[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wheel of Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: rq1a1vwb9jiblxlkq3b1.jpg (277 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
rq1a1vwb9jiblxlkq3b1.jpg
277 KB, 1024x752
So it was announced today that they are turning the Wheel of Time series into a television series.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-wheel-of-time-is-going-to-be-a-tv-series-after-all-1773693457

Thoughts on this /tg/?
>>
>>46972858
It might be good like GoT, but it'll probably be bad
>>
>>46972858
I feel like this is definitely a series that could be a good series to watch, (especially if they fix books 8-10 to happen simultaneously)

However, it's also possible to fuck it up so hard I'm not sure how to feel.
>>
noice desu
>>
Can't say I'm much of a WoT fan. I don't think the series agreed well, though I can see why people may like it. It certainly doesn't seem like something that would translate into a TV show in any case.
>>
File: Zardoz-1.jpg (108 KB, 970x544) Image search: [Google]
Zardoz-1.jpg
108 KB, 970x544
>>46972858
Oh joy, can't wait to see the shitstorms caused by ol' Egewene "penis hating self entitled magic crack addict" al'Vere.
>>
>>46973451
Anime?
>>
File: aiel.jpg (726 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
aiel.jpg
726 KB, 2048x1536
Neat, I wonder if they would keep Rand's harem in this

Also thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ts8cPScXM
>>
>>46973257
>GoT
>good
>>
>>46973621
Will we get to see a mostly insane man impregnate a 14 year old girl and have everyone be happy about it on television?
A man can dream.
>>
>>46973884
first season was
>>
>>46972858
Well, at the very least they can't translate the description. Unless they literally devote 5 minutes of an episode on instructions on how to wash silk
>>
File: 1455436209470.jpg (829 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1455436209470.jpg
829 KB, 2560x1600
>>
>>46974057
Pretty sure all Rand's waifus were at least 18. Unless you're talking about a different insane man, it's not like those were in short supply in the series.
>>
>>46974184
Mat maybe? I remember Tuon being young.
>>
>>46974212
Tuon was 19 or 20 IIRC, she just looked younger.
>>
File: EmondsField.jpg (638 KB, 1565x1600) Image search: [Google]
EmondsField.jpg
638 KB, 1565x1600
>>46972858
It's been optioned a long time.

If you search YT you'll find a horrible Lews Therin scene they had to air a couple of years back to keep the option.

This is probably an attempt to cash in on the GoT hype.

I don't get my hopes up. The material is problematic to say the least. And I don't mean the rape and underage sex. I mean it goes in tedious circles for 3+ books. Saunderson really pulled it out of a spiral.

If they get him on board, I'll consider getting hyped. Until then I'll mutter about bloody womenfolk and roll my dice unperturbed.
>>
>>46973884
By live action fantasy adaptation standards even the comparatively terrible recent seasons are amazingly high quality.
>>
>>46974338
>>46974544
If they bring Jordan's widow on to reign in the stupid bullshit TV execs will want to shove into it, it might be good. Like when GRRM was still overseeing the GoT show.

That said, I'll keep my hopes modest for the time being.
>>
Great an hour of dress straightening and braid tugging...
>>
>>46974160
>>46974639
Well, they didn't have hours of exposition about food in GoT, though.
>>
>>46972858
>TUGGING ON BRAID INTENSIFIES
>>
>>46974639
Blood and Bloody Ashes
>>
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 1270x1894) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 1270x1894
Are you kidding? In today's political climate? The whole worldbuilding premise of WoT is that the two genders have mutually exclusive access to their respective branches of magic. Not to mention that half of all the dialog in the series is each gender talking about how the other one is stupid and never makes any sense.

Tumblr is going to go insane over the perceived sexism in this series. Having your gender decide your magic goes completely against the "gender is a social construct" narrative that's been taking over the zeitgeist in recent years.

Even if it's good, it'll cause a shitstorm.
>>
>>46975101
There's even a tranny. Having sex iirc.
>>
>>46975218
Lets not forget that Satan gives sex reassignment as a punishment to one of his lieutenants.
>>
>>46975519
S what I meant.
>>
>>46972858
Oh, dear GOD the trigger platoons are gonna go apeshit in the later seasons.

I cannot WAIT for the salt.
>>
>>46972858
Question is, are they gonna keep the Seanchan sounding like Texans, per authorial intent?
>>
>>46975101
>men dominate the force of magic
>women submit to it

TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
>>
>>46972858
Could turn out well. Without an internal monologue We don't have to hear about the women thinking men are all fools for the 30th time that book.

If they are true to the source material people are going to be throwing a fit over neither Aiel or Seanchan being asian or arab or something. I was a little confused until I heard the explanation about why the not-Chinese and the not-Arabs were all white. The explanation makes sense and adds o the depth of the world, but I don't think it's going to be very popular.
>>
>>46972858
There is no way this is going to be good. The book series it was BASED on is somewhat overrated and has the most infuriating women characters of all time.
>>
>>46975101
In a way it's perfect for this ID politic ravaged decade.
>>
I could see it turning out better than the GoT adaptation desu. They have a complete plot in the thousand page novels nobody wants to read, and really if Jordan was forced to the kind of constraints that tv writers have to keep to then he might not have wasted so much space on braid-tugging. It's much easier to edit down an overly long source than bring together and wrap up a messy story the author has abandoned.
>>
>>46975101
They'll probably be pretty hyped about the order of witches with immense political and magical power. GoT is full of female characters who get shit done and don't get raped.
>>
File: 1458429920473.png (167 KB, 440x516) Image search: [Google]
1458429920473.png
167 KB, 440x516
>>46975660
>Oh, dear GOD the trigger platoons are gonna go apeshit in the later seasons.
>I cannot WAIT for the salt.

This, really. If it's done halfway decent and stick to the actual plot. If only the books didn't exist though.

>>46975101

I enjoyed the way men and women spout bullshit about each other. Especially as it was the same for all levels of society.

If it's actually good enough to last, I look forward to MILF Tylin and loli Tuon getting their claws on Mat.
>>
>>46976027

I agree it has the most a grabbing gender dynamicable in the history of fiction, but it is pretty good
>>
>>46976348

I hate fucking autocorrect. Aggravating gender dynamics
>>
>>46976150
I think you forget that literally nobody likes the aes sedai and they're constantly shut down for being childish bitches by literally every other group that has female spellcasters. There's also the bits where they get rekt by the black tower and the seanchan, most of their higher ups and shit are filled with black ajah, and in general the terrible opinion the books kind of force you to have of them.
>>
>>46976150

Watch them be made completely justified at every turn and displayed as infallible rather than the dumb cunts they get repeatedly shown to be in the books.

I think the only tolerable one was the based old lady fishwife who got turned into a teenager.
>>
>>46976521
Ah, Siuan. Perhaps the most tsundere female character in the series.

