[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: braininajar.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
braininajar.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
So let's make a Brain in a jar deck work. I'm thinking of a BUG control list, with breaking and entering, with maybe inkwell leviathan as the card it gets, who can be cast eventually as well. But it would need other win cons, I'm thinking Ashiok as a 2 of, and maybe some other good sorceries or instants that can win games, what do you guys think?
Also Eldrazi will be banned by the time this is archived, let's take a moment to be happy. All brews welcome, just no absolute garbage please.
>>
>>46450163
when are bans happening?
>>
Eldrazi ban?
>>
>>46450163
Fuck you

bans when?
>>
Drazi not getting a ban, urza lands and cranial plating are, why would they intentionally kill sales of a current standard set to appease a bunch of fucktards for their "competitive format" meme
>>
>>46450194
10 hours
>>
>>46450286
>>46450194
Another two weeks probably. Right after Shadows GP
>>
Surge Node + Energy Chamber. Not Coretapper because it's a creature and you want board wipes.

Rest of the deck full of instants and sorceries that draw cards and control the field, all the way up to Enter the Infinite and other 7+ CMC shitstains.

Kill your opponent with Blast of Genius + Riddle of Lightning + Explosive Revelation + Friendly Fire + Ignite Memories + Kindle the Carnage + Undying Flames + Vengeful Rebirth?

These are all 3, 5 and 6 CMC cards filling that slot, meaning you should be killing your opponent around that time turn-wise.

This is some jank, man. I'm just brainstorming. I love jank, it's the only thing I run. It's probably possible to set something up that's really awesome. I'd consider maybe Unexpected Results as well if you're going to run huge CMC cards.
>>
>>46450163
Your idea is absolute garbage familia
>>
>>46450163
Lets not brew with a shit card.

>>46450375
Because that can drive away players potentially killing the format and a revenue source.
>>
>>46450436
Why would bug control with combos and planeswalker as won cons be bad? It worked for Gerard fabiano. Just imagine his list but instead without creatires, idk maybe snapcasters, and then brain in a jar which sets you up for a turn 3 ikwell, that seems decent.
>>
>>46450163
>no absolute garbage
>brain in a jar
>brain in a jar putting in inky

son
>>
Doing some more brainstorming on making a CMC killing instant/sorcery Brain in a Jar deck.

Some organization of these cards + obvious generalized answers in sideboard.

Brain in a Jar
Surge Node
Energy Chamber

Deprive
Remand
Dissolve
Cryptic Command
Aetherize

Riddle of Lightning
Blast of Genius

Commandeer
Rolling Waters
Temporal Mastery
Beacon of Tomorrows
Dichotomancy
Time Stretch

Probably around only 15 lands(Brain in a Jar, bro).
>>
>>46450708
God just re-reading this deck it's terrible. But at least I'm trying. I'm sure there's a configuration that works. Probably ditch the surge node and energy chamber in favor of cheap control, and just using Brain in a Jar as a sort of control mana replacement and large CMC finisher.
>>
>>46450708
Seems like a shit deck that dies to stony silence harder than affinity.
>>
File: Modern Homage to Splinter Twin.png (317 KB, 447x311) Image search: [Google]
Modern Homage to Splinter Twin.png
317 KB, 447x311
Not to draw away from the Brain in the Jar brewing going on, but I had a question.

I don't know if I'm late to the party but I had a rough idea for a deck based on the ashes of Splinter Twin, using pic related as the core. Alternatively, a cheap red with a bit of blue aggro-ish deck until Alarm drops, then wait for Mastery to win. Opinions? Why yes, this is the first time I've ever brewed a deck, or looked in this general.
>>
>>46450818
Yes it's the same concept as twin, except slower, more vulnerable and worse. You can make the deck, it's just not as food as twin.
>>
>>46450708
Idk man, I feel like if you don't stick a brain in a jar for any reason you're going to lose pretty hard.
>>
File: 1459314437106.jpg (97 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
1459314437106.jpg
97 KB, 1024x569
>>46450456
Modern = Entirely secondary market format that makes wizards $0 profit

Standard is the only format they make money on
>>
I think the important thing to note here is the ability to cast sorceries at instant speed. Casting Supreme Verdict during combat can be a hella blowout. Or Casting Harmonize at EoT. Really, that's what you should be trying to milk; not the dream of casting ETI for free.
>>
>>46450894
Nobody will buy Zendikar boosters now that Innistrad is out.
>>
>>46450894
Shut up kid. Wizards gets a lot out of feeding the secondary market.
>>
>>46450919
I don't want to cast ETI, I want to cast fuse cards that let me gain advantage or win the game.
>>
>>46451006
not the same person, but i'm genuinely curious. what does wizards get out of the secondary market?
>>
>>46451024
I remember something about fuse cards when I was running Possibility Storm + Unexpected Results + Blast of Genius in standard.

I could not cast both sides of a fuse card with Storm or Results, I would have to choose one or the other. A fuse card's CMC is equal to both sides' CMC combined. The way Brain in a Jar is worded makes me think that you might actually have to cast both sides of the card, or not cast it at all.

