[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Airfoil Performance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: airfoil2.png (244 KB, 1600x818) Image search: [Google]
airfoil2.png
244 KB, 1600x818
Will indenting the trailing half of an airfoil result in increased performance?
>>
>>8175123
No, that would decrease lift by acting as a diffuser. High speed air = low pressure. Low speed air = high pressure. Energy is conserved between pressure and kinetic energy.
>>
>>8175123
no. you don't want boundary layer separation that close to the stagnation point
>>
Ok but how do planes fly upside down? Wouldn't air foils make them crash?
>>
>>8175123
This guy >>8175129 is right but his explanation is wrong.

That configuration would probably increase lift due to flow separation. However that flow separation would massively increase your drag, much more than lift. So therefore your L/D performance would plummet.
>>
>>8175123
run it through Solidworks flow simulator and find out.
>>
File: 20160630_213426.png (577 KB, 1439x2067) Image search: [Google]
20160630_213426.png
577 KB, 1439x2067
The wider angle where the air flowing above the wing and the air flowing below the wing, the less net lift the wing will generate.
>>
>>8175166
Was that the program used to generate the bovine aerodynamics image?
>>
>>8175147
By flying at a non-zero angle of attack to generate lift. Normal planes can't really fly upside down by the way, and it isn't due to the shape of the airfoil (though it doesn't really help). It's 90% due to how the plane is built, it's just not designed to take loads upside down. Not to mention if you have no fuel pump then you can't even get gas to your engine if the plane is upside down.

Military planes are built to ridiculous specs, and use specialized airfoils. Even then I'd be pretty surprised if any were specficially designed to fly upside down for extended amounts of time. Flying is hard.
>>
>>8175172
uhh, might have been. but looking at it i would guess Fluent or Ansys.

the only reason i mention SW flow is because its piss easy to use and doesn't require any programming know how. for simple 2D applications like this its ideal. not shilling for Dassault in particular, but /sci/ really should try more CAD/Engineering packages. most of the off-the-shelf brands are basically science video games now.
>>
>>8175173
I know that American fighter planes like the P51, P47 and P38 were designed to be able to fly at 135 degrees from the horizon for a reasonable amount of time. But most planes will stall after a few seconds flying inverted.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.