[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: ThePackCh3Art(CofDG).png (857 KB, 758x985) Image search: [Google]
ThePackCh3Art(CofDG).png
857 KB, 758x985
>Previous Thread: >>47290153

>Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/PPptBB5u

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/gencon-insider-poop-monday-meeting-notes/

The Pack is here!
>richfags
http://drivethrurpg.com/product/181760?affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath
>poorfags
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF

>Question
What Mysteries have you been investigating?
>>
Why is it so hard to kill people with guns in this game? i swear to god, people are constantly hitting with guns but don't do enough to kill because of the autistic way that successes work in combat. You have like a 90% chance of hitting someone if you have a 5 dice pool but only like 10% chance of putting them down in one shot.
>>
>>47300964
What next, a group of Begotten who have been re-purposed into weapons by the Seers?
>>
>>47301716
Disappearing socks. You can laugh all you want, but every day in usa alone approximate 1 tonn of matter vanish into nothingness.
>>
>>47301764
Need more Firearms, or a better gun.
Take a targeted shot to the head if you want
>>
>>47301771
>implying a beast needs to be repurposed to be a weapon
they're fine on their own
drop one into a city and let them unleash terror and chaos
>>
>>47301822
> shoot someone in the head
> only a fifty percent chance of killing in one shot

I don't think that's how it works anon. Just admit it, guns in WoD are shit.
>>
>>47301905
your math is wrong
if you're not doing enough damage to shoot someone in the head, it's just a grazing shot
need more firearms, more firearms = more damage, stop grazing and hit them in the brain
>>
>>47301905
90% of this system is about creatures who ignore bullets.
You can just rule out headshots, anyway combat system is shit, use it only as guideline
>>
>>47301232
Matt gave up. Heroes can be sympathetic.

>>47301836
>>47301771
Everything is a Seer weapon. Non-Supernal creeps hide the Supernal even more.

>>47301764
Why should you expect someone to die in one shot?
>>
>>47301939
Heroes can be sympathetic, but, like sympathetic hunters, they'll rarely show up in the lives of sympathetic supernatural PCs.
>>
>>47301764
>>47301905

The system's supposed to be "cinematic" in its combat. Nobody's gonna crumble to a single bullet unless they've got enough of them to run them down or its narratively significant or unavoidable (point blank coup de grace with no help coming).

If you want gritty, deadly combat, you're better served with another system.
>>
>>47302078
>or its narratively significant or unavoidable
or narratively insignificant
down & dirty allows for room clearing with one roll
>>
Where can I find examples of Abyssal environmental tilts?
>>
>>47302357

In the Abyss
>>
I have been invited to join a Mage the Ascension game: 2nd ed. rules unless otherwise stated.

I've got a character all made up, conceptual and mechanics (Dreamspeaker and Sphere Natural Life if it matters).

I'm coming from a D&D background, so the wide-open-ness of the sphere system seems... liberating but also very vague in terms of what you can and cannot do. Can anyone give tips for how to wrap my head around this?
>>
>>47300212
A better question would be "what would you want to stay the same?"
>>
>>47302400
>Mage the Ascension game: 2nd ed. rules

Holy crackers
>>
>>47301716
>What Mysteries have you been investigating?

My players are currently caught between two unrelated supernatural phenomena, and trying to figure out just what the fuck is going on.

So far, none of them seem to have realized that when the sketchy (and obviously inhuman) NPC vanished, there was only one witness:
Another NPC, who is suddenly no longer suicidally alcoholic.
Then again, they may have just been too distracted by the draugr that's been stalking them.

I really want to wrap that campaign up, but everyone's schedules got fucked up right before the finale.
>>
>>47301773
And it's never a partner to one of the other missing socks. It always creates a lonely-only.
>>
>>47301773
I personally believe Socks to be part of the Lie, so I don't wear them.
>>
>>47301935

> combat is shit

Then why even have it? That's not an excuse for poor Design
>>
>>47302702
Same as everything. Need some rolls to determine situation and keep story going.
>>
>>47301919

> your math is wrong

Prove it.

> grazing shot

Every shot is a fucking grazing shot in world of darkness you fuckin retard. It's fine if the monsters in this game are too tough to be killed by guns, but the average human should go down in 1 to 2 shots. This is like that WoD story of a party getting tucked up by a fucking house at cat that left them with literal aggravated damage.

It's time to admit that your system is very poor at being anything but a Vampire Larp powerwank, and the gun mechanics are fuckng broken.
>>
>>47301764
Why would I want to play a game where my PC can die from a single gunshot?
>>
>>47302725

So why not improve the combat to be slightly less shitty?
>>
>>47302743
>It's time to admit that your system is very poor at being anything but a Vampire Larp powerwank, and the gun mechanics are fuckng broken.
You don't know enough about the mechanics to really say that.
>>
>>47302768
Combat system is a Lie so i dont use it.
>>
>>47302743
>Prove it.
Sure
Down & Dirty combat to kill, 83% chance to kill in one shot
>>
>>47302756

I'm not talkin about your character faggot I'm talking about the average person. Even so, your character taking more than 3 or 4 gunshots without supernatural help is retarded bullshit in the level of d20 modern.
>>
>>47302798

