[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
modern-magical fantasy setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 13
File: chillin' soldiers.jpg (120 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
chillin' soldiers.jpg
120 KB, 500x329
Lets discuss settings that has modernized industrial nations with fantasy lands in the same world.
(insert Shadowrun and GATE jokes here)

>be me/us, leader(s) of elf or other fantasy lands
>we're getting invaded and pummeled by "evil" forces like those dark/drow elves, barbaric orcs, evil wizards, goblin hordes, and other evil shit
>suddenly these humans arrive, these humans are from the further Western Lands and they all look slightly different, they speak the same tongue as the humans of our continent but the most notable and different thing about them is their technology, especially their weapons
>their soldiers, warriors, knights and commanders wear uniforms that match the environment and they seem to wear little to no armor save for those helmets, "body armor vests" and masks of theirs, and they wield no sword nor shield but they wield these ranged projectile weapons of theirs called "guns" that are loud and do massive damage against metal aswell, though they're soldiers do wield knives and daggers
>and they ride mechanized carriages with no horses and have flying machines that reach speeds far than we can imagine, they also have these mechanized carriages that are fully dedicated for war they call "tanks" and shoot explosive projectiles even further
>the humans of from the Western Lands meet up with us and offer to help us and bring peace and form and alliance with us, as the forces of evil tried invading their lands as well but were able to repel the invaders
>we accept their help and alliance because we need that much help, and within a few weeks we gain ground and victories
>their flying war machines dealt a great blow against the enemies by "bombing" supply lines and important locations and the tanks of the humans of the west decimated the orcish siege machines
>after assessing the current situation, we may win in defending our lands thanks to these humans.
>I think we made a good choice in this one, any further wisdom?
>>
File: 1464116506409.jpg (31 KB, 300x363) Image search: [Google]
1464116506409.jpg
31 KB, 300x363
>>47434847
>mention of humans and elves having to work together
>>
File: infantry man.jpg (146 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
infantry man.jpg
146 KB, 500x750
Well I guess such a setting of modern humans doing military incursions in the fantasy lands should bring some scenes like this:

>modernistan and tacticool marines visit a fantasy tavern
>chatter from patron stops and music played by the bards stop until someone speaks up

"Well look at that! Its the Men of The Western Continent(s)! The people who helped us all fend off the forces of evil, HUZZAH!"

>the patrons cheer and the bards continue playing cheerful songs, then the start singing songs praising the Men of the West, specifically the marines
>the tavern owner calls to the marines

"Oi! We all 'eard one of ya recent missions, y'all stopped that Orc invasion on some farmlands with just two dozen men and those war machines of those?"
>one of the marines reply
"Yeah we did. Specifically there were about 24 of us marines back with artillery and armored support."
"Don't forget air support from an AH-6C. Miniguns and missile and rocket launcher tore through those savage green skinned fucks like toilet paper."

>That garnered a few laughs and cheers from some bar patrons who were knights and warriors themselves
>the bartender spoke again

"Ayy, since ya Western Men did so much for our lands. Drinks are on dah house for you foine gentlemen! Tell yer other boys they welcome to feast in 'ere! Ya earned it."

>one of the marines spoke to the other
"Damn man you hear that? On the house.'
"I know man. Real fucking food and not our crappy-ass MRE's. What you say sarge?"
"Sure lets eat, what ya having men? Hey where's Private Duncan?"

>one of the marines smirked and heartedly pointed at where the private was, being towed to a seat and being hit on by a tavern wench.
>>
File: kh.png (42 KB, 229x104) Image search: [Google]
kh.png
42 KB, 229x104
>>47435198
>Real fucking food and not our crappy-ass MRE's. What you say sarge?
>What you say sarge?
>say sarge
>sarge
>>
File: Marine Corps.jpg (70 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Marine Corps.jpg
70 KB, 800x800
>>47435323
OOooooooh shiiiit.
>>
File: 1463720589659.png (294 KB, 672x620) Image search: [Google]
1463720589659.png
294 KB, 672x620
Well since its that type of discussion again, better bring this up again too.

>Standard Infantry: "I can't believe this. The Spec-Ops guys and the Marines get to be with those elves in the elf lands, but we regular 'ol infantry divisions have to be in Happy Fun Candy Land. 'Go to Happy Fun Candy Time Land, high command and the elf allies said it'll be simple, kill uncivilized goblins and wretches, make friends with the faeries and pixies.' Making friends with the faeries my ASS. We're stuck with these fairy-pixie chatter boxes while the marines and special forces boys get to have hot elf action. UGH! The inhabitants of 'Happy Fun Candy Land' are pretty much vapid kid's show cartoon characters, this sucks!"
>>
>>47435323
>>
>it's weekend and we decided to spend it in the wild
>we took the helicopter to one of the wild isles
>it was time for some pest control anyway
>the helicopter landed in a confined area
>electric fences, armed guards, all for patrolling the shores and making sure that those things don't make it to the main land
>we get our hunting rifles and some instructions we already heard a million times
>and finally set out
>fortunately it didn't take us long to find those ape-like creatures
>keen eyes tracking their movements
>pointed ears feeling every change of the wind direction
>they fall like hit by lightning, the remaing ape-men waving their spears at the sky, if not running
>"Not this one", said Aneil. "It's one of their females."
>"Pffft, are you serious? Look at this thing!"
>"Yeah. They can vary greatly in size in proportions. Not like our girls of pure elfish blood."
>"I think we should finish this", I said. "That sight makes me a bit ill."
>>
File: vomit.jpg (215 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
vomit.jpg
215 KB, 960x540
>>47434847
>Lets discuss settings that has modernized industrial nations with fantasy lands in the same world.
Let's fucking not.
>>
File: 10.jpg (69 KB, 579x960) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
69 KB, 579x960
>>47434847
You forgot RIFTS!

