[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top Ten Personal Favorite Board Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: Board Games.jpg (583 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Board Games.jpg
583 KB, 1280x720
In this thread we give a top ten list of our personal favorite board games, and then suggest games for others to try that they might enjoy based on their list.

10. Tammany Hall - This is a really fun area of control game that encourages a lot of alliances of convenience and backstabbing. I really enjoy the mechanic of the mayor giving powers to his enemies for future turns. The theme is really cool as well. It can sometimes have a bit of a runaway leader problem on occasions though.

9. Twilight Imperium - This is a great game. It would be a lot higher on my list if it weren't for the fact that I can only rarely get it onto the table. The time factor turns a lot of people away, but once you get into it, it's very rewarding. Even setting up the board at the beginning is fun in itself. Then when we get into the heart of the actual game, I always have a blast even if I lose, which is a good thing given how long the game can go.

8. Diplomacy - This game has a pretty nasty reputation of ruining friends, but in the right group, this game is wonderful. This hits the same problem as Twilight Imperium in that it takes a large time commitment to do, but again, when you can actually find time to do it, it's amazing. It can be emotionally taxing at times, but the wheeling and dealing, the backstabbing, the lies, the suspicion, it's all extremely thrilling.

7. Letters to Whitechapel - I tried to decide between Letters and Fury of Dracula. I finally decided on LtW because some of the cards and powers in FoD seem to make the game a little too random. This is a game where one player moves around in secret while the other players work together to deduce where he's at and catch him. Like the old classic Scotland Yard, only better in my opinion.

6. DC Deck Building Game - For some reason my friends and I can't stop playing this simple deck building game. I'm honestly not sure what it is about it, but we're hooked.

[...]
>>
>>44538507
5. Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - This game is very well designed and a lot of fun to play. Who doesn't like building up a civilization from the ground up? It can be a bit daunting to learn all the rules, but putting in the effort is well worth it.

4. Dominant Species - I just recently started playing this game, but I can't get enough of it right now. I find it well designed and extremely fun. I've been trying to get it to the table as often as I can lately.

3. Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror - I'm putting both of these down in the same spot. I've got everything for both of them so far, but I think I prefer Arkham a bit more. Love the theme, love the feel, love the game. Setup and takedown can take some time, but once you get used to it, you can cut the time down a lot. It's remained one of my favorites. It's one of the games that I can even enjoy playing solo.

2. Battlestar Galactica - This is one of my group's go to games. I love the hidden agenda/betrayal mechanic, and this game is one of the best for it. We've been playing it for years, and still love bringing it out.

1. Twilight Struggle - There is a reason this game was #1 on BGG for so long (it still should be in my opinion). It's masterfully designed, and just a blast to play. I always wondered how a two player cold war game could be so highly ranked, but when I finally got the chance to play it, I was blown away. It has quickly risen to one of my favorite games of all time. I'm lucky enough to have some friends who enjoy it as well, so I can get plenty of face to face games. Masterpiece of boardgaming in my opinion.

I'd love to hear what other people's favorites are as well!
>>
1. imperial assault -> very nice dungeon crawler in the star wars universe.
2. catan -> yeah, baby's first boardgame, but i like it, and it works with most of my friends
3. warhammer 40k -> no one to play it with since i don't have money for another army and no one else buys it. i like the lore and collect the minis though
4. game of thrones by FFG -> actually nice, although abit more complicated than most people would like. and kinda too long.
5. quoridor -> the kind of game that lasts less than 4 minutes, for 2 or 4 players, and is super easy to understand.
6...?
nope, only a top 5 since i'm a poorfag.
i did not mention others like activity, dixit or monopoly, because i don't own them / did not play enough to form a proper opinion
>>
Any time someone says they like Twilight Imperium I immediately disregard everything else they say.
>>
>>44540460
It's not a terrible game per se. It's just quite outdated by now.

My top 10 (in no particular order):
10. Race for the Galaxy - amazing depth for a card game
9). Chaos in the Old World - perfect area control game
8). War of the Ring - amazing with fans of the source material
7). Gears of War - the best dungeon crawler.
6). The Castles of Burgundy - fantastic stepping stone between gateway games and something meatier.
5). Marvel: Legendary - the most fun in a deckbuilder.
4). Troyes - an example of how a dice game should be made.
3). 7 Wonders: Duel - there's nothing better when you have .5 hour and just 2 players.
2). Twilight Struggle - the more I play it the more I want to play it.
1). The Resistance - the epitome of hidden traitor game, just enough information to make informed decisions but not enough information to make it a deduction game.
>>
10- Anima: the card game (a hidden gem that no body knows about.)
9- Coup (great casual fun for 2-5 peeps)
8- Betrayal at house on a hill (amazing re-play value worth the money, do recommend)
7- Stone age (solid worker allocation)
6- Terra mystica (over-complicated-that's-why-it's fun kind of game)
5- Ticket to ride: Europe (best ticket to ride map)
4- Smash up (games day favourite)
3- Mini dungeon adventurers (its free)
2- Werewolf (amazing group game, all of my friends love this one)
1- Zombiecide (not season 3, but all the games before it. it is expensive, but its a fun dungeon crawler-esq game that most people can get into)
>>
>>44541169
>Coup
>Terra Mystica
>Smash Up
>Zombicide
Your taste a shit.
>>
I have been playing board/card games for about a month with a group of people I newly met.