>You may cast an instant or sorcery card with CMC equal to the number of charge counters from your hand

Fuse card text:
>You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand

The CMC of a fuse card is the two sides of the card combined. I believe with BiaJ's text, you can't cast a single side of the card. Sorry.
>>
>>46450894
Modern masters 1 and 2 and reprints in standard sets like fetches make them a bunch of money.

There is also the fact that lower attendance hurts the stores which hurts wizards.
>>
>>46451105
I wouldn't mind not casting the spells for free. It just makes beck//call and breaking and entering a bit worse cause I can't cast them EoT. I want to be casting both sides though, I want to cast far//away for 3, or breaking//entering for 3 and maybe beck// call for 3, but that card just seems real bad if I don't get brain in a jar in the deck I'm considering. All in all though only being able to cast both sides of the fuse card doesn't fuck with my game plan too hard.
>>
>>46451105
Oh wait, you're wrong dude, you can cast one either half of the fuse cards with BiaJ, they already worked out the rules text.
>>
>>46451105
http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/140988514854/how-do-split-cards-interact-with-brain-in-the-jar
>>
>>46451105
Thats incorrect but I'm in mobile and really don't want to type out why. Tldr you only combine the cmc of split cards when the value is not used to make a comparison. Heed the mists let's you draw 8 cards from boom // bust. A cascade spell performs a comparison and sees two values of 2 and 6
>>
>>46451061
If a card out of print from an old set is hyped and played a lot. Not reprinting the card increase the value of said card.
At that point, they know that when they will reprint the card, the set will sell like drugs.
So they can totally benefit from the secondary market, reprinting one card at a time to benefit from the hype.
Let's say tomorrow wotc annonce they'll reprint damnation in the next set. You can be sure it'll sell a lot.
So yes wotc profit from the secondary market, not directly but still.
>>
>>46451275
The secondary market also helps the local game stores which wizards needs.
>>
>>46451210
I'm a little bit confused as to why it would be ruled that Brain in the Jar is not an alternate cost. That doesn't really make sense to me at all, but if a judge decides that it's okay, sure! Turn 2 Beck//Call it is!!

>>46451211
Yeah, Blast of Genius and Riddle of Lightning read both halves of Catch//Release when I was running that deck, it's the CMC of the card itself that's in question, which in C//R's case is 9. I would think BitJ would read C//R as 9 as well, not 3 or 6 or 9. This ruling confuses me and goes against everything I understand about fuse cards and alternate mana costs.
>>
>>46451313
>turn 2
turn 3-4*, depending on the build, whoops. Still a ridiculous ruling.
>Alive//Well
>3/3 for 1 potentially on turn 2
so many problems.
>>
>>46451313
It compares the split card to the number of counters on biaj, what's there to misunderstand? Biaj can cast c//r at 3 or 6 counters. And Because of fuse you get to cast both sides either way.
>>
>>46451350
Specifically because a fuse cards CMC is equal to both halves combined as far as things like Blast of Genius and Riddle of Lightning are concerned. I don't understand why Brain in the Jar's text would read a fuse card differently. I also don't understand how it's not an alternate mana cost, and you cannot cast both halves of a fuse card using an alternate mana cost.
>>
>>46451313
Bruh fuck beck//call
I'm talking about turn 3 Inkwell Leviathan.
>>
>>46451370
Read >>46451211 again. You only combine the cms when it's not compared against anything. Blast of genius and riddle of lightning don't compare the cmc to any other value.

Biaj requires a comparison to the number of counters on biaj
>>
>>46451403
Yeah, breaking//entering is definitely a think. Riddle/Blast might be an alternative win-con after all if you're going that route. Unexpected Results as well if you're going to run around 10 bombs, which you might need to in order to consistently hit a gamebreaker with breaking//entering.

Too bad stack tricks with worldspine wurm doesn't work with that. You would need an alternative form of mill, and then cast breaking//entering at instant speed with BitJ just as Worldspine Wurm hits the graveyard before it gets shuffled.
>>
For those wanting to refer to rules with split cards, refer to rule 708 in the comprehensive rules document. Or Yawgatog.

http://www.yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R708

708.6(a & c) covers referring to costs. The tumblr-judge link mentioned above goes over the rational process of it.
>>
>>46451415
Alright, I understand why each side can be read separately then by BitJ's rules.

I still fail to see how casting a card "without paying it's mana cost" is not an alternate cost.
>>
>>46451296
>local game stores which wizards needs
I don't think Wizards needs games stores as much as we think.

While there is a fine balance to between sales and the health of your games stores, my opinion is that Wizards leans heavily on sales.

Stores have to host FNM events in order to get their wholesale pricing directly from Wizards. They are expected to host these events by any means they feel is feasible but the players are so fucking cheap that they probably run these things at a loss. You have staff running these 3+ hour things for maybe a price of a pack for admission, which goes towards prizing or directly to the player. If you jack up the admission to some $10-$15 people get all shitty and don't show up. Stores have to dedicate floor space to these events and there's no way that those events bring in nearly enough money to compensate for the increase in rent - which puts a ceiling on how large you can grow the Magic community let alone any other game league like tabletop or RPG you want to run. The challenge of growing the community but having not the physical space to support it means it is difficulty to regenerate the community if a large portion (groups of friends) drop out of the scene for a while.

