[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: 1450722605640.jpg (219 KB, 800x1010) Image search: [Google]
1450722605640.jpg
219 KB, 800x1010
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

>Old Thread
>>47858059
>>
who /redbrands/ here?
>>
File: blood_magic_by_tanathe-d5k4946.jpg (172 KB, 781x1024) Image search: [Google]
blood_magic_by_tanathe-d5k4946.jpg
172 KB, 781x1024
Reposting here...
So my level 7 warlock has a total of 10 cantrips that he can use, two of which are eldrtich blast and spare the dying. What are some good choices for the other 8? Three need to be warlock cantrips, two can be from any one class, and the other three can be any cantrip in the game. I'm thinking about making the two be guidance and thautmaturgy from the cleric list.
>>
>>47869836
Do you have the Misty Visions invocation? If not, get Minor Illusion.
>>
>>47869950
Why would anyone not have Misty Visions?
>>
>>47869950
>>47869959
I don't have misty visions, so duly noted.
>>
>>47869836
Create Bonfire, Repelling Blast people into it.
>>
>>47869995
Is Create Bonfire actually good or is it just the current meme spell?
>>
>>47870004
I like Create Bonfire a lot.

Memes aside, it is your only real battlefield control spell at early levels.
It's one of the only things to use your concentration on at early levels.
It's a cantrip and the damage scales.
It's a good way to light up darkness and get fire.
You can use it to defend yourself against melee attackers.
It's a good use of action economy.

It's a fantastic cantrip, in my opinion. I liked it before all the memes.
>>
Can anyone tell me if crown or divine pallys are any good?
>>
guys if I have Find Steed up and cast Create Bonfire does it work like Cone of Cold does and duplicate the spell
>>
>>47870231
Can you explain what you mean by that a bit more?
>>
>>47870200
Biggest issue I have with Crown Paladins is that Turn the Tide doesn't scale well at all. I'd probably tune that a bit if my PC wanted to go Crown.
Unyielding Spirit also does seem a bit weak, especially when compared to the other oaths' 15th level feature.
I'd say the fact that the Oath spell list has a lot of already Paladin spells is another problem.

That being said it's a pretty good Oath I think. Paladins in general in this edition are great, so the Oath is mainly here to complement that and provide good RP.

> I dunno what "divine pally" is.

>>47870231
Fuck off
>>
What do people think of the caster-druids? Is the spell list and advantages enough to carry the class or is it dwarfed by it's melee brothers and other caster classes?
>>
>>47870254
Did I get it wrong? Isnt Divine the vanilla pally?
>>
>>47870296
There is no "vanilla paladin", they all have an oath that needs specification.
>>
File: Jailer.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Jailer.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Fun or not? Based on the Dark Souls 3 enemy
>>
>>47870319
I meant the first oath the most vanilla of all oaths
>>
File: paladin 2.jpg (170 KB, 709x983) Image search: [Google]
paladin 2.jpg
170 KB, 709x983
>>47870296
>>47870319
>>47870328
It's called Devotion
>>
>>47870296
Maybe you mean Oath of Devotion? If you do, it's a great Oath. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Paladins in 5e.

Devotion is amazing at all stage.
Ancients is amazing later on (aura).
Vengeance is crazy good at what it does.
Crown could need a bit of help, but mainly because strong Oath features are important to the class.
Oathbreaker is unavailable to PCs and rightfully so, since it's absolutely fucking broken.
>>
>>47870328
You need to leave those old outdated ideas behind my anon-bro!
>>
Has anybody seen a Mystic (Immortal) in action yet? I'm working one up for Strahd, and I'm looking at heavy armor and a two-handed weapon, but I'm not sure if per-round temporary HP will be enough to cover for both the lack of a shield and the d8 hit die on the group's primary melee guy. How durable are Immortals in actual play so far?
>>
Want to make a Fighter Archer build I dont know if battle master or champion is better.
>>
>>47870290
I think they're pretty fun, coming from someone who's playing a Circle of Land Druid right now and has played one briefly for a one-shot, but I've realised that their potential comes an awful lot from their Circle spells, and it's important to choose the right one for what you want to achieve. It's like choosing a miniature Cleric domain, so remember to pick the one that actually benefits and enables the style of gameplay you want.

It's enough to be carried, sure, the fact that Moon becomes incredibly tanky has nothing to do with Land's viability. Just 'cause Moon is really good doesn't stop Land from still being good.

Takes a few levels to get off the ground though. Early Druid spell lists are kind of basic.
>>
>>47870454
Both are solid, but I will say, Battlemaster will be a lot more fun to play, just because it has more active abilities and options to choose from.
>>
>>47870457
What's your reasoning to choose Circle of the Land ? It seems so... boring? I dunno. 6th level feature is a joke and it just feels like there's no interactivity or interesting mechanical interactions in the class.

I have difficulties with druids to be honest. I feel most of the time they're not played like they should, because if they were, the guy wouldn't tag along with the rest of the party.

How do you play yours in a way that you're not constantly complaining about muh nature and doing cool things with it?

Man, I kinda want to DM a primal party.
Druid, Totem Barbarian, Ranger... That's the only way I see them fit somewhere.
>>
>>47867931
Yes. There are no 5e mechanics for Eberron-specific stuff, though (some races... Warforged, Shifter and Changeling... dragonmarks and terrible artificer (as wizard subclass)) are in one of the first Unearthed Arcana articles, but they need some polishing (and the artificer just doesn't feel like 3.5 artificer, even WotC admited it was a mistake). Some setting-specific monsters would need homebrew too,if you want to use it.

But overall, all 3.5 Eberron books are great for fluff, and still valid in that respect even 2 editions later.
>>
Quick, help me decide what character to use for my next campaign

>senile old wizard who has to rhyme all his spells to use them and despises it
>cavalier battlemaster who is all about chivalry and being that "knight in shining armor"
>frumpety dragonborn sorcerer who acts a lot older than he is
>old sea captain bladelock who is pretty much pirates of the carribean's Davy jones
>>
>>47870531
In order:

>Gimmick, don't do use it.
>Generic
>Could be interesting/funny
>Could be MORE interesting/funny
>>
Okay guys I think I fucked up

My party TPK'd to the shambling mound under death house and I revived them all with dark powers gifts
What should I do now? How should I have them leave the house?

My idea was just treat the house as not haunted anymore, as if "it was all just a dream"
So have things like the secret passage and the dungeon at the basement disappear, but plant things here or there that hint at what actually happened, and the house is now completely un-haunted

I don't know what I should do, any ideas?
>>
File: Staff_concept_art.jpg (108 KB, 705x828) Image search: [Google]
Staff_concept_art.jpg
108 KB, 705x828
>>47870531
You and everyone else will tire of the first one quickly.
Second one is pretty unremarkable.
I like both the others, I'd personally go for the Dragonborn.
>>
>>47869791
The hell is redbranding?
>>
>>47870588
If they want to leave just have the House be hostile as determined by the adventure
>>
File: redbrand ruffian.png (481 KB, 761x1000) Image search: [Google]
redbrand ruffian.png
481 KB, 761x1000
>>47870636
Redbrands are the enemy gang in the starter set, I think
>>
>>47870615
You know, I always thought staves being a "weak" weapon only made sense if they are always and consistently made out of some kind of hardwood.
A lot of that Dragon Age junk looks like it's a shaft made out of metal. No. 2 looks for all the world like a fuck-off huge mace, which would really ruin your goddamn day if a solid hit landed just from sheer mass.
>>
>>47870636
LMoP bandit gang
>>
>>47870662
I agree, but then in Dragon Age a lot of the staves have blade attachments for that purpose exactly, fucking people up who get too close while you're twirling about at throwing fire or whatever.
>>
>>47870657
....alright.
So how do you /redbrand/ then? Get wasted by an adventurer for your XP value and the piddly amounts of look you carry?
>>
>>47870490
Role playing wise, while druids would be reduced to psycho terrorists in any kind of industrial age, in the vague time period of "D&D Land" there is less of an issue.

