[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Leaks Hurt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: kozilekthegreatdistortion[1].jpg (36 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
kozilekthegreatdistortion[1].jpg
36 KB, 265x370
>As a person who used to run a fan site that would occasionally leak something, I know the lure for content creators. Leaks draw traffic and they give you something new to talk about. But let's get one thing straight: leaks aren't journalism. Publishing leaks is purely self-serving, looking out for the good of yourself and your ego.

>Leaks aren't journalism because there is no cover-up. There's no secret exposé about the working conditions of goblins on Ravnica, or the water quality on Zendikar, or the climate change on Mirrodin (though that one might have something). Leaks are all things that the public will find out eventually. There's no conspiracy being unraveled, just something new revealed through the theft of intellectual property. That's right, theft. If we didn't give it to you and say "Show this," then you are stealing something from Wizards of the Coast and the Magic community.

>Would you go on your friend's Facebook page and announce a pregnancy if you found a positive pregnancy test in their bathroom? No, that would make you a terrible human being! Because it's not your news to give, and when the world gets to know it is up to that person and their significant other.

Butt status: hurt.
>>
>>44209188
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/why-leaks-hurt-2015-12-16

Article.
>>
What leaked?
>>
>>44209220
Kozilek and Wastes. One of the mothership articles today is about how butthurt some guy is about it and how it's evil to leak cards because you're making people sad.
>>
I can only assume, given that it takes weeks to write and edit a mothership article, that this leak riding on the heels of an even bigger one is purely coincidental.

Guess it gives Wizards another boogeyman to blame for their shit writing and boring game design.
>>
>>44209329
Are you saying that the leakers deserve to be shot in the street or the company spokespeople?
>>
File: 5mlKHvV.jpg (59 KB, 800x720) Image search: [Google]
5mlKHvV.jpg
59 KB, 800x720
I blame Obama for the leaks.
>>
File: 814.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
814.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>44209188

I was going to make a comment somewhere, but there was no thread and I'm just now sitting down.

The level of anal devastation is unreal, but then again this is the company that thinks itself clever and expected literally no one think Kozilek was coming. Remember this next time when you start to think that wizards was doing some sort of viral marketing, which would have been great considering its Kozilek. Instead of great, we get an article about pic related, which is still unintentionally great.
>>
>>44209188
Easy way to sum up the article

"abloo bloo bloo bloo"

Their second and third points don't even make sense.

>Leaks create an unfair advantage as—because they do not go out over official channels—they are not as widely distributed to less-enfranchised players, thus creating an unfair advantage for some players.

>Leaks often lead to bad first impressions. Not always. But it is unrealistic (and would be unhealthy for the game) for every card to be designed in such a way that it would be 100% exciting when viewed out of context and on its own. That would force power creep in design to levels that would surely ruin the game.

a shit card will be a shit card regardless of how its first presented
>>
>>44209188
To be fair, arranging the spoiler schedule is literally his job. You gotta imagine that it's aggravating to see something that you've been working on for a while get trashed for the sake of click bait.

Now, it's a bit silly to claim that spoilers aren't news on the grounds that "the public will find out eventually," because the same exact argument can then apply to the scheduled spoilers. If seeing them early isn't important because everyone will see them eventually, then seeing them in the scheduled way also isn't important because...everyone will see them eventually.

I do wish that Kozilek and Wastes hadn't been spoiled early, though, if only so that we didn't have to suffer through the weeks of arguments.
>>
>>44209474
Sadly, up until the Uncharted Realms in which Chandra sees Kozilek, I saw people arguing about what the unnamed entity Ob Nixilis had called out to was. Some people legitimately thought it was Omnath and thought that the Kozilek contingent was grasping at straws.
>>
Great, another set where the only thing worth opening is something you cant even use in your standard deck

Oh joy
>>
>>44209507
the only arguments I have seen are from people being deliberately dense, or trolling.

My MTG group all understood it completely
>>
>>44209329
You might actually be retarded sorry kiddo
It's terminal
>>
>>44209537
Man, were you just not on /tg/ after the leaks? It was a contentious fucking debate.
>>
>>44209557
...uh, no. Spoiler season is basically a two-week advertisement. That's what it's for. Wizards doesn't get any cut of the preorder pie.

Besides, the official spoilers let people know what to preorder just fine. There's no inherent advantage to leaks in such a case.
>>
>>44209188
>muh shekels

wizards is dying and it is glorious
>>
>>44209565
I meant to clarify the arguments I have seen are only on the internet/tg/

outside of that I haven't actually seen an issue
>>
>>44209557
>Cry harder
Dude, you're about ten times more upset than he is. He just said that he understood why the writer was upset, disagreed with one of his points, and expressed a wish that a particular leak had been leaked because of the shitstorm that it brought with it.

What are you even on about?
>>
>>44209604
The entire thing became a shitflinging contest by the end, but opinions were pretty legitimately split. Don't forget that someone you think is being deliberately dense might actually just be that retarded.
>>
I think the writer is more upset that wotc might realize that his department is practically useless

Spend months preparing spoiler season
Have shit leaked
Sales are not impacted in any way
Why keep these people employed
???
>>
>>44209647
>Sales are not impacted in any way
I'd actually be really interested in the data on that. Do you have anything, or are you pulling it out of your ass?
>>
>>44209643
my worst flaw.

I always assume people on /tg/ are smarter and more well versed in mtg then the average folk.

Forgive me for my transgression
>>
>>44209647
Except the last time there was a major leak (New Phyrexia), sales WERE majorly impacted.
>>
>Leaks aren't journalism because there is no cover-up. Leaks are all things that the public will find out eventually.

That is by far the stupidest statement I've heard from Wizards in a while. That's like saying the Pentagon Papers or Snowden leaks weren't journalism because "it all gets declassified in 25 years anyways".
>>
>>44209565
The debate during the leaks was fueled by incomplete information. Now people have no excuse for not understanding it after reading the official word from WotC on the matter.
>>
>>44209762
It's a dumb statement but your analogy is dogshit too.
>>
>>44209585
>Wizards doesn't get any cut of the preorder pie.

Not exactly true. Though they don't get the consumer's money directly, the big sellers have to crack cases and cases of the stuff to get the chase cards. The more preorders, the more the sellers have to crack.
>>
>>44209369
/pol/tards are the new furries.
>>
>>44209677
Well there's your mistake. /tg/ is horrible at magic.
>>
>>44209671
Seems like it'd be something mighty difficult to prove, given that you can't concretely know how well the set would have sold without the leak. The best they have to go on is a predicted estimate, and I'm sure that's not too terribly reliable. Sets almost certainly under- or overperform their initial sales expectations pretty regularly, and pegging leaks specifically rather than any other factor as the cause of a given set's underperformance is probably not possible.