Dumbing down Aes Sedai idiocy is extremely likely, unless they're the designated bad guys like Elaida. Another flashpoint would be the damane, female slaves treated like animals and such.
>>
>>46979142
>Another flashpoint would be the damane
Maybe, but the people holding the chains are also women.
>>
>>46979279
The practice was instituted by Hawkwing, a black man iirc. Patriarchy as fuck.
>>
>>46979326
Hawkwing's son, because Hawkwing had been mind-controlled by a man (Ishamael, leader of the Forsaken, during one of his free-from-the-Seal decades) to hate Aes Sedai and passed that attitude on.
>>
>>46979279
Damane are the ones who have the spark inborn, and who'll begin channeling no matter what.

The leash-holders, I forget the name, were the ones who can learn to channel, but wouldn't if they never tried. Unless they spend too long with the leash.
>>
>>46979363
Wait. When did that happen? It's been forever since I read the books, and I haven't read past book 7 or so.
>>
>>46976521
You are forgetting the other based aes sedai, Verin.

Brown in her soul.
>>
>>46979363
are you sure? from what I remember it basically went:

"Channeling men want nuts, as they do, some women made prototype A'dam to contain them. Crown used their own invention to enslave said witches and kept them around because its really neat to have your own pet genocide generators"
>>
>>46972858
Well the series is finished, so they don't really have a good casus belli to change shit up. They still will for MUH DIVERSITY. Either Perrin or Mat are probably going to be foreign.
>>
>>46972858

That has to be my favorite book cover of all time
>>
>>46981236
...Thats not a good thing, really.
If they want to be all "muh diversity" theres the bloody Seanchan, with black royalty who doesnt give a shit about your skincolour, only that you are a brainwashed fanatic in service to the Empress, may she live for ever.
>>
>>46981236
Duh. Rand is foreign. Aielborn is half of his spiel.
>>
Mat best boy, and best fate.
Min best girl of the main harem, pity Rand got split between the horrible frenchman and muscled brown sub
>>
>>46981257
I meant as in of a nationality they're not described as being visually similar to. Like having Perrin be an aboriginal man.
>>
>>46981272
Min was nice, I always liked princess blondie more then the overly passive "muh luv" prophet
>>
>>46981288
That's some giganormous straw man you're pushing through the thread there, cowered-flyover-Jesus.

Let them make their show, THEN spew your race hate. It doesn't work preemptively.
>>
>>46981302
Really? I found the princess to be rather dull.
>>
>>46975101
>SJWs will be triggered by all the separate but equal stuff and women being submissive stuff
>MRAs will be triggered by all the matriarchal societies and women being dominate stuff

it will be absolutely beautiful
>>
>>46976023
Technically, the world where they walk around in is basically "Arthurian England + Katanas"
>>
>>46981342
I liked the fact that she was, essentially, a rather spoiled brat. Did rash stuff all the time becase "Its ok, I have a bodyguard/Magic/prophesy/an army so nothing bad could ever happen to me!" and then promptly gets kidnapped and gets half of her remaining army killed for her own stupidity... And then she goes right back to it.
Not to mention being so far removed from the common man that basically all she knew was "They swear" and "I should prevent starvation"
>>
I can't see it turning out well. WoT is too big for a TV series, unless they have an enormous budget it's going to seem like a cheap imitation. Plus, the modern political scene really isn't going to react well if they adapt it 1:1 so it's probably going to be equal parts censored and bowdlerized. I like the series despite its flaws, but it really isn't something that adapts well, and I don't want to see it butchered.
>>
>>46981382
>filename
Hilarious and kinda accurate.

>>46981389
Off the top of my head I can't remember one character in WoT who wasn't some degree of pants-on-head stupid.
>>
>>46981444
I don't think Lan ever does anything particularly stupid. He was regularly suicidal, but he was self aware about it.
Then again marrying Nynaeve could be considered pants on head.
>>
>>46972858
Can someone make me a tl;dr about it so I can decide if it will be worth watching or not? I like the blind guardian song, but I've heard bad opinions about the book series.
>>
>>46981479
It's a fun 80's Fantasy Harem anime in book form that gets kind of bad in the middle on account of the author slowly dying, but then comes back for a great finish under a replacement author. It's not Lord of the Rings, it's just a fun series. YMMV.
>>
>>46981479
The series is great. But it's too complex to summarize. It's classic messiah fantasy with high magic and very few nonhumans (2 races, one is twisted humans with animal parts, the other is giant ogiers).

There are quality problems making up a huge part at the center of the series where it goes nowhere and steps in place while developing ever more same-samey irrelevant characters. It's basically /tg/ worldbuilding. But then Saunderson comes in to save the day.

The meme is wimmenz!-manz! And it does weigh the books down. But it's fine. Jordan had a very limited view of gender roles and used that to polarize the entire story. If that bugs you then read something else.
>>
File: Nynaeve.jpg (36 KB, 384x480) Image search: [Google]
Nynaeve.jpg
36 KB, 384x480
>>46981444
Moiraine, while not always right, never really did anything particular stupid. Tam and Thom were pretty intelligent from memory. That's about the extent of my list at a glance.

Also Mat is pants on head smart

>>46981467
Eh Nynaeve is alright. She can be a colossal bitch at times (in fact, it's practically a default setting), but that's mainly because everyone treats her like shit most of the time. And considering she goes complete dere dere with Lan, he actually got a pretty good deal
>>
>>46981515
the ghost-written books are absolute crap tho, with a few exceptions (Moghedin actually doing something for one).
>>
>>46981479
3 boys get kidnapped by a Sorcerer, who has Aragon as a body guard.
The 3 boys are "important people" which means the world do revolve around them. Which just means they stumble upon artifacts, abominations, and plot points.
Lots of politics, harem and lots of weird shit later, they somehow manage to defeat the big baddy for this cycle.
>>
I love the Wheel of Time series, legitimately enjoyed every book. Here's hoping they don't fuck the TV series up.
>>
>>46981403

We all know that, Anon. Personally, I expect it to be worse than the Sword of Truth show. But the potential for multi spectrum butthurt is just so enticing.
>>
>>46981632
oh cmon, it cant be worse then that.
Those books where steaming piles of shit from the getgo. WoT is a pretty good read.

>>46981571
You mean nothing stupid besides the actual conspiracy to cover up the chosen one and rather then telling people "Hey, you know. Chosen one!" She, Siuan and a few others who got murdered simply decided to make the world bow to them, because Aes sedai knows better.
>>
>>46972858
Honestly I couldn't get past the sixth book. The female characters are fucking awful. Nynaeve and her braid tugging. Ugh.
>>
>>46981674
because annocining to the world you've found the chosen one is going to result in most of them (especially the Red Ajah) going FALSE DRAGON and then stilling his stupid ass. Yours to for thinking a false dragon is the chosen one.

There plan actually made sense; keep Rand hidden until he had done enough shit to unquestionably prove that he is the real deal, and that he has enough of a power base that the Reds cant just walk in and still him
>>
>>46981674
That plan worked great for Logain. The plan is at least a response to a known failure mode.
>>
>>46981674
As far as most of the world was aware, the Dragon was literally the Devil, not the chosen one, and he would herald the end of the world. Announcing it would be very, very stupid.
>>
>>46974618
Just have Sanderson do it.
>>
I'm hype.
>>
>>46981780
That wouldn't work. Sanderson is a Mormon who is heavily against degeneracy such as unwed couples holding hands. You can't put him in charge of a fantasy Harem, it would go nowhere.
>>
>>46981797
To be fair, so are the characters. except Mat.

