[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a better Goblin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 25
File: Goblin.jpg (60 KB, 488x518) Image search: [Google]
Goblin.jpg
60 KB, 488x518
/tg/, I love Goblins. However, most of the time, goblins are very low on or even underneath the totem pole. I'd like to build a better race/species of Goblin. Everything from biology and culture to magics and technologies.

Will you help me build a better Goblin? What are some of your ideas that make Goblins better?
>>
>>46311524
add 'hob' in front
>>
Hats, big gaudy impressive hats
>>
make them green gnomes
>>
>>46311557
Well Goblins come in all shapes and sizes, all types of gobin-oids are welcome to be discussed here.

>>46311562
For what purpose? Are they a status symbol, the gaudier the better?
>>
>>46311581
Green skinned is classic, but what about a dark browned skinned ones?
>>
>>46311524
make them really good at moneyhandling and have them eat human babies and drink their blood. Also bump up their IQ
>>
>>46311598
Bigger the hat, the more important you are, hats can be stolen/acquired to increase social standing, which leads to shenanigans
>>
beak dogs. They make life-bonds with beak dogs.
>>
File: Beak Dog.png (206 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Beak Dog.png
206 KB, 500x500
>>46311684
>beak dogs
Pretty sure you're entrenched in the pic related camp aren't ya?

>>46311644
No Jew Goblins. I like smart Goblins, but not Jew Goblins. And eating baby pies and babybloodwine should be a delicacy, not a norm.

>>46311648
Interesting... but still why hats?
>>
How about we pick an environment, and come up with a Goblin population based on that.
>>
>>46311796
Why not hats? Plus it's a very obvious way to show your social standing, not; ooohhh he is this that and the other, instead it's LOOK AT MY FUCKING HAT YOU PEASANTS
>>
>>46311872
they live in dense mushroom jungles where it is constantly raining muck and grime
>>
>>46311910
Would also explain the need for hats to keep the gunk off your head/face
>>
>>46311880
I see where you're coming from but It just seems kind of dickish to be honest. I'd beat the shit out of some guy for just strolling by and showing off his hat all obnoxiously.

>>46311910
Alright, Fungal Jungle.

>>46311927
But then the hats would get all dirty, gaudy items are meant to be shown so you can appear better than everyone else, if they're all gonna be in this environment this idea just seems rather... dumb. I think its gonna end up being practicle hats in the Fungal Jungle.
>>
I’ll direct you to the goblins within Ebberon. The Goblinoid races (goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears) had an empire established on the main continent of Khorvaire long before the humans came along. They did this not because they were powerful than your standard D&D goblins, but because they were organized and recognized the power of cooperation, instead of being outright hostile towards anything not goblin-y enough for them. Goblinoids are actually present in metropolitan societies in Ebberon, even if they almost always occupy the lower classes.

If you don’t want to stray from the standard Goblin, replace their hostility with cunning. If you’re a short greenskin and you know that a stiff wind can knock you over, you’d rely upon trickery, cooperation, and deception to get your way. In a social setting, a particularly sly goblin would get others to do what he wanted without lifting a finger. In a fight, goblins wouldn’t ever engage unless on their own terms. Without traps, superior numbers, or a hidden ace-up-the-sleeve, a Gobbo would never stand around and fight unless cornered. Just because you’re malicious doesn’t mean you’re stupid
>>
>>46312061
That's they joy of the hat system; you a lowly peasant, along comes some dick in his awesome hat, strolling through the fungi jungle, with no body guards, you think to yourself that you've had enough of being a peasant, one quick blow and now you have an awesome hat, kind of like the dark eldar system but with hats instead of torture and mass murder
>>
>>46312072
Mhm... I want to stay as far away from established Goblins as possible, building off of another just seems cheap and unoriginal.