Besides which, has there ever been a spoiler season where something WASN'T leaked early? I generally don't pay much attention to whether spoiled cards are from official sources or leaks, but I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two leaks in each neew set. Probably the only way to try to pinpoint the sales impact of leaks would be to compare deviation from expected sales for leaked vs. unleaked sets, but I don't think they'd really be able to get many sets for that control group.
>>
>>44209684
Source?
>>
>>44209767
Yet even afterwords they still do.
And the people who DO understand it but thought it was otherwise have now decided that They Shouldn't Have Done It This Way.
>>
ITT: Butthurt nerds are mad that the owner of an IP had their content used in a way they did not desire
>>
>>44209188
Not a single legitimate reason for leaks being bad. The benefits far outstrip any negatives.
>>
>>44210004
What benefits are these?
>>
The dumb thing is, the leaks mean that something is wrong at WoTC, not with the sites that post them. If WoTC wants to prevent leaks they need to check their seals.

Alternately they could do what Dues Ex did and have gone "Oh the trailer got leaked? What a shame, if only we could announce the next Deus Ex game and release the HD trailer on our Youtube and steal ALL their hype for ourselves.....

Oops, we just did."

Maro could have done an article on the new cards, called out the asshole who spoiled them, then done a bit on how it helps the game and why we get a new colorless symbol, then say official spoilers start on X date.

Bam, instant site traffic.
>>
So is this the "leaks are theft as to looking at JLaw's nude pics is sexual assault" argument?
>>
>>44210032
Actually, getting the cards to leak probably involved some literal theft. Given that they're all foils and come from
Multiple language.

That aside, data theft IS a thing.

>>44210026
>something is wrong at WoTC
Or the printing company.
>>
>>44209188
stfu faggot nigger
>>
>>44209557
>he doesn't realize that casual players make up the vast majority of the playerbase
>>
seriously is this what wotc has devolved to?

Crying to the community about their own leaks.

Fucking shit libtards this is why you can't make a functioning website or game. Hearthstone a fucking kiddie version of MTG is now 10000x bigger.
>>
>>44210181
You're really butthurt. If you can't handle magic like an adult please go play Hearthstone. It may be more suited, you don't have to worry about rude things like instances or paying attention on your opponents turn :)
>>
>>44209188
Fact 1: most people that buy Magic won't ever see these spoilers, hell most of them don't know when new sets release.

Fact 2: The ones who do see these are also the ones who make their final purchase decision after seeing the full spoilers.

Fact 3: These spoilers are shit and they should feel bad for releasing a set like this if this is their load blown. But, having said that, this will barely affect sales one way or the other.

Fact 4: In the grand scheme of things nearly fucking no one cares about the block's story, they skip past your 'awesome' story about Kozilek popping out of the water to get to the visual spoiler.
>>
>>44210236
enjoy MTGO or mtg paper events

>40 minutes between each match
>>
>>44209532

This I will conceded to you. If the past week has taught me anything, it's that people are fucking stupid. At least it all makes sense now. A large chunk of wizards is stupid, and a large chunk of its player base is stupid. Stupid probably isn't the best word to use, but it gets the point across.

>>44209533
>Chandra and Nissa won't see play
>whole set is shit based on 6 cards

Sure thing bud. Granted, I don't have much faith either.

However, I actually applaud the expeditions. Look at the price of BFZ rares. They're pretty low with a few exceptions. Why? The number of packs opened playing the lottery. This will continue into OGW. The monetary value of the non-expeditions will drop based solely on the sheer volume of packs that will be opened for lottery shills, which is a good thing once DTK rotates. Wizards may have found a way to make standard more accessible by dropping the price barrier while simultaneously selling large quantities of product on the primary market. This is a good thing.

>>44209884

Commander 2015. The lack of spoilers actually turned people away from purchases.
>>
>>44209495
With the New Phyrexia debacle we found out that pro players get copies months in advance to brew decks and drum up hype for shitty cards, so the argument that "i-its not official! People will be at a disadvantage!" just isn't a moot point, it's outright hypocritical. That's setting aside the idea that people only find them from the mothership, and that someone won't find it somehow. Christ, it's not like this is 1999.
>>
>>44209507
I don't blame him for being angry, as you say this is likely to be months of planning up in smoke. I do think that they need to just take it on the chin, not say anything (maybe 1% of the playerbase would have seen these spoilers before they released if they hadn't posted this on the mothership) and tighten factory security for SOI.
>>
>>44209329
>>44209369
You're retarded man. Go fuck your sister or something.
>>
>>44210374
>pro players get copies months in advance
How interesting, I was completely unaware of that. That is incredibly hypocritical
>>
>>44209188
>When it comes to hearing about an upcoming movie, which would you rather see: A prepared movie trailer crafted by artists and directors and marketers to most hype you about the film? Or would you prefer to read early drafts of the script that cover several key story moments?

Actually, with leaks, it's more like would you rather see a prepared trailer to build hype, or a handful of random scenes?

And with that choice, I'd take a handful of random full scenes every time. Trailers lie. They misdirect. They generally show the best parts of what they're previewing, leaving the final result often feeling underwhelming.

Seeing full scenes, even stripped of context, gives you a better feel for what the final product will be and gives more room for discussion, since you know what you're watching wasn't doctor specifically to elicit excitement.

Or maybe he just chose a bad analogy.
>>
>>44210545
It's not. The guy was talking out of his ass
Wafo Tapa was given the godbook because he wrote for some wotc magic magazine or website in france.
>>
>>44210032
It's the 'leaks are theft as to the cards wasn't supposed to leave wotc premise and if you have them then you must have snuck it out' argument
>>
>>44210592
Actually, Matignon was given the godbook, and he shared it with Wafo-Tapa.
>>
>>44210637
Yeah i know there are 2 or 3 people that got banned for the leak, i only remember wafo tapa.
>>
So Godbooks are still a thing after the NPH debacle?
>>
>>44210026
Unfortunately, nowadays they write their articles a month in advance so that they can be editted and then translated into a shitload of languages and posted simultaneously, and the Kozileak was done basically right when they had finished writing the articles for the year.
>>
>>44210546
It's an even worse analogy than you give it credit for, in a movie watching random scenes can potentially spoil whatever surprises were intended, for magic spoilers that doesn't matter in the slightest.
I feel that the badness of his analogy was actually intentional in that way. It seemed actively dishonest as the reason you wouldn't want to watch random scenes of a movie is likely completely unrelated to the reasons he's claiming the reader actually cares about.
>>
>>44210262
"I have the patience of a 10 year old and can't handle waiting for a bit to play more magic"
>>
>>44209188

Maybe if Wizards hadn't made it's sole purpose and dedication to butt-fucking over it's player-base in the name of naked greed I might be more sympathetic to them. As it stands their actions (and inactions) have made me openly hostile towards the company that supplies a game I just happen to enjoy in spite of them.
>>
>>44209188
>guys, stop leaking cards
>at least look at them and our partners websites
>because money!
Ad block, motherfucker. You weren't getting a dime either way. All this let's me know is that your set is shit now rather than later.

