[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Fiend Ashton.png (267 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
Fiend Ashton.png
267 KB, 500x278
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Another Character Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

The book is finally almost out edition.
>>
File: _oI8KMua.jpg (32 KB, 402x366) Image search: [Google]
_oI8KMua.jpg
32 KB, 402x366
Do you use animating intelligences and if so, how?
>>
Ex 3 core book – From RichT: PoD and PDFs on sale to the public this Wednesday, backers will get the discounted PoD links before that. Now on to prepping the actual deluxe traditionally printed files.
>>
What are the changes you're most hoping for for the final release? No absurd wish-listing like 'completely changed craft' or 'no natural languages'. Realistic stuff.
>>
>>46769840
Page numbers on the corners instead of in the middle.
The contents page to actually work.
Legible headings and section titles.
No shit font italics for long fluff paragraphs.
Fog shark not covering up text.
40 cakes uneaten.
Mamipulation.
>>
>>46769876
That pretty much all seems like sensible stuff that I'd like to see myself and aside from the stylistic choices is all stuff I'd expect.

I don't know what they were thinking with those headers, but I hope they've been changed.
>>
>>46769876
>Page numbers on the corners instead of in the middle.
>Fog shark not covering up text.
>40 cakes uneaten.
I think those are all confirmed, actually

>Mamipulation.
What?
>>
>>46769840
No FTM sideboob on the cover and actually dark skinned characters. No horrendous art would be nice, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.
>>
What are combos and why should I care about them?
>>
>>46769900
I only listed layout stuff because you can't really argue about them like MA merits, bp/xp, or the specific wording of some charm. Their book layout is objectively sheet in easy to fix ways.

>>46769901
The character sheet has that typo in giant font right at the top.

>>46769911
Combos aren't in 3e, so you shouldn't care.
>>
>>46769903
Well apparently some of the white washing, at least on the iconic characters in the Castes section, is a late mistake. They have the art with the correct colours, it was just washed out when it was added to the book.

Not sure what the fuss is with the sideboob though.
>>
>>46769935
Prince Diamond on the cover, it's a bit insensitive to show even a little bit of a dude's tits when that's one of the specific parts they've got issues with.
>>
>>46736403
Check out last thread for a really cool storytime about a solar's corruption.
>>
File: Sunset Truth.png (2 MB, 1245x7894) Image search: [Google]
Sunset Truth.png
2 MB, 1245x7894
>>46769977
Woops, meant this specifically.
>>46738662
>>
>>46769962
Does Prince Diamond actually physically identify as a man? I don't want to drag this thread into a batshit discussion about gender politics, but I thought the Delzhan philosophy is 'it's a man's body because I'm a man and it's my body'.
>>
>>46770019
E-mails have gone out for discounted PoDs.
>>
>>46770019
Fair point, maybe I am reaching for this specific character's situation in-setting, still a tacky thing to do if they're supposed to be about representation.

Yeah, let's get the thread back on topic; did you think you'd ever see 3e core release in your lifetime?
>>
>>46770050
I've been continuously and inexplicably optimistic about the whole thing. I think the leak helped with that - though I understand why the developers hated it.
>>
>>46769782
>>46769828
Is there a source, a website I can see on my own?
>>
>>46770139
http://theonyxpath.com/all-pitched-out-monday-meeting-notes/

I didn't back enough to get a PDF, has it updated?
>>
>>46770028
Unfortunately, no PDFs yet, though. I don't think I'm going to get one of PoD books; I've already got a Deluxe Edition copy ordered from my Kickstarter backing, and I don't really need two copies of the book.
>>
>>46770019
That is more or less how it goes. If you want to be a man you have to dress like a man, act like a man and do a man's job, but beyond that the Dereth aren't really uncomfortable with their bodies or anything, not as a rule at least.
>>
File: MGECursedSword.jpg (475 KB, 788x1200) Image search: [Google]
MGECursedSword.jpg
475 KB, 788x1200
>>46769997
There's more forms of corruption than just being turned into an Abyssal or whatever form of Infernal is going to replace Akuma, though.

Take, for instance, an artifact based off of the Cursed Sword from Monstergirl Encyclopedia:
http://monstergirlencyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cursed_Sword

It's a blade of vitriol-tainted moonsilver, fused with the spirit of a Perronelle demon, one of the Living Armors of Malfeas. When it's attuned, it physically fuses with the body of its user, with moonsilver flowing down their limbs and within their veins.

Attunement Evocation gives the weapon the Natural tag, as it fuses with the hand of its user, rendering it impossible to be disarmed without Crippling damage, at the cost of being unable to drop or stow it away, along with the first Evocation charm, which is an Elsewhere storage charm that causes it to flow up along the arm and inside the body of its user, leaving their hand encrusted with a clawed gauntlet of tainted moonsilver (making their Unarmed attack a Light Artifact weapon with the Natural, Lethal, Brawl, and Grappling tags). Further evocations allow them to begin manifesting artifact armor as it grows across more and more of their body, and as they cut down foes, their mind begins to fuse with the blade as well, awakening the primal, aggressive predatory instincts of the weilder until they can be truly said to no longer merely be an Exalt wielding a blade, but an Exalt who is a blade, or perhaps a blade who is an Exalt.
>>
>>46770261
That's one of the interesting thing about the Dereth, if it was straight up wish-fullfilment it would be out of place with the setting. I mean, Delzhan society is horrible with a huge gender divide, but it's also arguably the place in creation with most transgender acceptance even though it isn't a perfect fit: if you identify as a woman but want to be a warrior for example, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>46770320
Because that's what the game needs, unbalanced artifacts tied to weird fetishes.
>>
>>46770188
>I don't really need two copies of the book.
Well, some people think that their deluxe editions are too valuable to use them at a table/in play
>>
>>46770188

If you're not using it, I have multiple people at my play table who want to buy the PoD. I already told one of them they can have my cheap PoD - I'm like you, I'll wait for the deluxe.
>>
>>46769962
Oh yes, because a woman acting like a man is supposed to is so amazingly progressive.

Fucking hell. Call me when they aren't afraid to include a man who is accepted as a woman and is a complete stereotype or B-rated villain, then we'll talk.
>>
>>46770414
What if we don't want to talk? Can we just not?
>>
>>46770424
Sure, but if we're gonna talk, since apparently they want us to talk so damn much, can we at least do it the right way, instead of patting ourselves on the back how great it is that women are free to chose their role, without ackowledging the fact that men absolutely aren't?
>>
>>46770496
But we were just having a conversation about how it's a good thing that they don't have it great, because it would be out of place for the setting. If they had it great there'd be nothing to fight for.
>>
>>46770512
And the symptom of it not being great is apparently not the fact that men can't really choose to take on the role of a woman, because of the lack of a pretty important important feature, no, the symptom of it not being so great is the fact that in that culture a person can't be seen as a woman AND as a warrior.

Like, did we all collectively lose our minds here? Becauce this is third grade logic.
>>
>>46770496
>>46770567
But Men can take the role of a woman, what are you talking about?
>>
>>46770567
What the fuck, anon? Men or women can choose to become Dereth.
>>
>>46770600
Can they? Do we actually have a good example for that? Or better yet, maybe a full-fledged iconic example of that? No of course not. And I think if you move your brain cells a little bit you'll understand why that is.
>>
>>46770626
See, for all the talk of third grade logic you're apparently not big on reasoning. We know it exists, but we've only ever seen a single iconic Dereth. The fact that it's the wrong gender gets you all upset, but that doesn't make them the only kind of Dereth you imbecile.

2e comic had a male-to-female Dereth, I think.
>>
>>46770626
>Can they?
Well, yes, I mean, we are explicitly told how the Dereth work, so there's really no question about it.

>>46770626
>Do we actually have a good example for that? Or better yet, maybe a full-fledged iconic example of that?
So...if we have one Dereth, we should have two, for both genders? No, anon, that would be dumb.

>And I think if you move your brain cells a little bit you'll understand why that is.
Because warriors are cool? Because the professions of Delzahn women aren't as good a fit for an Exalted PC? Even if the reason was that the devs were fine with presenting a woman who chooses to be a man but not a man who chooses to be a woman, it still wouldn't change the fact that the same option is open for both Delzahn men and women.
>>
>>46770683
> Even if the reason was that the devs were fine with presenting a woman who chooses to be a man but not a man who chooses to be a woman, it still wouldn't change the fact that the same option is open for both Delzahn men and women.

And how exactly is that supposed to be achieved? I mean not to be raging right-winger, but there's like I said, an important feature missing there.
>>
>>46770740
>And how exactly is that supposed to be achieved?
By making a fucking Dereth who is biologically a male, or introducing one as an NPC. Do you genuinely expect to get a canon example of literally every possible character concept? I mean, we aren't actually talking about a missing feature, we are talking about a thing that exists in the setting, but just doesn't happen to be featured among the handful of signature characters we have.
>>
>>46770740
No feature is missing. What you're bitching about is representation.
>>
So, how much changes do we expect from the final backer pdf?
>>
> Yeah, let's get the thread back on topic; did you think you'd ever see 3e core release in your lifetime?

