[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if Russia invented power armor like pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 28
What if Russia invented power armor like pic related?
>>
>>43937197
>Lots of exposed moving parts
>Exposed head
>Glowing bits in the center of mass
>Is too big to fit through doors or walk down stairs
>Hands too big to use standard weapons
>Square cubed law limiting both armor and maneuverability

That thing would be worse then a dude with a T-shirt and a Kalashnikov. In fact a dude with a Kalashnikov would tear the shit out of that thing.
>>
What if your waifu orbits my dick?
>>
>>43937197
I'd switch countries.

I want power armor and a mini gun!

My life for Mother Russia.
>>
It would be obliterated by more cost effective counter effective counter measures.
>>
>>43937980
You mean minigun, not mini gun, and that is neither. Judging from the size of the ammo being fed it looks like some kind of anti-material rifle, and judging by the size of the barrel, it looks like an anti-material rifle as drawn by someone who doesn't know what an anti-material rifle looks like, since the barrel looks several times the size of the ammo.
>>
>>43938101
So? Once I become a Comrade in Power Armor I'll get a fucking minigun.

Anti Material Rifles are cool, but I like the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>43938129
And then the exposed servos get clogged with dust within the hour, unless the battery dies first, or someone shoots you in your little exposed head.

Honestly I love mechs and power armor, but that picture is just absolute trash.
>>
>>43938307
Don't care.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
He's not even using a dushka. It looks like a Browning.

Fuck this.
>>
Russia doesn't believe in quality over quantity.
They would think of power armour as wasted resources.

Stalin commissioned research to crossbreed humans and monkeys in an attempt to create supersoldiers and workers.
>>
>>43937197
>YOU SEE IVAN, NOT IS NEEDING HELMET WHEN ARE TO BE WEAR OUR FURRY HATS
>>
File: SovietWalkers.png (2 MB, 1592x2080) Image search: [Google]
SovietWalkers.png
2 MB, 1592x2080
>>43937197
It would be awesome...
>>
>>43937197
then they'd be a bunch of inbred drunken slavs in power armor
>>
>>43938493
The hell? Why did he think that would work? Plz be fake
>>
File: slavSTC.png (29 KB, 963x513) Image search: [Google]
slavSTC.png
29 KB, 963x513
>>43938948
...and it would cost less than ten dollars to make and run on vodka
>>
>what if a country with the economic might of Mexico managed to create hypertech?

I don't know.
>>
File: matryoshka.jpg (154 KB, 1300x861) Image search: [Google]
matryoshka.jpg
154 KB, 1300x861
>>43938973
>yfw they were already making primitive prototypes centuries ago

By now they probably have entire legions of them hidden away in the remotest Siberian wastes.
>>
>>43938948
Is that a motherfucking Killa Kan?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>43937197
Chechenians would continue to use rpg launchers against such good targets.

Some would use the russian-made ones specifically for the irony.

Those things a kid can use, for a hundred thousandth the cost and training time.
>>
>>43939154
Can or barrel-shaped mechas were a thing before WH40K.
>>
>>43938961
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ivanovich_Ivanov
>>
>>43937197
Power armour will never be viable because it would barely increase protection while still being vulnerable to the things that kill most soldiers, i.e. explosions. You'll never get a suit of $10 million armour that can withstand an $50 RPG or even a molotov cocktail. If energy fields were ever viable or invisibility was achieved then those would work but not just thicker metal.
>>
File: 1446517577960.jpg (199 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
1446517577960.jpg
199 KB, 1280x768
>>43939447
There actually is research, and IIRC prototypes, of an EM shield for tanks to protect against RPGs.
>>
>>43937197
>What if Russia invented power armor like pic related?