Personally I like the idea of Goblins being all xenophobic. They shouldn't be mingling in cities, they should have their own cities.
>>
File: gob among mushrooms.jpg (68 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
gob among mushrooms.jpg
68 KB, 720x1080
All Posts must now be accompanied by cute Non-Lewd Goblins.
>>
The Goblins from Wildbow's Pact are very good, actually threatening little manifestations of filth, spite, and malice.
>>
File: sad.jpg (139 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
139 KB, 600x600
Make them SAD
>>
File: dapper-goblin.jpg (50 KB, 504x700) Image search: [Google]
dapper-goblin.jpg
50 KB, 504x700
Why hello peasants
>>
>>46312182
Hat shaped cities. The best goblins live at the top.
>>
>>46312178
I don't want to call it dumb... but its dumb. This kind of social system just isn't practical, if you could just knock the hat off of a "noble" and then suddenly be a noble, whats to stop everyone from just fighting each other to death over a "noble" hat?

Whats to stop the destruction of all the other hats? In the end you would end up with everyone murdered over a hat? I just can't get behind this idea. Maybe if it was only important among the higher ranking goblins and the peasants really couldn't give a rats, but as it is, this idea is just... dumb. Sorry.

>>46312213
No, no cute Goblins. Bad Anon... Cute is not better in this thread... You can still post them though if you want, but no cute goblins.

>>46312278
That tail is bothering me.
>>
I like the idea of gremlins and goblins being the same race, with gremlins being much more technologically advanced and well educated, but I'm not sure what to do with this idea.
>>
>>46312384
How about Gremlins be a term to describe Tech-savvy Goblins? They just have a knack for creating and tinkering new technology.
>>
>>46312318
Hats for nobles would be a good idea actually, like one hat per noble house, with internal strife over who gets to wear the hat, whilst peasants are more concerned over the constant rain of crap from the fungi jungle to give a rat's arse, all they see is that guy has a hat, woop-de-doo, well better get back to raking dirt
>>
So Fungal Jungle... Obviously there must be a reason for living here, do the mushrooms perhaps have strange properties?

>>46312435
That idea is actually really nice! I could work with that!
>>
>>46311524
>Goblin Hitler attempts to build his Übermensch
Huh, good plot hook. I hope I get a chance to use this
>>
>>46312523
Well lets discuss that then? Do you want bigger stronger goblins? Smarter? Magically Attuned? Would your Goblin Hitler kill all other goblins while trying to breed his preferred traits?
>>
>>46311524

In my last campaign, Goblins were sort of a mixed bag. They used to have a continent spanning empire that was based underground, while the Elves rules most of what was above ground for lack of competition.

When the two empires finally realized that they were living on top of each other and started conflicted for resources,it ended up being a prolonged war that was in a stalemate for centuries. The Elves were individually more badass, but here were way more goblins and they replenished their numbers faster. The Goblins invented Trolls to wreck the Elves shit, since every Elvish fighter lost was a major blow. The Elves responded by importing human mercenaries from a distant land to kill the trolls as expendable cannon fodder, in return for lands after the war was over. The Goblins tried to make a new kind of soldier that was as cunning and tactical as men but physically stronger and more numerous and then that blew up in their faces when the new creation - the orcs - rebelled against their weaker masters.

Between Orc rebellions from within and elvish attacks from without, the Goblin kingdoms totally collapsed. Most of the goblins were killed, the rest were scattered or taken as slaves by the orcs. Modern goblins have almost nothing in common with their proud and powerful ancestors, and much the unique goblin magics that made that empire strong are lost to time. But it would be unwise to completely underestimate them, as every so often you come across a goblin with enough malign cleverness to remind you that these were once the great enemy of the elves at the height of their power.