Do the fucking math, don't just say lol this and expect me to bother breaking out the books. I haven't played the system in like three years because I was sick of combat being a shirt slogfest and taking five rounds to shoot a police officer to death.
>>
>>47302743
White Wolf (and now Onyx Path) were always great for fluff but shit for mechanics.
>>
File: LOGO_HOTLINEMIAMI.png (280 KB, 582x291) Image search: [Google]
LOGO_HOTLINEMIAMI.png
280 KB, 582x291
>>47302756
Because it teaches you how to git gud.
>>
>>47302849
>3 years ago
...That's right about when the GMC update hit and fixed up a bunch of stuff.
Were your experiences 1e or 2e?
>>
>>47301764
Because even in real life people don't die in a single shot unless it hits their heart or their brain, which are difficult to hit.
They might die BECAUSE of that single shot, but they aren't going to die immediately, which is what dying in combat is.
>>
>>47302849
>hasn't played the game in three years
>posts just to complain about mechanics he doesn't even know
Why is there so much un-ironic shitposting in these threads?
>>
>>47302493

Hey, I ain't in a position to be choosy.
>>
File: 1426792292427.png (598 KB, 673x680) Image search: [Google]
1426792292427.png
598 KB, 673x680
>>47301952
>Beasts
>Sympathetic
>>
>>47303068
But what is there not to admire about a vulnerable yet proud sadist who's unaccepted by a cruel society judging him for the sole crime of being an unnatural horror who feeds off the suffering of the innocent?
>>
>>47302849
Ummm... 2e changed how combat works. Weapons don't add to die pools anymore. Just damage. So if you're using a magnum, and get two successes? You do 4 damage. Two of those WILL kill your average person.
>>
>>47303214
>>47302849
Shotguns, for example, add three damage and the 9-again property. So a shot gun is very likely to blow most motherfuckers away.
>>
>>47302925

They are often incapacitated though. Looks up single shit incapacitation statistics and don't come back until you know what the fuck you're talking about. I bet you think those one or two guys who take like eight bullets are somehow the norm.
>>
>>47302849
>Complains about how bad X mechanic is
>Hasn't actually read the mechanics that were updated over a year ago
>Hasn't actually played the game in years.
>Just really wants everyone to know how bad he thinks the things they like are.

I think someone just used Prime to summon the Platonic Ideal /tg/ poster.
>>
>>47303214

> it takes more than two shots from a fucking magnum (whatever that even means in your retarded no guns context) to kill an average man.

Well, it's better than it used to be, but it's still pretty fucking retarded.
>>
>>47303508

Nigger there is a reason I haven't played the game in years and it's because of these dumb fucking retarded gun rules. I loved on to better systems like Dungeon Wprld and GURPS.
>>
>>47302743
You full of shit.
Most people don't flat out die from one or two shots from a glock 17. Which is the weakest gun example.
The average law enforcer will have 2 dots in fire arms and 2 dex, they would be specially trained in pistols.
Do thats a dice pool of 5 vs nothing for most people.
So lets say you roll 2 success on average. You then down a normal person and they are bleeding to death. Seems pretty realistic to me.

So fuck off.
>>
>>47303564
Everyone knows that storyteller system generaly is not the best, people play wod\nwod for setting.
You can use GURPS but its HORRIBLE ABOMINATION FROM THE DEEPEST HELL OF EARTH KILLL IT KILL IT BEFORE ITS CONSUMES YOUR BRAIN ARHHRHRHHh
>>
>>47303564
So why exactly do you feel the need to come in here and tell us this?

Like I said, Platonic Ideal Shitposter.
>>
>>47303116
Don't forget declaring themselves the kings of all splats in a certain area even when those splats have got shit to do outside of babysitting otherkin.
>>
>>47303573

But that's the point being shit at shooting means you are shit at hitting vital areas rather than being shit at hitting at all. So you end up with very few misses but plenty of arm and leg hits that deal fuck all damage,

The dice pool emechsanic of WoD is fundamentally broken but you fags defend it to the death despite it being shit in shadow run as well.
>>
>>47303650
If you hate WoD, why are you here? You aren't going to "teach" us to share your opinions, since if we disliked WoD or were willing to stop playing WoD we wouldn't be in here.
>>
>>47303564
>I loved on to better systems like Dungeon Wprld
>where a typical fighter would easily survive 5+ direct hits with a gun

Yeah ok.
>>
>>47303684
Maybe we all traumatized by WoD and imagine for ourselves that we liked it and this knight in shiny armor saving us from ourselves. Rember when you were young and hopefull? When you hunt for loot in dungeons and slaying goblins instead of learning what platon forms may look like and memorising rulebooks using ars memoria? Rise up, crawl from this twisted Arcadia made from bones of virgin men!!
>>
>>47303776
>the shit-poster is a Beast
>>
>>47303776
The only thing traumatizing me right now is the way you keep butchering the English language.
>>
>>47303853
Sorry
>>
>>47303746

I like Dungeon World a whole lot but for someone to jump ship from WoD to it because they got mad at that they couldn't kill something in one or two hits is absolutely bizarre.

I had figured by now that the Chunky Salsa rule had found its way to every game, at least unofficially.
>>
>>47302400
>very vague in terms of what you can and cannot do. Can anyo
Read "How do you do that".
>>
>>47303684

No, Its because world of darkness players need to be shit and killed so they know what guns are like.