Yes, I figured it would be out by 2020 at the latest.

[considerthefollowing.jpg]
1e came out in 2001. 2e came out in 2006. In 2012, 3e was announced "coming this year", which looked like a reasonable interval from people who should by now have some experience and know what they're doing.

Schedule slip to 2013. Progress bar on their site 2/7... 4/7... 3/7... 5/7... slip to 2014... 6/7... 7/9... 8/9... 9/10... slip to 2015... what the fuck is wrong with these guys, how do they not know how many steps are involved in making a product that they've made two versions of already? ...schedule site now a noncommittal "on the horizon".

It just feels so utterly *surreal*. I blame that Sidereal charm that makes an organization get nothing done.
>>
>>46770862
>how do they not know how many steps are involved in making a product that they've made two versions of already
Because the people making it have never made a core book before and they completely reworked the system halfway through.

I mean yeah, it's a comedy of errors but I don't blame them for Morke's illness and changing the mechanics because I'm pretty fond of the mechanics we got.

Still think that the person in charge of art and layout is terrible though.
>>
>>46770860
Minor stuff, mostly corrections. Hopefully some clearing up on martial art rules.
>>
Looking back on my latest exalted 2e experience as I wait for 3e to roll in and be different. (?)

> 2 years ago, acquaintance of mine starts a game of Exalted 2e
> 5 people originally join: Chronicler Guy (me) playing Lunar Smartass, Comcast Guy (whose internet is crap) playing Lunar Brute, That One Guy (famous for using an explicit monstergirl pic as his Lunar reference once) playing Abyssal WTF, Chick Guy (who only plays female characters) playing Solar Thief, Sidereal Guy playing Sidereal Sidereal
> Sidereal Guy shortly drops out
> Irate Guy joins with big-mouth-bigger-DV Dawn Caste
> Original ST gives up after a while
> Other 4 players are somewhat unhappy
> Chronicler Guy talked into taking over
> Comcast Guy drops out because he can't participate much
> Chronicler Guy now running STPC who gets into love affair with Chick Guy's PC
> Original plot wraps up. It was something about a haunted church, but it was kinda lost in the shakedown of who is actually going to be in this bloody thing
> Chronicler Guy now running game for Chick Guy, That One Guy and Irate Guy, figures he might as well put out call for new players as new chapter opens
> Postsalot Guy joins with a mortal beastman
> Postsalot Guy has high Mentor background representing his Lunar sire, figure that will be the actual character
> nope.jpg
> Postsalot Guy's mortal now moral compass for the group
> yep.jpg
> Circle now consisting of Lunar Smartass, Solar Thief, Abyssal WTF, Solar Dawn, mortal conscience goes walking the earth
> see DB sorcerer setting himself up as warlord
> object to warlordism
> crush DB sorcerer
> see town wracked by plague
> nobody has Plague-Curing Method,
> circle decides to go around, this is not suitable adventure
> see multiple Dragon-Blooded tourists in tavern
> thief quickly toasts the Scarlet Empress
> DBs nod condescendingly, pay no more attention to respectful but ignorant mortal
(continued)
>>
>>46771310
> continue walking the earth, see shadowland
> Abyssal-Lunar pair is lurking in shadowland plotting malicious business
> planning to bring regional peace by encouraging part-time militias while terrorising standing armies
> Solars do not put up with this, fight ensues
> circle loses due to splitting the party + insufficient DPS against regenerating Lunar
> antagonist Abyssal detaches Solar Thief's thumbs for use in extortion
> party Abyssal steals thumb jar
> antagonist Abyssal attempts to negotiate with prospect of restoring thumbs
> embarassing moment for all involved
> circle eventually extorted into aiding plan to bring regional peace
> let's get the heck out of here
> reach large city, hear rumor of manse
> STPC finally written out, "called away by Gathering"
> circle acquires manse
> it is solar's past life manse with clues to next one
> circle acquires 2 more manses
> solar thief starts a bakery and takes on apprentices
> solar dawn starts a dojo and finds a friendly geomancer
> That One Guy drops out due to player personal life issues
> hear rumors of raiding hordes in vicinity
> short on Survival and Ride, the solars join punitive expedition being organized by a DB there, rather than setting out on their own
> mortal assigned to keep watch on their business in city
> punitive expedition leaves
> DB visiting some place on diplomacy, hordes attack
> solar dawn seizes command of army meanwhile and fights them off
> solar dawn hides as DB returns
> solar thief poses as solar dawn to explain to DB what was going on
> DB uses (Revelation of Associates Hunch) on solar thief, gets very suspicious
> solar dawn receives interim officership
> DB takes detour by way of immaculate monastery
> DB invites important people in, sets trap for interim officer
> interim officer meets physical challenge by PUNCHING IT TO SHREDS when she thinks nobody is watching
> someone was
> solar dawn inflicts heavy casualties, but dies at immaculate monastery
(continued)
>>
>>46771321

> solar thief runs in horror back from monastery to army camp, throws Husband-Seducing Demon Dance
> DB commander comes shortly after, dissent in ranks, army mostly following Solar for the present but unwilling to attack former commander who a) was decent and b) is a dragon on fire
> solar thief begins racing back to city
> DB commander sends Wind-Carried Words back to city which gets there first
> solar's bakery and apprentices impounded
> Solar Gryphonrider shows up, joins circle (by now very loose "circle")
> apprentices rescued from hostage situation
> DB commander shows up with monks
> circle flees to manse, hides out there for a while
> during Calibration, when things slip through cracks, soulsteel airship falls in from navigating the Wyld, crashlands on manse
> wacky hijinks as party figures out how to communicate negotiate with extracreational visitors from "lost colony" out in the Wyld, learn of ecosystem of colonies in former-creation and the craft they use to travel there, clad in soulsteel to repel raksha
> loyalist abyssal antagonist shows up and wants in on this whole "soulsteel airship" thing
> friendly sidereal shows up and wants "what is going on, let me join you and make report", only semi-joins circle
> (this sidereal soon gets written out and the player switches to a new character, then quits again later after hearing the ST's political views and not liking them)
> player of solar thief expresses interest in new character
> at prospect of having no characters left who were original members of this farce, I decide to reboot game
(continued)
>>
>>46771351
> now they're pirates: Solar Captain, Solar Gryphonrider, Temporary Sidereal, Mortal Liasioin (however you spell that, it's an ambassadorial thingy from an Elder Lunar in the region)
> raid city, acquire loot, acquire price on head
> hear about larger bounty for capturing live river dragon
> punch out river dragon and drag it downriver
> bounty person offers even larger bounty for visiting pocket universe and capturing even bigger weird monster there
> head into pocket universe, punch giant monster, it turns into giant jellyfish, ow ow ow
> eventually punch it out and drag it back
> hear about prophecy from Sidereal, visit obscure village, solarize it into solar cult
> glorious WTF moment ensues en route: sidereal wants signature on petition, convinces captain to pray and ask for the Sun's signature, captain gets 14 successes on prayer roll
> on the spot, petition disappears, comes back a minute later with signature
> except wait a moment, this isn't the Sun's signature, this is "secretary to the office of the Unconquered Sun's stuff, on behalf of the main god running the office of the Unconquered Sun's shit"
> sidereal very happy about having gotten high-essence god's signature
> solar captain needs a fucking drink
> gryphonrider drops out
> sail downriver a bit
> (about here is where Temporary Sidereal was replaced by Temporary Godblood)
> infernal antagonist shows up, trolls solar in middle of public prayer-speech
> instant hate between solar and infernal
> infernal aligns with one side in nearby war, solar with other side
> mortal's Lunar mentor drops in, exchanges information, warns about Wyld Hunt incoming soon
> war rages for a bit
(continued)
>>
File: 1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg (52 KB, 571x570) Image search: [Google]
1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg
52 KB, 571x570
>>46771380
> sailing into latest battle
> captain of nearby ship is traitor
> wyld hunt incoming
> abyssal shows up trying to rescue mcguffin godblood from wyld hunt (read: kidnap for own purposes)
> lunar shows up trying to be also helpful
> many-way battle, only person missing is the infernal
> abyssal offers to "save" ship now under heavy fire from wyld hunt sorcerer and archers on cloud platform
> lacking a sorcerer, solar captain accepts
> abyssal necroports ship to underworld
> Temporary Godblood drops out over political disagreement
> solar captain has shouting match with abyssal
> solar captain's player drops out, silently disappearing
> I am now running game of Exalted for one person not even playing an exalt
> Beastman Quest: Underworld Explorer

And that's about where I stand now.
>>
>>46771310
>famous for using an explicit monstergirl pic as his Lunar reference once
Well, where's the link? I don't see the link anywhere, you must have forgotten it.
>>
>>46771486
>Well, where's the link?

