[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: StarterSet_2[1].jpg (832 KB, 1200x1504) Image search: [Google]
StarterSet_2[1].jpg
832 KB, 1200x1504
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

complexity edition: do you think classes should be simple, complex, or have options for both?
>>
>>46648383
My "Drow" aren't even really Elves anymore, too much inbreding and magic to call that.
The Underdark is effectively Hell for the Human race's myths (but the 9 circles are actually hell)
>>
>do you think classes should be simple, complex, or have options for both?
They should be simple but cover lots of ground. I.e. less classes, less specialization.
>>
>>46648351
Options for both is best IMO, hence why fighter and rogue are the best classes in the game
>>
>>46648412
That's just the rush of victory giving him a second wind anon. Nothing supernatural, what are you, crazy?

>>46648452
I don't really see the complicated option for fighters. Battlemaster is kind of meh, both mechanically, and functionally.
>>
>>46648351
My players want to play a sandbox game, but dislike random encounters. What system could I use that would allow me to respond to unpredicted player behaviour, other than complete improvisation?
>>
>>46648462
A battlemaster was never going to be as complex as a wizard, because the core system for how attacks and damage work in D&D just isn't built around complicated principles of fencing and other martial arts. It's fine for what it is.
>>
What do you guys think of an int-based half caster class focused on support? A leader type that could fill the roles of the old warlord and rogue depending on subclass

Int instead of CHA because it does not get a lot of love, and this guy would be more "strategy and tactics" than "hey, you, do things better"

Like his features would be buffs that are assignable on a short rest (strategy) and minior healing/reactions (tactics)

Subclasses would be:
Warlord, a heavy armor guy with extra attack and defensive buffing

Infiltrator, a light armor, shifty debuff-the-enemy type with stuff like expertise
>>
File: concerned man.jpg (14 KB, 236x265) Image search: [Google]
concerned man.jpg
14 KB, 236x265
>>46648531
>My players want to play a sandbox game, but dislike random encounters.
Are you sure your players understand what a sandbox game is?
>>
>>46648531
I guess you could make a finely detailed overland map for the whole region the players are in, with everything mapped right down to each monster lair and the migratory patterns of bandits and wandering monsters. But the players might not notice anything functionally different from just having random encounters.
>>
>>46648539
It didn't stop people from trying in 2e and with less panache in 3e.

The supplements for Red Steel are still on the wizards website. The master attack for each school was basically "hey, you know what would be awesome? Let's give Fighters Quivering Palm as a proficiency"
>>
>>46648560
>>46648572
Yes, this is my problem with it. I think that they expect everything to tie into the big picture in the end despite also expecting to be able to have the freedom to roam around and not be railroaded.

A way to do it would be to tie a small quest or story to every single possible encounter in the region and make things interconnected that way, but I am not sure if I am willing to put that much prep into the game when they will not even experience the overwhelming majority of that content.
>>
>>46648617
>The master attack for each school was basically "hey, you know what would be awesome? Let's give Fighters Quivering Palm as a proficiency"
If you gave all martials the same options or equivalent options, that sounds like it would be awesome.
>>
>>46648624
If players aren't free to ignore the main quest, it's not a sandbox. All you can do is include some big problems in the game world and show the effects of those problems, but the players are still free to ignore them if they want.
>>
>>46648426
My drow are usually the "base" version (chaotic evil spider worshippers), but with the caveat that their civilization has finally reached the internal tipping point and is beginning to finally tear itself apart at the seams faster than Lolth can hold it together.

Mostly this translates out to drow commoners finally rising up against the noble houses and introducing French Revolution-style reforms and vengeance on the noble houses. The noble houses mostly either find themselves falling, siding with the commoners and ingratiating themselves into the New Order, or fleeing to the surface realms.

The ones that flee to the surface realms basically try and take up residence in Elven kingdoms and officially repudiate worship of Lolth, but secretly tend to continue it anyway, and have a long-term goal of subverting the Elven kingdoms to their rule. Which probably won't actually happen; they're too few in number.

The ones that remain behind and ingratiate themselves with the commoners, meanwhile, have to give up some of their power but in return have a much better chance of actually gaining control of the New Order, theoretically.

Of course, no Drow French Revolution analogue would be complete without the gradual rise of a Drow Napoleon...
>>
>>46648462
>>46648462
Battlemaster is midpoint complexity, with EK being high (for the class) and champ being low

You get 3 varying degrees of complexity, not at all complex compared to say, a warlock or sorcerer, but it offers a bit of a range. Same with rogue

Low: Assassin (hide and stab)
Mid: Thief, Swashbuckler, Mastermind (use tricks and positioning)
High: Arcane Trickster (spells and spell accessories)
>>
>>46648624
The solution is to GET GEWD at hiding your rails, as well as making rails so enticing your players will jump on them entirely of their own free will.
>>
>>46648643
They did once. It was called 4e and it was indeed awesome
>>
>>46648693
No, they didn't. 4e was conspicuously free of save-or-dies.
>>
>>46648643
I think any class that could get fighting styles (so all warrior and rogue classes, including Bard, possibly scimitar Druids) could take them, it's just that they took WP and you had to get them tier by tier.

If I made fightan schools like that in 5e I would probably make them a feat for each school, granting leveled abilities, or specifically manoeuvers bound to the superiority die.
>>
>>46648531
There's a pretty good resource for designing hex based sandboxes in this thread on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/itmejp/comments/2idf33/west_marches_resources/
>>
>>46648667
Fair enough. I wish you could get a 4th point of complextity, being the same as high point wizard.

This is why warlock is the perfect class. You can play it like the average fighter: I hit it with my eldritch blast. That's perfectly acceptable. But you can also play it as a fairly liberal with spells wizard.
>>
>>46648701
I meant the "give all martials equivalent options" part, but true on the SoD stuff.
>>
>>46648790
For like twelve seconds, until it runs out of spells.
>>
>>46648802
You can get 3 cantrips from any class, and you have the most damaging cantrip in the game, meaning you get to select entirely for variety and utility. Moreover, there are invocations that function as spell slots.

Warlocks da best man.
>>
>>46648850
> Moreover, there are invocations that function as spell slots.

You poor bastard, reread them. They USE one of your spell slots.

Why anyone thought this was OK I'll never know.
>>
>>46648971
Holy shit I never realized that before

All those invocations are fucking useless then
>>
>>46648971
>>46649090
Some require a spell slot. Some don't.
>>
>>46648790
>>46648790
That's impossible though, if you work out a lot or do a lot of acrobatic shit you will never be able to do more complex shit than a wizard, whose entire purpose is to make shit complicated, it just doesn't work out

Unless you start getting into weaboo fightan magic territory

Also, there is a lot of creativity that goes into being a martial, you can't cast spells, or at least not a lot of them, but you can flip tables hard enough to do damage, you can smash enemies against eachother, you can use human shields and running tackles and smash heads on the floor
>>
>>46649180
>Unless you start getting into weaboo fightan magic territory

Right, what's the problem?
>>
>Patron bonus spells work like every other class that gets bonus spells: They're known for free, instead of just being added as options.