Beware old goblins you meet in the deep tunnels that wear no chains. They have lived long and survived much, and know secret words of power.
>>
Goblin hat guy read Girl Genius and wants you to make Goblins Jaegars.
>>
>>46312471
If I remember correctly from old warhammer fluff, don't some goblins get hammer on fungus to create beserkers, also look in to the usage of mushrooms by Vikings and Saxons for some ideas for uses of fungi, also fungi induced spirit journeys ala shamanism

Back to hats; the 1 hat per noble house hold would allow for suitable intrigue in gaining control over said hat, marriage, asasination attempts, think back to old kings ensuring their dynasty in feudal Europe, but instead of blood lines, it's hat lines
>>
>>46312585
He starts using "weaker breeds" as foot soldiers and guardians for his citadel deep in some massive dungeon or cave network where they attempt to breed stronger, smarter goblins. Their intent is to eventually wipe out all the other orkoids they would supplant
>>
>>46312639
That's... to cliche I think, the mushroom berserker thing has been used to much I think.

Interesting, and I guess the older the hat the more and better the baubles on it that make it gaudier? Little trinkets to show deeds done or things the family has earned throughout its existence. I like it.

>>46312591
Very nice. But still doesn't give me much besides fluff.

>>46312662
Perfect Goblin Hitler.
>>
Played a gobber alchemist bounty hunter in iron kingdoms had a fun time was often times used in sneaky demolition roles. When ever shit hit the senpai with the party I would try to initiate "plan B" which was a belt of grenades I kept within my jacket. Every time the party would restrain me I nearly managed it in a brothel when we were ambushed but I got KOd by a party member. Fun time though got to do some crazy shit.
>>
>>46312182
>building off of another just seems cheap and unoriginal
Then why are you including goblins at all?
>>
>>46314292
The Goblins are the subject, its how they're portrayed that's unoriginal.
>>
When I think of the areas Goblins actually have an advantage in over other races, only three things come to mind:
1. stealth-related activities- thievery, assassination, reconnaisance, etc.
2. breeding- fuckers multiply like hideous green two-legged rats, somehow
3. archery- with absolutely no advantages in melee, ranged is the go-to for goblins, and a goblin can make a 'serviceable' bow and arrows out of damn near anything.

I don't know what to say about anything else. I've never gotten behind the tropes of goblins as master craftsmen.
>>
That idea some threads ago about applying tiefling style mutations on goblins has started to grow on me.
>>
>>46313248
>whenever shit hit the senpai

lol
>>
>>46311524
I like to think as goblins as weak, but very smart, quick and stealthy and with a decent shot.
Maybe goblins, by sheer force of wit and some good old 'hit 'im in the eyes' type of negotiation, would be able to get in front of many orkish tribes, maybe even being able to unite many against a stronger enemy.
Think of it as green Temujin.
>>
>>46317661
Explain, if you'd please.

>>46317610
>>46317745
Sneaky and Good/Decent Shots. This is something nice, but being stealth oriented and shooting from the shadows is rather cowardly. Now if they could use Team tactics to corral or separate their foes so they can make use of their good shots, that would be nice.
>>
>>46319134

This almost sounds like an advocation for trap mastery as well, but I don't really think of goblins as master trap artisans, and even if they were, we'd be getting dangerously close to making them all but interchangeable with kobolds in aesthetics at that point.
>>
>>46320695
Never liked Kobolds, I always make them extinct or non existent, so that was never an issue with me.
>>
GYPSY BAT GOBLINS WHO RAISE GIANT BATS LIKE HUNTING HAWKS/DOGS

SURPRISE TWIST, THEY ARENT NECESSARILY EVIL, BATS ARE CUDDLY
>>
>>46324321
>>
File: нпао.png (2 MB, 975x1015) Image search: [Google]
нпао.png
2 MB, 975x1015
There're two ways:
Middle asia:Goblins as Yakshas:Basically fairies on steroids. They cast,they twist, they slay ,they punch.
Or
European way:
Underground demons with drow-tier society(because they technically are drows) and demonic traits(urge to make deals,superior magical power).At this point "goblin" is just an adverb for gnome,dwarf or kobold.
>>
so like...orcs?
>>
File: frenchbulldogsf3.jpg (25 KB, 350x289) Image search: [Google]
frenchbulldogsf3.jpg
25 KB, 350x289
I like the idea of goblins with french bulldog faces
>>
>>46312318
It sounds pretty reasonable for a lighter tone fantasy setting. Also, they're goblins. They're usually pretty fucking dumb, or at least "differently smart". Instead of your social station determining which hat you wear, which hat you wear determines social station. It is weird and backwards, just like goblins are. That doesn't mean they can't have laws determining specific times of the year where hat stealing is legal.

