[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Overlord? The series itself was inspired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 23
File: aog.png (734 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
aog.png
734 KB, 1366x768
What does /tg/ think of Overlord? The series itself was inspired by a campaign of D&D that the author played with his friends, including the author of Log Horizon and Maoyuu I believe.

It has a lot of neat D&D stuff, like artifacts, caster levels and classes all of them pretty similar to D&D's barring a few modifications. Hell, at some point when the main character fights seriously, he starts using contingency spells and metamagic feats like it was nobody's business. You can't get more D&D than that.
>>
>>44188224
This sounds good. I might start watching it.

Dub or sub?
>>
>>44188224
Its okay. Not great but okay. I'm honestly waiting for the parts where the dragons get off their asses and actually do shit to shove Nazarick's face in.
>>
File: preparing to shitpost.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
preparing to shitpost.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>44188231
Subbed, I don't think there's a dub out yet.
>>
>>44188256
I fucking love this and this part in the series. More than any other show, this shows off the actual MMO mage way of fighting

ALL DA FUKKEN BUFFS
>>
>>44188235
>Shove Nazaricks face in

I'm sorry to tell you but there are only a handful of dragons left alive and they are at best on par with a guardian. The real threat to Nazarick is the stuff that ignores power differences
>>
>>44188224
I dislike it. Too 3edgy5me
>>
>>44188231
What, do you listen to translations of operas?

You can't truly appreciate a work unless you hear it in the original language.

But yes, Overlord is good. Enjoy your glorious fanservice.
>>
It's a television show about a objective loser who spent all of his youth in a video game and the show is likely just him asphyxiating on a helium tank and having visions just as the servers went down forever.

If that appeals to you, you're set.
>>
I think it would be a lot better were it not yet another "I'm a loser but now I'm trapped in a video game and I'm really cool" and was instead just about an actual goddamn skeleton.
>>
>>44188585

so the only stuff you can watch without it being "too edgy" is MLP?

seriously they spend half of the fucking show helping people and saving them. jesus
>>
>>44188698

Hide your autism levels better, they can feel you on namek.
>>
>>44188645
But he is out of the game. He got transported to a whole new world as a spooky skeleton.
>>
File: 153135135131385.jpg (9 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
153135135131385.jpg
9 KB, 256x192
>>44188645
Nobody would watch the latter. The former only works because there is an entire generation of people whose glory days were isolated to some mmo.

>"I scored 3 flags once in a single game"
>>
>>44188781
No he killed himself. He had the helium tank set to open the valve at the same time the servers went down. He's hallucinating in the moments before his death.
>>
>>44188757

Namek will quake with the resounding cry of "HE'S RIGHT YOU KNOOOOW"
>>
>>44188847

A person's never right about anything until their 30's at least.
>>
>>44188801
Helium tank is such a bad meme friend.
>>
>>44188884

Go back to /sci/ and learn to troll better.
>>
>>44188224

It was a great series, except for the ending. It ends with plenty of hints of what could happen in season 2.

However, nobody has announced season 2 as far as I know.
>>
>>44188960
Have you read the novels? They're translated and they feature everything that happens after season 1. You can find them at skythewood's translation blog.
>>
>>44188645
But he is an actual goddamn lich now. That's the point.

Also he's basically a single dad looking after his kids and friends' kids while trying to maintain a reliable image.

And i wouldn't call him a loser, since he was apparently a pretty busy low/mid-management employee before.

(of course pretty busy in Japan means "killing himself at work", but eh)
>>
>>44188990
he was a loser because he spent almost all of his time and income on that mmo.

He's not a role model, he's an example of what not to be.
>>
>>44189032
...no one said he was a role model though?
such a confusing trolling method
>>
>>44189097

You're honestly delusional enough to think everyone is out to get you? Fuck's sake.
>>
>>44188224
>Maoyuu

Welp, I wasn't interested before, now I'm definitely not.
>>
>>44188224
I couldn't get into it. Seemed kinda cool, but literally every single fucking fight in the first half-dozen episodes was a complete and nearly instant curb-stomp in favor of the protagonist. I just don't find that sort of thing very interesting at all.
>>
>>44189491

So you've never watched anime or you can somehow distance yourself from the fact that the protagonist winning is a given from the first second?

That's what One Punch Man is about. It deconstructs that trope.
>>
>>44188224
Overall pretty okay-ish show. Had some really interesting ideas with the mental effects of undeath and how some thoughtless changes in the character description turn the character into a fucking lunatic.

Unfortunately the show doesn't go anywhere with that stuff and just kinda meanders around. There is little to no connection between the plot and things being based on a video game, so it just turns into a guy dicking around in a fantasy world while trying to keep a bunch of psychopaths in check.
>>
>>44188224
Yeah, I've seen that gif too. Answer me this, OP:

Is it a good-natured show that pokes fun at D&D tropes, or is it the entire thing played completely straight? Because that gif looks like an entertaining joke, and I can imagine the show being fun if all of it is like that.
>>
>>44189681
>...the protagonist winning is a given from the first second?
Most anime at least try to pretend that the protagonist might not win, and there are a lot of darker anime where that's actually a real possibility. At the very least, characters in an ensemble show can die.

I'm not talking about just the knowledge that the protagonists will probably win because they're the protagonists. In the battles I saw in this show, there was zero fucking effort expended by the protagonists at all. There was no tension, no drama, no real fight at all... that's just not even a little bit interesting to me. At the very least, I want to see how the protagonist escapes their current predicament with a clever plan or trick, not just yet another moment of "Oh, I'll wave my hand and vaporize everybody, because that's a thing I can do."

