[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: +20 to Hit Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 20.jpg (71 KB, 558x341) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
71 KB, 558x341
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
>>48118893

The anon who runs the Mega has a second trove for community DMs Guild title submissions. Any and all are welcome to submit via email, all anonymously. No promise of quality, though.

What's your opinion on Epic Boons?
>>
>>48136631
Epic boons are fine. Most campaigns won't ever see them.

If you want a short, fun diversion, let your players make level 20s and choose an epic boon. Play out the session against similarly broken NPCs.

Also, casters>martials.
>>
>>48136631
Considering we now have an entire mega for things like this, has anyone actually tried Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter yet? How does it hold up compared to the regular classes? It seems a little (read: cripplingly) angst-ridden from a flavour standpoint, but that's nothing that can't be handwaved in specific settings, and mechanically it seems fine but I'm not particularly well versed in this sort of thing.
>>
>>48136631

What is the most fun way to be an archer in 5e?
>>
>>48136775
Bard, with one level in fighter to start.

You take swift quiver with your magical secrets. Probably haste too, for if you run out of 5th level slots.
>>
>>48136775
If you're like me, then maybe an elf spellcaster. So that you're fragile and have to rely on cover and careful positioning. Not the most optimized way, obviously, but restrictions for the sake of challenge can be fun.
>>
>>48136775
Battlemaster Fighter, although it works out slightly stronger using a hand crossbow with the feat.
>>
>>48136775
Eldritch Knight with a Bow is pretty Baller
>>
>>48136775
Pact of the Blade Warlock with an understanding DM.

I still don't get why they limited it to melee weapons (except if your DM is kind enough to give you a magical ranged weapon to bond).
>>
>>48136631
+20 to a single ranged attack per short rest doesn't seem excessively broken. The ability to use it repeatedly would be, but near-guaranteeing yourself a 95% chance to hit once per short rest seems like the right amount of power for an epic boon.
>>
>>48136631

Lvl 20
Archery Fighting Style
Boon of Peerless Aim and Sharpshooter, +3 Arrow, +3 Longbow, Bracers of Archery, with 30 Dexterity from Epic Boons.
+39 to Hit
+28 damage

WEW
>>
>>48137010
>lvl +20 characters are powerful!

Well... yeah.
>>
>>48137010
>+39 to Hit
...once per short rest, and then +19 to hit. Still impressive, but not game-breaking given the challenges level 20 characters face.
>>
Sup /5eg/. I need help fluffing out my Half-Orc paladin of Bane for Adventurer's League. I chose the noble background because I wanted to make him the half-orc son of a minor lord of one of the towns on the Sword Coast. His whole reason for wanting to adventure is to get a title for himself since his father hardly acknowledges him. How do I fluff the oath of vengeance for someone who's Lawful Evil? Also dump masks, because he's very ashamed of his apperance.

>inb4 WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK and him being a big guy
>>
>>48137010
I can't wait to see the look on your face when you find out that at level 20 rogues can say "Yes actually I did hit" or roll a nat20 for an ability check. Once per short rest.

When will wizards balance their demi-gods
>>
>>48137197
You could instead of taking an oath of killing certain things, take an oath of popularity. You want to hear your name shouted in the crowds, see men and women in awe or in fear at the sight of you.

Your tenants could be: Know Thy Name, if people you fight don't know who just kicked their ass, did you really fight at all?

The Big One, you are constantly in search for your greatest venture, the story that people will know you for. Suicide missions seem like the right direction.

Protect Thy Name, if someone were to bad mouth your name, do not let them forget their mistake.

The Very Best, you often wish to be the best at what you do, swordsmanship, spell casting, anything you do, is what you want to be the best at.

From here on you could even fluff it into a new oath.
>>
>>48137197
BANE?
>>
>>48137299
I'm really torn between having him want to bring his family fame and glory so that his father will acknowledge him or having him want to get revenge on his father by outshining him. Basically daddy issues and pride out the wazoo.
>>
>>48136631
Wasn't 5th edition supposed to end all this garbage?
>>
>>48137357
Well if you aren't going to make a whole new oath then that's what you would go for no matter. It's he only oath that allows you to be selfish most of the time. But don't be afraid of a homebrewed oath.
>>
>>48136775
I'm having lots of fun with my current fighter.

Human Fighter (Going Champion)
Protection Style, Crossbow master feat.
Hand-crossbow and Shield in Studded for 17AC.
Shooting out two attacks every turn easily while protecting my squishy allies from ranged attacks and acting as a still-tough obstacle for those trying to engage in Melee. Damage is low since only have 1d6+3 going for me.

By level 11 going to have pumped his Dex up and taken Archery fighting style to boost my to hit, letting me belt out 4 attacks every turn and taking sharpshooter for huge damage.
>>
>>48137357
Then just have it be a blurred line. When it finally happens, everyone will hold their breath anticipating how you respond to it. Will you have grown the fuck up and accept the acknowledgements gracefully or will the moment and the power go to your head?
>>
>>48136631
Speaking of Boons, win an increased maximum ability score, the highest possible AC would require at least one level in Barbarian, with 30 Dex and Con, with a +3 Shield, Defender (+3 into AC), Ring of Protection, and a Cloak of Protection. That alone gives 40 AC. Have at least one level in cleric, and one level in wizard. Cast Shield of Faith, and use reaction to cast shield, giving you 47 AC.

If you wanted to take this even further, you can magic jar yourself into a Tarrasque, for 62 AC.
>>
>>48136950

Eldritch Blast pretty much has you covered as far as ranged options go.

I'd just fluff it to be a magical energy bow that you fire when you cast it.
>>
File: Red Dragon - Digital.jpg (81 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Red Dragon - Digital.jpg
81 KB, 700x525
So I think my DM made the wrong call but maybe I just don't know how blindsight works. You be the judge.
I super buffed myself with the help of the ranger to sneak into a room guarded by a huge red dragon using both invisibility and pass without trace on my maxed Dex skill expertise proven talent stealth check. Minimum stealth check of 33.
The dragon immediately turns towards me and locks onto me the second I enter the room with no rolls made. The DM explains that blindsight allows him to know where I am. I think this would negate any advantage invisibility might grant but that the stealth roll would still be opposed by his perception to notice me with his heightened senses. But, the DM is the arbitrator so I let it pass.
Then when combat begins I use Mirror Image on myself for some extra defense since I apparently can't hide at all to make sneak attacks and the DM says that blindsight allows him to ignore the effect of it. I don't think it functions as True Sight but again the DM insists and I drop it.
Now, am I wrong here or does Blindsight just negate all stealth and all illusions? PHB doesn't really have anything to say on it as far as I can tell. Maybe the DMG does?
>>
>>48137512
It doesn't negate Stealth. Honestly I can't see it negating visual illusions. Now, a creature using Tremorsense, he could likely ignore your mirror images.
>>
>>48137512
From what I understand blindsight does not give away your stealth check as long as you beat its passive or active perception. Not sure about the images though.
>>
>>48136631
>What's your opinion on Epic Boons?
They're a fairly elegant, open-ended solution to the problems that epic-tier play can bring. I like them a lot, even if I'm unlikely to ever see them.
>>
>>48136775
Assassin or thief rogue. Bonus action hide each turn while running in the background of the fight between pieces of cover, getting advantage and sneak attack with single pinpoint shots. Take a single level in fighter for that delicious +2 to-hit.

