[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's all the hype for, /tg/? Only game I never see you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 7
File: SW_LOGO_24bit.png (178 KB, 550x297) Image search: [Google]
SW_LOGO_24bit.png
178 KB, 550x297
What's all the hype for, /tg/? Only game I never see you not praising.
>>
>>47941855
I guess it's just a pretty decent system all round for what it sets out to do. I mean, it's pretty uncontroversial
>>
File: NG-MRU886.jpg (62 KB, 640x867) Image search: [Google]
NG-MRU886.jpg
62 KB, 640x867
Solid game with some awesome setting books. Just simply not enough to bitch and moan about on /tg/

Savage Rifts players guide came out to backers yesterday, looks like they did a really good job with it so far.
>>
>>47941855

I don't like it, but I've got better things to do in life than rail against systems I didn't care for. Play what you you like.
>>
>>47941855
I think it's largely that doesn't have any glaring flaws, there's no editions to argue over, and it's not very complex so you can't debate about shitty builds or whatever.

The only real complaints I've seen are people who really fucking hate the exploding dice mechanic, but otherwise it's solid if you like rules-medium pulpy gameplay. If you don't like it it's more because of personal preference than game design failures.
>>
File: 1465499411994.jpg (73 KB, 564x977) Image search: [Google]
1465499411994.jpg
73 KB, 564x977
>>47941912
if all they did was port the setting and improve the art, Im happy
>>
I've been running an espionage/cyberpunk campaign, any settings books I could crib from?

Agents of Oblivion is basically carrying everything right now, but that doesn't really delve too much into futuristic settings.
>>
>>47941855

I'll list the three biggest reasons.

>Agnostic system that isn't GURPS or FATE
>Pretty good at what it does, while being reasonably modular
>Well liked settings like Deadlands, Slipstream, Weird War II, and Interface Zero.
>>
>>47942739

Isn't Interface Zero cyberpunk?
>>
>>47942915
It is. Does anyone ever run it? Maybe someone who'd take on another player with a shaky schedule?
>>
>>47941855
How the fuck have you never come across me bitching about the combat?

I still reccomend it, even though I loathe the fucking combat. Why? Because if you don't want to slog through GURPS and don't want to "play" FATE, there aren't that many other generic options. It's also easy to hack and adapt.

>BRP
Kindly fuck off
>>
Well, the core melee weapons are completely ridicilious, but that's just my autism speaking.
>>
>>47941855
It's a solid base and it's easy to modify.

>>47943196
What are your problems with the combat?

I'll go ahead and say I also don't really like it, but I think it's servicable with a few houserules.
>>
>>47943243
Yeah, I just use savage armory... or abstract it away.
>>
>>47943266
I don't have the time to go into detail right now, but the TL;DR version is:
The way damage and resisting is set up, it's often a pillow slapfest, where you simply do not feel effective, right up until the point where someone's dice explode and somebody gets splattered horribly against a wall.

The other part is that it's not uncommon for somebody to get stunlocked for the remainder of the combat, until somebody pillow-splatters his opponent.

I do have some other gripes with the game, like stats being basically only really a matter of bookkeeping, having anything on a D6 is nearly useless and, in fact, disadvantageous, the game forcing you to hyperspecialize to be acceptable at what you do and the standard character creation being extremely limited in terms of actually creating a character. No to mention the incredibly slow and unsatisfying character progression system. Spell balance is completely out of whack, I once made a character that had a 3/4 chance of shrugging off a rocket launcher, thanks to the armor spell. The remaining 1/4 meant instant death, nothing really in between.

Also, dear god, that one Merit that allows you to attack when somebody enters your melee zone. Jesus Christ.

When you play something as your main system for several years, shit piles up.
>>
>>47943243
In what way?
>>
>>47943325
Savage armoury? Whats that?
>>
>>47943374
Armor piercing katana's, stupid heavy swords, damage values that are kinda weird for the weapon in question. That sort of stuff.
>>
>>47943379
Fan-supplement with non-retarded weapon creation rules.

And some weapons statted out in advance just in case.

It's not perfect (I think it makes ranged weapons even more ridiculous, somehow) but it's a good step up.
>>
>>47942725

Its looks really good. Shit it makes Cyberknights and Busters as powerfull as the fluff implies. Meaning your better off using your powers rather than picking up a big ass gun likr the headhunter.
>>
>>47941855
Its my main system and i adore it.
>>
How do i break the system and make broken characters?
>>
>>47941855
What are you talking about? I haven't been in Savage Worlds threads in a long time but there used to always be a few people who would come in to shit on it.

Personally I like it, but it's no longer the system I think about when I think about running a game (mostly because I moved across the country and lost my old group and I am too much of a social retard to find a new one so I just read new systems).
>>
>>47942890
>Deadlands
Man, I remember a big thread on rpg.net inb4 >rpg.net about how anyone who plays or enjoys that setting is a racist slavery apologist. I just want my cowboys and monsters.