I want to see an interesting fight, not a 20th level Wizard against a bunch of 1st level NPC's.
>>
>>44189774
It's a mixed bag, it can get very serious and dark at times but it does have a few joke moments. It's entertaining enough to me at least.
>>
>>44188224
It's shit. And by "it's shit," I mean it takes until, like, the sixth novel before there's any implication of the other end-game PCs that ended up in the new world, which means that until that point it's five novels of the protagonist steamrolling everything with no inconvenience, no impediment and no consequences. That last is especially egregious, as in a story, action without consequence is meaningless.
>>
>>44189806
Not that guy, but if you ask me, a show should have more substance than the fight alone. We know the show must go on, so pretending everyone is going to die is false drama. What makes a dramatic show interesting is the stuff around the fights. I mean, take Star Trek as an example. There's this episode where the Enterprise is destroyed, and then time resets. The interesting thing about the episode is the way the crew lives in this groundhog day scenario for a while until they figure it out, not whether they'll really be destroyed or not. Similarly, the threat of a bunch of Romulans isn't us wondering whether the Enterprise will survive, it's us seeing how the crew was outsmarted by their enemies, and has to cut their losses.
>>
>>44189806
>Most anime at least try to pretend that the protagonist might not win, and there are a lot of darker anime where that's actually a real possibility. At the very least, characters in an ensemble show can die.
That's stupid at best.

>and there are a lot of darker anime where that's actually a real possibility.
Name an anime that ends because the protagonist dies at the hands of evil. Japan would never make that because the point of anime is to fill kids full of propaganda about how life as a japanese isn't a pointless slog.

>I'm not talking about just the knowledge that the protagonists will probably win because they're the protagonists. In the battles I saw in this show, there was zero fucking effort expended by the protagonists at all. There was no tension, no drama, no real fight at all... that's just not even a little bit interesting to me. At the very least, I want to see how the protagonist escapes their current predicament with a clever plan or trick, not just yet another moment of "Oh, I'll wave my hand and vaporize everybody, because that's a thing I can do."

So you want to reach the same point via clever sophistry that just hides the fact that the protagonist winning was never in any doubt?

Why do you like being lied to?
>>
>>44189873
Overlord doesn't do that either, at least not any more than any other action anime. And if my choice is action anime with interesting fights and interesting not-fights or an action anime with boring fights and interesting not-fights, I'm gonna choose the one that's not boring 75% of the time.

And Star Trek is a horrible example, by the way, because Star Trek was not in any way an action show. Overlord is. There's nothing wrong with shows that aren't about the action, but if you're gonna have a show that's full of it, it should at least be interesting.
>>
>>44189942
Yup, might as well just never watch anything ever. No such thing as willing suspension of disbelief, or excitement at seeing an interesting battle played out.

Some of us are capable of having fun and enjoying a good adventure story, even if we're pretty sure the good-guys are gonna win in the end, because the adventure itself is still interesting.
>>
File: 1439450165977.jpg (48 KB, 460x582) Image search: [Google]
1439450165977.jpg
48 KB, 460x582
>>44188231
>2015
>not speaking nip
step it up kouhai
>>
>>44189971
Star Trek isn't a horrible example, because it's exactly what I'm trying to say about the point of threat, regardless of it not being an action show. The threat remains the same, as does the construct of it being a continious show.
>>
>>44190058
The fact that Star Trek isn't an action show is important, though. It's not as important for Star Trek to have interesting action scenes because Star Trek is not about action scenes.

It's like if I said I was a big coffee nut, but that a certain brand of cream tastes terrible in coffee... then you respond by saying that that cream tastes great in tea. That may well be true, but I don't want tea, I want coffee, and just because a flavor works well with tea doesn't mean it will be as good in coffee.

The type of story you're talking about in Star Trek works just fine in a show like Star Trek, specifically because Star Trek is not an action show. Hell, in Star Trek, generally speaking, if there's a fight going on that means the protagonists have already screwed up. That kind of story does not necessarily work in a show that has a much larger focus on the action.
>>
I think all this dickery about the protagonist never losing fights sort of misses the entire point of Overlord.

It's not a shonen "I wanna be the strongest and fight for what's right against impossible odds" anime. It's not a small-time underdog main character struggling against the overpowered villain; the main character IS the overpowered villain, and his very existence fucks up the world's politics and the balance of power between the nations. And on top of that, you've got the main character himself trying not to make TOO many waves (in case there are bigger fish out there) and trying to act like the glorious sinister mastermind that his (very real, very powerful) underlings think he is.

It's like a comedy of errors where one side tosses around shitty spells and pay-to-win items and trying to figure out how much they're worth, except the other side grows more and more horrified because he's dropping the fantasy equivalent of thermonuclear explosives and perpetual motion generators willy-nilly, and the dawning "oh shit" factor is something to see. That's the draw of Overlord for me.
>>
>>44190010
>Yup, might as well just never watch anything ever. No such thing as willing suspension of disbelief, or excitement at seeing an interesting battle played out.

Oh i get it you were pretending to be a petulant child.

Good one, almost couldn't tell.
>>
>>44190010
You mean you're capable of turning your brain completely off.

Not really a skill i fancy.

>>44190168
Star Trek is an action show. Haven't you seen any of the movies in the last 20 years?
>>
>>44190624
It's like what deathnote tried to be but shot itself in the foot in the first volume.