Combine this with the fact that Wizards allows big retailer stores like Target, Gamespot, and Walmart to sell their shit and does not demand that they host events. They sell it at the same price and do none of the marketing work that Wizards forces stores to perform by hosting events.

Then you consider that the LGS model is nearly dead. People go to online retailers for cheaper prices and this includes Magic. And in response to this, Wizards makes no fucking effort to ensure that the supply of high-demand cards is accessible to smaller stores to ensure that there is local supply to make Standard run - this is an issue with their fucking Mythic Rarity.

If Wizards weren't complete shitters they would not force stores to run FNM.
>>
>>46451469
it would actually work, breaking and entering go on the stack as one instance, so worldspire worm's enter grave trigger wouldn't hit the stack until the entire effect resolves. interestingly enough, if you b&e an emrakul the rest of the graveyard will still get shuffled. this trick doesn't work with things like blightsteel though because it's a replacement effect
>>
>>46451469
Nah not running 10 bomvs, probably just a 3/3 split between breaking//entering and inkwell. Maybe a 2, 3 split, idk. I think I'm going to run some amount of draw discard like compulsive research or maybe thirst just to bin an inkwell. Only problem is Breaking//Entering is pretty shit if you're not hitting an inkwell off of it, idk I mean I'm gonna be running discard and kill spells so maybe I end up stealing their creature. I'll see how useful it can be.
>>
>>46451574
I was considering emrakul at first, but I think I want my bomb to be able to sit in the graveyard, just cause I might not always hit him, or maybe I want to discard him, or maybe cast breaking 1 turn, then entering the next idk.
>>
>>46451508
I don't know what to tell you. Look up a fuse card on the b gatherer, on of the rulings says
>If you cast a split card with fuse from your hand without paying its mana cost, you can choose to use its fuse ability and cast both halves without paying their mana costs.
>>
>>46451508
Actually you mentioned using possibility storm, which wouldn't let you fuse cards because fuse can only be used if you cast the card from your hand
>>
>>46451061
SCG and the like sponsor abs host magic events and with much better quality with wizards.
If wotc doesn't play nice do you think cfb will keep writing articles about how dank the newest cards are?
>>
>>46451620
>>46451506
I just realized what the source of my confusion is.

I've been casting things from my library without paying their mana costs. Brain in the Jar casts things from your hand. This allows a split-card to be cast for it's fuse cost.

Thanks for helping me clear it up, I thought my life was a lie for a second.

>>46451574
Oh that's nice, I was thinking it would hit it like Entering -> Breaking -> Breaking trigger resolves -> wurm trigger -> wurm trigger resolves -> entering trigger resolves, but I've demonstrated I have a poor grasp of split-card rulings. So it's literally Breaking//Entering -> Trigger partially resolves -> wurm hits yard -> trigger fully resolves -> wurm trigger fizzles?

If that's the case, >>46451588 Wurm and Emrakul might be superior options for your build.
>>
>>46451786
Good thing your life isn't a lie. It would suck if you were just a brain stuck in a jar, wouldn't it.
>>
>>46451786
yea, as far as I understand it, b&e (and other fuse cards) works similarly to cards like remorseless punishment, where no abilities can trigger until it's fully resolved.
>>
>Watching Japanese stream
>Spicy deck on camera
>Can see oath of Nissa, arbor elf, courser of kruphix
>Guy also has black, playing thought seize and brain maggots
>Can't make out rest of board or speak Japanese
Looked p cool. Wish I knew what he was playing
>>
>>46451849
to clarify, I mean abilities that would trigger from the first part of the spell
>>
>>46450939
I feel fucking cheated when I bought zendikar boosters, just getting back into magic and didn't realize how set specific a lot of the cards are.
> you may reveal a top down card
SUCK GOAT DICKS PARASITE SET THEMES
>>
>>46451865
sounds like black green
>>
>>46451876
You're retarded lol get out
>>
>>46451865
Arbor Elf makes me think there's some enchantments in there too. Elf+Utopia Sprawl is pretty sweet ramping.
>>
>>46451909
Playing the rock with some constellation synergies maybe?
>>
>>46451931
Honestly without seeing more of the deck I would never be able to tell you what the hell he was up to, but some kind of Constellation Rock seems possible. That's why the Japanese meta is so fun, so many things that just don't look like anything we'd expect get coverage.
>>
So here's what I have so far for my BUG Brain list.
24x Lands
4x Brain in a Jar
3x Breaking//Entering
2x Beck//Call
3x Far// Away
1x Down// Dirty
1x Kiora 1
2x Ashiok
3x Inkwell Leviathan
3x Damnation
2x Maelstrom Pulse
3x Abrupt Decay
2x Cryptic command
3x Mana leak
2x remand
2x thirst for knowledge

To be honest I want to find room for thought seize and serum visions or other 1 drops, but I don't know what to cut.
>>
>>46452024
Maybe I can cut beck//call for some discard, and maybe an shirk idk. Thing about beck//call is if you get brain hot damn is that value, if not it's garbage. My question is, is the payoff good enough to have a dead cars in your hand sometimes when you can't get a brain down.
>>
>>46452051
Maybe you can stop memeing faggot ?
>>
>>46452278
You got me bro XDDDD
I'm just gonna stop trying to come up with something cause you called it a meme
>>
>>46450163
So when is the ban list going live?