I seriously hope you get killed by a .357 and learn that real life isn't like your whiny emi vampire game. Fucking man children.
>>
>>47303949
Isn't it ironic then that the "whiny emi vampires" are more mature than you?
>>
>>47303949
>Fucking man children.
(you)
>>>/y/
>>>/o/
>>>/u/
>>
File: me and my lad.jpg (30 KB, 430x316) Image search: [Google]
me and my lad.jpg
30 KB, 430x316
>>47303949
>calls Dungeon World a better system
>tries to pull the realism argument
I don't even play Vampire nigga, I'm a changeling/demon/magefag

Wizards, fairy PTSD and biomechanical angel spies fo lyf, yo
>>
>>47303532
The average man has, like, 7 HP, and doesn't apply his defense to guns. No, two shots is going to kill him.
>>
>>47303996

Isn't it ironic that your game is total shit despite your best efforts to defend it?
>>
>>47304169
Now you become so fat even mage with space arcana cant see you whole.
>>
>>47303949

>I seriously hope you get killed by a .357

Pff, not likely. I'd already be heading to the hospital by the time you've let off your third or forth shot.
>>
>>47304169
Stay mad, moron. Imma listen Oingo Boingo and pointedly ignore you now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDVK_snQIs
>>
>>47304221
That IS if he could even hit you, though by my reckoning he couldn't hit a barn door with a banana from inside the barn.
>>
>>47304169

>this cinematic mechanical system works on movie logic with its guns
>therefore it is shit

Yes, the part of the combat system that does what it's supposed to do is the problem.
>>
>>47303949
But gunshot wounds aren't instantly lethal in real life. In fact, people can often miss from only a few feet away.
>>
>>47304280

Yeah no shut you can miss from a few fet away in real life. In world of darkness a clean miss is basically impossible because of the shittarded dice pool mechanics.
>>
>>47303650
Bullshit. If you give someone a gun, you can't expect him to hit with no training. They don't automatically hit their targets.
>>
>>47304235

> I lost the argument so I'll ignore it

Good for you chump. Maybe next time you'll learn to keep your mouth shut when adults are talking.
>>
>World of Baitness General
>>
File: Lawful_Good.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
Lawful_Good.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>47304371
Oh yeah, you saying it's shit is a real compelling argument. Oh wait. It's not.
>>
File: plyushch4_0.jpg (848 KB, 1280x1817) Image search: [Google]
plyushch4_0.jpg
848 KB, 1280x1817
I want to run Mage in Gotham City, but I'm not sure my players would like that.

How long do you think I can go before they realize all the Goetia Claimed are Batman villains?

>>47304389
Yeah, these last few threads have been garbage.
>>
>>47304365

Exactly. The mechanics support bullshit because of the partial success concept at the heart of dice pool mechsnics. That's the pint I've been trying to make this entire thread.
>>
>>47303214
>Weapons don't add to die pools anymore. Just damage. So if you're using a magnum, and get two successes? You do 4 damage.
This is good to know. We played our first game a few nights ago using a book purchased circa 2005 and felt like we were doing really poorly in combat, doing maybe 1 damage a round.
>>
>all this bait
>all these shitposts
>>
>>47304359

Then those are only grazing hits, or hit a non-lethal part of the body, or the other combatant has enough adrenaline pumping through them ignore the pain and damage until the next shot. In the new edition, that success might cause an Arm or Leg Wrack, or inflict some other kind of Tilt, or they may even just decide to give and give what the PC wants out of the conflict or at least pretend to.

You've got this weird idea of how a gun should work that's a mish-mash of how guns actually work, and how guns work in the movies. You're also ignoring the concept of cover and the exchange of penalties and bonuses that ideally should be applied to an intense gun fight.
>>
>>47304413

They are garbage because his game is garbage and the oh so sensitive fans can't handle anything but a circlekrjk because criticism of their perfect system leads them to listen to sabaton, write poetry , and cut themselves.
>>
>>47304371
>Maybe next time you'll learn to keep your mouth shut when adults are talking.
I'm sorry, but you seem to have the problem of walking right into other people who are gonna give you shit, might I suggest a pair of prescription glasses?
>>
File: 1216746652651.jpg (137 KB, 437x333) Image search: [Google]
1216746652651.jpg
137 KB, 437x333
>>47304424
What? What the fuck? I said that if you're trained, you'll hit. Because you will, in system. If you're untrained you'll hit fuck all. Two hits, if you get more than a single fucking success each time, which is not hard, will slay a motherfucker.
>>
>>47304413
>I want to run Mage in Gotham City
You brake the Lie and emerge in "real" world. Its world of darkness out there now.
>>
>>47304492
Oh mon cher~
>>
>>47304473

I didn't even mention cover you fucking moron. You have no idea how guns actually work, you are taking a few examples and twisting them to support your argument that gunfights should be drawn out hit point slugfests like DnD 4e.
>>
>>47304413
I'm a sucker for thematic villain groups—in my Geist game, the players' rival krewe were all themed after different playing cards—so I say go for it.
>>
>>47304359
What? It's totally possible to miss it you're either unskilled or unlucky.
>>47304476
You know CofD is very different from WoD, right?
>>
>>47304476

It works fine, you just don't seem to know how guns actually work or how the actual game works. The problem with the game system is that its got "rocket tag" all over it, not that it takes a normal amount of shots to kill a person in a white room situation.
>>
>>47304497
What?

>>47304520
Mage literally gives you bonuses for having a group theme.
>>
>>47304389
>Bait: the Shitposting

>>47304462
>tfw Fagness has to call you out for shit-posting and taking the bait
>>
>>47304544
IE. If you have one dot in guns, and two dex, you have a 65% chance of hitting. If you miss, you still do no damage.
>>
File: Arrow uses Sympathetic Magic.gif (1 MB, 280x189) Image search: [Google]
Arrow uses Sympathetic Magic.gif
1 MB, 280x189
>>47304584
It's pretty damn sad.
>>
>>47302827
You're the dumb faggot who never read the rules. If you're talking about NPCs then just use the Down & Dirty rules and then any lethal damage kills them.
>>
>>47304519

Humans don't die in one gunshot unless the shooter is in ideal conditions and is very well trained. A typical gunfight in an abstract combat system like WoD is either going to be narratively handwaved via Down and Dirty or ST fiat, or it's going to be a drawn out gunfight, because gunfights are long and drawn out when people who know what they're doing start fighting.