>>47943196
Why do you hate BRP?

>Why am I asking questions to posters from hours ago?
>>
>>47941855
It is pretty average. Not much to hate or love about this system.
>>
>>47945276
You don't.
>>
>>47945276
Do you really can't figure this out on your own? Getting a D10 in fighting is literally all it takes. Combine a D10 in fighting with high strength, a halberd and the talent that will let you attack every time an enemy enters your reach and you are a personified fucking meatgrinder that WILL solo any number of mooks with melee weapons.
Add in the armor spell and you are fucking invincible.

Or use ranged weapons. You don't even need to be really good at them, since you will always hit on a 4, no questions asked. Get the biggest ranged weapon you can get, stack supporting talents on that and kill everything forever.
>>
>>47941855
It's a good solid game. Not much to bitch about.
>>
>>47944516
It's so good. Just fucking awesome.
>>
>>47943370

With the Shaken rule errata the whole stun lock thing is pretty much a non-issue now. But yeah it did suck.

As for the First Strike edge, its only usable once per turn, and only if they aren't shaken so its really...not bad at all.

Also why do you say having a d6 in something is disadvantageous? Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it has nothing to do with you thinking a d4 is better due to the raise mechanic.
>>
>>47946936
>With the Shaken rule errata

??
>>
>>47947061
>He doesn't know

Since about last year they stated that when you recover from being shaken, if you succeed you can act as normal. No need for a raise. Failure still means only free actions can be taken though.
>>
>>47946936
To be fair, if you need to roll exactly 6 or higher, the D4 is better
(1/4)*(3/4) > (1/6)
>>
>>47947292
By like an insignificant percentage, but sure.
>>
>>47947363
Oh for sure. Its like 3/16 vs 3/18. But some people get autistically mad about stupid shit. I just tell my players they can roll any die under their current if they really want to.
>>
>>47947292
That's only true for six. Six is better at higher numbers.
>>
>>47947486
Don't worry, I'm aware. I just give them the option so no one bitches about it. So if they're shooting at a -2 penalty, since the DC is almost always 4, they can switch to a d4 if they think about it and care enough.

But like I said, I only give them the option to stop a few people I know from bitching about it.
>>
I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds personally, and I'm running a few games of it myself along with other games I'm going to play in with the system being planed. It's a messy system sometimes if you're gonna run long campaigns, but we use plenty of homerules now to make it more tolerable.

My main house-rule that I like is limiting explosions by rank. So for example at novice, a dice could only explode once, and at legendary it could explode 5 times. We also use the rule that hitting the explosion limit nets you a free benny.
>>
>>47946916

I know right? You actually want to bust out the the psi-blade and gut yourself a fucking mech now.
>>
>>47948640
>a few games
Describe any of them?
>>
>>47949330

I'm running a solo fantasy game for a friend with me DMing it, and him controlling anyone who he adventures with. It's been going well.

One of the other games I'm running is an Interface Zero game. I'm technically running two of them currently, both near each other with slight amounts of interaction between them. Both take place on the moon, one in Luna Prime, and the other in another colony on the moon.

I'm also running (kind of, it's been on hiatus but I'm going to continue it one day) a horror game I started running near Halloween last year, a survival horror type of game.

I've also ran a mecha game in Savage Worlds, based on mech on mech skirmishes ala Armored Core. That one actually went pretty well, and had an end where the characters became well off enough to retire.

I've also run a bunch of little one shots, like a zombie game on halloween one year and a "children fighting simulator" game where everyone had Young and fought.
>>
>>47941855
Because it's so utterly dull that the only people who talk about it are those who actually like it for some reason.
>>
>>47945686
>Combine a D10 in fighting with high strength, a halberd and the talent that will let you attack every time an enemy enters your reach and you are a personified fucking meatgrinder that WILL solo any number of mooks with melee weapons.

Dude, who cares? The whole point of Savage Worlds is that you're pulpy action-adventurers. It's like D&D without being shit.
>>
>>47949517
>pulpy
Why is it every time people use this word it just means "bad but I like it anyway"?
>>
>>47945686
>Do you really can't figure this out on your own? Getting a D10 in fighting is literally all it takes. Combine a D10 in fighting with high strength, a halberd and the talent that will let you attack every time an enemy enters your reach and you are a personified fucking meatgrinder that WILL solo any number of mooks with melee weapons.

At HEROIC rank, sure. Improved First Strike requires Heroic, otherwise you get 1 attack against one person that approaches each round with basic First Strike.

So obviously this means you don't like it because you have a bad group, who don't use the rules right.
>>
>>47949578
Because bad is subjective. Maybe you just don't like pulp?
>>
>>47945686
>you are a personified fucking meatgrinder that WILL solo any number of mooks with melee weapons.
Which is why some mooks carry ranged weapons.