So far I haven't played any co-op games, but my favorites are, Splendor and Dominion.

Are there more like these or better?
>>
>>44538517
>Arkham Horror
Been playing this lately, not really a huge fan. It's certainly not the worst game I've played, but I find it pretty frustrating.

Almost every single check has a -1/-2 penalty. Given that your dice pool is generally 4 or maybe 5 when maxed for any given stat, you can't afford to do anything other than min-max your character. Trying to go for a more balanced approach usually means you'll be missing two checks instead of just one.

There's also the annoying issue of keywords often being used arbitrarily. Fight a monster on the board and it's a Combat Check which lets you add any weapon/spell modifiers to your roll. But if you fight something because an encounter card says you do, it'll often call for a straight fight roll. You're suddenly not allowed to use your equipment. This can exacerbate my first problem because now you can't expect equipment to reliably make up for a lowered fight stat.

The game just feels too unforgiving in an annoying sort of way. You might say it's supposed to be, it's Arkham Horror/Cthulu whatever. Except that monster combat is often the easiest challenge you'll face, and the only one you can actually be consistently confident in success, which seems to go completely against the theme of other-worldy abominations.
>>
10. Omega Virus
9. ASL
8. Thunderstone
7. Axis and Allies
6. Agricola
5. INWO (with the one big deck variant and the one with everything box)
4. At the Gates of Loyang
3. Elder Sign
2. Der Speicherstadt
1. Magic Realm

>>44541423
You might want to try Elder Sign. It's like Arkham Horror but without all of the things that make AH bad.
>>
File: Neato.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Neato.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>44540460
Why? It sounds like you are just being a sad little hipster.
>>
>>44541742
>Omega virus
Holy shit I remember that game. I played it all the time as a kid.
>>
File: xwing-repaints.jpg (121 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
xwing-repaints.jpg
121 KB, 900x900
Here is my top ten, what recommendations do you have for me?

#1: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures
#2: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
#3: Runebound (Third Edition)
#4: Battlestar Galactica
#5: Mage Knight Board Game
#6: Chaos in the Old World
#7: They Come Unseen
#8: Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
#9: The Battle at Kemble's Cascade
#10: Shadow of Brimstone
>>
>>44541203
>badwrongfun.jpg
>>
>>44541261
Hanabi is a great card deduction co-op, also cheap, San Juan is a good stepping stone into heavier stuff, it's the card version of Puerto Rico, Star Realms/Ctuhlhu Realms is a great deckbuilder, choose whichever flavor you enjoy better.
>>
>>44538507
10.When Eagles Fight. WW1, Eastern Front game. Hex and Chit, and possibly the best mechanical wargame I've ever played. Game tends to get a bit same-y though after a few plays, when you figure out what to do. But in terms of just fighting a war, it's amazing.

9. Imperium Romanum 2. It's a funny war game, with something like 35 separate scenarios that are all played with a common set of chits; you fight out a number of campaigns that start with Marius vs Sulla, and goes all the way to a hypothetical Belisarius revolt after conquering Italy. While the gameplay is a lot of fun, I have to give it 2 dings: One, because of the way the supply and odds system works, splitting up is rarely worth it, and furthermore, battles usually end with one person being wiped out. It's a game where you maneuver and maneuver and maneuver for hours and turns, and then it's all decided with a single die roll. Secondly, they go for historical accuracy over game balance. Only about 8 of the scenarios are more or less even; and they helpfully mark them for you in the rulebook.

8. Unexploded cow. A money making game, where you buy cheap cows with Mad Cow Disease in Britain and use them to clear minefields in France. I don't think I've ever laughed so much playing another game.

7. Knights of Camelot. This one's weird, it's almost a simple RPG on a board game. Players play knights errant, who wander around Arthurian britain, going on quests, fighting monsters, saving maidens, and amassing "Chivalry points" (XP) and "Virtue Points", (makes you nice) to try to achieve some goal, usually either joining the Round Table or finding the Holy Grail.