We want to see the bad guy win, just once.
>>
File: Overlord Baneposting.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Overlord Baneposting.webm
2 MB, 720x405
He's a big guy.
>>
>>44188989
>skythewood'

It's on my list :p thanks for mentioning it though.
>>
>>44190768
https://mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5q

Here's all of the translated LNs enjoy at your leisure.
>>
Leaving character fates to fan votes was a mistake.
>>
>>44190944
Maruyama only made fan votes in the Web Novel.
The Light Novel had no official fan vote to begin with as far as I'm aware.
>>
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 600x811) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 600x811
I was hoping that this thread was about the GOOD overlord. You know, the game series, with the goblin minions, and subjugating or slaughtering hundreds of not so innocent innocents.

But it's yet another thread on the weebshit overlord.
>>
>>44191215
That overlord is not /tg/ although, in the instances when it is, it tends to be absolute horseshit.
>>
>>44191292
>High magic
>Medieval setting
>shit that obviously makes fun of the supposedly virtuous heroes and also bbegs
Yes, please tell me how it isnt /tg/
>>
>>44188224
I think that /a/ is for the discussion of anime, not /tg/
>>
>>44191342
Because it's a video game.
World of Warcraft is not /tg/ unless it's in tabletop form.
Also, every time somebody tries to turn it into a tabletop or a quest it ends as horseshit because the players generally turn their overlord into a massive wimp if they're not railroaded.
>>
>>44190680
The bad guy has to be likeable first
>>
>>44191480
And how is a shitty anime ABOUT a videogame suddenly /tg/ related? It has two degrees of separation compared to the vidya Overlord's one.
>>
>>44191486

What's not to like? You can watch One Punch where the guy wins without effort, but not this?
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 540x701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 540x701
>>44191480
Settings are basically tg's domain.
Overlord would make a pretty cool setting to play a game in.
I don't see why it would need its own system, just adapt one.
And quests are a whole different thing. You can make a quest out of anything. You can make a quest about punching little girls like yourself.
>>
>>44191533
Why do you fags keep comparing this to OPM? They're nothing alike in regards to plot, theme, or protagonist. It feels like you're just trying to ride OPM's coattails for acceptance.

Not that I think /tg/ is the place to discuss OPM, for that matter
>>
>>44191526

This is just /b/

Everything is on topic if you're scummy enough. We can talk about literally anything.
>>
>>44191578
So then why is Overlord anime /tg/ related when Overlord vidya isn't? The latter has the arguably better setting too
>>
>>44191580
Both are stories about untouchable protagonists exerting their power in interesting ways.

One punch man is a deconstruction. Overlord is just more of the same power fantasy that all shonen animes appeal to.
>>
>>44191600
3/10 got me to respond but was extremely obvious and just rehashing what you previously said

If this is somehow serious, then ill just say that your opinion is shit, and that the topic is subjective. Both can be tg related, imbecile.
>>
>>44191610
>Both are stories about untouchable protagonists exerting their power in interesting ways
Not really and that just proves to me you've never read OPM. OPM exerting his power is the furthest thing to the focus of the show. It's the punchline of almost every joke, but the show is about everything BUT Saitama's fights.

Meanwhile, Overlord is just an extended dickwaving performance that would put meatspin to shame. It has more in common with RE:Monster than OPM.
>>
>>44191683
>just rehashing what you previously said
Because you still have yet to counter this statement. What makes the anime /tg/ relevant when the vidya isn't like was previously asserted?
>>
>>44191718
Both are capable of being tg related, like i said. Not a hard concept, and if you need your hand held and the reasons for why explained, then you aren't worth the effort of explaining it to you in the first place. Figure it out, or don't.
>>
>>44191695
Because saitama is the typical shounen protagonist whose victory is guaranteed just because he's the protagonist.

OPM is a deconstruction because it strips all the glory and valor and suspense from that position. It doesn't try and fool you into thinking he can't win by having him beaten by someone only for him to find a new powerup sword or technique. It skips all that shit.

People have completely missed that it's making fun of people who like shit like bleach and naruto.
>>
>>44191526
No need to get all butthurt. If you wanna make a thread about the vidya overlord based tabletop games or start a quest, you can do so. Nobody is stopping you.
Just saying that attempts to make it /tg/ fail more often than they don't.

Animu overlord is basically just a ripoff of DnD mechanics in a different setting, so chances are people have already played it in one form or another.
>>
>>44191793
>it's making fun of people who like shit like bleach and naruto
I don't see it as making fun of anything. It's just a guy who wants to be a hero, but it's not fun for him because every enemy is just too fucking easy for him so he just suffers with boredom.
>>
>>44191793
None of that contradicts what I said
>>
>>44191840
You're kidding, right?

Like, OPM is a huge parody of not only shonen stuff, but also superhero comics and of power level discussions.

Like, that's the entire point of the series.
>>
>>44188224
What does this have to do with traditional games?
>>
>>44191840
Right. Which would be the normal response of anyone genre savvy in any other shounen anime.

Like, nobody should ever doubt goku. All of his friends constantly shit on him even though he's not lost an important fight in the 20+ years they've know him.

OPM is genre savvy. It hangs lampshades on all the hero tropes. He can't just be a hero, he has to be registered, people think he's a cheat because he's so strong out of nowhere, he has to make quotas, he's strong JUST because he trained physically and everyone else KNOWS that's bullshit.

I really didn't think it was that clever that people could completely miss it.
>>
>>44188224
The actual game stuff is significantly less interesting than the implied relationships between the main character and his old guildmates.

It wears the surface trappings of yet another "trapped in an MMO" anime, but the show is actually about Evil Friendship. There's something very melancholy about it all.
>>
>>44191900

Address the contentions with a response.
>>
>>44188645
"Being a productive member of society" was one of the two prerequisites for being a member of that guild. He had a real job. It was soul-destroying and unfulfilling, but that's the standard working environment in Japan.
>>
>>44191953
The character interactions are the best part, I think.