>The "you can cast x once per long rest, using a spell slot" invocations no longer use spell slots

>Bladelocks get thirsting blade for free

Does this at least put warlocks close to par with other casters, without removing the uniqueness or making them overpowered?
>>
>>46649180
>but you can flip tables hard enough to do damage
>you can smash enemies against eachother
What are the rules for pushing someone into someone else's space anyways?
>you can use human shields
Is it really worth your time, though?
>and running tackles
Grappling after charging. Ho-hum.
>and smash heads on the floor
Yes, you can deal unarmed damage to someone that you are grappling.

Come now brother, embrace hitting things with a stick for the wonderful thing that it is now.
>>
>>46648531
That sounds pretty similar to my game.

I started with a timeline and six headlines based on the different areas of the continent (N, NE, NW, SE, SW, far S). From there I let them do anything they wanted and let the world keep on truckin'. Every 3 weeks or so in game time, I'd give them a Global Update. They didn't have much effect on the world until the NW storyline ended up crashing into them and then they screwed over some guys that had an effect on the SE storyline, which leaves nothing in the way of the N storyline (Giants Move South) from invading their castle.
>>
>>46649274
It kind of makes them an even better dipping class, but IMO doesn't really incentivize going long in warlock.

You need to give them more interesting/useful invocations at higher levels, and that solves pretty much everything.

>>46649180
>>46649299
The bad side about this line of reasoning is that a wizard can eventually do all of those things too, while a purely martial class will never have access to the utility provided by 6 level spells and above.
>>
How about this for a fighting style:

Brawling
While both of your hads are free you gain a +1 bonus to AC and expertise in the Athletics skill. In addition, you gain a bonus to damage on unarmed strikes equal to your proficiency bonus.
>>
>>46649274
Do people really think warlocks need any kind of boost other than maybe bladelock? Hell no!
>>
>>46649355
They need a reason for people to be a warlock past level 3. Besides how cool they are.
>>
>>46649323
>while a purely martial class will never have access to the utility provided by 6 level spells and above.
Who cares, though? We're relevant in combat now and spells per day are limited so skills and background abilities are relevant for utility. If you're in a good group, getting upset that you can't cast sixth level spells is like getting upset that your buddy has a truck and you don't despite your buddy using his truck to help you out free of charge.
>>
>>46649299
>What are the rules for pushing someone into someone else's space anyways?
Improvising damage, it's in the dmg

>Is it really worth your time, though?
Yes it is, human shields have a chance of being hit by enemies, both wasting the attack and doing the damage to the poor sod

>Grappling after charging. Ho-hum.
Grappling, shoving and/or attacking after a full movement would get benefits at my table, it's called rewarding creativity

>Yes, you can deal unarmed damage to someone that you are grappling.
Except it's not an unarmed attack, but improvised damage, again on the DMG and can leave a target dazed if your DM is good
>>
>>46649398
Tell me anon, when has anyone ever bought or been persuaded by the "it's a cooperative game" argument on issues of class balance?
>>
>>46649323
But they can't though

A wizard will spend all his ASIs on int and dump everything else
>>
>>46649398
Basically the reasoning is that while everyone else has fun and interesting tools your stuck with the blandest of bland. Even if you go EK your still kind of screwed because you have too few slots to actually do much with them
Also with skills you may as well not bother as the Rogue/Bard have that covered and the bards got spells too.
>>
>>46649469
Only the neckbeardiest of autistic grognards get mad about their completely skewed perceptions of balance
>>
>>46649459
>Yes it is, human shields have a chance of being hit by enemies, both wasting the attack and doing the damage to the poor sod
Or you could just murder the poor sod, run up to the bastard shooting at you, murder him too and get the combat over with quicker.
>Except it's not an unarmed attack
That's just your opinion.
>>
>>46648531
Consider: Their request might not be for 'not random' but more of a request for 'more cohesiveness'

I don't know anything about your group so I'm just guessing they aren't complete retards and know that 'no random encounters in a sandbox' is an odd request. What they are trying to express is maybe 'hey GM, we just fought zombies over there, and now we have drow over here, wtf is going on?'.

Consider, looking at your sandbox and name a theme. Then divide it into regions. Each region is experiencing the theme in a different way. Each region can have its own encounter tables which still let you roll randomly but now you can improv a detail into it which ties to the region (which fits the theme).

How you implement this is all up to you. I just showed up to say you probably have a communication gap. They don't expect you to spend a lifetime doing prep for a million possible actions. They just don't feel anything pulling a story together and aren't sure how to ask for it...
>>
>>46649483
You're telling me that fighters don't get backgrounds and skills now?
>>
>>46649483
>being mad that while all the nerds get nerd shit all you have is being /fit/ as fuck

Come on now
>>
>>46649506
I wouldn't say I'm mad anon, or that my players are mad. Just that none of us really enjoy playing martial classes, because you can literally do everything as a caster, and nothing (compared to all the possibilities of a caster) as a martial.

>>46649481
The druid in my group was doing pretty well getting into the thick of things while also being able to solve tons of problems with spells.

Fiend Bladelocks can do an okay job acting as a caster and a martial.

That sword singing one too. Then there are spells like enhance ability or polymorph that just sort of laugh at stat requirements.
>>
How do I deal with a DM that seems to like punishing spells he deems "too good" on the fly whenever they seem to push things strongly in the PCs favor. He does shit like using DM powers to make their effects nearly useless.

He hates spells like sleep so he decides that as a free action the guy who didn't get put to sleep wakes up the others by shouting really loudly.

And it's not just spells. Once played as a monk and after using flurry of blows he decided that I had to roll a constitution check, upon failing I took damage because I hurt my hand while punching.

It's a pretty antagonistic relationship. I've taken to DMing recently, but he's the only other person willing to DM. And I'd like to be a PC some time.
>>
How would you cast Curse of Strahd: The Movie, or TV-series?
>>
>>46649533
So first you complain that all you do is hit with stick and then you complain that the alternative is not worth the oportunity cost of straight up murdering a motherfucker with your big ass sword?

Ok man, I get it, sometimes people just gotta complain
>>
>>46649624
Too bad. Embrace being a permadm. the bitterness will go away, with time.
>>
>>46649658
>So first you complain that all you do is hit with stick
You must be thinking of someone else, because I like hitting things with a stick.
>>
Anybody have tips for running Lost Mines of Phandelver? It'll be my first time DM'ing and it'll be most of the players' first time playing. How can I make sure that everyone has a good time?
>>
>>46649624
That's a shit DM
Enemies can totally wake up their sleeping friends, but it would at least cost an action and even then it would be to wake up a single one of his allies

The flurry of blows thing is total bullshit though
>>
>>46649689
>How can I make sure that everyone has a good time
Order pizza and bring beer
>>
>>46649688
Then enjoy, guy
I'm all for people having fun
Have a
>>
>>46649714
Have a +1 stick of hitting*
>>
>>46649698
>Enemies can totally wake up their sleeping friends, but it would at least cost an action and even then it would be to wake up a single one of his allies

Yeah, and I know this. And the players were all operating under this assumption. Which is why when it happened we were just like... really?
And yeah, after the FoB thing that's when I volunteered to DM.

