[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
medical question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: fuggin.gif (38 KB, 528x359) Image search: [Google]
fuggin.gif
38 KB, 528x359
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here know about swollen lymph nodes? basically both of my 'midjugular' ones have swollen up (i think) in the past couple of days and im wondering if thats how it works? like does one swell and then the ones connected to it follow or should i be worried its something else? i have a doctors appointment book but its not for a couple of weeks
>>
>>8182723
Edema is just excess fluid. It depends on what you have.
>>
>>8182743
it doesnt look like edema, more two pea sized bumps on my neck
>>
>>8182754
Not particularly educated on physiology but as far as I understand, lymph nodes swell up all the time, especially if you are at all sick. The lymph system is for "cleaning" and so there are endless reasons it could be overloaded.
>>
>>8182723
I remember my high school nurse would always checked them, as swelling is often associated with early signs of a sickness, much like a fever. Many things can cause it. Most likely not life threatening, but take it easy rest and fluids and such.

I however never had swollen lymph nodes as my tonsils would swell instead, which is why the dumb nurse never thought I was sick even when I was. In fairness I have a high normal body temperature and rarely changed much even when I was sick and I only get mildly sick for a day or two a year, my immune system is insane compared to most. But good care and having tonsils probably doesn't hurt.

In short health is complicated, you ain't getting the advice you need from the internet.
>>
>>8182723
Reactive changes are very common, essentially every time you get any minor kind of sickness they'll get a bit swollen.

Now if they become grossly enlarged, above 2 centimeters per node, or progressively growing over a long time, it's cause for concern.
>>
>>8182723

Depends really.

If they are swollen and they hurt to touch them, then they are most likely just reactive nodes have had been activated by the presence of pathogenic antigens in the lymph and are going about cleaning it up/making antibodies. Overall nothing to be worried about.

If there are several that are swollen, firm, rubbery and do not hurt at all to the touch then thats more concerning. Especially if they have been there a long time. Also if you have been feeling fatigued, have persist fevers, been losing weight, and wake up at night with your sheets drenched in sweat. Then thats more likely to be a lymphoma.
>>
We really do need a /Med/
>>
>>8182723
Almost certainly indicative of illness. The nodes swell up when they're fighting an infection, which is normal. You can apply compresses if they start to be painful, but some tenderness is to be expected.
>>
>>8182923
are you me?
my lymph nodes never swell
>>
File: Battle of Nuuanu.jpg (80 KB, 665x374) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Nuuanu.jpg
80 KB, 665x374
>>8183712
No

Trust me, I am me and there is no one like me to the point of absurdity. It is one of the reasons everyone tells e to write a memoir, as my life has been different to say the least. And things will get even more interesting once I get a better job that gives me free time and a disposable income.

Also, do you have your tonsils?
They use to say tonsils were a vestigial organ you didn't need. And it was common for a time to remove them as they were constantly getting infected. I was apparently the only kid in my high school with them with is why the nurse made bad assumptions. However now they think it is part of the immune system as the infected area is away from all vital body parts and the extra fluid flows out of your blood stream and into and into your stomach acid. (pic related if you think about how the body choose the battle site of the tonsils, basic warfare strategy, the military should really think about studying the immune system as a war model)
>>
>>8184103
can you and i talk? i feel really compelled to talk about our lives together this is a different anon who you have interested.
>>
>>8184298
Sure, but I am not sharing any major identifying stuff as I have a deep fear anything I do will come back to hunt me. Mainly because people constantly fail to compartmentalize things and never bother to fully understand the context.

Anything you want to talk about?
>>
>>8182923
Tonsils are basically lymph nodes, it's a more common site for inflammation because it's in touch with all of the outside worlds shit.

>>8182974
>>8183002
These.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.