[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: top10.png (30 KB, 300x283) Image search: [Google]
top10.png
30 KB, 300x283
You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess player in the world top ten.
>>
no one cares nerd
>>
LGTSS
>Anand not even in the top 10

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
I thought Caruana was Italian
>>
>>68008790
Actually, he's at 2770.0, just like Wesley So.
>>
>>68008821
He switched federations around a year ago, and recently won the 2016 US Championship.
>>
>>68008845
God Bless the young man then
>>
>>68008858
He's at 4.5/5 halfway through the Gashimov Memorial, and appears to be in great form.
>>
>3 top 10

GREATEST SPORTING NATION ON EARTH
>>
>>68009879
I'd say Russia, USA and China have the three strongest national teams, in that order.
>>
>>68009929
are they really american?
>>
>>68012142
Caruana was born in Miami, and has a dual American-Italian citizenship: Yes.
Nakamura was born in Osaka, but while his father was Japanese, his mother was American, and he has been living in the United States for the vast majority of his life: Yes.
Wesley So is form the Philippines, and not an American citizen, but used to study in St. Louis and now plays for USA.

The rest of the American national team is less relevant, but Gata Kamsky used to be a world-class player not long ago, as the picture shows.
>>
>>68008014
Bobby Fischer not elite anymore?
>>
File: highest300.png (54 KB, 300x437) Image search: [Google]
highest300.png
54 KB, 300x437
>>68012398
Bobby Fischer is dead, but he was most certainly elite in his day, and I believe that he would be able to hold his own in the elite tournaments of today, should he have been invited by use of a time machine.

The same words apply for Karpov and Kasparov.
>>
NAKAMURA

KING OF STRONG STYLE
>>
>>68012509
>only 17th best
What the fuck he's the only chess player anybody has ever heard of besides the guy he btfo on tv
>>
>>68008014
Your "sport" belongs here
>>>/tg/
>>
>>68012557
Why are you such a faggot?
>>
>>68012544
If you take a look at the dates of their ratings, you will see that he was much earlier than the other players. A rating that close to 2800, more than 40 years ago, is quite remarkable, as the players of today are stronger.
>>
>>68012572
I'm not, it's you for believing this childish game is even a fucking sport.
>>
>>68012615
>unironically being this retarded
>>
>>68012637
Chessfags are on the same level as video game idiots who believe E-Sports are actual sports.
>>
>>68008014
Did Nakamura get a season ending hand injury?
>>
>>68012660
Chess enjoys a reputation and a history beyond what e-sports will ever attain.
>>68012675
No. He just hasn't been playing any rated games this month.
>>
>>68012727
When is the champions hip?
>>
>>68012755
Carlsen will defend his title against Karjakin in New York in November this year.
>>
>>68012755

In november. It will be between reigning world champ and best player in the world Magnus Carlen and up and literally who Sergey Karjakin
>>
>>68012787
>November
Fuck what am I supposed to do until then?
>>
>>68012544
>>68012607

rating inflation desu

in reality he's a top 10 player all time, though where you place him is debatable.
>>
>>68012857
He's #1 in my heart
>>
>>68012797
Karjakin is hardly a "literally who". He's the only player who ever became a GM before he turned thirteen, and he won the Candidates quite convincingly. The winner of the Candidates will obviously be a deserving challenger, even though I would personally rather have seen Caruana or Aronian win it.
>>68012802
There will be much chess before that time, most notably the Olympiad in Baku, where both Carlsen and Karjakin will play. My favourites are, as mentioned earlier, Russia, USA and China.
>>68012857
Rating inflation is merely a consequence of the players themselves getting better, but 2785 would also be quite sufficient for a top 10 placement today. This is only to Fischer's credit, and his 6-0 performances over Taimanov and Larsen impress me to this day. His victories over Petrosian and Spassky less so, but that is a long story.
>>
>>68012919
Next time you make this thread Norway friend I'm gonna 1v1 you
>>
>>68013026
Very well, but I don't understand what you would achieve by doing so.
>>
>>68013064
You are Carlsen
>>
>>68013087
I'm not nearly as strong as Carlsen. If, by some miracle, my playing strength suddenly increased by a thousand rating points overnight, I would have very real chances in the next World Championship cycle, but as of now, I'm merely an average Norwegian club player.
>>
>>68012919