Maybe they have a big free-for-all every year that results in a lot of deaths to help keep their explosive population down.

Maybe the Law of Hats was designed by the god/wizard/sufficiently fertile pile of sapient mud that created the goblins as a way of organizing them, and there's a big yearly free-for-all called Hat Day to organize everyone's jobs for next year and reduce their often booming population. Hat Day is only suspended in times of war or emergency. So goblins are super aggressive towards their neighboring races and always at war, because while they are at war society remains organized and goblin nobles retain their power base.

Maybe goblins recognize the Hat Sovereignty of other races/monsters, so a goblin noble might not be a goblin at all, but a dragon wearing a tiny dumb looking hat. The dragon, or ogre, or evil wizard would win Hat Day every single year (at a cost to their dignity).

Imagine Vargaorth the Lich-Lord at the head of his mighty goblin army, wearing a dumb looking green and orange starfish hat with silver tassels and ostrich feathers.
>>
>>46311524
Have you looked at pathfinder goblins?
>>
Just copy Russia, they haven't won a single war without massive casualties and shit tactics, but because of their superior might, they always win. Make a gigantic kingdom of goblins, so they affect everyone politically and military..ly.
>>
>>46312182
>>46311872
I assume you're familiar with Kowloon Walled City? Imagine something like that, where the goblins have their own sort of independent administrative districts within other cities, and between their limited space and population growth, are forced to build those cities as tall and dense as possible.
>>
>>46326919
Yeah, but I don't wanna be taking stuff from other goblins as much as possible.

>>46327150
Oh yes! I love tall cities, and even "ground scrapers" (stalactite cities.)
>>
>>46327032
I want Goblins, not Lenins.

Actually, it does sound nice, but I just wanted to make that joke. Red Goblins... That would be funny.
>>
>>46327566
How about Space Goblins? Futuristic esthetics, advanced or "advanced" technology, being mildly competent competent. Actually be something nice.
>>
>>46327711
Also, the Goblins I use can't breed as fast using their own females, only giving birth one or two Goblins and it taking considerably longer for gestation. Something along the lines of them being stronger and better than the other way.

The other way is that they kidnap the females of other species to use them like breeding stock and they give birth to litters of weaker goblins much faster. So you could have Goblin Raiding Fleets kidnapping females across the stars.
>>
Actually, latching onto the goblin Hitler idea why not make the whole gig about gobos that they evolve much faster than all the other races. It doesn't always have to be a good thing, almost like with grapes you have good batches and bad batches. Sometimes the year is dry and a ton of gobos die, then there's just not enough food, and then all of a sudden there's a million goblins who can spend days without food and there's a good few years ahead. Then there's just another disease and the whole population dies down. Goblins are sort of a plague from a far-off massive fungi infected island that the mainland *insert general fantasy world* has to deal with every once in a while like locusts or Jews
>>
>>46328375
Very interesting Idea! I like it!
>>
File: image.png (699 KB, 900x1155) Image search: [Google]
image.png
699 KB, 900x1155
Did someone say, "Fancy Goblins"?
>>
File: GoblinGirl.jpg (202 KB, 1253x776) Image search: [Google]
GoblinGirl.jpg
202 KB, 1253x776
>>46311524

Do you want me to just give you my entire headcanon of the Goblinoid family tree?

