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_%26_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is live!(Technically the latest news is Beast&Exalted shirts, but I doubt anybody gives a fuck about that)
http://theonyxpath.com/the-deluxe-becketts-jyhad-diary-kickstarter-is-now-live/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
Top waifu?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1003x1065) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1003x1065
>>48169822

Arisen waifu.
>>
>>48169822
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
>http://theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/
http://theonyxpath.com/monday-no-tuesday-meeting-notes-monday-meeting-notes/ *
>>
There are no waifus in the CofD or the WoD. Everything is too sad for waifus.
>>
>>48169966
Sad waifus are prime waifu material.

In terms of waifuness, I would rank the splats...

1. Woofs (for loyalty and ferocity)
2. Demons (For Mental Organisms Designed Only for Waifu)
3. Mages (Quirky)
4. Vampires (For making them feel feels again)
5. Changelings (Only this low because PTSD isn't sexy)
6. Prommies (Custom built doll waifu)
>>
>>48170557
>PTSD isn't very sexy
Have you never played Katawa Shoujo?
>>
File: Max_Smile.png (706 KB, 672x986) Image search: [Google]
Max_Smile.png
706 KB, 672x986
She's an Arcanthus, right?
>>
>>48169822
What would happen to a human if he ate that thing?
>>
>>48170583

I saw a compelling argument that the entire game is her Mystery Play.
>>
>>48170583
Child of the Hour
>>
>>48170582
Yeah. The only girl in there that wasn't a train wreck to deal with was drills.
>>
>>48170582
Pretty sure that Scarface is worst girl, m8
>>
Tzimisce waifus
>>
File: Black Mage Laws.jpg (90 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
Black Mage Laws.jpg
90 KB, 550x400
>>48170644
>Drills
>Not selecting comfort
Oh Anon. . .
===========
On the subject of World of Darkness however, I'm still writing out a little game set in a rural area. Any suggestions on what to do? It's kind of Rural Oregon/Washington-ish, lots of little towns and four big ones (Biggest town has 21,000 people).

Pic possibly related
>>
>>48170776
Living in Washington... I like to imply games are in Eastern Oregon. I mean, I went to school in Eastern Washington, and between Central and Eastern Washington there are a ton of small towns. But I guess Oregon has actual ghost towns, places that actually dried up and are still sitting there because logging and such dried up on them. That blows my mind and always seems like good fertile ground.

But for the area in general. We are considered prime big-foot territory. We did have the Green River Killer. Plus Washington is great for over-privileged and paid bumpkins since our minimum wage is so high.
>>
>>48170776
>Black Mage Laws

I think they prefer to be called Mages of Color
>>
Where do you guys go to for character concept inspiration?

I really want to play in a CofD game, dunno which splat, and haven't started looking for games to join because I can't think of anything I'm excited to play. I kind of want to play a Gangrel that wants to become the physical embodiment of The Beast, and eventually be able to transform into a fuckhuge chimera-like monstrosity, but I have no idea after that.

I just want to plat, and I've no idea what to play. Any wisdom is appreciated.
>>
>>48171325

You're asking us to do the best part of the game for you?

I usually build from a core meta-idea; my favorite Changeling came from "what if the core PTSD metaphor of the game was viewed through a military veteran rather than an abuse survivor," while my current Scion was "how can I semi-plausibly make a classic myth as clear as possible." Sometimes it's a mechanical question (what does a potent Shadow Name and Destiny 5 do to someone?) or desire (I want to make a Gangrel who is a Mental character).

tl;dr find a novel core idea or question or build out. If all else fails, steal an existing character and take them in a new direction; I did this for Scar from The Lion King and had a blast.
>>
>>48171623

Queer, not clear. I hate posting from my phone.
>>
>>48171623

No, I'm not asking you to do the best part for me. I'm asking for advice on direction for thinking up a new concept. Like, the stuff that was in your post. Thank you for the input, I'll keep trying.
>>
>>48171325
I tend toward characters based loosely on one or more tv show characters
EG, right now I'm playing a VtM Vampire who's a combination of Hal from Being Human and Cassidy from Preacher(I read up on the comic to get more ideas, even)
Alternatively, like atamajakki said, figure out a good core idea for the character, and build from there
EG, I had a character in a Werewolf game a while ago who started from the idea of being a hipster with a guitar who only knows how to play Wonderwall. He became a very different character, by the time the game actually happened, though, and ended up becoming the Pack's self-proclaimed Alpha.
>>
>>48171705

Sometimes, If I can't think of anything, I hit 'random' on TV Tropes a couple of times, and see how I can combine that into a character concept.
>>
I just read through all the previews for hurt locker since I was after explosives rules.

Most hype 2e book, all books.

That said, how does armour (and firearms defence) apply to things like this in 2e, where you have a single source dealing both Agg, autolethal and lethal?
>>
>>48171961

Armor stops as much of the worst type of damage that it can.

So downgrade lethal to bashing, then absorb Agg, then leathal, then bashing.
>>
>>48172054
While I realise this is a little fringe, does this then mean Armor > Durability once more?

Because Agg bypasses durability. (I think this is still true in 2e?).

If so, how might one apply Armor, rather than durability, to an object?

I was simulating some anti-tank situations was all.
>>
>>48170644
What? Drills was a shitty person. Also, probably had brain problems.

>>48171961
Firearms defense only applies if you're magical.
>>
>>48171961
>Most hype 2e book, all books.

>not Dark Eras Companion, Thousand Years Of Night, or the new Promethean, Changeling, and Hunter cores
>>
I can't remember, is Thousand Years of Night the VtR Methusela/Elder sourcebook?
>>
>>48172589
Well yeah, and who do you think I'm going to have fight a tank?

What I'm saying is, does magic firearms defence only apply to the rolled component? Does it at all?

>>48172614
Also, I could easily live without these. They're NICE and all, but they don't add nearly as much to a typical campaign.

Changeling, I really just don't know whether it's going to be good. And as it stands, Hurt Locker may well be a better Hunter book than Hunter 2e core ends up being.
>>
>>48172802

The very same!
>>
In that case, get out of my brain damn you! :) Not sure about Promethean. I didn't get into 1e Promethean. But TYofN, Hunter, Changeling, Dark Eras Companion. Chomping at the bit.
>>
Is any of the WoD fiction not completely terrible?
>>
>>48173078
You actually read thise? I thought they were page fillers.
>>
>>48173078
The mage fiction anthology is pretty great, actually. Best story doesn't even have a mage in it.
>>
>>48173216
The one re-used from Intruders?
>>
>>48173266
Yuuup. "The wheel" is soooooo good.
>>
>>48173273
Hmm.. I think there are some mages at the very end...
>>
>>48173278
>>48173273
Oh, wait, the Wheel? Yeah. I was thinking about the other one from Intruders.
Now that you mention it, yeah, the Wheel is awesome. Reads like one of Stephen King's better short stories.
>>
>>48173282
Also reminds me of Lovecraft, the whole unseen horror bit. But, yeah. Love that one.
>>
>>48172802

Oh, awesome.
Imperial Mysteries is my favorite Mage supplement, and I loved Autumn Nightmares

Did any other lines have a similar book?
>>
>>48173306

Equinox Road comes close. So does Book of the Deceived, technically.
>>
>>48173294
When Stephen king is (ok, was, he doesn't write short stories like that any more) at his best, he's emulating Lovecraft, but with actual writing skill.
>>
>>48173322
>Equinox Road

Yeah, that's the one I meant.

Which line is Book of the Decieved for? Mummy?
>>
>>48173349

It's a Mummy book from an antagonist group's perspective, but those antagonists happen to be half made of the insane shards of the divine necromancer-priests the Arisen served while alive. It has some neat insights into the underlying mythology of the game.

There's also Dreams of Avarice, which is a bunch of religious texts and journal entries from a NPC who has basically peeked behind the curtain of the universe.

Both are amazing.
>>
>>48173408
>It has some neat insights into the underlying mythology of the game.