Though players are "better" nowadays, rating inflation has nothing to do with them being better since rating is determined by how good you are relative to others, ie: if everyone is better then ratings would stay relatively the same. Rating inflation is more to do with chess being more widespread and more people playing in rated tournaments than ever diluting the rating pool.

And I personally don't believe players today are any better than fischer or kasparov were. Maybe more solid theory, but today's game is completely different than it was in their time. Today, major tournaments are like 80% engine prep, 15% calculation and 5% spontaneous creativity, whereas back then there was only book openings and theory for prep and you would go into a game only having the first few moves planned.

Back then it was just about playing better chess. Now that super GM's might have entire lines memorized with the engine's top moves, it's not just about who has better raw calculation and creative strategy, but there's also a sub meta-game of knowing the best engine moves and having "surprise" moves that are less common than others to throw your opponent out of their memorized lines. This is the kind of shit Bobby Fischer saw coming and he hated it and made him come up with all kinds of chess variants to save the game before he quit chess.
>>
was paul morphy actually good or was he just less bad than his peers
>>
File: mozart.jpg (57 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
mozart.jpg
57 KB, 720x720
>>68013156
>>
>>68013278

if he were to enter a time machine and just randomly enter a super GM tournament from today he would get crushed, maybe win one game.

that said he is one of the GOATS because he was the only one who knew how to play chess in a time when everyone was still trying to figure shit out. If you gave him a time machine to today and allowed him a few months prep time he could very well compete with players today.
>>
>>68013346
who's the earliest player that could start to compete with the current GMs without prep time?
>>
>>68013382

I have no idea. I would say someone from the early to mid 1900's, but exactly who I'm not sure.
>>
>>68013189
So chess matches just come down to who forgets what the computer says they should do?
>>
>>68013418
capablanca?
>>
>>68013189
Your arguments are valid and well thought out. I agree that opening theory stands for much of the difference between the players of today and the players of yesterday. However, middlegame plans and patterns, as well as specific endgames that are common knowledge today, were once discovered by someone, and all later players can use this to their benefit, provided they have the time and ability to learn. You could compare it to Newton's words about standing on the shoulders of giants, and I myself know more about physics than Newton did, but I would never consider myself to be anywhere close to him as a physicist.

About openings, you only follow main lines for as long as both players decide to follow main lines, and getting a good game from a less theory-heavy opening is not as difficult as you think. Take, for example, the game betwen Carlsen and Tomashevsky from earlier this year.

>>68013278
He was perhaps the first player who played at GM strength, though I personally favour Wilhelm Steinitz as to that title. Today, he would probably be a strong IM or even a GM, which is much better than anyone of us will ever be, but nowhere near the world elite.
>>68013382
As said, Morphy or Steinitz. Which one was earlier is debatable, as Steinitz was one year older, but peaked later. Emanuel Lasker would definitely have been a contender, to an even higher degree.
>>
>>68008014
Care to open a 4chan lichess league?!
>>
>>68008014
>Carlshit
Wei Yi is coming for him
>>
File: top 42.png (226 KB, 750x1095) Image search: [Google]
top 42.png
226 KB, 750x1095
>>68015014
No, but he has finally managed to get above 2700 in the live ratings again. Let's see if he's still above 2700 when the Asian Championship is over.
>>
>>68008014
>0 games
>Rated 7th in the world
I don't think this semen slurping sport is for me
>>
>>68021142
It only shows the number of games since the last rating list. You lose your rating after a year of inactivity.
>>
>>68012335
>tfw not even in the top 50

Feels good actually. I was worried someone from here was wasting their time on chess LOL
>>
File: bobby-fischer-3[3].jpg (85 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
bobby-fischer-3[3].jpg
85 KB, 900x750
>>68008014
Will USA ever again have a player that's actually American?