My hope is I can model the kind of game I like to play through DMing for him. But I guess we'll see.
>>
>>46649689
Standard first time DM advice:

>roll behind a screen if in real life. Ignore result, and just select the most appropriate dramatically. You're only rolling to give your players the illusion that the game isn't rigged in their favor.
>memorize basic rules, but don't bother with anything else
>if anyone has a rules question, just make up whatever makes sense at the time, and then review later.
>combat doesn't end when the last person dies. Combat ends when people run screaming for their lives as the PCs wash over them. Don't let combat drag on too much past the point where the PCs have solved the fight.
>set up puzzles to solve, but don't even try to think of a solution. Just describe random details and let the players think of the right solution a few times. Go with the 2nd or 3rd thing they attempt, unless the first is really good.
>>
>>46649703
Already planning on bringing beer, but ordering a pizza is a good idea.

On the topic of running the game itself, how do I keep things freeform but still focused?

I don't want to be a railroading piece of shit like >>46649624

What are good ways to come up with scenarios on the fly if the players go off the beaten path?
>>
>>46649751
what are some good examples of puzzles to try?
>>
>>46649751
>fudging rolls
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Only do this when it makes sense
>>
>>46649751
>>roll behind a screen if in real life. Ignore result, and just select the most appropriate dramatically. You're only rolling to give your players the illusion that the game isn't rigged in their favor.
Except that's terrible advice, because most of the time failure isn't any more dramatic than success.
>>
Okay, this is very incomplete (only 2/4 familiar options are even marginally statted right now), but here you go. I appreciate any criticism you can send my way, though I won't necessarily agree with it, I will give it a lot of thought (and probably agree with it).

This is the witch portion of what is now a larger spooky themed homebrew project I'd like to do. It is for the warlock class, and includes options for vanillia warlocks as well as a witch patron archetype. Pretty much the only thing exclusive to the witch archetype are the witch class features. none of the invocations, familiars, or pacts are exclusive, though they are hopefully thematically resonant with people's many and varied ideas of witchcraft.
>>
>>46649762
>On the topic of running the game itself, how do I keep things freeform but still focused?

Do you know classes/simple backgrounds of the PC's?
Come up with some simple quest and a reason that they'd all go along with it. You've played a lot of RPGs I'm sure. Steal something.
If for some reason your players wanna be dicks and ignore the rumors of the haunted house (or whatever you come up with), then have a random terrorist event occur in whatever city they live in. Something that's nearly impossible to ignore.
Basically, a few adventuring hooks are a good thing to have prepared.

You'll be fine. Just don't do bullshit DM things when your monsters aren't as strong as you liked. So long as your players are having fun, and you enjoy the experience of taking them through this story, you're doing your job right.
>>
File: smug.jpg (16 KB, 480x378) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
16 KB, 480x378
>>46649873
>Bippity Boppity Boo
>>
>>46648667
>Warlock
>more complex than EK or BM
At least the Fighters have choices of which attack to make in combat rather than just "Hex + Eldritch Blast" every time.
>>
>>46649873
Also, does anyone have experience using NaturalCrit to generate PDFs? For some reason, I can't get it to generate properly, so I'm having to save as an image and then convert to a PDF, which is making it all one page and reducing quality.

>>46649918
I'll probably have to remove the disney references at some point.
>>
>>46649873
>That lv1 feature
Is that an almost word for word copy of cthulhufag's Nyarlatothep pact level 10 feature
>>
>>46649580
>You can do everything as a caster
You do realize that the theoretical wizard who knows every spell is basically impossible in 5e unless it's a Monty Haul, and in that kind of game your martial is a christmas tree to make the average 3.5 character envious while the wizard is wasting all his magic item finds on new scrolls.
>>
>>46650041
> your martial is a christmas tree to make the average 3.5 character envious

You can only attune to 3 magic items, and most of the good ones require it.
>>
>>46650010
I wouldn't know, having not read cthulufag's work. However, I've been working on this since january on and off, and the ability was there in most part since that point.
>>
>>46650041
>>46650147
Got a link? I'd love to read the competition.
>>
File: testhomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
testhomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's a cleaner version, but without the background color. Which is mildly annoying, if anyone knows a fix.
>>
>>46649336
Fighter dips are already really strong, won't this be amazing for monks? An extra point of AC and 24 damage is nothing to sneeze at.

Though this would make them about on par with GWM.
>>
>>46650062
While that is true, do you really think that a Monty Haul DM wouldn't outright ignore that rule?
>>
>>46649336
Nice for a fighter, turns the fighter dip into a no-brainer for Monk (it was already a no-brainer for rogues and all gish builds; Bard esp. since their capstone is so bad)
>>
>>46650164
I posted the link to the Mega with the latest version towards the end of the last thread. I'd link it but I'm on my phone at the moment.

>>46649873
>This is the witch portion of what is now a larger spooky themed homebrew project I'd like to do.
Funny thing, that's exactly what happened to me. I originally set out to do a Yog-Sothot themed warlock patron to complement a sort of Shub-Niggurath themed class (that I really have to get around to refoing) I did earlier. Then I decided to do patrons representing some other Mythos deities as well. Then I added a cleric domain I did earlier that was thematically related, and then I started making some more Mythos-themed class specialisations...
>>
>>46650041
Where did I say that a wizard has to know every spell?

Just by knowing the spells that a vanilla wizard gets through leveling up, they have more utility than a fighter can ever hope to have.
>>
>>46648550
Literally Bards.
>>
>>46648550
Rename warlord into Strategist imo; Warlord should be someone who builds a following through force of will, not a chessmaster.

Part of the problem is; it basically sounds like Mastermind as a caster class.
>>
>>46650366
>Enchantment spells that let the target know they're being fucked with
>Knock could literally wake up most of medieval Carcassone
>Most good buffs are concentration
Champion is the only seriously shafted Fighter spec in that department and if you picked Champion it's mainly because you wanted a simple class.
>>
>>46650362
Np, I found it in the last thread and took a read. I like your work. I've always been a fan of lovecraftian mythology, and I think you've done a good job porting over the outer gods.
>>
So last night I had to improvise a ruling. I'd like some opinions moving forward because I'm not sure if I handled it correctly.

My players where in waist deep water in combat. The wizard cast a Chromatic Orb (choosing lightning damage) at the water near one of the enemies, with the goal of doing some AOE damage. I ruled that anyone who was in the flooded passage would take damage, and anyone would was near a ledge or stairs could make a dex save to see if they get out of the water.