You see, I really like a lot of different interpretations of goblins. Be they malicious little ankle-biters, or wretched things that go bump in the night, or alien fey-like creatures, or even seedy and sultry underdogs with street smarts. So, I try to reconcile how all of these interpretations would exist at the same time in the same world.
>>
>>46330594
I would actually!
>>
File: Goblin Fruit.jpg (37 KB, 288x392) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Fruit.jpg
37 KB, 288x392
Still the best brainstorming session on goblins /tg/ has had:

>>http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17037845/

Goblins as refugees from Faerie, where the bulk of their populace live as slaves under the Fey. Redcaps are political extremists who want to re-take their homeland (this is why they garb themselves in iron despite being fey creatures themselves) while hobgoblins (in the traditional sense, IE house elves) are refugees who have settled on the mortal plane and partially integrated into society.
>>
File: dndgoblin.jpg (57 KB, 429x488) Image search: [Google]
dndgoblin.jpg
57 KB, 429x488
>>46330999

>Ancient Goblins

Ancient Goblins look a lot like pic related, and despite their name are not extinct. They are simply rare and reclusive due to suffering from years of competition against their half-goblin cousins. During the Human and Half-Goblin war, pure goblin enclaves were also attacked, pushing the race even further from civilization.

They are the wretched, filthy, xenophobic, gaunt-looking mystics who think little of using the most abhorrent of practices to extricate use from anybody who dares to intrude upon their world. And for the ancient Goblins, the definition of "intrusion" is usually "entering my field of vision." They are somewhat primate-like in stature and their skin is knobbly, and varies from yellows, to greens, to the tar blacks of subterranean goblins (the oldest of all goblin subspecies). Their societies can be found in deep woods, swamps, mountain warrens, and caves, but are rare in any case. Stories of goblins eating children and weaving the foulest of curses abound in folklore.
>>
>>46331226

>Half-Goblins (or Modern Goblins/City Goblins)

Half-Goblins (often simply referred to as just "Goblins" by other races due to Ancient Goblins being so rare) look a lot like World of Warcraft Goblins, having overall more body volume than their ancient forebears. Though modern, city-dwelling Goblins do not look monstrous, their exaggerated elfin features are sometimes considered homely by the standards of the other races. It varies, but the males get an especially bad rap in the looks department, due to their noses and chins being so pointy they are reminiscent of a crescent. In Half-Goblin culture, however, large noses, chins, and ears on men are associated with virility. The real curse of their obviously non-human features is that it lays bare their heritage. The Goblins that are now a common sight in human cities are the distant but direct product of a foul mixing of blood between the grotesque, witch-like goblins of the wilds and unknown humanoid mates. No matter how successful, well-liked, or fair-faced they are in life, this dirty fact looms over the identity of the Goblin individual like a curse.

(1/2)
>>
File: hows_about_it - Copy.png (405 KB, 821x465) Image search: [Google]
hows_about_it - Copy.png
405 KB, 821x465
>>46331290

(2/2) Continued.

Half-Goblins have the dubious honor of being stereotyped as opportunistic, hedonistic, morally-flexible underdogs who don't just profit from intrigue, but relish it with style. They are second-class citizens with a first-rate deathgrip on the naughty bits of society. Urban Half-Goblin culture originated from refugees who surrendered or survived during a massive, military-forced "dissolving" of the many rapidly spreading and increasingly voracious Half-Goblin tribes. Settling in slums outside of the city proper, they were faced with poverty within a society that thought of them as a plague. Urban Goblin culture evolved to be simultaneously ingratiating yet somewhat intimidating to humans, while at the same retaining a devil-may-care approach to social limitation as a response to their own damning heritage. Goblins can be sociopath socialites who love to climb up the unseen ladder of power, and aloof outsiders who don't care how lowly they're regarded. Goblin parts of town housed all of the suppressed taboos and obsessions of the human mind that desperately needed a place to live, and over time the development of new slums was necessitated as the old slums grew too lavish. Now, there's a "Goblin part of town" in every city, and more often than not their bombastic scandalousness is exceeded only by their property values.
>>
File: pathfinder_goblin_sorcerer.jpg (193 KB, 474x648) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder_goblin_sorcerer.jpg
193 KB, 474x648
>>46331354

