[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/ons, I majored in the humanities and lately I'm getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: The_Normal_Distribution.svg.png (122 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
The_Normal_Distribution.svg.png
122 KB, 2000x1500
/sci/ons, I majored in the humanities and lately I'm getting extremely interested in statistics.
Do you guys have any recommendations on a good textbook to start from? Any online resources to use (khanacademy is not doing it for me, everything is too basic). I'd like something like the Yale Courses you can find on YouTube, where you can watch whole classes of undergrad courses.
>>
>>8168125

Foundations of Probability by Kallenberg is a pretty accessible introduction.
>>
>>8168125
If you want some thing new, look up some undergrad syllabi, they usually contain a text book. I wouldn't recommend that though. Try some used book stores in your area. I went to a dollar book store in LA and found a classical physics book from the 50s that was virtually identical to the one I was assigned.
>>
>>8168148
I'm not from the US, so i think I might have some issues. I have a book from an undergrad course I had on Statistics applies to the social sciences, but that crap is full of errors I've already caught with the Khan lessons.

>>8168131
Thanks, will look for it!
>>
>>8168131
Holy shit, I've forgotten everything I learned 15 years ago on my set theory classes. The notation is fucking me up completely.
>>
File: 9781466575578.jpg (29 KB, 445x648) Image search: [Google]
9781466575578.jpg
29 KB, 445x648
>>8168125
I'm currently learning from Blitzklein's "Introduction to Probability" and the lectures from Harvard's Stat110 (which he teaches and uses the book for)

http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/home

It's very good and places high emphasis on developing an intuition for the subject. You can find the book is on lib gen.
>>
>>8168240
Since learning probability in high school and further in discrete math, I have only taken a really basic stat101 e-learning course. Would you or anyone else mind giving an rough overview of what there is to learn in satistics beyond really simple shit like mean, standard deviation, and normal distributions? I don't really understand what I would be studying if I were to jump into a course. Thanks.
>>
>>8168240
That's really useful, thanks anon!
>>
>>8168248
I'm thinking of applying statistics to lexical analysis in my field, actually it's just a post-doc idea right now.
I think I can do some pretty novel and interesting stuff if I can at least get a good grasp of probability and adapt it to work with linguistics and paraconsistent logic.

Maybe I'm just crazy, though.
>>
File: Capture.png (169 KB, 700x663) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
169 KB, 700x663
>>8168248
I'm no expert but there's really a lot of stuff beyond that. I mainly wanted to get into it because I was reading a lot of stuff in robotics and machine learning that had to do with random variables, expectations, inference, conditioning, crazy distributions, etc.

The crap they teach you in intro stats is the watered down bare minimum because people like psych and bio majors need to take it.
>>
>>8168240
His stutter is hard to get by, but I'm still enjoying this.
>>
>>8168125

i hated statistics as an undergrad, but loved probability as an engineering grad student. this is the book we used, but perhaps the negative comments should be taken as a guide.

https://www.amazon.com/Probability-Random-Variables-Stochastic-Processes/product-reviews/0071226613/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1
>>
>>8168240
This looks pretty good as a start.
>>
>>8168125
>I majored in the humanities
Don't worry about it, you won't gain any significant knowledge anyway.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.