[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Group theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 150px-Cayley_graph_of_F2.svg.png (7 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
150px-Cayley_graph_of_F2.svg.png
7 KB, 150x150
Hi /sci/. I recently started learning about fundamental groups in algebraic topology. It worked fine for me until i needed some actual knowledge of group theory (normal subgroups, free groups, generators...) .

What do you recommend as a good reading for group theory?
>>
File: Untitled.png (288 KB, 642x501) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
288 KB, 642x501
>>8166961
armstrong is a decent introduction
for all the details you can go with robinson
>>
>>8166961
You could honestly just pick up any Algebra book, and what you're looking for will all be in the first chapter or so. Hatcher also has a sufficient exposition on free groups in the section on the Van Kampen theorem.
>>
>>8167121
thanks, I was looking for it because of Van Kampen theorem
>>
>>8166961
Why would you try learning Algebraic Topology without first knowing Algebra?
>>
>>8167128
well i did completed 2 courses of algebra but it was few years ago and I fucking hated it. Now, i must face it again
>>
>>8166961
Pinter is cheap and easy
>>
>>8167136
Since I guess you know the basics: kernels, relations, fundamental thm of abelian groups, inner product I recommend Robinson. Even If you are iffy on these subjects then I still recommend reading as far into as you can. It's review chapter on the basic material is so terse as to be enlightening.

If you actually can't find it I will provide a dl
>>
>>8167064
>>8167626
>Robinson
>writes homomorphisms from the right
why.jpg
>>
>>8166961
>>8166961
A Survey of Modern Algebra is the best introduction for the basics, like the stuff you listed.
It covers fields and vector spaces, rings and modules as well, which will be important when you get to cohomology.
>>
>>8167653
he uses an exponential notation, which jives with the fact that most homomorphisms encountered in nature are conjugation
>>
>>8167671
There was a push for that notation sometime in the 80s that has since died. Its more natural. Either way it doesnt matter. The book is still plenty readable.
>>
>>8167151
>Pinter is cheap and easy

just like ur mum lol
>>
>>8167653
God is right handed.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.