>Gremlins

As Gnomes are humanoids directly connected to the fey, Gremlins are a goblinoid offshoot with the faintest of fey blood and/or spirit. While Gnomes embody the jovial, nature-loving, enchanting aspects of fairies that people romanticize, Gremlins embody the maniacal, alien, amoral, and chaotic nature of fairies. I imagine Gremlins to be like Pathfinder Goblins, but slightly smaller, furred over most of their body (like original-style Kobolds, think Kobolds Ate My Baby), and with a high aptitude for tinkering and sabotaging, be it intentional or otherwise. Gremlins are shades of brown in both skin and fur, and live in roving animalistic colonies, but sometimes base themselves out of something like a cave so that they can hide all of their toys there. All Hail King Torg!
>>
File: uruk_hai.jpg (49 KB, 600x240) Image search: [Google]
uruk_hai.jpg
49 KB, 600x240
>>46331384

>Orcs

The incorrigibly bellicose proud warrior race we all know. Full-blooded orcs typically only interact with big cities (the sort of society most likely to have a use for the vilified races) as individuals looking for mercenary work, due to separating from their tribe for a multitude of possible reasons. Orcs aren't furred, but sport a lot of body hair. Their skin is thick and course, typically brownish green in color, and their noses are flatter and broader than humans. The super duper evil subterranean orcs look like a lot like Uruk Hai: a deep blackish red, their skin both oily and flaky as if they were covered in scabs.

The aggression and pain-based meritocracy of most Orc tribes creates a lot of unnecessary outcasts. Sometimes the "weak" and disgraced escape, sometimes the upstart just cause too much friction and manage to leave with their lives and honor intact, and other times the simple rebel nature of the Orc sparks even within a society he is completely comfortable within. The border lands are dotted with the occasional Orcish ronin.
>>
File: Hobgoblin.jpg (14 KB, 280x271) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin.jpg
14 KB, 280x271
>>46331421

>Hobgoblins

Hobgoblins are a visual link between Goblins and Orcs. It is speculated that Hobgoblins are either a common ancestor between them, or the one closest genetically to a now extinct ancestor, with trolls and ogres being connected to an even older vertex.

Hobgoblins are between humans and orcs in mode height, but have a slightly squatter height to width ratio. They have completely slick, yellow skin, nostril slits instead of a nose, pointed ears like the rest, and slightly longer arms. The classic mental profile of the Hobgoblin is that of the cold and calculating manhunter. Hobgoblins are more willing to choose mercenary work as their way of life than Orcs, cooperating with civilized free-enterprising entities, yet at the same time are even less likely to have good or honorable tendencies. They are rather rare.

Pictured: an exceptionally buff and hairy Hobgoblin, perhaps Half-Orc.
>>
File: Trundle-Classic-Original.jpg (334 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Trundle-Classic-Original.jpg
334 KB, 1920x1080
>>46331515

>Trolls

Trolls. Trolls are extremely disparate, and speculated to have relation to the fey due to their magical nature. Some are lanky with huge hands and big noses, others are rotund. Some have tails with bristly hair at the end, some do not. Some have warty, grey skin that gives them a rocky appearance, while others are mostly just balls of fur with big tusked mouths.

There are a few things trolls typically share physiologically and socially, however. Trolls live in forests, caves, and on mountains in non-tribal, familial societies that are ruled by anybody who bothers to clean up the place (always a matriarch). They rarely interact with other sentient beings, but are the classic natural enemy of Gnomes and will harass gnomish neighbors. Not so rarely, a troll becomes a hermit, staking out new territory in a natural formation or ruin. Hermit trolls vary wildly in disposition. They may be exceptionally aggressive, exploitative, reclusive, cannibalistic, laid-back or even friendly. Trolls are not typically known to be bright or classy, but are sometimes possessed of a foul cunning.

