[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Frostgrave?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1000x784) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1000x784
What does /tg/ think of Frostgrave?
>>
It's alright
>>
>>44792056
It's a game where the more I read about it, the more I like it. I've been building up warband made from reaper bones, making this the cheapest miniatures wargame I have ever invested in. Seriously, for $20 I now have a complete warband. Leaving more money for backup dudes in case of deaths and such.
>>
For some reason Mordheim's lore appeals a lot more though of course there's no reason you couldn't use the FG rules in a different setting
>>
>>44794340
I was thinking that too once but then I started to kinda dig the frostgrave setting. One thing is they kept the whole rest of the setting particularly vague and undefined, so I could fill in with whatever I want. Some guys are treating it as skyrim for example.

I like the idea of an ancient city of wizards that froze over and is now thawed enough that modern wizards are seeking knowledge and using the promise of treasure to gain help.

I think it needed some traditional tolkien fantasy races, and simple rules for them. Also if you are a DnD player, stick your own character in it using the same mini you have been using. They have enough variety of different spells and the different wizards that you can fit just about any flavor of spellcaster in it.
>>
Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be a frostgrave general every friday? When does he usually put that up? I want to discuss some rules questions with the fellows.
>>
any one got thaw of the lich Lord pdf?
>>
>>44795004
from the last general
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave
>>
>>44792056
kind of cold and has a lot of corpses
>>
>>44792056
I don't.

What is that?
>>
>>44797705
Mordheim with more magic focus.
>>
>>44797705
You don't think of Google either it seems.

Meme jokes aside, it's a skirmish game in which you play a small band centered around a wizard, set in, well, >>44794733
Thing is you can use any mini you want to play it and the rules are free.
>>
>>44792056
Looks cool.
>>
>>44797808
Really the rules are only free because a few anons are pirating it. You can't get it from the source for free. But really, if you're interested, the book is really cheap for the hardback considering. It's a fun book with a fun system. I've purposely not read some things in it, like the magic items, so they come as a surprise when I get them.
>>
>>44798070
My bad, I only know the game by reputation
>>
File: Thunder_by_armandox27-d7j0pbd.jpg (34 KB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
Thunder_by_armandox27-d7j0pbd.jpg
34 KB, 640x344
>>44797803
>>44797808
Thank you.

I'm really hopeful of the time 3d printing becomes cheap and domestic. Imported miniatures are a no-no even for most brazilian players, which already are the upper crust of society money-wise.

I always wanted to have an exodite tyranosaur modified into a battle servitor with some geneseed or tyranid inspired generetical tinkering.
>>
>>44798465
This is beautiful. Your dreams should light a beacon for a brighter future.
>>
/tg/ likes it it had the benefit of coming out when we were relling from age of sigmar anger made us really be attracted to using whatever the fuck models we want witch is like the opisiote of gdubs but there were also a few people that got really buthurt over its popurality and started calling everybody shills

It's a pretty good game although it needs rules for falling spead
>>
>>44798647
Thanks.
>>
>>44794733
>Some guys are treating it as skyrim for example.

Huh, nice to know I'm not the only one. Been using a Stormcloak style paint scheme for my soldiers, and trying to find a wizard mini that gives off a College of Winterhold vibe.
>>
>>44800358
Check Reaper. The iconic Pathfinder wizards have one that more or less wears basically the same outfit iirc.
>>
>>44798465
>Imported miniatures are a no-no even for most brazilian players
Why is this?
>>
>>44792056
Digging it. Building a board and a warband. my first group is all old GW High Elves and Wood Elves. The old Wood Elf wardancers actually include a couple Javelineers.
>>
>>44803565
Also considering a band made with Zombiesmith's War of Ashes line of angry Dark Ages muppets.
>>
>>44792056
Its ok. It had great models, but just use revised Mordheim instead.
>>
>>44792056
I dunno; first I've heard of it. What's the deal?
>>
We used to have a consistent general for it, but some guy kept coming and shitposting about how much he hated the game.

It'd be nice to get some new thread's about it though. I'd love to see some warband's and maybe come up with new scenario's. I'm running my skaven for mine but I want to put together a new one with a bunch of knights.
>>
>>44804611
Small scale skirmish game about wizards and their hired goons going into an ancient frozen city to get money and fuck bitches.

A big draw is that you can use pretty much any 28mm scale fantasy minis regardless of line or even base type. Circlular bases? Fine! Square bases? Go for it! Hexes? You're a disgusting pervert and I hope you choke on your own bile, but sure, those will work, too!
>>
>>44804675
Neat. Much more fluff from it?
>>
>>44804743
The game itself doesn't have much fluff. The basic idea is that the city, Frostgrave (formerly known as Felstadt) was the center of some great magical empire. Then some dumbass tampered with some shit he shouldn't have and a cataclysmic magical super blizzard froze the city and killed its inhabitants. Now, centuries later, it's started to thaw and asshole wizards and money grubbing mercs are all moving in on the city to claim its long lost magical secrets and various treasures.