This is my main problem with Mummy, I have avoided reading much about it because not knowing/Remembering stuff seems to be a core element of the game.
But I might as well spoil myself, it's not like I will ever fing a gaming group willing to run it...
>>
>>48173452

I don't get that complaint. You can know things your character doesn't; every single game and setting does that, too.
>>
>>48173337
I like Lovecraft's prose a lot. But it's not amazing. Good at building suspense, though.
>>
>>48173616
Sure, but he couldn't write people worth damn. Which is a shame, since most of his stories are framed as recollections.
>>
File: Crossover Games.jpg (2 MB, 2764x4096) Image search: [Google]
Crossover Games.jpg
2 MB, 2764x4096
So despite the fact that it's the one that requires the most work from me, Suicide Squad seems to be the game that gets the most interest for my group.
Those of you who don't spend your lives in these threads might be asking.
>What is the Suicide Squad game?

The players will take the role of monsters under the employ of Taskforce: VALKYRIE who are implanted with cranial bombs, have their phylacteries under lock and key, are mystically bound, or otherwise restrained from general mayhem and used to hunt monsters worse than they are.
The twist to this crossover game is that it will only use Hunter and the core CofD book.

How do I provide some guidelines and standardization to all of this to make my life a little easier when it comes to creating these character templates?
>>
>>48173902

Will the kill targets be provided, or are they doing the investigations too?
What will the relationship with their handler be like?
Any motivations besides survival?
>>
>>48174020
Haven't actually decided any of that yet!
Ideally they'll be shitty people who aren't entirely evil (otherwise they wouldn't be useful as assets).
I'm planning for it to mostly be a standard Conspiracy tier Hunter game, where they're going to be jaunting from place to place and living in motels while trying to solve whatever problem it is that they're sent to solve.

Haven't really thought of how to handle their handling. I know in the movie, Rick Flag is following them on missions and watching over them to make sure they don't kill civilians or whatever (though the trailers also make it seem like they're going up against a city wide problem or something), and the Assault on Arkham animated movie (which is most of my Suicide Squad experience) just has The Wall on intercom threatening to blow their heads off.

I'm hesitant to give them someone super hands on as a handler, mostly because having an STPC type leader character means the players pick their noses as the NPC does all the social work for them. I may have one player take that role, either as someone who's human or otherwise science augmented instead of a prisoner, or just have them be someone who's supernatural but wants to do good.
>>
How do you make it so that Manipulation/Presence no longer encroach on each other's territory?
>>
>>48174883
>>48174838
It isn't, and I have no idea why people think it is. You might as well merge Strength and Stamina.
>>
>>48175668
There is actually no situation in which you shouldn't be able to use Manipulation in place of Presence. The two most common arguments for Presence are crowds and non-lies, but having to use Presence just because you're lying to more than one person is moronic, and having a harder time convincing someone with the truth instead of a lie is also incredibly stupid.
>>
>>48175793
>having a harder time convincing someone with the truth instead of a lie is also incredibly stupid.
Not really. For some people that's easier.
>>
>>48175811
Persuasion, Intimidation and Socialize can all use either Presence or Manipulation to achieve the same goals. Meanwhile, Manipulation gets to be the primary attribute of Subterfuge, Streetwise and Empathy, while Presence only gets the niche Expression and Animal Ken. The divide is not only pointless, but actually somewhat disadvantageous for people whose characters lean towards Presence.

I think the "truthful leader/deceptive manipulator" divide is better left up to roleplaying and how people use their gifts of charisma rather than this arbitrary mechanical divide.
>>
>>48176010
Athletics, can use Dexterity or Stamina, while Dexterity covers Drive, Firearms, Larceny, and Stealth. Strength covers only Brawl and Weaponry, but you can take a merit to change that.

Intelligence covers most Academics, Computers, Medicine, Occult, Politics, or Science rolls when you're researching, while Wits covers the rest and when you're in-the-field.

Everything isn't going to fit neatly, and Power/Finesse isn't really an arbitrary divide to begin with.
You're also ignoring things like the fact that Presence has less chance of blowing up in your face because you're lying to people.

In general, I just find it a lot easier to go with your gut on which Attribute+Skill combination works best.

>Resolve+Academics for research
What?
u wut book?
Why would they make that a dicepool? That isn't what it was in 1e. Although I guess that does give Resolve something to roll.
I do like that the combat skills are given non-combat roll examples in this section. Although "Identify a fighting style" used to be a Wits roll. Or at least I could have sworn it was.
>>
>>48176290
>You're also ignoring things like the fact that Presence has less chance of blowing up in your face because you're lying to people.
This isn't a fact. You don't have to lie when using Manipulation, and there's nothing that states you have to, with the exception of when you're using Subterfuge to lie.
>>
>>48176514
>>48176566
I think you two done-diddly-derp-derped.
>>
>>48176590
You saw nothing.
>>
>>48176619
I saw everything.
>>
>>48176619
>>48176514
>>48176566
Nice job senpai
>>
I had a question since one of my friends is GMing a Beast crossover game. He wanted to create a villain that could put actual fear into a Beast and he asked me for help. I was reading the Beast book and Heroes seem to be a minor template for mortals therefore it could stack with other minor templates.

Therefore I created The Gourmet, a Legend Slasher made by the Faithful of Shulpae in their own twist of "Family Dinner".

"Don't worry there's enough calamari Makara and Ugallu Katsu to go around. Let us pray in joyous choir as we accept the offerings Shulpae. Let us rejoice as we become one with the gods of palatable fear!"

It is a hidden tradition within The Faithful of Shulpae, something even most neophytes hear in whisper. Gods who are the embodiment of fear walk among us and carry it's very essence in it's flesh. The legend goes that a prophet of the order had a dream in which an eldritch god appeared before him. They gazed upon the gaping maw of the Beast they did not fear it, in fact they saw the perfection of their worship in the "Gods". A hunger that can only be sated by devouring a person in it's entirety, mind, body, and soul to bring yourself closer into the realm of the Gods. In worship of this apex being The Gourmet was created, a mortal who would hunt Beasts for the Faithful of Shulpae and bring their meat to meet the faithful at their own "family dinner".

I'm working on the finer details but his "Tale" is similar to that of the Wendigo in which whenever a Shulpae hunter is the target of a Beast's nightmare, especially if it makes them a Hero, they begins to seek out the "Gods of palatable fear". After killing the beast and feeding from it they will become the next Gourmet. The frailty is that after tasting the flesh of a Beast everything else taste's foul and is actually toxic to the Gourmet. Force feeding or tricking the Gourmet into eating non-beast material will cause Aggravated damage and it must feed once a day or take an agg damage.
>>
Demon campaign.
Japan 80s-90s.
BBEG - demon, CEO of a game developing company. He captures some "spirits" (Its actually Beasts, players just dont figure its out yet) and trap them inside master copies of games. His plan is to use their digital copies as a training groud to bruteforce easiest way to combat beasts.
So we are close to an end and in the end is obviously videogame boss fight inside weird cyber-dreamspace. "This is not even my final form" clishe is allready there.
What videogame boses you personaly want (Or do not want in that case) to come alive out of your catridge?
>>
>>48177026
Obviously the answer is Giygas
>>
>>48176975
>if it makes them a Hero
But that's not a thing that happens.
>>
>>48173902
Get the Mortal Remains book. It's a Hunter-specific game that gives a lot of insight on how humans view monsters. And I can't remember if it's Mortal Remains, Witch Finders, or both that has unique Hunter templates that allow you to apply supernatural dread powers.
>>
>>48177104
I'm using Mortal Remains, and tweaking their monster template a bit (instead of Potency allowing them to have and spend more Willpower, they'll have a normal "9+X/X per turn" energy meter). I don't remember a unique Hunter template, though (unless you meant Hunter the gameline, not Hunter the character type).

Since everyone already knows it's me, I might as well link this post:
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/hunter-the-vigil/914553-help-with-simplified-templates-for-players?p=915538#post915538
>>
Trying to decide where to set a game. I want it set in a moderately sized city about an hour from a large, nationally recognized city. It's also a Demon game, seems a lot of them are going around. The reason I'm thinking this is that I want it to start out in that there's a few large Agencies set up in the larger city, but not much as far as Demon existence in the satellite city, so when the ring arrives on the scene of the satellite city, an Agency approaches them to investigate some things the G-M seems to be starting up there. Doesn't start them off directly under the thumb of an Agency, but if they do the work for the Agency allows them to have an ally there.