Does that sound about right?
>>
>want to run RP heavy sandbox intrigue campaign
>friends just want to murderhobo an obvious evil guy
>group disbands

Hello darkness my old friend
>>
>>46648550
Sure, if you remove Bard from the game first.
>>
>>46650686
Seems fine to me. Though I would allow a CON save for half damage for those in the water but not in the blast.
>>
>>46650686
My rule of thumb for electrical spells interacting with water is everyone in the water takes half damage from the spell, no save. I like your ruling as well.
>>
>>46650748
That doesn't make sense. You immune system the lightning away?
>>
>>46650776
Skin so thick it is classified as an insulator.
>>
>>46650715
Did you poll the group for what they wanted to play first? This was avoidable, Anon.
>>
>>46650800
It was our first time playing so we didn't know. We started about two months ago.
>>
>>46650812
Try again. You know better this time.

Or put out a call for players interested in a sandbox game.

Games the entire group is not invested in are doomed to failure.
>>
>>46648624

If you don't want to come up with stuff yourself, then just steal it. What I do is just pull from movie plots.

In my last campaign, the game started out as a kind of Indiana Jones style "gather the Mcguffins to safe the world" thing, but they decided they wanted to follow a Half-Orc pugilist and his charlatan of a brother across the continent while they looked for their fortune, so I just pulled the plot from of Mice and Men with elements of Raging Bull.

Then they decided that after two major cities and many weeks of travel, that they were tired of following those fuckers around and parted ways while stopping over in a small town in bumfuck nowhere, which ended up being home to one of the PC's parents who was a priest based on Clint Eastwood having problems with nearby tribesmen in an Avatar/Pocahontas kind of way. Whole thing became a western.

Then they decided it'd be a good idea to commit multiple murders in the town, kill some members of an internationally recognized bounty hunters guild, and burn the entire town dow. This put them on the run from the law, so they had to hide out in a nation of monsters, which turned into Hellboy/Casa Blanca/Every Tarintino movie ever.

The campaign ended when they decided trusting a drug peddling, slave trading, assassin hiring Tiefling woman would be a good idea. This is in spite of her telling them that she's only out for herself. She got them high on drugs then sold them out to the guys pursuing them.
>>
>>46650686
Depending on the size of the flooded passage, but yeah, it seems fine for everyone in a certain radius to take some damage
>>
>>46648790
>This is why warlock is the perfect class. You can play it like the average fighter: I hit it with my eldritch blast. That's perfectly acceptable. But you can also play it as a fairly liberal with spells wizard.

This. I never understand people who complain about the Warlock doing the same thing every round when it has more options than the Fighter, Rogue, and Barbarian, but don't consider those classes limited.
>>
>>46650715
>running an RP heavy sandbox intrigue campaign
>friends just murdered the villain early
>skips a good half of the intended plotline, and most of the sandbox as a result
>it's now basically bioware game with three locations to be tacked in any order leading up to an endgame
This is truly strangest boner.
>>
File: dragonturtle.jpg (149 KB, 640x496) Image search: [Google]
dragonturtle.jpg
149 KB, 640x496
When making a druid, is there any reason to choose Circle of Land over Circle of the Moon?
>>
Heres why the OGL sheet in roll20 is objectively worse than Shapedv2.

· Inventory management. The OGL sheet has a shit inventory. its small, its not very customizable, and item descriptions are hidden behind button presses. Theres no way to click an item and link its properties in the chat, and theres no place where your max carry weight is listed. Weapons, armor and items are all listed in the same place causing lots of clutter. Shaped v2 seperates them into seperate categories that are made for that type of item.

· Spell Management. The OGL sheet has the worst spell implementation ive ever seen in a digital character sheet. its ugly, confusing, and lacks many common options that have been available elsewhere for years. You cant sort, filter or rearrange your spells at all, and it takes numerous clicks PER SPELL to change if it is currently prepared or not. Not only that, but once you setup a spell on the spell tab, you have to go back to the main tab and setup the macro for it! Shaped v2 sets up a clickable macro in the spell book itself, which cuts the amount of work in half. Also, with the OGL sheet, if you change the spell on the spell tab, or delete it, the spell sticks around in the main tab, meaning you have to remember to change it at both locations.

(cont.)
>>
· Attachers. Shapedv2 gives a object called an attacher, basically a small line of text you can setup, and then apply to rolls of a certain type. For example, I could setup a barbarians "Danger Sense" with its description from the PHB, and then link it to DEX saves, so that every time I make a dex save, it links the danger sense rules to remind me to use it if applicable. This can be used to make very complex macros that accomplish numerous things in a single roll. For example, theres NO WAY in the OGL sheet to have a paladin rogue attack roll both the weapon damage, smite damage and sneak attack damage as seperate items, without just manually typing it into the free text section. Which means if you dual weild or have numerous weapons, you have to type that shit into EVERY macro you make. WIth attachers in shapedv2, you can make both a sneak attack and smite macro and attach them to attack rolls, so that every time you roll an attack, no matter what weapon, you get your smite and sneaka ttack damage to use if applicable. Thats only one of hundreds of ways you can use attachers.

·Edit Mode: The OGL sheet has no edit mode. Everything is always editable all the time. If you accidentally replace your STR score with a random number, you have no way to undo that action or keep it from happening. Shapedv2 has an edit mode. When it is toggled on, everything you can edit lights up as yellow. When it is turned off, everything is condensed and all of the edit buttons are removed, as well as fields that dont need to be changed on the fly locked down to prevent accidents. This also means the sheet doesnt need constantly shown edit buttons which reduces clutter and makes things look cleaner.

(cont.)
>>
>>46651085
>>46651096
dude what
>>
·Other stuff. NPC sheets look more like MM stat blocks and have more customization options. Shapedv2 has break initiative ties that uses your dex mod to automatically break initiative ties between people with the same roll. shapedv2 has a "all" tab that shows everything in a single page so you dont have to switch between tabs. features and traits are clickable macros, so you can show the wording of your channel divinity feature or whatever other non-attack or spell abilities your character has. OGL sheet has NO WAY to make rolalble macros for features and traits or abilities that are not an attack or spell. OGL sheet does not support custom skills. OGL sheet does not support multiclassing between more than one custom class. OGL's roll's look objectively worse than the ones made by shapedv2.

(fin.)
>>
>>46651075
A sense of propriety and sportsmanship. Moon druids are kind of broken in some circumstances, but land druids signal to your gaming group that you're not here to optimize, just to have fun.
>>
>>46650491
I'm both a big fan of Lovecraft and insistent on doing research and accurately representing the source material whatever I do, or just be generally "educational" (like, my original 3.x version of the deep sea mermaid contained a long list of subtypes based on different deep sea fish, with some info on notable traits of each fish).
Which can lead to weird things when the source material is, say, some guy's fetish comic (no, that isn't included in the mega, and no, there isn't any sensible explanation for why I decided to adapt that, other than thinking it might be funny).
>>
>>46651075
You dont want to be a boring shitty bland sack of endless HP?
>>
>>46651102
Sorry, I had seen people actually trying to argue the OGL was somehow better, so I had to make sure they knew how wrong they were.
>>
>>46651192
All of these are true, but it looks like ass tho.
>>
>>46651280
Not really. Id argue the OGL sheet looks way worse, since theres no way to hide the edit buttons and its lacking tons of basic functionality.
>>
>>46651085
>>46651096
Welcome to /5eg/ most of the people here don't use roll20 and don't give a shit.