Again, the idea that you seem to hate "long drawn out fights" and then claim to enjoy Dungeon World makes me wonder if you've ever actually paid attention to how the games work.
>>
>>47304584
>Bait: the Shitposting
You play as a creature who roams message boards and leave comments with one and simple goal - collect as many hatred as you can to feed.
You can play as electric spirit, A.I, gremlin, fey locked inside machine.
>>
Why is Beast: The Primordial not in the mega bin? Its been out for awhile now and mediafire is being an asshole right now.
>>
>>47304668
Instead of Vitae or Mana, your powers are fueled by (You)'s.
>>
>>47304724
Because no one updates the mega anymore.
>>
>>47304668
Goal should be to collect as many (You)s as possible. Hatred is merely one path to a proper baitpost.
>>
>>47304724
None of the CofD stuff is
>>
>>47302768
Isn't it a consensus the storyteller/storytelling system has always been a horrible mess without many redeeming qualities?
>>
>>47304731
>>47304748
(You)s is power trait
Fatness is morality trait
Willpower is changed for Faggotry. You can auto succeed any action, but you Faggotry will rise. With high Faggotry anime pictures start appearing in your posts, you get permanent tripcode, if there is other Shitpostkin in the thread you start uncontrollable chat with them.
>>
>>47304724
Public health
>>
>>47304649

> the point of the rules is to ignore the rules.

Yeah you're full of shit. Have fun with your garbage system.
>>
>>47304897
Antagonists: Mods, Hunters, Everyone else.
>>
File: 1441818167153.jpg (126 KB, 950x591) Image search: [Google]
1441818167153.jpg
126 KB, 950x591
So I'm new to Mage 2nd Edition, but I'm interested in playing a private detective, any suggestions?
>>
>>47304981
Mastigos
>>
>>47304849
No, I'm pretty sure that people like it, or else they wouldn't play it.
>>
>>47304981
11th Question. The legacy written up in the book.
It's Sherlock Holmes - the Legacy. It even advocates getting annoying personal habits.
>>
>>47304981
11th Question, no doubt.
>>
Would switching the Obrimos Inferior from Death to Matter be seriously unbalanced?
>>
So, what's the Beast rewrite like? What's different? Has anyone figured the way to run the game without the PC feeling like a bunch of petty little shits out to get innocent people for kick? I would kinda like to scare dudes in elaborate ways and have a cool lair, but the whole premise seems off.
>>
>>47305032
People like the setting and are too lazy to convert to a better one. At least I am. Also most of my friends have a passing familiarity with it.
>>
>>47305125
You miss out on one of the best combos in the game. The joy of turning a man's pants into fire.
>>
>>47305246
Wow, really? I came from D&D/Fate, and the Storytelling system is my favorite now.
>>
>>47304849
Combat is really the only sticking point for my group, and we usually use some form of houserules to make it more tolerable. The dicepool mechanic itself is a nice middle ground between buckets of d6s and the completely unpredictable nature of d20.
>>
>>47305260
So much better than just setting them on fire. So. Much. Better.
>>
>>47305217
It's honestly no harder to not be a dick than any other WoD game. You just spook the baddies, and you use Family Dinner. Vigilantism is basically encouraged. The real problem isn't "oh no all the Beasts are shitheads who rape babies". The real problem is that the only focused part of the game is going off--generally alone--to spook someone masturbatorially, or just watch someone else regain their energy stat and jerk off to that. Feeding is personal, but it's also something you're intended to do a lot. On top of the necessary party breaks, you've got nothing really good to focus on besides dicking around in things, but it's not as encouraged or rewarding as in Mage.

Creating your Magical Realm is fun, but again, kind of personal.

>>47304849
>>47305246
I love the mechanics, Chronicles' updates especially. I have a few tweaks--starting XP, Brawl or Athletics for Defense--but it's my favourite system and I have to actively stop myself from trying to homebrew things like Shadowrun into nWoD.
>>
>>47305287
Preferring Storytelling over DnD I can get. It's very specific and some edition have it's problems. But Fate? Everyone loves Fate. I've run an Ascension game based on Fate Core and everyone had a blast. What Fate did you play?
>>
>>47305373
Oh no, I love Fate. Love it. Just love CofD more.
>>
>>47305309
Never need to worry about needing a source again. Is it made of matter? It's now fire. Not on fire, made of fire.
>>
>>47305373
>>47305413
Also worth noting that I've played every D&D edition from 2e on. I just really, really love CofD.
>>
>>47305344
>It's honestly no harder to not be a dick than any other WoD game. You just spook the baddies, and you use Family Dinner.
The only other game that requires you to fuck up other people is vampire and at least they can get something out of it (pleasure, immortality, money). And Family Dinner is tougher to use than any other game, requiring you to follow around possibly hostile supernaturals and get a penalized chance at a meal.