I just have no idea what these cities will be. I'm considering going the comic book route and just making up my own cities, but then I still have to make a decision on the region.
>>
>>48177518
>I'm considering going the comic book route and just making up my own cities
I prefer that.
>but then I still have to make a decision on the region.
Simpsons never did. Well, they did, but were intentionally inconsistent. That kind of thing isn't ever going to come up. Unless you're like me.

I had a WWI hospital and a Speakeasy in the same city. My player got pissed and acted like he suddenly wouldn't know the firearms laws or something, and that not knowing would be important. Not that he used firearms, or they ever came up, or it would have mattered. Not that he knew beforehand.
>>
>>48177627
>I had a WWI hospital and a Speakeasy in the same city
Uh, what's the issue with that?
>>
>>48176975

Overall I think this would be a Legend Slasher that would also be a Hero. Here is an overall overlook of how it would work out.

Life: Familial
Legend: Predator
Mental Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 4, Resolve 3
Physical Attributes: Strength 3 Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 3
Mental Skills: Occult 4 , Crafts 3 (Cooking), Investigation 2, Medicine 1

Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Drive 1, Stealth 3, Survival 2, Weaponry 5 (Culinary Knives)
Social Skills: Animal Ken 2, Expression (Oration) 2, Persuasion 2, Streetwise 2

Merits: Contacts (Shulpae Sects) 1, Danger Sense, Fast Reflexes 3, Iron Skin 2, Fighting Style: Spetznaz Knife Fighting 4, Iron Stomach 2, Murder Expert 3,

Gifts: Legendary Hunter, Loremaster, Open Gate, Chosen Weapon (Chef's knife made of the bones, teeth, etc of devoured beasts)

Talents: Working the Room; Strength from the Tales:

The Gourmet can use these talents when fighting multiple beasts or their "kin" in battle. Whenever a Faithful of Shulpae or The Gourmet feeds on the flesh of a beast The Gourmet has prepared, The Gourmet may recover willpower, health, etc per feeding.

Frailties: Nothing but the Mission; Trapped in the Story: The Gourmet cannot feed off the meat of anything other than beasts. If it feeds or is force fed non-beast materials then it takes an Agg damage per item consumed. Also The Gourmet must feed at least once a day on the flesh of Beasts or take an Aggravated Damage that cannot be healed until feeding.

It's Life is Familial in which it regains willpower when it stops to help other Faithful of Shulpae with their endeavors, especially when it's between hunting a beast and saving the Faithful.

It's Legend is Predator: The Gourmet lives to hunt and consume beasts to stay closer to the gods. It regains a willpower as it hunts down a beast with ravenous zeal.

Health: 10
Willpower: 6
Size: 5
Speed: 12
Defense: 7
Initiative: 10
Integrity: 3
>>
>>48177657
Those two things didn't happen in the same country.

>>48177710
I would suggest not using the actual Slasher template, but then again this is for a combat villain, so five dots doesn't really matter.
>>
>>48170557
changelings have Catgirls and Vamps tend to kill their lovers or get them killed (moreso than others). I'd switch the two around
>>
>>48173078

A Hunger Like Fire is still one of the best CofD/WoD novels ever. Some of the older VtM anthologies had stories by Robert Bloch and Harlan Ellison, so I assume those are good.
>>
CofD Inferno when
>>
>>48178753
Looking at their policies of not making old books out-dated? Never.
Then again, just looking at their production schedule: Never.

With some luck, CofD work will pick up when WW starts publishing 1WoD stuff, since that seems to take up a lot of work time.
>>
>>48178817

If we do get any update to blue books, it'll be in books around more general themes and less "X book, second edition". Hurt Locker's about violence in the CofD but also serves as an update to the Armory book and some portions of Second Sight.
>>
So what's stopping a vampire from just not paying back a favor?
>>
>>48180003
Same thing that happens in real life when you don't.
>>
>>48178753

Maybe we'll see it in Dark Eras 2? Skinchangers and Second Sight got in.
>>
>>48180113

Everyone gets really catty and pissy?
>>
>>48180653
Yep. Now imagine ageless predators being catty and pissy.
>>
>>48180999

What's the Vampire equivalent of the passive-aggressive note on the fridge?
>>
>>48181091
Dead ghoul's head infront of the coffin?
>>
>>48181091
Probably sending a childe to beat up the other guy's ghouls.
Forced expenditure of Vitae, shows that you are angry, but nothing that really matters happens.
>>
>>48181091
Waking up at the bottom of a river
>>
>>48170644
>train wreck to deal with
>lily
nah m8
>>
>>48177518

Baltimore to Washington DC is about an hour drive.

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS697US697&q=baltimore+to+dc+drive+time&oq=balti+drive+time&gs_l=serp.3.0.0i7i30l10.15637.16707.0.19200.5.5.0.0.0.0.93.417.5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.5.416.OpgY_zZIrm8
>>
>>48181821

Also
>San Jose to San Francisco
>Fort Worth to Dallas
>>
Which of the fighting merits are the strongest?
>>
>>48182701

Used to be Combat Marksmanship. Dunno what it is now.
>>
>>48182701
For unarmed combat, probably Close Quarters Combat.
>>
>>48182701
>he doesn't ban fighting styles
What are you, a munchkin?
>>
>>48183650
>She limits character options
>>
>>48182701
For whom?
>>
>>48182701
Depends on the situation. I quite like Kindred Duelling, myself.
>>
>>48183650
Oh no! More variety in combat! Anything but more options!
>>
Doesn't anyone like armed defense?

>5 guys jump your high defense character
>you disarm them all using a old mans cane
>they're stupefied
>>
>>48183650
I ban all merits
>>
>>48185679
Goddamn.

I mean I guess I could see that working from a "your backstory is what matters" point of view.
>>
>>48183650
>>48185679
I ban all character traits, that way there's no minmaxing.
>>
>>48185756
In my games you only get 1 attribute point and 2 skill points
>>
>>48185679
Sounds fair. I think contacts and allies should be roleplayed and resources be actual money you earn and spend with your actions instead of vague "you have 2 resource dots" nonsense.
>>
>>48185781
In my games, we don't use dice.
Success or failure is based on group consensus.
>>
>>48185872
Ah! We use mouse skulls instead.
>>
So I'm looking at Demon: The Fallen. What would a demon actually know of the supernatural world? Is Cain and his kindred just something they know or did it get knocked out of their heads?
>>
>>48181907
>>48181821
Thanks, and San Jose/San Fran might really work with the whole Silicon Valley thing.
>>
>>48185902
We just all sit around and try to contact the ghost of Alister Crowley

>tfw they're stuck on the oWoD mindset and 2e errata just came out....
>>
I'm currently making a Tremere for a cwod game. In our game (running in Westchester, NY) the Tremere have settled down in Peekskill and kind of become a separate entity from the Camarilla. I've been having trouble creating a fun personality/backstory for the character that isn't just "magic book guy." Any advice or suggestions? All I know is that he is a bit of a Tremere Supremacist.
>>
>>48186081
Think outside the box of 'magic book guy'. Play a Tremere who focuses on the clan and their supremacy through finding old lore, books, and artifacts like Tremere Indiana Jones; play a character who specializes in manipulating other clans into backing them, giving them money etc. Play a Tremere who is unusual; someone who was, say, a minor Russian noble and alchemist and attempts to make the Tremere strong through creation of blood alchemy.
>>
>>48185849
Why are you playing CofD, then?
>>
>>48186081
Think about more than his tools, which is honestly all Tremere powers are.
Who is he, who was he, what does he want, and why does he want it.
>>
>>48186194
That's been there since day 1 of oWoD my dude.

Some people enjoy having a less abstract form of money.