I do, but I enjoy the drag and drop functionality so much from OGL that most of your points are irrelevant (yes, you can go through all the work of setting up sneak attacks on your rolls, but there is plenty of times you don't get them, so for something like the OGL sheet its better to just have a seperate "sneak attack" version of the weapon in your weapons to auto roll the sneak for you. Also you don't seem to give a shit about the DMs backend.
>>
>>46651358
You do realize the drag and drop functionality and the comendium was added to shapedv2 months ago, right?
>>
>>46651393
No one fucking cares.
>>
>>46651333
You conflate ascetic appeal with functionality. OGL sheet looks sleek and trim, the other one looks like something made in Microsoft Word with text boxes. The edit buttons aren't hidable with the OGL, but at least they still look prettier than piss-colored pencils. And it may not be all too functional, but it's still a pretty paperweight.

Most of my complaints are due to changing to the new sheet about 5 minutes ago and understanding nothing. OGL is user friendly for morons like me at least.
>>
>>46651405
The guy I replied to, who was 100% wrong, might care.

>>46651412
Who gives a shit what it looks like? is it a painting? Are you going to fuck it? You open it up and click some shit to make a roll happen. Its not your waifu.

Its really not that complicated. Spending 10 minutes or so building a character on it is all you would need to figure out how it works. If anything, someone coming to roll20 new for the first time would have a much better time setting things up using shapedv2 than the OGL, for all the reasons I listed above in my copy pasta.
>>
>>46651470
I do, or I wouldn't be complaining about it. It's not exactly user friendly.
>>
>>46651500
It is exactly user friendly, youre probably just retarded. Theres literally not a single thing less user friendly about it than the OGL.

Can you explain WHY aesthetic appeal matters in a character sheet? Without using buzzwords like user friendly?
>>
File: 1399963681632.jpg (93 KB, 677x650) Image search: [Google]
1399963681632.jpg
93 KB, 677x650
Currently on my first game with some friends, I decided to roll a goblin bard for shits and gigs.
We're all level 2 and I'm thinking of going college of valor because our group has no real melee. we have a rogue and 3 CHA based casters.

Can anyone suggest some good spells for a valor bard? I'm thinking a paladin smite when I'm level 10 and I might take blade ward later when I can cast and use melee as a bonus.
>>
>>46651547
>>46651500
>>46651470
>>46651412
Can you please shut the fuck up about this? No one else cares, and it's about the stupidest possible thing to discuss in this thread. I would see this thread sliding off page 10 into oblivion without any more posts as a superior alternative to this argument continuing.
>>
>>46651571
>3 cha based, and a rogue whos also probably cha based

what the fuck are you idiots doing? Did you make your team comp in a vacuum without asking each other what you were playing first?
>>
>>46651579
>I dont care about something so it shouldnt be discussed! Only talk about stuff I personally enjoy!

nah, if no one wanted to discuss it, there wouldnt be a discussion. fuck off.
>>
>>46651571
>we have a rogue and 3 CHA based casters.
Why the hell isn't the rogue in melee?
>>
>>46651591
>not having a party of all paladins who join together against a common foe
>not playing an entire crew of dwarves who wanna find gold and get shit rekt

It's a story based game anon, roleplaying and fun come first. Team comp is for video games you silly billy.
>>
>>46651613
>melee rogue

ranged rogues are objectively better in every possible way
>>
>>46651591
My group has the same problem..nobody talked about characters before the game started. We have a Warlock, Bard, Sorcerer, and a Fighter. To be fair though, the lock is blade pact, the bard is college of valor, and the fighter is a battlemaster.
>>
>>46651618
sound dumb and makes encounter balance hard for the DM, since your party sucks ass, but whatever, if you have fun being a bunch of shitters then do it.
>>
>>46651547
>user friendly
>buzzword

So I don't have the other players and the DM asking how to do things every 15 seconds. Visually appealing objects are perceived as easier to use and better overall, which in turn, makes poorly-designed objects harder to use. The OGL looks simpler, which encourages the players to try it for themselves and not bitch about everything they can't do instantly, while the other sheet looks like absolute ass and blinds with it's ugliness.

>>46651579
Ye
>>
>>46651635
Teach them how to use the sheet, and then they wont ask questions. Or you know, fucking answer their questions, so that you have a much better sheet with significantly better functionality.
>>
File: Half-elf_PHB5e.jpg (86 KB, 603x800) Image search: [Google]
Half-elf_PHB5e.jpg
86 KB, 603x800
What characters do you people like to play most often? I've found myself in a bit of a character creation rut lately, I mostly make Half elves with dead or missing parents. I guess it's because I mainly play bards or warlocks and the CHA bonus is great (without having to roleplay as an edgy tiefling), but seriously I've made like 3 different half-elf orphans or bastards or orphaned bastards.
>>
>>46651667
I play half orc barbarian and lore bard most often. those are my two go to characters, and I have premade backstories and such for both
>>
>>46651657
In addition, well-designed and aesthetically pleasing objects make it easier to learn the functionality of said objects. What I'd need to go over once with the OGL I'll have to do thrice with your abomination.
>>
>GM changes rules on the fly without telling us shit
>These changes also change over the course of one session several times so you can't never know how things work anymore
>Literally rolling a dice without knowing what the outcome of the action might be, want to climb a 5ft normal ladder in normal circumstances with 20 str and profiency in athletics? is it going to be easy? hard? I dunno, literally impossible to guess.
>Game basically becomes "say what you want to do, your GM tells you if you do it, rolls and bonuses don't matter"
>Confront GM about this bullshit
>"I'm the GM, if you don't like this there's the door"
Well, I just wasted 3 hours of my life
>>
>>46651632
Encounter balance isn't hard for dms. We have infinite cosmic power within the context of the game. if the encounter is unbalanced, just balance it live.
>>
>>46651695
Its hilarious you act like it looks so bad when it really doesnt. Youre either trolling or a moron. It looks just like a normal character sheet. The spell page looks INFINITELY better than the OGL spell page, which looks like PURE ass.
>>
>>46651667
Gnomish wizards with a love for inventing things, art, or generally having fun solving problems are my go-to for a new game. I also like making quirky Druids in concept, but I rarely do well with them because of my shit RP skills.

