[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RPGs in study, and the new trial board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Cogs.gif (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cogs.gif
97 KB, 600x600
So, as a few of you have probably noticed, there's a new trial board, /qst/.
From what I've seen, pretty good stuff, and it's actually shaping up to be one of my personal favorite boards.
So, I was wondering how many of you would participate in a little experiment with me:
Say there were a hardcore science story driven slow-form RPG on /qst/, where you would put your education to use solving technical problems, designing, collaborating, not-so-collaborating, etc.
Would you enjoy being involved with it?
It would serve as not only a place where you could be creative and have fun, which my god some of us need, but also (while not necessarily practically) practice and hone your skills, working with others and really growing your expertise. This is made primarily as a self-sustainable study tool.
A sort of grown up version of the "make reading and play time the same thing" philosophy in teaching.
I'm still working out some details, so that it can still be a fun game, but I'd like to hear your opinions, suggestions, etc.
Thanks.
>>
>>8046772
tbqh I'm not even sure how the new board works with all the dice rolls an shit. Seems like an expanded /tg/ dedicated to separate games per thread.

>Say there were a hardcore science story driven slow-form RPG on /qst/, where you would put your education to use solving technical problems, designing, collaborating, not-so-collaborating, etc.
Examples?

I guess individual posters could participate, but I doubt /sci/ as a group could collaborate on a single thread.
>>
>>8046783
In its current early stages, when broken down to really basic levels it would follow a format something like this:

>Problem is proposed by the OP
>Players suggest solutions to problem, work together to form a coherent, objective solution
>Problem will be solved
>New problem will arise

Obviously that would get pretty repetitive.
And of course, that begs the question of how does the OP create the problem, in what way should it be presented, how can anyone feel welcome to participate on a given problem, in such a diversely complex umbrella field of science and mathematics, when individual problems require individual sub-fields.

A lot of big issues to tackle.
>>
>>8046794
Thanks for spoon-feeding me anon, seems interesting after all. Also, where do the dice rolls come in in your proposed format?

Anyway, the problem I see is that for someone to actually propose a scientifically literate problem... well, they would have to be /sci/ themselves, which in turn means only /sci/ autists would be able to solve the problem and so forth, which would result in /sci/ exclusive threads, which I just don't see happening.

You could propose an example here and cross post it to see how it would go, but don't keep your hopes up. The only thing /sci/ can offer IMO is individual creativity and problem-solving skills based on a fundamental understanding of science, but not actual applied scientific knowledge because of what I explained above.
>>
>>8046811
Yeah I uh...
dice rolls...
I'll figure something out.
>>
>>8046831
Simplify it. What is your area of expertise? Make it like that "Calculus Made Easy" book where the whole thing is a story and you get to the end by solving problems, except make it less gay.
>>
>"RPGS in study..."
>not rocket propelled grenades

I am disappointed and unsatisfied.
>>
>>8046794
>identify problem
>collaborate with others
>find solution to problem
>move on to a new problem
>"Obviously that would get pretty repetitive"

You just described the process of actually doing science, why would someone on /sci/ find this repetitive?
>>
>>8046794
>Obviously that would get pretty repetitive.
Only if the problems are much too similar. Plus, it's not like people just play one game at a time.

>>8046831
>dice rolls...
Dice rolls work best when they're used to allow players to manage and recover from failures.

An example might a problem where (3d20-32) + a bonus from work needs to meet or exceed a challenge value. (ties might get a partial success) If the players have done enough work to ensure there work matches the challenge, then shit has a 50/50 chance of working. Putting more effort in will improve the probability of success, but with diminishing returns.

That way players will have to decide how much commitment any single project is worth, vs how much risk of failure is acceptable. You can set the mechanics of the game up to require the payers to make considered decisions.
>>
>>8046839
Unfortunately, doing this would limit it to physics and electrical engineering, and while both still relatively broad topics, that drops the potential playerbase even farther than making a hardcore science one in the first place.

>>8046862
Sorry senpai.

>>8046869
Trutru

>>8046922
Oh hold up, yeah that's pretty good.
I'm gonna spend a good portion of today building up a solid rule framework, and see where it goes from there.
Thanks man.
>>
File: cwSiye8[1].webm (570 KB, 410x236) Image search: [Google]
cwSiye8[1].webm
570 KB, 410x236
>>8046862
I agree with this guy.

This thread is now about rocket science !
>>
>>8047379
>Thanks man.
No problem. The 3d20 thing is an idea I've been kicking around for a while: I wanted a way to model rare and very rare outcomes without adding silly tables or extra rolls. It's nice to finally see a concept that it seems to fit well with.

I really ought to try running something myself one of these days. Good luck!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.