it would be extremely painful
>>
File: Slavs trying into power armour.jpg (38 KB, 919x231) Image search: [Google]
Slavs trying into power armour.jpg
38 KB, 919x231
>>43937197
it would murder pretty much everyone, operator included.
>>
>>43938101
I believe that is a russian hunting shotgun, and that guy is in standard hunting gear that all stronk russians have
>>
>>43939447
I somewhat disagree. If the DARPA exoskeleton research ever comes to fruition then that would strongly increase the weight a soldier will be able to carry.
If the carry weight is increased without a massive amount of equipment being added to the exoskeleton soldiers kit then we will be looking for things we can add to the exoskeleton to increase soldier survival.
An easy way to do this is have heavier and less penetrable armoring. This would increase survivability while not decreasing comfort, which is a problem we run up to with soldiers and their armor plates today. Often soldiers will remove them, or not wear the armored nappy, or simply 'forget' to put the plates in because they are heavy and hot, despite the fact that they provably save lives.
I do agree that Starship Troopers or Spess Muhren style powered armor is entirely in the realms of fantasy, but I disagree that powered armor will never be viable, because increasing soldiers carry weight is the goal, and the goal will result in soldiers having more armor.
>>
I bet the USA and Japan would be pissed which would cause mech development to skyrocket.
>>
>>43939774
Wasn't one actually called Iron Curtain?
>>
>>43940789
The point is it doesnt matter how much fuckin armor you throw on a single soldier, when he steps on a landmine he's still fucked. Exoskeletons will achieve better protection but never anything that would look like power armor, just more kevlar and ceramic plates.
>>
>>43939774
More big expensive equipment that only has to fuck up once for your tank to go up in flames cuz of a child soldier hiding in rubble.
>>
>>43940282
Holy shit, that's my post! I made that in a Mech CYOA like I don't know how fucking long ago! Man, that makes me so happy to see that I amused someone enough to screenshot something I wrote.
>>
>>43940887
Sure, but there is a hell of a difference between soldiers will be vulnerable to attack no matter what armor you put on them and
>power armor will never be viable
when it's clear that if certain technological advances become available then there will be powered exoskeletons which are armored in the near future.
Enclosed helmets are also more likely with better com-int technology as well, as long as there is exoskeleton technology.
>>
File: Swagbot.gif (1 MB, 235x299) Image search: [Google]
Swagbot.gif
1 MB, 235x299
>>43940789
>cause mech development to skyrocket.
You say that like DARPA isn't already pouring money into developing exoskeletons and humanoid robots.
>>
>>43941228
Quoted the wrong guy there, bud.
>BeeGees.gif
>>
File: Anderson1I1.png (291 KB, 619x576) Image search: [Google]
Anderson1I1.png
291 KB, 619x576
>>43941228
>You knew!?
>>
>>43938101
Anti-materiEl. Not materiAl.
>>
>>43941593
Possibly a difference between British and American spellings.
>>
>>43941666
Materiel and material are two separate but similar words. MateriEl is military hardware, the thing an anti-materiel is designed to neutralise. MateriAl is just the substance that makes up a thing. Calling it an anti-material rifle isn't a difference in dialect It's Colour you filthy savages, it's just incorrect.
>>
>>43937197
Wolfenstein would've been a different game
>>
>>43940789
>we will be looking for things we can add to the exoskeleton to increase soldier survival.
>An easy way to do this is have heavier and less penetrable armoring.
Good reasoning, wrong conclusion. They'll probably just add scanning devices, communication equipement and a fuckton of ammo, with maybe some armoring but probably nothing that can save a soldier from a decently sized bullet.
>>
File: Section-8--4.jpg (231 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Section-8--4.jpg
231 KB, 1440x900
>>43937197
laugh in their commie face because AMERICAN power armor is superior to filthy russian paper weights.

after all, its called the AMERICAN Empire for a reason
>>
File: russia.jpg (258 KB, 808x1030) Image search: [Google]
russia.jpg
258 KB, 808x1030
We Rifts now
>>
>>43937421
>Glowing bits in the center of mass
It's to distract the enemy and get them to shoot at the most heavily armored area rather than the exposed head.
>>
>>43939044
Reporting right from Siberia.
We do.
>>
File: Azrail-HMG2.jpg (68 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
Azrail-HMG2.jpg
68 KB, 900x506
>>43937197
What if Iran invented power armor like pic related?
>>
>>43937197
They would promptly create tens of thousands of them and not maintain them due to a failing military and insufficient resources, leading to suits falling into disrepair or being sold for vodka (no joke). They would maintain about 1/100th of them in actual order, which would be marched around and used in many propaganda pieces, to make it seem as if they are a great military power. Meanwhile, corruption runs rampant.

Soon, the expense causes them to collapse moderately and a new ex-KGB mafia warlord takes over.
>>
>>43941228
i can't watch this gif without hearing "staying alive" in my head.
>>
>>43943192
They'd have an awesome wargame, that's what.
>>
They would have a glorious police force, that is.

But power armour for the military, I don't see the point.
>>
>>43943646
>power armour for the military, I don't see the point.

Apparently it would improve the distance soldiers could walk or run without fatigue, increase the amount of gear they can carry, and enable them to use heavier armor and more powerful weapons. Apparently soldiers also get a lot of injuries from exertion, so reducing that would be really helpful.

There are also civilian uses, like giving disabled people more mobility, and giving emergency responders the strength and endurance to overcome obstacles and rescue people more easily.
>>
>>43943761
>increase the amount of gear they can carry
Crawler drones to that better tho. Same for the weapons.

>armor
If you aren't going to put as much armour on it as you would on an MBT, it's pointless on the battlefield.

If there was a useful power armour, it would look a lot more like a body suit with artificial muscles IMO. I wouldn't spend a fucking euro on a bulky exoskeleton like OP's pic.
>>
>>43940887
That's bad reasoning though. Just because an exoskeleton can't defend against RPGs doesn't mean it's not useful. The vast majority of weapons it'll come up against is small arms fire. Which, if properly built, would be like spitballs to a good suit of power armour. Sure an RPG or mine could still take that soldier out. But when compared to the single bullet it would take to kill an unarmoured soldier, it is incredibly more effective.
>>
>>43943810
>But when compared to the single bullet it would take to kill an unarmoured soldier, it is incredibly more effective.
If you look at the casualties for any modern war, soldiers still die more from IEDs or RPG fire than small arms fire.
>>
>>43943834
That's due to AOE shrapnel than pressure waves our direct application of explosives. Which would still be protected against.
>>
>>43941228
I wonder how many people got fucked up before they put the light on top of the test murderbot
>>
>>43937197
>slower than tank
>carries smaller weapons than tank
>less armored than tank
>"mobility" faggots: its probably less maneuverable than a tank, only smaller

why
>>
>>43943852
See, maybe you're right, but I wouldn't put a cent in an exoskeleton bulky enough to become a liability if the legs decides to shutdown after some gunfire.
>>
>>43943880
> Cheaper than a tank

Well, ideally. But probably not.
>>
>>43938307

> Honestly I love mechs and power armor, but that picture is just absolute trash.