Throw Sharpshooter on there at some point as a bonus.
>>
>>48137512
Blindsight means you don't need to rely on vision to see things. Hearing is just as strong. This doesn't mean you can see invisibility it just means if you can hear something you don't have disadvantage on attacking it and you pretty much know where it is. Pass without trace actually helps your visual and audio stealthiness.

So in total yes he should have made a roll for it, only true vision or see invisibility would allow no checks needed.

Of course this rule is overruled by "He's DMing it it's his rules." But if you want to mention how you think he might have messed up you could. Don't try to have them go back and redo the scene, just keep it in mind for later. And always be prepared for the DM to just shut you down. It's his game if you don't like it make your own.
>>
I'm going to be playing my first 5e game (and first /tg/ game at all) i want to build a slightly autistic fairly violent rogue, but charisma is required for intimidation and wisdom is required for perceiving traps both of which are kinda required for decent rogueing but also aren't compatible with being a violent autist. Am I fucked or is there a creative way to stat this?
>>
>>48137512
Stealth is more than just being hard to see. It's being hard to hear, standing downwind, etc.
>>
>>48137567
The description of the Spell Mirror Image specifically states that creatures with either Blindsight or Truesight are unaffected by it.

However, nothing is immune to stealth unless it has some form of Detect that you would trigger in proximity. Dragons are just fuckhard to sneak up on with their incredibly passive perception. You should have been able to sneak up on it.
>>
File: 1465774724464.jpg (11 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
1465774724464.jpg
11 KB, 392x243
>join a 5E group
>I'm the only powergamer in a group of 6 people
>>
If a Cleric uses their Channel Divinity, say using Turn Undead, and the monster wins the saving throw, is the Channel Divinity lost, or can the Cleric try to use it again that rest?
>>
>>48137733
It's used up regardless of its success
>>
>>48137664
Expertise. You get two skill proficiencies at 1st and two more at 6th that you double your proficiency bonus to. Choose Perception and Intimidation among those.
>>
The idea of boons gave me an idea for a campaign.

Players are Demigods. Basically they get one free feat and boon along with normal shit, and they need to build their character to match whatever their godly parent is, so say if you're the child of the god of fate or luck, you play a rogue, take the lucky feat, and then the boon of fate or luck. If it's the god of darkness or shadows or something, shadow monk, skulker, and boon of undetectability or night spirit, for storms, storm sorcerer, elemental adept for lightning or thunder, and boon of the stormborn, shit like that.

Does it sound interesting?
>>
>>48137755
It could work out if your players are all on board with it. You may also want to use Hero Points in the DMG to give them a bit more of a lucky, heroic edge.
>>
>>48137753
Isn't that doubling a negative modifier though?
>>
>>48137217
When wizards recognizes that giving every class equal access to skills, but not equal access to spells is fundamentally imbalanced. Only then will they balance their shit.
>>
>>48136775
Most fun character I've ever played so far.

Human Eldrich Knight with a Hand-crossbow as his bonded weapon, using Nets as back up. Has Crossbow master feat, rest has been pumped into Dex and Int. His general plan of attack is a nice mix of shooting his crossbow three times, throwing a net then shooting, or mixing a cantrip in from time to time.

Absolute favorite is throwing a net on someone then casting Bonfire.

Net causes them to be restrained, meaning that they have disadvantage on their save vs Bonfire, then on the start of their turn, they need to spend their action getting out of the net and try to maneuver away causing an AoO with possibly a second net, which if hit, restrains him again and roots him in place (In the fire). If this happened, or they failed to escape the net, or they chose to attack with disadvantage, they end their turn taking more damage again at disadvantage to save. Additionally any attacks against them have advantage.

So they either A) Are vulnerable as fuck, then waste their turn, doing nothing but try to escape and take damage or B) Are vulnerable as fuck, then spend the turn trying to fight back with disadvantage, then take extra damage and are still vulnerable as fuck.

The only issue with nets is the fact that you need Sharpshooter to use them at 10-15ft and/or Crossbow master to use them within 5ft, but if you invest your turn in using one (Or have haste, so can do it for free) you get huge bonuses making a guy a literal target and wasting his turn. Even if it is only DC10 it costs an action and against many "Elite" type enemies, trading an action for an action can cripple most enemies since when they do escape from your net, you just throw a second net on them.
>>
>>48137900
Your proficiency is always +2 at 1st level and increases thereafter, no matter what your stat bonuses are. Of course you have to be proficient with the skills in the first place to take expertise, but even if you had a -2 CHA modifier to Intimidate, expertise gives you +4 at first level, climbing higher as you level up.
>>
>>48136775
Fighter or spell-less Ranger variant if you want to also be able to have some weak healing capability.
>>
File: FAMAS-G2-IMG_8894-white.jpg (131 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
FAMAS-G2-IMG_8894-white.jpg
131 KB, 3000x2000
>>48136722
>Most campaigns won't ever see them.

That's because most 5e players are fucking casuals.

Seriously, the reason most of /tg/ can't find a stable game to get to level 20, is because of the life choices that they made. They are either autistics who sperg out over minor differences, or they play with people who aren't even their friends, or they decide to squirt out some shitspawn halfway through the campaign and never make it past level 8.

I personally made it to level 20 over the course of 6 years gaming with my best friends who I still play with because our lives worked out that we stayed in the area making decent money and can still hang out all the time.

Whereas most of the fuckers on /tg/ went halfway around the country chasing their "dreams" meaning working 70 hours a week for Mister Shekelstein. I work 30 and make more than enough to live. I also have a long term girlfriend and no children and no plans to have any.