I bet this faggot wasn't even around when fucking playtest cards were getting leaked for Time Spiral.
>>
>>44213302
If you're so hostile and angry about decisions made by the company making the game, then why don't you stop and go play something else? If you're talking about expeditions, then you're mad at something that was happening anyway. Birds fly, water is wet, and corporations drive sales through different strategies that do not take into consideration only the enfranchised customer.

And if you're talking about the secondary market being too high priced for you to get certain cards, then Wizards doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>44213302
If I had inside knowledge of a set, I would post leaks at every chance.

And when a really horrifically bad set came, I would take the single best card I could get my hands on and fake up some cards that make it look like shit, then post it all at once.

WotC would roll out the full spoiler at some point, and it would turn out that the worst card among my spoils was actually the best card in the set. Having your expectations so fully destroyed like that is what I experience every single spoiler season.
>>
>>44210762
There wasn't a godbook leak, it was just the expeditions, a bunch of lands, and a good chunk of the mythics.
>>
>>44213564
I think he's aware and meant to ask
>So are Godbooks are still a thing after the NPH debacle?

I don't know, but I'm betting they are.
>>
>>44213472
>If you're so hostile and angry about decisions made by the company making the game, then why don't you stop and go play something else?

Do you have difficulties reading? I said I enjoy the game in spite of Wizards. You can like the game and hate the company producing it. Hell that happens all the time in video games, or with comics.
>>
>>44213622
>likes neo-Magic
Why? It's shit.
>>
Daily reminder that Maro was responsible for leaking Mirrorpool.
>>
>>44213777
Explain.
>>
>>44213793
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/129192880288/wednesday-november-18th-2015-prepare-yourself

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133172063743/five-days-remain-plan-accordingly#notes

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133305372973/less-than-72-hours-ensure-your-affairs-are-in#notes
>>
>>44213777
Everyone knows that, except for >>44213793, but he's likely never used the internet before.

This article is in response to the recent big leak.
>>
>>44213777
>>44213848
>implying not ALL of this was planned
>implying the photographer wasn't given the expeditions and mythics by Wizards
>implying we're all not part of some weird and crazy WotC experiment to see how leaks develop and the community reacts
>>
>>44213882
Maro's blogposts were never posted outside of 4chan in relation to Kozilek and Wastes.
>>
>>44209188
>implying the leaks didn't allow me to sell my shit at a premium
I'm not playing in a totally not 6 color environment wizard, BFZ was bad enough of a set already.
>>
>>44213913
Stop pissing about on Reddit, then.
>>
File: tfw no reddit.jpg (26 KB, 959x175) Image search: [Google]
tfw no reddit.jpg
26 KB, 959x175
>>44213945
:^(
>>
>>44209188
It is funny that even though he mentions theft so much time, they stole the whole mechanic from Jonathon Loucks

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/125b
>>
>>44213994
>stole
>when the participants signed something that WotC can use their mechanics
>>
>>44213994
Love how they ripped on it so much, and now they're printing and hyping like it's the best thing ever.
>>
>>44209188
"THINK OF THE MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY!"
>>
>>44214120
>they ripped on it so much

But they didn't.
>>
File: 1450053586839.jpg (65 KB, 552x528) Image search: [Google]
1450053586839.jpg
65 KB, 552x528
>>44209188
Wow OP, thanks for the spoiler. What's up with the mana symbols? Assuming that's some kind of new mana?
>>
>>44214249
It's snow mana but just for Eldrazi
>>
File: 1449332024421.gif (835 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1449332024421.gif
835 KB, 450x338
As far as I'm concerned it's like the war on drugs or terror. Just because you can acknowledge it's wrong or you don't like it doesn't mean it's going to go away. Not everyone has the same morals. Given this tidbit, perhaps if they were really concerned about muh content getting spoiled they should tighten things up.
>>
>>44214316
Does the woman on the calendar have a dick? Otherwise the picture doesn't make a ton of sense.
>>
>>44214310
I thought it was negative mana? Didn't you have to drain your opponent for mana to cast the void Eldrazi cards?
>>
>>44214249
It's the new symbol for colorless mana
>>
>Release the worst set since Born of the Trash
>People call out on your shit design and money-grabbing kikery

>"HURRR IT'S THE COMMUNITY'S FAULT THE HYPE DIED. YOU GUYS ARE ALL MEAN TO US!"

I hope this game crashes and burns before it becomes another watered-down normalized piece of shit card game like yuker.
>>
>>44214439
I'm pretty sure I've seen this exact same comment in the Khans spoiler thread.
>>
>>44213994
>And what of Caves? What goes in the text boxes there? A giant, "1" with a gray circle around it?

Heh.
>>
>An angry article, that'll show those awful leakers!

Do they really think this is going to change opinions?
>>
>>44215239
No, it's just ablewblew all the money we put into marketing instead of making a good set was wasted
>>
>>44215239
To be fair, what do you want Wizards to the the most right now? What would the best move for them be?
>>
>>44215277
>good set
>implying this doesn't mean "please cater to me and no one else!"
>>
>>44215284
Probably a statement about the situation and some BS about how they will be more careful to help prevent future leaks. You know, something you expect a business to do. It would look better than this article, at least.
>>
Wizards isn't mad about leaks because it ruins the experience or whatever stupid shit.

Wizards is mad about leaks because it costs them and their partnered websites views and, by extension, money.

Simple as that.
>>
>>44215303
>BFZ was a masterpiece that would have sold well without expedition land
>>
>>44215396
It's an awesome set to draft.
Get rekt, Constructed scrub.
>>
>>44209188
If you don't like leaks so much, do a better fucking job of stopping them.
They also get consumers interested, nay hyped for a set.
So quit your bitching, the leaks are the reason I've preordered.
>>
>>44215423
I hear that argument every set, Maro could put shit in booster and I'd still hear it. You sure showed me.
>>
File: 1449631531819.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449631531819.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
>>44209188
I honestly don't understand why they need to make a PR jump every time word gets out something exists. Made sense during the whole godbook debacle to say something since it was so massive, but this is more like revealing a very small chunk of a well-sized set.

I just get equally excited when I see leaks and official spoilers alike. It's just the magic of seeing new toys and discussing the uses of them with friends. That's why I'm still putting money down the drain to support the cardboard jew to this day.
>>
>>44215534
"Please give me stronger cards because I'm not smart enough to build decks on my own. I need help in the form of cards that are blatantly more powerful than everything else."
>>
>>44209188
Sorry, guys. I'm the one who hacked the internet and stole all their cards. I apologize to wizards for my l33t skillz. I'll try to stop myself by adding antihacks to my computer
>>
>>44215423
"Well, it's good for limited!" is the calling card of a bad set.
>>
>>44215561
>Implying that's what I said
Nice to see you move the goalpost, if I didn't know what to build I'd netdeck not ask for powerful cards because the mistakes will get in anyways,
>>
>>44215574
See >>44215565

As long as the set is an interesting draft environment it's a good set. Just because it doesn't have obvious includes for your Standard/Modern/etc. decks, it's not a "bad set".
>>
>>44209677
I actually think that well-versed nature worked against /tg/ on this instance.