Beast was poorly thought out and poorly designed.
>>
>>47305373
I tolerate Fate, but I don't actually like. The aspects system is interesting, shared character/setting creation is wonderful, but I'm not a huge fan of the pyramid, and I hate the way combat is handled. In practice, every Fate fight ends up turning into piling aspects onto the bad guy and then one punching him down, and that's both silly and unfun.
>>
>>47305441
Not every supernatural is hostile. The whole point of Family Dinner--and a lot of Beast's more tacked on aspects--is that you're looking to build a family and meet new supers and jerk off watching them eat. It's not really all that difficult, and there are plenty of supers that would be okay with that, especially with some of the buffy abilities that Beast has.
>>
>>47305500
>Not every supernatural is hostile.
That's why I said possibly.
> The whole point of Family Dinner--and a lot of Beast's more tacked on aspects--is that you're looking to build a family and meet new supers and jerk off watching them eat. It's not really all that difficult, and there are plenty of supers that would be okay with that, especially with some of the buffy abilities that Beast has.
There's really no reason for any of the player groups to trust them enough to bring them into their cabal.
>>
>>47305260
It's okay, with all the nerfing Obris got in the new ruleset you wouldn't be able to pull this off anyway
>>
>>47305494
>In practice, every Fate fight ends up turning into piling aspects onto the bad guy and then one punching him down, and that's both silly and unfun
I'm not sure if it's supposed to work that way. Some fate systems had rules about have many aspects you can trigger at once. I'm not sure. Anyway Fate games led to more descriptive combat in my group, if not actually that interesting mechanically. nWoD combat usually consisted of saying "I attack him again" a lot and "I guess I'd better add willpower and hit him really hard". Second edition may be a bit different, I haven't played it much yet.
>>
>>47304919

Please play better PbtA games.
>>
>>47305647
FATE is terrible, it's literally cancer where the biggest loudmouth takes up all the oxygen in the room describing the most inane things or whooping like a chimp anytime they can justify something triggering one of their special snowflake descriptors.
>>
>>47305647

The Tilts help a lot for the description of combat, I think.
>>
>>47303532
How is two shots from a magnum killing a person (which is pretty realistic) retarded? Or is it just because you've lose the argument?)
>>
>>47305548
There's not really any reason not to. Inherent distrust is so oWoD.

>>47305679
One of the things I hate the most is people who can't just casually dislike something, they have to drone on and on about how terribad it is as if anyone gives a shit about their opinion.
>>
>>47305582
Sure you can. It just takes four dots instead of three now. Which sucks, yeah, but still obtainable.
>>
>>47305373
>Everyone loves Fate.
Speaking as someone who loves Fate, I know that's flagrantly untrue. Granted, a lot of folks who dislike it are idiots like this guy >>47305679. But still.

One reason I could see someone preferring CofD is how everyone in a game of Fate can feel pretty same-y from a mechanical perspective. CofD ties mechanics very closely to fluff, and the books are full of lots of neat plot hooks—it just FEELS very evocative for the kinds of games it's intended to run, and often that's what matters most.

I think that's probably why I still play CofD, even when I find the generic Storyteller system fairly uncompelling.
>>
How do I played Mage the Ascension? I'm understanding spheres, but not how they can be combined.
>>
>>47305679

Fate is probably my favorite system on the market, alongside GUMSHOE. It's really, really good at what it does.
>>
>>47304897
Surely that'd make Faggotry your power stat, or Supernatural Tolerance as they've started calling it? Then (You)s would be your spell points, like Mana or Vitae.
>>
>>47306352
Don't, play Awakening instead.

Then don't play Awakening and play Promethean instead
>>
Where is the difference between Black Wolf and Dire Wolf?
>>
>>47303532
gun fetishism has done terrible things to the gaming community
>>
>>47306685

I was invited to an Ascension game, and I'm not in a position to be choosy.
>>
>>47306867
Black Wolf is sneaky night assassin.
Dire Wolf is big bad evil wolf.
>>
>>47307533
Creating custom spells combining Spheres is like doing so with the Arcanum in MtAw.

It's practically a bargaining process with the GM where you both decide what level of each sphere would be needed for an effect.

Simply put, you need to take each spell and render it down into its core components.
Say you want to turn a Man into a Statue.
You'll need Life sufficient to transform a living being into something radically different (in MtAw that 4+) and Matter sufficient to transform something radically different into inert matter (Matter 4+).

Homing Bullet?
Not sure with Ascension's equivalent for Fate is, but that should be Space 3 + Fate 2.
>>
File: hikaon ur dire wolf.png (551 KB, 1236x842) Image search: [Google]
hikaon ur dire wolf.png
551 KB, 1236x842
>>47308021
>>47306867
>>
>>47308278

technically, Death an Fate are rolled into one sphere, Entropy. while thematically unusual, the fate-control is rationalized as controlling the rate and method of 'decay' of possibilities
>>
>>47308278
I'm not sure how Fate figures into a spell that tells a bullet who to hit.
>>
>>47301764
I played an action based game using the system back before 2e. I don't know what you're doing because enemies lasted 1 to 3 turns.

And 2e doesn't do jack to firearms.
>>
File: MTA CofD.png (674 KB, 1152x1495) Image search: [Google]
MTA CofD.png
674 KB, 1152x1495
>>47302400
I'd check page 123 (Practices) of the Mage 2e book for general knowledge. For your first time just use standard Rote type Spells as examples and in case your ST says "no" a lot. See how everyone else uses their spheres and work from there.

Talk with your gm about ways to get creative.

>>47302493
Y-You Too!
>>
>>47308615
Fate tells the bullet who to hit.
>>
>>47306484
Coming from you that's not an endorsement. It's strong evidence to stay away.
>>
>>47308615
>A bullet with your name on it
>>
>>47308815
In ascension that'd be

Instrument : True Names.
>>
Back with more "how what I'm playing at the moment relates to WoD".

Tomb Raider 2013 makes me want to run a Secrets of the Ruined Temple style game. Some archeology and grave robbing and fucked up Abyssal monsters and Supernal guardians that definitely don't want you poking about.