This is /tg/, you want /d/, ask for Alipheese.
>>
>>46770330
Comparing the Dereth to trannies seems a bit disingenuous to me. Gender is a social construct in Delzahn society and is more a descriptor of your social role. Men aren't men because they have penises, they're men because they fight, hunt, and do all the other things expected of the masculine role in their society. I never got the feeling that Diamond thinks of herself as FTM. I fully expect that if Diamond ever gets to go home she will find a nice feminine man and make him her bitch.
>>
>>46771619
No, I want to know which image in particular, I don't need help finding Monstergirl pics.
>>
>>46771648
The problem is that women's role is to, big surprise, have babies, which men can't really do, now can they? So all it actually boils down to is women being able to do men things and men being locked in doing men things.
>>
>>46771739
Have you actually read Scavenger Sons?
>>
>>46771739
Except that's wrong.
>>
>>46771768
>>46771752
I think this is actually some serious trolling at this point. Someone's probably trying to bait stupid drama about delzhan/transgenders.
>>
>>46771768
So who's role is it exactly do have babies, given the fact that you can only chose from two?
>>
>>46770677
>MTF Dereth in 2e

can confirm, comic amounts to a foreigner asking for directions saying "Ma'am", dereth turns around, foreigner says something like "sorry don't know the local customs, didn't realise you're a man", Dereth's bodygaurd be all like "Nigga, the fuck you call her?!"
>>
>>46771884
>but does he have babies?
>help, I have brain problems
>>
>>46771833
Children are a shared responsibility. Physical sex is only tangential to ones social role in Delzhan society. If you're physically female but socially male I imagine that, other then feeding newborns, most responsibilities for raising your children fall to your 'wife'.
>>
>>46771901
What?
>>
>>46771800
In the choice between baiting drama about transgenders and baiting monstergirl pics, I choose "tell me about flurries".

I recall the devs were quite firm that they wanted flurries to die in a fire so that you didn't have to wait through fourteen ten-step resolutions before you got to your turn.

I see the latest pdf has flurries anyway. How flurry-y are they?
>>
>>46771833
You know it takes more than just women to make babies right?
>>
>>46771985
You can't have more than one attack without charms is what they mean, pretty much. There are now strict rules on what kinds of actions you can take in combat.
>>
>>46771985
Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure you'd be doing quite well to get 5 attacks in a turn, and more importantly they aren't 10-step things no more.
>>
>>46771739
Yes, it is a big oversight that Delzahn men can't get pregnant even if they choose to become Dereth while Delzahn women who become Dereth get to prance around impregnating women. Oh wait, no, that's completely wrong. Here's the thing, anon: much like the role of men in any society isn't actually restricted to producing and dispensing semen, the role of women isn't restricted to giving birth. There are behaviors and professions that the Delzahn culture associates with women, others it associates with men, and these behaviors and professions are what actually form the gender roles in that society.
>>
>>46772035
Except the problem is that you can't realistially associate giving birth with men, because they can't do that.
>>
>>46771985
Real multiattack flurries are something you can only do through Charms, and these Charms aren't really spammable.
>>
>>46772035
Stop replying to the bait.
>>
>>46772058
Yeaahhh I'm going to have to admit that I don't have no clue what you're talking about, and I think it's safe to assume that you have no clue what you're talking about either. I mean, your post seems to be pretty much entirely irrelevant to what I said. Yes, men can't give birth. Yes, women can't become father. No, giving birth isn't all there is to the role of women, and no, fathering children isn't all there is to the role of men.
>>
>>46772013
>You can't have more than one attack without charms is what they mean, pretty much.

This sounds like it has done fuck-all to resolve the problem, since a) Solars, the default protagonists, are piles of charms, and b) 2e's problem on this score wasn't Bob flurrying eight mundane attacks, it was Bob throwing eight-attack Iron Whirlwind.

>>46772026
>Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure you'd be doing quite well to get 5 attacks in a turn, and more importantly they aren't 10-step things no more.

>>46772064
>Real multiattack flurries are something you can only do through Charms, and these Charms aren't really spammable.

Iron Whirlwind Attack in 3e seems relatively spammable for 5m,1wp and a flurry of #(lowest Physical attribute) attacks. Two die stunts still restore willpower, and 5 motes now recover automatically every round. Am I missing something? Mandatory heavy expenditure on defense charms, perhaps?

Glad to hear 10 steps are gone.
>>
>>46772092
well, you got half of it right. Fathering children is indeed not all ther is to the role of men, in fact that's the least that there is to the role of men. The role of men is that of a protector and provider, which is why, people with vaginas who can have babies, can also engage in that role. Hoever the role of a woman IS giving borth. That's the baseline of what it means to be a woman in any ancient society, anything else is at best a bonus, much like the ability to father children is a bonus and sometimes even a liability for men, because after all one man can impregnate a woman every 15 minutes or so. But a man can't have babies.

So in reality, in that great and progressive society, what you would have is men doing men things, women doing men things, and some women doing men things. Men doing women things is not something you'd see, because the bare minimum of doing women things is not met.

And that's what the discussion about Dereth should centre around, if we're supposed to have one at all.
>>
>>46772196
2 dice stunts are not as common as you think you are. Plus 5m is your mote regen for the turn gone before excellencies, damage boosters or anything spent on defense.

It is absolutely not spammable without a shitton of charms supporting it.
>>
>>46772202
Delzahn definition of gender roles =/= gender roles in ancient society
>>
>>46772236
Yeah I'ma have to call bullshit on that because nothing about the Elzahn, given their portrayal within the setting, should allow them to behave in any other way.

Seriously, how are they suppose to form a society that even could behave in any other way? Are men somehow capable of having babies? Do they, like, have sorcerers for days who can do sexual-reasignment surgery for any men who wants to be Dereth? Because otherwise I don't see it.
>>
>>46772058
But, and this is important, the Delzahn can because to them men could well have vaginas and women could well have dicks. They probably aren't associating biological thing's by gender.
>>
>>46772196
Iron whirlwind is a decisive. Decisive spend your initiative to do damage. Going below 0 initiative, which is what happens when you take withering damage, crashes you. When you're crashed, your hardness drops to 0, you can't do decisives, and a bunch of charms stop working.

The price of 5m 1wp+decisive is "I have just spent a bunch of resources and put myself at the threshold of being crashed."

You'll have to farm up initiative with withering attacks, which for 99% of builds can't be flurried, to do another iron whirlwind. While trying not to lose more than you gain.
>>
>>46772196
>Two die stunts still restore willpower
Two-die stunts are also uncommon. They're defined as stunts that particularly stand out in a scene, and your every action can't particularly stand out as your actions are part of the 'baseline' potential 2-point stunts are compared to. You can't just 2-point stunt your every action.

>>46772202
Okay, so at this point it is pretty clear that you are just trolling, but why on Earth should the discussion on Dereth be centered around a bunch of assumptions that, even if they were true in the real world - which is highly debatable but not something that should be debated in an Exalted thread - are definitely not true in the Creation?
>>
>>46772272
That makes absolutely no sense for a nomadic society in a bronze age world. Their society would die out in a decade.

They've gotta have some serious auspicious protection going on if they can actually keep this up.
>>
Durgledzells are bait, but they touch on a topic I've been wondering for a while about the philosophy of Exalted.

On the mortal, individual scale, the developers seem to be going to great lengths to depict a sort of mutant that is verging on the inhuman in its New Soviet Man-like flexibility and adaptability to a wide array of social organizations and rearrangements.

But on the Exalted scale, it's all hubris and nemesis and "you have overreached! aiieeee".

What gives? And how Earthlike are the humans of Creation supposed to be, anyway?
>>
>>46772271
>how are they suppose to form a society that even could behave in any other way?
You'd know if you'd read the book.

>Are men somehow capable of having babies?
The ones with vaginas can, yes.
>>
>>46772271
>Because otherwise I don't see it.
Yes, but, and this is important, this failure to 'see it's is entirely on you.

>>46772304
How the fuck would a small minority of people choosing to assume the role of the other gender lead to their society dying out?
>>
>>46772304
The men-women just find cute women-men to knock them up, anon. It is not that complicated.
>>
>>46772271
Most of them go with the role of their biological sex and the people who adopt the other role have to wear a grey cloth identifying them, I think.

Most women identify as women and do normal babymaking. Most men identify as men and knock women up. But when a woman wants to fight or a man wants to do sewing and shit nobody raises a fuss, they just say "cool, just wear the right clothes and do the right things and we'll all call you a man/woman"

They're actually way more stringent about gender roles than other societies. You can't fight without being a man. Period. Want to fight? You're a man, then.
>>
>>46772324
>What gives? And how Earthlike are the humans of Creation supposed to be, anyway?

