[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: vendilionclique.jpg (29 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
vendilionclique.jpg
29 KB, 265x370
Shadows Over Innistrad full spoiler is up. What are you going to play?
>>
Ps4
>>
EDH until the eldrazi bans come through. Really tired of 75% of the modern decks in the local meta being eldrazi. Playing fundamentally the same deck over and over again gets boring fast.
>>
>>46264518
I'll be trying Sin Prodder and Scourge Wolf in Mono-Red. If that goes well I'll put them into Naya
>>
Nothing from SOI that's for sure

Probably blue white, I'm selling out of bant company at the moment
>>
Reminder that vendors have known for a while the exact ban list changes.
>>
>>46264518
I am going to try Thing in the Ice in grixis control. It will probably be terrible but it could surprise me. Sin Prodder might be decent in some deck but I just don't know which one. I could also see Thalia's Lieutenant, Hanweir Militia Captain and the demon land getting played in soul sisters decks. Otherwise nothing else looks modern playable to me outside some really niche or budget circumstances.
>>
New Avacyn is kind of expensive but seems strong enough. Maybe a 1 of replacing a resto somewhere?
>>
>>46264760
Sideboard in some kind of flicker deck against tokens, small zoo, merfolk, that kind of jazz. Remember that bouncing her in response to her pyroclasm makes her enter and make your shit indestructible.
>>
I'm a kitchen table player so I may get a duel deck and some packs. Maybe theres something for my burn.
>>
>>46264518
Post-Eldrazi, I think I'll try RG Tron (haven't played it in ages), Merfolk, Kiki-Chord, and Scapeshift.
>>
>>46264785
>I think I'll try ignoring my opponent
>>
>>46264796
yes, this is the modern thread
>>
>>46264831
Just checking.
>>
>>46264785
How is tron going to play when they ban eye? Doesn't that kind of fuck up your deck too?
>>
>>46264861
Tron is all about slamming down a fast win condition. Eye is your inevitability, but you don't need inevitability in Modern because you either stabilized early on, or died.
>>
MELIRA POD MOTHER FUCKER
>>
>>46264861
It means control decks have a chance.
>>
>>46264861
>How is tron going to play when they ban eye?
Beats me. That's why I figure I'll do it right after the ban, before control makes a comeback.
>>
>>46264796
>I think I'll try ignoring my opponent
Do you have any recommendations in stead?
>>
>>46264908
>Removing Tron's inevitability will make control stronger!
Hahaha this fucking GUY. Yeah man Eye is holding back control decks, just like how Twin was holding back blue decks.

Hah!
>>
>>46264943
I've really been enjoying playing Force of Will lately.
>>
>>46264518
Might try TitI in some creature-light control shell. Seems like a playable sideboard card when you need an empty field at instant speed.

Asylum Visitor is going into every black control deck as a 4-of. Liliana synergy is strong.
>>
>>46264944
He's right though. The Eye was how Tron pulled free wins out of its arse against control a fair amount.
With it gone Tron will just have to go back to its old anti-Control plan of just playing threats until they run out of ways to stop them.
>>
>>46264967
Meme in the Ice is one of the worst topdecks in Modern.
>>
>>46264953
I'd love to play Legacy but there hasn't been any around here since about 2011.
>>
>>46264986
Control's problem was never that it couldn't beat Tron; it was that it couldn't beat the entire fucking field.
>>
>>46264944
Its not really the same situation
Twin was actually pretty much the only T1 deck you could have a good matchup against as a blue deck that wasn't just using serum visions to dig for its combo
Banning twin made decks like Delver worse

Eye actually is holding back control decks, because it means that they don't get to win early game or late game against pretty much the entire field. It just won't make a significant difference, because modern is all about racing.
>>
File: Combo enablers.jpg (56 KB, 669x311) Image search: [Google]
Combo enablers.jpg
56 KB, 669x311
Do you think it is worth to run more combo enablers in KiKi-Chord rather than going the toolbox way ?

I'm tempted to try this. Even thinking running CoCo instead of Resto. Thoughts ?
>>
>>46265003
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that Control will be stronger overall. Control will just be stronger against Tron.
>>
>>46264993
At least it's a body. Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize past turn 4 are worse.
>>
>>46264993
It feels like it would be better in legacy, just because there are more free spells that can be cast to trigger it sooner
>>
>>46265044
I agree it's better in Legacy. At least you can put them back in your library with Brainstorm when you're years away from flipping one.
>>
>>46265013
Sounds bad, CoCo is best with the toolbox (you can at least get some tempo out of it if you're lucky). It also only hits half of your combo, which if you're running more of those pieces you shouldn't need it. Pick a gameplan, and build that, don't try to do two that don't work that well together.
>>
>>46265060
Kiki chord doesn't play CoCo.
>>
>>46265060
But CoCo puts more stuff on the table to evoke Chord. Granted that you need both CoCo and Chord in hand for it to work.

Alternatively : running a bunch of combo enablers, Chord and lots of dispels and cantrips a bit like a less consitent Twin.
>>
>>46265088
Parent was talking about doing just that, read you fucking idiot.
>>
>>46265105
Toolbox with the oops I win is what you should be running, anything else is just not as good.
>>
>>46264518
Valakut Breach Trap.