What Path would Lara be? I wanna say Moros or Mastigos, but maybe not. I could also see Thyrsus. But I don't think Obrimos fits.
>>
>>47308907

I want big tits Lara back
>>
>>47308907
Definitely Mysterium at least..
>>
File: membul.png (254 KB, 1332x661) Image search: [Google]
membul.png
254 KB, 1332x661
>>47308815
>>47308824
>>
>>47308907
I'd put her down as Acanthus personally.
>>
>>47308784
>>47308815
>Space 4, Alter Direction
Tell the bullet to fly at the guy you fired at.
>Forces 3, Turn Momentum(Reach optional)
Redirect any bullets that miss toward the guy you want them to hit.
Neither of these requires Fate to tell the bullet who to hit
It just hits them
>>
File: 1459994467042.jpg (98 KB, 778x213) Image search: [Google]
1459994467042.jpg
98 KB, 778x213
>>47308972
>>
how are people complaining guns are weak in this game

no defense against them, spend a willpower and watch the successes + weapon modifier + Bleeding tilt roll in

Mortals are universally in for a bad time if anyone pulls out a pistol, nevermind if they have a heavier gun
>>
>>47309015
Literally a Meme Game.
>>
>>47309018
Bleeding Tilt?
>>
>>47309010
Fire and forget bullet.
Fate means you don't have to try and personally figure out every turn and correction in its flight path.

It'll just do it right.
>>
>>47308970
Of course.
>>47308973
Eh. I could see it, but only because of the exceptional luck that these Indiana Jones descendants have.

>>47308952
I hate the original Lara Croft. I do like this game, though. This one is definitely an Obrimos, with all the shooty fire bullets and magic staffing
>>
>>47309463
That game was more fun than it should have been.
>>
File: Temple of Osiris.jpg (81 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Temple of Osiris.jpg
81 KB, 1360x768
>>47309605
It really was. I wish my friends had it. I beat it a few days ago but I keep going back to shoot mummies when I want something where I don't want to finish anything I'm playing or start something new.
>>
>>47309250
The same goes for Alter Direction
You just tell it 'forward' is 'towards that guy' and it flies directly towards him, no matter what
>>
>>47309800
Arcana overlap is a good thing, Anon.
>>
So the whole firearms argument TL;DR:

>Player 1:"Combat isn't realistic! I want my guns to kill with every bullet! Every bullet aimed at the head will kill!

>Player 2: two bullets from a shit gun will kill most people. A shitty shot cop from a nice neighborhood can take you out pretty easily. If you want more lethal combat, use down and dirty combat.

>Player 1: NOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOoooooOO! The game rules are broken and shit!
>>
>>47310132
Let it go.
Let is pass through you and see beyond.
Shitposting is part of the Lie, Anon.
>>
>>47309800
>directly towards him
Which might hit an obstacle.
>>
>>47310040
Never said it as a bad thing
I'm just saying that you don't need a Space+Fate conjunctive spell to have homing bullets.
>>
>>47310218
Of course not, but Fate refines the targetting to avoid things you don't know about.
>>
>>47310218
You don't, yeah. I think it was brought up because it was an example spell in the book.
>>
>>47309018
Dude started complaining about how guns were weak. Then switched up to they are to strong.
Either way he is a total bitch.
>>
>>47310255
Things you don't know about implies the target isn't in Sensory Range, in which case you're better off just using Sympathetic Range to open an iris at the end of the barrel that leads to right in front of the target's forehead, or something else to the same effect.

>>47310207
>+1 Reach: The mage can redefine directions as curves, loops, or other shapes beyond a simple straight line. This might allow her to cause anyone walking straight ahead to move in an endless circle, or trace a “straight” path for her bullets that weaves around obstacles and friendlies. Apply the spell’s Potency as a bonus or penalty to relevant actions.
>>
>>47309800
Nah, you tell it "down" is "towards that guy" and then shoot straight up into the air. Forward can easily run into issues with the bullet coming out of the gun wrong, while down can ensure it starts tracking after it gets out, and also means that if the bullet would come to a stop it keeps going slowly because gravity keeps trying to pull it down. Also you specify the guy's heart instead of the guy in general for extra fun.

Alternatively you just tell that guy that "towards the ground" is "away from the ground", launching him into the stratosphere if he doesn't have some way of stopping it.
>>
>>47309463
>I hate the original Lara Croft.

Fag spotted
>>
>>47310504
Now that's wizard thinking, there

>Alternatively you just tell that guy that "towards the ground" is "away from the ground", launching him into the stratosphere if he doesn't have some way of stopping it.
True, though we were straight up trying for 'homing bullets', not general methods of murder.
>>
>>47310528
The character design was "slutty stripper titty monster" and the personality was "I'm rich and enjoy robbing graves for my private collection".

Preppy headstrong archeology student turned psychopath badass is much more interesting. Plus she's constantly beat to shit and yet unstoppable, and that's very much my fetish.
>>
People asking for more sample 2E Legacies, there's one in To The Strongest, the second chapter of Dark Eras. Doesn't spell out what reach is spent on though.
>>
File: Drac_is_Back.png (148 KB, 266x259) Image search: [Google]
Drac_is_Back.png
148 KB, 266x259
>>47311194
Damn, son. Aspel BTFO.
>>
>>47310641
Thinking on further unethical uses of space, you combine three dots with two of life to create a Ban (the spell, not the feature of spirits) that only effects blood. Some poor fool tries to walk through it and finds himself completely exsanguinated. Alternatively for something less prone to friendly fire just designate appendixes and gallbladders, having had your cabal mates' ones already removed.