It varies with the writer. Your mistake is in thinking White Wolf has anything vaguely resembling a coherent policy on this score. That's how they got a game which packed inventing the microscope and studying cell biology alongside "science is a lie" and charms defying reality by containing atomic bomb levels of bullshit magic power. Humans in Creation are magically well-functioning tumblrgenders when written by a tumblrina, and they're not when they're not. Clear?
>>
>>46772363
Except baby making apparently, for some reason that's something the Delhzan, unlike any ancient society, don't seem to care about that much.
>>
File: Trill_Medical_Diagram.jpg (413 KB, 900x1119) Image search: [Google]
Trill_Medical_Diagram.jpg
413 KB, 900x1119
Maybe I'm diving too deep here, but I've been watching some Star Trek DS9 recently. Anyone think it'd be interesting to treat exaltations as kinda the same as trill symbionts, in regards the whole social/identity consequences of carrying multiple lifetimes' experiences and memories?

How much does someone feel obligated to past life commitments? How much do you believe yourself to be the same person as the previous host? It seems like it'd be interesting stuff to talk about or to mess with.
>>
>>46772363

Indeed. Delzahn gender roles are insanely strict, to the point that they'd be considered rigid even by the standards of somewhere like present day Saudi Arabia. It's just the cultural release valve is that when you reach adulthood and do your rite of passage you get to choose which set of gender-rules apply to you.
>>
>>46772404
Anon, why do you keep making things up? Why do you keep bringing up these made up claims about the Delzahn to people who obvious have read the damn books?
>>
>>46772304
Well for one they haven't been really nomadic in a very long time. In fact they've been a highly prosperous city state allied with the world's largest empire for literally hundreds of years. They really aren't all that worried about losing their women to war or the harsh desert or whatever.
>>
It'd be wonderful if conversation could be restricted to only people who have read certain books. Sure, there'd be less conversation but there'd be fewer ignorant people coming in to troll.
>>
>>46772449
And, just to make things clear to the dense anon who keeps talking about the Delzahn despite clearly not having read anything about them, *vast majority choose their own, biological gender*. A few do not.
>>
>>46772488
I like it when people who haven't read the books come here to ask questions. I don't really like it when people who haven't read the books come here to make misinformed arguments while ignoring the corrections made by people who have read the books, though.
>>
>>46772525
Maybe I'm just burned out on people posting picture of their waifus and asking a thousand questions that could have been resolved by reading the setting chapter.
>>
Which Caste would best fit Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures?
>>
>>46772587
Sidereal, Chosen of Secrets.
>>
>>46772615
My god that would be funny.
>>
>>46772574
Oh, sure *that* is annoying. People who obviously have read some basic material asking questions rather than reading through two editions worth of books, or even the highlights of 2E, are fine as far as I'm concerned. Seeing people who are new to Exalted showing interest is nice. The annoying thing about the kinds of questions that could be solved by reading the setting chapter of the core isn't that they're stupid question, but that they're, sort of...apathetic questions, I guess? I mean, if there was actual interest behind them, the anon in question would've presumably read *something*.
>>
File: AyeloUS.jpg (89 KB, 784x708) Image search: [Google]
AyeloUS.jpg
89 KB, 784x708
>>46772668
The worst is when people ask how to stat out someone from Fate Stay Night.

It's always Gilgamesh. Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>46772615
>"ONE MORE THING! Why does the universe not make it so that my stock arrives on time?"
>>
>>46772708

How do I stat out Archer?
>>
>>46772788
>twin swords
>bow
>armor
>fire imagery
>unhappy because he spent his life chasing a lie
Archer is an Immaculate monk
>>
File: Rider.png (7 MB, 1839x3140) Image search: [Google]
Rider.png
7 MB, 1839x3140
>>46772708
Stat me :^)
>>
>>46772867
2CD, probably a Warden Soul.

Speaking of demons, what happens when a 3CD is in more than one place at once? Does he split or share his motepool? If one is fighting in Creation, does he get tired in hell? If he gets hurt, does the other him flinch, or become unhappy?
>>
File: Asian Siddie.png (404 KB, 340x496) Image search: [Google]
Asian Siddie.png
404 KB, 340x496
>>46772867
I know her
>>
PDF when?
>>
>>46772432
That depends a lot on the society you're looking at. At one end of the extreme, modern society mostly knows about the DBs, who don't have "exaltations" in the same way that celestials do. At the other end, the First Age Solar Deliberative continued for thousands of years assuming that whoever has X exaltation will be the ruler of X portion of Creation, and the host doesn't really matter.

I can definitely imagine, at high hubris, Solars deciding they know better than the Unconquered Sun about whether a given host is worthy of Exaltation; if a new host with an inconvenient personality turns up, better to arrange for them to die and be reincarnated into someone better. After all, you wouldn't want to be stuck with someone who disagrees with you for millennia, would you?

But that's society. Whether an individual exalt agrees with society's interpretation is up to them. Some Exaltations carry more memories from their previous host than others, so individual players can choose whether they like the idea and take Past Lives as a merit, or Throwbacks as a flaw.

Regardless, there will be some people who care about an Exalt's previous host, and some who don't. The Eclipse iconic from 2e, Swan, has the Exaltation held by Desus the incomparable douche in the First Age; his Lunar Mate, Lilith, is still alive, thousands of years old, and holding a grudge. Poor guy.
>>
>>46772958

It's true co-location, yes. The two bodies are one and the same being, so Ligier-the-Green-Sun-in-Hell and Ligier-the-Smith-Master-in-Creation share the same mote pool and life force and all that good stuff.
>>
>>46773329
What about sensations? Would Jacint trip up, misspeak and make the wrong bridge in Malfeas if the Mask of Winters cut his arm off in Creation?
>>
>>46773368

That would depend on the Demon, I think. Some are tougher than others, and the two minds are clearly "big" enough that the two bodies can perform completely different actions without disrupting the other too much.

I'd be inclined to say: Under normal operation, even regular combat, the two bodies can generally keep their shit together. If you do something uncommon or horrible, like wounding Ligier's soul or giving him a task that challenges even his legendary skills, then the Green Sun might flicker or surge.
>>
>>46772432
>>46773303

There's kind of a weird player/fluff separation about it. There aren't any mechanics, outside specific cases like taking the Past Lives merit or suchlike, that require players to make their past lives relevant. In-setting, however, there are a lot of fluff materials where celestial exalts are treated as being legally and morally a continuation of their previous incarnation, especially by gods and elder exalted.

I guess, in order to secure against social upsets whenever a Celestial died in the first age, it became the law and custom of Heaven and the old realm that exalts were considered to be continuous legal entities? And then that just became tradition?

I think it'd be interesting to have an interpretation where the exaltation itself is sort of half a person in its own right, though.
>>
>>46773420
>>46773329

I think a certain extra level of immortality is afforded by bilocation, and the bodies count injury and death separately. Like, if you cut off green-dude-Ligier's arm in some way that he can't grow it back, then the next time he shows up in that form, he'll still have his arm gone. But, nothing will have happened to this other forms.

And if you kill green-dude-Ligier, there's probably some sort of serious overall spiritual injury, but his other forms will still be alive and able to do whatever they do, he just won't be able to be green-dude-Ligier any more. If you want to kill Ligier, you'd have to kill ALL the Ligiers.
>>
File: 1457650250979.gif (2 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
1457650250979.gif
2 MB, 540x304
>>46769997
My first screencapped storytime.

Feels good man.
>>
File: BustyDarkHairAsian.jpg (204 KB, 815x1200) Image search: [Google]
BustyDarkHairAsian.jpg
204 KB, 815x1200
>>46770343

I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
File: OhMyyyy.jpg (72 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
OhMyyyy.jpg
72 KB, 441x408
>>46771884
>mfw my last character was a Dawn who specifically got into fights with Delzahn because he didn't give a shit about their fruity culture and the whole lot of them were such touchy cunts he could set them off with a few words
>>
>>46773882
Did you keep a tally of the number of fruitbats you clobbered?
>>
File: 1460995071269.png (53 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1460995071269.png
53 KB, 700x500
>>46773736
It's because you did well Abyssal-kun. Relish in this acomplishment and don't forget to keep us updated on how the story goes from there. Anju x Truth is best ship.
>>
>>46774143

Anybody know roughly when the pdf will be around tomorrow? Is it usually around noon Eastern?
>>
>>46774171

And forgot to remove the link in quick reply :/
>>
File: DeliciousWyldFish.png (324 KB, 476x513) Image search: [Google]
DeliciousWyldFish.png
324 KB, 476x513
>>46774053

Nah, they just got added to the running total of "Holy shit thats a lot of defeated/dead people".
>>
>>46774248

Are you going to post that picture every day until 3e Lunars comes out?
>>
>>46774171
The official pdf for backers, or the pirated versions for this thread?
>>
>>46774287

They will roughly be the same and you know that. But I meant the buyable one on drivethru which will also be the updated one for backers.
>>
File: Sad.jpg (150 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Sad.jpg
150 KB, 950x534
>>46774280

I haven't been in these threads in weeks Anon. I only stop by to confirm E3 isn't out yet and occasionally to dump art.