Clearing a few trees to use to build a house then using the cleared land for crops and animals isn't "destroying nature" by any but the most extreme views.

Seeing the world is also a good reason to adventure, only if you're a fanatic "our path is the only right way to do things" does not learning about other lands and cultures and druid circles not work.

A lot of classes have fine reason to sit at home and not go out, not sure the druid has much more than others. Lots of reasons for walkabout for druids as much as anyone.
>>
>>47870677
Probably.
Or maybe just wear a red cloak and hang around looking shady
>>
>>47870490
That's the party composition of Node's 5e series about a wilderness tribe
>>
>>47870454
>>47870465
Seconded with Battlemaster, mainly because as a Fighter/Archer you only need Dexterity and Constitution to be high.
My favorite Battlemaster build, especially strong early on, is Inspiring Leader (Human Variant) with 14-16 Charisma and using the Rally maneuver. Taking Parry, Trip attack and whatever.
And if you get bored of it you can always go Bard after a while and inspire people up.
>>
>>47870490
My reasoning was that I have a huge fondness for creepy witch types and the Land Druid makes a rather good one. Mechanically they're prepared divine spellcasters that have plenty of wild and nature themed abilities, which appeals to me a lot, and I like that they have a healthy mix of support and control spells. Land's Stride has situational usefulness, so I understand not liking it too much, but if you're up against a lot of natural enemies then it's actually quite a good defensive power, even if it does kind of require a campaign focused on exploring the wilderness. They still have access to utility wildshape after all, which means they always have a way to fly or swim when a Wizard might have to prepare a spell to do it, and I think they have a decent spell list once you get past the first level array (which isn't even that bad, just kind of uninteresting). Natural Recovery pushes their spellcasting a lot further than I thought it would once you hit lv5 or so.

Huh. Consider this; Clerics get prepared spellcasting and some additional spell prepared based on their domain. Wizards don't get additional domain spells, but they do gain an ability to recover spell slots so they last longer over a day in exchange for having fewer options. The Land Druid gets both of those things.
>>
>>47870676
Yeah, I guess mages in Thedas seem to be a bit more "active" on average compared to D&D mages, which in many settings logically wouldn't need to adventure at ALL to do their jobs well.

The way I've always played them and narrated them is that PC or adventurer Wizards where scholars the way Indiana Jones was a college professor; technically accurate, but the vast majority of people in his profession do NOT do the kind of "hands-on" research he does, so to speak.

>>47870680
>A lot of classes have fine reason to sit at home and not go out, not sure the druid has much more than others. Lots of reasons for walkabout for druids as much as anyone.

I always try to portray adventuring types as exceptional, not necessarily in power (at least until the PC's get there) but in terms of motivation and career choices.
A Class is your skill set, but not necessarily a job description in and of itself, especially with 5e's class Archetypes; a Fighter can be damn near anything and a lot of those things would likely pay more consistently and be less suicidcal then adventuring would.
Even Classes were actively roving around looking for trouble is vaguely implied such as being a Paladin (evil ain't gonna go smite itself after all) could actually reasonably be expected to do their jobs better in a group like a military branch or knightly order or something.

It takes a special kind of crazy to actively go out into dangerous areas and fight monsters with completely random chances of reward and a large chance of the opponents eventually being exotic shit that's why outside your league and field of experience.
>>
>>47870588
Just reanimate them outside the house
>>
>>47870726
And on the topic of how to play it by not complaining about muh nature? Well, the one-shot character I mentioned was a mad goblin shaman, a little more concerned with being generic Chaotic Evil and setting things on fire than caring too much about nature. Obviously not well fleshed out since it was just for a one-shot, and I thought I'd play something a little bonkers, and it was a chance to play a rather gungho druid which was fun.

The witch I mentioned above is a lot more fleshed out as a character, and is one I'm using for an actual campaign. Someone who understands their power comes from a natural source, and while they do give it the respect it deserves, see it as more of a tool than anything, just like any Wizard might see their arcane power. It's a source of magic, so why not use it? She's an alchemist by trade, so that requires a deep knowledge of the various properties of medicinal plants, and her knowledge of the wilds helped her tap into that power for her own use.

I know those are some more specific case, rather than actual tips on how to avoid the trope if you don't enjoy it, but maybe it'll give you some ideas.
>>
Trying again.

I've been playing a non-combat focused the last 2 years, which wouldn't do well on Roll20. Would you recommend a more combat-focused 5e game or to try out 4e to take full advantage of having grid combat and all that?
>>
>>47870746
Think of Druids less as environmental protection activists because pretty much all D&D-style settings are WAY before that kind of thing is a huge and widespread problem (unless you're playing in the Witcher universe and therefore Druids act like activists as a joke).
Think of them more like Clerics, but their religion is more old-school and less organized. Druidism is their religion, but it's not about praying and sacrificing and living up to your ideals because nature don't give a fuck; it's instead about understanding what's already there in the world and making use of it.
They understand nature and as long as they aren't crazy they know that you change one thing and you change a dozen others without meaning to, and are intensely aware that actions have consequences even if you aren't aware of them immediately (high Wisdom score helps with that).

A Cleric gets his power loaned.
A Warlock barters for his power.
A Wizard makes his own power from scratch.
A Druid however, uses what's already there and nobody else is bothering to notice.
>>
>>47870792
What about Bards?
>>
>>47870797
Bards want you to think it's about music, but they're full of shit.
They're gently fucking the universe until the universe gives them magic as a way of thanks for being sexy and good at it.

Magical prostitutes, basically.
>>
>>47870797
Bards draw their power from pre-marital intercourse.
>>
>>47870812
See? This guy gets it.
>>
>>47870792
Or just be a Sorcerer, and get your power from being a special snowflake!
>>
>>47870792
Druids in the book get power from a nature deity or from nature itself, quite like clerics but recieving different powers. I can dig your fluff though, makes Rangers make sense as well.
>>
>>47870792
Yeah, this is how I'm running it in a sense. Just like any Wizard knows with magic any action leads to a reaction, so does the Druid, they're just naturally inclined towards expressing that in a more physical kind of magic. As I said, witch, less inclined towards preserving nature than they are about how they can use nature for their own benefit. They understand it's a powerful, living entity in the same way a traditional druid would, and that it's a huge well of power that's all too easy to tap into and utilise. Respect or not, it's a tool than can be used, and if you have the resources and the knowledge on how to use it, why wouldn't you?
>>
>>47870803
>>47870812
Sounds like Bards have the most fun.

>Whole party comes out after recharging the spells and gaining new ones.
>Cleric: "I just spent hours on my knees praying to my deity for guidance and power."
>Warlock: "I just carved off another piece of my soul for power that I control but ultimately damns me to thralldom after death, or even in life."
>Wizard: "I just spent hours pouring over old tomes and extrapolating arcane formulae to hack the physics of the universe to obey me through words of power and focused intent of will."
>Sorcerer: "I just spent hours exercising my innate magical muscles to increase my power through experimentation."
>Band: "Oh man, I just spent hours fucking the shit out of three chicks at once! She's gobbling down on my cock and then she brings in her sister who gets all jelly and joins her to 'prove her love' or something and then that hot Fighter babe we travel with walks in and it turns out she's bicurious and super into anal sex!"
>>
>>47870746
>>47870726
Finally I get some insight from a player that actually seem to have put thought into his druid! Thank you very much. If you'd like to talk a bit more about your character's motivations, background and/or ways of thinking, I'm all ears.