>You don't even need to be really good at them, since you will always hit on a 4, no questions asked.
Unless your enemies use the most basic possible combat tactics, like cover.

Does your GM just throw waves of brain-dead melee minions at you all day, or something?
>>
>>47949439
>I'm running a solo fantasy game for a friend with me DMing it, and him controlling anyone who he adventures with. It's been going well.
I've thought about using Savage Worlds for fantasy but I just can't stop treating it like how the groups I played dnd (moreso 3.5 than 2e) played. Key points being combat with some kind of thought out strings tying them together.

I did better with Deadlands.
>>
>>47947432
>I just tell my players they can roll any die under their current if they really want to.
After all the complaining, I wonder how many of them actually take you up on that offer...
>>
>>47949717
The person I'm running it with has been watching a lot of anime recently, so they're more into the story we've had going on. But there's still combat, but I've made him learn to fear basic wolves by now, no matter how many he can one hit, they hunt in packs.

And it also helps that he hasn't been in one dungeon yet, and only knows of one that exists.
>>
>>47949729
Probably none, but at least the rule's there.
>>
Love the base system, minus a few things.

Players like it, they just complain it's not d20 based and flat static bonuses are rare.
>>
File: SavageArmoury.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
SavageArmoury.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47943325
>>47943379
>>47943461
>>
>>47947486
If you have to roll the highest number on your die, you're better off rolling a die the next size smaller. So a d4 is better at getting 6 than a d6, a d6 is better at getting 8 than a d8, a d8 is better at getting a 10 than a d10, and a d10 is better at getting a 12 than a d12 (though it's a relatively small difference and it only gets smaller as the dice get bigger). These are the only cases where you're better off rolling a lower die, and it's only true because dice skip a number when they explode. You can't roll exactly 6 on a d6, for instance, it goes straight from 5 to 6+1. Getting rid of that jump would fix the math if you thought it was worth the trouble--so rolling a 6 on a d6 would equal 5 + another die rather than 6 + another die (or if you wanted to limit people to one "explosion", you could say that rolling max on your second die equals 0).
>>
>>47943406
The katana is explicitly a movie katana, with stats to match.
A more realistic one is just the same as a longsword, but frankly realism is boring.
>>
It is a well-known fact that if /tg/ does not talk about something, it's good.
>>
Currently running a Savage Worlds cyberpunk game, one of the players got rich by selling a stolen suit of power armour to its manufacturer's rivals.
What can put a dent in a million dollars that isn't going to be broken as shit? Think Cyberpunk 2020 (it's pretty much a mix of that setting and some stuff I stole from Gibson)
>>
File: Capture.png (548 KB, 746x1072) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
548 KB, 746x1072
>>47943406
>>47954034
While the Katana from the Savage Armoury is an improvement, I like the idea of a very high damage (d6+2 = +4 ability), very low penetration (-2 damage vs. armored = -2 ability) weapon.
>>
>>47954048
I don't really have any idea how much awesome tech a million dollars should buy. In a world where a decent number of people have super-powerful cybernetic limbs , I lose any foundation to base my calculations on.
>>
>>47954166
The power armour was roughly a million, cyborg enhancements start at about 3-5 grand, pretty much everything else is the same as our world.
Maybe something like a jet or an aerodyne/spinner car? He's already reached around the maximum amount of 'ware he can take without risking it affecting his mind
>>
>>47949710
>Which is why some mooks carry ranged weapons.
Like I mentioned in my post?

>Unless your enemies use the most basic possible combat tactics, like cover.
-2 usually does fuck-all and reliably getting cover above that is damn hard. Hitting on a 6 is really fucking easy, especially if you want to be a shooty guy and have a decent ranged combat skilly anyway.

>Does your GM just throw waves of brain-dead melee minions at you all day, or something?
Fucking hell, no. But a group that's halfway decent at what they are doing completely invalidates anything that goes down in one hit before they even have a chance to properly act. And that's anyone not a Wild Card.

>>47949680
>At HEROIC rank
Yes, and? Doesn't change the fact that you completely erase any non-wildcard meele opponent once you hit Heroic.
>>
>>47956024
Extras are supposed to be plebs, don't act like one-hitting Extras at Heroic is a bad thing.
>>
My friend is going to run Kindgom Hearts in Savage Worlds soon, and I'm playing in that game.
>>
>>47954352
A dub. Bioforms. Psitech. A space ship. A SPACE SHIP. Golemmech.
>>
>>47943370

I just imagined someone's dice literally exploding
>>
>>47956673
You aren't going to build encounters 100% made from Wildcards. Ever.
Also, you are already onehitting extras at starting level reliably. Once you hit Improved First Strike, you 100% invalidate melee extras. Get a guy good at ranged and you pretty much instantly win most combats, even BEFORE heroic. Once you are at Heroic, it's a complete farce.
Trust me, we played that shit three times a week for years.
>>
>>47957936
Homerule harder, give enemies more health, use more bennies and soak more.