I really enjoy how he's so desperate to act like a leader to all the NPCs and so frightened if they discover he's not nearly as clever as they think he is contrasted by the fact that they could absolutely give a shit about who exactly he is, and would be loyal no matter how he acted.

Like how he's trying to offer them rewards and benefits when by their very nature serving him is reward in and of itself.

Combined with the fact that he has no one to actually talk to, it's a pretty interesting setup.

All the game and fighting stuff is interesting enough, but certainly the weakest part of the show.
>>
>>44189491
The point of the show is not Momonga and crew experiencing physical threats. The entire point of the first three episodes was establishing that power-wise absolutely nothing in this new world can touch him, and that that's not what this show is about.

The show is about nostalgia, loss, friendship, living with the consequences of your mistakes (like reprogramming a major NPC to be madly in love with you as a joke because she was about to cease to exist, except now she's a real person you have to live with), and trying to be a decent surrogate father/ruler/caretaker to the only things he has left to remember his friends by.
>>
What does this have to do with traditional games?
>>
>>44191486
>Momonga
>Not likeable
What? Have you never experienced nostalgia, anon?
>>
>>44192080
The entire system of the anime is basically not-D&D. It's very obviously inspired by it, and plenty of the spells and abilities even have practically identical names.

It has cooler classes though. I'd love to see the specifics of the General class, especially since it seems no one in Overlord ever took it.
>>
>>44191480
>vidya isn't /tg/
>anime somehow is
No really, get the fuck out or lurk the fuck more, newfag.
>>
>>44192110
>The entire system of the anime is basically not-D&D
No, it's not!WoW.

Also you guys JUST said the show isn't about the system but rather the DEEP AND INTERESTING waifubait relationships or whatever
>>
>>44192134
Even better, it's an anime about a videogame.

It's double unrelated
>>
>>44192026
>I really enjoy how he's so desperate to act like a leader to all the NPCs and so frightened if they discover he's not nearly as clever as they think he is contrasted by the fact that they could absolutely give a shit about who exactly he is, and would be loyal no matter how he acted.
That bit is actually really compelling, especially once the show actually gets into the psychology of the NPCs. He's literally their last remaining creator deity and they're desperate to make sure he doesn't leave like the rest. They'd follow him through hell and back just because he was the only one who never abandoned them.

That's the most interesting thing about the NPCs: They KNOW. They know EVERYTHING. They know they're NPCs. They know their god is the in-game avatar of some yutz in some MMO. They know he was the only one who stayed behind. Hell, Albedo knows Momonga went into her code and reprogrammed the primary aspect of her personality for a joke.

And none of them care about any of that. They just want to be who they were made to be.
>>
>>44192139
The only connection it has to WoW is being an MMO.

While it's connection to D&D is quite a bit stronger.
>>
>>44192139
WoW has spells subdivided into first through ninth spell levels?
>>
>>44192177
In what way?
>>
>>44192192

It did for as long as i played it. You would get a new rank of frostbolt every 10 levels or so.
>>
>>44192177
Which is more of a connection than it has to D&D

And even if he was trapped in D&D, that still doesn't make a thread discussing the anime /tg/ related.
>>44192192
If it doesn't, that FF MMO certainly does.
>>
>>44192158

/tg/ will never have good content because anyone can make the justification that literally any and all topics can be considered material for a campaign.

Just give it up. This is /b/ for dragon porn.
>>
>>44192172
Okay, but what does this have to do with traditional games?
>>
This series is shit. Basically the Everquest servers are shutting down and the biggest faggot in the whole game stays on until they turn off.

But wait! When they do, he opens his eyes and finds he has magically been sent to EQ as his max leveled PC with all his gear and his former guild mate‘s NPCs as his servants. Everyone sucks his dick and he is the best. He decides to pretend to be evil, pretending to be good, to take over the new fantasy land he arrives in. There is zero tension.

It's literally the worst kind of Japanese masturbatory shounen. Like someone watched .hack and SAO but decided they could amp up the wish fulfillment by magically sending the player there instead of them just being stuck in cyberspace,

The setting is more MMO than tabletop RPG.
>>
>>44192260
Nothing. I didn't make the thread, I'm just posting in it.
>>
>>44192051
Seriously. If you didn't feel pangs of sadness and regret when he was talking about all the great times he had with his friends in the game in the past, then the show's not for you.

I miss my guild too.
>>
>>44192195
Concept of classes and how characters progress, how spells work and are cast, character creation and design, and more base mechanics.

I mean, hell, all of the NPCs are basically the players digging through D&D sourcebooks for the most retarded feats, spells, PrCs and templates to slap onto one character to make retardedly broken bullshit.
>>
>>44192260

Campaign setting material is the only box that a thread has to check.

Can this anime/game be used to mine campaign material? Then it's /tg/ related.

It's fucking stupid.
>>
>>44192266
>It's literally the worst kind of Japanese masturbatory shounen. Like someone watched .hack and SAO but decided they could amp up the wish fulfillment by magically sending the player there instead of them just being stuck in cyberspace
If you read the show as wish fulfillment you completely missed the point. Never once has it even been hinted at that Momonga/Ainz considers this a miraculous and welcome escape from his shitty boring life as a Japanese office drone.
>>
>>44192293
On the other end, trolls only have to insist that something doesn't belong on /tg/ in order to consider themselves something other than shitposters.

