[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the USA recommend only about 60mg-100mg of Vitamin C
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: vitamin-c-benefits-for-health.jpg (24 KB, 280x260) Image search: [Google]
vitamin-c-benefits-for-health.jpg
24 KB, 280x260
Why does the USA recommend only about 60mg-100mg of Vitamin C per day, yet many scientists, foundations, and organizations recommend at least 1000mg per day?
>>
>>8016944
>Why does the USA recommend
That's a tough call. Usually I don't think of nations as being capable of recommending things beyond the expertise of the people that recommended it in the first place. Did nations attain particular agency at some point or are you just not sure where the recommendation actually originates?
>>
>>8016949
like this

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-c/dosing/hrb-20060322

>The recommended daily intake by the U.S. Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine for men more than 18 years old is 90 milligrams of vitamin C daily

>The upper limit of intake (UL) should avoid exceeding 2,000 milligrams daily in men or women more than 18 years old

That article goes into what this thread is about. I see people who take like 6 gram per day for skin and hair lightening effects from vitamin C.
>>
>>8016958
>the U.S. Food and Nutrition Board
Thanks. Hopefully OP will read that link some time.
>>
>>8016958
>>8016992
I-I am the OP..
>>
Vitaminc C deficiencies are hardly a problem,in the US. Those recommendations are,most,likely for poorer countries where vitamin deficiences are a real concern
>>
>>8016944
Vitamin C is water-soluble and as far as I've read anything over 150 is excessive and pointless.

t. Pharmacology book from 1978
>>
>>8016944
The health benefits of vitamin C are vastly inflated. The old wives' tale that it prevents colds, or helps fight them, is a dubious claim at best, and evidence is sparse.
As long as you're not in any danger of scurvy, you're probably fine. Consuming more vitamin C than you need will have no effect.
>>
>>8016995
Then put your source material in the OP next time.

Non specifying a source is a >>>/pol/-grade tactic.
>>
Linus Pauling took 3 grams daily
>two unshared Nobel Prizes
>lived 93 years
>>
>>8017072
This is why they say that vitamin C deficiencies is appauling.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.