It comes out today right?
>>
>>46452450
It comes out today and I think it's in effect on the 8th
>>
>>46452459
Thanks anon.
>>
>>46450163
Imo this card blows but, hey I hope I eat my words.
>>
>>46450163
This is the easiest deck brew ever, the answer is, it won't work, period.

The timing of a lot instant and sorcery cards are really specific so the cards that make good use of Brain in a Jar are narrow. It's 2 mana so it's a bit slow. The worst part of it is that you need to spend a mana to use it's ability, so that combined with the before mentioned 2 cmc of the card makes it really mana inefficient. Granted, Aether Vial is a busted card, but cards gotta be slightly unfair in some ways to see play in modern.
>>
>>46452612
But anon I can turn 3 Inkwell leviathan
>>
>>46452612
I don't think this card is mana inefficientat all. I also don't think 2 mana is slow. On turn 3 you break even on mana investment, turn 4 it gains you 1 mana, turn 5 it gains you 2, turn 6 it gets 3, and then you can bring it back down and scry away some lands. It's not mana inefficient, it gains value every turn it's in play.
>>
>>46452612
Also forgot to mention that since you are forced to put a counter on it, then play a spell with the exact cmc cost, it makes it fairly inconsistent and inflexible.
>>
>>46452757
Thing is, modern games are often decided by turn 4. If that's just when your engine is getting online and it doesn't have immediate huge value, it's slow.
>>
>>46452024
The biggest problem with these brews is that the core is a shitty card.
>>
Which deck is better? Zombie Loam with creatures and stuff, or Assault Loam with Molten Vortex? I want to buy into it, but I am not sure which version.
>>
How long are we going to have to deal with people shitposting about brewing Zombie decks?
>>
>>46450818
Might as well get G/W Twin, it has Heliod's Pilgrim.
>>
>>46453694
there arent currently any good zombies in standard
>>
File: Fire_SpongeBob.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
Fire_SpongeBob.png
244 KB, 480x368
soon
>>
Posting again from other thread:

Bans:
Eye of Ugin
Gyoro's Vengeance

Unband:
None

Then some shit like, "After the banning of splinter twin, we wanted to see how the meta would settle. Unfortunately we didn't have the chance with Eldrazi becoming out of hand. With the ban to Eye of Ugin, we believe the new Eldrazi deck will at least survive with Eldrazi Temple without the ridiculous ability to throw down 8 power and toughness turn 1 that turns into 16+ toughness turn 2. We'd like to take this time to see how the meta stabilizes.

Gyoro's Vengeance hasn't broken the meta, but it's a card which enables turn 2 wins with no real ability t interact with the game. Modern is a turn 4 format blah blah."

You saw it here first
>>
>>46450163
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/716969950376697856
Modern master 74%
Duel Decks 26%

Are people really this retarded? MM is just a fucking cash grab, when there was time when you could actually have nice deals buying duel decks.
>>
>>46454541
Memedern Masters without a limited print run would be pretty sweet.
>>
>>46454321
I know Goryo's Vengeance is unfair but honestly how is that bannable. Grishoalbrand and similar are too dependent on the first hand to be a serious threat in competitive. They're completely cancerous, but if they ban Goryo why not banning Lantern, Treasure Hunt and all the other classic combo cards?
>>
>>46454680
Just my prediction :^)
>>
>>46454680
Modern doesn't have force to deal with "I win" hands which aren't supposed to exist in the format in the first place. See the banning of nearly all fast mana and Summer Bloom.
>>
>>46450163
Krak-clan ironworks and restore balance is the most interesting thing you can do with Brain in a Jar. Maybe jam it in eggs? Or make a weird artifact ramp deck that wins with Emmy?
>>
>>46454859
I can assure you that this card has no place in eggs, whatsoever.
>>
>>46455014
Yeah I suppose, but there might be a manarock/restore balance deck that can use the interaction with krak-clan, brain, and restore balance, but it's probably just worse than the cascade restore balance.
>>
File: 1455922408459.png (371 KB, 789x805) Image search: [Google]
1455922408459.png
371 KB, 789x805
>>46450163
delet this