*tugs braid* "Marriage before kissing!"
>>
>>46981797
The most suppressed pervs write the dirtiest symbolism. Isn't that what TV writing is all about?
>>
>>46981838
Not really. Rand literally considers that he probably couldn't have stopped Aviendha jumping his bones if he'd wanted to, Elayne was hungry for cock from the moment she laid eyes on him and Min is horny basically 100% of the time. Moiraine even considered sleeping with Rand to get him to do what he had to, but the things she saw in Ruidean convinced her not to.

Only really Nynaeve and to a lesser extent, Egwene are prudes. And Pippin, anyway.
>>
>>46981880
Oh yea, I agree with you. At the same time they do basically go around trying to suppress said urges because its not proper. Until its ok.

And ofcourse Moiraine would consider sleeping with him, she's Cairhien iirc...Those people are freaks, everyone knows that. (Also a double-manipulative cunt for being a Blue Cairhien)
>>
File: Ba'alzamon.jpg (16 KB, 250x340) Image search: [Google]
Ba'alzamon.jpg
16 KB, 250x340
So who's gonna play pic related?
>>
>>46981949
Probably the same guy who does Ishamael, since its the same person.
>>
Who is the red head in homeland? If he bulks up, he would make a perfect rand.
>>
File: tuon.jpg (661 KB, 680x850) Image search: [Google]
tuon.jpg
661 KB, 680x850
>>46981797
He was more explicit than Jordan.
>>
>>46982032
She has hair!? Who the fuck made that?
>>
>>46982049
Some hack who did poor research.
It's not how I'd picture her.
She's more black Chinese, less jungle fever.
>>
>>46982049
She grows some hair after Mat kidnaps her, but she shaves it off again once she's picked up by her Deathwatch Guards.

the Seanchan were kinda neat. Everything else is a mix of European and Japanese, then suddenly the Han Dynasty comes out of nowhere and starts fucking shit up.
>>
>>46982072
yea, not bald, obviously has tits.
Its not Tuon.
>>
File: Massimo-DAlema.jpg (21 KB, 450x322) Image search: [Google]
Massimo-DAlema.jpg
21 KB, 450x322
>>46982075
>mfw they have texan accents
>>
>>46981467
>Then again marrying Nynaeve could be considered pants on head.
This is correct.

>>46981571
>Moiraine
She was a manipulative "good guy" character done right. It would have been nice if she had stuck around longer, but her arc was the most satisfying in the series.
>>
>>46982102
they had Chinese accents but I can see how you would get that confused.
>>
File: Tuon?.jpg (30 KB, 385x574) Image search: [Google]
Tuon?.jpg
30 KB, 385x574
>>46982032
>>
>>46982128
no, they had Texan accents. It was confirmed in an interview with RJ. It's why its referred to as a "drawl" in book.
>>
>>46982146
Huh. Well. Okay that's just weird.
>>
>>46982176
yeah, RJ liked to mix and match cultures a lot. Andor is about the only one based on a single culture (England)
>>
File: 1413362913085.jpg (12 KB, 380x405) Image search: [Google]
1413362913085.jpg
12 KB, 380x405
>>46982220
Thinking back this would make every interaction between Bayle Domon and Egeanin into some sort of comedy sketch.
>>
>>46982117
Moraine, and logaine both had the best arcs IMO.

Alternatively the entirety of the ashaman.

I can't wait for "kneel, or you will be knelt" to be put to screen. The sjw butthurt will be delicious.
>>
>>46981048
I don't remember which book it was brought up in but Ishmael/Moridin mentions at some point how he was occasionally freed because they did a shit job sealing him and he'd fucked with history causing disasters numerous times, including the Trolloc wars and brainwashing Hawking so he had no chance of creating a lasting empire.

>>46981220
The A'dam were made from day one to control women. They just put men to death.

>>46981272
>not wanting a chocolate musclegirl to dominate
shit taste desu

>>46981389
Yeah Elayne was lucky she had fate on her side or she would've been dead numerous times over. I liked her in the early books but shit got old because she never fucking learns.

>>46981557
Some of us like the parts that seem to go nowhere, though. My favorite books are the ones where the various factions plan to fuck each other over and a few characters run around trying to stop everyone from killing each other so they actually have a chance of winning when the apocalypse rolls around. I know that's not to everyone's taste, though.

>>46981571
Nynaeve probably has the best arc of any character in the series. By the end she's one of the most mature, levelheaded characters.

>>46981586
I agree that the Sanderson books are mostly crap, except for the bits that were obviously written by Jordan, but it's not really ghostwriting when they credit the writer on the cover.

>>46981797
Pretty sure Jordan himself was fairly conservative, lesbian bondage stuff aside.
>>
>>46972858
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103674399065634804648/posts/1aeEKJiqdeF
>linking clickbait
>>
>>46982220
It makes sense when you remember that our world is one of the ages of the wheel, and the Seanchan Empire is founded from the ashes of the post-apocalyptic Americas. It's also why they arr the only multi-ethnic culture in the series.
>>
>>46972858
>GoT: 5 years to make tv show out of five books
>Fans complain about cut characters, simplified storylines etc.

>WoT: 14 fucking books. 14. Even bigger cast of characters.

Well they better do a really fucking good job of it or it's guaranteed to get cancelled before they've gotten anywhere.
>>
>>46982555
The bigger problem is the actors. By the end of the series you "20 year olds" would be pushing 40.
>>
>>46982555
Lets not forget the absolute clusterfuck that is the main plot, the innumerable subplots (some of which lead to nowhere) and the general amount of shit that has to be explained (Why are the borderlanders a big deal, why does Tear and Illian (and or Cairhien) hate each others guts, what do the children of the light do, not to mention giving the Forsaken actual personalities (because I honestly remember Ishamael, Graendal, Semirhage and Lanfear as distinct personalities...Also horny genderbent resurrected guy, Aran'gar?)

Also the fact that, like everyone has already said, with todays gender-politics it will create a shitstorm like the world has never seen. Its either going to be awful, or fantastic...Dont think they can pull off anything in between.
>>
>>46982657
I'm just imagining all the confusion online about how balefire works once it's introduced.
>>
>>46982890
>>46982657
They can explain that stuff pretty easily through exposition. Hell, most of it is given as exposition through dialog in the books.
>>
>>46982946
Moiraine explains it to Rand in plain language while they're in Ruidean. It's one of the few things she ever actually spoke straight about.
>>
>>46982890
like most timetravel, it isn't even internally consistent.
>>
>>46983150
It's not?
>>
What are the mechanics of the tabletop RPG like? Is channeling handled in an interesting way, or does it just end up feeling like typical fantasy magic?
>>
>>46983977
its d20, so the usual stuff if i recall.
Channeling uses the old dnd "spells per day" but then expands on it so you can do more at a risk. Including death if you want to do crazy. Never played it though.
>>
>>46983977
It's 3.5 (or maybe 3.0) based, but the spellcasting system is overhauled a bit. It's still too Vacian for my tastes, especially since the spellcasting mechanics in WoT are some of the most interesting I've seen.