Because, I think Wizards explained once that the average magic player has only been playing for 2-3 years. That people tend to drop out after 4-5.

So an average player would go "Hey, what's that symbol?" And then think "Well, it's a colorless card, and the symbol's the same color as normal colorless (generic) mana...I guess it's the colorless symbol."

Whereas the older veterans remember Phyrexian and Snow mana, and therefore consider those options.
>>
>>44215239
It's not a letter to the leakers, but to the redditors.

They want people to jump down leakers throats to stop them from posting them.

Even if that did work, I can think of one site without an account or karma system where leaks could still get posted.
>>
>>44215664
>implying (You) isn't worth something on here

:^)
>>
>>44209188
Information is a service, not a product.
>>
>>44215610
>Just because it doesn't have obvious includes for your Standard/Modern/etc
But that's all that matters in this world, especially during Khans block's lifetime in which fucked up the power level of an entire format. As long as it's in, it's either "must be good in Jeskai/Abzan/Atarka/etc." or "it's absolute shit". The only card that met the former criteria in BFZ was Gideon and the battlelands, with the rest of the set being told to fuck right off.

This is essentially going to remain the case for another four months, because by that point all the stuff that made Standard so powerful and expensive will be gone.
>>
>>44215724
I still remember when people called Jeskai worst and most unplayable clan.
>>
>>44210000
Technically it's "butthurt nerds mocking the owner of an IP for being butthurt that his content was revealed early."

I think I'd be more on Wizard's side (not that I'm not, I'm mostly indifferent) if this was an earlier draft of the card, or if, since it's a mythic, it had a keyword we didn't understand. So, the Kozilek leak is irritating, because people got into an argument about the symbol.

Compare that to...whatever the RW Commander was. We understood that card just fine. Complaining about leaks like those is stupid. Complaining about leaks like Kozilek is mildly less so.
>>
If you don't want people to know a secret, perhaps you should protect it better. It really is that simple.
>>
>my job is to make spoilers seem cool
>never mind that about 1% of magic players care how cards are spoiled
>when you leak like this my job looks useless
>please stop making me look bad
>see, here are some more people who look bad / feel sad
Boo hoo, fuck off wizards
>>
>>44215804
>"As a result, Wizards will now kill everyone involved in a set's development before it gets to print. All people involved in the print will also be shot regularly every week."
>>
>>44215834
That or hire more trustworthy people you autistic fuck.
>>
>>44215845
lol
>>
>>44213994
Reading that article is excruciating.

The amount of bullshit they're shoveling is intense.
>>
>>44215834
Either way Nagle never develops a set again. I'm okay with that.
>>
>>44209884
>Sets almost certainly under- or overperform their initial sales expectations pretty regularly

You can still calculate if it's a statistically relevant over/under performance.
>>
>>44209231
Almost all the mythics and expeditions, too.
>>
>with the new leaks and the article about how leaking is bad Rosewater now will never tell us the story how they leaked Kozilek on purpose just to watch the internet go at each others throat because that's the way Kozilek would've wanted it
>>
>>44209188
>Be WOTC
>cannot into card design
>cannot into security
>cannot into anything actually fun
>bitch when someone spoils shit
>bitch when a fanbase rightfully thinks said actions are batshit retarded
>>
>>44216930
Man I only started playing in Avacyn Restored but I wish we had old art back on cards. The art is becoming so perfect in what it attempts to convey that you just can't care about it, there's nothing to care about.
>>
This is a good article with many well made points, but there is something about all this that bugs me. WotC does not own the mtg community.

I feel like with a lot of things WotC likes to treat the MTG community as another one of it's IP's. When they asked MTG Goldfish to stop posting bulk data from MTGO. When they moved their official forums from the mosther ship to Reddit. When they have lasting problems with MTGO that get talked about ad naseum on online forums and they do nothing about it. Our little mod thread a few days ago about leaks with our wotc-dick sucking mods quivering in fear about wotc not giving us a spoiler any more.

And I'm not saying leaks don't hurt them or us, but reading this article kind of felt like a pandering politician waving a bloody shirt or something. There is a wild aspect of communities like this. IP owners/ producers do NOT own their consumer communities. Leaks are their problem, not ours. It's wrong of them to kind of shame us for their on folly. It's wrong of them to ask us not to do stuff. Our community is ours. They fuel us with something for us to be a community around, they do not direct us and our activities. If we do stuff they don't like, that's their problem not ours. If they want to punish us as a community, they can salt their own fields and see how that works out for them. If they want to try and act like a sane company, they should learn to adapt. Leaks are in internal problem they can solve internally. It's not our fault for doing what we do with what we aren't supposed to have, it's their fault for us getting it.

I just don't like how wotc refuses to internalize so many of the problems it encounters.
>>
>>44217445
>Our little mod thread a few days ago about leaks with our wotc-dick sucking mods quivering in fear about wotc not giving us a spoiler any more.

pls explain
>>
>>44217445
>>44217465

It's a comment copy-pasted from reddit.
>>
>>44217478
I don't go on Reddit so pls explain what the commenter meant with that.
>>
WotC can do two things very easily to fix the problem.

1. Get a new printer, obviously this one has issues with leaks (demonstrated here and in the past to a lesser degree), along with card packaging as demonstrated by MM2 and expedtion scuffing

2. Print better cards. You can decrease power creep while still making good cards, Khans was a pretty good example of this. Most of the cards in that set were worse than those in RtR block, but it was still a great set because the cards were unique, fun, and felt powerful. When the allure of your set becomes "uber rare foil lands from beyond time" instead of actual card quality, maybe you should take a good hard look at your internal policies and figure out where you can improve.

Leaks suck for small sites that need spoilers to drive views, but they don't affect me at all, and some of the responses I've read that they're "bad for the community as a whole" are pretty irrelevant. The community doesn't give a shit when we see the cards, we want to know what cards we're going to add to our decks. Doesn't matter if we play standard, EDH, Modern, or just 70-card casual, that's what we want. Not silly fluff articles that we read for literally 1 picture.
>>
>>44217506
most likely that wotc threatened r/mtg with the loss of a spoiler card if they posted leaks or something like that.
>>
>>44217543
>Print better cards. You can decrease power creep while still making good cards, Khans was a pretty good example of this.