I think it's well positionned in a meta mostly composed of toolbox decks. Plus there is a rogue Mill player at my lgs so that's a random free win once in a while.
>>
I'd like to try tribal zombies as Diregraf Colossus looks great. But there's no Decent one drop options
>>
>>46265016
It really won't. Ghost Quarter and Pyroclasm still kill all of UW(R)'s wincons and you can just play draw-go all day long because your topdeck is the strongest in the format. Wurmcoil that connects even once or twice is game since it negates all of their bolts and you can just sit on your ass until you draw Ugin, Ulamog and/or Emrakul.
>>
>>46264796
Tron does play boardwipes and Karn which is more interactive than all the combo and aggro in the format combined.
>>
>>46265251
You mean Gravecrawler isn't good enough? Colossus, Gravecrawler, and Phyrexian Altar is also infinite tokens and mana.
>>
I keep hearing that UR Delver is bad now. How's that ? What makes the deck bad, especially now that Eldrazi is getting a ban.

I'm asking because I'm tempted to build a Grixis Delver deck since it's fairly cheap and I like the gameplay.
>>
>>46265330
Phyrexian Altar isn't modern legal
>>
>>46265384
I know, but Gravecrawler alone should be all the one drop you need. It's literally a zombie you can cast over and over again to keep triggering the Colossus. I doubt you'll be wanting to aggro people out with zombies, as opposed to grinding them down.
>>
>>46265363
delver eats twin

no more twin
>>
>>46265453
How is Delver better against Twin rather than, say, Abzan CoCo ?
>>
>>46264897
sure,with sfm and jitte in it
>>
>>46265485
It has counterspells
>>
File: gushmercadianmasqueschinese.jpg (121 KB, 600x838) Image search: [Google]
gushmercadianmasqueschinese.jpg
121 KB, 600x838
>>
>U
>Instant
>As an additional cost to cast <spell>, reveal two land from your hand.
>Draw three cards, then put the reveal land on top of your library.

Something like this needs to exist. One of the most annoying aspects of Magic is land you don't need, especially in a format like Modern. In Legacy you can Brainstorm them away, crack them to blow up land, or use them to tap down land. But in Modern you just play them and tap them for mana. It's dull and limits deckbuilding.
>>
>>46265485
Delver's gameplan is drop a cheap threat early and then protect it with counterspells until you can burn them out
It does badly against decks that can overwhelm your counters, are faster than it, or have more value than it. Which is basically everything in modern but Twin
>>
>>46265562
>cast at in of turn
>dis gonna be gud.exe
>reveal my two lands
>draw my cards
>2 lands and one irrelevant card
>have to put the lands back on top
>don't have a fetch to shuffle my deck
>tfw have to draw land for the next two turns
>tfw scoop
>>
>>46265562

Loampox is made for you, you are litterally hitting your opponent with lands
>>
File: en_1T9lEDiYNi[1].png (180 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_1T9lEDiYNi[1].png
180 KB, 265x370
There must be a way to abuse this in Modern right ?
>>
File: WishShift.jpg (450 KB, 626x653) Image search: [Google]
WishShift.jpg
450 KB, 626x653
Opinions on this pile of jank?

It's not tier 1 but it is a blast to play. Modern matchups rely so heavily on sb cards that I figured wish was maybe being looked over.

Usually you're wishing for BtL to combo off, but some of the other cards just auto-win some matchups (Wheel of Sun and Moon) and it's powerful to have access to those kinds of cards game 1
>>
File: cryptolithrite.jpg (42 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
cryptolithrite.jpg
42 KB, 265x370
I'll be playing the intruder alarm elves deck with this new qt enchantment
>>
>>46265731
Could be neat in a delver deck, maybe a dank
SB card.
>>
>>46265910
Actually yhea, I'm liking it in Delver. You can either enchant opponent's creature and bolt it or enchant Delver and basically make your opponent have to kill it twice.
>>
>>46265028
But Inquisition and thoughtsieze get better with Thing. Cast the discard spell with Thing at 1 counter, trigger Things flip, creatures get bounced, spell then resolves and you have a target to take out of their hand. It isn't a 100% guaranteed interaction but it does make both things slightly better.
>>
>>46265859
Since when do Elves need this particular ability?
>>
>>46264861
Newlamog is 'only' one Tower more expensive than Karn and wins about as quick as Emrakul. It's not that unlikely for Tron to succesfully run it.

>>46265859
There already is a variant to Elvea that gimps itself with Beck/Curio. How is this anything different?
>>
>>46266298

fite me irl
>>
>>46265859
seems better with jeskai ascendancy desu senpai
>>
Does anyone know when cockatrice or xmage get these cards in the database?
>>
>>46266559
No. Just play Sylvan Caryatid or Fatestitcher. Or whatever mana dork. What else would you even want
>>
>>46264518
I like that one R mana flip enchantment that makes them attack them flips when they die
>>
>>46264518
Probably gw2. I might try to make dredge work. We got a lot of tech. Of course, if dredge ever becomes viable, we'll see an emergency ban, even if it has less percentage share of the meta than eldrazi did.
>>
budget infect list. opinions?

Instant (14)
2x Become Immense
4x Groundswell
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Vines of Vastwood

Enchantment (3)
3x Rancor

Creature (16)
4x Blight Mamba
4x Blighted Agent
4x Glistener Elf
4x Ichorclaw Myr

Land (19)
9x Forest
3x Hinterland Harbor
7x Island

Sorcery (8)
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Slip Through Space
>>
>>46267205
Play a different budget deck
>>
>>46264518
Two Anguished Unmaking and try that one black enchantment that gives creatures skulk and if you pay a shitload they all get +1/+1.
>>
>>46264563
Pleb
>>
>>46267259

what are good budget decks that are not mono red
>>
>>46267641
Just buy a modern event deck.
>>
>>46264861
It won't. Im considering getting rid of my tron deck for a scapeshift deck if eye gets banned.
>>
>>46267641
Emeria Titan
>>
>>46267692
They went up in price after Inquisition of kozilek didn't get reprinted
>>
Question

I haven't played Magic in years, and never in a constructed format. Just kitchen table in high school. I'm pretty sure Mirrodin and Kamigawa were out.