I thought about making a homebrew WoT system once upon a time, but I sort of gave up on it. A system that's true to the book should account for things like channeling strength, which varied wildly by character, skill with the 5 elements, rote and spontaneous weaves, channeler duels with a concentration mechanic, and over-channeling with the consequences ranging from a headache to death.
>>
>>46984171
>Vacian
Not the worst magic system, but its up there. It'd make zero sense for WoT style magic, though.
>>
>>46984171
Yeah, using something like Ars Magica or Mage as a base would make more sense than Vancian casting for a WoT RPG.
>>
>>46984382
When I started working on this years ago with a friend, oWoD Mage was exactly what we wanted to base it on.
>>
I've never read Wheel of Time, is it any good? I tend to stay away from high fantasy genre fiction because most of it is cheesy/bad, with obvious exceptions like LotR. I like darker, grittier, low-fantasy settings. Is it like that?
>>
>>46984438
It's fun and there's a lot of material, so it'll keep you occupied for a while. It won't change your life, but if you're jonesing for something new then you could do a lot worse.

Looking at you Sword of Objectivism
>>
>>46984438
starts out pretty low fantasy with some evil creatures running about. Ends with a massive battle involving A LOT of mage-types, ancient evils, and time shenanigans. Builds up to the high fantasy, i think.
>>
>>46982329
>The A'dam were made from day one to control women. They just put men to death.

There were prototype A'dam made to control male channelers during the Breaking. In fact, it became Chekov's gun for Rand's slow descend into madness.
>>
>>46984515
Right, but the Seanchan A'dam was invented independently of that as far as I can remember.
>>
>>46972858
I fear they would have to go Fellowship of the Ring on it and have to cut so much stuff out. Regardless of what people think of the series devolved into, Eye of the World was fucking awesome. And would love to see a recreation of it on the small or big screen.
>>
File: selene.jpg (100 KB, 611x768) Image search: [Google]
selene.jpg
100 KB, 611x768
>>46982139
Where in the world do you get good, fertile soil of that color?

>>46982220
Yeah, where some do not-romans, not-chiense, and so on, Jordan just threw everything in the blender, getting himself a nice mix of shit that had no reason being together.

>>46982443
It doesn't make sense. From our time to the pre-breaking period we have an unknown, but presumably immense gulf of time. In at least the last few centuries there we have the "Aes Sedai culture" dominating the world, overwriting whatever was before.

Then shit hits the fan, the world breaks, continents move about, all that stuff. Only at some point after that, possibly a very long time, does the seanchan emerge. Yeah, they're in the west now, but with that whole dancing plate tectonics bit, their land might currently be Antarctica. Or pacific seafloor.

I'm quite fond of the series overall, but let's not pretend Jordan's cultural mix-n-match was anything that makes sense. He just grabbed quirks and details and glued them together more or less on random.
>>
>>46984438
While it breaks a number of genre conventions and takes influence from a lot of sources foreign to Western fantasy, WoT is abaolutely high fantasy as fuck and is at its core about a Jesus/Athur figure fighting the Devil personally.
>>
>>46984591
>I fear they would have to go Fellowship of the Ring on it and have to cut so much stuff out.

Things would probably have been even better if Jordan's editor had insisted on him doing just that. Maybe toss three to five books worth of chaff...

But I wouldn't expect a TV production to do it in a good way, no.
>>
File: magicmufu.gif (4 MB, 457x250) Image search: [Google]
magicmufu.gif
4 MB, 457x250
I feel like there are a lot of scenes that really wouldn't be possible to do in a visual medium. Mostly stuff involving the Power.

Like, remember when Nynaeve and Moghedien encounter each other in that museum, and they start saidar-wrestling, each one using half her power to hold the other one off while using the other half to try cut the other one off, and they're perfectly balanced against each other? One of the things about the scene that was specifically called out was that if any ordinary person walked into the room they would just see two women grimacing at each other from across the floor, while to any woman in the city who can channel it was so crazy huge they didn't even need to see what was happening to go "oh shit".

Being a channeler basically gives you another sense purely for "feeling" other channeling, in addition to being able to see the weaves being made if you're looking at them, and that sort of thing can be described in text but it seems like it wouldn't work on tv or film?
>>
File: reddish stone rod.jpg (12 KB, 355x327) Image search: [Google]
reddish stone rod.jpg
12 KB, 355x327
>>
>>46984714
The show could make it clear that only channelers can see weaves, showing the weaves when channelers are the focus of a scene and not showing them when the scene is from the "perspective" of a non-channeler.
>>
>>46984655
>Lanfear
Eh, not bad but I prefer Graendal. At least I preferred her before she got uglied up.
>>
>>46984438
It's like LotR but with expanded races, politics, and magic system. It definitely suffers from Deus ex machina by the way of people traversing space and time and sudden mass death magic and shit of that nature.
>>
>>46984763
Fools. Obviously Aran'Gar is best girl, at least among the Forsaken.
>>
>>46984438

I think the high fantasy elements in themselves don't really get cheesy/bad, because compared to other high fantasy, Wheel of Time has a very solid magic system with really hard rules and limitations. You don't get to understand them until later but the rules are there from the beginning.
>>
>>46984438
I'd recommend checking out The Eye of the World and see if you like it. At the very least, the first three books are quite good. The later books get into the politics of the world, introduce a staggering number of subplots and new characters, and generally move a lot slower. The last three books by Sanderson are paced much better as they quickly (and rather bluntly) end most of the subplots, but as someone who was a fan of the complex web of intrigue throughout the series, Sanderson's writing just came across as clumsy. He never really got the hang of most of the characters' voices and he completely butchered a few of the characters, as well (Cadsuane comes immediately to mind).

Reading the series from start to finish now would be a very different experience than what I went through; half the fun was picking apart the details in each book on fansites trying to guess what was going to happen next. The books do an amazing job of foreshadowing what is going to come next, if you know what to look for. Little details present as far back as book 1 come back into play way down the line, and one-off lines from the characters' inner monologues can foreshadow huge events.
>>
>>46975101

No, no. Here's the best part.

At the very beginning of the series, only women can use magic. BUT it turns out that MEN are stronger in using the One Power.

The savior of all is a man who has a harem of like four women.
>>
>>46981970

Ishamael should be Christian Bale.
>>
>>46985071
Men are stronger, but women weave more deftly, and the strongest woman is generally an equal match for the strongest man assuming they know what they're doing. Men are also gimped in that they can't form circles without women.
>>
>>46985142

They're really not. In every fight where a male channeler is involved, the women are literally shitting themselves in terror.
>>
>>46985174
Most of the fights with a male channeler versus a female channeler involve forsaken, and it's not really fair to judge channeling strength against people who have hundreds of years of experience fighting an apocalyptic war a
>>
>>46985224
Fucking laptop.

And who had access to channeling techniques modern channelers couldn't even dream of.
>>
>>46985142

It's not so much that women weave more deftly, but just that the weaker channelers generally put more effort into gaining skill to compensate for their weakness. It applies equally to the weaker men, like Androl, and to women against stronger women, like Leane notes at one point.