Alternatively the GM just smacks you and disallows using Space Bans to sever arbitrary parts of a whole with no save.
>>
>>47312104
That's... that's fucked up.
>>
>>47312149
Mage has a Wisdom stat for a reason, you know.
>>
>>47312171
Seemingly, to lower it.
>>
Friendly reminder that Dark Ages is better than modern day WoD and should be made into a third distinct gameline.
>>
>>47312219

If you say so
>>
>>47312149
Yeah, my mind goes weird places when figuring out optimal ways to use powers kill things. Admittedly that could also be used for amazing surgical tricks with some extra work and another dot of life to heal the damage. But punching out all of someone's blood just has a certain style to it. I mean there's any number of other ways to abuse it in combat, but that's a nice quick kill. The real trick is forcing them through it, because I doubt they'll walk far enough in for it to be instantly fatal without further work. If you don't want as much of a mess afterwards specify bone instead. This can also be used in the kitchen to quickly turn ordinary meat into boneless, skinless meat. Or to separate egg yolks from whites without even cracking the shell.
>>47312171
Hubris is a coward's word. In all seriousness I mostly consider this sort of thing for the abstract, because ludicrous gibs just don't fit the characters I play.
>>
File: what.png (1 MB, 850x1094) Image search: [Google]
what.png
1 MB, 850x1094
Guys? What the fuck.

No, seriously, what the fuck.
>>
>>47312810
That's an old Darkstalkers game. Like, 20 years old. What does it have to do with WoD? I'm being it's a shop.
>>
File: anniversary1.jpg (150 KB, 1000x2047) Image search: [Google]
anniversary1.jpg
150 KB, 1000x2047
>>47311194
>Wearing short shorts
>Ever
I also never said there was anything wrong with strippers. Haven't you ever heard of chiggers? Or poison oak? You don't hike in hotpants. Much less raid tombs. At least New Lara was caught off guard. Old Lara was just too rich to care!

>>47312810
>>47312886
Literally just licensing the name for no reason. Pretty sure White Wolf still gets royalties whenever the wrestler Gangrel shows up in a video game. I know CCP was mentioned in the last one I saw.
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Capcom
>>
>>47312810
>why crossover games are terrible.
>>
Am i still banned?
>>
>>47312886
Well, here's the weird thing, it wasn't even called Vampire Savior in america, it was called Darkstalkers 3.

Maybe this is the other half of the deal the Street Fighter RPG spawned out of?
>>
>>47312894
You definitely don't live somewhere hot, do you? Or have seen what people wear when they go climbing? Short shorts are kind of super fucking common.
>>
>>47312910
Well, you posted, so...
>>
>>47312947
It was a test.
>>
>>47312952
Then I guess you passed.
>>
>>47312104
It'd be more like a brick wall man. Your body is fucking FULL of blood.
>>
>>47312910
Yes
>>
>>47312976
No, you see the spell is actually a bit oddly named. It doesn't prevent the targeted things from going through the boundaries, it causes the space enclosed to be skipped by the targeted phenomenon. So if you try to enter you come out the opposite exterior side, or if you try to leave you go to the opposite interior side. Stepping through one set solely for blood would mean you enter the area and all your blood spills on the opposite exterior side, while you collapse suddenly completely devoid of blood, having entered the interior.
>>
>>47313085
Doesn't work. Your blood is part of your pattern. It would just make it so that spilled blood doesn't enter the area.
>>
>>47313099
What if you spilled blood while inside?
>>
>>47313132
Ban is a barrier, not an area affect. Once you're past it, the only problem is getting back out again
>>
>>47313085
Given the writing of the spell, Space 3 + Time 2 = Time Freeze bubble.
>>
>>47313170
Nah, Time is detached enough from Space that it doesn't cross the boundary (except if you're casting projectile spells perhaps). Now using it with Matter to make your character immune to gunshots is a great option, just remember to figure out a way to make it not make it impossible for you to use your own weapons.
>>
>Mages commonly call Wisdom, Sophia, so basically they're calling wisdom, wisdom just in greek

OH I GET IT, BECAUSE OF GNOSTICISM, RIGHT GUYS? DON'T YOU LOVE GNOSTICISM GUYS IT'S SO COOL LOOK AT OUR GNOSTIC INSPIRED GAME.
>>
>>47313337
Calm down, anon
Take a nap
>>
>>47313437
But I have to read Mage before saturday so I can play ;~:
>>
>>47313337
Chill out man, just call it Wisdom if Greek gets you so rectally ravaged.
>>
>>47313453
Then read it without getting a stick up your ass about the terminology it uses, because literally nobody else gives a shit
>>
>>47313493
>>47313485
No but it matters to me, an that's all that matters.
>>
>>47313337
Oh man, gnosis must fill you with rage constantly, huh? Or the path names?
>>
>>47313603
Or the fact that the game is about a Gnostic attempt to reach a Platonistic realm of pure symbolism and imagination.
>>
>>47313603
>>47313701
Nah the rest of it is fine, that one thing just hit me right in the fucking autism, famalamadingdong
>>
>>47313729
But... all the other things are Greek as well...
>>
>>47313846
Laser Guided Autism, my dood
>>
>>47309015
>Monsoon writes an RPG.jpg
>>
>>47314725
>Memes are prisons
>All memes are intrinsically flaws
>>
>>47302743
To be fair. That story had the GM fucking up, he used the statblock for a mountain lion sized "cat".
>>
>>47302743
B-but I don't even like Vampire that much.
>>
So. I've been looking at how spell stacking works in Mage 2e. And spells only count as stacking if they increase the same thing.