Yo. Back when Khans came out everyone called it shit and how it was the worst set ever. It's a repeating pattern.
>>
>>44217562

There's a difference between calling a set shit and having statistical evidence to back it up. BFZ has been charts and graphed to hell and back to show how lackluster it really is.
>>
>>44217562
except those people were just straight up wrong. Anafenza, siege rhino, Dig through time, fetch land reprints; all of these were cards that people immediately figured out were good. People like to complain, sure, but there's a difference between khans being lower power and BFZ being actual shit tier with oath not looking much better.
>>
>>44217604
Linku?
>>
>>44217562
Blatantly untrue.
>>
>>44217624

There are articles that examine the use of new cards in post release tournaments and such. Khans had the largest amount of immediate playables in recent memory, while BFZ had the lowest since DGM, and even then only because of new fetchable lands. Can't be assed to dig relevant articles on mobile.
>>
>>44217624
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/battle-for-zendikar-and-the-this-always-happens-theory
>>
>>44215610
>As long as the set is an interesting draft environment it's a good set
Well, sure, but this doesn't seem like it's going to be a very interesting drafting environment.
>>
>>44217683

Look at this anon, havin a niggas back like that
>>
>>44217702
Why not?
>>
>a set is only "good" when it's represented in tournament decks
>>
>>44217803

If a set comes out and there's no actual reason to use the cards its a bad set. If the set is only good inside the bubble of itself that is an especially bad set because at that point you're playing an entirely different game.
>>
>>44217803
As a basically casual only player, I can confirm that BFZ has almost no cards I am interested in. There were a few cards for my ally deck, some of the eldrazi, and maybe half a dozen other rares/mythics that piqued my interest, but nothing else. The cards aren't just bad in competitive, they're just uninteresting and bad in general.
>>
File: unnamed.gif (104 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
104 KB, 384x384
>>so much butthurt over Oath leaks
>>set that introduces anus mana
>>well played wizards
>>mfw it was intentional
>>
>>44217465
>>44217506
Now, I don't use Reddit very often (maybe twice a year or so) but here's what I assume.

Reddit's Moderators are openly listed on the the side of the forum, and threads they open have notable characteristics. Like the one sticky we have on page 1 about how to dice.

So, it's likely the mods opened and stickied a thread where they asked the Reddit community to not discuss the leaks, or post them, in fear of reprisal from the company, openly demonstrating their preference to appease wizards over their users.

That's my guess.
>>
>>44209188
This would be acceptable if every set had cards EVERYONE from EVERY format was looking forward to and were on the edge of their seats to know what was up.

EDH players know they likely wont get anything good and mostly only look out for potential new generals. Modern knows that they will get one or two cards worth something but also expect bans. Legacy expects nothing at all. Limited doesn't give a flying fuck.

Half or more of the player base is not waiting for the news. They are not on the edge of their seats waiting to see what WotC will come up with next.

Spoilers only exist to try and drum up hype from the groups that know they wont get anything or care at all. Which doesn't fucking work at all and is just WotC deluding themselves.

If this was Mir or Inn again then yeah. I would say leaks are bad but modern magic spoilers don't mean a god damn thing.
>>
>>44217562
Stop with this meme

People saw the power in Monastery Swiftspear, people saw the power of Monastery Mentor (FRF), a lot of people saw potential in Treasure Cruise/DTT.

Khans immediately impacted Standard and many people saw potential in the cards for Modern and eternal play

Piss off
>>
File: elspeth eating a salad.jpg (160 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
elspeth eating a salad.jpg
160 KB, 333x500
>>44209188
as a guy who leaked stuff before, fuck em
>>
>>44218282
I need that finished and colored.
>>
>>44218319
same, could never find the finished product
>>
File: polish.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
polish.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>44209188
To me, earlier spoilers are more exciting than spamming everything in the week before prerelease.

In the end, cards and sets are rated by their power, not by the amount of sugarcoat used in some shitty article nobody reads.
>>
>>44214358
Now that might have actually been an interesting mechanic, where if your opponent has untapped lands, when you tap your own land, it taps theirs too and you get a colorless mana for their yapped land.

It's powerful, but very situational, should be relegated to only a card or two in a set, but that seems very Eldrazi to me. Obviously not tourny playable.
>>
>>44215423
It's... an interesting set. Not the worst, but far from awesome. It's acceptable.

Expeditions are the main reason it sold. Those, Drana, and Gideon. Full art lands, too.
>>
>>44209188
>Publishing leaks is purely self-serving, looking out for the good of yourself and your ego.
I am a man who does not leak stuff. Probably because I have no source, don't know if I ever would leak anything.
So as a "non-spoiler-journalist." I am thankful for when leaks do happened, because the "dramatic display" of the official reveals is Never worth simply knowing sooner.

Thank you to all leakers.
>>
>>44213994
Can't remember if it was 1 or 2 that had one woman contestant that got nonstop praise even though all of her ideas were shit. So progressive! :^)
>>
>>44216262
Nagle should be fired. I don't know why he wasn't after DGM
>>
>>44218730
The first one had a tranny, Alexis Janson, on the contest who actually won the whole thing despite being shit in design. So progressive.

You know what happened when they put "her" in charge of a set? Dragon's Maze, one of the worst sets of all time.

>>44218814
Nagle wasn't even involved with DGM, you fucking retard.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Dragon's_Maze
>>
>>44218895
Looking up Nagle's sets as lead, he has by far the most bizarre range from great to shit. new Phyrexia and Commander 2011 were both awesome, but Born of the Gods was cancer incarnate into a set.

Very confused.
>>
>>44218895
Oh, shit, yeah, I fucked up. I guess I meant after Born of the Gods. Dunno why I thought he was on DGM. I still hate almost every set he leads.
>>
>>44217855
But anon, you can take things from the second graveyard and put them in the first graveyard to gain 2 life!

I'm in the same boat as you. Big ol eldrazi and scions are kinda sorta cool but the rest bores me to tears as a casual kitchen player. Felt the same way about Khans, just not an interesting setting. Innistrad 2 may snag me, and it sounds like either dinos or Egypt is coming after that, either of which I'd be interested in too.
>>
>>44215423
Draft is fun, but it's nowhere near as complex or good as Origins was.
>>
>>44209188
lol theft? fuck these guys, long live proxies.
>>
>>44215654
>you're a magic veteran if you remember phyrexian and snow mana

Jesus fuck my first booster pack was Weatherlight
>>
>>44218964
New Phyrexia was a mixed bag with some great stuff, and some very odd stuff (Moltensteel Dragon was one of the most underwhelming rares of all time for me, not because it's bad, just incredibly boring). C11 was great, hands down.

Worlwake was... well, I was just getting into Magic at the time, and Jace and Novablast Wurm are some of the only cards I really remember.
>>
>>44209188
The best part was when he said they pursue criminal charges for the leaks.
>>
File: 1448926906903.gif (572 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
1448926906903.gif
572 KB, 468x351
>>44219059
>complex or good as Origins
>>
Maybe MAYBE IF YOU BOTHERED TO KEEP TABS ON HOW YOU PRINT AND WHO PRINTS THE FUCKING CARDS, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE LEAKS

BUT THAT REQUIRES A MODICUM OF COMPETENCY
>>
>>44218653
im >>44218282
i never had an official source, just a buddy who so happened to work at the recycling station that serviced a wotc distribution center, who so happened to have early commander 2014 product get thrown in the recycling

moral of the story: become bros with garbagemen
>>
>>44217855
>>44219041
BFZ was completely uninteresting mechanic-wise.

