[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blind aliens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1467876533403.jpg (119 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1467876533403.jpg
119 KB, 700x500
ITT we discuss, how important sight is for scientific advancement.
Let's propose there were a planet where no species evolved eyes, and sonar would be the main form of navigation. Also, there's a species with intelligence comparable to humans. How far could they advance technologically? Would they ever become aware of space existing?
>>
>>8203420

Yes.

Now, go away.
>>
>>8203420
>Would they ever become aware of space existing?
Would they have some form of navigation? A sonar, for example?
>>
>>8203453
You baiting? And what I ment was that sonar won't work in vacuum, so they would have no way of gathering info from outer space, so they wouldn't know about stars. They'd have no idea about universe existing
>>
>>8203444
Why would you even say that, being that unpleasant is useless.
Nice trips though.
>>
>>8203460
>You baiting? And what I ment was that sonar won't work in vacuum, so they would have no way of gathering info from outer space, so they wouldn't know about stars. They'd have no idea about universe existing

And eyes don't work underground, yet we understand that the earth's core is made from iron without ever having seen it.

We built microphones - they can build a camera and point it at the sky to find out why it gets warm/cold over the day/night cycle. The huge burning mass of hydrogen above them will reveal itself.
>>
File: om554bf6b6[1].jpg (192 KB, 1403x699) Image search: [Google]
om554bf6b6[1].jpg
192 KB, 1403x699
Even though eyes are amazing devices, developing sight is incredibly common and easy for species. You don't need to have such a complex structure like ours, you only need a conic shape filled with photoreceptors.

I don't think any species would miss out some sort of sight input while evolving at all.
>>
File: starcarrier.jpg (31 KB, 305x500) Image search: [Google]
starcarrier.jpg
31 KB, 305x500
>>8203420
Did you get the idea from pic related?
>>
>>8203531
But how would they ever come up with idea of building a camera, they don't know about photons
>>
>>8203675
And how did humans come up with the idea of building radio?
>>
>>8203680
By figuring out radiation, the point was, is there a way for blind aliens even know that there's a better way of reciving information than hearing.
>>
> sonar sensors aren't a type of eyes
> a human level developed brain can't construct complex 3D object visualisations from sonar input

are 90% of /sci/ threads just retard bait?
>>
>>8203692
Sonar cant see photons, so they won't see stars, and they'd have no idea about universe existing. Am I repeating myself?
>>
>>8203692
They could feel heat, like >>8203531 suggested. So they could find out about infrared, and work from there.
>>
>>8203694
>>8203698
this for you cause I'm retard
>>
>>8203698
>>8203703

ah snap i forgot they can't see stars, well then they are doomed to be cavemen forever
>>
>>8203699
Their cameras have to translate their output to braille or something, it would take ages for them to realise what the spots in the sky actually are, which means that their worldview would be lagging way behind their technological developement. I just find it interesting to ponder what kind of theories they would come up with.
>>
File: 1465434986669.jpg (105 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
1465434986669.jpg
105 KB, 800x451
>>8203567
>>8203567
So how did photoreceptos evolve?
>>
>>8203420
you have eyes, yet you managed to be a fucking moron.

sight, along with all your other senses are absolute shit when it comes to understanding the universe at a fundamental level.

What does an electron look like anon? or for that matter try interpreting an electron with any of your classical senses. dipshit. one of the most interesting things about the universe is how inept we as a species are at measuring anything without extremely specific and precise instrumentation. we might as well be blind.

We didnt discover atoms by looking at dirt with our eyes, youve never seen a single quantized photon, nor can your see anything more then points of light when you look into space. Remember what people in the 1800s with fully working eyes thought stars were; heaven shining through holes in fabric.
>TL;DR
>you're an idiot, think a little you shit
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.