It's your own fault you can't have a long term game. Don't give me that "real life" bullshit, I have a real life, and your pathetic attempts to tell me to "man up" while you desperately envy the life I have, will simply make me laugh harder.
>>
Is there any good variant material for a Druid without Wild Shape?
>>
>>48137990
That's nice and all but is that a FAMAS?
>>
File: 1446115325836.gif (932 KB, 253x197) Image search: [Google]
1446115325836.gif
932 KB, 253x197
>playing a cleric of Lathander
>party just saved a village from a bugbear attack
>wizard uses his magic to raise some of the villagers as undead minions
>decide that the just and holy thing to do would be to turn undead and lay their souls to rest
>wizard gets mad and starts attacking me
>call the guards
>they chase him out of town

Was I in the wrong? I felt like such an asshole.
>>
>>48137990
Jesus Christ. Is this pasta?
>>
>>48138023
You're both assholes. He started it by creating undead minions without asking the opinion of the party, but you're both assholes.
>>
>>48138045
No it's a FAMAS.
>>
>>48137990
That's a lot of baggage anon. I'm not sure how to handle it.

I've got a full time job that I work 70 hours a week, making bank for Mister Shekelstein. But I still manage to run a game nearly every week for my buddies who are halfway around the country while I chase my dreams.
>>
>>48138023
Both assholes, and stupid to have a Cleric of Lathander and a necromancer wannabe in the same party to begin with.
>>
>>48138011
None that I've seen. Maybe you could poach the ranger's animal companion rules. Maybe have it be a spiritual companion that the druid can channel their nature bullshit into to protect themselves. Have it require concentration like a spell to avoid buff-stacking.
>>
>>48137933
Champion Fighter with Handcrossbow and net, Sharpshooter + Xbow master. I'd love to use half orc but no brutal crits for ranged weapons but maybe DM permissive. Net then shoot with advantage for easy sharpshooter, action surge for bonus attacks or haste for bonus nets.
>>
>>48136631
>>Community DMs Guild trove
>>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
>https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
Thank you Meganon god.
>>
>>48138076

> playing over roll 20

Yeah you're a massive faggot. I get to hang out for 20 hours a week with my friends gaming and doing whatever the fuck I want, and I don't have to deal with the inevitably shitty mic and video quality.

Also

> needs to work 70 hours a week to survive

I bet you majored in sociology.
>>
>>48138156
It always cracks me up when people want DM permission for ranged attacks that was specifically balanced to exclude ranged attacks.

Dex-based guys already get an important saving throw and a slew of skill bonuses, initiative bonus, and THEN then want the few things the melee guys up front taking their licks have going for them.

Priceless.
>>
>>48137197

The Oath of Vengeance is already pretty Lawful Neutral. 'By Any Means Necessary' is basically a blank check to do whatever shitty thing you want, and 'Restitution' just means you take your enemies' successes personally(in your case, because they make you lesser for failing to stop them).

'Fight The Greater Evil' and 'No Mercy For The Wicked' are basically excuses you tell yourself, justifying your behavior because there's a larger threat to deal with than your gloryhounding.
>>
>>48138178
I know you're just baiting but you don't honestly think a major guarantees a good job do you
>>
>>48138178
>roll20

We enjoy it, though we use discord for mics and haven't looked back. I'm thinking of moving us to tabletop simulator. I bought a copy for everyone in my group.

>survival/sociology
Nah, philosophy, then law. I'm enjoying myself. I hope you are as well anon!
>>
File: fun.png (46 KB, 1415x123) Image search: [Google]
fun.png
46 KB, 1415x123
>>48137990
made me think of this
>>
>>48138230
>I'm thinking of moving us to tabletop simulator.
I've thought about it too, but honestly it's not worth the trouble. It can be so damn finicky and buggy and has some annoying technical limitations regarding how a table can be set up and how layouts can be saved.
>>
>>48138240
Is that a screencap from /v/ or /tg/
>>
>>48136894
Eldritch Knight using their bow as their weapon and arcane focus simultaneously is even cooler. basically makes an Arcane Archer and you get to imagine them preparing and shooting spells from it like arrows.
>>
>>48138245
This is my worry too. We're going to try it out one session and then talk out what we would prefer. Even if we don't use it for rp, we'll get plenty of mileage out of it by playing boardgames through it.
>>
Why is D&D so bad when it comes to investigative stuff? I'm DMing CoS and the party is supposed to find a little girl from the Vistani camp near Vallaki who was kidnapped by a local drunkard, but there's no clues or anything like that, the game just expects them to eventually stumble upon her. This shit sucks.
>>
>>48137458
no fuck defender, doesn't that take atttunement, INSTEAD what you want is to attune 3 x +3 animated shield for +15 AC. that gives you 59 AC.
>>
what sounds like good claw or bite damage for a small beast like a Lynx or bobcat?
>>
>>48138256
If it was /v/ it wouldn't have been a joke
>>
>>48138289
One of the bits of lore that all Vallaki residents know is that the town drunk keeps fishing at the lake despite not being able to get everything.

And hey, the entry for the lake describes them running into the drunk just as he throws the girl into the lake.

This isn't D&D failing, or even CoS failing. This is you failing to read the book.
>>
>>48137755
>Does it sound interesting?
I think it does anon. Starting at level 1 right? Yeah that sounds fun to me.
>>
>>48138256
/tg/, I forget what thread though
>>
>>48137990
Playing each week for 2 years has got my group to level 6, even if it's less combat than the average game that's still a lot of time. We go to university together so unless we want to play online across borders after it's going to have to end in a year, and we probably won't get further than 10.
>>
>>48138388
>Playing each week for 2 years has got my group to level 6
not that guy, but damn, you actually responded to that bait
>>
>>48137728
>being a powergamer

Try not to get kicked.
>>
>>48137010
>I get big numbers in the endgame with the very best items I could possibly have
wew
>>
>>48138326
That's not really a clue. It expects characters to go to the lake in the first place, which is very far from the camp, without anything to help the players. There's no way to even know where the girl was before she got missing, the vistani can't provide anything useful.
>>
>>48138481
>+3 bow and +3 arrow is the best possible items for an archer
>>
>>48138023
Assuming everyone made their chars together he started the douche-mode, you ended it.

Personally I support your actions, but I've DM'd so many FR games I'm kind of used to that guy who tries to be edgy and dark and then freaks out when the setting punishes him for it.
>>
>>48137990
why are you bragging about how big your dick is
>>
>>48137990
>no children

Now who is working for the Jew, hmm?
>>
File: Spiritual Druid.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Spiritual Druid.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48138011
>>48138134 (You)
I decided to throw something together for it. I haven't looked into how fucked it can be, but the concentration requirement until 18th level should keep it mostly in check.