Literally every picture of mechs and power armour are trash
>>
>>43943574

There's a video about that.

Also, I find Big Dog to be terrifying.
>>
>>43943880
> less mobility
They are smaller, can bypass terrain that tanks cannot, can climb buildings for better firing vantages, provide support for infantry in the tightspot and indor fighting also mobile cover, have better turning speed, and can sidestep and take cover to avoid fire.
Sucks on that tankfags.
>>
>>43937197
>Great Mother Slavland
>Crafting machinery that well
>Not welding together ork-level scraptech that utterly baffles any schooled engineer by being surprisingly resilient and easy maintenance despite making very uncomforting noises all the time
>Implying they wouldn't still win whatever war they fielded them

You gotta step up your understanding on glorious Putinasia, OP.
>>
>>43943964
I doubt OP armour could fit in my building's corridors actually.
>>
>>43939447

>Power armor will never be viable
>Personal computers will never be viable, they are too expensive and large for civilian usage
>A global communications network will never be viable, too many security leaks, and there is a cold war going on.
>Automobiles will never be viable, the infrastructure to maintain them is far, far too expensive.
>Airplanes will never be viable, we have ships, and those are less prone to crashing and burning, and can carry more.
>Wind turbines will never be viable, they are too noisy and destroy the lives of humans and animals wherever they are placed.
>>
>>43943964
>bypass terrain tanks cannot
ill give you that theoretically there are a few terrains a mech could walk through and a tank could not drive through, this is perhaps actually the only way I could see a walker style (8 legs probably) combat vehicle having a purpose, but not in any theater of war that will be relative any time soon

>climb buildings
Not ops mech style power armor

(if smaller power armor they are no longer the "LEL SUPPORT LIK IN AN RPG" role you seem to desire and everyone in the unit should be wearing the -man sized/small- power armor

>indoor

not ops mech

and if the power armor is man sized- see above, everyone has it, you dont need something to follow you
>better turning speed

probably not the weapons, but the entire thing sure

>avoid fireby dodging

fucktard.

>mobile cover
Yea its two legs, a tank is a 6x10 moving fucking wall
>>
>>43937421
The best part is the overly long best feeding ammo to the minigun, great for make yourself trip.
>>
Power Armor, by definition, is going to be a key point in a combined arms strategy.

It's not that useful on open terrain, regular armored vehicles are better, in speed and armor if not necessarily firepower, a tank's gun may be larger but 4-6 power armored dudes can throw more down range quicker.

It's not that useful in difficult terrain, Infantry are king there, they can be used but they face much the same problems as normal armor, if to a much lesser extent/

Urban environments? Or established defensive holdings? Defense or Offense, power armor shines in these areas, a tank in an urban environment is a fucking joke, limited in every way unless they have a straight shot through the entire fucking city. Armored "Light" vehicles are hardly better.

Power armor may not be the be-all end all in cities as well, but it has much less problems than tanks, and any of their failings can be supplemented by normal infantry.

But they would probably mostly be used as either pure shock-and-awe type troops, or security.
>>
>>43943871
It's the shoes... Makes it look like a guy in a costume.
>>
>>43943880
Helicopters are slower than jets, but helicopters can dodge anti-aircraft missiles.

Mecha are slower than tanks, but can dodge anti-tank missiles.
>>
>>43944039
>lel mech cannot climb
anon, do you even battletech
>>
>>43944129
>But they would probably mostly be used as either pure shock-and-awe type troops, or security.
This; they'd be as much a propaganda piece and a boast as they would be weapons of war.

>Yeah. our country built this and it actually works, choke on it commie fucks!
>>
>>43943852
Armor is great for stopping shrapnel, and you're right, shrapnel is the big killer in conventional wars (vs IEDs, RPGs, bullets in insurgencies).

The lethal blast zone for weapons w/o shrapnel is maybe 2m for a grenade, or maybe 5m for an ATGM, or 20-30m for an artillery shell.

Basically shrapnel boosts the weapon's effective radius by about 5x.

But smart weapons deliver weapons with accuracy tolerances smaller than the blast-based kill radius - <1m for missiles, <10m for bombs and artillery.

So, in response, many modern weapons remove the shrapnel because it only causes collateral. Or they get the best of both worlds and use sintered casings that turn into microscopic particles for shrapnel, which boosts close-range effects a lot but has no inertia to increase the kill radius.