It just seems to me that Circle of the Land should be a lot more shamanic. Giving them (and not to the class in general) Ritual Casting, communication with the spirits, hex and curses... Or maybe just giving them some of that Ranger flavor with Natural Explorer on their terrain and such.

I also wished there were ways to prevent a Moon Druid to shapeshift. I can't really see any, and I don't want it to feel forced for the PCs, but there are a lot of answers a DM can conjure up against most classes.

You do have a point about them getting benefits from Cleric & Wizard spellcasting. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea or something. It shouldn't impact how I feel, but I always get close, at the beginning of a campaign/scenario, to ban them altogether.
>>
>>47870836
I actually portray Sorcerers as having innate magical abilities that they have to "work out" with the same way a Fighter needs to practice his skills.
They don't need to spend as much time on their skills like the Fighter comparatively does for a Wizard, but a Wizard understands the underlying mechanics better and so can do more with it eventually.

Sorcerers are Wizard-Jocks, basically.
>>47870837
Getting it from nature itself is what I meant.
If you sacrifice animals to nature, it doesn't care.
If you pray to nature, it doesn't hear you.
If you go on quests to prove your faith in nature, it doesn't notice.
If you talk to it, it doesn't talk back.

But nature is always THERE, and just like wood or food can be found and used by anyone who takes the time to learn, listen, and look for it.
And the Druid's power should work the same way.
>>
>>47870860
I don't see it as mutually conflicting or even needing different fluff.
Druids take their power from nature, but what they DO with it depends on the person and is highly variable, the same way environmental protection groups can disagree on the right way to protect the environment.
And that's only if said Druid is deep into the Druid circle stuff; maybe he's just a person that understand's nature's power and understands how to access it and utilize it, like any trained woodsman or herbalist does in his or her own way.
>>
I'd like to apologize for creating the current Create Bonfire meme. My tablemate and I just thought it was cool is all. Sorry.
>>
File: songbirds and lighthouses.jpg (688 KB, 1200x752) Image search: [Google]
songbirds and lighthouses.jpg
688 KB, 1200x752
>>47870963
The metagaming minmaxing idiot that was trolling the past three threads is the one to blame. You just uncovered something fun and added to our collective knowledge. Nothing to apologize for.

Also, when are you going to marry this tablemate of yours? You know she wants it.
>>
>>47870994

It's a he actually. I've no interest in marrying him.
>>
File: current year.jpg (250 KB, 3654x1734) Image search: [Google]
current year.jpg
250 KB, 3654x1734
>>47871021
triggered
>>
I usually DM for adventurers league, but now I'm playing. Which means I get to start a character for a level 1 game at level 4.

I'm going land Druid and taking healer.

For my level 4 feat, I'm considering taking Mage initiate to get find familiar and cantrips which don't require ability modifiers

What land type do you suggest?What spells do you suggest? I'm definitely considering flaming sphere
>>
>>47871078
why would you take healer when you have goodberry and cure wounds
>>
>>47871078
>Level 1 game at level 4
Wouldn't that be a steamroll? Also how is DMing Adventure League?
>>
>>47870780
More combat focused 5e, why would you not do that?
Why bother learning a new system for almost no reason?
>>
>>47870872
Her concept started off as "how do I make the most generic witch possible?". The setting is anti-magic, with the exception of druid magic due its more physical roots (that was a pun), while tensions over the last century has tarnished the reputation of arcane magic and physical manifestation of the gods. She was raised in an isolated coven, and spent her early years pouring over tomes detailing history, magic, and alchemy. She was a prodigy, but always found conflict with her mentors, and so bounced between several before she was finally sent away from the coven at ten years old to train with one of the coven's numerous loosely-associated witches. She aided them as a trainee caster and alchemist, and aided the local villages by dealing with the problems they face, from curing plagues to scaring off that pack of wolves that the villagers are *convinced* is in fact a group of werewolves. When her mentor died she took over and finished her training with hands-on practice, and even took on an apprentice herself.

She's ultimately good natured, but a lifetime of dealing with the uninformed peasantry who are constantly worried some hag's moved in or a demon put a curse over their family means she's a little... patronising towards anyone who isn't a spellcaster, or at least haven't proved themselves to have a similar depth of knowledge (our Rogue for example has Expertise in Arcana despite not being a spellcaster herself for example). Very "mother knows best", even though she's only in her early twenties. She has a fascination for magic, druidic, arcane, and divine, and her vast knowledge of the more forbidden types of magic has gotten her a lot of strange looks, even if the fact she doesn't practice any of those things has avoided her from face any kind of proper persecution (just wait until I get Ritual Caster: Wizard though...).
>>
>>47871084
Because healer does not require spell slots. I do plan on using downtime to fill people's pockets with goodberries.

>>47871135
It's not a steamroll. Sure, I have more HP and spells, but i don't get an additional proficiency bonus. My level 1 spells are not stronger than other PCs level 1 spells.

It's... Alright, honestly. It's very tactical, there's a certain sense of "fairness" and "balance" to encounters which turns me off. Most non-combat abilities are semi-nullified.
>>
>>47871191
Sounds great! Did you take inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites (Discworld vol.3) ?

What's your party composition apart from the Rogue?
>>
>>47871182
I like learning new systems, and I've heard good things about the tactical combat of 4e. We've played a lot of 5e at this point and trying something new would be cool.
>>
>>47871222
It's a lot to learn and it isn't just you learning, it's everyone else too.
I'd recommend against it anyway, I played it for a few years and I didn't really like it all that much
>>
>>47870792
This has always made me think druid is needless as a class. Why not just have nature clerics with wildshape?
>>
>>47869791
My players took their cloaks and made them a symbol of good.

Feels good man, plus a team aesthetic is a criminally rare thing to see.
>>
>>47871273
I actually explained it pretty well already.
If you didn't get it then pretty much nothing I or anyone else could ever possibly say would ever make it make sense to you or change your mind; it was made up a long time ago already.

That's okay though, seems like almost every player has that one class they don't like or or don't "get"; that's just being a fairly average D&D player.
>>
>>47870780
4e's great on roll20. The biggest issue -managing the numbers and powers - is easily handled with macros if you get familiar with how to enter them. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for something tactical and are going to use roll20
>>
>>47870323
>Jailer
I didn't even read the pdf and I already hated it.

Far and away worst enemy in DS3, Pontiff Knights and ghrus a close tie for second.

Props for making dark souls homebrew though, do you have the Dark Souls 5e supplement?
>>
>>47871273
Mechanically I get it. But in fluff, yeah it's kind of unnecessary, but you could say that about other classes as well depending on the setting.
>>
what magic items for strahd
>>
>>47871259
>>47871320
Thanks, I'll get a bit more familiar with the rules and see what I think.
>>
>>47871273
I don't know if they considered not putting druid in, but I'm pretty sure people would have memed the fuck out of 5e if they released it without Druids.

It can be seen the other way around. Nature Cleric are cool, but they probably coulda done without the domain and gone for something else (Arcana / Death like they did in the following books).

On a side note, should Moon Druid wildshaping into Brown Bear get Multiattack? From the get go, 2nd level? Wouldn't it be fairer to everyone to wait before 6th level until they can Multiattack (and then you can even give them Multiattack on any beast they wildshape to) ?
>>
>>47871334
There's a book in Curse of Strahd that I think is Strahd's diary or something because he gets angry like a teenage girl when someone has it and chases them down.
>>
>>47871273
A Cleric prays.
A Druid doesn't; nature doesn't hear you.
A Cleric communes with his deity.
A Druid can't; nature can't talk, though with spells you can talk to bits and pieces of it.
A Cleric has a church (in most cases anyway), and the church has a doctrine and a faith. Not necessarily rules but a philosophy at the very least.
A Druid doesn't; nature doesn't "instruct" you to do anything at all.