Sorry you've got a hateboner for whoever posts that, but it ain't me.
>>
File: 1418584327218.jpg (12 KB, 385x335) Image search: [Google]
1418584327218.jpg
12 KB, 385x335
>>46774322
>>
Can you make mundane weapons with that Disguise/fate bullshit Infernal have?
>>
File: tumblr_m1vdhhEZwv1qg68t2o1_1280.jpg (173 KB, 878x683) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1vdhhEZwv1qg68t2o1_1280.jpg
173 KB, 878x683
>>46771425
Sounds fun bro.
Makes me wish for a game.
Never played Exalted, heh.
>>
>>46773251

Apparently tomorrow, according to Kickstarter. You've waited three years, you can wait another 24 hours.
>>
>>46771619
>>46771685
At least author?
>>
Was this posted here yet?
>>
>>46774779

Yeah I had a chuckle at that.
>>
>>46774779
I'm not sure if he's trying to imply that himself and the devs are also unhappy with how long this has taken or not.
>>
>>46774728
>3E Kikestarter.jpg
>>
>>46772227
Eh, we dropped 1dies completely and just use 2 and 3 dice stunts.

Re:multilocations, the hitboxes, motepools, etc are separate and if you kill something it's just that instance/fragment; to completely kill Ligier par exemple, you'd have to do it in Malfeas.
>>
So anyone come up with a First Age history for their characters last life? Is it interesting?
>>
File: 1457823844969.png (39 KB, 156x129) Image search: [Google]
1457823844969.png
39 KB, 156x129
>>46774954
>Re:multilocations
That is in our game, at least.
Obviously not concrete and universal.
Just in case someone's triggering.
>>
>>46774966
First Age equivalent to popping wheelies - jumping on to charging horses and striking a fabulous pose.

My guy did this so dramatically and impressively that he exalted as an Eclipse Solar.

He exalted in lands ruled by a Night Solar and within moments she was at his side, plying him with tales of supremacy and the rules of his life to come as she guided him to Meru.

They lived as a power couple until the Usurpation, where he died fighting 1 vs 1 million with his armies at is side and her cursing the names of the Sidereals.

Fast forward to the present day and Bumfuck McGee receives guy's exaltation. he's hyped as fuck, until E10 Night solar turns up, asking questions he can't possibly answer and declaring that she has loved him for his thousand year sleep.

Shit gets real when your waifu loves you, rather than the other way around.
>>
>>46774954
>Eh, we dropped 1dies completely and just use 2 and 3 dice stunts.
Well that's a terrible idea.
>>
File: 800px-Snail-front-0A.jpg (27 KB, 800x510) Image search: [Google]
800px-Snail-front-0A.jpg
27 KB, 800x510
>>46771685
>I want to know which image in particular
>>46774758
>At least author?

I don't know. It was years ago and I only remember it being PG-18 for tentacled vagina and something else.

Which, to be fair and to get back on topic of Exalted, is easily available to Lunars at character generation. This thanks to the Hybrid Body Rearrangement errata, which is best viewed as a stealthy way of giving Lunars build-a-beast customized shapeshifting:

> The character may transform part of her body, producing any mutation she desires, so long as the mutation is based on her spirit shape or a shape in her heart's blood library. Producing a pox or deficiency costs 1m, an affliction or debility costs 2m, a blight or deformity costs 3m, and an abomination costs 4m. These motes are not committed, the Lunar may simultaneously wear as many mutations as she wishes, and the mutations last as long as the Lunar desires. Such mutations do not recede when the character's anima flares to the 8m+ level.

Protip: if your ST gives you trouble about the heart's blood library and won't let you start with a squid form, you can hunt a jellyfish instead for tentacles, those are much more widespread. If the ST is a hardass about "those have thread stingers, not mutation-style tentacles", then hunt snails. Pic related.
>>
>>46775118
>until E10 Night solar turns up
how
>>
File: 1452222661325.gif (276 KB, 500x554) Image search: [Google]
1452222661325.gif
276 KB, 500x554
>>46775118
>maximum yandere
>>
>>46775468
Predominantly Nights escaped the Jade Prison. them and exactly one of every other splat so that people can play a perfect circle during the shogunate.

She was alone for a long-ass time
>>
>>46774954
>Eh, we dropped 1dies completely and just use 2 and 3 dice stunts.
Why would you do that?
>>
If muskets and more importantly pistols were added into the setting what charms should be added for their use? Shards charms are not bad but I am unsure if I should attempt to port them into 3e's archery.
>>
>>46775681
Someone mentioned just using thrown charms for pistols and archery charms for longarms a few threads back.
>>
Does Sanctaphrax post on /exg/? Never seen him respond to a comment about his Craft rewrite, but I've seen very similar posts to http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/868640-i-am-mad-the-civil-thread-for-voicing-displeasure?p=868677#post868677 on here.
>>
>>46776493
He's taking those fuckers to task in there. Good on him.
>>
>>46776606

>You clearly have big issues with how Holden communicates, and John too I'm guessing, and you feel as you feel as is your right. I understand, there have been a lot of bumps on the communication road. From my PoV, though, that's a learning process for them as they grow into the developer role. So, if you want to be offended at Onyx Path, or at me personally, for not firing them, then I guess you will be, because I did not fire them off of EX3.

See you in the Godbound general boys.
>>
>>46776606
I love how it has now became an accepted fact that Holden and Hatewheel are a couple of incompetent, anti-social twats who can't be trusted with a tamagochi, much less with the fate of an entire franchise.

The sounds of phones ringing is defeaning. Do you know who that might be? That's right. It's all of us. We called it.
>>
>>46775523
Why not?
1d's for going beyond "I hit it with my sword", 2d's for using the scenery and everyone does it in our group
>>
>>46777301

Because that isn't what 2d's are, anymore.

2-die stunts are the highlight of the entire scene.
>>
File: 90KgTuN.jpg (25 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
90KgTuN.jpg
25 KB, 521x521
>>46776493
>that whole thread
>>
First Movement of the Demiurge

Can you make a 3 of a kind of 10s to create another 10 if you have Flawless Handiwork Method that let's 10s reroll?
>>
>>46777671

I would allow it, I think.

The difference probably isn't very significant, statistically.

(The real work-horses of the power tree are Flawless Handiwork and Experiential Conjuring, really.)
>>
File: 1383005806162.png (109 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1383005806162.png
109 KB, 700x500
>RichT: ... Final PDF ... on DTRPG tomorrow afternoon ...

Oh boy oh boy
>>
>>46777671
what
3 of a kind?
I get FWM allows you to reroll 10s, so would FMotD repeat that allowing you to rereroll 10s?
>>
>>46778367
First Movement of the Demiurge lets you convert a non-success to a 10 if you have a 3 of a kind of a success. 7s, 8s, etc. Flawless Handiwork Method allows you to reroll 10s while keeping their successes.

Let's say I roll 3 10s and some failure. I would reroll those 3 10s while keeping their successes so I'm at 6 successes. I rolled 3 of a kind of 10s, could I then convert a non-success to a 10? Which I would get 2 successes for and then reroll to whatever.

If this is the case it actually explodes the number of successes you can generate because 7s, 8s, and 9s, all generate more 10s which if you can then use to convert MORE non-successes to 10s it just kind of feeds in on itself really hard.
>>
>>46778555
Yeah, it does. Also, if you get convert three non-successes into 10s, you get to convert another non-success into a 10 because you've gotten another three-of-a-kind.
>>
I've been playing through some old DBZ games lately and it's made me realize that for all the over-the-top shit in Exalted, basically no character can actually reach that kind of absurd power. I'll never be able to Final Flash some cheeky Abyssal/Infernal/Deathlord/whatever (fuck, it's even gold to boot!) to death.

Honestly the lack of support Exalted has had for energy/ki blasting and over-the-top named special moves unique to each character is surprising, given how anime it usually is.
>>
>>46779563
Someone hasn't looked at sorcery or the brawl tree.
>>
File: IActivateAscendantBattleVisage.gif (465 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
IActivateAscendantBattleVisage.gif
465 KB, 500x300
>>46779563

For all the retarded shit MA usually does, I'm honestly surprised no one ever ripped off DBZ/Street Fighter for an MA style or some Brawl Charms (well, beyond Ascendant Battle Visage).