What's the most widely used online platform for playing? I just wanna fuck around with it a little bit without dropping money on cards.
>>
>>46268240
Online sucks wieners. Just buy paper
>>
>>46267641

Define "budget"
>>
>>46268240

MTGO is the official version but costs money, prepare to spend hundreds of dollars on a deck if you want to play competitively.

There are also free unofficial versions like cockatrice
>>
>>46268055
This meme needs to stop.
>>
>>46264953

Zing!

>>46264998

Counter zing!
>>
>>46268354
It's the cheapest version of UW Control and it's good against creature based decks.
It works fine for FNM-level play, which is probably what you will be playing if you ask for budget decks.
>>
>>46268166
And it's gonna keep going that way so get it now before it's worse. It's the only budget deck I can think of that isn't cheap burn.
>>
God im so happy. Everyone already sold their Eldrazis and now everyone is playing affinity, infect and burn and i've just been harvesting the tears with soul sisters, martyr proc and death and taxes mono white.
I am 20-4-2 in the last 3 weeks.

Bring on your tears how my deck is monowhite trash while I pound your ass to the ground.
mmmmmmmmm.
>>
>>46268240

Hearthstone.

>m-m-muh interaction and consistency

Still Hearthstone, trust me. Magic is only good for the face-to-face games anymore, it's not worth putting money into that isn't going to net you quality human interaction. The game itself is poorly maintained and wildly overpriced.
>>
>>46268527
Isn't BW Martyr Proc stronger than mono-white?
>>
>>46268599
It's bait, don't respond to it.
>>
>>46268599
No. Mono white is the most consistent. My personal opinion. Hatebears and B/w Proc is just a shitty version of the mono white decks.

>>46268618
It's not bait. All 3 deck rape affinity, burn and infect.
>>
>>46268599
Also. If you wanna know why just tell me I'll write a long post.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-rock-4/

Thinking of building this. Never played green in Modern before, let alone BG. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1398253058118.png (110 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
1398253058118.png
110 KB, 224x216
>>46268888
>4 Maelstrom Pulse
>4
>f
>o
>u
>r
>>
>>46268672
>It's not bait. All 3 deck rape affinity, burn and infect.
I agree with you there. It just seems to me that black gives you a huge advantage in you weak MUs (ie combo) without really compromising the core consistency of the deck.

Why do you prefer monowhite and what is your list?
>>
>>46268888
You might want to start here

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/modern-archives/modern-archives-proven/560078-the-rock-bgx-bg-rock-bgw-souls-6-2014-2-2015
>>
>>46266732
utility creatures

jace vp
bob
young pyro
mentor
sculler / brain maggot

etc
>>
>>46268588
Why don't you just go flip a coin and tell yourself that you are good at it when you win the flip and that you got unlucky when you lose
>>
>>46268926
The issue of the black splash is that it makes your good matchup worse to the point where you can lose em. And yes I agree, combo just murders proc and no black splash is gonna help you, since black splashes for retarded shit like ayli, souls and orzhov charm. 4 shitty inquisitions if they can even afford to run them in sideboard ain't doing shit. You have a better lantern matchup but that's it.
The decklist is super vanilla.
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-martyr-proc-23008#paper
This is the list I most often play. I sometimes switch between gideon and elspeth because it's fun but elspeth is better. I also sometimes remove both oblivion ring and banishing light for some sweet tech like blind obedience, another proc or just both walkers for the lulz of it.
>>
I'm tempted to try out Westvale Abbey in BW Tokens. Might be cool.
>>
>>46269008

Because all of Hearthstone isn't face hunter and that deck is about to get completely neutered anyway. If you're talking about randomness in general, I've been fucked out of far more games due to bad land draws in Magic than bad knife juggles in Hearthstone. The two games have roughly the same amount of luck involved, it's just distributed differently.
>>
>>46269093
Worst case scenario, it's a a land that enters untapped and makes colorless mana. Best case scenario, I can see it flipping for game. Really won't hurt to run it.
>>
>>46269125
What land are you taking out. It's shitty windbrisk heights sadly.
>>
>>46269121
bullshit

ever since they released the first expansion there has been rampant RNG littered through every game, I maybe get land screwed 1/10 games, but someone pulls off lucky shredder or crackle or ragnaros hits every single game
>>
>>46269150
1. Windbrisk Heights enters untapped, which can lead to tempo loss.
2. Windbrisk Heights won't burrow a 9/7 Flying Lifelink Indestructible Haste, because the deck doesn't have any.
>>
>>46269189
But windbrisk gets you 4 or 6 flying power going. While ormehdogshit kills 5 of your shit to get crypting bounced or pathed.
>>
>>46264518
I'm trying to decide between a junk gifts deck, an RG planeswalker wildfire deck, or some kind of pepe combo deck (trade routes, ravens crime, or seismic assault).

junk gifts is the most interactive deck, but I'm reluctant to commit to something so graveyard reliant since it seems every combo deck depends on the graveyard in some way. The deck does have like 7 ways to kill rest in piece so it might be good enough. Having a bad burn matchup blows.