Ingest/Devoid were terrible, and so was processing. Allies were also pretty bland this time, just like Landfall (some Retreats being the only refreshing Landfall design).

"C" is probably one of the more interesting things they made in recent years, but using it in the last set of a block while having to errata a shitton of cards seems like a waste. They could have used the full block to explore it more, but they were too lazy for that.

>>44218964
>>44218972
>>44219095
Nagle sets tend to have a few cards that are weird and design and extremely high in power level if not downright broken/ban-worthy. Eternal playables are almost a guarantee in his sets.

I wonder if OGW or SOI have any of those cards since he's working on both sets.
>>
>>44218895
Had no idea it was a tranny. Even better.
>>
>>44219235
Isn't everyone and their mother a tranny these days?
>>
>>44219253
For you. :^)
>>
>>44219235
Back in the days when the first Great Designer Search was held, I got the impression that they were all giddy and excited when they invited "her" to the WotC headquarter in a "OMG, A GIRL" kind of way, just to confronted with "that", which makes it even more hilarious.

>>44219253
That was in 2006, before being a tranny was mainstream.
>>
>>44209188
well hes not wrong
>>
>>44209537
why are so many people so convinced that those who were arguing against it did not understand it.
>>
File: RishadanPort.jpg (52 KB, 400x549) Image search: [Google]
RishadanPort.jpg
52 KB, 400x549
>>44218578
I agree with this man, nothing bad could come from this at all. Sincerely D&T.
>>
>>44216997
What modern Magic art has in technical proficiency, it lacks tenfold in character.
>>
File: dandan_640.jpg (62 KB, 640x513) Image search: [Google]
dandan_640.jpg
62 KB, 640x513
>>44219567
I want Drew Tucker back.
>>
File: Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.jpg (40 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.jpg
40 KB, 223x310
>>44219593
Mark Tedin should have done eldrazi art for BfZ
>>
>>44219689
As a Mark Tedin EDH deck guy I'm still mad he didn't get any new art for a while.
>>
>>44219709
I figured that he doesnt really work for wizards anymore, but gives them art when they really need it
He's far too good an artist for cards today
>>
>>44219801
It looks more like Wizards just didn't assign him any more new art for sets. There hasn't been much going on for him in the past few years judging from his "News" section.

http://marktedin.com/news.html

http://marktedin.com/artlist1.html
>>
>>44219801
I think the last time the hired Tedin to do new card art was New Phyrexia (and only to do the Forests). Last before that was a couple cards in the original Zendikar.
>>
So, since Ob Nixilis has released Kozilek in Zendikar, that just leaves Emrakul.

Both Ob and Emmie fled Zendikar, as with Sorin who left because Nissa is a cunt.

Is it possible that Emrakul will come to Innistrad, hence "'Shadows' Over Innistrad"?

I'd like to see Avacyn and Emrakul go at it.
>>
>>44220117
That's one theory, its probably wrong but would certainly be interesting.
>>
>>44220323
I wonder if Nixilis is luring Emrakul to Innistrad, assuming that theory is correct. Maybe Nixilis has some vendetta against Sorin because of his business with Nahiri.
>>
>>44219869

There was a fairly recent changing in the art guard because wizards wanted to screw them even harder, money wise. So a lot of the artists refused to resign, and it really shows with recent sets.
>>
24 out of184 cards were spoiled. How are people still acting like it's a massive amount of spoilers?
>>
>>44209671

It's impossible to get data in either direction since every set involves enough differences to warrant different sales figures you can't compare them to each other, meaning you would need to compare a parallel universe where there were leaks to one where there weren't to see if sales were any different. If sales of the set suck (which they might, since so far people don't seem thrilled with the block) it's very hard to say if it's because people don't want the cards or because people saw the cards earlier than WotC intended.

However, if anyone wants to lay claim to the statement "the world saw three cards from the set a couple weeks earlier, therefore fewer people will buy packs" they can feel free. I'm pretty confident that everyone else will look at that person as though they were a complete moron even if we lack the data to prove it.
>>
>>44219869
>It looks more like Wizards just didn't assign him any more new art for sets.

It's much more likely that Tedin refuses to get paid the pathetic sum that Wizards artists get paid these days
>>
File: 1084 Cucks.png (57 KB, 1014x566) Image search: [Google]
1084 Cucks.png
57 KB, 1014x566
>>44209188
Thank God this site has my back, reddit, tumblr, and my play group are all acting like faggots over this leak. I say good, I am fucking sick of wizards holding out till the last minute for spoilers. I am glad they are butt blasted mad, they did this to themselves. It's a month to pre-release, and all we get are faggot fluff stories, they should be doing leaks here and there at least two months before. All these faggot cvcks making a big deal out of nothing, cry me a fucking river wizards, don't give me, muh marketing team, where was that team when I visited the site for two weeks to read dick fucker fluff articles, or read there teen fanfiction level story.

Reddit Status: Anally Annihilated
>>
>>44210236

>he doesn't watch his opponent's mouseovers like a hawk to deduce information about their hand
>>
File: BYwMdcJCIAA5hWm.jpg (64 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
BYwMdcJCIAA5hWm.jpg
64 KB, 600x800
>>44220695
I zipped over there, what a bunch of faggots
>>
Who remember when there were NO spoilers? There used to be a handful of cards until release. Leaks throughout the last ten years forced wizards to start doing previewing the whole set.
>>
>>44220507
As far as I know, Nixilis has no idea Sorin even exists. He'll probably know soon seeing as he and Sorin are both hunting her down, but for the moment it's pretty safe to assume Nixilis will have nothing to do with SoI.
>>
>>44217562
You're straight up lying.
>>
>>44221069
Regardless, I have a good feeling about the lore. Even if the cards are underwhelming.
>>
>>44209507
that job must have sucked during Born of the Gods
>>
>>44209507
>>44210414
The faggot should have started to release cards sooner, If I was in his shoes I would be giving customer what they want, maybe one to two cards a week for month two and then get more aggressive closer to the date.
>>
>>44217562
Khans pumped out awesome cards and awesome commanders. It was a well-versed and complex block that gave Sarkhan a purpose and good characterization.