You're really only focusing on the negative so much because you probably overplayed it. It's not the worst system.

Also I STILL think you should at least be throwing hordes of extras at people in Heroic Rank, amping up challenges is part of making games fun. Environmental Hazards and lots of extras being commanded by multiple tough wild cards should be the minimum for anything Heroic if you're going to bother drawing cards.

So extras being one hit in fights like that isn't the end of the world. Extras should still be using tricks/tests of will too, and wild attacking/rapid attacking.
>>
>>47949578

pulp is generally known to be complete and utter plebshit

and its awesome, so suck a dick
>>
>>47957980
>>47943196
>I still recomend it

I wouldn't recomend it, if I thought that it was the worst system ever.
>>
I was thinking of using this game to run a solo adventure with the player exploring a hostile island somewhat in the vein of King's Field. Would Savage Worlds be suited to this?
>>
>>47949578
Because that's kind of the origin of the term. Robert Howard's works are considered iconic of the genre. His prose was awful, but the subject matter was so entertaining no one gave a shit.
>>
>>47945421
Yeah, I know some autist SJW who feels the same. It's really pathetic.
>>
How would die exploding(or Acing) only once affect the game?

Or alternatively what if larger dice could explode more times as aces become less likely.
>d4 can explode once
>d6 can explode twice
>d8 can explode three times
And so on?
>>
>>47959274
>Or alternatively what if larger dice could explode more times as aces become less likely.
That's not a bad house rule, really. It puts a skill ceiling on things so someone who has a d4 can't be better than someone with a d12, even by sheer luck.
>>
>>47959274
One of the mathemathically sound houserules is explosions always doubling the dice. This means less rolling, no multi-explosions, and mathematically, it is almost the same average.

It also means that you can't actually roll the highest value on your dice, since it always becomes a max value, so a d4 has a 1/4th chance to raise a 4, instead of a 1/16 th.... but doesn't have a chance to do that multiple times I guess.

Another interesting math fix (I may have read it this thread? slightly tipsy) is to just lower the dice by 1 every tiome it explodes. So a d6 on a 6 you roll again, and subtract 1. This fixes the wonkyness in the math where you sometimes have lower die with higher probabilities to reach certain numbers.
>>
there was mention of some good settings in svage Worlds. can anyone share some good ones?
>>
>>47960296

What sort of setting are you looking for?
>>
>>47962049
any good horror settings?
>>
>>47962100

Rippers, Deadlands.
>>
>>47962100
>>47962305 These. Also, East Texas University, which is Buffy the Vampire Slayer-style college horror.
>>
>>47962370
>East Texas University
I really wish I had known about that while it was being kickstarted. Need to pick it up at some time.

Grew up in Houston and have since moved away for work. I'm tired of everyone thinking all of Texas is either desert or plains.
>>
File: pulp.png (88 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
pulp.png
88 KB, 853x480
>>47949578
Pulp just refers to the paper quality most low-budget periodicals used for publication. There is no "pulp" genre, it's a misused definition. There were science fiction pulps and fantasy pulps and real crime pulps and superhero pulps. Some authors, like Robert Howard or Philip Jose or Raymond Chandler, were far better than what was then the normal pulp fare and so are better remembered.

I dare you to read Farewell, My Lovely and not like it.
>>
>>47962492

Ah yes, the alligator haunted swamps of our desert land.
>>
Holy shit, Interface Zero's equipment is terribly balanced.

>20 gauge is longer range and more powerful than 12 gauge in shotguns
>the Urchin and Street Talker apparently got their stat lines switched
>the three-barrel SMG has the same fire rate as the other submachine guns, better range (???), and otherwise is worse in every way
>hunting rifle with a "160x scope" still only has an absolute maximum range of 240 yards
>30mm "anti materiel rifle" with a 100 round belt, allegedly man portable
>damage and rof on EVERYTHING is all out of whack
>explosives are worse than just using guns

At least drones are marginally acceptable (even if the list is way too short) and cyberware is well done.

Any chance there's fan-made fixes or replacements for the equipment listing?
>>
>>47964218
>There is no "pulp" genre
I really fucking wish /tg/ would learn this.
>>
>>47941855
>Only game I never see you not praising.
Do you mean "The only game I never see you praising."

"Only game I ever see you not praising"

Or "Only game I always see you praising."

That double negative combined with my questionable faith in peoples English skills on the internet makes that a hard sentence to understand and answer.
>>
>>47966325
Why... why would a scope increase the range a rifle can shoot? I think you have been playing too much vidya, just cause you can see it doesn't mean the bullet can make it there, although 240 is a bit low for max range.