Ever since the day /tg/ was created as a 40k containment board, people have been posting random shit and talking about how it relates to /tg/. It happened then, it happens now, and it will continue to happen, because it's on topic to the nature of the board.
>>
>>44188224
>What does /tg/ think of Overlord?
Sup bro, heard you were wondering my opinion on Overlord.

Shit such desu, senpai. Only cucks like that shit. Watch something with more lolis in it next time.
>>
>>44192314
If anything, there's something to be said for the fact that he ended up doing this to escape his boring working businessman lifestyle, but the first thing he tries to do is model his interactions with the NPCs after his old workplace, and creates all the same stresses for himself he had before.
>>
>>44192322
>On the other end, trolls only have to insist that something offtopic belongs on /tg/ in order to consider themselves something other than shitposters
FTFY
>>
>>44192344
Hey, clever thing there, rewriting my sentence to say something different.

Did you have a point though? Was there a clever end to this little quip?
>>
>>44192282

But that bullshit is usually in the form of a Cash Shop Item or very rare World Drop, which are both purely mmo tropes. His mask is just a christmas item he got once.
>>
>>44192293
Okay, but this thread isn't for any of that. It's for discussing the anime and last I checked this wasn't /a/.

Come back when you've statted Skelemary Sue in DnD or something
>>
>>44192281
I don't miss my guild because I do not play MMOs. MMOs are for faggots.
>>
>>44192340
Okay, but what does this have to do with traditional games?
>>
>>44192358
There's certainly MMO style elements as well,of course. But they're really few and far between.

But consider the World Class Items. Only one can exist, they're retardly powerful, etc, etc, etc.

They're straight up D&D artifacts.

Hell, the epic level spells even mimic the way epic spells worked in D&D.
>>
>>44192390
Whatever I want it to.

Report the thread and hide it. If a mod considers it off topic, it'll get deleted.
>>
>>44192314
>Never once has it even been hinted at that Momonga/Ainz considers this a miraculous and welcome escape from his shitty boring life as a Japanese office drone.

He gave up trying to log off after less than a day, bro. He is an abject loser, that's why he played an mmo from launch until server shutdown. All his friends have to hide their remorse for his life. The one guy that showed up felt awkward at getting the guy's hopes up even.
>>
>>44192314
Yes he does.

That's the reason he played the MMO in the first place.

>the MC having ultimate power and every woman wanting his dick isn't escpaism! H-He‘s suffering just like me!

Christ, you're exactly the shmuck this trash appeals to.
>>
>>44192281
That sounds like /v/ shit, not /tg/
>>44192282
That's an MMO trope too.
>>44192391
>But consider the World Class Items. Only one can exist, they're retardly powerful, etc, etc, etc.
You've clearly never played any pre-WoW MMO's. These things used to be part and parcel for the genre. Unique titles, items, mounts, etc that all had a hard limit on them.
>>
This thread is about as much /tg/ related as a thread about dungeon meshi or one asking for recommended literature.

The connections Overlord has to /tg/ is the fantasy and the gaming part. Personally, I don't think it does very well in either category.

That being said, OP could have made the thread a bit more revelant by opening a discussion about how these themes are handled in the series instead of just asking for opinions/critique of the show itself.
>>
>>44192406
So you admit it's offtopic, then?
>>
>>44192266
He's not sent to the MMO world. He awakens in an actual fantasy world whose inhabitants were taught MMO's magic.
And it's not that much of a wish fulfillment since he can't bone anyone that craves his boner despite being made out of bones.
>>
>>44192434
>This thread is about as much /tg/ related as a thread about dungeon meshi or one asking for recommended literature.
Those threads are shit too
>>
>>44192431
>You've clearly never played any pre-WoW MMO's. These things used to be part and parcel for the genre. Unique titles, items, mounts, etc that all had a hard limit on them.

Which was a D&D inspired concept.

>>44192453
I admit nothing. I already told you, shit like this has happened since /tg/ was first created, it's as much on topic as anything else. /tg/ has always had "Hey let's talk about this random thing" threads.
>>
>>44192391
The series literally tells you it is based on an MMO. The entire thread seems like you're trying to convince people that it's D&D and we should love it. Did /a/ bully you so much you figured you'd try your luck here? That's sad.
>>
>>44192464
>implying affection alone isn't wish fulfillment enough for lonely neckbeard shutins like you
>>
>>44192464
Oh, please.

>all of his gear, his guild, his guild mate's NPCs, all of the magic that worked in his MMO and his cash shop items were sent to a fantasy world!

Just fuck off already with your SAO 2 shit.
>>
>>44192478
I could give a shit about /a/, man. I didn't start the thread, and I'm only her to talk about some shit I found interesting.

If that bothers you, report the thread, then go find an open manhole and fall into it and die covered in shit.
>>
>>44192475
>Which was a D&D inspired concept
Actually, it was inspired by the concept of making the world feel more Alice by having unique artifacts people are willing to kill you over.

Not to mention you're claiming that D&D invented the concept of mythical weapons, which is hilariously preposterous.

I guess Excalibur was just ripped off from D&D too, yeah?
>>
>>44192491
Nope, the lichness takes care of that too. It kills his emotional responses before he can properly have them.
>>
>>44192524
Or maybe you already reported the thread and the Janitors laughed at you and left the thread going, and now you're pissed at your impotence so you need to rage and troll to feel like you're doing something.
>>
>>44192524
>I'm only her to talk about some shit I found interesting.
Then talk about it on /a/, where this garbage belongs
>>
File: 1378191388537.jpg (21 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
1378191388537.jpg
21 KB, 500x574
>>44192491
>>
>>44192391
>But consider the World Class Items. Only one can exist, they're retardly powerful, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah that's nothing new to MMO's. The person on each server who opened the gates of ahn'qiraj in wow got a couple of unique items and titles. I'd bet it's more prevalent in eastern mmo's that are essentially grind: the game.