I understand the reason for homebrew, especially since Resources 5 has been broken for ages.
>>
>>48186242
>less abstract form of money
Helpful in my game.
Remembering pounds, pennies, shillings, ha'pennies and so forth, and how much everything should have cost, would be exhausting.
>>
>>48186174
I like the idea of blood alchemy, and his heritage during his life playing a role in his unlife. I'm not sure I'll do Russian though, because I can't pull that accent, and I would feel wrong claiming to be Russian without trying!
>>
>>48186242
>I understand the reason for homebrew, especially since Resources 5 has been broken for ages.
Money period is broken in games.

I only allow characters to take traits they'd reasonably have, and I veto concepts that would involve things like Resources or Status 5
>>
File: 1308067988899.jpg (37 KB, 391x364) Image search: [Google]
1308067988899.jpg
37 KB, 391x364
>>48185679
Man at first I thought this was stupid but I've been staring at this message for like 10 minutes and the more I think about it the more I want to do it...
>>
>>48187129
Why? It'd kind of be boring. Without merits, most characters are going to feel samey. If you're playing supernatural characters, it also means the only way they have to really differentiate themselves is their powers, and makes non-supernatural stuff almost pointless.
>>
File: wod malkavians.png (319 KB, 480x882) Image search: [Google]
wod malkavians.png
319 KB, 480x882
>>48187211
Just have that stuff in the backstory notes and let the players tailor their characters without having to worry about them "having a stat for it"

It makes their skills all the more important because the fixer who knows everyone is gonna need the social skills, the fighter needs to have good fighting skills, etc. etc.

I mean 5th edition D&D got rid of feats and it worked well for them.

maybe I'm just up too late at night and the rules-lite ST inside my head is starting to take over.
>>
>>48187363
>I mean 5th edition D&D got rid of feats and it worked well for them.
What? Did it? How does that even work? There's even less variety to a D&D character than there is in WoD.
>>
>>48187414
Feats are still there but they're noted as being optional (I'm playing a game that doesn't have em right now)

2 ways to vary your character:
Background - what your characters life has been up to this point (determines skills and proficiencies)
Class type - each class has about three different archetypes to choose from when they reach level 3 that give them special abilities. They're like flavors of paladin/fighters/rogue.
>>
>>48187363
This is how you end up with Old Man Henderson though
>>
>>48187414
>>48187363
It didn't completely get rid of them. It made it so different classes get a +1 to an attribute of the player's choice at various levels(instead of everyone getting it every 4th level), and you can choose to trade in the +1 for a Feat, which cover much broader ground than previous editions to give you reason to actually take them.
Instead, the character variety comes from every class having a choice to make at or before third level, more or less equivalent to Archetypes in Pathfinder.
>>
>>48187514
That was that guy that won at CoC, right?
>>
>>48187637
By having a impossibly huge back story that justified him having crazy things at his disposal. Yeah.
>>
>>48187655
I don't think it actually justified anything outright--it was just so insanely long that he knew the GM would never read it, so he kept doing crazy shit and justifying it with "there's an explanation for this in my backstory, its fine"
>>
>>48187912
I recall there was a decent amount of things that were actually in there, how much of it actually got used and how much of what was claimed was actually there is only known to Henderson's player.
>>
May I please have help finding a specific devotion for 1st Edition nWoD Vampire?

I only remember what it does, and some of the disciplines in it. It took Protean, Resilience, Nightmare and maybe a fourth discipline, and basically allowed you to transform into a chimeric monstrosity.
>>
File: Safe-Hearts.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Safe-Hearts.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Should CofD have something like this?
>>
>>48188738
I'm sick of this safe space and non binary gender meme.
>>
>>48188760
The only people who should talk about non binaryness are mages with life 4 arcana

Demons are asexual and have the decency to not blab about it every other minute

And changelings generally tend to keep their Otherkin shit to themselves unless there's some magical pledging to be done.
>>
>>48188760
>several of my friends have actual PTSD
>literally everyone I associate with is some shade of queer

Fuck off, anon.
>>
>>48188803
Gays are fine what would we do without our werewolf players?
>>
>>48188817
Be safe.
>>
>>48188803
Do you give a trigger warning before your characters go into combat or do you just say something along the lines of "guns were fired and people died"?
>>
>>48188760
>>48188784
I'm sick of this "I'm so edgy, I don't care about anyone else, it doesn't bother me so it shouldn't bother anyone else" meme. We get it, you've never really had to deal with any sort of adversity other than being a nerd.

>The only people who should talk about non binaryness are mages with life 4 arcana
You're confusing sex with gender. It only takes Life 2 (3 for something real). Gender isn't binary. Sex isn't actually binary either. Also a Mastigos could rewrite your gender identity. Or make you think you're a cuttlefish trapped in a gross humanoid body.

>>48188834
But anon, the danger is why it's so hot.
>>
>>48188880
Well I'm sorry I don't play games about grotesque horror violence and blood orgies with people who get upset by them!
>>
>>48188880
>Sex isn't actually binary either.
Yeah, there's Male, Female, and Mistake.
>>
>>48188738
Lmao gays
>>
>>48188880
>Or make you think you're a cuttlefish trapped in a gross humanoid body.
this made me laugh, thank you anon.
>>
>>48188912
Aww, I'm sorry your parents called you a mistake, anon.

>>48188903
Anon, you don't have to have been a rape victim or suffering from PTSD to be grossed out by that. Did you even read the pdf, or are you having a kneejerk reaction? I mean, if I started talking to a random friend about this stuff, they'd probably tell me to stop and that it's gross.
Everyone has different levels of tolerance for sensitive subject matter like violence and sexual content. It's a very adult thing to do if you talk about that and go over how comfortable people are.
And if you really are comfortable with everything, well, good for you, we're all very proud. But not everyone is, and you should be accepting of that, because I guarantee there are things that you don't like, and you probably would appreciate it if people respected your boundaries in those situations.

>>48188990
I mean, you're all long and you have tentacles, but they're rigid, and they're short and boney and at the end of longer tentacles that are fat and don't bend the right way. And your eyes! They only see in all the wrong colours. Your skin is this nasty pigment that won't change no matter how much you try to flash or strobe it.
>>
>>48189025
>I mean, you're all long and you have tentacles, but they're rigid, and they're short and boney and at the end of longer tentacles that are fat and don't bend the right way. And your eyes! They only see in all the wrong colours. Your skin is this nasty pigment that won't change no matter how much you try to flash or strobe it.
Now THAT is Headology, it's roughly the shame thing and making someone hop around on all fours and beg to be turned into a frog.
>>
>>48189040
>making someone hop around on all fours and beg to be turned into a frog.
I'm pretty sure that's someone's fetish. I mean, I have a friend who made a homebrew setting around her fetish for pseudo-British people demeaningly calling her a Colonial.
>>
>>48189025
Actually it was in response because I assumed you were the PTSD friends guy from (>>48188803). I feel like generally if that sort of topic is talked about in the core book and you don't feel comfortable reading that then maybe you shouldn't be playing the game.

It's not like I'm the type of person to use a black dog sourcebook on the first people I meet but I'm not going to discuss boundaries before a game that's known for being graphic.

And if someone does something that I find offensive I call them out on it and move on with the show like a human being. If they're the type of people I hang out with and RP then they must know me to some degree.
>>
How do i get more steam into my Vampire game?
At the moment it's very night-to-night, and there are only so many Ghouls that can co rogue, Sabbat packs that can infiltrate the City and Ancillae schemes that can come uncovered, so at times it gets a bit stale, but i don't really know how to deal with it...
>>
>>48189118
Have you read damnation city? It's all about running that vampire politics intrigue game. There's so many political offices and room for people to piss each other off.
>>
>>48189118
Play Requiem instead of that shit.
>>
>>48189111
>I feel like generally if that sort of topic is talked about in the core book and you don't feel comfortable reading that then maybe you shouldn't be playing the game.
Again, everyone has different 'triggers', PTSD or not. I have friends who love vampires and shit but get *incredibly* uncomfortable when it comes to things like Saw movies. I have a friend who'd probably be interested in things like this, but actually has been the victim of sexual assault. And I also know someone who is sexually aroused by the Aliens franchise and the thoughts of having someone remove her organs, but gets ridiculously uncomfortable when it comes to spiders. And also torture porn, I think? Hell, I know someone who has a visceral PTSD reaction to mentions of feet, including the unit of measurement.