Also a 30mm anti-material rifle IS man portable, the 100 rounds of ammo may have to be on another person but the rifles that exist in the real world are man-portable although usually magazine fed.

Is the 3-barrel smg a rotating barrel or 3 firing at once. Because if it is a rotating barrel like it most likely is, then the fire rate would be the same accuracy may be shittier but the increased range would likely be their way of showing that heat warping hasnt fu-cucked up the barrels.

Not sure about the 20gauge and 12 gauge there may be a reason for some of it.

Stop getting your weapon knowledge from Fallout anon.
>>
>>47969914
Adendum, a 30mm rifle may not be easily man portable, I was thinking of the 20mm version which weighed between 80-100lbs upping it to 30mm might bring it up to 120-150lbs so... technically still man-portable... as long as you aren't carrying anything else and are in good shape, preferably going down hill.
>>
>>47969914
He's right in complaining about the 20 ga., it's got a smaller shell size than the 12 ga. It's probably just the writers thinking that higher gauge numbers must be better because that's how normal calibers work.
>>
>>47945421
I think I remember that thread. Didn't that poster get banned? Even arrpeg dot net thinks shit like that is shit.
>>
Like the pace and lethality. Don't like the fucked up statistical anomalies where sometimes a dice going up is bad for you.
>>
>>47970019
I honestly don't remember who all got bans from that thread. I'd assume a lot of people if things got heated from what little I know about how bad banning is there.
>>
>>47970130
I agree that it is an issue, but people like to blow it out of proportion. d6 is SLIGHTLY (~1.8% if the chart I'm looking at is correct) worse when you have a -2 penalty (and only then) at getting a success than a d4.
A d6 is SLIGHTLY (~0.8%) better at getting a raise than a d8, but it also doesn't succeed as often except in the rare exception of a -4 penalty which if I remember correctly is pretty rare.
>>
>>47941855

Less playerbase than the bigger system so it probably gets a free pass since fewer people has had time really digging into its rules.
>>
>>47956748
This isn't Interface Zero. Space travel isn't really a thing, and at best you can clone limbs at exorbitant prices.
>>
>>47958681

What kind of gameplay did you have in mind? Traps, hordes of enemies, puzzles, difficult skillchecks? Exploding dice make things unpredictable, you could end up breezing through difficult challenges, or dying to an unlucky crit from a mook. In a party with plenty of extras on both sides, it works fine, but I'm not so sure about playing solo.
>>
>>47966325

It's a game you play with friends anon, there is no need to have competitive multiplayer FPS level of balancing to have fun. You could also easily customize/rename the weapons to suit your needs/autism, or use something like Savage Armory.
>>
>>47970772

People who are bothered by statistical anomalies at that order of magnitude are honestly just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. I mean really, if you need your math to be as tight as Euclid's Elements, you are obviously not in this for the fun of roleplaying.
>>
>>47941912
Needs a bit of tweaking. Kind of irritating that the weapon section is just a series of statblocks with no fluff or pictures. Also, no rules for multiple-missile volleys.

A lot of the stuff that was supposed to be its own pdf is now just a paragraph and a statblock. Have to wonder how tiny the player's guide would be if they didn't hit the stretch goals.
>>
>>47944516
Cyberknights are fucking ridiculous now. Kind of makes sense given how broken Blessed and Templars were in Deadlands.

-2 to be hit by any technological weapon.
+2 toughness as a free action
Starts with a d8 Fighting and two free Combat edges.
Pace of 8 and a running of d10.
Starts with Champion edge so +2 toughness against supernatural evil.
Arcane Background(Psionics)
A good chunk of Psionic powers are self-only but free actions.
+2 Charisma with townspeople NPCs.
Psi-sword does huge damage if the player improves their Spirit at all.

Their only real drawback is that they have the AB(Miracles) drawbacks of needing to abide by their code of honor or their powers shut down. Oh, and they can't take Cybernetics.
>>
>>47954048
Have someone try to steal it.
>>
>>47971910

Yeah lets not forget that with some ISP usage the cyber sword can cut into MDC(Heavy) Armor
>>
Reading through the equipment section, it's become clear to me that they either need to buff the armor values on Power Armor or nerf the AP values on Mega-Weapons.

The Glitterboy has +18 MDC, which is great, but it doesn't have any bonus toughness(Unlike every other armor in the game). This means the average GB will be Toughness 23(18) compared to a portable Rocket Launcher with 6d6 damage and AP20.

Pretty much the only power armor that stands a chance against anything heavier than a light railgun is the Ulti-max, and once its shield is breached it's just as vulnerable as the others.
>>
>>47969914
The rifle itself would have more than 240 yards' range, and they sure as hell can't use a reasoning of "you can't see far enough".

The AMR is described as seven feet long, I believe the stats bring it in at 85 pounds unloaded, and it's tripod mounted.