Last time I played a Druid was a PF game where I had a cart hitched up to my giant chameleon companion so he could tote around my portable garden and beehive. My character had a major sweet tooth and would do just about anything for honey.
>>
>>46651722
Sounds like a shit DM honestly.
>>
>>46651667
>I mostly make Half elves with dead or missing parents.
Not that this is going to help you or anything, but I recently came up with the idea of a half elf whose human father one day left to "get a pack of smokes" or whatever the fantasy equivalent is and never came back. The half elf, of course, went off adventuring when he reached adulthood with his ultimate goal being to find his father and demand to know why he never came back. Much like the father of Nelson Muntz, the father actually had no intention of abandoning his family, and has been prevented from returning home by a series of comedically tragic events.
>>
>>46651724
>being this objectively wrong
>>
>>46651667
warlocks, warlocks, and more warlocks.
>>
>>46651667
Tend to play clerics. I have a hard on for righteous heroic types and usually shoot for a heroic sacrifice type death. Also like paladins. Aside from that I played a hilldwarf ranger who was operator as fuck
>>
What is the most functional Roll20 character sheet to use currently?
>>
>>46651744
>playing a game all about numbers
>"But numbers are confusing! aesthetics! user friendly!

yeah nah, someone here is objectively wrong, and its not the guy saying the sheet with more functionality is better.
>>
>>46651762
A text file. No, seriously, a text file. Upload it to pastebin if you need others to see it.
>>
>>46651762
Shaped v2.
>>
>>46651782
that doesn't give you macro access though.
>>
>>46651801
Make your own damn macros then.
>>
>>46651762
>>46651801
http://pastebin.com/Q08Z1taC
>>
>>46651774
>being this objectively wrong
>strawmanning this hard
>>
>needing macros to write dice rolls that are highest going to be like 2d20d1+5 or something
>>
>>46651939
>typing out a dice roll each time instead of pressing a button

It's not about needing things anon, it's about wanting efficiency.
>>
>>46651173
How in gods name turning into a god dam Giant Crocodile boring?
>>
>>46651075
Depends on how much you want to cast. If you wanna fling spells like a Wizard ,Land is pretty good. Anything else and your better off Moon.
>>
>>46652082
because it has literally a single thing it can do
>>
>>46652134
But its awesome!
>>
File: 1068738.jpg (61 KB, 330x450) Image search: [Google]
1068738.jpg
61 KB, 330x450
Hey /tg/, I come seeking advice.

I need help building a defender Oath of Devotion Paladin, and I mean defender in that I want to be the tank of the group. I can't find many ways of forcing enemies to focus on me other than Compelled Duel which I'd like to find alternatives to as the save might be unreliable.

The campaign is extremely high in power level and magic items are a-plenty. The character himself is a level 14 half-dragon template'd over a half elf (cantrip variant for booming blade). I have a Ring of Regeneration, a Holy Avenger and Adamantine Plate +2 along with a Shield +3. And, here's the kicker, I was offered access to a Epic Boon (probably Boon of Invincibility or Boon of Fate) from the DMG.

So, how do I keep my allies alive with all of this nonsense to pick from? Thank you for any advice in advance guys.
>>
>>46651724
The community sheet is superior to both. The only downside is it's relatively laggy due to not having sheet workers implemented.[]
>>
>>46652134
The problem is the druid doesn't get to turn into animals enough as path of the moon. I'd give him as many uses as he has wisdom modifier if I were designing it.
>>
>>46652173
You probably want Oath of the Crown instead. It does more like what you want. 5e doesn't have taunts. The best you can do is give enemies disadvantage to attacking anyone besides you. Try not using a shield and beating the fuck out of things really hard so enemies don't want to ignore you.
>>
I just updated to shapedv2 from the shaped (depreciated), but i seem to have lost a lot of functionality.

Did I fall for a meme?
>>
File: 1459124326586.jpg (52 KB, 600x616) Image search: [Google]
1459124326586.jpg
52 KB, 600x616
>>46652250
Pfft. And here I mistook the OGL for the Community Sheet. 20 minutes of shitposting down the drain.
>>
Does the shapedv2 have compendium support?
>>
>>46652273
You're right, looking at Crown, it is way better at the tank role I'm aiming for. I'm just not a fan of the oath itself.

The character is supposed to be a more traditional paladin, taking some cues from the more boy-scout-y yet sensible versions of superman. While tanking is my group role, I'm also trying to remain flexible, so I'm banking more on passive support through auras.

So, I guess what I really want are ways to just make things more difficult for enemies while making things easier for allies. Should I concentrate on certain spells, or are their other Magic items I could sift through?
>>
They released a free expansion for AL S4 adventure The Beast
>>
File: image.png (325 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.png
325 KB, 500x333
>>46650812
>not having a session zero to set expectations

I expected more, anon
>>
How do we break a druid /5eg/?
>>
>>46653789
Do you mean break a druid's spirit, or use a druid to break the game?
>>
How would I go about making like, an infiltration-specialist Rogue?

I've not built a 5E character, I don't know what options there are. There are no options right? 5E is just core classes and all flavor comes from fluff and roleplay, right?
>>
>>46653820
The latter comrade. Fuck vampires.
>>
>>46653840
There are archetypes, which modify the classes. For instance, the Thief archetype is good at picking locks and climbing, the Assassin can use assassination attacks and disguises, and there's a third one that uses magic.

All are sneaky steathy types, but the exact type can be chosen. In addition, there is still multiclassing, unless your DM is an asshole.

So you should just go Thief Rogue.
>>
>>46649918
Somehow now I want to make a bippitty boppitty berserker. An adorable, cheerful middle-aged lesbian with a greataxe that's always looking out for her god-daughter.
>>
>>46653840
Lots of paths to do this.

Assassin. Most straightforward. Use disguises and Stealth to bypass defenses.

Shadow Monk 6/Rogue (any kind, especially Assassin). Teleport using the shadows. Lots of Stealth here.

Magic Rogue. Arcane Trickster or multiclass into Wizard or Warlock to leverage magic against your foes. Arcane Trickster keeps you close to the Rogue core, Wizard levels give you a great variety of tricks up your sleeve, Warlock gives you the Devil's Sight/Darkness combo when everything goes to pieces.

Rogue/Druid 3 or 4. Let's be real, you are here for Pass without Trace. +10 to Stealth checks is awesome, and you get Wild Shapes to sneak around in animal forms.
>>
>>46653840
Pic related
All rogues can be "infiltrators" just depends on what flavor you want. Are you infiltrating to murder a target? To steal the shiny? To steal the magical things? To gain the baron's trust and take his place? To steal his daughter's maidenhood?
>>
File: 1459481445620.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1459481445620.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>46654038
I'm an idiot that forgets pictures
>>
File: 2706469.jpg (38 KB, 318x470) Image search: [Google]
2706469.jpg
38 KB, 318x470
>>46654038
>To steal his daughter's maidenhood?
Best archetype
>>
Er... Could someone give me a link to an actually usefuld&d wiki? The only one I could find is full with homebrew this, homebrew that.
>>
>>46654196
https://open5e.com/

Has all the OGL stuff, I think.
>>
>>46654242
Thanks. That site looks better already.
>>
>>46654266
Very handy, except for classes. Note that spells like Bigby's Hand will be lawyer-safe forms like Arcane Hand.
>>
>>46654242
>Only some stuff is OGL

I literally cannot fathom why anyone plays 5E, this is the most retarded shit I have ever fucking seen.