Men vs. women contests are almost never going to come down to raw strength anyway, because they can't see what each other is doing. The first one to do something that the other one doesn't see coming is the winner. Even if that wasn't the case, it's made clear that even weak channelers can "slash" a stronger weave to make it come apart if they're ready for it.
>>
>>46985174
That's because male channelers are the stuff of every cultures nightmares and horror stories, and have been for three thousand years. People who interact with male channelers and then go on to fight them treat it like it ain't no thang by the end of the series.

It's like if Jackie Chan was terrified of Jason movies. And then Jason comes to life and challenges him to a fight.

Anyways, canonically, women tend to be able to channel less of the power, but they also tend to have more skill weaving it.
>>
>>46985224
the forseken women shit themself when facing male forseken too. When they capture the false dragons, they require circles, even when parts of those are casters like lady K. When Rand is just starting to cast, and is not yet in full dragon mode, he is asked by the two girls[who are suppose to be one of the most powerful casters in history] to chanel and he beats them easily. One of them even says she felt like a kiten.
>>
>>46972858
Remember the Chronicles of Shannara?
Remember how good that was?
jk it killed all faith I have in fantasy TV.
>>
>>46985174
>In every fight where a male channeler is involved, the women are literally shitting themselves in terror.

Well, for one, women grew up on tales of male channelers being madmen with powers of mass destruction. Go on for three thousand years, plus with the loss of knowledge of channeling from pants-on-head-stupidity-pissing contests between Ajah, of course they would be shitting in their dresses.
>>
File: VLADDY THE IMPLIER.jpg (29 KB, 339x360) Image search: [Google]
VLADDY THE IMPLIER.jpg
29 KB, 339x360
>>46985335
>Implying Shannara was good in the first place
>>
>>46985377
But the forsaken women say the same things, about male chanelers. That males were almost always more powerful.
>>
>>46981571
>Eh Nynaeve is alright. She can be a colossal bitch at times (in fact, it's practically a default setting), but that's mainly because everyone treats her like shit most of the time.

Nynaeve is probably the best female charater in the series.

She starts out as a massive arrogant bitch, gets shit on by dozens of people and comes out of it with a measure of humility that blunts her nastier personality traits.

Then from WH onwards she's a fucking rock to Rand.

She remains a no-nonesense bitch throughout, but once she's gone through her humilating experiences mid-series she's much better at directing her attitude to the people who deserve it
>>
>>46985333
Egwene and Elayne (I think that's who was in that scene) are both powerful, IIRC slightly stronger than Moraine, but hardly at the peak for women. Nynaeve is stronger and she isn't even the strongest woman in the books. And while we don't get a lot of comparisons between male channelers, I don't think Rand ever encounters someone stronger than he is, which means he's probably close to or at the strongest possible male strength. There's a whole tier list fans threw together based on comparisons from female channelers somewhere, according to Jordan there are something like 20 levels for women strength and another 5 for men and it's based on that.
>>
>>46985411
DESU, they were facing off against Lews Therin the Mad king mode version. Not Rand al'Thor the Shepard version.
>>
>>46985409
First three books were good, if cliche.
Then it started to focus on the "post apocalypse" aspect and it started to go downhill.
Still leagues above the shlock that MTV aired.
>>
>>46985427
Egwene is a massive cunthead who stabs her childhood friend in the back just to serve a corrupt institution that failed in every meaningful way to prevent the slow decline of every nation below the Borderlands.
>>
Will they have 10 minute scenes where characters stare at things while their internal monologue describes it in excruciating detail?
>>
>>46985432
They were afraid of the male forsaken. That those were so much more powerful then them, The fact that neither side could feel each other chaneling didn't help either. Remember that meting the forsaken had around book 5-6. When both women go ready with weaves, if shit was suppose to go down at any second and the dudes just chill most of the time. And even if the forsaken were special. The ajha still needed at least a full circel for every false dragon that could chanel. And even then they sent more everytime and sister did die durning captures. If the power was more or less the same, one or two would be enough. And not two or three full circles.
>>
>>46985496
Expect lots of braid pulling and sniffs.
>>
>>46985481
Well, yeah, I'm not defending her. Egwene's arrogance is largely undeserved and she certainly should have grown up more before the rebellion plot ended.
>>
>>46979279
Also as close to unequivocal bad guys as a human faction gets
>>
>>46972858
Admittedly I'm not that familiar with the source material, but there are red flags in all the articles I've seen. There's a pretty good chance this will be an 'in name only' short-lived cash grab.

The biggest one is that no one mentions a major network, rather using the term 'Studio'. This usually means a show will be slapped together on a shoe-string budget and then shopped around to multiple low-end cable channels for late-night filler or off season throwaway content. Kind of like the 'pilot' already produced. Fights over rights tend to sour the big boys on even looking at the property.

Considering how early in the game this is, and the lack of reading there is to do on it, I could be wrong. But look at how GoT was handled from the start and you'll see the difference that I'm talking about.
>>
>>46985335
I was beginning to think I was the only one watching that cluster fuck
>>
>>46972858
Can't wait till we get the inevitable videogames and RPGs
>>
>>46985427

If you buy the wheel of time companion, which is basically a compilation of all of jordan's notes put out by his editor, you find out that there was a for real power levels system with ranks for every named channeling character.

It's really convoluted with different ratings for men and women, and weird quasi-numerical stuff with Rand being something like rank 1+++ and Logain being a mere rank 1++ and stuff like that.
>>
>>46985810
I haven't read through the companion but when I looked into it on the fansites the consensus was that it was thrown together from every single thought Jordan ever wrote down whether he actually decided to use them or not, and as a result it conflicts with things established in the books in a lot of cases.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/02/saidar-strength-ranking.html
I like this list better because it was put together based on comparisons made in the text itself.
>>
>>46985335
>Shannara
You mean Chronicles of LotR in PNW Post-Apoc Magic Washington? Yeah, that was such a rich property to draw on.
>>
>>46985481
>Egwene is a massive cunthead
True

>who stabs her childhood friend in the back
Less true.

She never really betrayed Rand, she just defaulted into thinking the White Tower was more important than it actually was.

Because she couldn't see things from his perspective, she never really understood where he was coming from or what he was going through and couldn't get it into her thick head that the White Tower was never Rand's ally and his treatment of them was perfectly justified.

I remember getting genuinely angry when Egwene compared a situation she was in to Rand's time in the box, and while there was a vague similarity, the scale was so different I was disgusted with her for even thinking their difficulties were on the same level.
>>
>>46985809
This
>>
>>46984677
Rand isn't Jesus. He's the Saoshyant/Rama
>>
So how do we make a magic system for an RPG that is at the same time as rigidly defined as WoT's, and as freeform?
>>
>>46985523
>If the power was more or less the same, one or two would be enough. And not two or three full circles.