Does this mean I can cast one full spell to boost Strength, and another full spell to boost Dexterity?
They buff different things, after all.
>>
>>47316735
It's different spells affecting different aspects of the character. That they use the same practice is irrelevant. Go for it man.
>>
>>47316762
Yeah, that's what I said. A guy in my group says that since they directly reinforce the body of the subject, they do the same thing.
>>
>>47316805
So does practically every other Life spell.
Tell him to stop being an idiot.
>>
Could you use Fate to make yourself permanently late to things, and thus avoid death that way?
>>
>>47316971
Only Miracle (Fate 5) with +2 reach, one Willpower and a Mana can save you from almost certain death.
>>
>>47316996
Damn, well I guess you can't make a Mage version of Atticus Smedry then, bugger.
>>
>>47303564
>I moved on to better systems like Dungeon World and GURPS.
Did you used nWoD settings? I would kill for a good nWoD GURPS conversion.
>>
>>47317012
Actually, just use Time instead.
Hop back along your limeline a few minutes when close to death, then avoid the threat.
>>
>>47317039
This is the True Mans World.
>>
I'm looking at Chaos Mastery, the 4 dot Fate spell. It says that you can reflexively apply any of the spell's effects up to a certain amount. Of these effects is the ability to deal damage as a direct attack spell. Does this mean I could machine-gun off a all of this effect in one turn, and potentially deal with a problem enemy all at once?
>>
>>47317240

At the face that seems possible, but remember that something has to be actually happening to cause the damage; it's just using the direct-damage metric as a measuring stick, you're not actually just ripping their pattern apart, or it'd be a different spell.

5 cars that all come crashing through the windows at once aren't going to add up to the same kind of calamity as 5 separate car impacts.
>>
What if...
You a mortal journalist investigating some important but completely mundane thing. Like a plane crash caused by pilot error. Something didnt add up and you keep digging. There is no supernatural stuff involved. You spend maybe few years on this task and its grinding your brain.
During some completely unrelated event you Awaken.
So my question is - can this old and mundane catastrophe be a Mystery?
>>
>>47317429
>Mystery
>Mundane
Not in the Mage sense of the word
>>
>>47317429
It "could", maybe. Mysteries can be any bit of weirdness in the world that you want to investigate more or less. A situation like that may or may not count.
>>
>>47317429
Only if he eventually comes to realize that the plane crash was actually caused by his Mage self traveling back in time to ensure his own Awakening.
>>
>>47317429
>Mystery
Do you mean Obsession?
>>
So, for a mages nimbus. They talk about how it gets more "obvious" at higher gnosis. For a thyrsus, what would you be looking at for say, a gnosis seven mage?
>>
>>47317757

Horse dicks
>>
>>47318054
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>47317757
The pain of childbirth (and the accompanying accidental poo 80% of the time) and the sensations of life being made overwhelm those that feel it
>>
>>47317099
Survival lets you hit the roadagain.
>>
>>47317429
If you're asking if the journalist could Awaken... I'd allow it. The journalist learns more and more about the mundane catastrophe until they finally see the Supernal symbols of cause, consequence, randomness and tragedy. They start their Mage career knowing that sometimes people just mess up and things happen (Acanthus) or how an accident can change so many lives (Moros).
>>
>>47317757
It depends what their Nimbus was to start out with. I'm pretty sure it doesn't change as they go up, just gets more intense.
So, say, a Thyrsus whose nimbus makes people act more primal/based on instinct at Gnosis 1, at Gnosis 7 it might cause people to get claws or sharper teeth, or just act more like animals

So, whereas a G1 Nimbus flare might lead to a couple of guys nearby coming to blows over whatever they were talking about(or whipping their dicks out, if they were basically already having a dick-measuring contest or flirting, whatever), at Gnosis 7, they might hunch over, grow claws, and try to kill each other(or otherwise just act more like primitives)
>>
File: image.png (806 KB, 680x917) Image search: [Google]
image.png
806 KB, 680x917
>>47315490
I'm sure he could believe it, his emphasis is that they control everything. And the Memes must flow
>>
>>47319327
The Nimbus Tilt can be completely redesigned with each Gnosis increase. It's in the sidebar on page 90. It doesn't outright state that the Nimbus itself changes, though.
>>
>>47319448
If the Nimbus completely changed, it would entirely defeat the point of the Signature Nimbus; after someone raised their Gnosis, their Nimbus would be different, and thus their Signature Nimbus would change, and you'd have no way of knowing that you've seen their magic before

Granted, the Nimbus completely changing could work in a game focused around paranoia, but in a default game, I'm pretty sure the sidebar is referring to, for example, a Nimbus that resembles an angelic halo. At Gnosis 1, it might just be a golden aura that gives you a +1 to Presence-based rolls. At Gnosis 7, you could incorporate an otherwordly hum and wings, making it a +2 to Intimidation, and a -2 to Resolve. It's still an angelic halo, but the effect of it changes.
>>
>>47319327
The Nimbus isn't going to turn people into monsters. No matter how high it is, it won't do things like that. At best you'll get very obvious but minor changes to the world around you, like dust collecting faster, and giving the people around you heart palpitations.

>>47319448
>>47320288
The Nimbus always changes and grows, based on your self, your Arcana, your Shadowname, your Gnosis. A newly Awakened Obrimos might have a Nimbus that's a simple glowing halo at Gnosis 1, but by Gnosis 7 when they're Forces 5, going by Odinson, and Bannerwarden for their cabal of important Consilium members, that vague white glow around the head is a crown of thunder, the crashing sound of a hammer on armour, and muffled, distant shouts of the sound of battle.

It's like doing facial recognition on a five year old versus that same person at 50.
>>
>>47320288
Nimbus changes within a theme? Sounds reasonable. Still, if a Mage drastically redesigned their magic methods (or joined a Legacy), major Nimbus changes ought to be allowed.
"Your Nimbus used to be a sandstorm. Now it's the screaming of a thousand damned souls. Anything you want to tell us?"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGTYavVZFo
Is this Werewolf.
>>
>>47320657
>Cabal of Mages staging an intervention for one of their number because his Nimbus has changed.
Sounds like a good session hook to me.
>>
>>47320662
it can be
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.