The point of RL power armor is simple - more armor is good (the Revision suit increases armor coverage from 18% ESAPI to 60% XSAPI) but in a conventional war it's about letting foot soldiers carry more missiles and food without slowing down, so they have enough heavy weapons to do traditional infantry stuff vs souped-up modern tanks with active defenses, scout drones and helicopters, etc.
>>
>>43944196
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcqHaPhkkM

Link related, it's modern (ok, 2013 modern) power armor. More armor (note the frame for helmet support, so the helmet can be armored vs rifles without snapping the neck when hit) and powered leg/spine frame for carrying heavy things.
>>
File: curryra3.jpg (193 KB, 800x874) Image search: [Google]
curryra3.jpg
193 KB, 800x874
>>43937197
Depends. Are they supported by armored, parachuting battle bears?
>>
>>43941734
I'll keep using 'color', thanks.
>>
>>43940789
This. Power armor is literally just a exoskeleton with more armor.
>>
>>43944154
They can't dodge a HEAT shell. Or HEI from an autocannon. Or .50 AP rounds.
>>
>>43942740
Yeah!
>>
File: 1446858039547.jpg (135 KB, 720x490) Image search: [Google]
1446858039547.jpg
135 KB, 720x490
>>43938028
I'd imagine it'd be used as shock infantry to hit hard and push forward, no chance for for defenses to hold against a relentless foe, like what 40K and Fallout use power armour for. A much more frightening enemy when you're one of the soldiers fighting against the enemy's newest weapon.

Though OP's pic looks like he's going to fight like a small tank on an open battlefield, which is a waste when you could use a tank.

>>43940976
it still depends on how much it increases the price compared to how well it works. If it costs 1 million dollars to install onto a 8 million dollar tank and it protects against half of the rockets shot against it then it sounds like a good investment when numbers are taken on an army wide scale.
>>
>>43940282
As a genuine slav I approve. If it was a Russian mech I would add a vodka/moonshine distillery.
>>
>>43937421
>Too big for stairs

SQUAD BROKEN
>>
>>43940846
I think that's only in Red Alert.
>>
>>43943803
>Crawler drones to that better tho. Same for the weapons.

But that is one additional squad member to deal with, and you are royally fucked should it get broken. An exoskeleton squad of soldiers, however, does not change the overall size of the unit (much), and if a guy gets shot he has bigger problems than losing his equipment.

>If you aren't going to put as much armour on it as you would on an MBT, it's pointless on the battlefield.

Not in urban combat, where MBT's do absolutely terrible in a battle (the only reason they're used now is because there is nothing better).

There's no way power armor would replace tanks at all, but they would most definitely have a tactical use.
>>
File: hFQvVUp.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
hFQvVUp.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>43937197
America would counter with giant robots.
>>
File: FO4_X-01_loading_screen.jpg (247 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FO4_X-01_loading_screen.jpg
247 KB, 1920x1080
>>43943943
The PA in Fallout 4 look pretty sweet.
>>
>>43949450

Shut the fuck up, mutie.

I agree, even if the T-60 makes my head hurt at it's design principles, I mean, I get that T-45d is pretty shit, because it was the first mass produced variant and had some serious problems, T-51b is God-king, and X-01 is Creator-God tier, but it's basically the APA from Fallout 2, so that's a given, but T-60? If it's made and designed entirely by the BoS I can forgive it, fall all their general technological level they are still pretty fucking stupid compared to Pre-War engineers and scientists.
>>
>>43948698
>>
>>43949878

For some strange reason, I am experiencing a frothing black rage that, while still significantly less than the same thing applied to Lady Liberty, is still pretty potent.
>>
>>43942655
Such a nice game...
>>
>>43940976
This hilariously stupid conservatism is like how people said Helicopters would not find a battlefield role

>Oh so it has only a 50% time of stopping an RPG that only has a 1/16 chance of hitting something dramatically vital on the tank through it's armor? How useless.
>>
>>43943880
>>43945921
>Armchair /k/ morons think guns somehow bypass the simple laws of reality and are just a rock paper sissors idea.

Let me put this in simple terms for /k/ autists.

Imagine if a dude could carry a Heavy Machinegun like his combat rifle, and he didn't die to a brick to the face.
>>
>>43944039
I am convinced every anti-mech autists is a manlet who thinks 8 foot is godzilla.
>>
>>43950497
Imagine he couldn't walk up stairs, couldn't fit in doorways and couldn't get up if he fell over. Imagine his armor would be less useful than the cover offered to more mobile soldiers with lighter gear.
>>
>>43950538
Assuming you're talking specifically about the OP pick; why wouldn't he be able to walk up stairs or push himself up if he falls over?
Assuming you're talking about armoured exoskeletons/power armour in general: you're a retard on all counts.
>>
It's hard countered by an off the shelf 40mm HEDP grenade - the shaped charge will punch through 3" of armor steel.

Autiste's may say, this doesn't matter - grenades are heavier, harder to hit, more expensive than using bullets, so it's a net advantage. But the same arguments apply against armor as well; while those disadvantages for weapons are removed by the benefits of guidance systems.

Drones > power armor. And at that point, power armor is just a safety measure for the drone-herder commanders - they don't do the jumping and shooting, they stay in cover and let the drones do it.