The SMG has three fixed barrels firing at once.

I get my firearms knowledge from the guns I own.
>>
>>47970130
It's actually not. a 1-6% difference in probability isn't enough to make actual rolls that much different than they would be.

Also only autistic powergaming fucks care that much about the numbers behind their character.
>>
>>47972944
It's outright stated in the Savage Worlds rulebook that you're supposed to multiply ranges by 2.5 for real world values.

So a rifle with a range of 240 yards would be 600 yards. Which, granted, is fairly short range IRL.
>>
Dunno if you guys talking have found this, but the Sci-Fi and Supers companions added Extreme range to the game, which is pretty close to a real-world weapon's maximum effective range when you convert it into yards.
>>
>>47973769
Actually, that's multiplied (2x) already. It's listed as, if I remember right, 45/90/120 for range.
>>
>>47974336
Yes, but SW books list range in inches, with 1" equaling 2 yards. And then state that if you don't play with miniatures, extend ranges by 2.5.
>>
>>47975137
Yeah. So it'd actually be 300 yards. Which is still horrendously low.
>>
>>47976048
No, 120 times 2 equals 240 yards.
240 times 2.5 equals 600 yards.
>>
>>47972654
Don't forget that this stuff is designed with Soaking in mind too, so it's not like you're ever going to one-shot a Glitter Boy unless things go extremely wrong for everyone involved.
>>
Best (unintentional?) savage worlds general I've seen yet.

>>47949710
Not buying much of what you say here, or your following comments. Fact of the matter is that between extras and wildcards NPCs can have the exact (if not easily more) same power as the PCs.

No matter how powerful your party or what broken skill sets you think you've created, the GM should easily be able to create worthwhile encounters.

One thing I find savage GM consistently messing up on is preparing encounters wrong though (eg. goal of combat is to defeat all the enemies, not using the abilitiy to create the environment/conditions in witch the battle takes place to their advantage, forgetting basic benny use and not using combat skills or inflicting status effects other than shaken) A lot of times they run it as a straight forward traditional slugfest, and while I'm sure your GM did indeed "mix it up a bit" I'm highly doubtful that he was taking advantage of everything at his disposal to make challenging encounters if you think that melee mooks can be completely invalidated once you hit a certain point.

Feel free to throw up these character builds you speak of though, I would love to run some mock encounters with them just to see the supposed effectiveness.

>>47947292
>>47947363
>>47947432

This stuff. Yes, there is a statistical abnormality that happens with exploding dice when trying to hit a "specific" target number using a "specific" die where rolling a die type lower raises your chance of success by an "insignificant" amount..

If you don't like it, hey, homebrew a fix. Savage worlds is almost made for house ruling anyways.

>>47964218
huh, TIL I guess, always just kinda assumed it meant genaric/low level/basic. Although with the way people use it around here I guess that's more or less "correct" so to speak.
>>
>>47941855
Magic system can be finicky due to how loose it is but not a huge problem and the pros of such a system outweigh the cons. There is also a serious lack of utility spells in comparison to combat spells, but nothing some of savage fan supplements can't fix.

The Vigor stat needs some in game mechanical love. I struggle sometimes trying to get my players to justify putting points into it.
>>
>>47978174
One of my favorite proposed fixes for the lack of utility spells is actually pretty simple. When they use their skills they are using a spell do to it. Keeps it balanced so they won't overshadow that survivalist expert because they have a spell.

Swim? Either some water breathing or some sort of growing fins spell.

Tracking? I wouldn't give scrying but some pendant type magic (forget what it's called)

Notice? Some sort of hightened senses spell.

Even guts could be some bravery spell.

This isn't perfect. Utility spells are either self-only or you're giving everyone in your party access to the caster's skill list. But I still like it.
>>
>>47978119
I'm >>47949710, I think you meant to reply to >>47945686. You seem to be agreeing with my points, which all disagree with >>47945686's.
>>
>>47972996
>Also only autistic powergaming fucks care that much about the numbers behind their character.
I understand both sides of the issue, actually. It's a bit disconcerting to think that you're getting screwed over (even a little) on a particular roll because your stat is actually higher. On the other hand, the difference is small, and it's not necessarily unrealistic. Think of playing a fighting game against a complete noob who frantically mashes button vs. a noob who is just starting to learn a few things. In many cases, the button masher is going to be a bigger challenge to a semi-experienced player because he's so unpredictable.

But regardless, as I noted early in this thread, it's easy to fix the problem, if you see it as such. Don't allow dice to explode more than once and treat a maximum roll on your exploded die as a 0. Alternately, when dice explode, add the result to one less than the maximum value of the die, so that rolling a 6 on a d6 indicates 5+an additional die roll.