A Druid has power, but he needs to make no bargains, no prayers, no obesiance, or anything if the sort. He gets his spells the way a woodsman goes and gets his wood; he just uses what he finds and takes it from nature and utilizes it as he personally sees fit.
Druids are simply more aware of the balance of nature then other classes because their primary stat REVOLVES around awareness, much like a woodsman or huntsman knows that if he cuts down all the trees and hunts down all the animals they won't have their chosen resource anymore.
Being a Druid is being part of a religion that makes zero spiritual or physical demands of you that you do not impose on yourself, just as nature merely is present but doesn't particularly care one way or another about your presence.
>>
>>47871315
I get what you mean with the more depersonalized reverence of nature than the typical cleric, but I don't see why a cleric can't operate that way too. Mechanically the classes are very similar, and fluffwise they both fall within the bounds of "reverence to an outside power". It just seems redundant to have druid and nature cleric. Even the category of magic both being divine creates unnecessary overlap. If it was 4e style with primal power being a notably separate thing I could more easily swallow it.
>>
>>47871380
i mean for him

dude is 400 yrs old he'd have swag
>>
>>47871351
I think it would be best to limit early wildshape multi attacks, yeah.

As it stands, my two druids are out tanking, out damaging, and generally out-utilitying the other four members of the party by a mile.
>>
>>47871351
>Moon Druid wildshaping into Brown Bear get Multiattack
I don't think it's a huge problem, yes the archetype is good but multiattack isn't even needed (dire wolf would just take the place as preferred shape at this level). Keep in mind they have to have seen the animal, so it's well within the right of the GM to say they haven't seen beasts that they think would be too good (establish it beforehand though).
>>
Why is wildshape a thing with druids anyway? What legend/myth does that come from, and why is it so intrinsically linked with druids?
>>
>>47871395
And what of nature gods? Is a druid who worships a god of nature just doing it wrong? Are actual celtic druids wrong by D&D's ideal of druids? And are cleric with less formal relations to their religions doing it wrong as well?
>>
>>47871397
It IS "primal power", just without the WarCraft-like stuff attached where all magic is just accessing a different type of battery with a pithy name attached.
Nature doesn't "grant" spells; it's just trees and grass and animals and plants and deserts and rocks and shit. It's not taking or hearing or doing anything at all, but it has a subtle power a Druid can command.
The reason a Druid is more concerned with the balance of nature is because unlike all the other spellcasting classes their power is sorta reliant on nature still existing most of the time.
Kinda like Aquaman; Aquaman doesn't actually "talk" to fish. He gives them commands and they obey, though more intelligent fish he can speak with. He does however care about what happens to the ocean because he sure as shit can't command fish anymore if the environment they belong to is gone.
>>
My players will be completing Lost Mine of Phandelver next session, barring any major shenanigans.

Due to their "kick in the door waving the four four" policy of negotiation and dungeon exploration, all the Rockseeker brothers are dead, and both Glasstaff and Nezznar have escaped, the latter with a small retinue of assorted goblinoids. I'm actually happy with this outcome, as the party now has a goal: track down Nezznar and make him pay for the death of a party member.

My question for you, /5eg/: where does Nezznar go next?
>>
File: Hoglob Portrait.jpg (90 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Hoglob Portrait.jpg
90 KB, 450x450
>>47871414
Yeah but that's exactly my point. As a Druid, meeting a Brown Bear is kinda 101. A Dire Wolf, though, is not.

And quite honestly, 2d6+4+1d8+4 each turn without using any bonus action is bullshit at 2nd level. It's a big problem whatever party composition you're in.
Let's not add the uncanny survivability as well. A 2nd level druid essentially has an average of ~75HP. I know it's only 11 AC, but it's still a major pain in the ass to balance around.

Nothing new here, obviously, but just getting rid of Multiattack before a certain point (or altogether I guess) would be a step in the right direction.

Last Druid I had was a freaking gnome and I couldn't even charm the fucker because of its stupid advantage against magic.
I swear to god one day I'll play Half-Orc Druid just to piss of everyone and never ever fucking die.
>>
>>47871493
nezznar the wraith?

why would he leave the cave system
>>
>>47871351

Moon Druids have a huge level 2-3 Power spike but they're generally pretty tame once everybody else reaches 4th-5th level. Animal forms don't scale nearly as well as the rest of the PCs do, let the Moon Druid have their power spike fun.
>>
>>47871488
>It IS "primal power", just without the WarCraft-like stuff attached where all magic is just accessing a different type of battery with a pithy name attached.
But it kinda is a different type of battery. It has no relation to divine domains or gods, at least not any more so than arcane magic has to gods of magic, or law has to gods of justice
>>
>>47869762
Is that fucking Vasalisa?
>>
>>47871221
Not directly, although Terry Pratchett's books are at least partly responsible for my fondness for witches. The group is;

Human, Druid, Land.
High Elf, Rogue, Thief.
Halfling, Rogue, Arcane Trickster.
Human, Fighter, Battlemaster.
"Human", Warlock, Great Old One.

I swear I intended my druid to be knowledgeable, well researched one in the party, with 14 Intelligence and proficiency in all the intelligence skills bar Religion, then the Rogues and Warlock walk up with 16+ intelligence and just as many int-focused proficiencies. It ended up being one of the reasons she's gotten so chummy with the rest of the group, because they have some common ground in shared interests.

I say "human" because he's actually a mindflayer, but shush, don't tell anyone.
>>
>>47871495
It's funny because they considered that too good for beastmaster pets but didn't do anything with it for druids. I think the problem though, is that CR takes multiattack into account, so it's not a great way to balance it. If anything, remove multiattack from CRs lower than 2, so as to make that spike less amazing. It's still sort of like Monk though, they get a lot of attacks early but the other classes catch up, on top of it being a resource so it's not as reliable.
>>
>>47871502
Nezznar is the black spider, the wraith is named Mormesk, unless I'm mistaken (which wouldn't surprise me).
>>
>>47871431
There's stuff about that, but it's not "Druids" specifically.
Native American myths have stories about people learning the skill of "wearing an animal's skin" and using that to change shape, and Slavic myths have stuff like that too.
>>47871482
>And what of nature gods? Is a druid who worships a god of nature just doing it wrong?
No, of course not.
A Cleric of a deity of trees says (perhaps even accurately) that all trees were made by his Tree God.
A Woodsman says that a tree is standing over there and he can cut it down with his axe and make a house out of it.
Both are correct.
One thing only invalidates another thing if they are ACTUALLY self contradictory, which is only true if you haven't the imagination to grasp why they wouldn't be.
>Are actual celtic druids wrong by D&D's ideal of druids?
I would say Celtic Druids were Clerics.
There's more then twelve Paladins in the D&D worlds and none of the ones I've ever played or seen played have ever been French, so Paladins aren't accurate either. They're more like Christian Knight Orders, except they aren't like that either actually.
And Monks come from a poorly understood concept that ALL magical kungfu martial artists in Chinese movies are actual monks.

D&D classes kind of are at best loosely inspired by real life.
>>47871511
Meh, fair point.
And "nature is just a power source, I respect it the way a fighter respects his sharp sword" is how I GM them anyway.
>>47871527
Yes, it is.
Seen that picture before.
>>
>>47871531
You can't really expect to be good at any skills if you don't have expertise
>>
>>47871563
no i was wrong sorry
>>
>>47870677
Kill their leader, take the gang over, pledge yourself to the Zhentarim, control the region in your grip and dominate the mines.
???
PROFIT
>>
>>47871571
>One thing only invalidates another thing if they are ACTUALLY self contradictory, which is only true if you haven't the imagination to grasp why they wouldn't be.