6. Brass. Industrial age Lancashire, about building your own little empire. Still learning this one, and it is a bit counterintuitive how you win the game by building shit, even if it's unprofitable, but I've been having a shit ton of fun with it; another game with a lot more complexity and skill involved than is apparent at first.
>>
>>44542135

5. Hornet Leader. Solitaire, and lots of fun. Plan missions, play missions, try not to die from the Migs. Just enough chance in the game that you can make plans that will generally work, but almost always need to put in some slack in your attack plans because something will probably go wrong somewhere.

4. Freedom in the Galaxy, Reuter Variant. It's basically Star Wars: The Game, except it's set in a more Flash-Gordon esque sort of sci-fi. You have the plucky rebels on one side, and the huge empire on the other, and it's a game to see how long the emprie can last before it inevitably collapses, despite seeming so strong in the beginning. It's how 20 exceptional people bring down an empire of millions. And it has this really neat diplomacy and domino effect system, where you can try to get the spark that sends entire sectors into revolt simultaneously.

3. Middle-Earth, the Wiards. A CCG, but other people are listing them. I originally got it because I'm a Tolkien nut and I liked the artwork, but this is an amazing, amazing CCG. In the basic game, you each play a wizard, trying to marshal more of the resources of Middle-Earth to resist Sauron than your rivals. You run around the map doing things like finding lost artifacts, gathering armies, collecting information on what the baddies are doing, and the first to score a pre-set amount calls the White Council and usually wins, unless someone plays the trump of destroying the Ring.

2. World in Flames. Strategic level WW2 game. Captures the war in an immense fashion, and really does a good job of making all the various sub-theaters, like the battle of the Atlantic, the North African camapign, the big brawl on the Eastern Front, etc., all interesting. Biggest con though is that playtime can easily hit 150+ hours for a single game.

1. Chess. Mechanically simple, almost impossible to master, I've spent hours and hours and hours on this game, and the sheer beauty of a well crafted combination still haunts me.
>>
>>44538507
In no particular order:

1. Stone Age
2. Citadels
3. DarkMoon
4. Dead of Winter
5. Gears of War
6. OGRE & OGRE Designer Edition
7. Space 4x (I own 6 or 7 different games in this category - hard to choose one.)
8. Roll for the Galaxy
9. SPI's 'War of the Ring' (massive hex & chit)
10. Heroes of Normandie

Others that almost made the list:

Five Tribes
Specter Ops
Small World
Robinson Crusoe
Cosmic Encounter
Castles of Burgundy
The Hunters - German U-boats at War
>>
>>44542141
>>44542135
Are you kickstarting Nemo's War: Second Edition? If you haven't played it I think you would like it.
>>
>>44542160

Never heard of it, desu. What is it?
>>
>>44542188
Check it out, its a fantastic solo game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/nemos-war-second-edition
>>
>>44541261
>Are there more like these or better?

There are many more like those, and your taste will vary. But check out the Board Game Geek web site and odds are good you'll find more games that suit your tastes. :)

>>44541742
>10. Omega Virus
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

>9. ASL
You sir, are hardcore. I've got ASL, along with a number of other classic Hex & Chit games - SPI's War of the Ring, classic 'Starship Troopers', etc. Sadly it's difficult to find anyone else with the interest or willingness to invest the kind of time to get in good games.

>8. Thunderstone
This irks me that TS / TS Advanced is out of print. I liked this game but haven't been able to acquire it at a reasonable price. Ah well.
>>
>>44542198
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/nemos-war-second-edition

That looks fantastic. Thanks for the link.
>>
File: snug.jpg (48 KB, 506x524) Image search: [Google]
snug.jpg
48 KB, 506x524
>>44542227
>managed to get both TS Advance Towers of Ruin + Numenera sets for around $100 last October
>mfw
>>
>>44542150

Was War of the Ring really that good? I never played it, but I did play both SPI's Gondor and Sauron, and wasn't particularly impressed by either. What, if anything was different with WotR?
>>
5 - betrayal on the house on tge hill
A puzzle game where one random player haunts the others. Contain an enormous ammount of possible scenarios.

4 - space hulk
A turnbased assymetric dungeon crawler loosely based on the alien franchise. Human astronauts fight spacemonsters in an abandoned spaceship.