>hahaha, ah you thought you could forget rifts
>>
File: 1460560270788.jpg (170 KB, 640x1444) Image search: [Google]
1460560270788.jpg
170 KB, 640x1444
>>47435681
>"Psst, hey guys! I just got a word from HQ. Yeah I know, why the hell is HQ calling us on weekend break? Well Captains Ralosalor and Norcaryn says the Research and Development Institute and Medic-Tek wants some of those female Ape-Men captured alive for research... So yeah don't kill that female just yet and lets find other female specimens to take in. Oh and yeah I know I'm wearing the 'Classical Hunter' attire, my hunting clothes got messed up by one of the guards back at base."
>>
File: OrcsWontKnowWhatHitThem.jpg (287 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
OrcsWontKnowWhatHitThem.jpg
287 KB, 1191x670
>>47434847
I've played in a couple games that tired it. Only one pulled it off well. The others turned into mealy-mouthed philosophical bullshit, complete weeaboo faggotry, or the jackass playing a /wizard/ complaining for hours on end about how guns are OP.
>>
File: SEAL_Players_BOII.jpg (37 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SEAL_Players_BOII.jpg
37 KB, 640x360
>>47436139
>the image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWnz0x_pSQ

Holy crap, I recognize those soldiers as the ones from Black Ops 2. Yes I recognize those as call of duty soldiers from Black Ops 2, yes I play CoD. So where'd you find that image? And what was used to create that image? GMod? Anyways, I'm gonna save that pic.
>>
File: abrams tank.jpg (42 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
abrams tank.jpg
42 KB, 540x304
>>47434847
>large groups of blackguards and or berserkers who work for the "Forces of Evil" are about to attack a human-elven joint ops encampment and see this tank

>Blackguard Officer: "HA! Look at those weakling high elves and their human companions. Scouts report there're only three dozen inhabitants of that encampment. But we have superior numbers. WE ATTACK NOW!"
>Evil Grunt: "But boss what about that war machine? Its those men from the west and them war machines. Are ya sure we can-"
>Blackguard Officer: "DON'T QUESTION ME WORM! THERE'S MORE OF US! ONE HORSELESS METAL CARRIAGE WON'T SCARE US! The Men from the West, pah! They're cowards with those weapons and machines of theirs, and that 'tank' of theirs is nothing more but a METAL BAWKS they hide in-"
>Evil Grunt: "BOSS! THAT THING SAW US! ITS APPROACHIN-"

>and then the tank shoots its main gun at the forces as men and gibbed out body parts fly around

Blackguard Officer: "DON'T STAND THERE! CHARGE! ONE METAL BAWKS IS NOT GOING TO SCARE US!"

>then the sounds of men screaming and charging into battle is heard from everywhere as they charge into the encampment and also to the tank to overwhelm it
>but then the tank just keeps shooting at the charging warriors with its main cannon and secondary and tertiary machine guns, shooting them all like fish in a barrel
>soon the warriors that were once charging into the encampment are now retreating and the sounds of panic and scared creaming and yelling from the evil soldiers filled the air as they never even reached 200 yards
>the warriors under the blackguard's command begin to retreat and run away

>Blackguard Officer: "YOU COWARDS! COME BACK AND FIGHT! ITS JUST ONE OVER GLORIFIED METAL BAWKS! COME BACK AND FIGHT-"

>a shot from the tank then kills blackguard, blowing him into pieces as the retreating warriors are picked off by humvees that arrive and shoot at the stragglers, some of the vehicles had elf archers shooting at the retreating stragglers
>>
>>47434847
Stop with this annihilated empires bullshit. It just doesn't work well, mixing these to; it's like Cthulutech. Just no.
>>
>>47434847
Also I BET you're that one Anon that about a week ago posted that trash tier story about some military recon encountering elves with god-awful dialogues and baby brother scar-on-my-facee protagonist. Cut the crap man.
>>
>>47434847
Modern meets fantasy is becoming a boring ass trope because nobody really takes it beyond "Present day real life humans meet stereotypical fantasy world, culture shock and technology difference based whimsy ensues". I'm not saying I don't like the concept, I'd just rather people at least do an alternate history take on it or ANYTHING holy fuck.
>>
>>47436698
Perhaps it'd be better if the enemy fantasy forces had a well thought out equalizer such as more powerful magics and spy networks and subterfuge. Or perhaps the modernized faction should be more around WW1 and or WW2 levels of military technology as opposed to full out modern day warfare which may seem to OP. Just saying.
>>
>>47434847
I wish GATE had ended up more like fantasy Iraq.
>Launch full fledged invasion of empire, empire collapses within two weeks
>Entire military suffers a whopping 35 casualties, mostly from friendly fire, with a whole two soldiers killed
>Try to maintain peace in the empire while we figure out what the fuck to do
>Random nobles are leading armies in attacking us and ambushing our patrols to try and carve out their own minor kingdoms
>Some surrounding kingdoms are trying to pay tributes to us, others are helping support the insurgents
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.