Actual humans being violent will need camouflage that can beat most sensors, i.e. they need to blend with civilians, and use biotech enhancements or old-fashioned spy tradecraft for their gray ops.
>>
>>43948217
>Not in urban combat, where MBT's do absolutely terrible in a battle

/k/ here, tanks are a staple of urban combat. They only "suck" by comparison to rural combat, because cities nerf them from god mode to merely great.
>>
>>43943192

Wheres the bomb vest?
>>
>>43943192
The Iranians would sell it to China, who would in turn sell it to Russia, who would in turn use it to invade Iran.

The circle is complete.
>>
>>43938389
>BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>43953454

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA
>>
>>43937197
>What if Russia invented power armor like pic related?

new weapons race?
>>
>>43943192
dat ass tho
>>
File: Road Blockade - Jakub Rozalski.jpg (561 KB, 1920x1053) Image search: [Google]
Road Blockade - Jakub Rozalski.jpg
561 KB, 1920x1053
>>
File: WW1 Bot.png (862 KB, 764x1080) Image search: [Google]
WW1 Bot.png
862 KB, 764x1080
Slightly off topic, but; how interesting or fun would you imagine an 'operator' class-type being in comparison to the standard fare in a futuristic sci-fi setting?
The players will most likely form a PMC fireteam alongside a handful of other NPC teams, and I want a decent portion of the PMC's land presence to be semi-autonomous humanoid robots Star Wars' B1s and B2s look cool damnit with a sapient controller on the ground being able to issue orders on the fly. Without delving into the exact mechanics, would this seem like an unfair distribution of power to the operator PC?
Similarly, would a PC in a big mech-style exoskeleton also present an unfair distribution of power compared to the more standard soldiers who'd only be equipped with more passive systems?
>>
File: 1445857580209.jpg (9 KB, 200x261) Image search: [Google]
1445857580209.jpg
9 KB, 200x261
>>43941734
...and some people say you don't learn anything on 4chins
>>
>>43959740
That comment tickles my obsession with a proto-game conceptual idea that floated around here years back. "Dyad" (set or group of two parts) a game where the brains of dead criminals (for given values of criminals) are bleached and washed before being crammed into dangerous powered combat machines somewhere in the same neighborhood as the Cain robot in Robocop2.

These deathbots with scorched brains are owned and operated by shady PMCs or deniable government / corporate assets, paired with a commander/counselor/guardian/warden who keeps them on target and carries a killswitch to drop them if collateral damage is getting out of hand. In theory the Keeper is there to tell them when to destroy things and when to stop, in practice they are also the ones who are stuck buying an icecream cone for the nine-foot deathmachine to smash against the front of the blood-soaked armored pod below its camera mounts because otherwise it will have a goddamn temper tantrum in the middle of downtown.

No one could figure out how to make it work. This was somewhere around that whole.. mental ocean.. thing. With The Deeps and The Shallows and all that.

I guess what I mean to say is.. maybe.
>>
File: 382px-Urbanmech.jpg.png (88 KB, 382x559) Image search: [Google]
382px-Urbanmech.jpg.png
88 KB, 382x559
>>43939154
>Urbanmech, ca. 1985

GW copies shit
>>
>>43941734
As the person you are correcting, I appreciate the correction.
>>
>>43940846
Heard of that too! It was discontinued..or so they say
>>
>>43942655
United Space of America, fuck yeah
>>
>>43953752
pewpew
>>
>>43937197
Whichever soldier with LAW, SMAW, SRAW, Stinger, AT4 or grenade launcher will laugh their ass off before blowing it to pieces. Thats assuming the asshole with the .50 demonstrates why it's a bad idea to stand out in a firefight.
>>
>>43937197
Then it would function fantastically in the bizzaro world version of Russia where there's only an inch of snow on the ground. Russian winter is a massive cunt when it comes to operating and maintaining machinery. Treads are great, walker legs, less so.

Also, come spring, that heavy piece of shit is going to sink below the mud and stay there. Regardless, even if the enemy isn't using HEAT rounds, the concussion from getting hit by a shell is going to liquefy the weak meat sack inside.
>>
>>43939447
>hey look at me I know all there is to be about future materials and future tech
No one who ever said that was right, at least not fully.
>>
>>43942906
Yeah that'll work for like one engagement, at which point they'll spread the word "aim a couple feet up from the glowy bit"
>>
Not a single "in Soviet Russia" joke to be found in this thread. Isn't it obvious the power armor wears you?
>>
>>43959740
Depends on the setting. In a world of smart weapons where any direct hit is a one-shot-kill, power armor isn't that helpful. It's just the future version of modern body armor, not a god button.
>>
>>43938101
Not to mention that they apparently don't know how to draw a feed belt.
>>
>>43938961
it was his fetish
>>
File: Tesla_trooper_RA3.jpg (94 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Tesla_trooper_RA3.jpg
94 KB, 1024x683
LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE
>>
>>43952919
>Drones > power armor.

Drones are for tackling people who don't have radar or non-shitty AA systems, not for wars.
>>
>>43939774
>>43939447
Brits are developing armour systems which destroy the warhead of a missile before it hits. Russia and USA are interested more in composite armours. I can't remember what China is investing in.