The only reason that the smaller die is ever better is because you're skipping over a number. You can't roll a 6 on a d6, as you go straight from 5 to 6 + another roll (which has a minimum result of 7).
>>
>>47979704
Aye, my bad.
>>
>>47980189
>The only reason that the smaller die is ever better is because you're skipping over a number.

Why is this a problem? There are not SW mechanics that are based off of getting EXACTLY one number, and nothing higher. Not being able to get a 6 and always getting a 7 instead base isn't a bad thing? Like I can't see why it would be bad.
>>
>>47980988
It wouldn't. I have no idea how his proposed fix will make a fix. You still have the same chance of getting at least a 6 with a d4 and a d6 as without his explosion change.
>>
>>47981377
My main issue, and I think a more pressing issue in general, is uncapped explosions. Someone in this thread gave a good solution (capping at explosions with die type, like d4 explodes once, d8 explodes three times) and I also suggested a rank-based fix for it (rank limits explosions, 1 explosion at novice, 3 at veteran) and both seem workable at least.
>>
>>47981377
>>47981664

Some guy suggested just allowing players to use a lower die-type if they want.
>>
How's movement work? I don't like games with finicky movement tracking.
>>
>>47981957
Base characters have a set pace, and can lower it by low numbers or raise it with edges and hindrances.

It's measured in inches on a tabletop, with each inch being two yards or so. Each character has a base pace of 6".
>>
>>47981664
Ah well in that case I can see what your fix does. I thought you were trying to fix the issue about the d4 --> d6.

>>47981957
It's inches. Game assumes you have miniatures.
>>
>>47962370
I ran ETU for a couple months, everyone liked it. Fun game.
>>
>>47981957
It's based on tabletop inches, but you don't miss out on anything by skipping maps. I haven't used a map for a Savage Worlds game in like eight or nine years, and I run the system constantly.
>>
>>47982008
Also movement is a free action every turn, and you only ever provoke an attack if you LEAVE someone's attack range, or ENTER if they have first strike and still have an attack available from it.
>>
>You still have the same chance of getting at least a 6 with a d4 and a d6 as without his explosion change.
Not if I understand what you're saying correctly.

In order to get a 6 on a d4 in RAW, you have to roll a 4 and then a 2 or higher. That's 1/4 * 3/4 = 3/16 (an 18.75% cance). In order to get a 6 on a d4 in the alternatives, you have to roll 4 and then either a 3 or a 4, or a 2 or a 3 (depending on which alternative version). That's 1/4 * 2/4 = 2/16 (a 12.5% chance).

Meanwhile, getting a 6 on a d6 is going to be a 1 in 6 chance, regardless of whether you use RAW or one of the alternate methods. That's a 16.67% chance.

So the chances of getting a 6 or higher are...
RAW d4 = 18.75%
d6 = 16.67%
Alt d4 = 12.5%

Clearly, it does change the math. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?
>>
>>47982368
Goddammit. Went to fix one problem and then left out the link.

>>47982368 is responding to >>47981377
>>
everyone else pretty much hit it on the head saying that there's not a lot to complain about which is why it doesn't come up on here
>>
>>47982368
You're forgetting about the wild die and it isn't about hitting 6 it's about beating 6.

And I will admit I was an idiot and was only thinking of the d6 probability instead of how it would affect the d4.
>>
>>47982449
>You're forgetting about the wild die
The wild die does bring the systems closer together, but it doesn't erase the difference.

>it isn't about hitting 6 it's about beating 6
It's about getting a 6 or better, which is what those percentages represent.

In any case, I don't think it's a big deal. The advantage a d4 has over a d6 is infrequent and small, but some people can feel like they're being cheated, and I can kind of understand that.
>>
Does Savage Worlds work for one-on-one games?
>>
>>47982688
I've never done it, but it's probably actually pretty decent at it. One of the things the system works for is making it easy to have a bunch of mooks controlled by a player.
>>
>>47982688
It's pretty great for one-shots, and the company has released a ton of free one-shot adventures for it.
>>
>>47982688
Yeah it's fine for that, rules light enough to not be intrusive to any given personal playstyle or storytelling.
>>
>>47941855
It's a generic RPG that has lots of supplements and settings.

I for one, however, am not a fan of its mechanics. But some of those supplements have good fluff I've used with other systems.

Game mechanic relies far too heavily on bennies, to the point they also double your party's hit points.

Also not a fan of there being points where you improve a skill and it actually makes your odds worse. (There are some simple houserules to fix this using fate dice, but still).

You can remove them, but that makes things damn near impossible, and if you give slightly too many it's a fucking cakewalk.

