[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Covering Space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Is homomorphism induced by covering map surjective? Does it naturally comes from surjectivity of covering map? Why is Hatcher's book not readable?
>>
>>8203430
Are you talking about the homomorphism of fundamental groups?
>>
>>8203506
Yes, sorry
>>
>>8203430
It's not. (the usual example of the reals and the circle).
It's injective, actually, because you can lift path homotopies. Look at the monodromy theorem.
>>
>>8203507
Not necessarily surjective as the last poster said, though its injective,see http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/Courses/421/421S4_0809.pdf Corollary 4.2
>>
>>8203515
>>8203516
I know that it is injective. I am looking at the real and circle example. Doesn't every loop f in circle has its origin in R via inverse of cover map? And does it not imply that every class of loops in circle has it's pair in R?
>>
>>8203523
Circle fundamental group is the integers.
When you lift a loop in he circle you get a path in reals, which can have different end point from the initial point. The lift actually measures the amount of turns the loop has made.
>>
>>8203526
>>8203523
Why are you guys lifting loops? The induced homomorphism still goes from pi_1(R) (trivial) to pi_1(S^1) (Z) which can never be surjective
>>
>>8203535
Whoa, but then it can't be injective, right?
>>
>>8203546
oops my bad. Ofc it is injective.
>>
>>8203546
It's the trivial homomorphism of course its injective

and there's a proof for general case in the post above anyway
>>
>>8203535
The lifting of loops is usually the way you find the fundamental group of the circle.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.