[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mangroves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I saw a report on mangroves on about how over 10,000 hectares of mangroves have died in Australia, and no one is paying attention to it since they are visually appealing. They seem to fairly important to the environment however, and I just wanted to know exactly why?

Also, there has been no set reason as to why they have all died apart from lack of water however I'd like to know about some other factors. So, my questions are; What are mangroves and what are their adaptations to deal with factors such as salinity, substrate, oxygen availability and wind?

Thanks!
>>
Pneumatophore's are an adaptation to low oxygen.

IIRC magrove habitats store more carbon per hectare than regular forests, and provide a nursery for the juveniles of many species of commercially important fish species.
>>
>>8198838
Mangroves seem pretty neat.
>>
>>8198840
Also, Grey mangrove (Avicennia marina) excrete salt on the underside of their leaves.

Lick the leaf and you can taste it.
>>
>>8198838
>no one is paying attention
uhm, we're in the middle of a fucking APOCALYPTIC CLIMATE SHIFT that will fuck the ecosystem over for fucking millenia, with species dying at record speeds, and no one is paying attention to that either.

people start paying attention a little when bees start going extinct.

>fairly important to the environment
matter of opinion. humans define their environment to span themselves, and maybe their family/friends.

the idea that humans are dependent on other parts of the ecosystem (which in turn depend on other parts) seems to be too complicated an idea to grasp.

anyway, point is where fucked. Fuck the mangroves, fuck'em, I say, fuck'em till they're dead. Fuck everything that's green and doesn't make me money, you fucking whores. die in fire
>>
>>8198926
More or less this. We're myopic gutter trash that doesn't really care about anything. A collective beast that is only capable of ravaging its surroundings until it finally grows to destroy itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5Or7bIVJk
"And we say, we're iiiinnn llllooooovvvvveeeeee with everything..."
>>
>>8198926

We're not fucked by any means. Absolutely no one on earth knows how climate change will start to affect changes in a persons normal day, but knowing humans and how versatile we are I'd say its a tad ridiculous to say we're all fucked and dead.
>>
>>8198941

Humans do things that show massive appreciation toward nature and life all of the time, stop trying to sound deep.
>>
>>8198945
>Living in underground cities major governments have already begun building into mountain ranges, the US included
>Not fucked
>Just going to "adapt" widespread ecological collapse away
Just stop. We're machines, and you're like a chainsaw that doesn't know it needs oil in its gasoline.
>>
>>8198947
A given individual is reliant, and actively uses, myriad things that do not appreciate or protect "nature". Again, the beast is collective, it isn't an individual.

Don't lack reading comprehension then pull your "ur jus tryin to b deep" horseshit. You're trying to shift your appearance so that others think you look balanced and aware of the big picture, but you really come off as a disgusting moron :^).
>>
>>8198949

yes, we will adapt. There will be massive amounts of death and strife but we will survive, I guarantee it. Barring complete destruction of earth humans will prevail, like you said they've already got insane shelters built for the worst. It would be incredibly hard for every single last human on earth to die.
>>
>>8198959
The surface doesn't necessarily need to ever reawaken, become habitable, or whatever. Seed banks aren't adequate to rebuild.
>>
>>8198957

Okay so how do you propose every single person on earth uses resources while constantly appreciating and protecting them? I didn't lack reading comprehension, you're ignoring entire massive movements and millions of people who actively try to live as ecologically friendly as possible and speak out to the world about impending environmental issues. Your the one ignoring the big picture - I'm not denying climate change.
>>
>>8198963

You think climate change is going to turn the entire surface of earth into inhabitable land? I don't think that's reasonable.
>>
>>8198967
Millions out of billions anon. The biggest of the (meaningful) big picture is in the rough dynamics we form, which have not changed much throughout history. Time goes on, and only technology gives us the means to be the same thing in a new way.

It always pans out the same. Same clustering of outcomes when you look at the entirety of our history when a given subset of a population is trying to do an anything, anywhere. The majority can never be spurred into motion until it's much too late to do anything other than full damage control, or survival for them (in this case the same as damage control phase).

Listen to the song, look up the lyrics if you can't understand them. It's about our disjointed supposed desires. The last line is the most important.
>>
>>8198971
It could. More likely it'll compromise soil quality by killing off nitrogen fixing bacteria, etc. People don't realize plants are as much interreliant as animals, as they also are on each other.
>>
>>8198978

Well we may be in a minority but that doesn't mean we have to give up, like you said the majority isn't budged until doom is imminent. I just don't think anyone should make definitive statements about what climate change will do to earth because at the end of the day no one knows for certain, we'll see what happens. The future tends to be more bizzare than anyone can predict, for better or worse.
>>
>>8198990
I think it's kind of a waste of potential, but don't really care if most of us die off. Myself included. We're part of nature, and I don't think the whole should allow deficient things to continue.

Too bad about all those other things that never had their chance. At least they had their deal for a while, until we came along.
>>
>>8198997
>don't really care if most of us die off. Myself included. We're part of nature, and I don't think the whole should allow deficient things to continue.
thats the fucked up part, though.
"humanity" will definitely survive in some form, while most other currently living macroscopic lifeforms likely will not.
>>
File: 1466432355528.png (48 KB, 882x549) Image search: [Google]
1466432355528.png
48 KB, 882x549
>>8198945
You are a deluded ignorant idiot. Humans will not last another 1000 years.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.