RG planeswalker wildfire deck is a reaction to there being very few control decks and lots of aggro/creature based combo decks. Bolt snap bolt rapes it. It's soft to knight of the reliquary. It can't beat Sigarda. Thoughtseize can hit it hard but it has a lot of redundancy. I like that it doesn't depend on the graveyard at all. Very soft to a fast hand from infect.

Pepe is soft to rest in piece as well, but, again, those colors have maindeck answers. I like that assault can combo off at instant speed through hate. Trying not to run a reanimator version but will if it ends up being best.

My non-interactive combo deck of choice would be UG extra turns.
>>
>>46269219
Same fag here. Depends on how good they pay 5 life make a 1/1 ability is good. If it's bad the land is dogshit.
>>
>>46269238
Go with none of the above and save 500$
>>
How do you make a good lands-only deck?
>>
>>46269431
By playing a different format.
>>
File: diregrafcolossus.jpg (42 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
diregrafcolossus.jpg
42 KB, 265x370
I'm looking forward to the new Zombie decks to be honest
>>
>>46269505
If a competitive Zombie deck can thrive in a format with Relic and Extraction, I'll eat my spunk on camera.
>>
Considering getting back into Magic. Returning player from Darksteel. Any major rule changes I should know about (I already know planeswalkers)
>>
>>46269569
You don't even need recurring graveyard bullshit, just go full tempo with Vials and lords
I'm not gonna say it will be better than Merfolk but I for one will be experimenting with it
>>
Daily reminder:
> Eye isn't the one getting banned.
>>
File: 59.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
>>46269638
Actually Zombies could do a decent Merfolk impression
>>
File: 1447704205660.gif (382 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1447704205660.gif
382 KB, 392x500
>>46267786
>>
>>46269431
Worship with a bunch of manlands?
>>
>>46269677
Doesn't cycle and your dudes don't have swampwalk.
>>
>>46269880
Yeah but zombies are cool
>>
>>46269167

Shredder gets about a 2.5/2.5 every time so that's easy to play around, ragnaros sees almost no play these days and crackle has a very low range of outcomes which are influenced by the hero power and conservative targeting more often than luck. You sound like someone that watched some Trolden videos but has never actually played the game for any significant period of time. Besides, two of those cards are rotating out in a month.

Also, randomly not being able to do anything 10% of the time is way worse than your opponent occasionally having a more efficient creature or removal than expected. Speaking as someone who loves Magic the mana system here is so much less fun than knowing exactly how much you have to spend every single turn of the game but having to account for unknown variables a few times a game. I'm not saying you have to drop one and worship the other but if someone is looking for a cheap way to play Magic online, "play this other extremely similar and well designed game for free" seems like pretty good advice over spending money on MTGO that could have been put towards limited or something else with real humans instead.
>>
>>46269934
so are merfolk.
>>
>>46270105
You're wrong
Fish isn't cool
>>
>>46269505
>Gravecrawler
>Geralf's Messenger
>Diregraf Colossus
>Grey Merchant
>Blood Artist

Mono B seems fine. Running 22 swamps just means you have a better matchup against Burn. If you really want another colour, white for Tidehollow Sculler seems good.
>>
>>46270143
I was thinking Green for Collected Company
>>
>>46264518
Hoping Jund becomes more viable after the Eye of Ugin ban.
If not, I'm just going to play Grishoalbrand because I don't want to play with anyone.
>>
>>46270198
>Hit a pair of Colossus
>Next turn cast Gravecrawler
>Sac it
>Cast it
>Sac it
>Cast it
>Sac it
>Cast it
>Sac it
>Cast it
>Suddenly you have a wall of zombies.
>>
>>46270231
What would you sac it with?
>>
>>46270416
I dunno, Viscera Seer or some shit. Or one of those vampires that can sac dudes to get bigger.
>>
>>46270435
YOU'RE DILUTING THE GAME PLAN MAN
WE NEED MORE ZOMBIES
>>
Thing in the Ice in Turns seems good
>>
>>46269362
goats it is then.
>>
>>46270142
>gross rotten corpses cooler than calculating warrior race from the deep
stay lame pal
>>
>>46269997
There are these things called examples, they don't represent the entire argument you semantic faggot, here have 2 dr boom bombs to the face for 8 damage

I played hearthstone from closed beta to like 6 months ago

I couldn't go a game without noticing how either I got lucky and won or they got lucky and I lost

the 10% of games I get land screwed is usually my fault for bad deck design or keeping a risky hand, for anybody playing well it's probably around 5%
>>
>>46270468
Tymaret the Burger King
>>
>>46270619
>unrelenting, inexorable horde of walking dead that symbolize the inevitability of death itself
>not cooler than the little mermaid: the tribe
I'm not your pal buddy
>>
>>46270686

I played from closed beta to today, I guess that makes me a better authority than you then, right? If you want to go cry about your bad luck then go cry about your bad luck, it doesn't mean the advice to go try to the game was off base.
>>
>>46270846
It is off base, the game is bad

xmage is a much better client
>>
File: bGuloWk.jpg (705 KB, 3675x2175) Image search: [Google]
bGuloWk.jpg
705 KB, 3675x2175
Wish me luck at not-FNM!
>>
>>46271627
Nosewater's comment was seriously embarassing
>>
>>46269219

You're still going to depend on RNG with heights. Besides, if you play against white and see an untapped white source or see 3 blue, 1 whatever untapped across the table, you shouldnt be summoning Ormendahl at all
>>
>>46270206
Infect plz
>>
>>46271657
sauce?
>>
File: ss (2016-03-26 at 10.17.36).png (11 KB, 529x164) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-26 at 10.17.36).png
11 KB, 529x164
>>46272058
>>
>>46272097

