[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rpg with interesting/unique social conflict mechanics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1437363790819.jpg (53 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
1437363790819.jpg
53 KB, 446x600
Rpg with interesting/unique social conflict mechanics?
>>
First off... I don't understand your image OP. Is that... Prussian? Crushing a horse under their combined weight? And was she just standing around nude for him to abduct?

Second, GURPS has a book on social conflict, but it isn't that great. I know a really badass homebrew system for White Wolf though.

http://www.darkmontreal.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13
>>
Exalted 3e has a neat enough one. Everyone is socially built around Minor, Major, and Definining Intimacy especially to represent their principles and the people, places, and objects they care about, and you can only convince people of things (without using bribery or intimidation) of things by utilizing a powerful enough intimacy of theirs. Thus, social combat becomes a game both of discovering what a man cares about to base your argument on, and instilling him with intimacies that you want him to possess. The stronger the intimacy, the greater the thing you can convince him of, but he can use his other intimacies to defend. And since you can't reuse an intimacy to defend when it's already been defeated by an argument, you can whittle people down by smacking down whatever ideas would oppose what you want them to believe.
>>
Dungeon World
>>
>>43834137
Intimacies, not intimacy especially. Damn autocorrect.
>>
>>43834157

Fuck you, and all the other shitposters who "ironically" suggest games they don't actually like. You're not funny, you're a worthless asshole who drags the board down with your bullshit.

>>43833896

Check out Burning Wheel's "Duel of Wits." It's a detailed and pretty fun social combat system. Both duellists get a "body of argument" that serves a bit like HP, and then begin verbal maneuvering, trying to score points, deflect attention, and so forth in order to whittle down their opponent and defend themselves. In the end, you compare how badly it's gone for each of them to determine if there's a victor, or if there's a compromise, and what each side has to concede, if anything.

Hillfolk has solid mechanics for drama and social interaction, but it's less like a battle than Burning Wheel's setup, and more a system to drive the creation of dramatic scenes. A plus though is that it can be bolted on top of other systems; it's actually recommended because Hillfolk doesn't really have like a combat system or anything.
>>
>>43834559
Except Dungeon World is actually good.
>>
>>43834586

Yes, it is, but it really has no social conflict mechanics, because that's not what the game is about.
The closest it has is "Aid or Interfere."
>>
>>43834613
I didn't post it but the mechanic he might've been thinking about was bonds maybe or parley.
>>
>>43834632

While you could call those social mechanics, neither one is a social conflict mechanic. Bonds are a neat way to express the connection between your characters, but that's not remotely what OP is asking for. And Parley is both not what he asked for, and not a terribly interesting or unique mechanic.

So no, he wasn't trying to help OP, he was memeing hard like the dorks who recommend FATAL in all the threads because they think it's hilarious. And those guys suck.
>>
>>43834559
Duel of Wits is actually the reason why I posted. I really liked it at start cuz it provides nice framework for people who are less creative and/or shy but after few duels at least to me whole system seemed way too random and unbalanced. Still it was quite refreshing and going back to roll persuade/diplomacy/whatever seems silly now so I'm trying to find something better. Sadly tactical approach to argument (supported by mechanics) seems almost nonexistent.
>>
>>43833896
I like the way they do it in nWoD.
Your target has a number of "doors" you have to open, based on his mental stats and possibly a couple of other factors.
The impression you make on the target determines how often you can try to open a door. (If he likes you you can do it in a matter of hours, if not it takes days). To open a door you either make an appropriate skill roll or you offer something (bribes etc).Or you can force things, getting the results earlier but leaving a long-lasting bad impression.
When you have opened all the doors, the target either complies to what you want, or takes a condition to represent the influence you have won.
>>
>>43833934
It's the cover of a Flashman novel. Imagine Ciaphas Cain if he was a fat, fortyish Englishman who actually *was* as big a coward as he always claims, but still keeps getting into all these bizarre adventures and military escapades. Mostly stemming from his habit of thinking with his dick.
Basically, expecting the cover-art to make sense is like expecting depth or good sense from a Pauly Shore movie.
>>
>>43834586

Dungeon World is utter ass crap, literally any other OSR game is better, and Dungeon world's shitty lack of character customization s enough to put it in the toilet by itself
>>
>>43833934
Spotted the autist.
>>
>>43839678

The minimal customisation is the point. Just don't play it if it doesn't interest you.

Do you run around shitting on L5R games because it doesn't have system for spaceship depressurisation?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (526 KB, 1349x2576) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
526 KB, 1349x2576
>>43839678
Oh, Virt, I knew you loved us too much to stay away. That tear-filled blogging about how you were done with 4chan was just you getting caught up in the heat of the moment.
>>
>>43839786
>enter the autist.jpg
>>
File: Barrel-Racing-169367[1].jpg (33 KB, 449x434) Image search: [Google]
Barrel-Racing-169367[1].jpg
33 KB, 449x434
>>43833934
That's the uniform of victorian British Lancers, not a Prussian regiment although their uniform is based off of the Uhlan's
The horse is turnuing not falling.
Maybe, maybe she was about to get raped and he's rescuing her, maybe they were caught in the middle of fornication and are eloping quickly with his crotch still unbuttoned, it's hard to tell from the picture alone if she is being abducted she doesn't seem too unhappy about it.
>>
>>43839786
hehe I wonder if he saw last nights thread about him

>>43816020
>>
>>43840206

I can't believe I missed this thread. It's incredibly hilarious. (Well, from a safe distance, at least.)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.