Why would the Druids even care about nature in particular if it's impersonal and just a form of power?
>>
>>47871586
You do raise a concern for me though; the wraith is the one bit challenge they haven't dealt with yet and knowing my party, they'll try to approach the problem guns blazing.

I forecast at least one death.
>>
>>47871611
So one day a bunch of people say to all the Fighters everywhere;
>"Hey, we need to destroy all the weapons and armor in the world to make horseshoes plowshare amd clothing. There may or may not be long-term consequences to this but we don't want to wait and do some research about them."

The Fighters would justifiably be mad because the thing that lets them do their thing (namely fight) just got removed and now they can't do their thing anymore. And for the fighters that use their weapons for a cause, then without then they can't contribute to the cause they wanted to contribute to anymore.
>>
File: 1464576428346.jpg (98 KB, 430x350) Image search: [Google]
1464576428346.jpg
98 KB, 430x350
>Checking MM for neat Find Steed mounts
>look at elk statblock
>13hp
>antlers do less damage than hooves
>>
>>47871611
Because they can run out of it if nature gets fucked up. It's not actually about respecting nature, it's about maintaining it to preserve their power. Druids are actually obsessed with accumulating as much power as possible. They're green wizards
>>
>>47871503
But level 2 to 3 is usually from 2 to 4 sessions for us because we can't play for very long each time. So that can be an issue.

I know classes have different power spikes and overall the game is pretty well balanced (especially if the DM is martial-friendly), but that's kind of a bummer when you love DMing for early-level groups and you end up with this monstrosity.

>>47871542
>CR takes multiattack into account
That's a great point. I'm not sure one could reasonably compare this situation to Monk's but I get what you mean.

I was toying around the idea of simply changing the way HP are done with Wildshaping, and going with something scaling with class level - at least early on. But it's, again, only trying to change something that isn't necessarily fucked later on.

I guess the best way to work with moon druids is simply to go to lvl5 ASAP, and to build encounters around them at the beginning. Last time I did that and I explained to the player that her character was really amazing in combat and that she could really take a lot of creatures head-on. I was expecting her to be a bit ballsy and "tank" for the group.
Instead, she left the monk to die against the ogre and she fled the combat because she was half HP. She went back once the monk was dead to finish off whatever was still alive.
My bad I guess.
>>
>>47871656
So houserule it.
Seems like an easy change to me.
>>
>>47870490
Land's Stride is hardly a joke, the level you get it you can create a 100ft radius of double-difficult terrain that the Druid can move through as normal. Anyone trying to get to you in an area with plant life is fucked.
>>
File: 5e_Exploits_Cone-of-Cold-Horse.png (975 KB, 1239x2971) Image search: [Google]
5e_Exploits_Cone-of-Cold-Horse.png
975 KB, 1239x2971
>>47870231
No, Create Bonfire does not have a range of "self".

>>47870250
Pic.

>>47870254
Fuck off.
>>
>>47871681
>player
>houseruling whenever they want
>Yeah DM I read the club's damage but I thought that was bullshit so I gave it greatsword stats k thx
>>
>>47871678
>Druids are actually obsessed with accumulating as much power as possible.

Well that isn't what I was getting at, but pretty much EVERYBODY gets cranky when you take away the thing that lets them do the thing that they spent all that time learning to do and that they enjoy doing then they usually get pretty goddamn cranky about it.
Like the NRA and their guns, actually.
>>
>>47871679

>2 to 4 sessions

You're the DM. The early levels last as long as you want them to last. And, especially to level 3 at least, they should be short, because most classes don't get a lot of their unique features until level 3 where they can pick their archtype. I'd be pretty irritated too if I didn't get my archtype for another 3 sessions while the Moon Druid (or a Wizard for that matter) got a bunch of their unique and awesome benefits last time.

Let the Moon Druid enjoy their power spike. They level off until 10 where they get another brief increase in strength and then level off again. It'd be pretty lame to take away another class' power spike later on because the Moon Druid got weaker, right? So why do it the other way around? Just hurry through the early levels so the non-druids can start coming into their own.
>>
>>47871701
Oh. Well if you're a player then that's unfortunate.
As a GM I'd be willing to work something out with a player over stuff like that (the numbers involved are ridiculous abstractions anyway), but if your GM isn't flexible like that then it is indeed a problem.
>>
>>47871702
So druids are crazies with no regard for others' safety if it impedes upon their own freedoms.
Yep, definitely green wizards.
>>
>>47871681
Despite being needlessly inflammatory, this anon >>47871701 hit pretty close to the mark.

I feel really uncomfortable asking a GM to houserule stuff for me, especially to make it outright better.
>>
>>47871679
I think going from level 3 is enough, if it's from 5 it feels kind of bad because you completely miss that power spike. With archetype features there's not as big a difference and then in a typical game you'll reach level 5 after another 6 sessions so I think that's fair.
>>
>>47871731
>So druids are crazies with no regard for others' safety if it impedes upon their own freedoms.

....that wasn't what I was getting at.
I'm actually down with the NRA.
Or wait, no. I'm down with the IDEA of the NRA, but the execution and current methodology is kinda revolting to me.
And this is personally speaking as a vet who actually owns and knows how to use guns no less.

Actually kinda pisses me off when some fat jackoff gets butthurt about what amounts to his version of painting Warhammer 40k minis (his fucking hobby in otherwords, something he does to pass the time) goes off about his rights and his love of guns while sitting on his fat ass doing nothing.
So go enlist ya lazy fucks; right now your guns are as relevant as previously mentioned 40k models, only more expensive and more likely to fuck up somebody else's life because you take your hobby too seriously.
>>
>>47871732
I gotcha. That's always a tough one.
I was suggesting more fluffing an elk as a horse with a horse's stats and then calling the hooves antlers and the horse an elk actually.

Nothing actually mechanically changes except the flavor text that has no impact on the actual rules.
>>
>>47871699
It doesn't target you though? It has to only have you as a target, it doesn't mean any "range: self" spell will work, that's just the point of origin. Even a spell that usually targets only yourself, such as Haste, can be twinned and as such would no longer benefit the horse, no matter what the range or normal number of targets is.
>>
>>47871732
It isn't houseruling though, it's refluffing. Taking the stats of one of the approved mounts and then saying it's an elk changes so little, it's not even close to being a problem like the platemail=unarmored bullshit.
>>
>>47871200
Seems like you'd have to attacked by at least double the amount of enemies or encounters just to have you close to having a challenge.

My level 2 PCs steamrolled a level 1 area, though this week they get to face a level 2 area at level 2. I'm quite excited to see the difference.

I can see why you say AL is about fairness and balance, gather that much from reading the guidelines. My campaigns I allow infighting if it promotes an amusing story, current party are mostly evil alignment.
>>
>>47871861
That's what I was getting at when I suggested it.
If this were a game where fluff was integrated into the rules themselves fluffing a horse as an elf and it's hooves as antlers would be a problem, but this is D&D where the rules and fluff have almost nothing to do with each other.
>>
File: 5e_Build_Archer-Fighter.png (41 KB, 693x950) Image search: [Google]
5e_Build_Archer-Fighter.png
41 KB, 693x950
>>47870454
>>
>>47871792
Not doing much to refute the green wizard thing
>>
>>47871792
>hating on gun hobbyists because they don't enlist

Nah famalam, I really don't care about the opinions of a baby killer
I'm just gonna stay here, comfy and surrounded by the sweet smell of cosmoline while you and yours go play dodge the warcrime
>>
>>47872402
Pfft. Like you even own a gun.
It's hard to take edgy opinions on 4chan seriously because 99% of it is just some dumbass trying to get a rise out of people, which is why they always use formulaic as fuck comebacks like yours.
I mean damn son, at least come up with a new way to say that generic shit you said, you're just spouting off stuff you heard in some anti-Vietnam movie that came out thirty-odd years ago at this point.
>>
>>47872402
You're confused.
I don't hate on them because they don't enlist; I hate on them because their arguments for needing certain kinds of weaponry are spoken from the POV who's never actually had to use his weapon in a combat situation.