3 - boss monster
Inverted dungeon crawler where you try to have adventures killed in your dungeon for points

2 - smallworld
Resource management game where fantasy races get sacrificed for fun and profit

1 - stuff and nonsense
Storytelling game set in victorian England where would be adventures pretend to go on epic journeys while secretly hiding in their appartement
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg (810 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg
810 KB, 2048x1536
>>44542404
The one I'm talking about is pic related. It has character cards as well as full armies, event cards, etc. Typically took a while to play the entire game. My neighbors when I was a kid would play it and leave the board set up for weeks as they played a turn or two each weekend when they had time.
>>
>>44538507
In no particular order, and based only in my own collection.

-Carcassonne
especially with aggressive opponents. So cutthroat.

-Neuroshima Hex!
see above.

-Pandemic
playing with newcomers is better, quarterbacking is less of an issue, there's a larger wow factor and it's not "solved"

-CitOW
great with my old Risk-addicted friends, great with my old WHFB friends

-Splendor
the only game my dad will play with me and not bitch all game long about overly complicated rules

-Takenoko
game night at a friend's, his wife and little girl always go "squeeeee so cute!", deep enough despite the theme, I might make some custom objective cards for variety

-Five Tribes
doesn't hit the table as often as I'd like

-Elder Sign
good solo fun if/when friends are too busy

-Power Grid
me, to my friends "yes, I know you didn't fucking like it the first play, just give it a second (or third) chance, I promise you'll have an epiphany and suddenly realize ho great this one is"

-Sheriff of Nottingham
more an activity than a game, big hit with friends and family this holiday season
>>
>>44542517
I feel a siring in my loins just looking at that.

I've been getting more into hex &chit over that last few years, how sold an investment is a pane of pyrex to hold paper boards down?
>>
>>44541747
Played it several times and hated it it. Then I come on here and a bunch of people suck it off. Mystifying, but then things appealing to the lowest taste is nothing new.
>>
>>44542871
The people who love them the most are tripfags, they're afraid of posting any strong opinions about popular games out of the fear they will be laughed at in the future. I stopped reading board game generals on /tg/ because these days they always amount to tripfags circlejerking and regurgitating the same ideas. Not a single original thought.
>>
>>44542516
>space hulk
>alien franchise
>>
>>44542717
Pyrex, glass, whatever. As long as it holds the damn maps down...
>>
>>44538507
Eldritch Horror (better than Arkham Horror)
The Resistance (the rage is real and delicious)
Dead of Winter (zombie apocalypse survivors)
Camelot (traitors and King Arthur)
Marvel: Legendary (w/ GotG expansion)
Betrayal at House on the Hill (classic)
Werewolf (better with more people)
Theophrastus (hidden gem, slightly complicated rules but fun)
Ticket to Ride (America edition's fun)
Fluxx (variants, such as Cthulhu)
>>
>>44542039
I'm not saying you have wrong kind of fun. I'm saying your taste in what is fun is absolutely shit.
>>
>>44542871
>I personally don't like something
>therefore anyone who does like it has awful taste
You're the worst kind of person. It sounds like your opinion can be safely ignored.
>>
>>44541203
>>44543429
I like how you come on here just to tag on what people like workout giving any reason and not actually contributing to the thread at all.

Why are there so many cancerous snobs in threads like these?
>>
>>44543868
I like how I don't give a shit about what you think about me :^)
>>
>>44543886
>I can be cancer and you can't stop me! :^)

Good talk.
>>
>>44538507

10. Pandemic
9. Carcasonne
8. Blood Bowl
7. Resistance: Avalon
6. Betrayal at House on the Hill
5. One Night - Ultimate Werewolf
4. Catan
3. Arkham Horror
2. Ultimate Werewolf
1. Two Rooms & a Boom
>>
>>44541203
People like different things. Swivel on it, punk.
>>
>>44544341
Some things are plain bad. Deal with it, nerd.
>>
>>44544355
No
>>
>>44544371
Ok
>>
>>44543813
>something is objectively bad
>you should say it's good anyways

>>>/out/
>>
>>44542717
You're looking for something that's scratch / shatter resistant and not super heavy. Otherwise you can use almost anything including offerings from your local DIY store. Getting the edges / corners rounded at a glass specialty shop can make any sort of glass (as opposed to plastic) much nicer to use and handle. I've got a glass paint pallet that I had made with the edges and corners rounded and it's fantastic.
>>
>>44544474
> whining like a retard
> not offering any valid criticisms
> muh 'opinion' makes instantly true

Nice try /pol/...
>>
>>44544615
Boy, you sure got triggered over the fact someone doesn't like your games.
>>
>>44544643
And you get triggered by other people having fun. Shaking my head to be honest, family.
>>
>>44544197
>based blood bowl
So pumped about the new edition and minis. My wallet will bleed. On the upside, I'll shed all the fat I gained this Xmas, not being able to purchase foodstuffs.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.