This. And that was against men with no actual training. They also had a lot of misconceptions due to time a lot of their bias was due to being trained professionals hunting down individual amateurs. Like men being equal to women in the power, men don't know how to tie a eave/line-of-sight weakness, there couldn't possibly be so many channelers in the Black Tower, it takes years to learn and grow in the Power.
>>
>>46986451
Make spells made up of smaller weaves with their own casting cost and time. So a lightning bolt is three weave patterns and takes half a round all together. Something like that.
>>
Never read the series, but if I understand this thread right, it has even more characters than aSoIaF, is longer, much more epic in scope, the magic is difficult to translate onscreen...

Wouldn't that need an insane budget?
>>
File: fit.jpg (167 KB, 500x618) Image search: [Google]
fit.jpg
167 KB, 500x618
>>46986536
Just make it Anime, it already has the bumbling harem protagonist and abounds with terrible waifus
>>
>>46986451
Here's a few rough ideas of where I'd at least start for systemizing WoT's magic.

Some kind of point mechanic for the amount of the one power you can draw into yourself, with the cap based on your channeling strength. You can spend those points on various weaves, with a varying cost based on the complexity, with multiple weaves costing an increasing number of points each. Fatigue would have to factor in too, maybe based on a roll with the difficulty set by the amount of power you're spending. Angreals just add more points to your cap.

Then each channeler has different skills in the five individual powers, and that limits what they can do with those powers. Maybe specific weaves require certain levels in each power, or maybe if you have a certain level you can do the weave automatically but otherwise you have to roll.

Actually using your weave against another channeler would be skill-based and probably where the dice should come in.
>>
>>46986536
The magic isn't too difficult to translate on screen. most of it's all very flashy: making fire out of nothing, throwing up earth in explosions, creating portals to asia/dream worlds/alternate dimensions, etc.

Scope wise, it's bigger than aSoIaF, but it's also told through fewer characters, meaning less sets are needed. For the most part, the story follows 1 plot, then three, then 5 or so, and all the supporting scenes outside of the five biggest viewpoint characters could be consolidated or removed.

That being said, I hope its budget rivals the department of defense, because I love this series, even with its flaws.
>>
File: LOC_Ebook_panoramic.png (2 MB, 1685x576) Image search: [Google]
LOC_Ebook_panoramic.png
2 MB, 1685x576
>tfw you may live to see dumai's wells and its aftermath put to screen
>>
>>46986536
The comic is actually pretty good from what I remember.
>>
>>46986394
Rand is an amalgam of numerous mythological figures, and Jesus is definitely one of them. He has fucking stigmata.
The Hindu themes are definitely present, too, but do not exclude the messianic ones.
>>
File: 1447143993337.jpg (14 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
1447143993337.jpg
14 KB, 229x220
>>46986728
>>
>>46986451
Similar systems already exist in Mage the Awakening/Ascension or Ars Magica.

First off you want a skill rating in each of the Five Powers. Possibly you should have another set of skills that factor into your rolls and allow for more specialisation - perhaps broad areas of competency like "combat channeling", "persistent weaves", "senses" or maybe their sub-categories of the powers like the solid-air telekinesis that a lot of Aes Sedai are fond of.

Anyway, however you assemble your bonus or dice pool, you get to use your maximum power on those spells you've spent some time or xp in learning, but you can attempt any weave you've seen performed once at reduced effectiveness, and your target number is based on the weave's complexity so for higher-level effects you have to make a proper study to have a chance of using them effectively.
>>
>>46984515
>slow descent

Anon, he was mad long before he had that thing put on him.
>>
>>46981200
>"Oh, and that dress you're wearing is green."
>>
>>46987536
>First off you want a skill rating in each of the Five Powers. Possibly you should have another set of skills that factor into your rolls and allow for more specialisation

Reflecting on this, and remembering how things worked in the books, your basic roll should be Channeler Level + Skill with specific Power (use lowest if multiple apply). So essentially the system from Mage.

You buy your channeler level at character creation and can;t change it, but you advance your skill in each of the five powers gradually. I remember now the amount of natural talent you have is a big deal, and Nynaeve always had the power to clown on experienced Aes Sedai.
>>
>>46981200
Verin, Egwene (11th book onwards), Moraine, and Suane were all based as fuck.
>>
>>46981571
>And considering she goes complete dere dere with Lan, he actually got a pretty good deal
Well, there was that marriage ceremony.

Each of them had to swear that one would obey the other, and they could choose between public or private. So Lan obeys Nynaeve whenever they're in public, but in private she has to obey him in whatever he asks.

Turned out not so bad, in the end.
>>
>>46981479
Reincarnations of Jesus, Odin and Thor get found by female Gandalf and go on adventures to save the world from Satan.
>>
>>46987635
>>46987641
Oh, and of course nynaeve too.
>>
>>46987631
Channelers start out weak and don't reach their full potential until they've had a year to a few years of training. Maybe you can buy your maximum power and current power separately. Having a higher maximum but a lower starting value, or just starting completely untrained, would be cheaper than just starting out as a fully capable channeler, and maybe you could buy your channeling strength up to the maximum with GM approval as you go.
>>
>>46982307
>Asha'man, raise the barrier two spans!
>Asha'man, kill!
>>
>>46976518
>>46976521
They're a flawed institution with a ton of enemies, not least because they're trying to run the world, and the books depict a time of upheaval where their way of doing things is increasingly irrelevant, but the fact is they're an all-female group with a ton of power and agency in the story, and as many sympathetic characters as villains. And most often when they're portrayed as stupid bitches it's to provide antagonists to the plucky heroines who want to climb the tower hierarchy and reform it.
>>
>>46987697
Most of the weakness of channelers is not that they can't channel their full potential of power, but more that they don't know how to use what they've got.

maybe the best system would feature mana burn:

You have mana you can channel, and then use to cast spells. Any mana left over at the end of the turn would hurt the caster.
>>
>>46979279
lol, sure, these lesbian dommes certainly aren't in the story to titillate its male readership
>>
>>46985142
>and the strongest woman is generally an equal match for the strongest man assuming they know what they're doing
Not really. Egwene and Elayne were both quite powerful, for example, and a barely-trying Rand absolutely manhandled them. That was before he got any training. Nynaeve is Forsaken-tier strength among women, and she can be slapped around easily by Logain, who is more or less a male equivalent in Forsaken-tier strength. Like when she heals him and returns his ability to channel, and she can FEEL him testing the shield strength. They both know he could bust it wide open if he felt like it, and later on, he needs a minimum of six women all linked just to contain him.

The strength level isn't really comparable. As Asmodean said, while it's true that some women can be stronger in the Power than men, generally it will run in the other direction.
>>
>>46987631
>>46987697
A full fledged WoT system would also need to have some kind of fate point mechanic, since ta'veren and the wheel controlling your destiny were a big theme of the books. Rand survives a few assassination attempts just because the attacker just happened to miss or some other event distracted them, for example.