I haven't bought my play set yet
>>
>>46453638
Neither loam sucks.
>>
what time are they supposed to release any ban announcements?
>>
>>46455209
They should be out quite soon I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>46455209
just keep refreshing http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive
>>
File: 83117850.jpg (98 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
83117850.jpg
98 KB, 506x337
>>46455209
the press conference should be starting any second now, pic related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSjTjah3uU
>>
>>46455258
Literally. Edge of your seat stuff.
>>
File: 1.jpg (214 KB, 1196x403) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
214 KB, 1196x403
>>46455258
What card is that robot in the middle? It looks cool.
>>
BANS
WHEN
>>
>>46455439
38 minutes
>>
>>46455447
Is there an actual timer?
>>
>>46454859
Restore Balance has a CMC of 0 so it doesn't work
>>
>>46455433
Cogwork librarian I believe
>>
>>46455454
No, but they confirmed on reddit last night that it will be at 10 CT
>>
>>46455471
>Cogwork librarian
It is indeed. Thanks!
>>
>>46455468
Activate brain in a jar, hold priority and sacrifice it to ironworks, brain in a jar's ability resolves, can't put a charge counter on it so you can cast 0cmc spell.
>>
>>46455561
>wasting a 2 mana and needing a 4 mana artifact to make use of a card
Not that guy but that sounds really good against decks like affinity. I hope playing slow clunky artifacts in a format like modern (where every deck dedicates a sideboard slot for affinity) works out for you
>>
File: feat_wk24_09a.jpg (92 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
feat_wk24_09a.jpg
92 KB, 620x400
IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
>>
File: file.png (204 KB, 798x417) Image search: [Google]
file.png
204 KB, 798x417
>>
>>46455746
If only
>>
>>46455757

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-04-04
>>
>>46455746
Nice try anon.
HOLY SHIT IT's TRUE
>>
>>46455746
FUCK ITS REAL
>>
File: kRBfXwD.jpg (315 KB, 2088x1464) Image search: [Google]
kRBfXwD.jpg
315 KB, 2088x1464
>>46455746
So it begins...
>>
>KILL ELDRAZI
>KILL TRON
>MADE BLUE CONTROL GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>46455746
>people thinking this kills eldrazi
>people thinking this will make control tier 1
>>
>>46455774
yeah, sword of the meek and AV are both almost sold out on MCM. didnt even know this could happen on mcm, oh well
>>
>>46455774
Good lord AV and SotM are going to spike HARD.
>>
AV just sold out at my online store for [spoilerAustralia[/spoiler] I knew I should have bought it when they were in stock for 28AUD. But checked the price on tcg/scg and then it was sold out.
>>
>>46455746

THOPTER SWORD
>>
>>46455833
>tfw I own 2 or 3 visions but decks that want it play it as a 4 of
Whelp. Fuck.
>>
>>46455897
sell them in a day or two. they will fall pretty quickly, even if they are in a successful deck
>>
File: 1454183434225.png (276 KB, 424x412) Image search: [Google]
1454183434225.png
276 KB, 424x412
>>
>>46455746

I went heavy into thopter foundry because it was cheap, my body is ready
>>
File: 235235.png (337 KB, 550x300) Image search: [Google]
235235.png
337 KB, 550x300
blue haters btfo

>mfw
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-04-10-59-47.png (646 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-04-10-59-47.png
646 KB, 1080x1920
>kikes
>>
Alright faggots let's get abrewin

Best Thopter sword shell? Will Tezzerator finally be a legit thing?
>>
Bought 4x Thopter Foundry for $2

Not sure if it'll go up or anything, but this seems legit.
>>
>>46455955
inb4 it's never reprinted, looking at you bitterblossom
>>
>>46455960

Tezzerator
Lantern Control

Hell, Mono U Tron can pack thopter sword
>>
>>46455746
MAKE TEZZERET GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>46455972
Foundry has a bunch of prints and won't move.
>>
Is visions confirmed for EM now?
>>
>>46455746
HAHAHAHA my SotM have just gained 10.000% in price

haha I am so fucking happy right now xD

now print Strix in Modern please, thanks!
>>
>>46456039

Foundry has 2 prints and can easily move as a 4 of in decks.

>>46455999

Blossom was reprinted in MM2
>>
File: wastelandstrangler.jpg (40 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
wastelandstrangler.jpg
40 KB, 265x370
>>
Next plane is going to be Kaladesh. Prepare yourselves for Thopter Winter.
>>
>>46456057
>Is visions confirmed for EM now?
I fucking hope so, this shit's getting ridiculous.
>>
>>46456039
>Won't move
>Sold out on Ebay and TCGPlayer
>>
Is ancestral worth running 4 of if you can't cheat it?
>>
>>46456057
>EM?
>>
>>46456140
Yup. Card is insane turn 1 and pretty good till turn 4. Gets worse later but that's cause it's hella slow
>>
>>46456147
eternalmasters, AV is staple in a tier 1 legacy deck, so it's plausible
>>
>>46456140
Shardless bug usually doesn't cheat it. Suspending it is still pretty fucking good bruh.
>>
Counter-burn viable now?
>>
>>46456168
>shardless bug
>tier 1
>>
Is Control going to dominate now with AV?
>>
>>46456199
Are you retarded or just memeing? It's easily a top3 deck.
>>
>>46456210
Nope
>>46456218
Imnot him but I play shardless bug. It's tier 2 and tier fun, not tier 1
>>
>>46456210
>They suspend Ancestral Visions
>Eldrazi process it immediately
Cant wait for the laughs
>>
>>46456251
it's metashare and tournament results show that it's tier 1, there is literally no evidence for it being tier 2
>>
>ban Eye of Ugin
>Eldrazi Temple still exists