On top of being hardy in general, Trolls' bodies are able to regenerate flesh wounds at a supernaturally fast rate. It can be observed by the naked eye within seconds.
>>
>>46331226
>>46331290
>>46331354
>>46331384
>>46331421
>>46331515

Very nice, I like how you have this set up. I really love how you have the modern Goblin set up too. I really prefer for female goblins to be easy on the eyes so that's nice.
>>
File: ur204_krenko.jpg (114 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
ur204_krenko.jpg
114 KB, 620x453
>make Goblins better?

More Goblins. Never enough Goblins.
>>
File: Goblin.jpg (38 KB, 579x519) Image search: [Google]
Goblin.jpg
38 KB, 579x519
PSA: final fantasy xi did goblins better than any other fantasy setting
>>
>>46331643
Everything except his ears are covered, why?
>>
File: listen 'ere you little shit.png (85 KB, 741x667) Image search: [Google]
listen 'ere you little shit.png
85 KB, 741x667
new idea, Goblins are like ants, they breed in millions but are weak like shit tier guardsmen. they live underground in tiny ass narrow tunnelsystems and reproduce like fish, fertilizing thousands of eggs att a time. only way they move around is in their tunnels that thousands die to just dig out, sometimes they open upp a hole in the ground and basically swarm the farmland like a locust plague, they also have a few "smart" goblins running the show. they only have acces to stone so they only make weapons and tools out of sharpened stone or hard shit-clay.
>>
File: Kobold_FFXIV_Art_1.jpg (101 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
Kobold_FFXIV_Art_1.jpg
101 KB, 600x418
>>46331663
FFXI/FFXIV goblins have incredibly sensitive noses. The mask contains herbs, perfumes, and such to cover the scent of just about everything the outside world has to offer. Think plague doctors. Not entirely sure why they need full masks for that instead of just respirators or something, but oh well.

The kobolds are pretty distinct as well.
>>
File: bert.jpg (25 KB, 599x400) Image search: [Google]
bert.jpg
25 KB, 599x400
>>46331593

>Ogres

They live in caves. They're directly descended or ascended from Trolls. They're dumb. In fact, they're astonishingly dumb. So much so, it gives pause to wonder how they've survived as a race all these millenia. They'll eat anything, including and especially people.

They're prone to mutation, which further suggests some relation to Trolls. A noteworthy mutation is having multiple heads. With enough heads to share the mental load with, an Ogre can aspire to some truly scholarly pursuits!
>>
The goblin hero god, Pel, Who Bit the Sun.

To understand the significance of Pel I must first explain how goblinoids work in the setting, and how their lives are full of pain. Unlike most species, human included, they do not have an immortal soul. When a goblin dies he simply ceases to exist. This has caused fear, envy, anger, and a terrible existential dread over the entirety of goblinoids. Religions have been created and snuffed out, and a rememberance culture created. A hobgoblin willing to go to war is much more significant than a man, because they know that dying is the end for them. Empires have been built in stark defiance, an attempt to make others as lowly as them.

This remembrance culture, in the military, takes the form of records and totems and each unit has, having each member who has ever died whilst in the unit inscribed on it. Before a battle they will shout the names of each of them, so as to ensure they are not forgotten.

