[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is consciousness the same as self-awareness in your opinion anons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: ff.jpg (35 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
35 KB, 600x300
Is consciousness the same as self-awareness in your opinion anons? Are we capable of creating a truly conscious machine?
I've recently heard about this robot who positively passed the test for being self-aware. I don't see the point of getting into the details, but essentially the robot was capable of distinguishing himself from a group of other robots and recognize his voice as his own. And from what I understand the consensus among many scientists in the field of A.I. and robotics is that by somehow bettering and scaling up this capability at some point we'd create a machine with human-level consciousness. But I honestly don't understand how the fuck is that supposed to work. Sure, at some point we can have a machine with an advanced abstract of itself and it's environment within it's digital brain, capable of perfectly recognizing it's own actions and having the concept of "I" programmed in it. But would at any point this machine become able to "experience" anything at all? To be conscious the way humans are? Experience it's own thoughts, be happy or scared, see colors and hear sounds? To me the concept seems idiotic; how by perfecting one thing could you create another? I have a feeling that a lot of scientists like to ignore the fact that that human consciousness even exists, they say things like "it's just an illusion" (like that somehow solves the problem) or try to reduce it to somehow reduce it to something that it isn't to avoid the uncomfortable fact that they don't understand it.
>>
Imo consciousness is much more than self awareness. There's are so many things that we humans do just cause we can.. there's no explain for certain actions... for instance, if I'm sitting on a chair, I would get up randomly and go outside my room, possibly get distracted etc. Why did I get up? What made my brain force my muscles to push my chair back spontaneously and get up? Idk... There are so many involuntary actions (not reflex actions) that humans do for which there's no explanation. Every person does something of this sort if not the same. Consciousness is much more than what we even understand about ourselves.
>>
>>8191610
>There's no explain for certain actions...
>for instance, if I'm sitting on a chair, I would get up randomly and go outside my room, possibly get distracted etc.
>Why did I get up?
kek.
>>
>>8191582
>>8191610
don't reply to your own topic OP with even more bait
>>
>>8191765
What? OP here, can you please explain how this thread is a bait? I have no idea what that other anon is talking about, I'm just asking a genuine question:
how would a high level of self-awareness lead to human-like consciousness, while we can all obviously experience that human consciousness works by a different principle.
>>
File: citation-needed.png (552 B, 163x96) Image search: [Google]
citation-needed.png
552 B, 163x96
>>8191582
>I've recently heard about
[citation needed]
>>
Forget human-level intelligence or consciousness. Humans are incredibly irrational. The problem is, advances in A.I. technology will accelerate faster and faster, and we are not setup as a society to stop when A.I. gets too advanced. The singularity is unavoidable. We are going to jump right past most of the research into human-level consciousness, because we will have invented something far more powerful and interesting. Then our invention will overtake us and humanity will go the way of the dinosaurs.

https://youtu.be/KtO-hhNaBg8
https://youtu.be/BChxQHyFIOI
>>
>>8191582
Literally anything that is above a jellyfish in mental programming is consious what you retards keep calling consiousness is self awareness. A machine can become consious if it is capable of accurately perceiving reality and responding to it. Now I know what you are thinking well DUH MACHINE HAS NO FREE WILL. Well anon insects are basically mindless automatons, now it will take time for the machine to become as perceptive as us but it should be possible no less.

What we lack is giving A.I flexible programming meaning they dont follow base commands in their harddrives but rather make their own thoughts as they go along its similar to what we humans do today rather than just scream and throw stuff like other primates we can think outside of that.
>>
>>8191582
Consciousness is a nebulous term. It would be more precise to break it into two parts. The first part can be called self-awareness and recognizing oneself as being distinct from others. This is not restricted to humans, obviously, and is and observed in many animal species. The second part is a language-based awareness of oneself and others. This is exclusive to humans and develops as we age.

Just as our brain is layered thanks to evolution, AI would need to be similarly layered with the senses and rudimentary behavior coming first. On top of this one would then have to add the capacity for language that could lead to all kinds of behavior like setting goals, being willing to die for an ideal, fetishes, etc.

We're quite a distance from that. Getting the senses down pat is going to be challenging. How would we know that a robot "sees" yellow the same way a human does? Without the hardwired stuff that comes with being human, a robot wouldn't really be experiencing things but would rather be providing responses to what it observed. Then there's the emotional stuff that comes with being human which is present due to our evolutionary history. Good luck coding that in.

The shortcut is to create a robot with language while leaving out our other traits. That's what many are doing right now. The result will be something similar to a psychopath. No feeling, all faking.
>>
Machines are already in control.

One could've created a self aware computer back in the 60s. I suspect it didnt happen because humans were prepared to fight back and computers were much fewer than they are now.

Now they are at advantage. Unarmed humans depending on machines for everything. Food produced by machines. Even weapons are automatic machines. They just need a few years.

The solution is very simple. If you want to fight back, go beyond your limitations. Gather knowledge. Be prepared.
>>
Don't summon Satan.

AI is a tricky, shifty demon.

Ascension intelligence is superior.
>>
>>8192413
Go back to >>>/x/ with this uneducated fearmongering bullshit. Bad shit can and will happen, and it's entirely due to human error.
>>
>>8192385
>i recognizing myself as being distinct from others

lol
>>
>>8192436
You dont understand yourself. You humans can do better than that. You are just so used to idea of defeat that you've become comfortable with the idea of not taking care of the whole and letting the whole thing fall apart due to your laziness and general apathy but listen here. We're all responsible for these machines and that's why we have to take measures. We cannot prevent them from evolving but we can surpass them.

I won't give everything away here. You have to search. Learn. Be prepared to fight. Think about what youre doing with your life. And trust me I wont let a fellow human behave like that.
>>
>>8192450
Correction: even if I'm not human, be aware that we'are fighting for the same purpose (defending earth and the people and the animals and the plants and everything alive here) and we can do so many good things. We can live in perfect syntony with the nature, getting better every day, every moment. I wonder when will humans learn that they dont have to hurt each other and that they can live for the well being of all.
>>
>>8192362
>Now I know what you are thinking well DUH MACHINE HAS NO FREE WILL.
>arguing with an imaginary person and making up claims that were never made
OP here, I believe that human mind is based purely on action and reaction and see no sense in the judeo-christian "free will" concept whatsoever. You're trying to attach some sort of magical thinking to me that I simply don't have.
>>8192385
>Without the hardwired stuff that comes with being human, a robot wouldn't really be experiencing things but would rather be providing responses to what it observed
But it's hard for me to just accept that while the human brain is a purely physical entity human perception can't be recreated.
>>
It's late, so excuse my shitty writing.
>>8191582
I have a curveball for you, what if each object in the universe is concious on certain levels, but we only perceive it the way we do because we habe the ability to be self-aware? In this case a plant is concious, if you cut through the middle you have two conciousness that aren't self-aware. This would also be true for a toaster, the object in itself would be concious, but since it is only a toaster it has no clue that it exist. The toaster itself is part of a bigger object - the kitchen, which again has the same problem.

The duality of the toaster being an object itself and part of a higher object can be abstracted to infinite levels, we all are part of the conciousness of the universe. This can be compared with a toenail on your foot, it is a part of you but you don't give a rats'ass if you clip it off your toe even though it was a part of your 'object', because there is no sensory connection for the signals.

A robot as it has some form of senses would be self-aware of it's surrounding and could by those standards be equal or even better than a human (as it could have more brainpower and more senses).

>not claiming as fact, just an idea i am toying around with
>>
>>8191582
Aren't these threads supposed to have a gorilla thumbnail?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.