How the fuck hard is it to just put your god damned rules online?
>>
>>46649647
That guy who voiced Adam Jensen would play Ireena's brother.
>>
>>46654340
Pretty hard, if you still want to sell rulebooks
>>
>>46654434
And yet somehow, there are companies that manage it.

There really isn't an excuse. Just like there's no fucking excuse for not having PDFs of your shit.
>>
>>46654340
I don't follow.
Do most RPGs have their rules for free online, or something? I've really only seen DnD have the whole huge organized SRDs.
>>
>>46654340
> I don't want to pay for things.
>>
>>46653868
If "fuck vampires" is what you want, Druids do better than Clerics. Are you using EE? Tidal Wave + Control Water will fuck their day up. Sunbeam can be renamed the Fuck Vampires Kamehameha, and after you cast it you can keep it up during a wild shape. Sunburst is a huge explosive AoE fuck vampires. You have endless hp from wild shape, and can turn into a water elemental for further anti-vamp lulz if you took Moon Circle like a good boy. Druids need never fear the night.
>>
Reasking since I didn't get an answer last thread:
How should I handle the party taking the red dragon egg in OOTA with them?
>>
>>46654465
Most published games do not. The fact that Wizards is happy to not only publish their core rules, but also to allow anybody to publish said rules as part of their own product, is considerably more understanding than Baron Fuckface up there can fathom.
>>
>>46654673
Hatch it, red Wyrmling, allow high DC persuasion to talk inherently evil dragon down from attacking.
>>
>>46651667
Dragonborn Fullcaster is my prefered in this Edition, which is surprising given that I always complained about Fullcasters in 3.5.

My favorite one was a clumsy as fuck black dragonborn Criminal wizard whose spellbook was a compilation of badly scrawled notes in and around torn pages he had taken from books and tomes, bound together by string and spit.

His trusty familiar Mr Nibblets the fiendish mouse helped make him the sneakiest wizard B&E specialist there ever was.
>>
>>46651667
Gnome nerdy wizards, but I've become a permaDM now.
>>
>>46653840
>invisibility cloak
>slippers of spider climb
>wand of wall of stone as a contingency in case caught

Choose the subclass and features that you like aside from that.
>>
>>46651085
>tracking item weight
WHAT are you DOING
Remembering how many arrows / throwable weapons you have is already too much for most parties. Spreadsheeting your fucking encumberance? Geddafugowd.
>>
How would you go about doing beta sorc within the current framework?

I'm talking about the sorc that would gain martial bonuses and deformities/mutations as their sorcery points were spent.
>>
>>46653063
>You're right, looking at Crown, it is way better at the tank role I'm aiming for. I'm just not a fan of the oath itself.

Then follow the Devotion Oath and ask your GM if you can have the class features from Crown. It's not like it makes any mechanical difference.
>>
in the official settings, can demons and devils reproduce?
>>
Are paladins fun to play mechanically in 5e? I'm excited as heck to roleplay my guy but I'm not too hype about any particular facet of the class.
>>
>>46655307
some versions of tielfings imply yes

i don't recall which version 5e uses
>>
>>46655307
3.5 had stuff on that, but basically yes.
>>
>>46655366
>>46655385
Okay, so a demonic ancestry sorc is theoretically possible.

What other horrifying things could provide the ancestry to a sorcerer?
>>
>>46655427
They list a bunch of possibilities. Parents experimented on by a lich, draconic ancestry, touched by a vampire at birth...
>>
>>46655333
Depends on what you enjoy mechanically.
If you enjoy being effective as fuck about damage output and bashing people's faces in, you're set.
If you're looking for having 5 million different rules for how to do shit, then you're probably playing the wrong game.
>>
>>46648351
I feel strongly that they should have options for both, but that simple classes should not be significantly worse overall.
More importantly, even if classes vary in complexity, every class, at any given level range, regardless of complexity, should always have something that makes them uniquely useful in a way that stands out in their party (whether that is either in combat or out of combat, or something that helps with both.)
>>
>>46655333
They're mechanically one of the strongest classes and are a great boon to any party containing one.
>>
>>46655333
Smiting is very stong. You might want to consider a cleric of the war, light, or life domain as they are pretty close fluffwise to a paladin and might have more interesting stuff. hell even nature domain if you wanted to go oath of the ancients.
>>
File: spook.gif (99 KB, 950x726) Image search: [Google]
spook.gif
99 KB, 950x726
What would be a good way to fit in slavery on the surface?
>>
>>46655582
Faerûn btw
>>
If I'm standing behind a chest-tall fence which grants three-quarters cover, how much in movement will cost crouching behind it and getting full cover?
>>
>>46648351
I think CONCEPTS should have options for both. They don't need to be the same class. For example, you don't need a simple archetype for the Wizard if you have the Sorcerer and the Warlock.
I think it's fine for some classes to be more or less complex than others, but the classes should cover all the basses so that someone doesn't get stuck with a certain level of complexity just because of the fluff they wanted for their character. I think 5e does a decent job of this, though there's room for more. The game could do with a mundane martial class that's closer in complexity to the wizard.
>>
>>46655694
None, but disadvantage if you take a ranged attack from there, because you didn't have much time to aim in. 3/4 cover is fine.
>>
>>46655454
>>46655466
Sounds good to me!

>>46655479
Yeah the smites look pretty dope. I wanna go nature domain at some point, but it just doesn't fit the character I wanna play
>>
>>46654578
I get why water would fuck a vampire up mythologically, but I'm not familiar with their 5E stats. What makes all this water shit so damaging to vamps?
>>
>>46655886
vamps take 20 acid damage at the end of it's turn if it's in running water, all the rest is the anon trying to claim bonuses that don't exist
>>
>>46655886
20 acid damage every turn if the water is moving.
>>
>>46648351
>no discord server
but why?
>>
>>46655886
If they end their turn in running water they take 20 acid damage. Also, it halts their regeneration.
I think the idea there is to use Tidal Wave and that it creates water that sticks around, and then you use Control Water to shuffle a minor amount of water around at the vamp's feet and then say that is "running water."

I'm not sure if that'd really count as "running water" for this purpose because I imagine like rivers or at least well-established streams or something like that for such purposes (can I just dump a cup of water on them then, or what?), and I'm not really sure if Tidal Wave water would even stick around to any real degree cause "muh instantaneous magic"
>>
>>46655965
>>46655967
Ah. Yeah, I figured it was an attempt at mechanically recreating the "vampires can't cross rivers" thing. I don't know many DMs that would let you cheese any source of water you can summon or manipulate into qualifying as "a river" for the purposes of fucking with vampires, though. Exactly >>46656037
>>
How do I make a killer 5e war priest /tg/? I've always wanted to play a cleric of war, wading into combat with a greatsword, smiting foes and buffing bros. Anything I should keep an eye on in particular for a war priest build?
>>
>>46656084
this is 5e bro, just don't be massively retarded and you'll do fine.
>>
>>46656084
don't have bad stats
>>
So how good is the dual crossbow fighter?