That's all anyone could've asked for, because Sarkhan is awesome but had to get fucked in the ass by Niggol Bolas.
>>
>>44221316
Same, they're at least doing the lore right (besides Nissa, holy shit they fucked her character up (Though I really like jace now so that's a thing))
>>
>>44209188

Why the fuck doesn't this cost 10?
>>
>>44221776
Because colorless costs are Kozilek's Thing like ingest/processing is Ulamog's Thing
>>
>>44221808
Ulamog confirmed for shit.
>>
>>44221865
Well he used to have annihilator, but wizards decided that was too badwrongfun like LD or everything good that red gets
>>
>>44221889
While I too was salty as fuck they got rid of annihilator, they actually did a pretty good flavor reason for explaining why they don't anymore, as they needed energy to get jumpstarted from the ten thousand years of slumber. Now that they devoured enough, they can do their own things.
>>
File: 1408668900254.jpg (116 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1408668900254.jpg
116 KB, 640x1136
>>44221646
>besides Nissa, holy shit they fucked her character up

This is the future you chose, Nissa. Why did you touch the hedron?
>>
>>44213994
Holy shit that article is gold. He gets shot down over the colorless matters theme, morphs at common, and playing non-creature cards as morphs (basically manifest), all of which were later used in Khans and BFZ.

It seems like WotC is really running out of ideas.
>>
>>44221954
Nissa did everything wrong.
>>
>>44222006
ASHAYAASHAYAASHAYA

wotc pls I can only take so much
>>
>>44221989
>It seems like WotC is really running out of ideas.

Now it seems like they're trying to build so much upon their old ideas, tying up loose ends and whatnot, which is both good and bad for a number of reasons.

Alas, there is only so much you can do in a multiverse with infinite possibilities.
>>
>>44221465
This. Some people have demanding work/school commitments and can't chew through fifty new spoilers that come out on the Thursday before prerelease. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>44221465
This. Imagine if movies didn't start putting out trailers (to use the article's trailer analogy) until a two weeks before the movie comes out. No, you start putting shit out well in advance and ramp up into more the closer you get to release.

Set previews should start at least a few weeks earlier than they do. One or two cards a week to pique people's interest. Then ramp up during the last couple weeks.
>>
Lets be real: how hard can it be to write an article going 'hey look at this cool shit your going,to buy packs anyway like thr drug addict you are. Heres 3 sentences about why you wont read and some flavor I shat out this morning. Eat it and say thank you'

One card spoiled, big woop you got some 200 others to go through. Now I know to save up as half the cards I want are mythics and will be 4-ofs, and 2 4-of rare lands.
>>
>>44222658
>Imagine if movies didn't start putting out trailers
I would actually prefer no trailers at all. They do nothing but lie to you. There are several great movies that I didn't want to see at first simply because their trailers made me think they were going to suck Drive, and several films that did indeed suck but where their trailer made me think they were going to be great Man of Steel.
>>
>>44217562
The khans block is the best example of a block that makes ALL formats happy.

It made draft happy
It made EDH happy
It made Modern happy
It made legacy happy
It made standard happy
>>
>>44219709

>tfw no new Guay art since Lorwyn/Shadowmoor

I know your pain, friend.
>>
>>44221465
Fucking this. I'm assuming this is the same guy who kept the spoilers for Commander 2015 hidden until a few days before release.
>>
>>44209188
>>44209474
Okay guys I am not into mtg and only got here by the butthurt level OP is quotin but

Kozilek?
That's some big scary eldritch avomination?
KOZILEK?

Its name is phonetically half a step removed from russian for "little goat".

This thing.
Is.
A LITTLE GOAT.
>>
>>44221465
The problem is that WotC don't want to affect sales of the set currently being sold by getting people excited over cards that they won't get to play for another two months.

I do agree though that they could be teasing us more earlier than they are currently doing.
>>
Fuck all this, I love leaks. Spoiler season is a lot of fun with my friend, we're always looking it up. Why would wizards hate my fun?
>>
>>44224000
Spoiler season and leaks are two different things.
>>
>>44223985
IKR. Keeps amusing me to this day.
>>
>>44220117
>I'd like to see Avacyn and Emrakul go at it.
Boy, are you in luck!
http://pastebin.com/yjA9G5Lk
>>
>>44209495
>a shit card will be a shit card regardless of how its first presented
The point is if you see all the mythics at once you can decide this shit is shit and not pre-order a box.
>>
>>44222930
So does the spoiler season.
>Reveal the few good cards week one, people will keep coming for their crack and not notice the rest is shit because they're still exited about the good ones.
>>
>>44209188

Patrick "Trick kids and fiddle with them" Jarrett
>>
File: What A Waste.png (245 KB, 318x442) Image search: [Google]
What A Waste.png
245 KB, 318x442
>>44209188
Okay, lets get real for a moment: What is "Spoiler Season"?

Spoiler Season is ADVERTISING.

It's wizards shouting very loudly about their product, trying to big up the good bits and drown out any complaints in a wave of Hype. It's the Super Bowl half-time: a giant pile of marketing that got so good at its job people prefer it to the actual product.

Why do they condense it over the course of a week rather than over months? That way you don't have time to evaluate each card dispasionately, instead relying on snap emotional judgements. And before the emotional high wears off, BAM another spoiler. It's a carefully crafted ratchet system, designed to get you to buy a product without thinking about it. Then later when the the thrill wears off you'll realise you didn't actually enjoy it, that the things Maro promised were lies.

Anyone whining about "losing their spoiler season" is complaining about having a fair opportunity to debate and consider a product, without external bias. Rather than enjoying a gentle brain-numbing-massage by WotC, to part you from your money for the least possible effort. If WotC want our money, they should damn well WORK for it. Produce a game that can stand up to inspection without shilling.

Advertising is the opposite of Art.

Art illuminates and causes discussion, going in directions the original creator cannot predict or control. It gives the consumer the oportunity for new experiences, and new ways to see the world. People seek out and pay for Art.

Advertising hides the truth behind double-speak, and seeks to stifle and control discussion in any direction but the one the creator approves of. It forcably changes the way the consumer sees/experiences the product/world. People must be paid/tricked into consuming advertising.

Magic the game is Art.
Spoiler Season is Advertising.
Never be tricked into desiring Advertising, when you actually want Art.

tl;dr, Brave New World was right.
>>
>>44209188
Just curious, does anyone here actually sympathize with this guy? Even a little?
This is one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen come from an established company.
>>
>>44224603
i don't, you see assclowns like this in every hobby and they always get mercilessly mocked
>>
>>44223996
It's sad that they treat the player base like Autist, but the truth is, it's spikes, autistic casuals, and a small minority of normal people. So yeah, still I can handle a spoiler and still be interested in it in 3 months
>>
File: shit's on fire yo.jpg (26 KB, 480x445) Image search: [Google]
shit's on fire yo.jpg
26 KB, 480x445
>>44209188
What seems utterly ridiculous is this part:

> Let me lay out the plan we had to reveal Kozilek and highlight how we had built the context around our previews, had he not leaked early. First, after weeks of telling the story of the Gatewatch's battles against Ulamog and his brood on Zendikar, we lined up the story in Uncharted Realms to officially reveal Kozilek and his mischief on Wednesday, December 9. This date would have given the community a few days to talk about him, take contextual clues from the story as to what his card might do, and try to guess what he was going to look like. Then, the following weekend at the World Magic Cup, we would have revealed the full card and explained the new colorless mana symbol. Once we explained Kozilek and the new colorless mana symbol, we would then have shown you, as we did, Ancient Tomb's new Zendikar Expedition printing, which prominently featured the colorless mana symbol.