What a tool.
>>
>>46272058
>>46272097
there was a much bigger post about it but I can't find it
>>
File: ss (2016-03-26 at 10.23.43).png (85 KB, 547x1005) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-26 at 10.23.43).png
85 KB, 547x1005
>>46272161
This one?
>>
>>46272097
ugh. can we raid his tumblr and tell him how much we hate the direction they are going with the ultra detailed story of the power rangers? they already fucked up zendikar with the retcons and the asspulled explanation to kill the eldrazi. I dont want them fucking up every other plane
>>
>>46272212
He already gets plenty of messages like that, he just doesn't acknowledge them publically because it would hurt the hugbox
>>
>>46265731

Ornithopter+ Bone Splinters

Any 1 or 2 drop with a self sac effect
>>
>>46272250
Like Sword of the meek?
>>
What toys does Junk have to deal with Affinity?
>>
>>46265731
Put it on their guy and remove it/block it. Good against any creature deck. Bad against non creature decks.
>>
>>46270881
Do people actually play modern on XMage?
>>
>>46272200
>getting this buttblasted about Jacestice League
holy shit I hope his wife doesn't call him "honey" 'cause it's super demeaning towards all the work he's done

also

>The people that make Magic work really hard to create something awesome for you all to enjoy
I hate shit like this. You design a gigantic-ass card game to make money. You don't do it for the love of the game, you're selling a product for the purpose of getting money from people who want to buy it. When the people who pay you express a distaste for an aspect of your product, you don't get to get up on a high horse and say that the fact that it's something you worked on means it's somehow above being given a silly name.
>>
>>46264518
gonna remake my werewolf deck with that silly werewolf that lets other werewolves enter the battlefield already flipped. Seems fun with Immerwolf.
>>
>>46264518
My whole modern deck got jacked, so probably nothing. It's really rough man.
>>
>>46272613
Me too. My friend that introduced me to the game is extremely casual so I'm sure I'll have some fun games with an actual chance to win.
>>
>>46272583
Try playing YGO. At least MTG puts some effort into R&D and balancing formats.
Konami
"Sales are up again, seems like they really like the new Xexxorz archetype, also printing that free draw 3 spell as a one in 30 boxes really was a good idea. The rarity really balances the game. Unfortunately we need to print the new Moedolls and Xexxorz beat them, so we need to limit the Xexxorz functionality. Let's ban their most powerful card that we shouldn't have printed in the first place"
>>
>>46272537
Modern is the most popular constructed format on xmage.
>>
>>46272487
You can also enchant your own stuff.

Thinking of Delver : your stuff has evasion so it's not likely to get blocked and if your opponent bolts it you get a 3/4.
>>
Going to build Junk Control. What do you guys think? Seems like there's a boat load of cards worth playing
>Abrupt Decay
>Inquisition of Kozilek
>Liliana
>Bloodghast
>Path
>Thought-Nazi
>Vault of the Archangel
>Phyrexian Obliterator
>Meme Rhino?
>>
>>46272835
INFERNITY!! WHY!?!?!?
I think it's the archtype with the most banned or limited cards.
>>
File: Odric Lunar Marshal.png (147 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
Odric Lunar Marshal.png
147 KB, 265x370
My hatebears deck already has a lot of flying, playing this guy to pop everyone up into the air seems kinda nice.
>>
>>46273165
>dies to bolt
>>
>>46272984
>Thought-Nazi
He's not good anymore when people have time to respond to him on turn +2
>>
>>46273175
What doesn't?
>>
Convince me not to sell my cards for modern.
I've been building uw control, running with borrowed cards for the time being but I absolutely hate it. I have walls, fetches, shocklands, paths, sweepers and all that shit, bought before the price spikes. The cards I borrow from a friend are snapcasters, restos and cryptics. It's been my 5th fnm and I have yet to have any fun. And i definetely don't want to invest into aforementioned cards because modern made me hate blue and everyone at my lgs plays blue in their decks. I'd much rather play eldrazi in standard at this point.
>>
The Gitfrog Monster seems like the card to make Grishoalbrand consistent.
>>
>>46273165
>hatebears
>4 mana do nothing

I CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS. Fuck no wonder people this hatebears sucks since only i WANNA PLAY SOLDIERS retards play the deck.
>>
>>46273409
Why the fuck would you buy a deck using only cards you hate?
Of course you should sell it you idiot. Go play Eldrazi in Standard if you enjoy that, they will get banned in Modern anyway.
>>
>>46273409
If you have a job and no priorities just buy whatever deck you want to play.
If everyone is using blue then why aren't you winning with another color. Try red. Don't overextend and go crazy once they are tapped out.
>>
>>46273175
>plays bolt
>gets countered
>>
>>46273497
It was fun at the beginning but it turned out to be pretty tedious and unrewarding.
>>46273509
I'm not really on a budget but I'm saving up for something non-magic related.
Right now I'm split between souls sisters and boros burn
>>
File: dancing hitler.gif (57 KB, 100x164) Image search: [Google]
dancing hitler.gif
57 KB, 100x164
>>46273454
You seem upset
>>
>>46272877
xmage and cockatrice are communities of poor people who are spikes
>>
>>46273801
play your garbage cards and lose to garbage decks braj. ill take that store credit of your stupid hands.
>>
>>46273646
I use BW Tokens so of the two I'd recommend Soul Sisters.
>>
File: 1414313364195.jpg (20 KB, 407x482) Image search: [Google]
1414313364195.jpg
20 KB, 407x482
>>46274156
Sure thing tough guy, you sure showed me
>>
>>46272984
>control
>liliana
>bloodghast

what
>>
File: invasivesurgery.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
invasivesurgery.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
Sideboard tech in modern? Like against Scapeshift or Pox or something? Whaddya guys think?
>>
>>46274638
>scapeshift
>thinking scapeshift will take enough of the meta to make running a shit awful card playable in the side
>>
>>46273177
But people play Vendilion Clique