The fluff is pretty bare bones and that's probably fairly intentional. There's a big emphasis on giving players a lot of leeway in how they fluff and model their warbands.
>>
>>44804743
The fluff is minimal largly to allow players to use whatever the fuck races they want

There's some nice snippets of people doing things in the city

The basic plot is a city of wizards fucked something up and got frozen to hell now years later people are going in to loot it
>>
>>44804675
One thing that's worth noting is it needs a lot of terain far more then most games.
>>
>>44802610
brazil is poor

very very poor
>>
>>44804959
At least you guys got to host the world cup, that did something for you didnt it?

DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
>>
>>44804866
>>44804904
Huh, so its basically a big frozen sandbox for armies to putz about in? That seems neat.
I'm all for it.
>>
>>44805188
Well not so much army's as squads you only get 10 units to back up your wizard 9 if you take an apprentice.
>>
>>44792056
urg we already get snow 9 times a week in canada i don't want to imagine myself trudging through the damn snow to club/zap someone to death when I'm ready going to do that on my way home.
>>
>>44805310
that came out wrong. trudge home through snow, i'm no muderhobo.
>>
>>44805351
>i'm no muderhobo.

We know that, you already established that you have a home in your first post.
>>
>>44804398
Frostgrave and Mordheim do two completely different things.
I get the comparisons but they are not interchangeable at all.
>>
>>44804946
Meh, that's the nature of squad level skirmish games though; they favor denser terrain. I would't say it needs more terrain than a comparable game (Mordheim, Infinity).
>>
>>44805428
Plus he's Canadian.
>>
Who does the Frostgrave generals? I've been waiting for it because I have a few rules questions to run by the other players.
>>
>>44805310
While the game is fluffed as a frozen ruin, there are those who are using the game in other environs. You can do Sandgrave or Swampgrave or Forestgrave. Build a board with a different feel and use minis appropriate to a different climate. It's all good.
>>
>>44809416
Last week it popped up more like Saturday, so it may appear soon. Of not, just ask here.
>>
>>44809707
Forestgrave does sound intriguing. Like the whole city has been overtaken by super aggressive dangerous plantlife and creatures. Ruins would be covered in vines and moss and weeds. Random monster encounters would be boosted to 11 and very dangerous.
>>
File: 04-hxID0f5.jpg (310 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
04-hxID0f5.jpg
310 KB, 800x450
>>44802610
Taxes for imported products are very high.

Because if that wasn't the case, we would never develop our own industry capable of supplying the, let's say, computer that we pay one truckload of coffee for. 'Merica craves our coffee.

The industry got better along the years, but neither it or the economy reached the point of supplying niche markets like miniatures, we still have basic issues that come first.

>>44804959
It was. Now it's just very poor.

>>44805143
Not funny when you were protesting against it like me.
>>
File: OrchidCollector2.jpg (215 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
OrchidCollector2.jpg
215 KB, 800x573
>>44809795
>>44809707
Playing in a jungle Aztec/Inca/Angkor/El Dorado city would be cool. Need to add rules for jungle fever and crocodiles. Maybe a very abstract supply system assuming the party is a long way from civilization - battles could be for capturing supplies as much as for treasure
>>
>>44809707
I wonder if they will ever release rules for fighting underwater then we can have aquagrave

Probably not to hard to write something up for it I'm going to give it a try
>>
>>44792056
Seems like a better alternative to Mordheim
>>
File: Water_Dragon_by_ConejoBlanco.jpg (376 KB, 1300x1081) Image search: [Google]
Water_Dragon_by_ConejoBlanco.jpg
376 KB, 1300x1081
>>44812002
Do you think you'd worry about being able to swim up/down i.e. 3-dimensional movement? If it's just crab people versus mussle men it would make things a lot easier
>>
Fuck it, I'm not waiting anymore. Let this thread die, guys. I have made a proper frostgrave general where this stuff should be discussed. I'm just copypastaing from the last frostgrave general.

>>44814041
>>44814041
>>44814041
>>
>>44814055
>should be discussed
The idea that /tg/ should be so regimented is very strange.
>>
>>44794733
Different races would be extremely hard to balance if they had different move values.

Since 'grab the treasure and GTFO' is always the smart option for most scenarios.
>>
>>44814856
I just think Generals are great places to discuss the game. People are more drawn to them for discussion and the opening post generally has a lot of good resources.

>>44814967
I have what I am thinking about posted here: >>44815306
>>
>>44792056
If you do it right it's really fun, if you don't it's a bit shit.
You need:
Fucktons of scenery (preferably a lot of large buildings, 3 stories or more) otherwise missile wizards and bowmen etc become a bajillion times better than they're supposed to. Basically every battle report video I've seen look incredibly lame compared to the frostgrave games we play. It's like a completely different game.

More than 2 players (because one on one games and campaigns easily devolve into the person with the advantage trying to table the other guy and get all the loot. 3 or 4 player games and 4 to 6 player campaigns are one brazillion times more fun than 2 player ones.

Friends to play with. It's really not a play in store, pickup group game. You need to talk over a lot of stuff and there's lots of wiggle room in the rules if people try to game the system (like, there's 0 rules about what size regular miniatures should be, so if someone shows up with a dwarf or goblin warband he's just getting an advantage for free since the game sadly uses TLOS instead of area terrain. We houseruled that really fast.

>>44809416
The guy who wrote the game hangs out in the Lead Adventure frostgrave forum threads There's an official FAQ and errata there.
>>
>>44815836
>If you do it right it's really fun, if you don't it's a bit shit.
Like many games, in other words.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.