The game is meant to be graphic and that's exactly WHY it pays to know what makes people uncomfortable. I mean, jeez, my mom loves action movies and she couldn't watch Game of Thrones for the longest time because Bran got pushed out the tower. He didn't die and they didn't show his back all twisted and broken or anything, but it still was too much for her.

That PDF I linked is the creator of Monsterhearts--a game with a lot of sexual themes--talking about how it pays to talk these things through or be willing to politely stop the game and say what makes you uncomfortable. Like when the flesh eating serial killer tries to rape someone because that's what they do when they go into their Darkest Self.

>>48189118
Strix.
>"But this is Masquerade"
The game isn't the boss of you. Strix.
>>
>>48189179
>mean, jeez, my mom loves action movies and she couldn't watch Game of Thrones for the longest time because Bran got pushed out the tower.

How unfortunate anon, I'm sure it would've been a even bigger record seller if it had made a trigger warning about possible child murder. Maybe even a warning about your favorite characters dying!

How irresponsible of the writers.
>>
>>48189198
Why you have to be such AN ASSHOLE?! CAN'T YOU SEE THERE ARE PEOPLE SUFFERING OUT THERE

FUCKING DELETE THIS

. . .
>>
>>48189263
I'm sorry.
>>
Party is astronaughts on a space station. One of the new arrival is secretely a Demon and his gonna crush that baby into ocean, because there is two "malfunction" modules nobody visit for a two years for different reason and its infrastructure.

Soo... Players dont know about this (only broken modules\do not enter stuff). How do i introduce demon in group of new arrivals without obviously pointing at the guy supernatural quirks?
>>
>>48189475
Introduce them to the god machine instead, if they don't figure out there's a demon among them then just sit there with a stupid grin on your face because of the comedy of the situation.
>>
Promethean the Created 2e when?
>>
>>48190052
Never
>>
demon the fallen v20 when?
>>
>>48190052

Within 6 months

>>48190275

Within 6 years
>>
I'm currently hammering together brief drafts of some of the areas near Hong Kong for my Forsaken game. I'm wanting to do something a bit different with this Chronicle - usually, Werewolf is a very, very localised game focused around the pack's territory, but I'd like to go with a bit more travel and investigation of the wider setting and metaphysics this time. Plus Hong Kong is a nice hub to do that sort of thing from. I'm likely to send the pack off to Macau in the next couple of sessions so that they can ask a high-ranking Iron Master who has actually met Red Wolf about the appearance of Death Wolf in Hong Kong (and what the new pack member being an Embodiment of the Firstborn for Death Wolf may imply).

The Iron Master in question actually *is* a part of Red Wolf - I'm running with the idea that Red Wolf has currently 'broken apart' into various pieces that are now running around as powerful spirits or inhabiting Iron Master elders.

So far I have Macau and Shenzen; I'm also intending to cover the rest of Guangdong/Canton, Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam.
>>
>>48190393

Macau – The Zealous Warlord's Domain

Often referred to as the 'darker sibling' by Hong Kong Uratha, Macau has a sinister reputation amongst werewolves – even despite it being a Forsaken stronghold. Beneath its seemingly placid surface, Macau is a place of nightmares. From 1966 onwards, the notorious Blood Talon warlord 'Silver Claw' Yin fought a sustained and bloody campaign against the Pure, claiming to have been given divine visions by the Moon and instructions from the Lunes. After just ten years, the last Pure were annihilated or driven out of the city. In 1987, however, the Pure attempted to return. In the three decades since, Macau has seen repeated attacks by the Pure, particularly under the leadership of the Fire-Touched sibling Elders Sheu-Fuh and Shunyan, although they have not yet regained a foothold for more than a few months at a time. Its occult landscape is a mess, scarred by brutality, madness and the mostly-unchecked spiritual off-flow of the mass of humanity crammed into the region. Other things have also been drawn in or caught up by the violence; it is said there is an alchemist amongst the Iron Masters of Macau who knows how to render sorcerers down for their power, while both Bone Shadows and Ivory Claws are said to have some means of producing vampires which they use as disposable agents and killers in their shadow war. Both Destroyer Wolf and Red Wolf are said to have taken an active interest in events in Macau since the 60s, but there is a much, much older shrine to Red Wolf in the city that the Forsaken defend fanatically – some rumours allege it is Pangaean in origin. For now, Yin continues to rule her Protectorate with an iron fist.
>>
>>48190403

Shenzen – The City Without History

Shenzen is a mirror of Hong Kong's success story – a busy port, major financial centre and huge city butting against its northern border. Shenzen exploded from a small town in the 80s to the urban behemoth of today, and the the Uratha of the province know full well its growth was down to more than just the PRC labelling it a Special Economic Zone. Something has long been awry with the very fabric of reality in Shenzen and someone, or something, caused the expansion of the city by stealing it from a history that never happened, a Shenzen that never was, and overlaying it into this world. The layout of the city possesses innumerable minor pieces of occult geometry, coming together into some sort of vast chronal siphon that forces this reality to match the Other Shenzen. For years, the 'city without history' and the time spirits that flock there served as a major attraction for Uratha seers and secret-seekers of both Pure and Forsaken, with bitter fighting breaking out across its prime territories, but the Cull have moved in in recent years – and established a major Deep Shadow monastery as a bastion. Now this major land route into Hong Kong is threatened, the Cull bringing in more adherents as the months progress and the Uratha of the City of Nine Dragons watching uneasily from over the border. Word has it that the Thousand Steel Teeth are gathering their own war parties, determined to defend their supply lines that run through Hong Kong and Shenzen out into the wider world. The new city of Shenzen may be about to become a battleground for a particularly vicious phase of the war with the Cull.
>>
>>48169822
>Top waifu?

Assamite qts are best qts
>>
File: fatima.jpg (75 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
fatima.jpg
75 KB, 650x650
>>48190530
Sure, Fatima's certainly the prettiest Assamite woman.
>>
File: Tzimisce as Fuck.jpg (281 KB, 912x1000) Image search: [Google]
Tzimisce as Fuck.jpg
281 KB, 912x1000
>>48170720
Are you a chair?
>>
>>48171325
Gay Wizard
>>
>>48190583
This chair is an eyesore.
>>
>>48190583
Those are some mighty yaoi hands
>>
>>48170599
>>48170583

that was possibly mine, or hit upon the same themes, but tl;dr --

> _Arcadia_
bay
>lighthouse _tower_ in the beginning
>>
>>48170599
>>48170583
What's her name-signing then?

My GM runs name-signings differently, you're not required to exactly write your name, but you must do some sort of indelible mark on the Tower. One of our players tore out a part of iron from the Mastigos tower and reappeared in the Fallen with a piece of it (functionally identical to a soulstone) in his hand.
>>
>>48173902
Make the PCs all Slashers.
>>
>>48189179
>Hell, I know someone who has a visceral PTSD reaction to mentions of feet, including the unit of measurement.

No you don't. Anyone who says that is abusing the severity of PTSD to make themselves a special snowflake. It's disgusting to people with actual mental illness triggered by things that remind them of real trauma (like combat) for whiny millennial children to appropriate it for their garbage headgames.
>>
Question about spell stacking.

I understand you can't stack spells that do the same thing e.g. if you have a spell that gives you +1 strength and a spell that gives you +3 the +3 take priority.

But what if you stack spells that do the same thing but with different mechanics.

Could I buff myself with a Life 3 spell so I have maximum mundane movement of 15, a Space 1 spell to increase that to 20, a Time 3 spell to improve my initiative and multiply my speed to 100, a Forces 3 spell to exponentially increase my speed to 3200.