>>46987739
I was thinking of a point system. You can channel x points based on your strength by default, can generate more with a roll, and if you go too high you suffer negative consequences, potentially burning out or killing yourself, or if you're powerful enough blowing up an entire city or creating a huge mountain or whatever. Then you can spend points on individual weaves. Simple things like shields are cheap but their effect requires you to continuously invest points to maintain them, more complicated weaves like gates require more points than weaker channelers can produce. Multiple weaves cost an increasing amount.
>>
>>46985523
Men can also sense when women are channeling, which gives them that split-second advantage.
>>
>>46987821
You'd also need a functionally unlimited point system, because anyone can try to draw nuclear levels of the power if they're feeling suicidal or crazy.
>>
>>46987851
At some point they burn out or are just overwhelmed from the power and explode. It's probable that only very powerful channelers can gather enough power to cause massive damage before they die. Lews Therin did it, as well as an aes'sedai during the Trolloc wars, but there were no other mentions of that happening that I can remember.

I'd say, you can roll to gather more power but once you hit the over-channel threshold for your strength, you have to make a "shock" roll at an increasing difficulty every time or something, and if you fail that you roll on a shock table. Lower results are things like falling unconscious or getting a headache, then stuff like burning out, and finally death or a violent explosion.
>>
>>46987851
Not really, past a certain threshold they'll burn out if they even try to channel that much of the Power.

You would need a system that scales well above even the strongest individual (Rand), though, thanks to the existence of angreal and sa'angreal (though they have built-in safeguards against drawing too much, except for Callandor).
>>
>>46987851
not really, everyone has a cap on how much they can take in, going above that becomes painful, which if you keep pushing ends in death/burning out
>>
>>46987904
And then they get their hands on one of the two Big Guns, those giant statue power boosters. Which is so much power that just accessing it makes literally every channeler in the world sense you doing something.
>>
>>46987933
>>46987933
Also, enough power to almost certainly kill the Dark One.
>>
>>46987908
Well I wouldn't want the numbers to get too large, maybe something like 2-3 points for very simple weaves, 5-10 points for most common weaves like a fireball or whatever, and very difficult weaves like creating a gate or balefire being 15-20. An angreal just adds a flat amount to the number of points you can channel, so even big things like the Choeden Kal are easy to systemize and can be rated. Just to throw out some numbers off the top of my head, a normal angreal gives maybe +5 or so, sa'angreals can give +10 or more, Callandor gives +30, the Choeden Kal give +100.
>>
>>46987953
No, I think it's mentioned that even those wouldn't be enough to actually kill him, to say nothing of how terrible things would get if somebody actually did it. It's why Rand only imprisoned him, and why he had to do it using both of the big ones, but coated it in the True Power first (since wielding them directly against him would just taint them).
>>
>>46987953
Yeah, but doing that would also probably destroy the world. Rand even contemplates doing it in the last book (one of the few scenes from that book I actually remember liking), and it wouldn't turn out well even if he could.
>>
>>46987976
IIRC it was made explicit that angreal *multiply* the amount of power you can safely draw on. They're always more effective in the hands of stronger channelers.
>>
>>46988011
Rand only used callandor to imprison the Dark One. He used the two big ones to cleanse saidin, and doing so melted the male half. I can't remember if the female half survived. But neither were present for the sealing of the dark one.

Also, during the sealing, Rand could have killed him. Both acknowledged it was possible to each other, and even considered what would happen if he did.
>>
>>46988038
I'd have to check, but if that's the case, I guess they could apply a multiplier instead.
>>
>>46987953
When they were designed, their use was planned to create a giant wall of the One Power and seal the corrupted land in. Lews Therin thought that was admitting defeat, and the rest is history.
>>
>>46988072
IIRC, the project started before the War of Power: it was just them trying to create the theoretically largest amplifier ever. their original purpose was the same reason the Bore happened: science.
>>
>>46988038
>>46987976
There's a minimum level of power required to use some angreal and sa'angreal, too. At least the Choedan Kal have one.

>>46988094
Wasn't it implied that the Bore was deliberate? I remember one of the dream-visions Rand had in Rhuidean was of one of his ancestors, who was in service to Lanfear. She'd been going on about her big plan to "obtain a new source of the One Power" and was doing it that very day. He actually saw the Bore happen through his ancestor's eyes.

Implication being that Lanfear had been seeking out the Dark One before she openly switched sides. Fuck, she was the one who opened the Bore in the first place.
>>
>>46988128
yea, the reason the dark one can muck about with the world is basically this.

"Huh, I'm bored. We've scienced all the magic we can. Lets drill a hole through reality and see if we can use whats on the other side to do some more magic!"
>>
>>46988128
They had detected the true power, and were trying to bore into it, so they could have a universal source. Lanfear might have known what it actually was, or could have been innocent, but most of the scientists thought it would be a world changing event that lead to a new generation of peace and prosperity or something.
>>
>>46988128
Her intention was what she said it was: to seek out a new source of power men and women could use together, rather than be split among gender lines. That would allow them to accomplish even greater miracles since they'd be working from the same power source. She didn't become evil until after the dark one's prison was breached. By Lews Therin's account she was a massive bitch, though.
>>
>>46988154
To be fair, they'd been drilling holes through reality for a while, that's how men Travel. Also things outside reality like those box-things people used for science and Moghedien was stuck in for a while as punishment.
>>
>>46988168
She really was a massive bitch, a classic gold digger who thought she was entitled to the most powerful/respected boyfriend in the world, who that person is, what he thinks or feels is unimportant. She is the most beautiful so she deserves the best...

And when he dumped her for literally not giving a shit about anything but the name she ran crying to satan.
>>
>>46988184
Well, they had drilled a hole in two sides of reality to come out the other way, or to somewhere else...never to the other side of reality
>>
>>46988237
Well, that's Lews Therin's viewpoint of her, and he's not necessarily a reliable witness. Like so much of the first age, we don't really know what she was like.
>>
>>46988296
>first age
Second age, I mean.
>>
>>46988296
Well, considering that she decided that Rand is Lews Therin and thus she is entitled to his affections its not really outside of reason to assume he was pointing in the right direction
>>
>>46988326
That's after she became evil. It's sort of implied the dark one's influence was corrupting in a literal sense - it took good men and made them monsters. Semirhage is actually noted as an exception, she was a sociopath even before the bore. I think Ishmael was always a nihilist too. I'm not saying she wasn't a turbo bitch but it's not a certain thing. There was probably a lot of bad blood between the two of them, what with the apocalyptic war and everything.
>>
>>46982258
Those scenes might be the only ones I'm really looking forward to. A White Cajun and a dark skinned Asian with a Texan accent.
>>
>>46988363
Ishamael wasn't a nihilist per se. Elan Morin Tedronai was a highly-respected intellectual, he only turned to nihilism some time after the war began. It's implied that his research had led him to discover that he and Lews Therin would continually reincarnate for eternity to battle, and that he had, near the end of the war, begun unlocking memories and knowledge of past lives much as Rand was during the series.

All the other Forsaken thought he was a metaphysical rambler for it, but he was right all the same.
>>
>>46988434
And, incidentally, the nihilism came about because he didn't want to reincarnate, he wanted to die and STAY DEAD.
>>
>>46988434
The entirety of Rand's conflict with the Dark One in the last book basically was Rand working through Ishamael's philosophy and coming up with the answer that Ishamael couldn't.
>>
>>46988072
Actually, didn't they give up that option because the keys had been lost behind enemy lines for months or years?