The show talks about grinding all the time. Grinding like a madman is the entire reason Ainz is so powerful.

You chain buffs before every major pull in an mmo, it's not dnd unique. Abilities like a mage's arcane power buff up any spells used like a metamagic feat.

Lemme put it this way: MMO's Ripped off a lot of dnd, but Overworld is strictly about MMOs.
>>
>>44192469
That has never stopped us, judge this as you like. We get far worse threads than these.
>>
>>44192532
Which is why he got all giddy over groping some tittays in the first episode, right?
>>
Today I learned that /tg/ has never missed an old, lost gaming group.
>>
>>44192530
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never claimed D&D invented the concept itself, just that people were inspired by it specifically. I mean, god forbid game devs who likely grew up gaming would use those gaming concepts in their games, right?

>>44192547
What, instead of talking about 40k, which belongs in the trash?

Or about MTG, which is so terrible it's not funny?

At least this has some fucking merit to it.
>>
File: fry.jpg (124 KB, 1000x723) Image search: [Google]
fry.jpg
124 KB, 1000x723
>>44192563

>hugh laurie
>ever alone
>>
>>44192524
>literally no one wants to mutually jack off about Overlord with you
>no one here likes it
>you keep being a cringeworthy faggot

Well, you and Momonga would get along swimmingly. You remain defiantly escapist in the face of reality.
>>
>>44192571

the lich thing started shortly after that, thankfully.
>>
>>44192593
You do realize I'm not the only one posting about Overlord in here, right?
>>
>>44192577
>just that people were inspired by it specifically.
[CITATION NEEDED]
>I mean, god forbid game devs who likely grew up gaming would use those gaming concepts in their games, right?
God forbid people try to play with the (then new) concept of a wholly new semi-organic world shaped by the players and try to include some incentives for them to further shape that world.

Nope, it was all literally stolen straight from D&D (because D&D is a wellspring of originality in and of itself) because I said so with no backing evidence other than my ass.
>>
>ITT : A misguided crossborder self-inserts into a self-insert in a Chinese cartoon about World of Warcraft and makes appeals for his tastes in the forms of 'muh nostalgia'

Shit. Well, thanks for making me feel better about myself, I guess.
>>
>>44192577
>I hate /tg/ related things but love discussing anime!
Then why are you even here? I don't even like those two things but your argument is retarded
>>
>>44192571
Yes, and then when he refused her offer of sex, that permanently killed his sex drive.

He mentions this later.
>>
>>44192518
His guild didn't get sent to the fantasy world...as far as we know. On the other hand, his guildHOUSE did.

And I'd like you to be more creative with your sperging since there's already a SAO 2.
>>
>>44192633
>despite titties bouncing everywhere, this is a very DEEP AND MELANCHOLY show!
Lolokay
>>
>>44192629
>The entirety of /tg/ is 40k and MTG
>Half the things I've said have had to do with RPGs
Man, I don't even fucking know why I'm here, man.
>>
>>44192643
>his guildHOUSE
That's clearly what he was referring to, pedant
>>
>>44192650
Well, it's Japan. They had to learn how to create depth despite the bouncing titties because you simply cannot avoid the bouncing titties.
>>
>>44192653
>The entirety of /tg/ is 40k and MTG
Except I explicitly stated I don't feel that way, only that your argument of "offtopic thing I like > board relevant thing I dislike" to be fucking retarded.
>Half the things I've said have had to do with RPGs
Yeah, MMORPGs
>>
>>44192643

sword art online is overlord with the weeb turned up to 11.

It's shit, completely and utterly.
>>
>>44192692
>it's all part of the plot, I swear!
Sorry anon, but Bakemonogatari it ain't. It's a shitty power wank wish fulfillment masturbation show.
>>
>>44192709
Nah, I'd say Overlord is worse
>>
>>44192761

It's not about stupid children whining about identity and other autistic japanese problems. It gets rid of the real world in the first episode.
>>
>>44192730
Mate, I was making a joke about all the wanking fucking everywhere in anime. Which I don't like. Thus I made a joke about it.

Because if we can't face the world with laughter, we face it in tears.

>>44192761
I don't think so. SAO is really hard to beat in the bullshit department.

>captcha: noodles
>wants me to select hair
>>
>>44192802
>Because if we can't face the world with laughter, we face it in tears.

thanks aunt nellie.
>>
I like anime. I wouldn't be on 4chan if I didn't. And I like table-top gaming. That's why I'm here, on /tg/.

But Overlord is literally /a/ + /v/, not /a/ + /tg/. Out of all the shit you could have picked (Lodoss War, Wizardry, etc), you instead go completely off the rails demanding people acknowledge non-/tg/ aspects of Overlord as /tg/. You could have asked about the best way to set it up as a tabletop. Or used it as a starting point to talk about the actual Japanese pnp games that exist and are still being translated and used (Nechronica, Magical Burst, etc).

But instead, you decided the best course of action was to be a huge autistic faggot and jack off about the power fantasy aspect and underplay the haremshit.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Overlord is not a sweeping, epic fantasy saga. It is literally a harem shounenshit wish-fulfillment fantasy, that just so happens to THANKFULLY feature Momonga as a lich.

Sadly, what should be the best part (he's a lich), is ruined by him acting like literally any other PC in an MMO.

Just stop struggling.
>>
>>44192802
>Because if we can't face the world with laughter, we face it in tears
To think that you typed such a cringey line with a straight face is painful
>>
>>44192815

I'm going to make a campaign based on overlord.