USA and Brits will trade. Or, at least, USA will steal from the Brits, again, just like we did with the jet engine and penicillin.
>>
>>43946120
Brits added tea making facilities into all of their tanks. So why not!
>>
>>43942740
I really wish the campaign I'd been running hadn't gone to crap. Real shame the group had to fall apart in such a way.
>>
>>43941734
No. They're fries not chips, chips not crisps, aluminum, rape not forced-peepe-friction-happy-fun-time, soccer, football, freedom. Get it right you inbred behind the times hick. keep the accent though its your saving grace
>>
>>43962377
Rude. I'm writing a strongly worded letter to the American Embassy over this matter. Good day, sir.
>>
>>43944154
Unless it can dodge sideways quick enough to snap its users neck and ribcage it won't dodge an ATM. Most that are "slow" (takes over 3 seconds to cover a half mile) are guided and will adjust to it slow ass movement or the dumbfired ones are "quick" (will cover that halfmile before you can blink) else they'd be useless.
>>
>>43962415
I'll write back a letter composed of 95% expletives in ebonics telling you ebonics is now a legal subset of English.
>>
>>43962436
I'll then pour some port and shoot myself in the head with a flintlock pistol, while God Save The Queen plays in the background.
>>
>>43962444
I'll leave a wonderbread and kraft cheese sandwich on your grave to show solidarity.
>>
>>43937197
Walking drones with high high resolution cameras controlled by remote users would solve a lot of problems with this guy. The time the tech exists to create this, the tech will exist to make it unmanned.

Then wars will be two sides of operators trying to breach the other operators room and massacre the vulnerable operators inside.

They would have to be smaller than this though and could have any number of more interesting shapes - like a man sized caterpillar or something with guns for it's face.

Your hidden soldier who pops out and kills a unmanned death bot and then gets killed is going to be much less likely knowing they're only going to cost the other side money.
>>
>>43962471
Costing the other side money has been how sovereign nations have prevented, fought, and won or lost wars for the last 40 years. Killing people is strictly the realm of asymmetrical warfare now, and will only further be marginalized towards the poor of the world.
>>
>>43962594
Well russia has shit tier for money. To the point they've even turned back to propaganda for their own citizens. Again. Worst part is they know they can't pull the Propaganda Store shit this time around cause internet exists and they already know stores stocked to the brim 20 layers deep is just average living for us. They'd have more defectors than soldiers and we could make more bots than soldiers. Even unmanned non-remote controlled ones given enough programming.
>>
>>43949450
>exposed joints and tubing everywhere
That's not good, that's just you being a fanboy for one thing and not holding it to the same standards.
>>
>>43962377
>No.
You do realize Americans use both material and materiel, right?
>>
>>43962471

The existence of drones essentially turns warfare into "who has better SIGINT" because then it's a matter of just tracking down drone signals faster than your drone signals get tracked.
>>
>>43962676
>>43962471
in b4 someone tesla-izes the atmosphere around the combat zones so all air-transmitted frequencies are jammed with noise and power.
inb4 you require a human operator to make any of the machines go or a sophisticated and heavily shielded AI
inb4 people accuse me of making this up
>>
>>43949865
I'm not sure I see what you see in the design of the T60 that makes it crap.

>>43962639
I don't think you really get how big the powered armor in Fallout 4 is. Those aren't just rubber hoses slapped on the outside of the armor, nor are the joints really all that exposed all things told. They've got more armor than most normal suits do.
>>
>>43962645
I was talking about the CORRECT spelling of color.
>>
>>43962702
>the hoses are armored! Even though it looks like much of the suit is made of some type of rubber! it's fine!
So the joints in the other thing are armored. It's fine.

Looks damn exposed to me, though.
>>
>>43962702

God I hate the way power armour is handled in that game. Mainly because my preferred playstyle is AGI/PER sneaky snipe-man so having the game really early on go "fuck you, here's power armour and a minigun" was just annoying.
>>
>>43962713
Apparently the rubber is just dirt protection for the mechanical bits.
>>
>>43962722
that sort of implies that the mechanical bits under there don't have continuous armoring.
And there are many joints without the rubberization, meaning dust is still getting in.

Or we could make the concession that realistic power armor would be incredibly boring looking, and enjoy our fallout and shit.
>>
>>43962713
That's because A) you're an idiot, B) you don't know the scaling, and C) you say that like it's not uncommon for body armor to have exposed parts. It's still way more coverage than anything except honest-to-god full plate armor (which I'll remind you didn't always cover the back of the legs) and even the thin parts are rated higher than normal armors are.

>>43962718
And then you probably fucked off out of the armor once that scene was done, didn't you?
>>
>>43962739
anon, I am using the same arguments he used on the previous power armor.
I'm sorry that you dislike it when I shine a candle on hypocrites.
>>
>>43962693
If it were that easy, it would be done against the flying drones in use now.

Signal jamming *all* frequencies for miles? Not so simple.
>>
>>43962751
It's as simple as a tesla tower, anon.

Then you have to get a manned vehicle to go blow it up.