Does wizards know that Vesuva exists?
>>
So can Thopter Foundry work in Modern now?
>>
>>46456289
Talk shit
Cite it
Show me your stats. I'm fine being wrong cause that means my deck is better than I think but it's bad against dedicated combo like dredge and delver and delver is insane in current legacy. Also aluren out values shardless bug
>>
>>46456321
Do you know that tapped lands are pretty bad in an aggro deck?
>>
>>46456321
How does it feel, living with fatal alcohol syndrome
>>
File: Chen_Shock.png (102 KB, 386x529) Image search: [Google]
Chen_Shock.png
102 KB, 386x529
>>46456089
>>46456280
>Eldrazi
>Can eat spells suspended in time
>Totally works within the rules
>>
>>46456334
it has the 3rd biggest metashare on mtgtop8 and had a top 8 finish in almost every SCG legacy event
>>
>>46456323
turn 1 disciple, turn 2 thopter foundry, turn 3 sword of the meek, turn 4 krarkklan ironworks win the game

unlikely but sure. Or just skip disciple and get infinite life turn 4, or turn 1 mana rock into banefire turn 4 once infinite mana. the brews are fun
>>
Is burn gonna splash blue again?
>>
So I actually want to get into MtG, without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

How terrible a decision is this?
>>
>>46456401
Not when it costs $50 per card.
>>
>>46456413
Impossible decision.

Or are you gonna play casual/pauper/EDH-lite?
>>
>>46456401
Is burn splashing black for dark confidant? Because that would be a much better card in burn than AV could ever hope to be.

there is your answer
>>
>>46456413
Find a better hobby.
>>
>>46456391
Mtgtop8 groups bug delver, shardless bug, and bug midrange in one grouping unfortunately
>>
>>46456424

Just casual, not looking for tourney play or anything.
>>
File: 1454549191938.png (2 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1454549191938.png
2 MB, 640x1136
Mfw I sold an eye of ugin expedition I pulled the day after the pro tour for 200 bucks
>>
>>46450375
How does it feel to be so wrong?
>>
>>46456391
Oh you mean the metashare called bug aggro midrange, that also consists of bug delver and every other bug build you retard?
>>
>>46456442
Oh, that's okay then. You can build a pauper deck for 20-30 bucks tops and have fun. Or just play kitchen table with friends with draft remnants or shit like that. Have fun.
>>
>>46456413
Pretty bad.
I started playing Magic three years ago and was very hyped for it, but when I realized I'd have to invest a lot of time and money I decided it was best to stop.
Nowadays I just play on Cockatrice once in a while.

But if you find a nice casual group to play budget decks I think that could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>46456428
Huh, never thought about running Dark COnfidant in Burn.

How well does it work?
>>
>>46456442

EDH is your format. If you want to keep a slight bit of modern competitiveness, look up Modern Mono Green Stompy. Great for FNMs. Cheap deck with only 6 rares
>>
File: 1390193720529.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1390193720529.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>46456428
so you are suggesting grixis burn? I like the way you think
>>
>>46456441
>>46456459
it's also 3rd highest on mtggoldfish
>>
>>46456428

>One of these things is a 2 mana creature that hurts you in the mirror and is easily killed and the other is a spell that puts 3 cards in your hand for 1 mana and triggers prowess
>>
File: 1115618948491.jpg (7 KB, 215x164) Image search: [Google]
1115618948491.jpg
7 KB, 215x164
>visions is now more than $50 on average
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

>>46456468
it's bad don't play it
>>
>>46456478
4 Turns
T
u
r
n
s
>>
>>46456464
>>46456473

I was thinking of black for colour. Maybe to expand into black/green or black/red.
>>
>>46456478
>one of these is a 2 mana threat and the other one does nothing for the first 4 turns and is a terrible top deck and stops you from a creature turn 1
>>
AV is still only $20 in points on puca, might still be able to trick some sniper bots putting it on your want list till the site updates
>>
>>46456503

No budget decks exist in those color combinations. For now anyway. Your real budget options that are still competitive at an FNM level are 8whack, Mono Green Stompy, Emeria Control and if you're OK shelling out 200 bucks, Taking Turns Combo
>>
>>46456468

It kills the mirror, is a slow T2 play, and is easily removed. Burn did play Cruise when it was legal, but Visions is more restricted because it's doesn't have instant gratification. Like most of Burns stuff, it is a terrible top deck late game, but it will probably win you the game when cast early.
>>
>>46456478
>>46456504
oh and I forgot black is actually a decent splash color for burn while blue is almost completely useless.
>>
>>46456504
>confidant
>a threat in burn
>when you have a billion other spells to use and play
Get thee hence, scoundrel, and turn not thy eye upon this site
>>
>>46456534
he specifically said he's only playing casually with friends
>>
>>46456550
>>46456504
>implying burn wants either
Burn is a pretty tight deck right now,
>>
File: 7.png (151 KB, 304x408) Image search: [Google]
7.png
151 KB, 304x408
>>46455746
>>
>>46456550
you idiot have to realize that I just pointed out that AV is much worse than Dark Confidant in Burn which is already bad and sees no play.
>>
>>46456567
Yeah, without Cruise, Burn is pretty much dedicated to Naya colors
>>
>>46456560
Right
>>46456503
B/G you can go Infect
B/R you can go some form of BR aggro
>>
File: 65.png (81 KB, 388x223) Image search: [Google]
65.png
81 KB, 388x223
>>46455746
>TFW I have 2 copies of visions sitting in my binder
>>
>Sword of the Meek already at 12 bucks and climbing