(Reposting because formatting fuckups).
>>
>>48138718
Thanks! Does anyone think there might be some balancing issues from the fact that you're basically summoning an additional creature instead of transforming into that creature?
>>
>>48138784
It is overpowered as it allows you Moon Druid level powers while effectively having the Natural Spell feature at level 2.
>>
>>48138784
Being able to throw out spells while their companion is out from 2nd level might be a problem. Maybe if the companion flat-out requires concentration to begin with without the 1 minute freebie time it would be a bit better. Then it acts like a low-level summoning spell, but less fucky because it's only one creature instead of 8.
>>
>>48138718
Note that as written, no spirit can use powers like Multiattack or Ink Cloud, as they aren't in the list of commandable actions.
>>
>tfw you can never make a Drow Ranger because of Drizzt
>tfw you will never explore the bioluminscent forests of the Underdark
>tfw you will never have a riding lizard
>tfw you will never have an elf slave
>>
>>48138055
Kek
>>
>>48137010

As a sanity check, I ask myself this question: how many shots does it take for a character to take out a tank from the Reign of Winter adventure book with an unenchanted small arm? If the answer is one round, yeah, it's probably too strong.
>>
>>48138292
1d4?
>>
File: 1432867874205.jpg (173 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1432867874205.jpg
173 KB, 1280x960
Is it an awful idea to be a Half-Orc Paladin of Lathander whose main goal in life is to kill orc warchiefs in honorable combat, take their followers, and convert as many orcs as possible to the worship of the glorious life-giving sun? As far as Good-aligned deities go, the sun seems pretty manly and orcish to me.

Once I have enough Orcs, I will launch a crusade on all evil.
>>
Which of the Wizard specialties is the most bro-tier? I just want to be a cool Wizard, you know, the kind that's chill.
>>
File: whyeven.png (310 KB, 673x511) Image search: [Google]
whyeven.png
310 KB, 673x511
I'm a little confused as to why this was included in the monster manual...is there some joke I'm missing here?
>>
>>48138994
You got a problem with sea horses, anon?
>>
>>48138994
Familiar for sea wizards?
>>
>>48138924

Don't elf slaves owned by drow usually not last very long?
>>
>>48139011
No, was just kind of hoping for an in joke.
>>
How do you deal with inattentive players in your games? One of my friends will grab her phone and get on Pinterest whenever it isn't her turn in combat or she'll be playing with her dog while I'm trying to describe a setting or playing out a scene with the players. I was thinking about trying to hint at her in game to pay attention by giving her character disadvantage on checks or saves every now and then
>you have disadvantage on your persuasion check because the NPC saw you staring off into space for most of the conversation
>make a Dex saving throw with disadvantage because you were looking at something off to the side while the wizard cast a spell at you, giving you less time to react
>>
File: Seahorse_Skeleton_Macro_8_-_edit.jpg (411 KB, 1704x2272) Image search: [Google]
Seahorse_Skeleton_Macro_8_-_edit.jpg
411 KB, 1704x2272
>>48138994
You've never heard of a seahorse?
>>
>>48139063
I make a rule that if you want to play you can't use your phone while you are at the table. It is really annoying when they distract themselves and then act confused about what is happening.
>>
>>48139063
Have you tried talking to her about how her inattentiveness on the campaign you work hard on is bugging you, like an adult human?
>>
>>48139123
I did, and it's still going on
>>
>>48139168
Take her phone, give her the rulebook. If she's bored then she can study.
>>
File: warriorriders.jpg (490 KB, 1190x800) Image search: [Google]
warriorriders.jpg
490 KB, 1190x800
>>48138965
nah he sounds cool as long as your DM is cool and willing to nurture that goal
>>
File: Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath.jpg (258 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath.jpg
258 KB, 1600x1200
Hey guys, i was looking at playing something like pic related. Sorta hiding my race and using crossbows, what class you recommend? Was thinking of a Rogue or something but I'mI'm not too sure
>>
File: winking cat 2.png (80 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
winking cat 2.png
80 KB, 200x200
The latest three season 4 AL adventures (12, 13, and 14) are now in the Mega, courtesy of 7chan.
>>
>>48137458
>you can magic jar yourself into a Tarrasque
No, you can't.
>>
>>48139280
Rogue if you want to be super-skillful and dodgy.
Fighter if you want to be super accurate and have a lot of attacks.
>>
>>48137512
The way I understand it, if the dragon has LoS to you and you're in range of Blindsight, you can't hide. Basically, that counts as seen clearly.

Mirror Image has no effect on nonvisual perception, so it doesn't work on Blindsight.
>>
>>48138994
Druids?
>>
So I'm thinking about a fluffing weapon in my home game suited to one of my player's PC's as basically being a rapier but doing Slashing damage, basically being a light fencing sabre of the sword cavalrymen used.
I thought about suggesting he use a scimitar but the stats on it made no sense at all to me and since a Warhammer is just a longsword but doing Bludgeoning and a battle axe is just a Longsword but doing...well, actually there's not really any mechanical difference there at all I think?
Anyway, I figured it wouldn't really wouldn't change shit to take his mechanically-a-rapier and make it a Slashing weapon and call it a sabre.

That's not too odd, right?
>>
>>48137933
You can't throw a net with an OA. It's not a melee attack.
>>
>>48139816
You could use it as an improvised weapon and it's rules would still apply because you just have to hit with a net. You wouldn't get your proficiency bonus to it, though.
>>
>>48139753
>The way I understand it, if the dragon has LoS to you and you're in range of Blindsight
Blindsight prevents certain kinds of illusions from working, and allows you perceive enemies when you cannot "see" them, but I challenge you to find anything about it completely negating the Stealth skill.
>>
I vaguely remember there being some item in the DMG which was a bag of sand that would suck up vast amounts of water. It had specific rules on how it would deal damage to a water elemental. Anyone know the item I'm talking about?
>>
>>48139847
*let me revise that, when you are incapable of using sight, not "when you can't see them".
>>
>>48139860
Dust of Dryness.
>>
>>48139811
Refluffing is normal, really. BPS is usually interchangeable in 99% of situations, save for fighting skeletons or rhakshasa, and when damaging objects (slashing is more effective against wood than bludgeoning, for example).
>>
>>48138994
Dude, a seahorse with 3 hit points is the fucking god of sea horses
>>
>>48139885
Alright, neato. Sets his character up nicely then and fixes the only bump we had.
Honestly, the whole "scimitar-as-shortsword" confused me since there was no mechanical difference a between them anymore, so I can only assume it was just a way to make Drizzt or whatever, which is a fad that fell out of fashion damn near a decade ago now.
Sort of especially stupid now that I think if it since the Feat related to two-weapon fighting mitigates the need for weapons with the Light tag at all.
>>
>hey dm can i make a new character?