Well, the men did, anyway
>>
>>46988486
It was kind of a "power too great for mortal hands" kind of thing. They didn't trust anyone to wield them.
>>
Question: I read all the books that were written by 2007 while I was deployed, and haven't looked at them since. I need to reread them if I want to finish the series, since I would be confused as fuck at this point. Anything I can skip?
>>
>>46988517
You can skip the 10th book, which is the worst in the series. It really picks up from there. 11 onwards are all great.
>>
>>46988517
NO SKIPPING PARTS, FAGGOT.
>>
File: wot_003.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wot_003.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>46985809
There is a pretty decent vidya from the 90s.

It revolves around a story years before the WoT plot. You're an Aes Sedai dodging Mashadar, killing trollocks, and conspiring with and against other sisters.

The levels are great for the time. Of course today it looks like empty vector piles. But it's still good. I think it was the Unreal engine. Multiplayer was great: a Quakelike shooter with really different weapons.

Weaving was not used as there's just no way to get it right. Instead the story had you blocked and using ter'angreal. You there's like 10 different spells that you need to collect charges for. And there were only one or two that straight up shot someone. There's traps, seekers, teleports, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitUEW2u5UY
>>
>>46988537
I like the 10th book
>>
>>46988537
But what about the earlier stuff? Anything I can skip there? I remember slogging through it, because it was deployment and what the fuck else am I going to do after beating my dick silly, but don't really recall much story detail.
>>
>>46988662
If you're rereading, you can probably skip most of 2, (read the beginning and end), skip most of 7 and 8.
>>
>>46988662
You can skip book1 thats about it.
>>
>>46988736
>>46988773
Thanks anons.
>>
>>46972858
Well I'm sure Rand will be black. Mat and Perrin will be genderswapped and lesbians.
>>
So, this is probably gonna be a poorly executed shitshow. If they only get one part of it right, what part would you want it to be?
>>
So what's your dreamcast? I'd like Paul Blackthorne for Thom and David Tennant for Demandred. Can't decide on anyone else.
>>
>>46988855
You know that one scene where the Forsaken are meeting at Graendal's mansion? That one.
>>
>>46988855
Pic related.

Put this shit on HBO, and the triggering would destroy tumblr.
>>
>>46982329
>I agree that the Sanderson books are mostly crap

Dude, the ghost-written books were everything from 5 onward that DOESN'T have Sanderson's name on it. You can actually see the authorial transition in book 5 as Jordan goes from banging out all the prose to handing over outlines.
>>
>>46988865
>Thom
>anyone but Sam Elliot

Okay, maybe get Tom Selleck back into shape, but Sam Elliot is pretty much THE choice.

>>46989004
No. Jordan did all the writing himself, the only difference is that his wife didn't reign him in as much.
>>
>>46989069
>the only difference is that his wife didn't reign him in as much.
Well, that and he was dealing with the death of family members and his own impending doom. You can see things start to slip around that time.
>>
>>46989004
Yeah, you're full of shit.

>>46989139
He wasn't diagnosed with amyloidosis until a year or so after book 11 came out, IIRC.
>>
>>46989188
>He wasn't diagnosed with amyloidosis until a year or so after book 11 came out, IIRC.
He didn't admit to it, but he danced around the question for years prior to that. He only announced it when he was spiraling.
>>
>>46985046
that sounds pretty cool, i'll check it out. thanks
>>
For making a magic system...

Magic is split into the One Power of the Creator: Saidin and Saidar, and the True Power of the Dark One.

Channelers have to embrace the source before casting. In that they determine how much of the source to wield. Other channelers can see and feel this, it's like drawing a loud gun. It is possible to cut off even powerful channelers if they haven't embraced the Source.

Once cut off the Source cannot be drawn, it's literally a bubble between the cut-off and the Source. It is temporary and can be overcome with time and talent. It can be a contest between the one holding the shield and the one shielded.

Severing/stilling is a different act where the tendrils of the Source are cut and the victim is no longer able to reach the Source permanently. It was discovered that this can be healed, but the former amount of power that could be held is severely diminished.

Weaves combine the 4 elements and spirit. Mastery of one does not imply ability with another. Characters can be blocked in one element.

Magic is always tied to psychology. Casters are their own worst enemy more often than not. This includes everything except ability to draw power. Drawing power in turn is exhausting.

Weaves can be tied off for some permanence. They still unravel over time, but like an actual knot this can take eons.

Weaves can be inverted after casting to make them much harder to detect, virtually invisible even to channelers of the same gender.

Anything more than "make more hot with fire" or "push with air" requires knowledge and experience. Intricacy of weaves is an entirely separate dimension and has nothing to do with power to draw the Source. It can be learned, mostly by watching someone else weave, but also through intuition. Seeing a tied off weave gives one an idea of the elements involved. But even seeing it cast does not automatically teach the weave.

Each channeler has weaves they favor, elements they favor.

Most weaves are kept secret.
>>
>>46989513
Stilling can be healed completely. IIRC,it just takes two different methods: one for men, and one for women. Nynaeve discovered the male method, and fully healed logain. She then tried to apply the same method to siuane and leane, but because it was the male method, they were greatly reduced in power.
>>
>>46989647
>>46989513
According to Jordan, men can heal women back to full strength, and women can heal men back to full strength. It's another quirk in the difference between Saidar and Saidin. I don't remember if the characters themselves ever realized that.
>>
>>46989647
Didn't get there yet.
All I know is that Siuan and Leane were nerfed.
>>
>>46989700
more of a stealth-buff then a downright nerf
>>
>>46989700
Ah my bad. I'll try to keep the spoilers down from now on.
>>
>>46989700
I hadn't guessed you weren't through the books yet, because that was a very thorough summary of the mechanics of channeling. It's been a few (3? 4?) years now since I read through the series so my memory is a bit foggy on a lot of the details.
>>
The slow pace and world-building to a needless degree are the two of the most defining aspects of the series and will probably be the first two things thrown out after season 1 or 2.

And is it just me or did Sanderson's writing become more like Jordan's writing as time has gone on? I've only read his WoT books, the Mistborn trilogy and the first two Way of Kings books. But it seems like his writing pace has slowed down and become more character based.
>>
who /lewstherinwasjustrandgoinginsaneandhearingvoices/ here?
>>
File: baroquecycle1.jpg (938 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
baroquecycle1.jpg
938 KB, 2592x1936
>>46989768
It's been out for years. All spoiler are on me. And I really don't mind knowing that the good guys win.

It's been years for me too. I lost hope toward the end, for the writing, not the characters. Then I picked it back up and got to the first Sanderson book. But then: life. And I haven't picked it up again. I will though. I like it.

First the Baroque Cycle though.
>>
>>46974338
Sanderson was good for the first couple of books getting the train back on tracks, but I feel like a lot of the pointless deaths in the final book were from him.

For instance, when was Aviendha's "All Aiel starving to death grabbing scraps falling off Seanchan trains" dream first mentioned?
>>
>>46988018
Man, the scene were the Dark One tries to break Rand's will by showing him what happens if he wins was one of the best moments in a series full of awesome moments.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.