> As it turns out, this is exactly what we did. Unfortunately though, much of the community had already seen Kozilek. So his rising out of the ocean at Sea Gate? Not that exciting. Our revealing of him on stream? Boring. The presence of the colorless mana symbol? Confusing. Because it was done out of context and out of order, the entire plan suffered and our fans were cheated out of the best experience we could deliver.

Thing is, THEY FUCKING SPOILED KOZILEK AND WASTES THEMSELVES!

> http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/129192880288/wednesday-november-18th-2015-prepare-yourself
> http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133172063743/five-days-remain-plan-accordingly#notes
> http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133305372973/less-than-72-hours-ensure-your-affairs-are-in#notes

And guess what spoiler happened on: Wednesday, November 18th 2015

> http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/648035-ogw-kozilek-the-great-distortion-and-new-basic
>>
File: RedditFAGGOT.png (114 KB, 944x315) Image search: [Google]
RedditFAGGOT.png
114 KB, 944x315
>>44224603
Fags on reddit do, autism, autism everywhere
>>
>>44225106
Jesus Christ that's pathetic. Does he think they're gonna send him boosters in the mail or something if he sucks up to them like a good little consumer? That's genuinely creepy, if someone talked like that around me in real life I would make it a priority to leave his presence and never encounter that person again.
>>
File: 1443582131727.jpg (47 KB, 508x600) Image search: [Google]
1443582131727.jpg
47 KB, 508x600
>It is easy, given Oath of the Gatewatch's series of leaks, to forget just how successful we are in these protocols. Like reading a book and not actively noticing, "Huh, I haven't found a typo yet." Or riding a bus and not considering that "Wow, we got there on time!" The normal level of delivery is just the status quo; it's unremarkable.

no 1 remembers the whole nex phyrexia leak thing right lol
>>
>>44225249
>New Phyrexia
And did that leak even influence the sales of either Mirrodin Besieged or New Phyrexia itself? I might be wrong but I thought the entire Scars of Mirrodin block was pretty fucking popular despite the leak.
>>
>>44225249
>Or riding a bus and not considering that "Wow, we got there on time!"
I bet he's ridden plenty of buses to come up with that line.

He always pondered why they were smaller than all the other buses, though.
>>
>>44225464
It was a god-awful block aside from New Phyrexia, which was only good for how bonkers it was. But it was popular.

Then again, Theros is/was the best selling Magic block of all time, because it was literally the first set sold in some foreign countries.
>>
File: Wizards lying.jpg (501 KB, 752x2582) Image search: [Google]
Wizards lying.jpg
501 KB, 752x2582
>>44225093
>>
>>44209231
I much prefer to not be spoiled on cards until some faggot pulls it out on the last turn of the finals at the tournament I'm in, completely wrecking my shit and making me scream NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>44225093
I think he's just using Kozilek as an excuse to shame the other leaks.

That, or they seriously don't know MaRo did it. In which case, he gets fired, Ken Nagle takes over total control of Magic and even the biggest nay-sayer begs for MaRo to return.
>>
>>44225537
What is weird is how the source of the other leak doesn't give a single fuck:

https://twitter.com/GameWorldTV/status/676222289055125504

I wouldn't be suprised if this was an intentional leak as well.
>>
>>44209188
As much as I kind of agree with their stance on leaks, and this guys personal stake in this, this kind of article seems pretty poor form. Like some anons had said, a simple 'yes a leak happened, we are doing what we can to increase security and pursuing our legal options, leaks are bad, kids' would have been vastly more appropriate. This isn't going to convince anyone actually leaking, it's doubtful to sway anyone seeking out the leaks, and overall it just comes across as venting frustration.

>>44225249
You're kind of just proving him right, there. When faced with: "The normal level of delivery is just the status quo; it's unremarkable", your immediate response is
>this one time, 5 years ago, the whole set was leaked
Also,
>lol
Leave.
>>
>>44225568
Why would they give a shit?

Only time WotC took legal action over leaks was that fiasco for Time Spiral, but that was very different circumstances.
>>
>>44225597
IIRC, they took legal action when they fucked over Rancored Elf for spoiling the entire Guildpact set.

Don't remember any legal stuff about the New Phyrexia god book spoiler, aside from banning a few people for a while.
>>
I though the leaks were on purpose to drum up hype.
>>
>>44225637
>IIRC, they took legal action when they fucked over Rancored Elf for spoiling the entire Guildpact set.
You got your memory a little off. That was for Time Spiral.

And that's because he was leaking playtest cards for Time Spiral during Ravnica. As playtests, they were still subject to change.
>>
>>44225661
>>44225637
And here's the WotC take on it.

>So let's move along this conversation and get to Rancored Elf. Rancored Elf, with the assistance of another individual, brokered the straw that broke the camel's back. Last December, after receiving pictures of three Time Spiral playtest cards from a third party, Rancored Elf posted them on an online message board. Ironically, he didn't even think that they were real. (Not that it matters, legally speaking.) Let me begin to explain how far over the line this is. At the time, there were three unreleased sets before Time Spiral's release. It wasn't even part of the current block. It's important to Wizards to keep the focus on the current set or perhaps on an upcoming set if the release is relatively soon. But the last thing we want after the first release of a block is to have players focusing on the theme of next year's block - something they wouldn't be able to purchase for ten months.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr233
>>
some wanker is just upset that he didnt get to be the first to leak
>>
>>44225093
>Unfortunately though, much of the community had already seen Kozilek. So his rising out of the ocean at Sea Gate? Not that exciting.
Knowing WotC's CG skills, that would have looked like absolute piss.
>>
>>44225770
>Unfortunately though, much of the community had already seen Kozilek. So his rising out of the ocean at Sea Gate? Not that exciting
I still don't understand how that was supposed to be surprising. It was kind of obvious when every reference to Emrakul in flavour text was "Emrakul has left Zendikar", while the references to Kozilek all said "no one knows where Kozilek is :^)"
The card is neat, and exciting, but 'surprise, Kozi's back!" was incredibly obvious.
>>
File: 10.jpg (58 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
58 KB, 312x445
>>44225844
>Kozilek could be literally anywhere, you guys! we, the writers, don't even know where he is! it's a huge surprise!
>>
>>44225844
Plus, the block takes on the structure of a tragedy where the first set included the first two acts where the heroes at first are at a disadvantage but slowly seem to be able to muster a win, only to then in the third act have something terrible happen that strips all their hope away.
>>
File: 1302089698107.png (191 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1302089698107.png
191 KB, 351x351
>>44221776
But anon, it still costs 10

In my Tron deck.
>>
>>44225106
>He probably reads every leak possible for all the marvel movies
>He is as bad as the leaker
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.