Normally I'd probably say yes, but the player's current character has been absolutely vital in every session so far and things would have gone much differently without it. Should I go ahead and let the player reroll for nothing, make him give me a compelling reason why his character would suddenly want to leave the party in dangerous territory, or wait on the off chance the character dies?
>>
>>48139915
Mingol player in my campaign uses a curved Longsword, as the other Anon said there's zero issue with changing the B/P/S of most weapons.
>>
Is it a bad idea to set up a scenario so that player metaknowledge would make them hate a friendly group of characters?

I can elaborate if needed.
>>
>>48139936
Make a giant boulder fall on him to deal 1d4 damage.
>>
I'm a second level Bard in CoS and there's a Life Cleric in the party.

Life is pain.
>>
>>48139846
>You could use it as an improvised weapon and it's rules would still apply
That's entirely up to the DM at this point. Maybe it's like a whip or a club, instead.
>>
>>48139872
Yeah that it, thanks.

For anyone curious, the spell Destroy Water would deal about 0.09 damage using that template. Guess it has no offensive capabilities.
>>
>>48138984
Conjuration lets you make cool stuff, but Divination lets you help out your Bros by making their stuff hit and them not get hit.
>>
>>48139847
No, because that's not at all what I said. I said if you can be seen clearly, you can't hide. Which is literally in the rule for hiding.
>>
>>48140122
Of course. If you are just moving quietly while invisible, the Dragon will easily spot you.

But if you start outside of his sight, use Stealth skill to sneak into the room with the assumption that he might be able to see you invisible or not, and you overcome his Passive Perception (which is impressive), then he can't "see you" sneaking about.
>>
>>48140258
And that's even against creatures with Blindsight OR Tremorsense.
The only thing that will foil you at that point is some sort of special magical detection that you'd set off. Which Blindsight is not.
>>
>>48138256
What is the difference?
>>
>>48140290
It's a bit angry for /tg/, but rather normal for /v/.
>>
File: primal.png (619 KB, 792x410) Image search: [Google]
primal.png
619 KB, 792x410
>>48140063
Oops, messed up my units. Here's the actual number. Not much better though.
>>
In an upcoming game I plan to make a Necromancer. I was going to be a human but no feats really felt right for the build so I'm going to play an Elf. I've never been able to play an Elf because I despise them so I was wondering if anybody has a good Roleplay idea for one.
>>
>>48140424
Elf necromancer doesn't sound very elf-like. Maybe explore that angle.
>>
>>48140451
I was thinking he was kicked out the tribe for being a cunt and stole a bunch of old spellbooks while leaving.
>>
>>48140424
>>48140451

play him as an orcaboo
>>
>>48140475
>Wants to play "a cunt"
>Wants to play anything with Necro/Death/Shadow/Blood in the title
4/10 Would not DM for.
>>
>>48140424
As a child your elf village was pillaged by humans. They massacred your family and friends, and then captured you as a sex slave. Your boipussy was reamed for [current age - 5] years and you have just recently been able to fully escape. You now have a severe distrust toward humans and phallic objects (this includes all swords).
>>
>>48140498
Not Cunt "I kill the king" but just a smug Wizard who believes his tribe was trying to hold him back and Necromancer is the one Wizard type I haven't played yet.
>>
File: 1464668651899.jpg (20 KB, 299x277) Image search: [Google]
1464668651899.jpg
20 KB, 299x277
>>48140520

If necromancer is the only wizard type you haven't played yet, then how have you played a bladesinger without playing as an elf before?
>>
>>48140551
Sorry I forgot about the Gish crap in a book I don't own. That was my bad.
>>
Didnt want to make a new thread for this, dumb question, seemed like the most relevant thread to ask in.

Trying to remember the name of a specific kind of creature, but it's escaping me. It's an (evil?) Construct made by a lich or necromancer that's kind of like a puppet, I guess. Doesn't have a soul but tries to imitate life? Anybody even remotely understand what I'm talking about? I can almost see the monster manual picture but I can't remember what the fuck its called.a
>>
>>48140597
the fucking doll thing? shiiiet. i think i know what youre talking about.
>>
>>48140597
Like Frankenstein's monster but without a soul
>>
>>48140597
Flesh golem or something?
>>
>>48140597
Homonculus. Probably misspelled.
>>
>>48140694
Same idea but there's a specific word for it, I just can't remember it. Maybe more on the chucky end of the spectrum, though.
>>
>>48136775
Battlemaster Fighter can be fun. I enjoy shooting people so hard they fly back and fall over.
>>
>>48140701
Thank you. Fuck, was on the tip of my tongue for like an hour now.
>>
>>48137458
I have enough fun as a low level bladesinger with high int and dex, which I believe stacks with mage armor/shield of faith, and then casting shield. A wizard with over 25 AC isn't something anyone should have to deal with, but here we are
>>
>>48140701
Those are made of clay.
>>
Are Runeseekers considered an overpowered class? I'm a fairly new GM and have one of my two players playing one, but it hasn't seemed too much more powerful than the other player's Champion Fighter beyond some more utility with the spell bonus action it gets at 14th. I'm not sure if this is because I'm just making the encounters harder than they should be for two players of their level or if the player is just playing the class sub-optimally.
As reference this is a higher fantasy setting that allows players to get certain kinds of magic items more often, otherwise I wouldn't have allowed the Runeseeker in the first place.
>>
>>48140888

>look it up
>first result is dandwiki

please don't tell me
>>
File: 1456095837430.jpg (326 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
1456095837430.jpg
326 KB, 600x720
>>48136757
If you play them more like Geralt or Alucard the angst isn't a problem.
Someone's past is 'edgy' does nothing to stop them from being a fun and interesting character.
See best boy pic related.
>>
>>48140888
I forgot to include "or if it's actually just a balanced enough class depending on the setting".
>>
>>48140852
Cool.
>>
>>48140904
You know, I found this weapon list the other day on that wiki and overall it actually doesn't seem that bad. There's only a couple of complete nonsense stats on it.
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Weapons

>Umuri
lel
>>
>>48140957

>boulder
>1d12

HERESY
>>
>>48140904
That's the one. Despite the site's reputation with Homebrew it hasn't seemed very over powered and we're playing at 15th level. But I wanted to see what you guys thought.

You think that's bad you should have seen what happened when my least experienced player asked me if he could play the Luchador homebrew class and I showed it to my more experienced assistant GM.
>>
File: 1405275234602.gif (379 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1405275234602.gif
379 KB, 500x374
>>48140987
>Google Luchador 5e
>Read abilities
Absolute Cancer.
>>
Hey, anons? Since there's a shifter race in the Eberron "unofficial update" UA article, I was curious; anyone think that the Saurian Shifters could be updated to 5e?