Besides, what do I care if there's a national registry for guns?
I haven't done anything wrong with them and aren't planning to, so if I have to sign a few more papers and shit then I'm down with that. I had to to that for my car too, so no big deal.
Guns are cheaper then my car even, so it's still not as much of a hassle.
>>
I'm playing a level 3 divination wizard for a balanced 7 player party. During the second half of our first session we ran through the Baba Yaga's magical hut of horrors. At the end we meet our host and get a job to assasinate the lord of Neverwinter. For payment, she asked us to name our price. I asked for "a very powerful wand" and recieved a wand that happens to hold the soul of Iggwilv. Now, as bad ass as this wand is, my wizard is supposed to be nuetral good. What should I expect from a sentient item bearing the trapped soul of an evil temptress? Would using it necessitate a change in alignment? Granted, the buffs are too good to pass up, so I'll be using it anyway. What would you expect, 5eg?
>>
>>47870347
Why is oathbreaker broken, crunch-wise. I'm not talking about the "oh the edge" shit.
>>
>>47872468
Admittedly that was blatant bait, I don't really have anything against enlisted guys, in fact most of my friends are in one branch or another

>>47872536
It's mostly the fact that a lot of those comments are fueled by the "they'll confiscatr muh guns!!" Mentality the NRA pushes, which is grounded in truth, but nonetheless a slippery slope fallacy

Personally my views are
>registry ok
>background checks ok
>bans NOT OK

But really, nobody should pay much attention to opinions spouted on a cantonese hito-hito forum
>>
>>47872590
I'd expect to be fucked by doing the stereotypical wizard thing of doing it because I'm curious and high int doesn't mean high wis/being thoughtful. And I'd love it.
>>
>>47869836
10 cantrips? o.O
>>
>>47871200
pardon my ignorance but what are you talking about when you say taking healer?
>>
>>47873148
It's a feat.
>>
The player version of the LMoP redbrand hideout map in the mega is made for ants, so I fixed up the DM version and covered all the juicy bits.
>>
>>47869762
>when player's think death domain clerics aren't necromancers
>>
>>47873095
He is an archeologist of sorts, and makes a great researcher but isn't as proactive in his methodology. Sounds like fun, actually.
>>
is it stupid to have two wizards in a 3-5 person party? My friend and I want to play Bro Wizards with opposing ideologies like Enchantment vs. Necromancy. Will that fuck up the game though?
>>
>>47873700
>necromancy
Just make sure the rest of the party doesn't spurge out about the necromancer
>>
>>47873700
Wizards have the widest spell selection and can be useful in so many ways, even 4 wizards with 1 BSF should work, as long as you think it's fun (some people really dislike playing the same class as someone else).
>>
What are some good low level magic items to give to a monk or moon druid?

I'm running Phandelver and need to replace the holy magic mace, as it would be sort of redundant (paladin is the only character that uses strength weapons and already has a magic longsword).

Magic shortsword or staff, maybe? Magic spear?
>>
>>47873860
BSF?
>>
>>47873867
The monk can use the mace anyway. Why change it?

>>47873972
Big stupid fighter
>>
>>47874004
Monks can use maces? I'll keep it as is then.

It's kind of ironic; its a mace blessed by the God of Dawn that gives off bright light, and it's going to be wielded by a Drow that worships the moon.
>>
>>47873867
If you just want a weapon or similar, just look at what they're using. I personally prefer more niche items like Bracelet of Detachment or something.
>>
>>47874030
Yeah. Any simple melee weapon.
>>
>>47874004
>Implying I role-play a low-int fighter as being stupid
>>
How would you guys port the shadowcaster spell progression from 3.5 to 5e? The 3.5 class had spells usable once per day which eventually turned into spell likes usable twice per day and then became supernatural abilities usable three times per day. What would be the best way to emulate that sort of progression in 5e?

I did a homebrew update for 5e here but i am somewhat dissatisfied with the class. A few others have pointed out its casting progression to be too wonky for 5e, and i am inclined to agree. Thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47874047
> Bracelet of detachment
While wearing this bracelet, you can detach your hand.
>>
>>47874110
Warlock-ish. You get some spells per long rest, some spells per short rest, and some spells at-will.
>>
>>47874135
Mage Hand for martials, could be somewhat useful.
>>
File: Strahd.jpg (120 KB, 1000x1394) Image search: [Google]
Strahd.jpg
120 KB, 1000x1394
I'm planning on running a Curse of Strahd campaign. Any tips or suggestions?
>>
>>47874235
Awesome pic.

>>47874170
How do I port the mystery paths if I use warlock casting progression?
>>
>>47874110
I think touching spell progression in 5e is something you shouldn't do. If it's the class' main identity then this class is garbage.

Maybe, and I say maybe, this could be revamped in some subclass that lets you pick some spells and cast them a number of times without expending spell slot. With a bunch of restrictions.
>>
>>47874335
First decide if you should keep the mystery paths. Then look at how the mystic's disciplines organize abilities.
>>
A weird thing happened to me in the last session I played.

Party is
me, a fiend tiefling Bladelock
My best bud, a halfling arcane trickster
My bros girlfriend, a bard elf,
And the DMS little brother, a crown paladin dragonborn.

Anyways, every one seems cool at first, but last night the paladin player started making all sorts of snide comments about my character and me. It got to the point that everyone was obviously trying to pretend it wasn't happening and failing.

I asked the Dm about it over gchat and he got back to me just now. The paladin player is feeling useless apparently, cause he says I keep streaming his thunder in fights, and get to cast spells too.

I don't get it though. I'm always trying to suggest ways for his character and everyone's to do something if we're stuck in a puzzle or situation, but he always points out a thousand different ways it wouldn't work and the Dm agrees. Instead he usually just asks if I have x spell or if the bard does, and I usually do because I took spells for utility not combat. When I say yes, he explains how that solves the problem and we move on. High fives all around, or so I thought.

Any advice on dealing with this guy? He's pretty cool usually. Should I take less useful spells to let him feel more relevant?
>>
>>47874694
He's the DMs little brother, that's a classic bad situation
Nothing you can do will help
>>
>>47874694
Tell him to reroll as a paladin 3/valor bard 17 and pretend he's full paladin. Also:
>warlock
>having useful spells
stop writing bullshit stories
>>
>>47874694
Paladins get more amazing when they start getting more spell slots for more comfortable smiling.

Also he sounds less experienced, cause your blade lock probably has under 14 AC and only d8 hit dice. His awesomeness will shine once you get your teeth kicked in by someone focusing you.
>>
>>47873700
You probably have all the utility you will need, but it's gonna suck if the DM throws groups or two beefy enemies at you, one to work the fighter and the other to just start mopping the floor with you wizards, unless you can burst it down fast enough.
>>
>>47874897
Maybe it's just me, but so far I haven't ran into a problem that couldn't be solved with dispel magic, fly, silent image (at will!), gaseous form, hallucinatory terrain, dimension door, dream, and mass suggestion, and the various good cantrips like friends.

I've started a cult to the old gods in my campaign, and have a few willing followers going around passing strength checks.
>>
>>47872590
I would expect something to happen with your continued use of it, the soul wants to get out, and will probably be trying to find what the temptress could give you in return for her release. Whether it be power in some way or otherwise she is gonna offer something your character will not be good at saying no to.