Very occasionally a goblinoid will leave a trace on the world, a tangible existence that goes beyond death. It isn't intelligent, can't rightfully be referred to as a god by most understanding, but they are there none the less. One of them is the story of Pel, the goblin who dreamed of eating the sun.
>>
>>46311524
>I love Goblins. However, most of the time, goblins are very low on or even underneath the totem pole. I'd like to build a better race/species of Goblin. Everything from biology and culture to magics and technologies.

well...
>goblins.
A small creature resembling a green-skinned, nearly hairless (save for some hair on the top of their heads) chimpanzee with pointy ears. Goblins are egotistical beings who believe that all other races exist to serve them. For this reason, Goblins don't respect any laws except those laid down by goblin chieftons and kings. Goblins also put high regard in the art of fencing and take great pride in their skills with a blade, and when a goblin blacksmith is given the task of forging a rapier, the skill and craftsmanship they put into it can rival the work of dwarfs. During one of their wars to conquer and enslave the other races, several goblin alchemists tried to craft a new breed of shocktrooper by creating clones of their finest swordsmen combined with boar's blood for added strength and ferocity. They dubbed these creatures "Orcs" after an ancient sea monster called the "Orke". These new soldiers proved effective soldiers until they rebelled and tried to overthrow their masters. The Orc rebellion fell apart when they tried to grow new Orcs themselves for their understanding of the alchemy involved in the process was imperfect and the resulting generations became increasingly dumber, more violent, and more uncontrollable. The rebellion collapsed and Orc creation was outlawed by the Goblin Kings, but in the confusion an Alliance of men, Elves, and Dwarfs formed and destroyed the remains of the goblin armies.

How's that?
>>
>>46331915
Not much is known any longer about Pel, as he is old enough to have slipped past all living memory and from history into myth. What is known however is that Pel is the reason the world now has eclipses, and Pel's name adorns the Elorin Third's memory totems, the second name on it after the founder. It is also the first name on the Elorin Fifths, the army he founded.

These two forces were caught together one, some hundred years ago. Them and others were caught, with no supplies, and cornered by a human military. In the dead of night they knew the attack would be coming that morning, so in the darkness they began to shout. The names of each who had died. Going farther and farther back. Then, in the morning, just as the sun was coming up and the humans began to charge, Pel's name was said, and Pel answered. The battlefield was thrown into sudden darkness, sending the human army into disarray, and giving the goblinoids time to not only run, but butcher the human cavalry on the way out.

Pel himself is a being I have run as an encounter, and a temple built in his honor by ancient goblins a dungeon. It actually leads you to what is called a Burning Truth, something that is not meant to be known by mortals. One can only get to it if they answer Pel's riddle correctly, and the only ones who can do that are true goblinoids.

How does that sound?
>>
>>46331663

So they can hear, silly.
>>
>>46324851
I'm loving the hat day idea, imagine one day a giant wanders in during the height of hat day , squishes king gobbo, and now just wanders the lands wearing a tiny gaudy hat followed by a horde of goblins
>>
>>46331941
Very neat, fencing Goblins are pretty cool.
>>
>>46311524

My favorite idea for goblins, starting with creation, were that they were an equal and opposite to the elves, created at the same time by an equal and opposite force to the elves creator.

The elves are graceful, elegant, and almost otherworldly in their beauty. They're intelligent, wise, and gifted well with knowledge. On top of that, their magical nature gives them the ability to shape the world around them as they will. Typical elf things really, I don't need a long explanation.

The goblins however, were more worldly and primitive as opposed to their counterparts. Tall and somewhat lean, yet well muscled and deceptively strong.

As far as beauty was concerned, there was little to be desired, yet they were not grotesque nor ugly, simply plain. Green of skin, with longer, sharper ears like those of the elves, but with a thinner, elongated nose. Hands and feet more akin to claws, and piercing predatory eyes.

They had no females, yet they were most definitely male by design. Thus they did not breed, but rather they seemed to spring up from the ground.

Their magical ability also differed greatly from that of the elves. It was something of a passive kind, readily available but not something that could be evoked at will. It manifested itself in a variety of ways, from a great surge of strength, to the temporary hardening of the skin, or rarely a piercing scream emitted when in danger, that hit those it struck like some invisible force had swatted them

Cont
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.