[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EE + Working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Is this doable? I'm 23 and thinking of maybe signing up next semester, not working today but I'm looking for something, I can't be 5 more years just studying or I'll be fucking kicked out.

To say something I don't mind about studying Calculus and Physics on my own, but later classes like Intro to Microprocesors, Logical Design, Linear Systems and other advanced courses have the most fucked up schedules (like unique classes at 10am, 12am, 2pm), and also I don't know how doable it is working 8 fucking hours and having not much time to study.

I wish I hadn't been a lazy piece of shit and had started this at 18, fuck me.
>>
>I wish I hadn't been a lazy piece of shit and had started this at 18, fuck me.

doesn't really matter when you start op. My dad took night classes in his 30s so he could go from regular electrical work to EE. Just roll with it.
>>
Living the same thing right now.

I'm 22 and i just jumped back in the academic life. I have 4 to 5 years of study in front of me and i have to work for an appartment, cuz of gf. Its the time to fucking pay back our lazy stoned eighteen ass..

The trick is to accept we will have to change all our habits, cut off some tv/vidya time and built a routine all around Study/Work life. Get an easy job, like in a kitchen or anything not exhausting, 15-20 hours a week is just fine.

Its the moment of your life that will change all your futur: You can fuck it all up, or be thankful to your past-self at 30. Ooh, and get used to coffee ;)
>>
>>8067390
>tv
>2016
What is there to watch
>>
>>8066964
Just finished my BSEE at age 30. I went back when I was 25, working full-time as a bartender. Here's how you can do it:

Take classes at your local community college, maybe 3 classes per semester until you feel out a nice balance between how many hours you can work and how many classes you can take.

Get some kind of technical experience on your resume. If you're an electrician now, good. If you're not, go find a local company that does something vaguely related to EE and offer to volunteer with them (I volunteered with a local solar company). You can show up for 2 hours a week for a summer and that's a full summer spent volunteering on your resume.

The volunteer shit, along with a decent GPA from community college, will put you in a good position to get a paid internship after your second or third year. This is the most important part, because it's how you'll be able to afford to not work all the time and finish your fuckin degree instead. Go to every career fair, talk to everyone, hand out a million copies of your resume. Apply to shit you're not qualified for. Get an internship.

EE Internships pay great (20-30 dollars an hour), and most of the time, if you're not a fuckup, they'll invite you back and probably offer you a full-time job after graduation.

It's definitely doable. People do it all the time. I just graduated, and I'm about to go to work on the power systems in fighter jets for one of the largest defense contractors in the world. So that's how it's done. Go out there and get your dick wet, anon.
>>
>>8067542
not OP, but after leaving HS I took a year off an haven't been back since. currently 26 and working at the post office and hating it, so ive been doing research and im either gonna a welder or mechanical engineer. wish is my 'dream job'

thanks
>>
File: 1433959977303.jpg (111 KB, 712x750) Image search: [Google]
1433959977303.jpg
111 KB, 712x750
>>8066964
It's rough but doable.

I worked in regulation for about three year while I got a degree in computer engineering. I had a BS biology but after working almost every job you could get with that degree I knew it wasn't for me.

Just as an idea he was my life
>7am wake up
>8:30 work
>5:30 leave work
>6pm - 9pm university classes
>sat/ sun
>any classes the university offered

I was fortunate enough that my bosses weren't complete dicks and if I had odd hours for my classes they'd let me go but the understanding was I got paid hourly.

With my time spent in regulation I got handed a fuck load of jobs the second I walked out. I'm now working for a company that engineers software for SDS's.
>>
>>8067630
how many were you taking a semester
>>
>>8067679
It varied.

I took four at max though. You can't kill yourself with this kind of shit. There were various points where I seriously thought about quitting.
>>
>>8067685
ok, so like >>8067542 said, just take three a semester.
what about summer and winter classes?
>>
>>8067690
Yeah honestly don't kill yourself if you'r working a full time job. 13 credits might not seem like a lot at first but then there's studying and homework and shit like that.

I had the money to take classes year round. Part of the reason I got done so fast.
>>
>>8066964
Why would you work 8 hours a day?
Do part time, that way your work hours + school hours will be roughly equal to a full time job, that in general humans are supposed to be able to manage.

I currently do this. 5 hours of university in the morning and then 4 hours of work in the afternoon. Get back home at around 6 pm.
>>
>>8067701
some people have rent and bills to pay anon.
>>
>>8067708
That's true but the way OP worded it like "I'll be kicked out" sounds like he's just living with his mom and has/wants to work to atleast pretend to be a decent human being.

If he had bills to pay he wouldn't even be considering university.

But that said, I'm sure that a part time job can support a shitty appartment, water, electricity and wifi. And some food every now and then. Right?
>>
I went to an abet accredited engineering school that had a decent sized part time engineering student population of older people/people going back to college

A lot of them were working mostly full time, so obviously they could only take a couple classes a semester if that, but the school did have a curriculum that would allow you to do it over the course of many years by having night classes etc.
>>
24 here, 12 months into CivE. Luckily I live rent-free with my grandma, still having bills to pay sucks. Gf is a lawyer and prob gonna buy her own home before I'm done studying, planning to move in and help with bills/mortgage with barista money. Hopefully I can get a PT job doing CAD work before I graduate or work on a construction site over the summer or something.

Trying to work around a uni timetable sucks ass though. Classes are at the most random retarded times and so my 20 contact hours end up leaving no weekday times to work at all. Like if I have an 11am class I can't really do a morning shift, so there goes 3-4 hours of potential work time.
>>
>>8067717
Depends on where you live. Here, in California, the cheapest rent I can find for a one bed apartment in gang land cost around $800 a month
>>
>>8067731
find an internship. srsly
>>
>>8066964
Believe it or not, there are two ABET accredited online BSEE programs from non-meme schools (okay, ASU is kinda meme).

Stony Brook
http://www.stonybrook.edu/eeonline/

Arizona State
http://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/bachelor-science-engineering-electrical-engineering

That being said, I'm a bit skeptical of how they can work. For circuit courses, you can easily buy your own breadboard and components off Digikey for pretty cheap. But I'm not sure how this would work for courses like power electronics and electromagnetics where it's simply for viable to buy the lab equipment.
>>
>>8069580
*not viable
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.