Ayy
>>
File: smug_arlinn.jpg (17 KB, 218x212) Image search: [Google]
smug_arlinn.jpg
17 KB, 218x212
>>46456627

Not as righteous as my foil Meek.
>>
>>46456641
it's an uncommon that was a printed a couple of times and will most likely only see play in one tier 2 deck

no way that that price is sustainable
>>
>>46456641

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/productcatalog/product/show?newSearch=false&ProductType=All&IsProductNameExact=false&ProductName=Sword%20of%20the%20meek%20

$22+

>>46456662

Uncommon from future sight with one printing. Idk what you're smoking.
>>
Reminder that Visions is a terrible topdeck.
>>
>>46456697
yeah yeah I just realized that it was Ancestral Vision that had a reprint in a duel deck and not Sword
>>
for the first time in a long time, I 100% agree with the ban announcements for modern. I feel like someone should buy maro a drink.
>>
>>46456787
and poison it
>>
>>46450163
is visions too slow for delver?
>>
Will Twincucks stop crying now?
>>
RIP Eldrazi, are we #AffinityBoys yet?
>>
>>46456818
it's certainly too slow for the faster RUG builds, but it might be playable in the more grindy Grixis versions.
>>
>>46456787
There's still a LOT of cards that could be unbanned so don't be so quick to praise them. It's taking far too long for Modern's banlist to shape up.

>>46456818
Visions suffers from the same problem that the Meme in the Ice suffers from; it's a garbage topdeck. For this reason I can't see it having much of an effect on Modern.
>>
File: blood.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
blood.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>46456787
Now they just need to work on reprints.
>>
>>46456731
Which is why I won't be running it. I remember drawing it in Standard T3 or later and pokerfacing hard as shit while silently wishing it was anything else.

Maybe if you could flash it back with Snapcaster, but you can't.
>>
File: 1455278108148.png (469 KB, 701x313) Image search: [Google]
1455278108148.png
469 KB, 701x313
What's the go to infect deck list?
>>
>>46456838
>comparing visions to meme in the ice
While visions is not nearly as good cause you can't brainstorm it away or cascade into it with shardless bug, saying that visions is as bad a topdeck as meme in ice is ridiculous. In a topdeck war in a decent blue control deck suspending this with a stalled board state is pretty much a win. It's not that bad, and un 4 turns that value.
>>
File: c.png (411 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
c.png
411 KB, 620x350
I'm not very good with paint.net but I tried my best with the source material I could find
>>
4 Delver
4 Snaps
4 Stormchaser Mage

3 Electrolyze
4 Bolt
4 Helix
4 Path
3 Remand
2 Spellsnare
4 Serum Visions
4 Probe

1 Arid Mesa
2 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls

Do you guys think that I can fit Ancestral Visions into this deck or is it fine how it is?
>>
>>46456832

Nope, affinity cant do jack to flying chump blockers
>>
>>46456912
Anything and everything that Tom Ross builds or plays.