They're all increasing my speed but they go about it in different ways.
>>
>>48190649
As a general rule, only the highest effect that changes something is used. It doesn't matter if the effects come from different sources, the bonus affects that one thing, and thus wouldn't stack.So whichever gives you the most base bonus speed would be the one that you'd use.
>>
>>48186081
>and kind of become a separate entity from the Camarilla

Is the area just swarming with Salubri, Assamite, Tzimisce, Gangrel, Nosferatu, and Brujah goons? Because it should be, unless it's a ridiculously well-kept secret.
>>
File: The Wizard.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The Wizard.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>48186081
>he doesn't want to be a "magic book guy"

What are you, some kinda Toreador faggot?
>>
>>48190663
Damn, I was going to turn myself into the flash.

Could I get you input if non-bonus effects buffing the same thing stack?

Life 3 to heighten my mundane senses to the biologic limit (which is pretty intense according to Wikipedia sharks can smell electromagnetism), combined with Space 1 so I can sense all directions without a 'blindspot'.
>>
>>48188738
Honestly, I would like a similar guide that would outline that people playing the game should be less jerks to each other, for CofD (or any game). I have a circle of friends, who are nicely intellectually stimulating to GM for but sometimes they are just impossible to deal with, and when they start to argue and to say to me "you're hiding behind the bookrules" I just cave in.

Should I just not play with them anymore? How to be less of a pussy, /tg/?

As for the actual Safe-Hearts.pdf,sure, all power to them as long as they don't come into my home and preach to my (future) kid that being not heterosexual cisgender is somehow desirable. If the kid picks an unusual identity on their own, I would be mentally conflicted but I feel like I would deal with it and accept it, but proselytising is where I would draw the line.
While the whole trigger warning thing has grown to be obnoxious and ridiculous, the RPG medium isn't and shouldn't be only for gory gritty games where every sort of human and inhuman darkness is shown. Some games can even progress without killing and combat (see Golden Sky Stories and some ways to play Chuubo). If you can and should remove sex behind the *fade to black* thing (which seems to be a /tg/ consensus, as long as you're not in a dedicated ERP, of course), there's no reason to not have groundwork laid for removing other things that make people uncomfortable.

But, as a similar sidebar in M20 notes, it shouldn't be overused to the point of being disruptive and diluting the actual meaning of flashing the X-card or whatever they advise to do in the pdf. It should be used in good faith to guard against legit psychological damage and real offense, and not abused to destroy meaning and impact of the story to cater to imaginary slights. Otherwise, that would just work like The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

The problem is, of course, drawing the line for where legitimate uses of the mechanic end, and this is where group consensus should step in.
>>
>>48189118
Just do Week of Nightmares, but with a different Antediluvian. Ilyes/Troile/Brujah, Haqim, Set , Eldest, or Saulot would be pretty fun.
>>
>>48190766
That's two different things that are being affected. Increasing senses would give you bonuses to Perception checks appropriately. Then using space 1 would give you that ability in 360 degrees.
>>
>>48190792
Tell them there is a point where argument ends and you are the final arbiter of that point. If they don't like it, they can leave or one of them can volunteer to be ST and go through that shit for themselves for awhile.
>>
>>48190393
Would you kindly make your notes (whichever you don't mind sharing) into a pdf when you're done? I'd love to pilfer them for ideas.
>>
>>48171325
Supernatural the tv show mostly, also the further inspiration section of each splat is pretty nice. Other than that I read a whole hell of a lot, as a legit historian that's where I draw much of my inspiration from. It's why mummy is my fav line though I have yet to run a mummy game. Romantic era books are pretty great inspiration for the form of story your trying to do with CoD essentially craracter studies with a loose plot and light philosophy. So a good place to start when forming a plot I have found is pick a moral quandary and chhose the side of the argument you want to talk about then introduce that to the PC's over the course of the game and make sure they bring there acting A game.
>>
File: TVMA1.jpg (51 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
TVMA1.jpg
51 KB, 500x303
>>48189198
>>48189263
You do realize that television actually does come with a trigger warning, right?
>>48190644
Not every psychological illness is as sexy as "I was raped" or "I served my country". She sees a shrink and everything.
>>48190792
I feel like "the whole trigger warning thing has grown obnoxious and ridiculous" only because of people's kneejerk and often antagonistic reaction. I mean, pic related has been around for ages, but no one starts shouting about it (even though they *should* be shouting at MPAA ratings for different reasons). I mean, in regards to people up in arms about "trigger warnings in classrooms", I like linking this
https://youtu.be/XvoYtUhjRWM
It also seems that even professors against the idea of trigger warnings will issue *content* warnings. So the entire thing really is just the baggage of a word, because people buy into this notion of an SJW boogeyman.

I remember that sidebar from M20 getting posted, or maybe I saw it somewhere. I feel that it's sort of... I don't know, it came off as dismissive if I recall. "You can be uncomfortable, but not TOO uncomfortable".

I'm not entirely sure where you got the idea that Safe Hearts is preaching that you should be queer... but when Monsterhearts has special abilities that trigger on sex or intimate contact, and at least one character type has very strong potential to be pushed into being a rapist, something like Safe Hearts is kind of necessary. I've also had a lesbian friend bounce when she read the Turn Someone On rules, because she was *really* uncomfortable with the idea that her character could be turned on by a guy. She already dealt with her sexuality being different than what she wanted as a teen, and didn't want to deal with it again. It's a game that thrives on player discomfort, so something like Safe Hearts is worthwhile.

CofD games aren't always that dissimilar. Though MH's handling is much more mature.
>>
>>48190393
When you're making a city for your game, how do you make it feel like that city? I've got a bunch of political stuff for my game, there are power dynamics and factions, important people, et cetera. But there's nothing preventing me from just transplanting the whole place somewhere else. I want the place I set the game to make a real difference in the politics, feel and everyday life of the game but I don't know where to start.
>>
First time playing and running a VtM game. Tell me what you think.

>city has two Princes
>one (Malkavian) was there since the funding of the city by the European colonialists, but holds domain over only a small part of the city
>the other (Ventrue) is a relatively younger vampire that holds the biggest part of the city
>the two cooperate peacefully
>however, some bad shit is going down lately
>Sabbat, Anarchs, Giovanni, blah blah
>the party is a bunch of fledglings that are to be granted their freedom in the domain of the Malk Prince
>long story short: the Prince has been hiding and protecting a Tzimisce Elder for centuries
>the Tzimisce used to be a Sabbat Ductus and a Koldunic priest of Kupala in Romania but got fed up with all that shit
>he ran away and traveled across Europe to find a safe haven, where he met the Malk
>the two somehow became friends and traveled to the newfound land of America
>the Malk protects the Tzimisce from his Sabbat hunters since then and the Tzimisce offers him spiritual and political advise
>one of the hunters of the Tzimisce was a Baali, also a priest of Kupala
>the Baali has traced the Tzimisce's tracks and is now looking for him in the city
>the Baali is of course causing some serious trouble in the city
>the player characters will eventually find out about the existence of the protected Tzimisce, but they will be led to believe that he is the one causing trouble, instead of the Baali
>a few scenarios can take place from there on:
>they can try to convince the Prince that his friend has gone rogue and is causing trouble
>or they can remain silent and try to deal with it themselves
>or they can try to find assistance elsewhere; from the Anarchs maybe
>or they can just learn the truth, which is that the Tzimisce is a cool guy and he is not the one causing trouble etc etc
>in the end, the players will have to face the Baali, and if they play their cards right, they will be assisted by the Tzimisce elder
>>
>>48191327
Of course, that's just the skeleton of the story. Much more shit will be happening. The Anarchs, the Sabbat, the Tremere, the Princes - everyone has their own motivations and schemes which will offer a much more fleshed-out story and will appropriately confuse the players as to what really is happening in the city.
>>
>>48191327
Sounds dope.

There needs to be a wisecracking Samedi sidekick.
>>
>>48191367
>There needs to be a wisecracking Samedi sidekick.
Kek, that part is reserved for a nerdy Nosferatu. He will take the role of Mister Exposition whenever needed.
There will also be a young Malk who thinks he is a human LARPing as a vampire. Fake fangs and all; he doesn't realize he really is a vampire.
>>
File: ecks kard.png (47 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
ecks kard.png
47 KB, 1500x1500
>>48191177
>I remember that sidebar from M20 getting posted, or maybe I saw it somewhere. I feel that it's sort of... I don't know, it came off as dismissive if I recall. "You can be uncomfortable, but not TOO uncomfortable".