It's your decision on whether your wizard would give it up or not.
>>
File: SamusConfusion.png (39 KB, 353x364) Image search: [Google]
SamusConfusion.png
39 KB, 353x364
>>47875080
>good cantrips
>friends
>>
>>47875080
Your DM is probably being too nice and lenient with illusion spells.
And he really shouldn't have let you get cult members
>>
>>47874694
Get the DM to solve it by making puzzles and fights and such that allow everybody to shine without making it PAINFULL OBVIOUS

Paladins get a lot of radiant shit. Play on that.
Paladins get divine sense. Play on that.
Dragonborn get resistance to an element. Play on that.
Paladins are tankier than warlocks. They get heals. That sort of thing.
I could go on endlessly, I guess.

Also get puzzles that can't be so easily solved by magic. "If you cast a magic in this room, you summon something REALLY NASTY"
>>
>>47875122
What's wrong with getting cult members?
>>
File: read it.png (24 KB, 91x138) Image search: [Google]
read it.png
24 KB, 91x138
Tell me why:

>Fighters can dish out 8d6+40 as many times on their turn as they get actions (Haste+Action Surge = 36d6+120)

>Rogues have an clause in the Sneak Attack description that prevents them from applying sneak attack more than once per turn, regardless of the number of Standard Actions they get to take
>>
>>47875120
>that picture
post the loss edit faggot
>>
Can a melee battlemaster be more viable than a champion fighter? Champion fighter crits so often and feels like a dumbed down, but effective class. Battlemaster has the maneuvers and I like the idea of a smart martial, but are the maneuvers worth it more often than not?
>>
>>47875236
The extra damage from maneuver dice push battlemaster dpr above champion's, unless you have a very lucky champion
>>
>>47875213
Rogues are fun to play, fighters aren't. The increase to damage is a balancing mechanism to deal with that
>>
>>47875213
>haste only lets you make ONE more attack, not to mention you need a wizard to cast it
>the fighter gets to do pissall else really

>allow rogues to use two-weapon fighting without it forcing them to use it to get maximum damage
>attack once. Miss. Two-weapon fighting gives them a second chance to get those lovely sneak dice.
If you had multiple sneak attack dice in a turn rogues would gear themselves specifically to get as many attacks off in one turn as possible.
>>
>>47875296
But dex based battlemaster is more fun than rogue
>>
>>47875333
Only assassin rogues. The other two with their utility belt features surpass any martial.
>>
>>47875319
Haste gives the fighter 4 more attacks.

All they have to do it allow sneak attack as many times as the rogue has actions.
>>
>>47875369
>the other two
>two
>>
>>47875385
>Haste gives the fighter 4 more attacks.
READ, NIGGA, READ!

>That action can be used only to take the Attack (****one weapon attack only****), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.
>>
>>47875409
Swashbuckler is the GOAT class you PHBleb
>>
>>47875414
You are unintelligent.
>>
>>47875409
Swashbucklers>>47875427
Are boring as shit. Purely combat class features make for an interesting class only in purely combat games
>>
>>47875213

Because Fighters are the class that is supposed to excel at fighting. They're made strictly to fight and they have some of the best damage because of it. Sneak Attack means rogue damage doesn't suck, but it's also behind Fighters because they get a lot of other benefits (like Expertise).
>>
>>47875451
Haste *specifies* that the Attack action you take with the action given to you by Haste can be used to make *one weapon attack only*. This is not hard, anon.
>>
>>47875427
Damn, lots of stupid people in this general today.
>>
>>47875470
You're a pirate swiggity swootying for that bootying, how the heck is that not fun?
>>
>>47875498

I think he's obviously just a moron.
>>
File: haste.png (161 KB, 302x244) Image search: [Google]
haste.png
161 KB, 302x244
>>47875451
>>47875498
Here's the haste spell.
>>
>>47875508
Because you can be a pirate with any subclass, you can swagger with any sub class, and most of them offer some neat options that actually function in the whole Game instead of just one third of it.
>>
>>47875369
assassin is literally the most fun class to play
>>
>>47875498
Extra Attack strictly dictates that additional attacks can be made "whenever [the fighter] take the Attack action".

Whenever implies any circumstance during which the Attack action is taken.
>>
>>47875205
If they're doing all the str checks for you then that'll definitely piss the pally off
>>
>>47875563
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/14/can-a-20th-lvl-fighter-with-haste-and-two-weapon-fighting-make-6-attacks-per-round/

>The haste spell states that you can make only one weapon attack with the action it provides.
>>
>>47875563
Specific outweighs general you dumb dumb. If the spell specifies one weapon attack than that means one weapon attack.
>>
>>47875563
The ruling in the Haste description is specific trumping general, so no
>>
>>47875574
I offered to let him in on the cult and have some buddies. And he always gets the first try. But if he fails, I send in the slave teams
>>
>>47875651
He's a paladin
>>
I'm wanting to make a sort of opera singing war Valkyrie type character since my last got killed. Probably Aasimar.

If I have 6 levels to work with, how should I divide them between Bard and Paladin/Cleric?
>>
>>47875661
Of the crown. I'm not trying to upset the Kingdom here. Just make a religion.
>>
>>47875606
>>47875613
>>47875615
>it's a WotC contradicts itself episode
>>
>>47875688
3/3
>>
>>47875723
>Specifies that it's a special case in the spell description
>Uhhhhh I don't read the PHB so WotC are wrong lol
sure bud
>>
>>47875723
>it's an illiterate player tries to cheese the system episode
>>
>>47875688
You don't need to have a class level to roleplay as such, just play a straight up cleric or paladin who sings warsongs.
>>
So, I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm slowly building up an array of personal efforts at 5e homebrewing, and I was wondering if I could present them here for critique, commentary, suggestions, etc?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>47875756
Except the Extra Attack description is specific as well.
>>
>>47875898
Except when you're using the attack option granted by the 'haste' spell you're magically using one extra weapon attack specifically, not gaining the ability to make use of an extra-extra weapon attack you sillyboots.
>>
>>47875898
The question you need to ask yourself is: why would Haste specify "one weapon attack only" if, without Extra Attack, you can only make one attack with the Attack action anyway? Could it be... no way! That Haste's single-attack caveat was made to overrule features that let you make multiple attacks with a single Attack action, such as Extra Attack? No way could they engineer a work-around to limit the power of an already-powerful 3rd-level spell, no sirree.
>>
@47875898
You're just b8ing at this point.

Anyways, every feature that grants multiple weapon attacks is specific. The haste rule would have no meaning if your asinine interpretation were valid.
>>
>>47875924
>>47875981
Why doesn't Haste just read:
>"That action can only be used to take either the Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object actions or make a single weapon attack."

See how that doesn't contradict anything?
>>
File: cmon bud.jpg (21 KB, 241x249) Image search: [Google]
cmon bud.jpg
21 KB, 241x249
Why are you guys still answering to the guy that can't understand Haste description, and the difference between an attack and the Attack action?