For those who missed them, these were an alternate version of the shifters from Dragon Magazine who were based around being were-dinosaurs rather than being were-beasts.

On a different topic, how okay are you with the possibility of altering the basis of magic items in 5e? For example, creating an Executioner's Axe, which is basically a Vorpal Sword but applied to a greataxe rather than a sword, or a Dancing Mace that is, well, a Dancing Sword but applied to a mace?

And on a semi-related topic, if I wanted to hand out a Lifedrinker Sword with the minor quirk that it moans in anticipation when it senses violence, building up to full-fledged shrieks of hunger when being wielded, would you consider that overpowered? It doesn't add any mechanical bonuses, it's just flavor text that it howls and screams for souls as you wield it.
>>
>>48141295
>how okay are you with the possibility of altering the basis of magic items in 5e?
As long as they are logical and fit with the story/setting I’m totally ok with it.
>>
>>48140888
It's fine as long as you're smart about it.
>>48141295
>Saurian Shifters
Not familiar enough with them to say.
>Altering magic items
I do it all the time. It's fun and a good way to surprise more experienced groups depending on how heavily you alter them.
>Screaming Lifedrinker Sword
As long as you think your campaign and players are in a place that a Lifedrinker Sword isn't too strong normally then having it scream just makes it sound more fun to use and RP with.
>>
>>48138388
This is why you use milestone levelling. Still being at level 6 after 100 sessions is absurd.
>>
>>48141537
This. I level my players up at least once every 2-4 sessions.
>>
>>48136775
Variant Human for Crossbow expert, 2 levels of Fighter, and then 5 levels of Wizard for Lightning Arrow as a 7th level character.
>>
How many fights do you guys think should there be in one session?
Let’s say that it’s a 8 hour session. Should there be 3-4? 5? more?
How many fight do you average in one session?
>>
In the campaign I’m playing right now, I’m playing a tempest cleric. Due to story and lore reasons, The DM made my sacred flame cantrip into lighting instead of radiant. We just got to level 4 and I choose the elemental adept feat.
Is it to powerful that my cantrip deals 2d8 in dmg? And even if they succeed the save throw they still take half the damaged.
>>
What do you think about this homebrew? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_73NA7vK-0OQl9FOUN0R0pvS1E/view

I was thinking of trying to use it for a bladepact archery warlock, though it seems like Eldritch blast would still be way better. Like this a lot though.
>>
>>48136631
Plz respond.
>>48124126
Plz help.

I remember it started with a skeleton walking out of a bog to meet up with his dwarf friend.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (61 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
61 KB, 480x360
I'm a noob, does anyone know of a good website to buy half decent miniatures that doesn't cost like $5 per figure?
>>
>>48141954
Reaper Bones series, but I'd advise against buying miniatures with long spears or other likewise features, as they tend to bend
>>
>>48141992
Thanks man!
>>
>>48141824
I'm lucky if I can get a two hour session before one of my players wants to quit for the night because she can't focus (even if we're mid combat) and another guy's wife who gets pissy and complains if we go past 9:30pm. So usually just one encounter for me
>>
>>48141824
Maybe one per three hours. So like two or three for and eight hour session. If your group likes combat or if they are plowing through the story maybe four. Remember variety if the best thing and encounters can be ended in many different ways. Encounters don't even need to be combats.
>>
>>48141926
Sacred Flame doesn't do 2d8 until level 5. Additionally, the target takes no damage if it succeeds on the save not half.
>>
>>48141940
Too strong
>>
>>48142153
I’ve just realized that I read everything wrong… Dyslexia make everything a lot weirder.
Anyway, I think I will ignore that fuck-up and go to bed.
Thank for correcting me anyway.
>>
>>48142206
>>48141940
And I didn't even see the 14th level ability

>Fire an arrow at every single enemy within 600 feet.

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>48141954
>I don't want pay $5 per figure
I heard there are lots of funny hobbies out there.
>>
Since this has turned into overpowered homebrew general anyone have any opinions or experiences on the Hand of Vecna Binder homebrew?

http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/06/book-of-binding.html?m=1

My first impression is that it is a little too versatile for 5e's party dynamics and may be a little too powerful with some of the short rest spells the vestiges grant.
>>
File: image.png (186 KB, 400x281) Image search: [Google]
image.png
186 KB, 400x281
>>48136631
fun thing my group recently discovered:
Frightened imposes disadvantages on all ability checks.
Initiative is an ability check as dictated by the clarified rulings on jack of all trades.

You can scare the piss out of someone to fuck over their initiative. This works best in games like the one i'm in, wherein initiative is rolled every round (takes two seconds and helps make it so investing into initiative shit isn't pointless after the first round)
>>
>>48141954

My best advice to you is to buy bases for cheap and to print out your NPCs or whatever. Definitely cheaper than plastic. It's what I plan to do when I start DMing.
>>
>>48138482
>One of the bits of lore that all Vallaki residents know is that the town drunk keeps fishing at the lake despite not being able to get everything.

Seems like it expects characters to, you know, actually investigate and ask about the town drunk. Then they'd get the lead to the lake.
>>
>>48137990
Or you are an immature child that fears commitment, I envy nothing you "have" because I work 80 hours a week at an easy job and I still have enough time to do the things I want. Heck half the time I'm prepping for a session mentally while I'm working.
>>
DMs, do you prefer to use a grid or theater of mind? The grid is nice to get in precise spells and making sure that movement is controlled well. But the theater of mind doesn't require a board and it may be easier to visualize the battle when you are just thinking it. What do you usually do?
>>
>>48139936
Like vital in combat or story purposes?

If its combat just scale your encounters back a bit
>>
>>48136757
It starts out okay, gets really good by level 11 then kinda plateaus
>>
>>48142526
I'm new to DMing but I'm trying to do grids for combat and theater of the mind for everything else. I'm basically trying to be a shitty version of Matt Mercer
>>
>>48136950
There's no restrictions on a Bladelock for forming a bond with a magic ranged weapon. Only that they can't create one out of nothing.
>>
>>48142607
>grids for combat and theater of the mind for everything else

Um, nobody uses grids for anything other than combat. You don't break out the battlemat for social interaction or track every 5-foot-square of overland travel.
>>
>>48142814
Well when you're overland traveling the marks on the grid aren't five feet.
>>
>>48142526
I rather use grids too. I play through roll20, so it takes some time to set up maps and such, but I've found it helps me and my players visualize and have a better grasp at what's going on. I've run like 2 combats with no map and they were fine, but in such cases there were fewer enemies and/or fewer PCs.
>>
Why would a fey agree to give a creature some its power? One of my friends is playing a warlock with a fey patron but her character doesn't know who the patron is. What my friend has told me about her backstory is
>do bad things to survive because people hate tieflungs
>voice calls out to her one day and says that it wants her to do good and will give her powers to do so
>we're a warlock now
What can I do with this?
>>
>>48142862
Dude, easy. Fey's misleading her. Everything she's doing somehow inadvertently harms someone else.