>>46274484
I call it control but I actually mean playing the game the way Wizards wants : Early game exists, late game exists, we both have answers, we both need a bit of luck, combos don't reign supreme, etc.
>>
File: unnamed(2).png (147 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
unnamed(2).png
147 KB, 223x311
I want to brew with pic related
It seems pretty powerful if you can land it, deck wide flashback without exile, asking to be abused like a dirty whore
>>
>>46274638
>>46274691
Don't forget Living End.
>>
>>46274776
>But people play Vendilion Clique

VClique is evasive and most importantly : it has Flash. You can play it when your opponent is fetching for a combo piece and get rid of it on his turn.

It's also cheaper.
>>
So I started getting into modern a few days ago by playing this abzan loam pox deck on Cockatrice. It's apparently similar to established loam pox decks, but with white for some reanimation thrown in. I like playing with my graveyard (fondly remember whip decks from standard) and this style of dirty, grindy control is kinda my jam as well.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-04-15-junk-loam-pox/
I had great fun playing it on Cockatrice, but it is a bit janky. Four Unburial Rites with five creatures in the deck seems excessive, and 4 paths are a great emergency option, don't get me wrong, but they do kinda clash with the dirty mana denial of pox. What do you think?
Ideally I'd like to find my jam in modern with a deck that's fun to play and not too expensive to build on paper. This version here is probably not it though.
>>
>>46274847
rituals.dec
>>
>>46274898
Thought-Nazi is also harder to kill, has higher power, and doesn't immediately give a new card.

I'm deciding between TNS and Tasigur right now, or maybe something new like Meme Rhino
>>
>>46274847
You can't afford to spend your T3 doing nothing in modern unless it means you win on T4, and this won't do it anywhere near consistently enough
Its basically a slower pyromancer's ascension
>>
>>46274847
Monored storm with this and pyros ascension maybe?
4 storm
4 ascension
ritual package
gitaxian probes
maybe looting spells instead of the blue serum/scour/sleight package?
Magmatic insight mbc, maybe bolts or gutshots for interaction?
Just spitballin here
>>
>>46272835
At least wizards could learn how to reprint things as konami. and why do you complain about bans? they have banned birthing pod, twin and summer bloom, making decks that cost like 700+ dollars unplayable, yu gi oh decks rarely get that expensive in the first place. at last. trying to compare yu gi oh and magic game systems is like compare the speed of a home car vs a bullet train
>>
Trying out Skin Invasion on a Grixis Delver shell replacing Young Pyros so Delver flips more consistantly.

What do you think ?

Land (18)
1x Blood Crypt
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Darkslick Shores
2x Island
1x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
2x Steam Vents
1x Swamp
1x Watery Grave

Instant (22)
2x Kolaghan's Command
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Mana Leak
1x Murderous Cut
2x Remand
2x Spell Snare
3x Terminate
4x Thought Scour

Sorcery (7)
3x Gitaxian Probe
4x Serum Visions

Others (4)
4x Skin Invasion

Creature (10)
4x Delver of Secrets
3x Gurmag Angler
3x Snapcaster Mage
>>
>>46275032
Just play it on ur, is better
>>
>>46274991
You don't know what you are talking about.
a 3-1 flying flash that can target yourself is just leages above a 4 mana 4/4. So stop it.
>>
>>46275086
The thing is, I think it's bad there imo.
I'd rather run jeskai ascendancy in ur storm over this.
I like that if you have pyromasters active with this thing, you can stack rituals like crazy.
>>
>>46274956
Your deck feels too slow. Also, not playing Bloodghast in Loampox seems like a heresy.

You could try something like this which is faster :

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/loams-of-zombies/
>>
>>46274776
So you just want to play regular Junk, but with Bloodghast?
I mean you could just look at a Junk deck and take out some threats and put in more answers, but if you want to go the discard+Lili route you would be better off with regular midrange since it topdecks better.
>>
>>46269093
I'm thinking about it, but just to make tokens, why would that deck ever want to sac 5 of its dudes?
>>
>>46275057
Delver flips off of instants and sorceries, not non-creature spells.

I don't think Skin Invasion will be that good in Delver. When you only have 10 other creatures there are too many situations where it's a dead card.
>>
File: 100038_200w.jpg (26 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
100038_200w.jpg
26 KB, 200x285
Is there a cheaper card for this?
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (61 KB, 222x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
61 KB, 222x310
Okay, I'm just gonna go for a zombie tribal thing, right off the top of my head, hear me out.
22x Lands
4x Gravecrawler
3x Gravecrawler
4x Death Baron
3x Cemetery Reaper
3x Lord of the Undead
3x Relentless Dead
3x Lotleth Troll
4x Coco
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Diregraf colossus
3x Putrid Leech

Yeah I know it just seems like worse Merfolk, but I'm gonna Playtest it and see how it runs, could be fun. Maybe cut a land idk, anyone else have any ideas for zombie tribal? I know it won't be tier 1, but I just like Zombies.
>>
>>46275914
Lol 7x Gravecrawler, that would be nice. I meant 3x Diregraf Ghoul. Instead of the extra 3x Gravecrawler
>>
>>46275860
Shit you are right, I thought it was on non-creature spells for some reasons.