>mfw
>>
>>47875898
>>47875723
>>47875563
>>47875451
>>47875385
PLEASE people stop and do not respond to this troll
>>
>>47876044
Because then retards would argue that making the weapon attack means using the attack action since the attack action is used to make a weapon attack
>>
>>47876126
But then they would be objectively incorrect. The Attack action is well defined and distinct from "making a single weapon attack".
>>
>>47876147
You've seen /5eg/ threads. Hell, the recent "create bonfire" memeing completely ignores the rule that creatures only take damage from the bonfire the first time they enter it on a turn, and that's even been cleared up in a recent Sage Advice
>>
>>47876093
>>47876116
Okay, discuss the validity of moving between attacks granted by "Whirlwind Attack"
>>
>>47876197
What are you talking about? Create Bonfire saving throw/damage is incurred
>when the spell is cast
>when a creature enters it for the first time on t a turn
>when a creature ends its on turn on the bonfire
>>
>>47876282
People saying an aaracokra could pick up a guy and fly through the bonfire repeatedly to do more damage was the instance I meant but there were others
>>
>>47876250
RAW I'd say it works but Sage Advice says no so I think that one is actually pretty unclear
>>
>>47876322
Ahahahaha. The memes are are obfuscating together. Nobody argued that an Aarakocra could drag a creature in and out of a Create Bonfire to trigger the saving throw multiple times.
>>
>>47876335
>>47876250
it clearly says that you are making the melee attacks all immediately successive of each other. RAW you can't.
>>
File: female_blademaster.jpg (234 KB, 502x643) Image search: [Google]
female_blademaster.jpg
234 KB, 502x643
>>47876250
i'd allow it at my table, because the ability is hot garbage either way.
>>
>>47876371
Maybe I'm misremebering, sorry my guy
>>
>>47876412
It was dragging through the 20ft radius circle of Spike Growth.
>>
>>47876436
Oh yeah, that's it. Fair enough
>>
>>47876408
>i'd allow it at my table
Would you also allow it for Volley because both are worded the same?
>>
>>47876147
Who the flying fuck cares if some dithering retard you've only the remotest possible chance of ever meeting in life is incorrect?
Meanwhile, YOU are the one actively shitting up the thread by responding to him.
>>
Could someone remind me what level warlocks get their pacts?
And what a good way of making a tanky GOO bladelock would be?
>>
>>47876573
Patron: 1st level
Pact boon: 3rd level
>>
>>47876514
ok 1) they aren't worded the same, 2) that would just mean you move around a point. the area of effect you can shoot with volley wouldn't change. its not like whirlwind attack where its anyone within reach, its anyone within 10 feet of a point that you determine once within your weapons range. so sure, you could move between attacks but it wouldn't help you hit more people
>>
>>47876589
And what are the rules on the bladelock's pact weapon?
Can it be pretty much anything?
I wanna go polearm sentinel with it and just rush in like a pissed off captain would in a fight.
>>
>>47876668
Why don't you just read the fucking rules? Player's Handbook PDF can be found on the internet very easily. Just read the little paragraphs and come back to us once you have actual questions.
>>
>>47876668
Any melee weapon or any magic weapon that you provide
>>
>>47876668
Pole arm is good since you have shit defences and shit how so staying back is safe. Whips are better since your dexterity boosts ac and low damage dice doesn't really matter since you add cha to each attack. Generally though anything is inferior to just sitting back and eldrich blasting every turn with an improved familiar for bonus magic resistances and cheese.
>>
What should you do if you want a plate-wearing wizard?

Cleric1? Fighter1? Paladin1?

Cleric1/Wizard19 sort of a thing?

Cleric would give a bunch of spells you can use wizard spell slots up on, right?

Fighter'd allow for extra AC and a bit of extra starting HP, and second wind, and all weapons unlocked.

I think paladin is probably a stupid idea.
>>
>>47876941
Or you could be a mountain dorf or variant human at level 1 and pick the heavily armored feat at level 4
>>
>>47876941
Mountain Dwarf and Heavily Armored feat at 4th level, obviously.
>>
>>47877008
Oh wait my bad variant human wouldn't work because wizards start with no armor profs

But yeah a mountain dorf abjurer would do it
>>
File: 1465710104686.jpg (366 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1465710104686.jpg
366 KB, 1200x675
>>47876941
just be an arcane cleric or a valor bard tee bee aitch. or an EK. or if your DM is cool with it be a favored soul.
fighter 1/wizard 9,999 will never want to be in the front line either way because your hp will be bad as a wizard.
>>
>>47876941
Start fighter 2. You will love that action surge and con proficiency
>>
>>47876941
mountain dwarf wizard no multiclass, take heavy armorer feat

or

human variant with medium armor feat, take heavy armor feat at level 4
>>
>>47877058
> medium armor feat
> no light armor proficiency
bruh

>>47877055
> dat con proficiency
everytime I read that, I wonder if people aren't mistaking concentration checks for constitution saving throws
>>
>>47875688
6 bard (valor) gets you level 3 spells and extra attack.
6 paladin (any) gets you aura of protection and extra attack.
6 cleric (any) gets you spirit guardians and two channel divinity uses, I guess?
>>
Ok /5eg/, could use some help here. Newish DM, I've run five sessions between two groups. I've been using two separate started modules, LMoP and a series I found off DM's Guild. You guys told me I should be crafting my own shit, but I wanted to make sure I had an idea of what a balanced module looked like before half-assing anything .

My LMoP group has our second session Thursday (missed two weeks due to schedules), so no problem there, but my Wednesday group is about to hit the last of their pre-written modules, which take them to Rashemen. (Inb4 FR sucks, I know how this thread feels about it, it's fine to me and I'm sticking with it.) Now that my players know the ropes, I want to give them a more customized experience, based on what appeals to them. My five players are:

Half-Elf Ranger, party leader after some first session disagreements. Super into anime, video games, etc...
Dragonborn Ranger, proficient in dinosaur hunting, wants really bad to go on a dino hunt
Tiefling Paladin, got a silvered axe last session, so I may give her a were-something to fight maybe?
Half-Orc Druid prostitute who has yet to bang anybody because of failed Charisma checks.
Human Necromancer Wizard who wants to command scads of undead. So far I've let him raise a skeleton cat to use as a scout. Last session I slipped him a note reading "Seek the Necrotic Spire." I haven't decided what that is yet.

I was thinking that, because Rashemen is associated heavily with the Fey, I could take the story to the Feywild, where they might run afoul of some manner of dino-riders and werecreatures. Along the way I'd give the Druid a chance to bone a dryad or ent or pixie.

Is that too much pandering all at once? Any ideas on how to spice that up?
>>
>>47876941
1 level of life cleric gets you heavy armor and healing word always prepped. I think it's quite worth it.
>>
>>47877138
>everytime I read that, I wonder if people aren't mistaking concentration checks for constitution saving throws
you know when you take damage, you make a constitution saving throw to avoid losing concentration, right?
>>
>>47877008
>>47877023
>>47877058
Main problem here is no shield proficiency, getting a load of +strength that can't be used, just read variant human won't work because wizards start with no armour and being forced to play dwarf to get up there.

I didn't really think of it though since the light/medium/heavily armoured feats seemed way too specific/trash and the dwarf armouring thing didn't immediately include heavy armour.

Well, I think what I should really ask is what the benefits of going, say, cleric are?
You get two extra level 1 spell slots, right? And you can use those level 1 cleric spells with your wizard spell slots?

>>47877039
I'm not sure how well EK cuts the cheese when it lacks a bunch of things wizard'd be getting. The main advantage of EK is more health and more feats/stat-ups. Good if I wanted to be tanky, but this is more wizard-but-not-squishy.
>>
>>47876044
If it doesn't let you take the attack action, it doesn't trigger the functions that require you to take the attack action, like TWF.
>>
>>47874235
Bump for this
>>
>>47876335
Doesn't Sage Advice say it doesn't work because you're only making one attack? Just multiple attack rolls. I'm not sure I remember it right and can't be assed to go look it up again.
>>
>>47877234
I haven't done it myself but an anon was asking about a Strahd thing the other day, and someone recommended they read "I, Strahd" since his personality is important.
>>
>>47877229
>getting a load of +strength that can't be used
I'm the one who you responded to about being an EK, but note that plate requires 15 strength, so its not necessarily useless.
If you want to be a tanky wizard though, just make an abjurer (or you could try blade singer or whatever its called). You shouldn't be tanking hits either way.
>>
>>47877210
> turns out i'm retarded

oops
>>
>>47877229
Fighter 2 bruh
>>
>>47877230
But that's what they want. For you only to be able to make a single weapon attack.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.