Tried it hated it moved on to unisystem, was quite disappointed moved on to brp, it was okay but not genre flexible enough, so moved to ova, ova is crap: looked into hero and GURPS, moved onto GURPS, just getting into GURPS but so far I like it more than either of those other two, and it seems to do everything I need, though it takes more prep to start the campaign and adjust it to your setting, it can actually be adjusted to your setting.
>>
>>47942699
It has a few different editions, actually.
>>
>>47941855

Friendly bump because Savage Rifts is actually pretty awesome.
>>
>>47989150
Most savage settings are pretty awesome. I'm actually upset my players aren't up for Weird War II
>>
>>47989747

Isn't that the one with the Nazi Werewolfs?
>>
>>47990257
Yes.
And the campaign has a very high chance of you fighting them with a vampire blood mage Hitler at their head as a finale if you fuck up especially badly.
>>
>>47942890
>weird war
My first RPG experience was with a couple of guys from Teegee playing on roll20 playing Weird War, it was the most fun I've had in a tabletop ever
>>
>>47990751
Jealous now. I've wanted to do a French resistance/British commando campaign with it for a very, very long time.
>>
>>47978119
>Although with the way people use it around here I guess that's more or less "correct" so to speak

Just because a word is misused often doesn't make its misappropriated definition "correct"
>>
>>47941855

The one glaring flaw of the system are exploding dice.

It's really fucking stupid they the worse dice you have the higher chance of crazy crits you get.
>>
>>47990944
It's essentially beginners' luck. And damage exploding makes everyone really, really cautious about getting into combat without a plan, which I like.
>>
>>47990975
The only issue you come across is when you have players who manage to make their dice explode to absolutely dramatic effect every time on boss enemies.
>>
>>47991086
Give them alternative d4s that aren't shit or demand they roll the dice instead of dumping them on the table. Problem solved.

Also if you're running a boss enemy and you haven't given him a bucket of mooks as backup or some other reason the players can't just stove his face in with a string of boxcars you're a goddamn idiot.
>>
>>47990804
We were in Sicily, we didn't actually get that far into what was supposed to be the game so my DM shifted it into a Ragnarok game, that was fuuuuuun shit
>>
>>47991346
A shame.
My friend had a grand time running the Rattenkrieg adventure in the corebook, I thought you might've played that with him at first.

As much as I dislike Lovecraft, there's some extra stuff from Achtung Cthulhu that really, really should be available in a Weird War II game, like the expanded National Identity edges (Kiwis are fucking terrifying, especially if you have a very lucky player who keeps rolling raises to hit)
>>
>>47991086
Doesn't the rulebook itself state this? I'm pretty sure I read in the book that the final battle should never be against one big guy, it should ALWAYS be against a ton of mooks.
>>
>>47991874
It also recommends using things like heavy armor, traps, and so on. But most people don't read more than the basic rules, and almost never think outside the box.

Heck I've had final fights end with a negotiating table after a few nooks went down and one of the PCs convinced the BBEG that ending the civil war and rebuilding the nation would be better for everyone.
>>
>>47945421
i had a party of Confederate vets and Indians, no apologists here no advocates either.
>>
>>47992166
Sounds like you're a group of reasonable, educated, adults.

I honestly wish I could address more sensitive issues like racism, sexism, religious and ideological violence, and so on, in my games without someone throwing a fit about how attractive heterosexual white male characters have no right to complain or comment about anything happening in the setting.

It's frustrating how many times I've been called sexist, racist, homophobic, and worse simply for not allowing a Lakota warrior or Nigerian, or similar in a game set in 10th century Europe. Or for allowing one and having NPCs treat them with distrust and such.

Never run games for college students, they're still retarded.
>>
>>47992070
it was a whole different system altogether, but one of my fondest GMing memories was my player's two hour talk with an undead king, just negotiating to stop him from flooding the nearby town with undead by learnig what caused his unrest and agreeing to do some errands for him
>>
>>47992418
Sounds like a blast. What did he need from them?
>>
>>47992438
IIRC as a tribute of good will he wanted a bit of glowing rock they were holding onto for no good reason, that he knew what was and they didn't, and he sent them off to deal with the current, unlawful ruler of the land, but that's where one of players had to leave for hospital for couple months, nad we never got back to the game unfortunately
>>
>>47985888
Yeah, a few editions with very minor changes and even then the changes are pretty well regarded as improvements. No threads are going to be made with someone shitting on Deluxe in favour of Explorer's edition.
>>
>>47993380
I dunno, firing both barrels of a sawn-off counting as autofire makes no fucking sense to me.
And I hate the card initiative system and wish they actually wrote in the d12-based roll alternative like they used to.
>>
>>47969586
He means, the only game I never see you bitch incessantly about.
>>
>>47985733
>brp, it was okay but not genre flexible enough
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>47990861
It is "correct" in terms of understanding what the person is trying to convey. If some one continuously calls a dog a "cat", while that is wrong, it would be "correct" for me to understand they are referring to a dog when that particular person says "cat".

I'm not claiming that misusing a word makes its misappropriated definition "correct", I'm claiming that the understanding that the word is being being used in a different way and accounting for the context is "correct" for communication purposes..
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.