It's not practical right now because there are enough manned troops on the ground to prevent such tactics, but if it was all or mostly drones like is suggested, suddenly it would be a huge dick-over move to any mostly drone force.
>>
>>43962739

I did but I just got to the point where the game is now going "put the armour on again to do this main quest mission, all these faction missions etc"
>>
>>43962751
it is significantly easier to jam all frequencies than to make a useful jammer that jams only some, yes.
it's just it isn't really useful because your frequencies are jammed then.
>>
>>43962765
To be fair, those fights are not exactly something a sniper can end in something like a short period of time. Fallout's never done sniping amazingly well, due to the lack of cover and the limited draw distance.
>>
>>43962776
fallout actually has done sniping incredibly well in the non-bethesda-engine games.
It's just, you know, bethesda.
>>
>>43962780
Even New Vegas had a shitty draw distance. Yeah, there was some good rifles, and they were effective against some things, but there's a lot of places in New Vegas, where sniping was downright impossible.
>>
>>43962786
that... is still a bethesda engine game anon.
They didn't make an entirely new engine for new vegas, it's the same one as fallout 3.
>>
>>43962750
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.
>>
>>43962737
Well if you check the new one all the rubbered bits on the skeleton cover the joints. Perhaps its some sort of flexible metal bit with lots of tiny solid joints for movement. The rubber keeps dirt out of their also several paint schemes see the tubes metallized.
>>
>>43962756
If you're relying on some broadcasting tower to save you from the drone army, it appears you have a pretty big weakness in your defense.
>>
>>43962791
Tell that to Bethesda.
>>
>>43962794
I'm pointing out that the armor he likes has exposed bullshit all over just like he was pointing out on the other one.

He proceeded to get really upset, I guess, as per
>>43962739
where suddenly it is fine now to have exposed parts, a thing that he was bitching about just earlier.
>>
>>43962796
that... is literally the story of ALL WAR anon.
Everything is a counter to something else with its own weaknesses.
that's how it WORKS.
>>
>>43962803
Are you under the impression that >>43962739
is also >>43949450
? Because they aren't.
>>
>>43962795
anon, we could argue all day about this because you particularly like fallout armor, but it will be the same arguments literally anyone uses to defend literally any unrealistic power armor.

I mean the thing has dumb space marine bullet-directing-to-your-head shoulder pads. I can't believe someone is actually arguing in good faith for those, let alone the rest of the thing.

I mean, it's going to be working in hazardous environments, and it has exposed oxygen tanks right there.

Point being, you can nitpick pretty much any fictional weapon design if you want.
>>
>>43962819
I'm under that impression, because otherwise he wouldn't be getting into this since his point is kind of self defeating, since any argument he levies against my own nitpicks backs my argument of nitpicking these things being dumb.
>>
>>43962693
I would be willing to sacrifice the internet if we could global this shit.
>>
>>43962838
I wouldn't, even though I am the one who pointed out how to do it.
I am only willing to accept that after HARD land lines are put down.
>>
File: afdadfhbafdhbarthba.png (12 KB, 1029x505) Image search: [Google]
afdadfhbafdhbarthba.png
12 KB, 1029x505
>>43962825
You mean any weapon design. where's that picture of the Hoplite where people are bitching about how unrealistic it is.

>>43962831
Well, you're quite wrong.
>>
>>43962811
Fair enough. I suppose the main point to be taken is that in future warfare some sort of personal portable area signal scrambler might be used.
>>
>>43962853
yeah, pretty much actually.
You can bitch about LITERALLY EVERY WEAPON DESIGN. It is super dumb to armchair general nitpick these things.
>>
>>43962861
basically.
If ever you see your foe doing that "all drones, hide your operators in a bunker" thing, that is when you bring out the jammers and just FUCK over the enemy in the nastiest way you can think of for forgetting about combined arms.
>>
>>43943880
You can't fit a tank into a building you don't want leveled so it can kill all the chechens inside and leave enough of the building intact to be used later.
>>
File: 3151897012_fe42205845_b.jpg (916 KB, 914x1024) Image search: [Google]
3151897012_fe42205845_b.jpg
916 KB, 914x1024
>>43960333
>BT ca. 1985
>Dougram ca. 1981

This is besides how GW's first eggs with legs actually have arms and don't look like polygons. I mean, what you say is true, but eh.
>>
>>43943880
because it is infantry and not cavalry.
>>
>>43962825
You might be mistaking me for the other guy. personally dislike the actual plate designs myself. I was merely arguing the actual skeleton seems fine for the most part especially with the modular design for plates. If you find flaws with the first plate set why not just redesign a new one and slap it on the skeleton we already know works?
>>
>>43962896
look, anon, I am of the opinion we should always mentally adjust things we see for sensemake if we are actually thinking "is it realistic?" because otherwise it's pointless and horrible.

so I assume the fallout armor will have all those little flaws smoothed out or accounted for in some way, or they weren't as bad as it seems.

Likewise, russian guy in the OP would also most likely have things like a helmet and exterior plating, and pointing out that these things are missing is more about not understanding artistic direction than anything else.
>>
>>43962751
Currently drones are only being used in wars against heathen barbarians who don't have drone technology of their own.