There. It is not /tg/ related for all of time. Now shut up with your sperging.
>>
>>44192802
>SAO is really hard to beat in the bullshit department.
And Overlord does that in the first episode alone
>>
>>44189032
>He's not a role model, he's an example of what not to be.
So? He's a villain protagonist. Why the fuck would he be a role model?
>>
>>44192854
>It is not /tg/ related for all of time

Well, you said it. Get out now.

It's not related.
>>
>>44192815
They only use his lichdom to do the same thing every other harem anime has to do: come up with a justification why he isn't just fucking one/all of the girls already.
>>
File: 531355331.gif (6 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
531355331.gif
6 MB, 320x240
>>44192802
>Because if we can't face the world with laughter, we face it in tears.
>>
File: nice.gif (962 KB, 320x260) Image search: [Google]
nice.gif
962 KB, 320x260
>>44192854
>It is not /tg/ related for all of time
>>
>>44192870

People were saying he wasn't an abject loser when he is.
>>
>>44192789
>It's not about stupid children whining about identity and other autistic japanese problems.
No, it's about a lone manchild whining about identity and other autistic Japanese problems.

SO much better
>>
>>44192912
>>44192894

Feeling better?
>>
>>44192932

Yeah, actually, because it's not a person younger than 20 whining about shit they don't understand because they're stupid kids. Momonga has real problems like bills.
>>
File: 1443736829024.jpg (55 KB, 503x518) Image search: [Google]
1443736829024.jpg
55 KB, 503x518
>>44188601
Albedo: What happens when you waifu the concept of reaction images.

Also, it's nice to see an anime where the main character is evil, but without being an edgelord about it. Ainz is literally incapable of giving a fuck.
>>
>>44192902
One other thing Overlord does in its harem anime setting is that the girls have an actual reason why they want him instead of that "he's a nice guy" thing: they're fucking programmed to.
>>
>>44192989
Except that's been done before too. Sekirei or whatever it was called that was basically just Waifu Pokémon Battles: The Anime.
>>
>>44192969
>>44192943

Nope, still doing victory laps.

If he's anything like the americans we'll get at least 10 more posts.
>>
>>44192789
And SAO is? Last I checked it was to busy creating cheap drama for [insert name here] to look like a badass.
>>
>>44193018
Nice attempt at a /pol/ derail, eurocuck, but Overlord still isn't /tg/ related
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 125x97) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4 KB, 125x97
>>44193025

One of the worst shows ever aired. A retarded story about Edgy the Edgemaster and his edgy group of edgy friends who hate life and listen to music.

Children can't get enough of that stuff.
>>
>>44192966
Except he still whines about stupid shit like a kid
>>
File: 1443637132418.gif (711 KB, 375x304) Image search: [Google]
1443637132418.gif
711 KB, 375x304
>>44188990
He's a total fucking loser.

He only ended up being guildmaster because he had literally nothing else in his life and spent all his income on the Yggdrasil. Hell, have you read his internal monologues? He's a loser who just so happens to be okay at pretending to not be a loser.

But that's fine, it makes him a better character, and helps separate him from the wish fulfillment fantasy that plagues the genre.
>>
File: 09-cobra9.jpg (143 KB, 430x1160) Image search: [Google]
09-cobra9.jpg
143 KB, 430x1160
/a/ here : You managed to have worse Overlord threads than us, and that's saying a lot.

I'd recommend you guys make Monster Musume threads, but that's kind of the entire board, so, good job.
>>
>>44193036

There is nothing under the sun that isn't /tg/ related.

Keep whining about the moderation staff and policies though. That always has a positive outcome for us.
>>
>>44193045
That would explain Overlord's popularity
>>
>>44192282
And then there's Victim. An NPC that caused so much butthurt that the devs had to come out and say 'Yes, Victim is a legal build'.

Best minion.
>>
>>44193045
Don't forget the girl that got aids for not joining the mc's harem.
>>
>>44193057
>it makes him a better character
>the fact that he's a lose like me that gets everything handed to him on a solid gold platter makes him a better character!
Kek
>>
>>44193052

The japanese don't have a word for autism because it'd be redundant.
>>
I started in on the light novels, but the more I read them, the less I enjoyed them.

I get that Momonga is clearly the villain, which means that his motivations and actions are clearly going to negatively affect the world around him, but I really, really want somebody to push his shit in.

All of the characters not from Nazarick are still PEOPLE. I like some of them, and It'd be nice to see them develop instead of only existing to give the bad guys people to puppet around and showcase how absurdly powerful they are.

As much as I like some of the characters, I'd really like to see them do something constructive with all of their power, instead of murdering people and mutilating the local political system while they take over the world.
>>
>>44193096
It's because he's imperfect, unlike you, obviously.

>>44193073
What popularity? Is it on adult swim?
>>
>>44193103
No they're not.

No one in the setting are people. It's all MMO NPCs, or delusions of Momonga.