All the 'good' she does is probably just sanctioned violence against the determined 'bad' right? They're all enemies of that Fey or the patron's goals otherwise of course.

Alternatively, the fey creature's making amends for a past slight against the character's kin or kind in general.

Maybe they're being forced into doing it by a third party with unknowable interests in the character.

There's no end to the shit you can pull when 'it's magic' is the easel.
>>
>>48142862
"Muh forest" is the classic reason.
>>
File: Torchwick.jpg (44 KB, 474x604) Image search: [Google]
Torchwick.jpg
44 KB, 474x604
>>48140905
Yeah. Something like Geralt was what I was intending, as a grizzled, worldly hunter who's ultimately good natured but has had enough with everyone's bullshit to play nice (or I'd try to play it as exceptionally light-hearted to the point of practically being a magical girl character). I'd play a Ranger otherwise, but we all know how fun discussions on fixing the Ranger can be, so I thought the Blood Hunter might make an interesting substitute in the meantime.

How can he be best boy when he's not pic related?

>>48142597
Level 11 seems like the plateauing point, yeah, what with having access to all their primal rites, the damage pushed up to 1d10, and with all the lv11 features of their individual paths seeming pretty strong. So it's not completely useless or completely overpowered, then? I'm honestly not too fussed about the balance being perfect, but hey, it's still nice to know how it works.
>>
Are there any new classes yet? I'm super tired of the same stuff over and over.
>>
>>48143052

Probably not until next year, though if we're lucky, maybe we'll get a UA this year with another class or two.
>>
>>48142814
I used to until I realized how useless that was
>>
With Booming Blade and GFB, can a Dragon Sorcerer be a viable gish? If not, what is it missing?
>>
>>48143152

>what is it missing

Greater than 1d6 hit die, for one.
>>
>>48143172
Dragon sorcerers get 1d6+1 hitdice, so it's pretty much like 1d8s.
>>
>>48143196

1d8 hit die doesn't help the Monk much. Some Clerics can get away with it sometimes due to heavy armor, and don't even bring up bladelocks.
>>
>>48142312
Shit's pretty good. I'd let my players run one, at the very least to playtest it. If its too powerful you can always just talk with the DM to tone things down a bit, no biggie.

>>48142317
That can't be right. Mind walking me through the thought process so that I can understand?
>>
>>48143152
>what is it missing?
A decent weapon, a decent AC, and a decent hit points. Probably the best way to solve that is a dip of some sort, ideally as a first level to take advantage of a bigger hit die.
>>
>>48142632
Right, that's what I was complaining about. It doesn't make sense that they can't make ranged weapons when they can make any other type.

If you'll read, I even mentioned magical ranged weapons.
>>
>>48143337
I guess they were thinking a bladelock would want to create a bladed weapon
>>
>>48143457
Should have banned hammers, whips, mauls, quarterstaves, maces, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting too then.

What it really was:

Bladelock ranged damage is less than eldritch blast ranged damage. They didn't want to have a design with a "trap" option, even though that option is pretty cool if played flavorfully. They were also too lazy to balance bladelock so it would be a comparable option to eldritch blast.

And so we got bladelock in its current form.
>>
>>48143238
Sage advice, jack of all trades affects ability checks, initiative clarified to be a dexterity ability check
>>
>>48143495
well hot damn. gonna run that with my DM, prep myself for an argument.
>>
>>48143493
someone redpill a newb on bladelocks, because im really not seeing it

potentially more damage through 2 attacks, but at the cost of needing melee stats like dex and needing to (probably) be in close combat as a squishy

and eldritch blast goes up to 2d10 at level 5 right? which is when bladelocks get their second attack
>>
>>48143152
It can be done, but the gishs already present have in built survivabilty. Damaging spells doesn't not a gish make. Rangers and Paladin have medium or heavy armor. You could just be using Mage armor and Max Dex, which with 16 Dex that is 16 AC for 8 hours.

It can be done, but you aren't going to be out damaging anybody, you will just be a 9th level spell caster with martial properties, so a worse Valor Bard or Martial Cleric. But it can be done.
>>
>>48143547
dont forget the initial invocation costs just to play.
>>
>>48143547
It's a new way to play the warlock if you don't like eldritch blasting 24/7. Warlocks also get some neat combos, like true seeing and casting darkness. That means he can cast darkness on his weapon, and everyone has disadvantage on hitting him.

I know the max damage guide to 5e would mention the pally lock, cause you can use short rest warlock spell slots to fuel your smites. So 2 level 3 spell slots, 4d8 radiant damage on short rest at level 5. I haven't played it yet so I don't know the specifics though.
>>
>>48143607
whats with all the munchkin builds? noone plays this stuff in real life right?

I can imagine an entire tables faces cringing if you mentioned you were multiclassing warlock and paladin
>>
Is Tyranny of Dragons worth running?
>>
>>48143648

This is bait, right? It's just fucking multiclassing. A normal multiclass at that. I'd expect cringe if I were to start talking about my Fighter/Rogue/Paladin build that I've got in the backlog, but for a relatively normal pallock? Have some fucking sanity.
>>
>>48143648
fey patron and oath of the ancients isnt too far fetched...
>>
>>48143678
that one actually sounds kind of cool

>LMAO 2 OATHS!!1!
>>
>>48143648

Because they aren't necessarily munchkin builds. I'm currently playing a paladin/warlock; more specifically, Paladin of the Ancients and Archfey Warlock.

He is one of Oberon's Green Knights, sworn to protect the natural beauty of the world and further the agenda of the inscrutable Lord of the Wild Hunt. Carries a massive boar-spear and has stag horns as representation of his pact with Oberon.

So go fuck yourself if you lack the most basic creativity that you're willing to buy into the Stormwind Fallacy.
>>
Is it possible for a cleric who worships water djinns and genasi to be lawful evil?
Tempted to make a pirate cleric who follows as many of the genasi and nautical superstitions to the letter.
>>
>>48143845

>Is it possible for
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>48143845
I don't see why not
>>
>>48143648
Paladins can swear an oath to whatever.

They're a warlock who was so taken in by their patron that they started drinking the koolaid.

Sounds fun to me.

>>48143547
Bladelocks are a trap option mechanics wise. The lore is cool.