If war breaks out tomorrow between France and Luxembourg we'd have jamming battles by the end of the week.
>>
>>43962139
For now.
>>
>>43938101
It's a muzzle break you tard, there's even a lone on the barrel where we see its screwed on. Also those look like grenades not .50 or 20mm. Pretty much a man portabl mark 19.
>>
>>43953752
Oy gitz, it needz moar dakka.
Bring moar shootaz
>>
>>43949865
T60 is pre-war, which is fucking stupid, seeing as T51 was the ultimate pre-war power armour, and was the whole reason America was wining the war, which lead to the Chinese using nukes as a last resort. But noo, Bethesda wanted their armour to be the the best pre-war armour.
>>
File: 1419210159371.jpg (204 KB, 970x605) Image search: [Google]
1419210159371.jpg
204 KB, 970x605
>>43945156
Never played Red Alert 3, but Red Alert 2 has a disproportionate amount of my favorite units from strategy games. What REAL Russian Power Armor would be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRFcCNrn4o

>>43941734
I bet you think it's spelled "Sabre" as well. Admit it, some Englishman with dyslexia misspelled it once and couldn't admit he was wrong.
>>
>>43937961
Underrated post. Answer the fucking question.
>>
>>43940789
>>43943988
>>43961639
But it won't, a standard RPG can even crack the weak points of a modern battle tank, no person could ever be so armoured and if there was some super material then there will be similar advances in destroying it. You would have to have literal Iron Man tier armour and you might as well wish for an enchanted cuirass and a set of wings. And what would be the point? It would serve no purpose at all, the viability of infantry has always been, will always be in their manouverability and adaptability, advances in concealment will always trump protection and the point of exoskeletons will be to increase speed, stamina and reduce fatigue. Modern armour already stops common rounds.
>>
>>43943988
You're talking fucking nonsense you retard, I assume they haven't covered false equivalency at your elementary school. No one ever said any of those things. The internet was created BECAUSE of the Cold War so that communication could survive. Cars were adopted enthusiastically by everyone as soon as they became able to afford them and every effort was made to get them everywhere. It was always believed that personal computers would become widespread as soon as they were miniaturised, there's a fucking algorithm for it. Nothing ever progressed as quickly as the aeroplane because it was immediately seen as vital to the future. Wind turbines ARE shit, for them to be viable they have to operate at a theoretical threshold which no wind turbine is ever able to achieve outside of a wind tunnel.

YOU
UTTER
FUCKING
DUNCE
>>
>>43938948
I don't know what it is about HFY, but it always brings tears to my eyes.

Fucking saved. Thank you Anon.
>>
>>43970731
>RPG can crack a tank
what?
No they can't.
The modern tank is so indestructable that they couldn't even kill a tank with heavy artillery and tank guns when one was disabled and they didn't want it to get into enemy hands.
They had to DISMANTLE the thing.

RPGs only work on tanks in video games.
>>
>>43970887
they literally said every one of those things, anon.
Your core argument is based on falsehood.
>>
>>43971468
>The modern tank is so indestructable that they couldn't even kill a tank with heavy artillery and tank guns when one was disabled and they didn't want it to get into enemy hands.
>They had to DISMANTLE the thing.
Going to need a source on that. Sounds fucking hilarious.
>>
>>43971549
there is a minor problem with that.
my google searches I used to use to find the source now only pull up dozens of call of duty videos.
so I'm going to look for like five minutes for the news article, then I am going to give up to the sea of yolo 420 airhorns.
>>
>>43971796
>>43971549
I can't find the specific article, so instead have the records of the abrams history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_M1_Abrams

Notice how RPGs and shit never do anything to the tank on their own, and need to be followed up with two to three ACTUAL TANK SHELLS to do any damage.
Double notice how shaped charges applied directly to the weak points resulted in minimal damage to armor.
>>
>>43937197
They would still get blow the fuck out be American drones. EAGLE SHAPED DRONES
>Nobody suspects the eagle until it's already too late.
>>
>>43962765
In fallout 4, I also do sneaky sniper shit.
But I put effort into fusion cores, and armorer, and SCIENCE
So for a good while I did sneaky shit in a suit that made me invisible when I held still.
Now I do sniper shit from rooftops I jetpack onto.
Also invested in crits, for those garunteeed hits?
Got a lucky 10 mil, bank the crits, and life is great.
Your disgust with power armor due to sneaky shit enrages my autisms
>>
>>43937197
At what point does it cease being power armour and become a Mech?

It's to large to fit he arms into the suit's arms, his legs would finish in the thing's pelvis.

Something like the Landmate Mechs in Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell, where the main arms are remote manipulators of the pilots arms, seem to be the line between PA and Mech as is. What you have there OP doesn't seem any more PA then a car.
>>
>>43941228
>Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
>I'm a woman's man
>no time to talk
>.gif
>>
>>43971490
He just needs to be right about this one thing in his life.

Just once...

please?
>>
>>43944039
> 6x10 moving fucking wall
and it's so easy to grease with man-portable cheap AT

whoop-dee-doo
>>
File: Afromech.jpg (82 KB, 1150x695) Image search: [Google]
Afromech.jpg
82 KB, 1150x695
What if Rwanda invented power armor?
Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.