>people literally don't realize this shit isn't happening
>>
File: Yep.jpg (49 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Yep.jpg
49 KB, 800x500
>>44193096
>>
>>44193132

Unless we're going on the "he's slowly dying from helium asphyxiation"/pure retarded magical world theme, i'm pretty sure there are still a handful of other PC's in the world.
>>
>>44193103
The other characters in the setting get a lot of development. The basic pattern of the chapters actually tends to be

>Extremely long character development section for new characterss
>Brief interludes for Nazarick
>NPCs have a problem, hinted at being connected to Nazarick
>Nazarick descends, NPCs put up resistance
>Nazarick rolls out it's bullshit OP super fighters to one-shot everything
>Developed characters get their shit pushed in
>Survivors (if any) are press-ganged into Nazarick.
>>
>>44193143
I didn't move any goalpost. It's still wish fulfillment bullshit. In fact, it's arguably even more wish fulfillment bullshit than your average show
>>
File: UberV1TPB.jpg (706 KB, 1500x2318) Image search: [Google]
UberV1TPB.jpg
706 KB, 1500x2318
>>44188224
Honestly? I disliked it quite a bit.
The first episode was spent on jerking of the MC, everyone was amazing by his sole presence. I got the feel as if the dude has weak ego and needed constant encouragement or else he'd become depressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

The whole Knight Captain is worth more than his entire platoon is a trope I detest unless it is done correctly where the knight is essentially a one-man-army more cost efficient than a real army like Aldnoah Zero or Uber.

By Episode six we still have not done any worldbuilding at all, Wakfu had shown us 5 different towns/settlements and done and introduced their own quidditch at that episode. So had the anime Shingeki no Bahamut, hell it was ending at that moment!
"The Light novel is so much better" my friend told me so i read it and you know what? The dude is Evil aligned! Nothing in this show seems to suggest it, in fact it shows quite the opposite!

tl;dr - its okay, really, if you feel like watching a fantasy anime then there was not much fantasy released in 2015. Its just mediocre.
>>
>>44192051
>The entire point of the first three episodes was establishing that power-wise absolutely nothing in this new world can touch him,
One Punch-man established this in the opening scene.
>>
I want the skeleton meme to end.
>>
File: hello darkness my old friend.jpg (145 KB, 911x930) Image search: [Google]
hello darkness my old friend.jpg
145 KB, 911x930
>>44188624
>objective loser who spent all of his youth in a video game

Glory days, gone like dust in the wind.
>>
>>44194131
Yes, but One Punch Man is boring and the writing was intentionally terrible
>>
>>44195324
>Remember my old friends and my old guild.
>Remember the good times.
>Buy Draenor and log in.
>1 player online.
>Find a new guild.
>Only really hit it off with one guy.
>He quits the game.
I don't know where everyone went, but I still have a pit in my heart where they used to be.
>>
>>44195499
The animation is superb and it's as much a comedy as it is an action. Plot is less important.
>>
>>44188224
Just watched it trough because One punch man kindled my interest towards anime again.

Kinda fun, but nothing really happens, and things are dropped halfway trough.

Like, I was interested what would happen to the young wizard since it was constantly hinted that they had this big rescue-the-big-sister-operation going on, yet they are killed like chumps because... Because they started to hit the deadline and all these plotlines they had been building couldn't be done in the time they had?

And then the final fight just comes out of nowhere with no explanation why it happens or who would even be behind it. Just the protags explanation how he he is gonna curbstomp shit. Which was so boring that I almost stopped watching it.

I mean, he is a fucking Lich and it's the only reason why I kept watching it to the end. I love liches. They are literally the best bad guys in all of fantasy.

But all the wasted plotlines just irks me.

Characters 3/5
Plot 1/5
Protag Lich/5
>>
>>44188624
Does that not appeal to you?
>>
>>44189032
Why in the fuck does he need to be a role model not to be a loser? The dude supported himself and spent his time doing what he enjoyed with his friends. More than you can say, faggot.
>>
>>44189774
The main character spent a solid minute applying buffs before the final fight. It was fucking hilarious.
>>
>>44195726
>Because they started to hit the deadline and all these plotlines they had been building couldn't be done in the time they had?

No, it happened that way in the LN too. Overlord just takes the GRRM approach to Characters (build them up, make you care, then ice them).
>>
>>44195862
That's disappointing.

So everyone is a chump expect the protag.

How very Japanese.
>>
>>44195924
>So everyone is a chump except the protag

Pretty much, yeah. If it was a quest on /tg/ nobody would bat an eye.
>>
>>44196014
But then again, nobody has made an actual tv show from anything /tg/ has ever done.

Imagine that.

The only ones I'd be interested in seeing are lego quests, since they are short and to the point with no extra fat and clear visuals. But that's about it.
>>
>>44195726
It's based on a light novel and webseries. That young wizards sister is found and has a thing for the bad ass butler Sebas.
>>
>>44195726
But yeah the last few episodes were very rushed.
>>
File: momonga full res.png (920 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
momonga full res.png
920 KB, 1280x720
>>44188224
It was fun. I hope they do a second season.
>>
>>44192853
You need to learn how to chill anon, I just laughed at his line.
>>
File: SummonedSkull-YSYR-EN-C-1E.png (371 KB, 309x450) Image search: [Google]
SummonedSkull-YSYR-EN-C-1E.png
371 KB, 309x450
>>44196145
What's with Japan and skulls having big "horns" outta their sides?
Is it to imply they are horny?
>>
>>44196368
Those are actually his pauldrons.
>>
>>44195499
At least that's better than being unintentionally boring and terrible like Overlord
>>
>>44197248
I have a question, anon.

Did Overlord like, steal you backpack at school? Stick your head in the toilet, pee on your D&D books/magic cards, and do other mean shit to you on the playground?

Because at this point it's starting to seem like kind of a complex.
>>
>>44197292
>if you're opinion is different than mine you are mentally and psychologically damaged
>>
File: 20151215_192901.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151215_192901.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>44188224
I thought it was bretty good, though it had some pacing issues. Made me want to paint my necromancer based on Badentel. WIP of course.
>>
>>44188645
He was a Salaryman who disliked his job, the game was his big hobby.
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.