[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amplifying the power output of a WiFi signal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1451742608175.jpg (23 KB, 385x386) Image search: [Google]
1451742608175.jpg
23 KB, 385x386
Ok so this might be a stupid question and I'm well aware of the fact that I'm pretty clueless at this, but I figure I'll ask anyways.

So from wikipedia it says that WiFi signals are limited to transmit up to 100 mW of power. How accurate that number may be is not what's important; what I'm interested in knowing is whether or not that number is a limitation by rule, or if it's a physical limitation. More specifically, can you somehow modify a WiFi signal to transmit more power (and I mean power in the physics sense as energy per second)? If so, what are the limitations? Could you possibly use a wifi signal to transmit, say, hundreds of watts of power?

btw I'm posting this on /sci/ because I feel like it might be a problem related to the physics of electromagnetism, waves etc. I don't really know I'm not a scientist pls no bully
>>
it is certainly possible to up it by many mWs

here's a demonstration of how to go about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8Wi7XRXCA
>>
>>8016615

It's a limitation by law. The point is to limit signals interfering with each other.

But sure, physically, there is no real limit. A WiFi signal is just radio waves, i.e. light. You can have dim lights or very bright lights. As it happens only a very dim light is needed to communicate at typical WiFi ranges.
>>
>>8016621
>>8016630
All right cool, now here's another question I've been thinking about.

Would it be possible to amplify a wifi signal, not from the transmission source, but rather at the receiving end? As in say I receive a 100 mW wifi signal, could I use some device to pick that signal up and rev it up on my end? Sorta like a transformer would increase the voltage of an incoming electrical current? Again I apologize if these are simple questions, I really have no clue about this but google didn't really help me out
>>
>>8016652
but what for? You want to send back that signal again somewhere else?
>>
>>8017611
Maybe to up the signal for both ends of it? If the sender can't do it remotely then maybe he can receive the signal and up it himself
>>
>>8016652
What do you mean by "rev it up"?

Transmit the same signal with more power from a transmitter attached to the receiver?

Or do you mean can we increase the range of the signal by increasing the sensitivity and accuracy of the receiver?
>>
m8 I'm going to stop you right there and tell you to read this guide and use it to help narrow and refine your google searches

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf
>>
>>8016652
I'm not so sure because its not my area of expertise but I believe there is something like that in RF circuit design. It would involve designing a really specific antenna with passive components.

If the end goal is to detect the signal from farther away, then one option is to make a better antenna. However, you would run into the physical limitation of the transmitter.
>>
File: .png (7 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
.png
7 KB, 819x460
>>8016652
I think a router chain might be the answer. Does pic related look like a solution? If so, it's really simple.
>>
>>8017632
maybe, maybe not.
I'd really like to know what OP is trying to get at so we can give a precise definitive answer. I feel like he or she is beating around the bush wasting everyone's time.

Just fucking tell us already what you have in mind and we will tell you how to do it.
>>
File: 1460724355249.png (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1460724355249.png
9 KB, 225x225
OP WATCH YOUR FUCKING THREAD YOU PIECE OF SHIT.
>>
>>8017642
I think OP is asking if the receiving end can somehow make the signal from the source stronger and is misunderstanding what it going on.

I think the answer to his question is "No, however, if you get a more precise receiver, you will effectively have the same result."
>>
>>8017648
Sorry I was sleeping

>>8017611
No I am not looking to send it somewhere else, I just want to amplify the power at the receiving end to, say, charge a battery.

>>8017621
>What do you mean by "rev it up"?
I think your latter suggestion is more in line with what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to re-send the signal back, simply pick it up and then try and manipulate the signal to get all the power out of it.

>>8017631
All right I'll look into some circuit design

>>8017632
nah I don't think this is what I'm trying to do

Everyone, I know that I am hugely ignorant on this topic and I'm sorry if I'm being unclear, but I'm trying to explain it as best as possible. In the absolute simplest terms I'm trying to charge a battery wirelessly over wifi, but a wifi signal doesn't have enough power in it to do that effectively, therefore I was wondering if it's possible to "pick up" some latent power that already exists in a wifi signal (assuming it does, which it very well might not, again I don't know). I'm looking to get more power out of a wifi signal at the receiving end, without changing the power of the wifi signal upon transmitting it. Is it possible?
>>
>>8017656
>I think OP is asking if the receiving end can somehow make the signal from the source stronger
this is pretty much precisely what I mean

>and is misunderstanding what it going on.
very likely, I have pretty much no experience in this field.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-20-03-23-37.jpg (59 KB, 704x196) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-20-03-23-37.jpg
59 KB, 704x196
>>8017726
This handy device boosts up to 1000mW. Wouldn't that improve your charging by 10 times?
>>
>In the absolute simplest terms I'm trying to charge a battery wirelessly over wifi,

lol wat
>>
>>8017765
Rectification
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.