You'd think tossing essence based death blasts would be easy given how low in the Melee tree that is.
>>
>>46779690
Well Kamehameha is basically Death Ray.
>>
>>46779563
Some of the shit in Dreams back in 2e came a bit close. The original version of Torrent of Inner Light was basically a Kamehameha. In 3e though, no, they've scaled things back a good deal.
>>
>>46775522
Would it make sense to have 4 first age solars and a lunar during the shogunate, fleeing the post-usurpation clean up?
Then having my PC newly exalted Night join them, learn the ropes, see them die, then run away to the wyld and borders, travelling the world and avoiding wyld hunts until the present time?
I just kinda wanted to make an old solar that's been around for a few hundred years (not even wanting the essence bump), but the setting does limit your options for older solars.
Do you guys think I could have that backstory without it being dumb or ruining the setting?
>>
>>46779690
Apocalypse Flare Attack.
>>
>>46780160
Is that the one that requires you to first be attacked by somebody else's energy based attack?
>>
>>46779690
Could refluff Thrown as essence blasts.
>>
>>46780216
Is Spirit Weapons still a thing? While that charm technically gave you essence-formed weapons, it could easily be fluffed instead as energy blasts with the damaging traits of thrown weapons.
>>
So, Exalted 3e finally goes out the door on April 20th, 2016.

Does anybody remember the exact day it was first announced? I seem to remember the Kickstarter actually wasn't the first mention of it.
>>
>>46780289

Quick google looks to say July 24thish 2012.
>>
>>46774779
it's not even worth posting the ashton kutcher gif any more
>>
>>46780340
Hm, so not quite four full years of this shit. Amazing.
>>
Could you create a sorcerers working to make people just kinda ignore solar exaltation in a small city area? Like, they see a caste mark or even bonfire and just go "huh, that person sure is glowing. Ah well, not gonna let it ruin my day!" and keep moving
>>
Can mortals learn sorcery? If so, how? If they can't learn charms, how can they learn Terrestrial Circle of sorcery?
>>
File: gsdx_20160419185525.jpg (371 KB, 2048x1792) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20160419185525.jpg
371 KB, 2048x1792
>>46779754
Except you don't charge as fast.

>>46779690
You know that's actually a pretty sweet idea, and I'd try it out if not for my complete incompetence when it comes to Homebrew.

>>46779965
I'm not just talking about that stuff, I mean the stuff like the ultimate attacks, such as pic related (I just recorded it with PCSX2).

That entire explosion is nearly the size of the entire Blessed Isle. Goddamn. If someone in Creation could muster that kind of strength it would be razed to the ground already.

Maybe the Primordials/Yozis could do stuff on that scale? But definitely never any Exalt, not even a First Age Solar.

I mean in the end it doesn't really matter since that's not the kind of stuff Exalted is going for, but it was funny to think about.
>>
>>46780417

Sure. I don't see why not. Although mechanically if they are specifically looking for you they should get a integrity roll of some sort to try and see through it. Unless its like a Solar level working on a small enough area. The exact scaling should be up to your storyteller.

>>46780435

RTFM.
>>
>>46779690
To me, this is part of Exalted's identity. No matter how high the power gets, you still have one foot in the old sword-and-sandals aesthetic. Besides, over-reliance on giant energy attacks is the mark of a shitty shonen, doubly so if it started with swords and fists.
>>
>>46777301

Propably because those vastly reduced requirements make 2d-stunts about ten times more common than they're supposed to be in 3rd edition, which breaks the willpower system, which breaks every high power-high cost charm in the game as well as high-levelsummoning sorcery, which breaks the entire game.

Does that answer your question?
>>
>>46776493
>>46776606
>>46776968
>>46777056
>>46777630
hahaha the way that they have so completely squandered the goodwill they had is so incredible if i hadn't watched it start to finish i wouldn't believe it

what a bunch of asshats

>>46780289
not even relevant because it's only being sold to the public to cover costs to pay for publishing because so many people asked for their money back

this is why they can't deliver to backers first like they promised
>>
>>46780182
Not at Ess 4, i.e. with brawl supernal, then it just requires any ranged attacks, IIRC.
>>
File: Single Point Stylists.jpg (78 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
Single Point Stylists.jpg
78 KB, 500x420
looking at SINGLE-O POINT-SAMA SHINES-U INTO THE VOID-O style and its double attacks and Dex-to-damage stuff.

it very obviously wants you to make lots of high-value, high-risk decisive attacks with all its stuff but...what happens if you just don't?

per the rules, at some arbitrary point of being crashed, opponents just auto-lose. per the much more relevant rules, a crashed opponent is not much of a threat if you're launching two withering a round to their one and half their stuff isn't working because it's either perilous or because decisive.

what stops you from just being all-withering all-the-time as your fighting style, with SINGRU POINT-O or any other MA style?
>>
>>46781119
Crash isn't indefinite, and never making a decisive attack means never inflicting a wound penalty.
>>
>>46774966

Not First Age, but I'm thinking of making one of my Dawn's previous incarnations be a south western mercenary commander who kept his operations very low-key. He was a tactical genius, but conducted his operations very, very quietly, to the point that he's just a minor footnote of history books (if present at all) and only noteworthy for a few 'minor' engagements.

Those 'minor' engagements were in fact world-shaking battles at the edges of the world and civilization, waged against the fae and the dead. The only records of his actions (before he was finally tracked down and wiped by a Chosen of Endings) was a log written by one of his soldiers.

The current Dawn dude learned about this through past-incarnation memories and digging up the apocryphal records in a library. He's actually rather studious and cerebral for a firewand+bayonet murderman.
>>
>>46781119
I don't like the rule that you can hit a crashed opponent for initiative. If they're in crash, you already have such an advantage over them that you can't get any more. I think that crashing an opponent should have a bigger effect, but hitting an already crashed opponent should have no effect.
>>
>>46776493
Literally nothing that guy listed makes sense
>>
Does a character need to know their opponent's intimacies to act upon them? Can he make an argument without actually knowing them, but still supported by them?
>>
>>46781119
The rule isn't that they get removed from the fight for being crashed for too long, it's that they get removed from the fight when they cannot serve any useful purpose other than providing more initiative for beating on them.

Nonstop withering works fine against someone who couldn't challenge you anyway, but a Solar with Melee Supernal could kill you with just the init from resetting.
>>
>>46780124
Anyone care to chime in?
I can run it by my ST, but I'd rather have the opinion from a group of people with far more exalted experience.
>>
>>46781538

No; if you see a monk you can make a social influence predicated on the Immaculate Faith's tenets.

If his faith isn't as strong as you hoped it was, or he doesn't have such an Intimacy at all (or one that doesn't support your argument in particular, such as a monk who rejects certain aspects of the Faith), he can reject the influence as unacceptable.
>>
>>46781563

Your ST/group is the only person whose opinion matters, and trying to bully him with "BUT THE INTERNET SAYS IT WAS COOL" is retarded.
>>
>>46781635
I don't intend to screencap this as justification to my ST, it's for my own peace of mind that I'm not being a special snowflake with a terrible backstory.
>>
>>46781728
You are doing a special snowflake with a terrible backstory, but that is the nature of tabletop RPGs.

Avoid Mary Sue and it might be OK.
>>
>>46781902
I'm really not good at roleplaying, I thought of that backstory to explain why they're so old, but not from the first age, why they've been at the edge of civilisation for hundreds of years, why they feel guilt about failing their old circle, how they might be able to overcome that and find a new duty in protecting their new circle and stop running away.
If that's Mary Sue, I'll take your word and change it.
>>
>>46782000
>If that's Mary Sue, I'll take your word and change it.
It's tabletop. Your audience is whomever's at the table. If they like the cut of your jib, it's fine. If they don't, you need to dial it back a bit.
>>
>>46782000

Mary Sue is less about the particulars and more about one all important thing: how Right is the character?

Not just in a factual sense (though this can include it), but in terms of blame, bad opinions, etc.

If the character is completely Right about all things, they're definitely a Mary Sue. e.g. there's really nothing in their backstory where they're significantly at fault (or if there is, it's immediately justified by something--if only in the author's mind), there's no time where they were simply pig-headed and stupid about something they should have known, etc.

Good characters are Right about enough that they're sympathetic and there's reason to care about them, but not everything.

On the upside, true blue Mary Sue is almost impossible to do in an actual game unless your ST is complicit, since that level of Rightness usually involves the behavior of others, not just the character.
>>
>>46782000

>Would it make sense to have 4 first age solars and a lunar during the shogunate, fleeing the post-usurpation clean up?

He was alive during the the Usurpation? He'd be around 1,500 years old then, wouldn't he? That'd make him insanely powerful. Also, it wouldn't make sense.