>>46456943
Saved.
>>
>>46456534
>Emeria Control
considering the deck costs around 400-500 I wouldn't call it budget like stompy.
>>
>>46456950
No. As others have pointed out AV is a shit poor topdeck, and this list has enough of those as it is. And no, you cannot flash back a card with no mana cost.
>>
>>46456943
{<>}
>>
If people are going nuts with SotM, Foundry and Time Sieve, is Esper Tokens going to be gud? Or at least decent?
>>
>>46456970
Good Titan Control is expensive because it requires a number of Jace, Merfolk Looter, and Snapcaster Mage.
>>
>WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO MODERN
-SotM control/combo starts beating the linear/unfair decks
-Jund/Abzan start seeing more play because Decay/Scooze hose the control engine and combo hard
>>
>>46456976
It's {C}, you dense cunt.
>>
We all knew eldrazi was going to get fucked because
its cannon
>>
>>46457076
I tried to make an anus
>>
>>46457062
if there is a lot of SotM and aren't playing any abzan that isn't abzan coco you will be doing it wrong
>>
>>46457062
>what will really happen
People speculate hard on unbanned cards then nobody uses them because the meta is still affinity/burn/infect/tron/piles of shit
>>
>>46457019
Mentor has potential with SotM
>>
File: mershiggy.jpg (30 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
mershiggy.jpg
30 KB, 250x250
Hooray, a format with more Islandwalk targets for me! :^)
>>
What are the cheapest fetchlands you can run for aura hexproof and still be efficient?
>>
>>46457225
windswept heath and wooded foothills
>>
So I'm doing like a blue black tezzeret agent of Bolas control, what do you guys think?
23x Lands
3x Tezzeret, agent of Bolas
4x sword of the meek
4x thopter foundry
2x Dismember
1x murderous cut
2x Lili
3x thirst for knowledge
3x Damnation
4x ensnaring bridge
4x Mana leak
3x Cryptic
4x chalice of the void
So just chalice for 1, then drop a bridge, find your combo and draw a card, swing lethal?
>>
>>46457164
>implying fish was ever good in anyour format
>>
>>46456915
>implying control decks will be a thing in linear aggro the format
>>
>>46457304
We've been in Linear Aggro: The Format since day 1, mate.
>>
>>46456533
I'm glad some US Army vet from Lousiana sent me 3 of them last week. I had a feeling this might happen.
>>
Faeries just got better
>>
>>46457518
Still trash though.
>>
>>46457518
Why? You think Visions is good in Modern? Top fucking lel.
>>
>>46450260
Been testing a mono green eldrazi deck and it seems really strong. It compensates for the lack of eye of ugin by being dense in big eldrazi creatures like thought-knot, oblivion sower, world breaker, etc, along with karn liberated support. Control decks couldn't do anything to it and it had inevitability against hatebears even against several ghost quarters and tectonic edges. Eldrazi temple makes the deck extremely consistent along with the tron lands allowing it to survive through multiple land hate and I found myself often just searching for a second temple so I could play a thought-knot or reality smasher on turn 3.
>>
>>46457527
I don't know. T1 Ancestral V, T2 Bitterblossom sounds like a pretty good start to me
>>
>>46457574
Then you draw Visions T4 and suck all of the dicks. If you think Visions will have any more impact on the format than Bitterblossom you're having a laugh.
>>
>>46457254
Got it, thanks. I was looking at Reid Duke's old list, and saw the Misty Rainforest's and Verdant Catacombs - and those are far too expensive for my taste, especially when Horizon Canopies are so costly.
>>
>>46457571
Oops, forgot to mention it was mono green eldrazi tron. I predict that this is the direction tron will go now that eye of ugin is banned.
>>
>Sword of the meek already past the point of no return
>figure I can at least grab a set of thopter foundry to brew with
>every time I click check out the foundrys in my cart have already been sold
>happens 5 fucking times
>only foundrys lefts are $5+ after shipping
Fucking jews
>>
>>46457644
mind to share the list? i'm testing it right now and i'm not quite sure of worldbreaker
>>
>>46457628
>you're having a laugh
I will be with my hand full of counterspells and board full of 1/1 faerie rogue tokens
>>
I really hate speculation. How absolutely screwed are my menfolk now?
>>
File: 54325432543263426543643.png (10 KB, 549x166) Image search: [Google]
54325432543263426543643.png
10 KB, 549x166
>>46457668
Trying world breaker as a two of for now. Its pretty much the standard tron list with eldrazi temples and eldrazi in it. World breaker acts as a pseudo karn 5 and 6. I really need to emphasize that this deck is extremely consistent even through multiple land hate and all the matches I played were without sideboards.
>>
>>46457708
Not that bad. You're losing a good MU against Eldrazi, but you could get SOMETHING useful from Vision. Maybe.
>>
>>46457668
I'd almost argue that worldbreaker acts as your inevidability along with ulamog unless control brings graveyard hate specifically for it (which probably would be a bad idea) or if they waste an path to exile on it.
>>
>>46457751
lol! you're posting on mtgsalvation too, i saw your post already
>>
>>46457774
>Merfolk
>Good against Eldrazi
Stop. If they didn't explode before you can drop Spreading Seas, you're playing against a bad hand.
>>
>>46457774
Only if it falls in price, I can't exactly afford to double the price of the deck. Can't exactly afford 50 dollar chalices either.
Perhaps I should just stick with legacy.
>>
>>46457797
I think its well positioned against control despite not having eye of ugin. Really I want to show people why banning eye of ugin over eldrazi temple was a mistake by proving that this actually makes tron stronger overall and so far my testing supports this.
>>
>>46457818
>spreading seas your Temple, attack with my Islandwalk dudes
Like, what? Are you even playing the same game as me? Eldrazi doesn't get the nuts every hand, dude. Don't make it out to be an ungodly powerful deck that gets everything it needs exactly when it needs it.
>>
>>46457853
fuck yes, i get a set of temple when the ban speculation staterted, and begin to test it that way, and it's awesome how the eldrazi temple by themself can win you the games
>>
bought into U/B Tezz to get into Legacy without spending a fortune
bought pieces over months coming closer to a finished deck with each purchase

>4xChalice for 4€ each
>4xTezz for 15€ each
>3xSotM for like 50 cents each
>4xPolluted for 11€ each

my deck has easily gained 100% value and is now finally playable in modern

today is a good day
>>
File: 1243564756453.jpg (171 KB, 1000x457) Image search: [Google]
1243564756453.jpg
171 KB, 1000x457
>>46457956
fugging 4chan won't upload my family picture
>>
>>46457977
>ywn play Legacy with a Tezzeret control player because everyone at your LGS is too busy circlejerking over Miracles, Eldrazi, and Delver
>>
Will AV work well with Titi?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.