Also, Kasparov still GOAT
>>
File: May 2016 rating list.jpg (3 MB, 2250x4500) Image search: [Google]
May 2016 rating list.jpg
3 MB, 2250x4500
>>68021357
>not even in the top 50

If that was the whole story, you could have been quite content with that, but this is embarrassing.
>>
>>68013428
This. That guy didn't need to read about theory and lines, he managed to find them himself.
>>
>>68008821
>>68008845
>>68008858
he actually has dual citizenship so he has to be considered also italian.
>>
>>>/tg/
>>
>>68021416
Caruana is American.
>>68021465
He is also Italian, but represents the United States.
>>68021457
Capablanca was very good, even by modern standards, but he wasn't vastly superior to Lasker. Kramnik is on record saying that Lasker was the first player of 2700 strength.
>>
>>68021424
>embarrassing that no one in this country gives a shit about a board game

Yes how embarrassing for me and my people
>>
>>68021498
There are people in your country who do care about the game, but they're simply not good enough to compete against the civilized world.
>>
>>68021518
Then all 3 of them should feel bad
>>
>>68013189
It's not exactly the way you're saying.

Engine prep only applies to the openings and only those that have a very theoretical nature (meaning that if you don't follow the best line of play, you're just going to end up in a hopeless position).

There are plenty of openings out there with many viable moves for both sides and the accurate memorization of them all is beyond anyone's ability.

Also, even if a super-GM forgets some prep, he can still often deduce the best line of playing based on some logic and calculation.

The actual point of competitive chess was always calculating as far as possible while including the strategical ideas that may arise X moves down the line - so nothing has really changed there.

And Bobby Fischer was straight-up crazy, so no point of bringing up his opinions here.

>>68021498
>It's 'Australian shitposter attacks' episode
>>
>>68021647
Thanks, Jan-Krzysztof. You have a good grasp on what chess is about.
>>
Based aronian
>>
>>68021424
We have a few lads there, good for them
>>
>>68021647
>And Bobby Fischer was straight-up crazy, so no point of bringing up his opinions here.

i agree with the point you defend in your post but saying this is downright retarded.
>>
>>68021783
I met Ruben Felgaer at the 2013 World Cup. He was knocked out early, but seemed like a nice guy.
>>
Anyone has some good chess book to recommend? I finished Tal vs Botvinik 1960 (Tal) and Play the Nimzo-Indian defence (Gligorić), Bobby Fisher teaches chess (Fisher). Something with openings or famous chess games would be great.
>>
File: QbR32El.jpg (285 KB, 1487x2048) Image search: [Google]
QbR32El.jpg
285 KB, 1487x2048
>>
>>68022278
If you liked Tal vs Botvinnik 1960, you should give "The life and games of Mikhail Tal" a chance. It's good as both a collection of annotated games as well as an autobiography.
>>
>>68022330
I like Tal so I'll give it a chance, thanks.
>>
Do esports players make more than chess players yet?
>>
>>68023143
do chess players make millions? If not then yes
>>
>>68023143
Some LOL players in China make much more.
>>
>>68021798
You're talking about the guy who was happy about 9/11 and said that USA has to be wiped out from the face of Earth.

His chess was awesome, but most of his opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt.

>>68023143
>>68023165
Top chess players (like 30-40 best in the world) do make millions.

However, I'm pretty sure some of the most popular E-Sports are comparable in terms of earnings.
>>
>>68012660
IQ much?
If weightlifting is a sport than using your brain at capacity is also a sport.
>>
>>68024136
>Top chess players (like 30-40 best in the world) do make millions.

No way. Carlsen earned about about 4-5 milions the year he won his first world title, with publicity and such.

Top40 players can live pretty well but they don't make milions.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.