What you could do is create some sort of long lived god-blood that Exalted in the last year or so (as standard for PCs fresh out of chargen.) but if he's marked for Wyld Hunts then you'd need to explain how he avoided them (and maybe even Sidereal Death Squads) for so long.
>>
>>46782118

Or you could have a newb Solar from the First Age who was Pressed Beyond the Veil of Time, or some such, and has only just emerged into the world.

Controls the power level, but ramps the special snowflakiness up to 11.
>>
>>46782118
>That'd make him insanely powerful
Okay, so...little bit of a twist. What if I told you he spent basically all of that time without training or fighting a lot of demons or anything, just touching scaly tail?
>>
>>46780256

Spirit weapons is no longer a thing in 3e
>>
>>46782204

>What if I told you he spent basically all of that time without training or fighting a lot of demons or anything

I'm not buying it, but I'm not the one you should be trying to sell it too. Ask your ST.
>>
>>46780753
RichT was being pretty reasonable and all Sanctaphranx's complaints boiled down to "my fee fees are hurt"

Dude is retarded
>>
>>46782118
>>46782194
Actually those were just their original circle mates, the PC is the post-usurpation newly exalted Night.
Also, would it make more sense to have the circle be post-usurpation too, but older, to avoid all the mess of first age knowledge and the big usurpation secret?

>>46782204
I'm keeping them at essence 1 because despite traveling secret hero stuff, physical training, and surviving harsh edges of creation stuff, I don't think it's fair to give them a bump for that and it's best to keep them in line with the younger PCs.
No tail touching, sorry.
>>
>>46781497

Nothing?

The kickstarter was done poorly though.
>>
>>46782286

>the PC is the post-usurpation newly exalted Night.

How post is "post-usurpation?" Remember, that shit happened 1,500 years before the return of the Solars?
>>
>>46769782
>cast mark over the hair
this triggers my autism
>>
>>46782353
Shogunate, maybe just before scarlet empire, before, during or after the balorian crusade or contagion.
Or it could be a little after the scarlet empress takes over.
Mainly I just wanted several hundred years on them, but less than say a thousand.
I was wondering what you guys would think is the most appropriate timeline.
>>
>>46782440
It burns through whatever is covering it.
>>
>>46782204
Solaris gain essence just from being alive long enough. Even if all he did was tap DAT ass for a few hundred years he'd almost certainly be essence 5 by now. He just slowed Dow his progression not stopped it.
>>
>>46782440

You know any caste mark bright enough to shine explicitly shines bright enough to be visible through a helmet, right? The hair wouldn't block it.
>>
File: 1440192388474.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1440192388474.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1080
>>46782250
Seriously, Sanctaphrax is a fucking faggot. The "rape-ghosts" were not rape-ghosts and the fact that they had to address it at all just highlighted that 1) the general Exalted forum community is fucking illiterate and has never read the word "ravished" except in the dictionary they all hastily consulted, which I submit as empirical proof that there are no women in the Exalted fandom because even fucking Mother Theresa has had a look through her mom's pink-covers

and 2) we live in an age that is honestly too fucking retarded for them to ever publish Abyssals 2E. Should you go out of your way to upset people or shove sexual content where it doesn't belong? Absolutely not. But the LOVER CLAD IN THE RAIMENT OF TEARS is not a goddamn breach of human rights by existing as a fictional construct.

Morke was always an asshole and Holden turned into one right around finishing the Sidereal errata (probably when EX3 development started). Yeah, they need a forum-muzzle. That's fine, and I don't doubt that there have efforts to reign them in less authoritatively than they obviously need.

The community is also an asshole, though, they did in FACT turn just as bitter and nasty as the developers, and "this post" that S-fuck linked was completely appropriate and complete necessary. It would have been great to see the devs held to the same standard, but let's be real, they're pressured artists who bit off more than they could chew interacting, it's basically an ontological truth that they're going to be shit-dicks when criticized and a gag order works way better than hoping human nature will prevail - in both directions.

The rest is just...whimpering. I know it's tyranny and tyranny is despicable, but I think if they DID muzzle the devs, get an official PR rep, and just start blanket-banning anyone who's got a garbage mouth everyone would be better off for it. It almost works for RPGnet and RPGnet has like a thousand times the volume and dedication of assholes.
>>
>>46782477
What would you say is the age limit for an essence 1 solar coward that ran away and did nothing?
>>
>>46782456

>Or it could be a little after the scarlet empress takes over.

The Empress disappeared the same time the Solars returned. The Bull of the North Exalted before she disappeared because his shard didn't get stuck in the prison. But really you should ask yourself "What's the difference between a year, a decade, a century, and a millennium?" Especially if you didn't learn anything.
>>
>>46782549
Yeah, that's a reasonable question.
I guess I wanted it to be at least a century or 2, a long time above a mortal lifetime, being alone and on the run.
>>
>>46782642

Again I said at >>46782118 that you could easily have all that before you Exalted if you played a race of long lived beings, or as a mortal charcter who made a pact with a powerful being in exchange for a long life (and Sorcery). You could also play a character who can recall memories from non-Exalted lives, which would explain why you've learn nothing in so long; you HAVE learned, build you need to recondition your body every new life, effectively making you your own mentor. But the big one is "How did this character surive Creation for so long if the Wyld Hunt is after him?" Did he leave Creation? How did he survive the Wyld/Underworld/Demon City?
>>
>>46776968
Feel free.

>>46782291
It bugs me that he cites Plague of Hats saying Holden shit-talks people in private when Plague keeps on shitting hard on people for liking Rolemaster and other shit too much all the time in grognards.txt

>>46782519
Something Awful was always a hypocritical shit-pile, given their complete inability to own up to stuff like Lowtax furiously defending the loli porn from a hentai game hosted on his front page.
>>
>>46782831
From what I've heard, Plague of Hats went fucking retarded. He just vanished, dropped his obligations and went on SA to bitch about the devs and he complains about the devs bitching about other people?
>>
I wish Rich Thomas wasn't wading into this. All the jerk about OP devs aside, he's always been pretty stand-up (if kind of obviously a generation or so behind the cool kids, his blog is 100% aging uncle) and I feel like he probably privately wonders what he's doing in life when what he's doing is keeping dreams alive. He has to work with the dev tools (aha, IT WORKS ON TWO LEVELS) he's been given.

I appreciate the at-cost POD, which is the only thing I'll be buying (I backed for a dollar). Not to punish OP but so that I'll have the budget room to specifically support their other projects, the ones by developers I trust and respect. I'm not boycotting Exalted, but I want to see them do fucking better than this. ANYWAY SCION 2016 GET HYPE
>>
>>46782519
>Seriously, Sanctaphrax is a fucking faggot. The "rape-ghosts" were not rape-ghosts
The biggest outrage queens are, in point of fact, the developers themselves. I am quite cognizant of the definitions of 'ravish' and also recognize that it is indeed a euphemism for rape, even if that is not necessarily the best meaning. Which is why a good editor would probably recommend changing it.

>Morke was always an asshole and Holden turned into one right around finishing the Sidereal errata (probably when EX3 development started). Yeah, they need a forum-muzzle. That's fine, and I don't doubt that there have efforts to reign them in less authoritatively than they obviously need.
I believe they were, at one point, told to shut the fuck up. Sadly that doesn't appear to have stuck firmly.

>The community is also an asshole, though, they did in FACT turn just as bitter and nasty as the developers
I'm shocked. Shocked and dismayed to learn that a community that finds itself centered around a pair of douchebags swiftly becomes toxic.

>It almost works for RPGnet and RPGnet has like a thousand times the volume and dedication of assholes.
People still go to RPG.net? Color me surprised.
>>
>>46782811
Yeah, I think any of that extended-life stuff is a bit too messy and special snowflake. I just wanted a solar a few centuries old that didn't mess with first age past life knowledge shit.
And them being exalted gives more justification for living that long on the run, than if they were a tweaked human.
They have Integrity-Protecting Prana for the wyld, a few dots of survival, a bunch of athletics and supernal stealth.
>>
>>46782932
He quit a project mid-way with zero prior notice, after a few months of being impossible to contact. That was enough to make sure he'll never be working on an OPP project again, and you can tell how forgiving RichT is otherwise given the post here >>46776968
>>
>>46782965
>I'm shocked. Shocked and dismayed to learn that a community that finds itself centered around a pair of douchebags swiftly becomes toxic.

Hahaha, are you seriously implying the community was a fucking field of flowers prior to Holden and Morke?

Shit, at least the game works now, compared to back then.

Ahahaha
>>
>>46782978
What even set him off? Did he ever say?
>>
>>46782965
>Which is why a good editor would probably recommend changing it.
There is no reason to change it, the implied meaning of both forceful erotica and also rape, is completly intended and also completly okay, because powers derived from a Deathlord, do not need to be ethical.
And the LOVER CLAD IN RAIMENTS OF TEARS, who is all about empty hedonism, can stand to have a rape charm or two.
>>
>>46783026
He said it was rape-ghosts, except he also did the layout work for the Abyssals preview and didn't raise issues then, so...

