[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: mathcore.jpg (542 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
mathcore.jpg
542 KB, 2592x1944
can someone tell me what's going on in this picture? Both sides seem identical to me, they both end up aproacching 1^infinity
>>
File: 1454299161710.png (17 KB, 240x150) Image search: [Google]
1454299161710.png
17 KB, 240x150
>>8183128

>graph paper

Kill yourself.
>>
>>8183128
They are not the same function.
>>
how the fuck do you get euler's number from any of that?
>>
Other has exponent 1/(1-x) and other 1/(x-1)

They are not the same
>>
>>8183410
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+x-%3E1+(2-x)%5E(1%2F(1-x))
>>
>>8183128
There are two things you seem to be missing. The first is that though [math]\lim_{x \to 1} x-1 = 0 = \lim_{x to 1} 1-x[/math], in the second limit, you're considering [math]2-x[/math] to the power of [math]\frac{1}{1-x}[/math] and [math]\frac{1}{x-1}[/math]. But [math]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1}{1-x}[/math] and [math]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1}{x-1}[/math] do not exist (because you're dividing by a function which goes to 0).

The second is understanding how limit compositions work in general. If [math]\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = L[/math] and [math]\lim_{x \to L} f(x) = M[/math], then [math]\lim_{x \to a} f(g(x)) = M[/math] only when f is continuous at L. If you thought of [math]f(x) = (1+x)^{1/x}[/math], and [math]g(x) = 1-x[/math], you wouldn't be able to evaluate this limit because f is not continuous at [math]\lim_{x \to 1} g(x) = 0[/math].
>>
>>8183451
To give a slightly informal argument about why the limits turn out the way they do, recall
[math]e^x = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{x}{n})^n[/math].
We're going to look at both limits from one direction to evaluate the actually limit of the function.
[math]\lim_{x \to 1^+} (2-x)^{1/(x-1)} = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{-1}{n})^n = e^{-1}[/math].
[math]\lim_{x \to 1^-} (2-x)^{1/(x-1)} = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{-n} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{(1 + \frac{1}{n})^n} = e^{-1}[/math].
The idea behind the second function is similar.
>>
File: u-trft.jpg (52 KB, 1396x748) Image search: [Google]
u-trft.jpg
52 KB, 1396x748
>>8183128
>>
thanks guys
>>
>>8183268
Graph paper rocks, the only other acceptable paper is unruled ink jet paper.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.