Skin Invasion has more to it than just forcing your opponent's creature into bad trades tho :

>Forces your opponent creature to tap so the path is clear
>enchant your own creatures so they (kinda) come back when they get killed.
>just enchant opponent's creature and bolt it so you just played a 3/4 for 1.

But yhea, I was counting on them to flip Delvers. So I guess Pyros might still be better in the end.
>>
>>46275914
Where is Geralf's Messenger ?
>>
>>46276281
I kind of felt like I'd rather be dropping other lords than messanger, and my 3 drop slot is already crowded. What would you cut?
>>
>>46275441
That list looks sick. And not even that expensive! Thanks.
Definitely saving it to try out later and get a break from all the dirty control.
You're right in that my list is pretty slow. If I don't have a Smallpox or Crime in my opener, I can barely interact with my opponent in the early game. So far this has been especially fatal against green white value creature decks. My opener basically decides whether I'll go for a smallpox/crime resource denial strategy, or a durdly dredge-and-play-souls-until-you-reanimate-a-fatty strategy. Which isn't always optimal, though very fun.
>>
>>46275490
also without Tarmogoyf, is Vault in regular junk?
>>
>>46276421
Np buddy.

It is competitive too. Jason Chung made it to top8 at GP Melbourne a few weeks ago with a variation on this list.

Here's what he played.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11775&d=267189&f=MO
>>
>>46276421

Loam dredge is still fringe but very competitive. I don't know how it will stay on the limelight once Eldrazi gets the nerfs. One of the reason it's so good is because literally no popular deck right now utilizes the GY so the hard isnt as apparent. There's still Grishoalbrand but that deck is fringe and dies more to itself than the GY hate.
>>
>>46277047

>hard
Hate*
>>
>>46264518
>last thread someone talks about beating eldrazi and doing well with u tron
>watching a GPT on twitch
>winner is u tron
Hmm.
>>
>>46277203

A well tuned U Tron deck can go head to head with Eldrazi. Only reason it does bad is because it really just folds to burn, especially when Eidolon goes online and infect. Affinity it can do fine against though
>>
>>46275866
If you just mean the ability, then Proliferate.
>>
>>46275914
Cut the green and blue.

Gravecrawler, relentless dead, gary, geralf, nykthos, some x spells, some discard spells. etc.
>>
>>46277203
Utron is really not a bad deck. I played it successfully for quote a while. But it has a rough infect matchup and affinity and burn are not great
>>
>>46278045
But there is no blue. And I feel like green gives us access to awesome turn 2 plays like leech, who can really apply pressure fast, and lotleth troll who turns all our land into damage with him. Also Coco seems pretty sweet as a curve topper to me, and decay is decay. I really don't think I should cut green, and I don't think Nykthos is worth it here. There would be some discard in the side, but currently I see no need. Also what (X) Spells?
>>
>>46264518
Modern Werewolves, and hear people talk shit about my deck 24/7
>>
>>46279080
your deck is shit and you should feel bad
>>
>>46279080
Did you play R/G Werewolves tonight?
>>
>>46275914
So I've been playtesting this and let me just say Coco in this deck is insane. I honestly really like this deck, it can apply pressure fast, and goldfishing it can do 20 easily by turn 5. Relentless Dead seems pretty good for grinding, and Collosus seems to just have value, making all your spells drop a 2/2 adds up real quick and goes very wide. Like I said though, every time I turn 4 Coco with this deck, I have easy lethal on board. I'm definitely gonna try this deck, and I've worked the list out to be as follows.
Creature (30)
3x Cemetery Reaper
4x Death Baron
4x Diregraf Colossus
3x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Gravecrawler
3x Lord of the Undead
3x Lotleth Troll
3x Putrid Leech
3x Relentless Dead
Land (22)
4x Cavern of Souls
2x Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Polluted Delta
6x Swamp
4x Verdant Catacombs
Instant (8)
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Collected Company
Still working out a sideboard, but for the time being this deck seems to be pretty sweet. 2 things I'll note is that it dies pretty hard to Anger of the gods, and other sweepers like any creature decks, and is probably just worse Merfolk, but I think the deck is fun, and I will be playing it a bit. One thing I'm going to say it has over Merfolk though is resiliency, with a ton of recursion and ways to get guys back or build up 2/2s, also Coco gives it some reach. I don't know, I know I'm definitely going to have some fun with it
>>
File: 1457817045899.png (16 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
1457817045899.png
16 KB, 300x275
>>46279324
No I played my dragons, my cards for my werewolf deck haven't come in yet. The wait is real tho
>>
>>46279442
Dragons? Like Modern dragons?
>>
File: 1458603212164.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1458603212164.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>46279504
Yes modern dragons, Temur ftw brah
>>
>>46279553
Sounds really gay and dum, how did you do and what's your decklist?
>>
>>46279553
shitty pet tribal decks belong in a casual general
>>
File: dragonthunder.jpg (27 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
dragonthunder.jpg
27 KB, 200x285
>>46279634

Land (22)
1x Breeding Pool
2x Cavern of Souls
3x Forest
2x Island
2x Kessig Wolf Run
3x Mountain
1x Steam Vents
4x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills

Creature (20)
4x Birds of Paradise
3x Dragon Egg
3x Savage Knuckleblade
3x Slumbering Dragon
3x Stormbreath Dragon
4x Thunderbreak Regent

Planeswalker (4)
2x Domri Rade
2x Sarkhan Unbroken

Instant (10)
3x Atarka's Command
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Stubborn Denial

Enchantment (4)
4x Dragon Tempest

Fuck you its fun and does decent, I may not make top 8 but i get close. My sideboard is bloodmoon and counter/bounce spells
>>
>>46279656
Eldrazi wants a word with you
>>
>>46280354
He said shitty pet tribal, Eldrazi isn't shitty or Pet
>>
File: Volcanic Erruption.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Volcanic Erruption.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
Would this card help modern become more balanced?
>>
>>46277047
Is there any way to mix life from the loam and death and taxes?
>>
>>46280088
Seems pretty shit desu. Like, I can understand putting in some of the shit cards for the sake of the meme that is tribal, but all in all it just seems so bad. Like fuck, there's literally no way this deck could do anything against an aggro deck. All in all its pretty much a shit midrange deck, and quite frankly it disgusts me. Git gud.
>>
>>46280613
It was shitty pet tribal then eldrazi mimic came out and destroyed modern
>>
>>46280625
First of all, fuck off with your shitty fanfic cards. Secondly, no, how would that help anyone? You're a retard
>>
>>46280720
I'm talking about currently retard, like right now as we are having this conversation no one would call Eldrazi shitty or pet. Secondly, mimic is good and give Eldrazi some real explosive wins, but all in all the deck woukd survive without it, albeit probably making it at least a turn slower on average.
>>
>>46280680

Not really, they are really far and apart. Life from the Loam decks want to quickly fill the graveyard and capitalize with recurring threats and out of nowhere wins like Conflagerate.

D&T wants to disable usual things like fetchlands, searching libraries while employing efficient beatdown and blinking value like Blade Splicers.
>>
>>46274638
1 main 3 side. never losing to sorcery-based combo again!

also prepare for boseiju to spike.
>>
>>46280625
>>>/containment thread/
>>
lets play the WHAT I SAY IS THE NEW TIER 1 AFTER BANS AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS STUPID game again

Kiki Chord #1 when we all leave the Eldrazi bunkers
>>
>>46281021
I think Abzan Coco is better than Kiki Chord. Why would you put Kiki Chord over Abzan Coco?
>>
>>46281223
believe in the hoogland
>>
>>46280625
There's already a card that would make modern balanced. Wasteland. That's it. That's all that's required. You want more though? Just make a wasteland for each color of mana. Make em basic lands themselves, and let decks run any number of them. Modern is finally fixed.
>>
>>46281268
How does wasteland fix modern?
>>
>>46281449
Almost all of the top tier decks currently abuse wizard's reluctance to print good land interaction. Wasteland is the fairest land hate card there is, because it doesn't hit basics, but still allows you to deal effectively with glimmervoids, tron pieces, and eldrazi sol lands.
>>
>>46281268
You want to play a format called limited, with shitty manabases and only monocolored/dual colored decks
>>
>>46281449

Can punish greedy manabases. Slows down the inevitability of Tron. Can kill manlands that are immune to conventional permanent removal spells(e.g cards that always say "choose/target a nonland card" etc.) Other powerful non-basics like Academy Ruins so to speak.
>>
>>46281545
No. I'd like to play a format called modern, but one where I can interact with the entirety of my opponent's board. I'd like to play a modern format where people seriously consider running a primarily basic manabase, but don't always decide to.
>>
>>46281535
You're retarded
>>
>>46281658
>I can't stand to my opponent lands generating more manĂ¡ than mine!
Getting wasteland in modern where you actually had to play for your duals with 2 life is enough hard. What you want to do with land destruction in basic landtype would break even vintage
>>
>>46281658
But wasteland is played in Legacy and no one really runs basics over duals there. I don't see how wasteland fixes modern, or any of those 3 decks you listed. Ghost Quarter is already good enough against affinity lands and tron, and Eldrazi would not get stopped by it, I really think you're wrong on this one. What deck would you play wasteland in anyways? All I feel it would do is make qg and tec edge useless, when they're pretty balanced
>>
File: f02[1].png (114 KB, 680x439) Image search: [Google]
f02[1].png
114 KB, 680x439
>>46281691
Hello tron fag. Do explain more.

>>46281774
The basic thing was just a comment on the absurdity of custom cards. Really, all I want is wasteland in modern. I apologize if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>46266982
What did we get senpai?
>>
>>46281808
Tec edge is useless. Ghostquarter is sort of fine, but really a bit underpowered for what needs to happen to land interaction as a whole.

You'll note that in legacy, eldrazi is an okay deck, but not running away with the format. Tron is nonexistant. The only deck I can think of that's absolutely reliant on nonbasic lands as central to the strategy is MUD, compared to basically all of top tier modern except burn and infect.
>>
>>46281943
Tec Edge isn't useless, and literally every deck in Legacy I'd dependant on Non Basics. You clearly also aren't familiar with cloudpo st or the Lands deck itself. I think you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>46281943
Dredge uses duals almost only
Also does omnitell
Tezzerator runs 1 basic at most
The difference is: in legacy duals are almost a basic land. But in modern you have to run shocks that are much more expensive to play. You destroyed a dual in legacy and well is not that bad, but having to paypay another shock in modern or loss tempo is too much of a down. Also blood moon is more prominent in modern, and is the best land hate on the format
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.