Mechanics wise, the only positive they have is interacting better with all the nifty features martials can get.
>>
Is there any place where I can watch videos of people playing, or chat logs for text games?
>>
>>48143853
>>48143857
Fair enough. Since theres no holy book of the sea il have to speak to my gm and try to arrange a code he would follow.
After several years our group is finally having the lawful good paladin bro, so I decided to stray away from my chaotic roots and make a heavily devout character for once.
>>
>>48143950
http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Also, casters>martials.
>>
>>48143950
YouTube, a casual one I like is Call of the Wild by Node, new player friendly. It doesn't teach the game but it's easy to follow and dramatic.
>>
>>48143955
Captain Barbossa from the Pirate's of the Carribean might be a good inspiration.

He always struck me as the mostly lawful foil to Jack's mostly chaotic character.
>>
>>48142570
Story. Being the only gnome in the party saved them a number of times.
>>
>>48139936
Ask the player what he wants: A compelling reason to leave, or a death in the storyline. Either way, work together with him to get that shit in the next session.
>>
>>48144018
Tell him it's not just switching the character out, you have to write him out. Explain why he is leaving, and maybe work on the story to incorporate a less biased group of NPCs.
>>
>>48143648
>Cringing at multiclass paladin/warlock
>Not being a conduit for radiant energy from the positive plane.

You're a shit paladin m8.
>>
>>48144144
im not a paladin
>>
>>48144014
Cant tell if hes lawful or neutral. He follows the pirates code but bends the rules often

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOloqwdESdc
>>
>>48144198
>He follows the pirates code but bends the rules often
Well I mean, the Code IS more what you'd call "guidelines", than actual rules.
>>
>>48144227
Yeah after rewatching the pirate kings "election" where everyone voted for themself, Barbossa definitely fits on the boundry of lawful evil. Not as dedicated as Beckett or Davy jones, but close enough compared to your average pirate.
>>
>>48142412
if you're past the age of 10 and still playing baby fucking kids games like RPGs it means you're the immature child
>>
>>48144422
So you either are a immature child or a shitposter who shouldn't be here and contributes nothing to the board
>>
>>48144198
Lawful characters can bend the rules as long as they get the spirit.

>>48144324
Exactly. At the end of the day, they're all pirates, but he's about as lawful as a pirate will ever be. He even goes legit in the 4th movie and works for the king.
>>
>>48143052
It seems like they will release the rune scribe along with Storm King's Thunder on September 6th.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-21+at+06.45.11).jpg (77 KB, 900x555) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-21+at+06.45.11).jpg
77 KB, 900x555
>Have session zero for an Eberron campaign I'm starting to try and have the party stay on track for once
>After explaining the setting, they settle on being a start-up inquisitive agency in Sharn
>Only have 1 PHB and 2 pdfs of it for the 5 players to use, so it takes forever
>Edgy guy who plays nothing but tieflings and drow makes a Tiefling bard, previously affiliated with House Thuranni in Lhazaar
>Tired guy makes a changeling rogue who is allied with Edgy, plans to go Swashbuckler after I tell him the strengths of the various subclasses, much to the distress of RP McGee who also made a changeling rogue, but from Sharn
>RP McGee is nearly offended by someone picking the same race/class even if different background, I have to convince them it's alright because rogues can vary so much and tell them to invest in Int and Wis skills for detective work while Tired invests in social
>Meanwhile, Glasses finishes his ex-soldier Warforged Fighter, which is built entirely solidly besides falling for the dump Dex meme
>Newbie takes an age with the book, but finally finishes his ex-soldier Dragonborn Fighter. Maxes Str, which is good, but for some reason took a 16 in Charisma and 12/13 in Dex/Con even though we have a bard and swashbuckler

>RP McGee is going to be out for the first 3 or 4 sessions, so the others are going to have to attempt to solve a mystery with what they've got
I feel that this is going to go somewhat poorly.
>>
>>48137664
Saying "tg/ game" is the same as saying "atm machine". You basically said "traditional games game".
>>
>>48144094
>maybe work on the story to incorporate a less biased group of NPCs

Nothing to do with that. The party as a whole has been getting a lot of use out of Minor Illusion, which they wouldn't have been able to do without the gnome.
>>
>>48145067
>changelings
>not only do you get something similar/better/almostasgoodas than a level 2 warlock's 'Mask of Many Faces', you're a shapechanger so you automatically succeed against polymorph effects and can polymorph yourself into a winged, flying humanoid of similar size if you've seen one ever before
>polymorph yourself into a fish-man and go swim
>polymorphing allows you to change not only your physical stats, but your mental stats
I know I'm extrapolating a lot, but fuck
You can't just write "You can polymorph at will" if you're making a goddamn official supplement.

Of course, it has been clarified that the use of 'polymorph' there is entirely wrong and that your stats remain the same and that presumably that also means you can't fly... But fuck.
>>
File: ColbertBrows.gif (216 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
ColbertBrows.gif
216 KB, 500x282
>>48145295
>Polymorph at will
What the fuck? No.
I've just given them Alter Self (Change Appearance Only) at will, +2Cha/+1Dex, Deception proficiency, and an extra language.
And I've not given them the shapechanger subclass either.

What, do you think I made Warforged immune to healing magic, too? I'm trying to run 5e, not scribe the 3e book.
>>
>>48145067
Aw yiss, a fellow Eberron DM. Good luck with your game dude.
>>
>>48142317
>(takes two seconds and helps make it so investing into initiative shit isn't pointless after the first round)
Initiative only concretely matters when you don't get your turn while you would have gotten your turn if you went earlier. This generally only happens when a participant dies (or otherwise leaves combat) so it doesn't make a difference if this was rolled on round one or round three. It's fuzzy, but it also matters when you turn isn't as good, but would have been better if you had your turn earlier, like with area effects sometimes. This typically only comes up on round one before anyone has closed to melee range. So I think rolling initiative every round doesn't make good initiative any more valuable.
>>
>>48145421
That's roughly how they intended to do it, I think. They really should have written it better.

'Your stats don't change' as they said on twitface or tumtube would imply that the only thing that changes is your physical appearance.
>>
>>48139280
Might be able to hide your race with the Charlatan background's False Identity.
>>
>>48136631
>no difference to casting true strike
>>
File: spookyenvironments.jpg (120 KB, 670x592) Image search: [Google]
spookyenvironments.jpg
120 KB, 670x592
Does this feel overpowered for a level 14 feature?

I'm trying to capture the idea of powerful magics infusing the land. Somewhat like the fisher king, but also like the crones from the Witcher. Also I'd like to capture the idea of the horror film, with the environment never being quite certain.

However, mirage arcane is a really powerful spell. I'm thinking of shifting it to hallucinatory terrain instead.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.