That's what I mentioned, the "good faith" thing. The problem about that is, of course, that legitimate uses for the mechanic of "stopping the game and excising some part of the narrative or putting it behind a screen" are both very fuzzy and very easily abused.

Moreover, they are phenomenological, not behavioural in nature (an outside observer, on average, cannot observe how truthful you're being with your offence or triggering). So yes, even the discussion of it can be seen either as dismissive or as trying to protect the integrity of the game in a way.

There is also a problem that horror-based games (and both MonsterHearts and CofD are, inherently games about sorts of personal horror, focused through different lenses) are inherently designed to be thrilling. Sometimes that thrill is going to be based in unnatural, unnerving things.

What happens if a person finds out that they are made uncomfortable and/or triggered by one of such things mid-game, and then want to keep on playing, but gut a measurable fraction of GM's preparation? Do you just boot the person? Basically, IMO for this measure to be effective, there needs to be strong group consensus and people need to be -actively- non-jerks to each other, not even neutral.
>>
>>48190813
Sure, though currently it's mostly going up on the OP thread. The stuff I don't want public (so that players don't see it) is mostly in shorthand note form, so kinda hard to read - lists of ideas and inspiration sources, one-sentence cores of plotlines, etc.

>>48191280
Well, for starters, it's worth looking at the *specifics* of a given city and using them to found the dynamics on - the history, local oddities, etc. Hunt for the bits of the city's fabric that *aren't* so easily transplanted elsewhere, and use them as the foundations.

Then there's the side of soaking the game in the little details - the way Hong Kong has all these fortune-tellers and feng shui is so important, for example, or the differences between the banlieues and the arondissements in Paris, etc etc.
>>
Paradox want to make the World of Darkness more interactive right?

How about the stuff Pokemon GO uses? Half way between LARP and online gaming
>>
>>48191445
>(an outside observer, on average, cannot observe how truthful you're being with your offence or triggering)
I'm not entirely sure why that should matter, though. I feel that the way M20 approached it, from that "integrity of the game" standpoint, is kind of not really the way that it should be approached from. This reminds me of the discussion from the thread that was culled while I was asleep, where someone posted that "My players campaigned for gay marriage instead of fighting the Lich, so the Lich rose up and slaughtered them at the end of the campaign" screenshot. If the players didn't want to deal with the lich there, it should have been excised from the game, not kept up to then punish the players for not following the plot. The integrity of the game isn't the thing that matters most: The enjoyment of the players is.
And, I mean, that's hard even for me. I hate retconning and shit. But ultimately, if my players don't like something, I should change it. Whether it's because it triggers flashbacks, reminds them of personal insecurities, or grosses them out in a way that just makes the game unfun.

>Basically, IMO for this measure to be effective, there needs to be strong group consensus and people need to be -actively- non-jerks to each other, not even neutral.
Well, that's sort of what the Safe Hearts supplement is all about.

>>48191565
Anon, please go. You are literally disgusting me.
I'm touching the X card.
Never bring this up again.
I will literally vomit on you.
>>
>>48191542
>Well, for starters, it's worth looking at the *specifics* of a given city and using them to found the dynamics on - the history, local oddities, etc. Hunt for the bits of the city's fabric that *aren't* so easily transplanted elsewhere, and use them as the foundations.
>Then there's the side of soaking the game in the little details - the way Hong Kong has all these fortune-tellers and feng shui is so important, for example, or the differences between the banlieues and the arondissements in Paris, etc etc.
Any advice on where to search for this stuff? I'm close to giving up on New York.
>>
>>48191177
There was a time everything was G and PG and no one had an anxiety attack about it because they weren't a total cunt about it.

Regardless most PNP games had warnings in the 80's and only recently till now, but the only difference was then it was due to soccer moms who thought the games were satanic and these days it's because kids off tumblr can't read a paragraph without crying about their anxieties.
>>
>>48191610
100% this.
>>
>>48191583
I usually dredge through whatever online history sources I can find. For example, for New York, I'd start with the wikipedia article on its history, then branch out from there. I'd probably also do some searches for 'occult New York', 'myths of New York', a few looks at folklore of the native American groups that used to live in the area, etc.
>>
>>48191396
>Kek, that part is reserved for a nerdy Nosferatu. He will take the role of Mister Exposition whenever needed.

That sounds fun. What's your Nosferatu situation going to be like? Big Brood? Small Brood? Rival Broods? Fun with Nictuku?
>>
>>48191445

>Basically, IMO for this measure to be effective, there needs to be strong group consensus and people need to be -actively- non-jerks to each other, not even neutral.

Well, yeah. Measures like this assume that you really know and don't hate the people you're playing with, like most RPGs do. Very few games are intentionally designed with a "pick-up with randos" mindset, which I will assume will change with the rise of Roll 20 and stuff like /tg/ game finders.

People worry about it being abused, but that's because they're looking at it through a social dynamic that that's different than the one it is designed for. That and, I assume, a "GM's creative agency" viewpoint, since the 90s idea of "GM as author" has staying power even in a post-storygame world.

>What happens if a person finds out that they are made uncomfortable and/or triggered by one of such things mid-game, and then want to keep on playing, but gut a measurable fraction of GM's preparation? Do you just boot the person?

That's one of the options, yes. If they aren't compatible with the horror you're dishing out, and you really can't change or improvise it, then you do have to ask them to step out. It might be rough, but that's horror for you. Everyone has different tolerances for it, and they might not know exactly how it's different until they're in the moment. It's not a genre for everyone, and even horror fans differ from person to person. No one's bad for dishing it out and no one's bad for not being able to take it.
>>
>>48191620
>>48191610
But this is wrong and you're an idiot.
>>
>>48191177
Why do gays even care about RPGs?

Don't they have other things to do like being gay, dropping cleveland steamers on each others and swapping AIDS-infected cum?
>>
>>48191674

No you see everything was fine and then mean old anxious cunts invented the R and PG-13 ratings. Damn them, it's my child's right and privilege to watch Midnight Cowboy.
>>
>>48191713

Dick Hafer, what are you doing alive and shitposting on 4chan?
>>
>>48191654
Haven't really thought about that, especially since none of my player's will play as a Nosferatu. So I suppose the brood won't be too big.
>>
WE WUZ CAINEZ AND SHEEIT
>>
>>48191582
>Anon, please go. You are literally disgusting me.
>I'm touching the X card.
>Never bring this up again.
>I will literally vomit on you.

It was just a suggestion
>>
>>48191177
My main complaint is that if there are already those systems in place to warn people not to watch the show, why do you feel the need to make a "safe space" and edit the content that's already meant to be there just because one person gets upset about it.

There are also pre defined expectations already when it comes to playing games with your friends, if your friends enjoy dead baby jokes and know you don't then why do you feel it needs to be reestablished solely for the purpose of playing a RPG
>>
>>48191736
>no Nossies

You need to reeducate those players.

What's the Coterie look like, anyway?
>>
>>48191396
>FishMalk Larper

Don't do this. Use a serious, actual real-world-psychotic Malkavian.
>>
>>48191807
>Use a serious, actual real-world-psychotic Malkavian.
Or Bobble the Clown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWH2g8Ox7bo

Bobble could be a perfect Malk.
>>
>>48191776
We got a Tremere, a Toreador and a Gangrel:

The Tremere was the grandson of a priest in life and was very interested in the occult. He used to be a PI, mostly focusing in cases that the paranormal was somehow involved. He was Embraced by his own grandfather who had disappeared many years ago and was thought to be dead. His grandfather told him that he could grand him all the occult wisdom in the world if he would join him.

The Toreador worked in a traditional circus back in his homeland, China. He was involved in petty crime from a young age in order to support his family. He slowly rose up in the Triads and eventually became a hired gun. He traveled to America with a few other circus performers. He is now performing in Chinatown, and that's where his Sire found him and took an interest in him and his talents.