I guess he just really, really likes that internet forum?
>>
>>46783026

If I had to guess Hatewheel.
>>
>>46783033
>reminder that the author of the WTF D&D article bitching about it quit being an admin on SA in a huff after people wouldn't stop being mad that the site hired a convicted child molester
>>
>>46783008
>Hahaha, are you seriously implying the community was a fucking field of flowers prior to Holden and Morke?
I make no allegations about the quality of the community prior to. But I also express no surprise about toxicity begetting toxicity.
>>
>>46783110
It was precisely as toxic as it was before, only people were bitching at Neph or John Chambers instead of Morke and Holden.

It was this toxic since 1E.
>>
>>46782968

>Yeah, I think any of that extended-life stuff is a bit too messy and special snowflake

Are you a Sorcerer? Workings, and deals with devils. Are you rich? Buy Age Staving Cordials? Are you a thief? Steal Age Staving Cordials (note: this must be done daily IIRC).

Seriously though, pick up Sorcery using Bargain With Mara. Infernal Nobility could be all you need to survive in Malfeas. Workings again for long life. Realm knows who you work for which is why you are hunted in Creation but safe in Malfeas. No snowflake bullshit, no centuries old Solar who doesn't do or learn shit. Sorcery affords them decent amount of power, and so on.

But hey, if your STs okays what you suggest, then don't let any BadWrongFun faggot on 4chan give you shit.
>>
>>46783033
>There is no reason to change it, the implied meaning of both forceful erotica and also rape, is completly intended and also completly okay, because powers derived from a Deathlord, do not need to be ethical.
>And the LOVER CLAD IN RAIMENTS OF TEARS, who is all about empty hedonism, can stand to have a rape charm or two.
I suppose it depends on how you're trying to offend the audience.

Again, given that Holden and Morke are the two largest outrage queens and SJWs involved, it's amusing that they would think it was okay to equip anyone with rape charms at this juncture.

"It's just a game!" rings pretty hollow after you've spent four years berating people for not being 100% on board with foxkin rights on Twitter. While, I'm sure, you were hard at work delivering Exalted.

Mhm.
>>
>>46783162
I'm not saying the Exalted devs aren't hypocritical assholes.
I'm saying there is nothing wrong with rape ghosts existing as disctinct part of their specific narrative nieche.
>>
>>46783162
Eh. They're pretty okay with media being crude or offensive even if they don't like GamerGaters or whatever.

But that's pretty much what OPP is, entirely, and it's smarter if they toe the line.
>>
>>46783152
Yeah, I'm aware of those options for non-exalts, I just needed my character to have an old circle and to've been exalted for those few hundred years.
I appreciate everyone's help, I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>46783147
Jon Chung won Exalted 2.0.
>>
File: vampire_by_aditya777-d4sptcg.jpg (130 KB, 666x939) Image search: [Google]
vampire_by_aditya777-d4sptcg.jpg
130 KB, 666x939
>>46782965
>I am quite cognizant of the definitions of 'ravish'
No, you're not, no one is "cognizant" who isn't a slavering autist, and that would just invalidate the rest of your post, wouldn't it?

But you're still SOME kind of retarded, because - "rape is okay" anon aside - the best and MOST COMMON definition is that thing literally like nine out of ten women have their vaginas turn into microwaves canned peaches over, which is the bodice-ripper definition, a CONSENSUAL sexual encounter where there is probably a "soft" no but it is always clear that the man understands it's a soft no. To be clear, this is a FANTASY, and while it's a fantasy that sometimes comes true that's just tangential to Exalted. Exalted is also fantasy.

Only neckbeards - male neckbeards, mostly - would read rape into the particular Charm in question. It's just sexy ghosts being aggressive in a sexy way. The sex-to-live zombie was more disturbing, but also not rape.

Look, has Exalted historically had its Tumblr-problematic un-trigger-warned actual garbage? Yes. Lillun was legitimately disgusting, and while I understand there's a comic book market for that and the writer was a comic book artist, it should never have gotten past editing. These aren't sins to be lightly forgiven, either. Fucked up shit happened and people who left over it were mostly justified, you shouldn't stick with a game that makes you uncomfortable or contains art you are legitimately ashamed to have in your house.

But Onyx Path is pretty fucking far-left liberal with a LOT of attention to feelings and fears, and as much of a pair of shit-spewing HOLES as Holden and Morke can be, "rape apologists" is not amidst their list of personal failings. Abyssal 2E preview was 100% fine and did not need editing.

>shocked and dismayed
It's not really warranted to sink to their level as a community, but even if it WAS, an official effort to improve conditions is still fine.

>People still go to RPG.net?
Yes, all of them.
>>
>>46783427
Different anon, somehow I'd managed to completely forget about that definition of ravish until you'd brought it up. I don't know why I felt the need to mention that, but there you go.

Also
>Abyssal 2E preview was 100% fine and did not need editing.
>>
>>46782965
I still dont get why people were upset over rape ghosts. Like abyssals are almost explicitly the bad guy splat and the lover is most DEFIANTLY a bad guy, so having charms based on them that do bad things seems reasonable.
>>
>>46776493

Never posted here before, thought I do lurk occasionally.

>>46782250

Of course it boils down to feelings. That's what the thread's about. Frustration and disappointment.

>>46782831

I'm not a Plague of Hats fan either, to be honest. But if he's telling the truth about how Holden acted in chat - and I expect he is - then that makes Holden a pretty lousy person.

Reflects badly on PoH too, of course; he listened.

>>46782519

The preview itself was only mildly creepy. Watching Holden try to defend it was much worse.
>>
>>46783619
>Reflects badly on PoH too, of course; he listened.

It's not just that, it's the fact that he does the same exact shit /constantly/ and in public, with the justification that well, I'm a much better person than they are!
>>
>>46783619
I agree with most of the stuff you said in that post. From you and others, it's nice to see them face some harsh criticisms to keep them to a higher standard even now that it's being released.
>>
>>46783619
I have to ask, what is your beef with the Abyssals preview? Because as far as I saw, during all of that, it was just the usual blowhards getting triggered, and jumping on anything the devs say to get angrier.

Like when everyone lost it over the Nibovian wife in Numenera, and so on.
>>
>>46783708

PoH might air dirty laundry, but as far as I know he's never spent hours calling someone I like a retard and mocking them with silly voices.
>>
>>46783785
No, he totally does.

Like when he made that youtube video mocking some nerd's fanfiction.
>>
>>46783777

Can you imagine a non-awkward non-creepy way to use Frozen Watchfire Embrace in a serious game?

I can't.

Also, when I read stuff like that, I wonder if the writers are building up to the second coming of the Phylactery-Womb. Exalted has a bad history with sex stuff.
>>
>>46783785
Plague of Hats has done everything he's bitched about Holden doing. The only difference is that Holden did it for longer while PoH did it in public.

I don't see any way that PoH comes out better from this. Bitching about someone in privacy is a lot different from slandering them all over the internet.
>>
>>46783839

Well it's possible I just haven't seen the worst of him (yet). But I don't know what youtube video you're talking about.
>>
>>46783931
>non-creepy
>Abyssals
I dunno, guy, maybe Abyssals are allowed to be creepy? Maybe it's kinda their thing?
>>
>>46783931
The ghosts make innuendo and suggestion, or shape themselves into the likeness of the Abyssal, much like how in the Hunchback of Notre Dame Judge Frollo was freaking out over the images of Esmerelda in the fire. Don't get explicit, and if you must, fade to black.

So, yeah, it's actually really easy if you aren't trying to work yourself up.
>>
>>46783975
I don't think the goal is to make Plague of Hats seem better.
>>
>>46783147

Chambers was so much fucking worse. As bad as holden is he at least explains things and knows how the system runs. Chambers had no fucking clue how it worked and never spoke to the fanbase period.
>>
>>46783990
He did a "dramatic reading" of some guy's Zero no Tsukaima erotic fan-fic, for the express purpose of mocking the writer and getting his friends to pile in.

Which uh, okay, it's someone's erotic fan-fic and that's naturally hilarious, but you're intentionally going before all the internet and saying "LOOK. LOOK AT THIS STUPID FUCKER, AND HATE HIM."
>>
>>46783785
People actually like Inugami?
>>
You asked why I found it (mildly) creepy and I told you.

But if you want to re-fight an ancient flame-war, you're gonna have to find someone else to do it with.
>>
>>46784080
Yeah Chambers was basically mostly about just making something that looked cool enough on the surface to get people to buy it. His real love baby was Scion, which was birthed by him taking his dick and jamming it deep into the Ex2 mechanics.
>>
>>46784113
This is 4chan, dude, beating a dead horse is what we just do.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.