I was either gonna play that next or two weapon fighter
>>
>>46656144
Not any good. You need a free hand to reload a crossbow.
>>
>>46656144
great if your dm lets you reload both crossbows while both hands are occupied, terrible if your dm hates fun.
>>
>>46651667
I've been playing greatsword-wielding humans who tend to dip into a casting option to gain some magic to help them be zippy and shoot sword magics at people since I first started playing RPGs.
>>
>>46656167
I tend to let people with their heart set on akimbo crossbows find a pair of bracers with animated clockwork spiders in them, where the spiders' only programming is to reload weapons for them.
>>
>>46651667

Well I'd love to play this idea I had for a Mastermind rogue with a few bard levels. I love "bag of tricks" characters, almost every character I make ends up having a million situational options, but solid killing ability.

Unfortunately, there's one role that no one else in the party ever fills that I find myself stuck playing: the DM
>>
>>46656237
>use only iron bolts
>put a tiny magnet or two in your crossbow
>have all your ammo loosely fixed to your hips, thighs, shoulders, and stovepipe hat
>>
>>46656164
>>46656167

Because of the setting we were actually going to use basic pistols in place of hand crossbows, does that make much of a difference?
>>
>>46655582
By being in a country that has slavery? Thay has it, for example. Calimshan and Amn do as well I believe.
>>
>>46656144
Conceptually retarded.
>>
>>46656287
That is also rad.
>>
>>46656292
Kind of. The feat doesn't apply to pistols, and you can't normally dual wield ranged weapons, which Crossbow Expert allows you to do.

Talk to your DM to see if it will work with pistols.
>>
>>46656316

wew lad
>>
>>46656338

Oh its all agreed, hes letting me do it as long as i take the perks for it.

Im just wondering if this build misses out on stopping power or has a big weakness i havent thought of
>>
>>46656316
Have you tried not playing DnD?
>>
>>46656369
Why not just refluff a warlock's eldritch blast to be the pact of gun?
>>
File: smug anime face.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
smug anime face.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
>>46655989
>discord server
Did you mean

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46656503
Yes, I did!
>>
So my brother in law invited me to join his group for their very first 5e run. All I know so far is that the group is Monk, Ranger, Lock, and my broinlaw is going either Pally or Cleric (apparently it's an undead campaign?). Any advice on what class would be useful to play? I was thinking Bard. Also, be gentle because the last time I sat down at a D&D board was 3rd edition.
>>
>>46656668
Pretty hard to go wrong with a Bard, they're one of the best this time around.
>>
>>46655022
>Remembering how many arrows / throwable weapons you have is already too much for most parties.
Most of my parties manage fine, what kind of people are you playing with?
>>
>>46656668
The party always needs more warlocks! You can get into theological and metaphysical debates about which patron is superior!
>>
>>46656668
Bard is incredibly versatile. Wizards are just as good or maybe a little better, but require way more game knowledge and badly need spellbooks to plunder.
>>
>>46656369

Your attacks will be loud as hell. Make sure you bring along some other, stealthier weapons.
>>
>>46656763
>patron wars
I want this to be a thing now
>>
>>46656287
What about some sort of winding clockwork mechanism which automatically pulls the string a set number of times, and a gravity fed clipazine on top like the Chinese Repeating Crossbows?
>>
>at the end of last session, DM tells us to roll up new characters, starting at 15th level
>asks what the setting is
>he looks at us and just says "Modern day Earth"
>before we have a chance to say anything about how this is the worst possible system to do this with, he starts talking again
>explains that we're effectively doing a superhero-themed campaign
>besides normal starting gear, get 3 uncommon magic items and one rare
>says we can take anyone from history if we want to, or just make someone up

I'm still pretty skeptical of this honestly. Our DM is definitely This Guy, and has never done anything close to this silly with us before. The rest of my party is totally on-board with it. Honestly I'm afraid it could get too silly. Should I go ahead with this, and if so, what sounds like a good idea to be?
>>
>>46656990
You know how the most given advice to the DM is to say "yes... and?"

It applies to players too. Go as General Sherman, choose fire spells.
>>
>>46656990
The worst possible scenario is that you get a story out of it you can tell about that time the game went stupid. Everyone needs some stories like that to tell.

>>The game started with us transporting into modern times, and ended with Brian getting his cock out and declaring he was a helicopter and that everyone should get on board while he spun it in a circle, splattering us with speckles of urine.
>>
>>46656990

I feel like he's got a trick up his sleeve. If he's never pulled anything like this before and isn't giving you a lot of info he probably has a twist in store for y'all. If everyone else is on board with it, and he's normally a great DM just give it a shot. Worst case scenario it will just be a campaign you don't love, but there's always more campaigns to be had. A "modern day" setting is a great chance to play a face and use social powers to do incredible things. Last time I played a modern game (D20 Modern rules) I played a charismatic rite-aid pharmacist working to make a fortune 500 biotech company that made bioweapons in secret.

Or play as Putin on his rise to power.
>>
>>46656873
WotC has you covered there already. In Out of the Abyss, the Derro have repeating crossbows. Repeating crossbows, if we follow that example, hold up to 6 bolts in a cartridge (could make larger cartridges), have half the range, and don't have the loading property. Reloading the cartridge takes an action.
>>
So I've been reading about the Roll20 shapedv2 sheet. Is it better than the older shaped one?
>>
>player says he's gonna make a druid to play a healer for the rest of the meathead party (two barbs, two fighters, and a rogue)
>okay, cool, so wild shaping and word healing
>"nah i was gonna go underdark"
>not that familiar with druids, figure it's like a unique archetype from OoTA or something
>it's a Land Circle option
well, if it makes him happy? I mean I may not know much about druids, but moon is generally better than land, no?
>>
>>46658150
Land is alright if you want to go the wizard-like path of spellcasting all day erry day.
>>
>>46658150
> moon is better than land
The advantage is really skin-deep. Moon is a one-trick pony.

And it's not that big a pony.
>>
>tfw you have a party almost entirely consisting of Charisma casters investigating shit in a wizard school
>>
>>46658318
People see Moon's abilities and just kinda assume it's like 3e wildshape.

It kind of is. Until 6th level. After that it's 2e wildshape, a nifty ability that most players will forget exist because spells and scimitar is more durable.
>>
The Eradicator
Weaboo fightan' magic class
Critique/thoughts?
(I know it's kinda like a warlock, but I feel the warlock is much too limited in scope and it's fighty enough for me)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U2qp7x8YpYuib_ZNmL8HGoKqhIiuKhNi-QDFdw9LRts/edit
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.