The Gangrel was a farmer that lived in a small town not too far from the city the story takes place in. His father was accidentally involved with some small local organized crime scene. After owning debt to them, the gang assaulted his son, the player's character, and almost stabbed him to death. Coincidentally, a sympathetic Gangrel found him lying in a pool of his own blood in the middle of the street after the incident and she Embraced him to save his "life."

The Gangrel originally wanted to be a Nossie, as he was attracted to the concept of spying, hacking and information trading, but was afraid of the whole ugliness thing, unfortunately. Instead, he became a Gangrel and tried to shoehorn some Computer skill in his character. I allowed it for the hell of it.
>>
>>48191807
That's just one NPC. He will appear briefly in one session and be taken care of. He's pretty much a comic relief character.

For realistically deep Malkavian characters, I got the Malk Prince. He is a much more well-written character.
>>
>>48191920
>I allowed it for the hell of it.
Could he use a hide inside server towers in the same way as any other user of Protean hides inside rock? The stuff in there is pretty much the same stuff you find in rocks anyway, so It shouldn't be too hard.
>>
File: 1460240022653.png (116 KB, 228x260) Image search: [Google]
1460240022653.png
116 KB, 228x260
>>48191966
>Could he use a hide inside server towers in the same way as any other user of Protean hides inside rock?
Lol, I'll have to look into it.
>>
Is there anything more boring than oWoD Gangrel?
>>
>>48192004
Nope. There's an Elder Power (6+ dots) that allows you to merge with other things than just dirt like stone or wood, but you can never merge with non-natural things.
>>
>>48192028
Tzimisce. Lasombra. Salubri. Giovanni.
>>
>>48192046
Ah, I see. Thanks.
>>
>>48192060
Tremere detected.
>>
>>48192046
But you can merge with metal?
>>
>>48191920
>but was afraid of the whole ugliness thing

Fucking cowards, can't even "pretend" to be ugly.
Make sure his animal features are grotesque and mismatched to punish him for his sins.
>>
>>48192060
I don't know what Salubri are but the rest of them are unique and interesting.
>>
>>48192087
Not in the manner he's talking about with server-towers; there's too much OTHER. As it stands, what you merge with has to be the same rough size as you (as in your whole mass has to fit within it when merged). So unless it was like, a giant block of iron ore that was at minimum man-sized, no.
>>
>>48192028
oWoD Toreador

>>48192060
>Salubri
>Tzimisce
>boring

Ill rek u m8
>>
>>48192081
No, Tremere are my most hated of the OWoD clans really.
>>
>>48192087
Don't think so. It's not even supposed to be stone, really, because Gargoyles' Visceratika merges with stone. Protean puts you in the dirt, plain and simple.
>>
>>48192028
As a PC or NPC?
I have to agree, as a NPC they are kinda meh. They might be the go-to animal guys, but aside from that its hard to utilise them.
As PCs on the other hand they are great: I think they are one of the easier Clans to make interesting Player Characters with.
>>
>>48192126
I'm sorry you have such shit taste.
>>
>>48192081
>>48192060
>Beware the Hidden Hand of the Eternal Regent
>>
>>48192138
They have extremely dull abilities. Protean has to be the most interesting one, but the way it actually works leaves much to be desired.
>>
>>48192135
That's why it's an Elder ability; I want to say it's a Protean 7 power, IIRC. It breaks the normal power rules laid down, much like things like Mythic Form at Protean 6 or Shape Mastery at Protean 8.
>>
>>48192101
Oh I will, if and when he Frenzies.
But the real problem with my Gangrel player is that he wants to play as a "good" character. Like, high morality and shit.
I'm perfectly fine with that, but what I'm not fine with is someone who is not familiar with how the World of Darkness works and does not 100% understand how morality should be played.
It's a sticky situation. We'll have to see how that turns out.

My Tremere player also plays as a Christian. True Faith and all. But thankfully, I'm much more confident in his RP.
>>
>>48192028
I like gangrel and toreador but I don't understand why anyone would want to be a Giovanni.
>>
>>48192254
>I don't understand why anyone would want to be a Giovanni.
Sex with corpses.
>>
>>48192267
Oh well now you say it it makes perfect sense
>>
>>48192159
Not as dull as Brujah and Toreador.
In my opinion only two Camarilla Clans have more then one interesting Discipline: Malks with Dementation and Obfuscation and Tremere with Domination and Thraumarturgie.
>>
>>48192280
>Brujah
I still don't really understand what their gimmick is supposed to be.
>>
>>48191758
Anon, are you even actually paying attention to the conversation?

>>48191920
>Off the grid survivalist nutso hacker Gangrel
http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Frank_Devereaux

>>48192101
>>48192168
>Punish your player for not liking what you like
Please don't push someone away from games just because you think they're doing it wrong.
>>
>>48192348
https://youtu.be/hsv_NQFbQzo
>>
>>48192353
It's not that much about punishment as it's about understanding consequences.
He will have to face, sooner or later, the fact that he is still cursed, even if he is not a Nosferatu.
>>
>>48192348
Angry Punks!
No more, no less.
Thinking about it, they should have been a Subcategory of Toreador, and these Brureador should have head a "favourite emotion" kinda flaw, where they would have one emotion that consumes them: Awe or Lust for "Toreador", Anger or Rebelliousness for Brujah
>>
>>48192365
What the hell
>>
>>48192422
>See: VtR Bruja
>>
>>48192422
>>48192555
Also to be entirely fair they aren't necessarily punks, they just tend to be members of their local counter-culture.
Which could be anything from Punks to, as Mama Polari shows us, the LGBT crowd.
>>
>>48192580
Nitpicky but fair enough.
On the Counter-Culture note: Are there any info on "aging" Brujah? Is there any stories about older (100 years+) Brujah and their struggles through the ages? Like Brujah who where/are republicans (not as in the party, but as in anti-royalist), abolitionists or pro women's suffrage. Basicly whose causes in live have been completed.
>>
>>48192348
Rage against the machine the bloodline.
>>
>>48192748
I think I read somewhere they have shorter lifespans than the others due to their nature. I'd hate to meet the one that was still kicking.
>>
Is there anything in oWoD that actually compels people to act like their clan is described to act? Or are these just thousand years old stereotypes?
>>
>>48192748
>>48192784
Well, by default, there are no ancient Brujahs. There are some old ones, of course, but no truly ancient. These are the True Brujah.
>>
>>48192819
Not in a "if you don't do X, then you don't get XP" kinda way, but some Clans can be very rigid structures.
Its for many Clans a kind of self-reinforcing stereotype.
>>
>>48192819
Maybe clans like the Tremere, who share Blood Bonds, are internally motivated (or forced) to act in certain specific ways.
Same could be said about the Malkavians (due to the Malkavian Madness Network), etc.
>>
>>48192819
There's a few factors, iirc. First and foremost, most vampires are very selective of who they embrace. It stands to reason that a toreador would be more likely to embrace an artist or an actor, whereas a brujah might pick someone from a harder walk of life.
Second, I believe that there's an explicit mystical aspect to oWoD behavior. Like, each bloodline carries a small portion of the progenitor's soul or some shit, so they are predispositioned to act a certain way.
Third, I imagine mundane things like social status influence things.
>>
>>48190644
As much as trigaboos annoy me, PTSD comes in more varieties than nam vet
>>
My hunter has Synaesthesia as his derangement from a derangement-giving Endowment. Can someone please help me out to hash out game mechanics for the Persistent Condition?

It's smell to sound, if it matters.
>>
>>48193113
Lose 10-again on Perception tests when smells are involved. May cause bonuses/penalties when trying to hear in a smelly environment or trying to identify an odor in a quiet one.
Beat: Synesthesia contributes to a failed roll.
>>
Anyone has V20 Ready made Characters?
>>
>>48192965

Yeah, PTSD is as much a physiological disorder as it is a psychological disorder. People can get it and have it be set off by the most bizzare things, which is why it's always kind of funny to see people get indignant about it. Brains break easy and in different ways, but blaming "millenials" (i.e. anyone 33 or younger) is easier than considering the subtleties of mental healthcare.

>>48193113

Maybe something like an investigation or composure penalty when in a very smelly area? Seems a bit niche without the ST being on it all the time, though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.